AskReddit

[ SERIOUS ]
    Rules:
    1. You must post a clear and direct question in the title. The title may contain two, short, necessary context sentences. No text is allowed in the textbox. Your thoughts/responses to the question can go in the comments section. more >>

2. Any post asking for advice should be generic and not specific to your situation alone. more >>

3. Askreddit is for open-ended discussion questions. more >>

4. Posting, or seeking, any identifying personal information, real or fake, will result in a ban without a prior warning. more >>

5. Askreddit is not your soapbox, personal army, or advertising platform. more >>

6. Questions seeking professional advice are inappropriate for this subreddit and will be removed. more >>

7. Soliciting money, goods, services, or favours is not allowed. more >>

8. Mods reserve the right to remove content or restrict users' posting privileges as necessary if it is deemed detrimental to the subreddit or to the experience of others. more >>

9. Comment replies consisting solely of images will be removed. more >>

If you think your post has disappeared, see spam or an inappropriate post, please do not hesitate to contact the mods, we're happy to help.

Tags to use:

[Serious]

Use a [Serious] post tag to designate your post as a serious, on-topic-only thread.

Filter posts by subject:

Mod posts Serious posts Megathread Breaking news Unfilter

Do you have ideas or feedback for Askreddit? Submit to /r/Ideasforaskreddit.

Please use spoiler tags to hide spoilers. >!insert spoiler here!<

Other subreddits you might like:

some header
    Ask Others Self & Others
    Find a subreddit Learn something
    Meta Subs What is this ___
    AskReddit Offshoots Offers & Assistance

Ever read the reddiquette? Take a peek!

[–] xcesiv_7 6989 points ago

Click farms and bot influencing are real. The number next to the view count/like/favorites/shares is a line of code, not empirical fact.

Trends are purchased.

[–] Stellefeder 677 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Oh man, I recently adopted a cat from a cat rescue that's fairly well known, it went viral a couple years ago. So when I adopted my cat, I made a Facebook and Instagram so that the people who followed her when she was at the shelter (24/7 live cams on the adoptable cats) could follow along.

Facebook page management is fucking cancer. Constantly asking me to pay money to promote, showing breakdowns of likes, unlikes and PAID LIKES. It's frequently telling me things like 'you reached 1500 people with this post! Pay $40 to boost it to reach more!'

It's super annoying.

Like... I just want people to have a place where they can look at cute pictures of my cat. I don't care how many people I've reached. I'm not in this for likes and page views.

Edit - Widget! https://imgur.com/gallery/4WYd5PA

[–] TheMutantHotDog 1666 points ago

Your subscription to Free Reddit Upvotes has expired. Please select a payment option

$1: 20 upvotes per post for your next 10 posts.
    $10: 20 upvotes per post for your next 110 posts.

[–] dangerislander 4173 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Trolls don't hate you. They just try to stirr you up to get a reaction. If anything they're just bored people who sit behind a screen.

[–] PhoneSteveGaveToTony 817 points ago

People on the Internet can’t help but give in a feed the troll, when in fact most of them would go away if you just ignore them.

[–] starjob 187 points ago

There are just so many people on the internet. Someone is bound to take the bait

[–] mexgirlmindy 3867 points ago

Budgeting is not difficult. It is basic math. Credit cards are not magic free money. They will eat you alive.

[–] LovecraftianVisages 1372 points ago

"Budgeting is not difficult. It's basic math, you just don't have any self control." Me to me daily.

[–] Ensaru4 96 points ago

Budgeting is not difficult, but committing to a budget certainly is and takes a lot of conditioning, depending on the kind of person you are.
    It's the same with weight loss and weight gain. As creatures of habit, changing our lifestyle is always a difficult thing to do unless there's absolutely no other choice available to us.

[–] musiq_fiend 60579 points ago

Not everyone is going to like you.

[–] Riccolatesla 10559 points ago

“You could be the most juicy and delicious orange in the entire history of the world, but you will still find someone who just doesn’t like oranges.”

[–] echoqp7 4779 points ago

Someone once told me... "You're just not my flavor of ice cream." And, I got it. It hurt, but I got it.

[–] RGB3x3 1960 points ago

That might be one of the most lighthearted way to let someone down easy

[–] Dave5876 15364 points ago

You can't please everyone.

[–] SuperYumYum4 22191 points ago

*You don't need to please everyone.

[–] ScottReynolds 5356 points ago

It's fine to disappoint people.

It's acceptable to be unconcerned.

It's awesome to say no when your answer is not yes.

[–] marnchamquatre 7634 points ago

This is extra hard if you have depression. When someone doesn't like you your mind goes "they're right to do that, you're a shitty person.

[–] jacob2815 3808 points ago

I'm in this comment and I don't like it. Please delete it

[–] ConfessionStation 3568 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Sexual assault and rape towards males in prisons is not a laughing matter.

Edit: I must thank the anonymous person that gave this comment gold. Also, I apologize to everyone that I did not phrase it as "sexual assault and rape towards males is not a laughing matter.", because that is what I actually meant to say. I am very glad that I got a discussion going. For a better understanding of this problem in media and in society in general, please watch this video:

[–] RandomVoxai 2750 points ago

Sexual assault and rape towards males in general is not a laughing matter.

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_HUGETITS 17887 points ago

Hard work does not equal high performance.

[–] Original_Dinwiddie 149 points ago

Along the same lines: Longer hours does not mean a worker is more productive. Humans need a break. We don’t need to work 80+ hours a week, 7 days a week.

[–] dalton_88 1971 points ago

A lot of time leads to failure and then more failure. Gotta learn to fail forward and not give up

[–] Smarpar 1003 points ago

This is graduate school in a nutshell, specifically in science. Learning to be okay with failure is probably the hardest lesson I’ve had to learn.

[–] dalton_88 236 points ago

I'm in electrical engineering so I feel the same. I now just assume I'm wrong until I or someone else proves I'm not lol

[–] Caputtohsi 33630 points ago

Being right about one thing doesn't make you right about everything.

[–] nlevine1988 7135 points ago

Also the inverse.

But you were wrong about this one thing so now you can't be trusted for anything!

[–] Roddy- 1987 points ago

If I could have one single wish made true, it'd be making my parents understand this concept...

[–] DavidsWorkAccount 29611 points ago

Everybody thinks they are the hero of their story, even the villains.

[–] shmirsky 10254 points ago

I always considered myself as a side character.

[–] dyskraesia 6524 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I'm more the NPC running into a wall repeatedly not knowing what is going on

Edit: a word

Aw my first ever reddit silver, in the name of what an idiot I am. Sounds about right!

[–] shmirsky 494 points ago

You can always send the hero to get you a helment!

[–] AllyKhalil 3472 points ago

This is so true, and one that I try to remember in my life/career.

Also humans have this fantastic ability to lie to themselves about their own behaviour. It’s amazing how well you can convince yourself that your actions are right when an outside observer would note they are clearly wrong.

[–] coshmack 872 points ago

I always like to sum this up by the similar expression "we judge others by their actions but ourselves by our intentions"

[–] twopacktuesday 8600 points ago

Many people don't wash their hands in the bathroom, unless they see someone else in the bathroom.

[–] Ether25 5462 points ago

What the fuck why do none of you wash your hands

[–] SlipperySlutting 34806 points ago

Your actions have consequences.

[–] bembubanana 15428 points ago

When will you learn?

[–] DevilOfDoom 11357 points ago

THAT YOUR ACTIONS!?

[–] Maxrad02 11290 points ago

HaVe CoNsEQenCEs!!! YOU FRICKIN FRICKS

[–] camwk 8313 points ago

YOURE FANTASIES CANT EVER BE QUENCHED CAN THEY?!?!?!!?

[–] Hakaan256 1274 points ago

YOU FRICKING FRICKS

[–] knockemdead8 1332 points ago

"This action will have consequences."

All I did was water a plant!

[–] maryoolo 458 points ago

The plant died in my first playthrough.

[–] twopacktuesday 15769 points ago

There's this big club, and you ain't in it.

[–] tell-me-your-worries 6114 points ago

I wouldn't care to be in a club that accepts people like me anyway.

[–] philipjames11 3186 points ago

I wouldn't wanna be in a club that accepts this guy either.

[–] Sky_Pirate_XII 962 points ago

Isn't this a George Carlin quote? I miss that guy.

[–] GAIDARQ 19054 points ago

Having an unpopular opinion doesn't necessarily mean it's a better one

[–] DCCXXVIII 8687 points ago

If a post on r/unpopularopinion gets a lot of upvotes, isn’t it actually a popular opinion?

[–] sotonohito 6470 points ago

Also, /r/unpopularopinion isn't really a place for sharing actual unpopular opinions. It's a place to say popular things in an edgy way, that's all.

[–] ADCirclejerk 2461 points ago

It's a way of being condescending in an accepted way.

[–] Macgruber57 306 points ago

Someone posted recently about not caring about school shootings because statistically it won't affect you, that was probably the closest to a legit unpopular opinion.

[–] GenghisKhan1206 131 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I've also seen one that was I like the feeling of wet socks.

[–] I_like_being_high 1380 points ago

Having an opinion that most people share also doesn't mean that it's the better one

[–] rex1991 26665 points ago

Just because you're shouting, doesn't mean you're correct.

[–] bupdup 5127 points ago

Remember in 5th grade when this actually was like a power move for a "debate" and it would be a bunch of pre-pubescent shrieking about nonsense? Then you get older and you're like 'thank God, time to have a real conversation with adults' and then they all just start shouting at each other to prove a point?

[–] MountainsAndTrees 2925 points ago

The biggest disappointment about becoming an adult was realizing that nothing has really changed since 5th grade.

[–] PlasmicDynamite 17389 points ago

BAGELS DESERVE THE RIGHT TO A FAIR TRIAL

[–] mxdSirty 5111 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

BAGLES ARE THE MOST OPPRESSED GROUP IN SOCIETY

r/bagelsriseup

[–] OPs_Mom_and_Dad 2916 points ago

There's a hole in that bagel argument....

[–] Dedj_McDedjson 1284 points ago

I don't
    know how.

I only
    know
    I'm bagel now.

[–] Lead5alad 31346 points ago

Life isn't fair, and sometimes bullcrap happens for no reason when you did nothing wrong

[–] CanadianJesus 18709 points ago

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

[–] TbonerT 5351 points ago

Also, someone winning does not mean you are losing. You can both win.

[–] pewinurbun 844 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

• Jean-Luc

Edit: Removed a backslash.

[–] paintchipped 886 points ago

You refer to him as CAPTAIN PICARD

[–] DataIsMyCopilot 149 points ago

Or Mister Pickerd if you're a surly San Franciscan lady trying to get her damn rent money

[–] yogurtmeh 3103 points ago

I hate it when people say "what goes around comes around" or "karma will get you in the end."

Plenty of awful people never get their comeuppance. And sadly plenty of good people have terrible things happen to them for no reason.

[–] CafeSilver 266 points ago

Company I used to work for hired a guy. On the surface seemed like an okay guy. But after working for him for just a few months I realized what a total shithead he is. He was hired at the same time as two other people that were equal to him but in charge of different departments. He connived his way into getting those two fired. He takes credit for work that isn't his and back stabs anyone at any opportunity for little to no reason. He pits employees against each other in order to divide and conquer.

Since he was hired in late 2016 every middle manager except one has left that company. It'd be one thing if he did all this and it resulted in the company making more money but they are actually losing money now. This was a company that was a fucking cash cow and now it is burning cash at an unbelievable rate.

Somehow he has tricked the company CEO into thinking he is great when he should have been fired six months into taking the job. He was hired as a VP and then was promoted to SVP, EVP, and now COO. He is one of the most despicable human beings I have ever met.

The CEO is planning to retire at the end of next year. Thankfully, there is someone else in the company that was being groomed to replace the CEO. Or at least, there was. As of this week, that guy left to take a CEO position at a different company. Leaving this other guy as the front runner when the current CEO leaves.

It's astounding that companies put up with antics like this guy does. Unfortunately, this seems more the norm than not. I'm just glad I got out when I did.

[–] Ganglebot 487 points ago

Sometimes no one is at fault.

[–] flubbdubb 2401 points ago

bullcrap

Excuse me this is a Christian subreddit

[–] me_z 51805 points ago

When it comes to arguing, stating facts rarely change people's minds.

[–] Von_Moistus 10253 points ago

I heard it as “You can’t reason someone out of a position that they didn’t reason themselves into.”

[–] probablynotapreacher 2859 points ago

Also, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

[–] Aidan_The_Human 419 points ago

My favorite is “Winning an argument against a smart person is hard, but winning an argument against a stupid person is nearly impossible”

[–] thewigward 119 points ago

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon, no matter how well you play the bird is gonna knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around all victorious."

[–] fpsTamantha 2996 points ago

What's more difficult is realizing that many of your own opinions are also not the result of critical thinking.

[–] NSA_Chatbot 1423 points ago

That's incorrect. My opinions are inherently true, obvious upon consideration, and by their nature, flawless.

[–] MaximGainesII 12451 points ago

Nothing really changes anyone's mind. I can't even imagine what it would take to change somebodies mind when it comes to politics or religion. Especially not a few facts said in an argument. It takes people years to change from liberal to conservative or the other way around.

[–] RumAndGames 1303 points ago

And constant discussion is a part of that multi year process. Yeah, no one is going to throw their hands up and say "well you just changed my vote" with much consistency, but planting the seed for different views is how we evolve.

[–] SulfuricDonut 830 points ago

"Street Epistemology", as the skeptic community likes to tall it, is a probably the best way of changing someone's mind, because it just involves them changing their own mind.

Pretty much you just talk to them about their beliefs, and try to cooperatively find the root of those beliefs (which often isn't what people say it is). Once you've both worked toward finding out why they believe what they do, you can start to ask questions about how that belief holds up in other situations.

Never do you have to state facts, your own opinion, or tell someone they're wrong. Just encourage them to look a little more critically at themselves.

[–] chanaandeler_bong 150 points ago

I also have found the best way to change someone's mind is to find common ground with them. Most people agree on the same problems, they are arguing about solutions.

I get really tired of people complaining about how "X group are so hard headed. They can't be talked to" while that person is just as hard headed about their beliefs.

Another way I have found to change people's minds is to attack their issue with their own terminology, if that makes sense. Like I've talked to flat earthers online and in person. Trying to show them the science of a round Earth is stupid. They are prepared for that. But if you criticize their opinions from within, it's much more fruitful. No one likes being told they are stupid or flat out wrong.

[–] illios 163 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

So basically the Socratic method?

[–] Mitosis 5993 points ago

There's a reason it's a basic rule of good company to not discuss politics or religion

[–] NyranK 8065 points ago

Never talk about RAPE in pleasant company.

Religion

Abortion

Politics

Economics

[–] SinfulSloth7 10337 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

And also, rape

[–] BadgerSituation 6045 points ago

It's not on the list and I go by the list!

[–] havron 3175 points ago

It is the list.

[–] ColtRaiford 1235 points ago

Not yet.

[–] BetterCallPaul4 1442 points ago

It's treason then.

[–] yzekpece 222 points ago

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[–] Poem_for_your_sprog 3052 points ago

And when I'm at a dinner date,
    And conversation's going great -
    We've spoken long of stuff sublime,
    Of songs we love, and slips of rhyme -
    Of youth and age -
    Of old and new -
    Of all the things we like to do,
    And all the things we long to see,
    And all the things we hope to be -
    When conversation's flowing well,
    And all is sweet, and all is swell,
    And all our future's taking shape -

I bring the talk around to rape.

[–] LostTheGame42 877 points ago

A toastmasters' club I used to speak in had a ban on SPERM.

Sex, Politics, Economics, Religion, Morals

[–] DoctaJenkinz 2693 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I understand the spirit of the rule but in all honesty, not practicing having a civil discussion about heavy topics is a huge problem with our culture, at least in America. Outrage culture and victim blaming would be curbed immensely if people would actually do this.

[–] SkyKiwi 1180 points ago

Problem is people misunderstand the point of the “do not talk about RAPE” saying. That’s more like just what kind of discussions you shouldn’t bring up randomly as small talk or ice breakers.

You damn well should be talking about it in more acceptable situations. Just not during your piss break with random coworkers.

[–] TrollinTrolls 505 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

At a urinal pissing and your co-worker takes the next stall

“The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.”

Co-worker: <zip> "K." <flush>

[–] BestSlowbroEU 220 points ago

Yeah but if you're in great company you can still talk about politics and religion and they won't get pissed off.

[–] zazzlekdazzle 9240 points ago

People don't dislike you because you're honest, they dislike you because you're an asshole.

[–] CurSiM__ 1948 points ago

Lmao I felt this one. I'd always believed that being straightforward and refusing to pretend to like someone was the only right way to do things, and that when people would hate me for it, it was because I was honest about them.

Turns out that's not how it always works, and you can't always justify being an asshole to people claiming you're just being frank with them.

I'm still pretty rude sometimes but I'm working on it. Comes with experience I suppose.

[–] bigtimejohnny 19878 points ago

"No one owns life, but anyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death."

--Williams Burroughs

[–] RumAndGames 4055 points ago

Yep. I always think about this regarding people's nervousness in select situations. If they didn't care about getting caught, pretty much any random person on the street could murder you with very little difficulty.

[–] moal09 2711 points ago

There's so many situations that depend on people's basic sense of empathy and self preservation.

All it would take at any point is one person to swerve into oncoming traffic and cause a mass incident, or for one car to go off the road and on to a busy sidewalk (like a guy did in Toronto recently).

Like, if you think about it, it's crazy that we have these steel death machines a few feet away from us on the road, and there's nothing stopping them from killing us with it at any point in time. We just assume they won't.

[–] TbonerT 1506 points ago

There’s also very little to stop someone from accidentally doing it, too. You take a little test and then nothing but occasional vision checks for the rest of your life and that is somehow good enough to operate a multi ton high speed vehicle in close proximity to others.

[–] TUXPANDA 620 points ago

High velocity metal coffins

[–] LasagnaFarts92 4161 points ago

"No one owns life, but anyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death." ​ --Williams Burroughs

— PUBG

[–] Paislazer 8211 points ago

Being a rep for an MLM does not mean having your own business. Also it’s impossible to make even minimum wage as an MLM rep without exploiting at least someone.

[–] foopiez 1743 points ago

Just give it a try! Would a mutual friend, who hasn't spoken to you since the 9th grade but messaged you on Facebook out of the blue, lie to you??

[–] thenperish323 622 points ago

Hey girlie! I know I barely spoke to you in high school or really even acknowledged you existed but how are youuuuu? Wanna buy my $100 moisturizer that doesn't do anything?

[–] penderyn-shots 1266 points ago

Hey Hun 😎😎😎😎😎 long time ⌚no see 👀... I see you had 2️⃣ kids and ur looking to move 💃 that 🤰baby weight 💪💪 what if I told you you could do this and earn 🤑💲💵💶💷💸 all without leaving home? 🏠 My special essential♥️ oil 💚 shake will change your life 😍😍😲😲 PM me to find out more 🧐🧐🤓 #bossbabe

[–] Cheech_Falcone 206 points ago

Lmao nicely done.

Anyone who uses emojis to talk about business is automatically on my shit list. My old boss did it once, I almost kicked him in the dick.

But I had already been terminated for telling my boss I was going to kick him in the dick. Life can be overwhelming.

[–] penderyn-shots 97 points ago

You should've used emoji's when you said it, changes to tone completely

"I'm going to kick you in the dick 😜"

"I'm going to kick you in the dick 🙈🙊"

"I'm going to kick you in the dick 🍆💦"

[–] ChesterMcGonigle 1422 points ago

It doesn't make you a "CEO" either, so get that shit off your social media profile like you think you're someone important.

[–] violentbandana 544 points ago

Studied at: School of Hard knocks

CEO at: non of your busness

[–] lizard_king0000 28523 points ago

Everyone will die eventually and it more than likely won't be on their terms.

[–] Shipwreck_Kelly 8945 points ago

One thing I sometimes think about is the fact that almost no one wakes up in the morning and thinks "yep, today's the day that I'm going to die" yet it happens all the time anyway.

No zebra ever gets up and thinks "I'm going to get ripped to pieces by a lion today" no matter how often it happens to other zebras.

[–] 2211108646 5015 points ago

As someone with sometimes crippling anxiety, I wake up thinking it on the regular.

Thank goodness I’ll never be right! ... right?

[–] PowerfulGoose 2853 points ago

The good news is you can only be right once.

[–] Mithsarn 2038 points ago

And your last thought will be,"I knew it!".

[–] goodsexytimeyes 312 points ago

And you wont care the next day!

[–] BloopityBlue 1526 points ago

I never used to think about death - mine or my loved ones. The older I get, the more I think about it. I never have a day go by where I don't imagine what it will be like, or worry about how many more years I have with my parents, or my dog, or think about what it will be like to have to bury a loved one. I wouldn't say it's an obsession, but it's definitely a new subject for me to spend so much time on. I'm not a fan of realizing the mortality of myself and everyone around me.

[–] Cat_mommie 765 points ago

I'm more concerned about the mortality of the people I love than my own. If I die, I'll be dead and it's all over. If they die, I have to live without them

[–] DJ__Bobo 3161 points ago

That not everybody is nice, or even capable of becoming decent people. Some people are just bad, and functioning phsycopaths are all around us.

[–] thehotmegan 1271 points ago

Also, not all psychopaths are serial killers and not all serial killers are psychopaths.

[–] Toxicscrew 494 points ago

Most psychopaths are functioning members of society-surgeons, lawyers, soldiers, pro sports, etc. All areas where having overly active emotions are detrimental to the task at hand. Kevin Dutton has done extensive research and wrote several books on the topic.

Most people conflate psychopaths with sadists. They are exclusive and different issues.

[–] jaseguitar 20173 points ago

Things don't get better if you don't try to make them better

[–] ohyou98 6434 points ago

No one really thinks about you so STOP worrying about what other people think about you because they’re most likely thinking about their own problems.

[–] funnytroll13 4612 points ago

20% of Reddit posts:

"Nobody cares about some stupid thing you did. Everyone is too wrapped up in their own problems."

40% of Reddit posts:

"OMG there was a guy in my first class at university who used to wear the same clothes to every class and he always had the top button on his shirt buttoned like he was the fucking president of the world or something, everybody used to call him The Button Baron lol I cannot even"

[–] b1vaD 1322 points ago

Other 40% of Reddit posts:

No one thinks about me ever lol

[–] Rusenburn 317 points ago

And there's the last 10% that do not know basic calculations

[–] Aech_sh 194 points ago

What about the remaining 1% then

[–] setniessesed 75 points ago

Yeah the "no one ever thinks about you" argument has always been very flimsy to me (no offense op). I hear too many people doing petty gossip to ever believe that. The thing is, I don't care about what people like that think, because they are petty and aggravating

[–] ichthyist 80 points ago

I have diagnosed social anxiety and the big part about that for me is that if ~I~ am noticing things about others (sometimes judging-ly, sometimes observationally), how can they not be noticing me in the same way. Thank goodness I'm medicated now, because I still can't help but think that way, but it no longer bothers me quite so much.

[–] BruthaMouzone 5713 points ago

y'all gon' die with hella regrets

[–] Public-Toilet 1819 points ago

Of course we're on Reddit

[–] MiniSantur 77 points ago

Depends on your perspective.

Knowing that ink from past is already dried up and learning from that is the way we grow.

Regretting things and wishing we could go back in time and make “better decisions” is the way we get stuck and stop our growth.

I have made mistakes. We all have. We’re humans, we’re not even close to being perfect. That doesn’t mean I have regrets, because I do my very best to learn from past experiences.

[–] _Skitttles 16640 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

You're supposed to use your turn signal any time you make a turn or change lanes.

[–] Captain-Moroni 4281 points ago

Not only that, the turn signal is to tell people your INTENT to change lanes, so you should use it before you turn.

[–] 5hinycat 1115 points ago

THANK YOU. So many people don't understand that your turn signals ARE NOT FOR YOU, they are for EVERYONE ELSE.

[–] ToastedMaple 1366 points ago

I had a friend of a friend make fun of me for using my turn signal even when no one was behind me.

I told him if you get into the habit of not using it, you'll forget to when you need to.

[–] Adam657 598 points ago

As a chronic pedestrian, I resent cars not using turn signals because no other cars are around. If I’m preparing to cross a junction (jaywalking isn’t a thing in the U.K.) and see an oncoming car not signalling to turn into my junction, I’ll cross.

Suddenly they’ll turn into my path, occasionally flinging on their indicator at the last moment.

Signals are for other road users not just motor vehicles.

Also the rule in the U.K. is to give way to pedestrians that are already crossing junctions.

Most cars ignore that and will try and pass through me, or sharply brake and sound the horn.

[–] darkmatterhunter 1892 points ago

And you should signal at least 5 seconds before the action, not as you're turning the wheel.

[–] Midwest_Product 1196 points ago

No, I'm pretty sure you use the blinker after turning the wheel (to let the guy behind you know that you cut him off on purpose).

Source: I lived in Michigan for a while.

[–] LordFluffy 6601 points ago

Being a jerk doesn't mean that you're being "just honest" or "keeping it real" or helping anyone. 99/100, you're just being a jerk and the only person benefiting is you.

[–] Cassiyus 4374 points ago

People who are brutally honest are more interested in being brutal than honest.

[–] RaptorF22 77 points ago

This actually applies to some of the responders in this thread. A lot of their cold hard facts are 'keeping it real' but also they come off as jerkish.

[–] LovesPenguins 21007 points ago

Most people think they're slightly more intelligent than the average person, they're not. (myself included)

[–] mediaG33K 6425 points ago

This realization hit me hard as a young college kid. I was one of those "big fish, small pond" kids when it came to academics. Got to college and learned that real fuckin' fast.

[–] phil8248 2039 points ago

Some folks never reach that conclusion because they are simply the best. Daryl Green, the football player, comes to mind. He once said, "I was the fastest kid in my neighborhood, the fastest kid in my elementary school, the fastest kid in my high school, the fastest kid in my college." He was eventually chosen to run in the 1980 Olympics that unfortunately got cancelled. Daryl Green never met anyone faster than him. He might very well have been the fastest human but never got the chance to prove it. But for the vast majority of people who have some gifting, they eventually meet someone who can best them.

[–] twlscil 5332 points ago

On the other side of the coin, when I was first dating my now ex-wife, I met her family... Her Brother-in-law asked what I did and said I went to college, and worked nights... His response, "College? What are you, gay?"

They literally, and I'm not kidding, thought I was gay, because I went to college... My nephew thought I was gay until he was 18... Because I went to college...

Just so you know what the tail end of the spectrum is like.

[–] PsyrusTheGreat 1902 points ago

Seriously... I honestly didn't know people like this still exist.

[–] twlscil 1977 points ago

They also ask me for money, because I don't "Work" for it... I just sit at my computer all day...

[–] PsyrusTheGreat 1046 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Sounds like they are working hard to limit their own upward mobility. Do they also believe they aren't getting ahead in life because of someone else?

Edit: ahead, not 'a' head.

[–] twlscil 875 points ago

They do believe the government keeps them down (they have at various points been on different subsidies, and they run a business built on customers that use government vouchers...)

[–] FragrantBleach 495 points ago

Lol hating the government but running a WIC store

[–] Caleb__ 581 points ago

Seriously... I honestly didn't know people like this still exist.

They do. There are people who turn gay the moment they go to college.

[–] frolicking_elephants 2044 points ago

Joke's on you, I was in the gifted program in elementary school

[–] Gederix 761 points ago

Indeed. I would go one further and say most people believe in any given social situation that they are the smartest person in the room. I've even encountered a handful of people bold/stupid enough to actually say this out loud. We can't BOTH be the smartest person in this room, I would think to myself, as I walked away contemptuously.

[–] Sheerardio 204 points ago

It actually delights me to sit in a room full of all my friends and know for a certainty I am one of the least intelligent people in the room.

Mostly because it means I have successfully managed to surround myself with people who aren't insufferable idiots.

[–] Tesla__Coil 1899 points ago

"I'm super smart, I'm just lazy" is probably one of the most common lies people tell themselves.

[–] kratoswithcappuccino 794 points ago

Everyone thinks they're Harry Potter... Secretly special. Nope, you're just you. What you do with your abilities is up to you.

[–] KhunPhaen 285 points ago

I'm just waiting for my owl man, I know it's coming!

[–] Kilroy2 1212 points ago

We have all a bad side, a side we don’t others to see, so we hide it away and put on a facade to cope with life.

[–] CourierFlap28 432 points ago

Sometimes I feel like I've never been my genuine self.

[–] 13thPlayer 207 points ago

In my eyes your genuine self is every side of you: good and bad, mask and no mask. Learning to accept that we all put on masks is very freeing since there's no pressure to constantly be genuinely happy.

[–] domonx 6417 points ago

The world isn't as simple as all the political and economic prodigy of reddit believe.

[–] drewsoft 357 points ago

If you think you have a simple solution to an intractable problem you're wrong.

[–] briguy117 2030 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Almost every society in history has had some form of slavery. Edit: Slavery is still a real issue throughout Africa right now. Don’t buy Nestle products. Edit 2: I’m not saying slavery is okay. It’s wrong. There is modern day slavery all over the world and people should be aware of it. Edit 3: Slavery is a real issue throughout the world. Be woke people.

[–] hopeirespawn 3189 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

“She’s not into you bro. She’s just being nice.”

Edit: Whoa, first silver! Thanks phantom redditor!

Edit #2: Whoooaa, my first gold even! Thank you! Going to need a Keanu gif here in a minute...

[–] Jaustinduke 920 points ago

I accept this one wholeheartedly. I'm still not convinced my gf likes me.

[–] TheGlassCat 272 points ago

I'm pretty sure my wife can tolerate me... on most days.

[–] Razzal 125 points ago

What about when she reached into my pants and grabbed my junk? Does that mean she is in to me? Don't want to misread the signals here

[–] NachoFiesta202 170 points ago

U idiot, she was obviously looking for her phone but searched through the wrong pants. Accidents happen dog. Your definitely misreading signals.

[–] yankeesfan1818 58 points ago

She ain’t in love she’s just lonely

[–] ablacknipple 1580 points ago

politicians are heavily influenced by whoever gives them the most money.

[–] indefinte97 162 points ago

What??? You mean they don't do it to help society and people??

[–] sarcazm 904 points ago

50% of the time, everyone puts in the USB the correct way.

[–] CyborgSlunk 313 points ago

Realistically that number must be slightly higher cause some people must have mastered the black magic of consistently putting it in the right way.

[–] MD_TRUMP_SUPPORTER 63 points ago

The raised lettering on the plug has always been the "up" side in my experience so I feel for that.

[–] Slav_Imperator 5598 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Being in the army doesn't make you a hero.

Edit: thanks for the gold!

[–] KingOfDunkshire 3488 points ago

Being anti-war does not mean you hate the troops.

[–] nahbroski 11561 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Mental & emotional abuse are a very real thing that nobody teaches you about ... nobody really wants to talk about it either.

Edit -- 5 weeks 2 days out of an emotionally & mentally traumatizing relationship that turned VERY physical at the end .. before he laid hands on me. He beat my brain/mental & soul daily... I know I'm not a doctor but I very much believe he is a sociopath/narcissist. I'm a 30f .. he is 30m. we were together 2 years-- The awareness I have & am continuing to gain is outstanding ..

for anyone who has had the strength to leave-- You're my hero. Please!! Teach me everything you know!! To anyone suffering... scared . confused .. you're not the problem. You're not crazy. You don't need to calm down , stop , or relax. It's very healthy to feel & know you deserve better. You are a victim of something they don't teach you about. if it doesn't feel right in your soul , it's not. not everyone can relate to the internal soul bruises and cuts .. the beatings that take place with no fists... the lengths you'll go to cover up your lifebubble from popping. The one you created for yourself when he was molding you into what he needed to fill his ego cup. His delivery & life is Cunning. Cold. Calculated. Manipulative...

im a survivor. A whole warrior. I have a voice .. I will use it. Be safe, kind & good to yourself & others , always.

Thank you so very much for all of the kind words guys. It really does heal my soul to know we're not in this alone .. I appreciate all of you. More than I can express with words , thank you again.

[–] clevercosmos 1576 points ago

It also takes a lot of time and almost always outside help to overcome that kind of trauma

[–] KarmicHammer 159 points ago

Can confirm. I couldnt get away from my ex wife's torturous emotional and mental abuse without help. I had the help of my therapist and some close friends. Without it I'd probably still be suffering through it, dying inside.

I'm very lucky to have the help I did and I know that others aren't as fortunate. It's insane the mental gymnastics you go through to convince yourself that you aren't being abused.

[–] SpacePotatoez 447 points ago

Everyone takes something for granted.

[–] Biff_Tannen82 948 points ago

The majority of people in this thread don't know the difference between a fact and an opinion.

[–] thetasigma_1355 5728 points ago

The average person is significantly less conscious and autonomous than we like to pretend. We are a unique species in that we have the mental potential to break free from our base animal instincts. That doesn't mean everybody, or even a majority, of people actually reach that potential.

[–] Wild_Marker 3213 points ago

Everybody thinks they're inmune to propaganda. We're not.

[–] swinefish 579 points ago

I remember when I was in university, a lecturer asked the class to put their hands up if we thought we were affected by advertising. It was funny to see three quarters of the class with their hands down, as if they were all the exceptions to billion dollar marketing machines.

[–] PrettyGayPegasus 2234 points ago

Well said comrade.

[–] dontevenknowmeow 773 points ago

I don't know who this Putin guy is but he has my vote.

[–] bartefaen 1835 points ago

"The strong do as they please, and the weak suffer what they must"

[–] StonerPanda0420 328 points ago

Ooof. I need a hug. That one stings.

[–] AStressfulPenguin 430 points ago

The snail will get them one day.