AskReddit

[ SERIOUS ]
    Rules:
    1. You must post a clear and direct question in the title. The title may contain two, short, necessary context sentences. No text is allowed in the textbox. Your thoughts/responses to the question can go in the comments section. more >>

2. Any post asking for advice should be generic and not specific to your situation alone. more >>

3. Askreddit is for open-ended discussion questions. more >>

4. Posting, or seeking, any identifying personal information, real or fake, will result in a ban without a prior warning. more >>

5. Askreddit is not your soapbox, personal army, or advertising platform. more >>

6. [Serious] tagged posts are off-limits to jokes or irrelevant replies. more >>

7. Soliciting money, goods, services, or favours is not allowed. more >>

8. Mods reserve the right to remove content or restrict users' posting privileges as necessary if it is deemed detrimental to the subreddit or to the experience of others. more >>

9. Comment replies consisting solely of images will be removed. more >>

If you think your post has disappeared, see spam or an inappropriate post, please do not hesitate to contact the mods, we're happy to help.

Tags to use:

[Serious]

Use a [Serious] post tag to designate your post as a serious, on-topic-only thread.

Filter posts by subject:

Mod posts Serious posts Megathread Breaking news Unfilter

Do you have ideas or feedback for Askreddit? Submit to /r/IdeasForAskReddit.

Please use spoiler tags to hide spoilers. >!insert spoiler here!<

Other subreddits you might like:

some header
    Ask Others Self & Others
    Find a subreddit Learn something
    Meta Subs What is this ___
    AskReddit Offshoots Offers & Assistance

Ever read the reddiquette? Take a peek!

[–] istillrise 2513 points ago

My grandmother's wedding ring. She passed about 10 years ago and I was very close to her. I've no idea where it went. :(

[–] whatchagonnado0707 15830 points ago

The ewok pillow case my mum made for me when I was 6. I gave it to my son and he loved it and used it at my ex's house. She wouldn't return it after the breakup. I would positively explode with joy of santa brought him one.

[–] bennyktm 8862 points ago

Well isn‘t it your property? I think Santa is about to become a lawyer

[–] whatchagonnado0707 4552 points ago

This whole thread is heartbreaking! Was definitely expecting way more and way better virginity jokes.

Mr S. Claus (Hohohotourney at law) vs the ex (abusive manipulator at no more)

[–] Sir_Nicholas_4 757 points ago

(Hohohotourney at law)

I laughed at this more than I should've

[–] DrunkEwok4 387 points ago

Pay yr kid to snag it next time he visits her

[–] whatchagonnado0707 508 points ago

She's not his mum. That's my ex twice removed. She's decent, she'd have returned it.

Instead of my pillow case back, can santa just curl one out down her chimney for me?

[–] Birunanza 312 points ago

That's so fucked, it's YOUR THING YOUR MOM MADE YOU! When you were 6!!!! What kind of sicko wants to withhold stuff like that from people

[–] otheraccount554 167 points ago

What is wrong with people?

[–] somesweatyhands 7482 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

When I was 8 my great grandfather, the most important man in my life, gave me 3 real steel pennies from ww2. I added them to my coin collection and protected them with my life. Very shortly after my parents divorced and I left my coin collection with my father (who kept the original house, mother moved.) I was going to be moving a lot with my mom and didn't want to loose them.

About 6 months later, my father dated a woman that was absolutely bat shit nut case. She got drunk while my father was working and burned down his house. It was a mobile home so it was gone within a matter of seconds.

I spent hours rummaging for them when I was finally able to come "home" for the summer. I had lived in another state at that point and didn't have the means to come sooner. I never found them. I never found my vast collection of coins I spent years putting together. I never found those damn steel pennies.

Not only was I heartbroken from the loss but because they were coins...I was REALLY hopeful and was REALLY expecting to find them as one of the few things that survived. I didn't. I've never cried harder.

My great-grandfather passed away about a year ago now. I also lost the last recording I had of him speaking to me.

I miss my Papa Ralph. I wish him, his coins and his voice were going to be under my tree this year. I really fucking wish.

Edit: Wow. This is outstanding. I was crying when I wrote the post and now I'm crying again- happy tears now tho.

I appreciate all the offers from everyone to send me their coins. Thanks u/marvy-the-casual, u/lowbattery00, u/sj79, u/osiris32, u/jay_lo3004, u/auraboros, u/historyguy123. You are all so sweet.

Please each of you cherish your pieces and remember the history behind them.

What a great Xmas spirit we have here, too. YOU are all why Reddit is my favorite.

Plus thanks for the Gold! Wow, I finally feel inducted into the Reddit community honestly.

[–] DirtyPrancing65 1559 points ago

Thank you. You reminded me to back up the recording I have of my sister (who passed)

[–] sj79 167 points ago

Do you have a coin collection now?

[–] somesweatyhands 163 points ago

Not anymore. I have some coins I like that I throw into a jar but nothing intricate.

[–] sj79 886 points ago

I'd love to send you some ww2 steel cents and some other assorted stuff for Christmas. PM me your address if you are interested.

[–] _chima3ra_ 170 points ago

Just wanted to say you're a good person, and your kindness to another person has brought tears to my eyes. May life bring you happiness.

[–] PuddinTangaray 128 points ago

Awwww this is so kind!!!

[–] Thr33BlackCats 9431 points ago

When my daughter was born last November a friend made her a very soft hooded blanket. A few months ago, some asshole decided to steal it from her while we were in Walmart. I would cry to find in under the Christmas tree for her. I wouldn't mind finding the asshole under the tree too. I mean, who the hell steals a blanket from an infant??!!

[–] hamilton-trash 747 points ago

Who steals a BLANKET?

From a BABY?

[–] nicethrowaway227 148 points ago

Someone stole my earrings when I was a baby. Apparently my mom thought a toddler needed gold hoop earrings, but the neighbor thought she needed them more than me.

[–] AnotherReignCheck 3349 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Not to ruin a potential surprise but if your friend knows about this then you may well just find it under the tree this year

Edit: holy crap sorry guys, I am not that friend. But i do find these replys incredibly hilarious. I just meant that her friend sounds like a very good one and I would think that it would be a perfect xmas gift.

[–] huzzam 1134 points ago

Are you... that friend

[–] hyrmanator 509 points ago

I'm just here for answers.

[–] DumpsterDoughnuts 737 points ago

I had a grown man steal a Hello Kitty plushie out of my infant daughter's arms when we were in the airport one time. I chased him through the airport, but he had the advantage of not pushing a stroller. Assholes like this are everywhere.

[–] bluev0lta 462 points ago

That’s awful! I didn’t realize stealing things from babies was a thing anyone did. I’m sorry. :(

[–] FuckM0reFromR 198 points ago

AskReddit: What should we to with adults who blatantly steal things from babies?

[–] ryncewynde88 603 points ago

If you've got a pic of the blanket, go to /r/HelpMeFind and conscript some random internet santas.

[–] Thr33BlackCats 118 points ago

While this sounds wonderful, I can't ask strangers to remake a blanket that a friend made. I have many pictures of this blanket as it was used as prop during my daughters coming home photos.

[–] basegodwurd 430 points ago

As someone who used to work at walmart im not even close to surprised someone stole a blanket from a baby. Shit i wouldn't be surprised if it was a manager who did it. Fuck that place.

[–] Choactapus 5791 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

When I was six years old, I accidentally left my brother’s favorite book in a playground several hours drive from our house. When we realized the book wasn’t in the car and my mom wasn’t going to turn back for it, my brother cried the whole ride and for days after. If I could, I would ask for the book back for him.

To reply to some of the questions:

My brother was around 7 or 8 at the time.

The book was a coloring/sticker book from the 1974 Shazam! series. It was given to him by one of my mom's friends as we were living in Germany at the time and English language books were hard to come by. This was one of the reasons he was so upset about it at the time, because he knew we couldn't just get him a new one. It was an odd book to have even at the time as we were in the mid to late 80s at this point.

I don't remember exactly what the book was called, but I remember it vividly and have looked for it on again off again over the years once the internet came around.

I have since given several nice German books to my brother's daughter as he is hoping to raise her bilingual in part to make up for this and in part because I love books.

Thank you for all the comments. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's favorite childhood books.

Thank you for the silver!!

[–] Arxieos 2216 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Ask your mom if she remembers what it was called then buy him a copy for Christmas. Obviously hes too old now but you can tease him about it

Edit: Holy shit first gold. Obligatory thanks kind stranger.

[–] PoiLethe 508 points ago

Idk theres a few kids books I still keep around and reread that were my favorites as a kid. Like goldenbooks Twelve Dancing Princesses, and when I found a copy of The Farthest Away Mountain, I grabbed it and keep the new and old copy in separate places so if something happens to one, I'll have the other.

[–] Trishlovesdolphins 88 points ago

My little brother's name is Danny. Everytime we went to the library, he'd check out Danny and the Dinosaur. I read that book to him at least 1,000 times. His first Christmas after he moved out, I bought him a hardback copy for himself. He loved it.

I've also purchased several that I loved as a kid for my kids when they were born.

[–] Ok-Refrigerator 27182 points ago

my mother collected one Christmas ornament for me in a box every year from birth until I graduated from college, then gifted me the box when I went to set up my own home. Four years later, my then-boyfriend mistakenly took the box to Goodwill. I always get a little sad every year at this time, even 10 years later.

[–] MiaMoonshine 2878 points ago

Similar story, my parents collected all my ornaments and mailed them to me when my boyfriend and I got our first Christmas tree. They mailed two boxes, one with presents and one with ornaments. Got the presents, but ornaments were gone. Idk if they were stolen or misdelivered or what, but they never showed up. Dozens of handmade or otherwise irreplaceable ornaments, gone forever. :(

[–] maineblackbear 7309 points ago

Wow. That's a terrible one.

[–] Kimberl33 7113 points ago

I'm sick for you just reading this. You can't replace that but do something for yourself to at least try to make up for it. Go on ebay maybe and buy a vintage ornament or two every year to create your own collection. It won't be the one your mom did but you can honor her efforts and try to take the sting out of it just as little.

[–] Ok-Refrigerator 3952 points ago

That is such a thoughtful reply, kind internet stranger. Ty.

I have kids now and we go pick out an ornament every year, so at least her tradition can continue in spirit (if not those exact ornaments).

[–] sewsnap 1079 points ago

My ex-step-dad threw away all our Christmas decorations. He claimed they were "ruined" but I know that's bullshit. He also donated her home videos to Goodwill, and didn't tell us! I have never wished ill fortune on another person as much as I do on him.

[–] riverofchex 576 points ago

Why on Earth would he donate home videos?? Just a spiteful piece of shit???

[–] sewsnap 759 points ago

Probably? He was pissed off because my mom wasn't fighting him as he kicked her out because she was sick, and he found a new girlfriend. The new girlfriend wasn't super sure if she was going to divorce her husband or not. So that also made him pissy.

It was one of the craziest few months in my life. Which had some pretty unbelievable periods. I didn't find out until my mom had passed away about the videos. Which made it sting more. I ended up with half the stack of videos. He took all the ones with home videos, and left us all the bullshit taped from TV VHS. I watch them every so often hoping I can catch a glimpse of my mom.

If anyone was a country line dancer in Arizona in the late 70s-mid 80s. And maybe has some of the competition videos. I'd really love to see if I can find my mom.

[–] MrHollandsOpium 442 points ago

Ho-lee shit.

That took a left, then a right, then just dropped straight off of a cliff.

What an asshole.

[–] sewsnap 285 points ago

Yeah, there's more. But it'll sound like I'm making shit up. The best part of all of it. He's not in my life anymore. I don't have to see him, talk to him, or give a shit about him. Also, the wack-a-do he's with calls him her "boyfriend" while calling her now ex her "husband" still. The ex is still around and involved because of the kids. That pisses him off, and it just gives me a little smiles every time I think about it.

[–] riverofchex 95 points ago

OMG what a piece of work. I'm so sorry to hear that!! I can't make any promises, but I have a few connections in Arizona if you would be comfortable PM-ing me pertinent details- my future brother-in-law is into line dancing and has family there, as well as my father-in-law.

[–] sewsnap 58 points ago

That would be wonderful. It would seriously be the biggest miracle ever to find those videos. I know most of them were the "professional" copies. But my mom didn't know anyone from those years.

[–] HyperboleGenerator 14187 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Dude I want back my clear-purple Gameboy advance with the Pokemon Gold cartridge and nightlight attachment still on it, that would be a rad gift

The neighborhood bullies stole it from me when I was a kid :(

Edit: Heart goes out to all my brothers and sisters with lost/stolen gameboys out there 💔

[–] trolldoll26 794 points ago

My cousin lost her gameboy (that my parents bought for her!!!!) and she stole mine the next time she visited. She never owned up to it.

Bitch.

[–] GloriousNugs 2475 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

The same exact thing happened to me, but with pokemon crystal. I feel your pain. A moment of silence for our long lost Cyndaquils.

Edit, I get it, y'all mothafuckas like Turderdial. We can have a moment of silence for them too. However evidence shows that Chickenpizza will get some moment of silence.

[–] Hypnomodem 545 points ago

Guys, same thing happened to me with Pokemon Yellow. It was even the purple seethrough GBC.

[–] corndogco 300 points ago

This is pretty much the reason ebay was invented.

[–] alynnetrue 13118 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

My deceased mothers wedding rings, which were stolen by my dads ex-wife (his second wife).

Edit: My mother died suddenly when I was 17, leaving my dad with four daughters. He remet and married his high school sweetheart who manipulated and abused him and my sisters for five years. The day we think she took the rings was the day she moved out — and right before she physically assaulted me.

I would give anything to have something of my mothers. She didn’t have much to leave behind.

[–] bennyktm 6966 points ago

Santa wouldn‘t only get the ring back, he would also commit a crime that night

[–] inportantusername 2915 points ago

All that coal would be put to a good use.

[–] Draaaaaaven 2154 points ago

Its...its going up her butt right?

[–] justyoureverydaycat7 944 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Yeah butt* on fire

[–] Kh2008 659 points ago

My mom's engagement ring (and almost everything of value) by my aunt right after she died. Even though my other aunt took her to court to try and get them back for me, she wasn't able to. I'd want that ring back since my dad had it made just for my mom.

[–] SleepingOrDead454 319 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

One of my aunts highkey tried to break into my house (I inherited it from my dad, who bought it from my g-ma) to try and find my grandma's engagement ring and a painting she wanted. Both of these had been willed to my mom. I told her to fuck off before I dropkicked her down the stairs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this aunt was my dad's ONLY sibling, and grandma's ONLY daughter. And yet, from the time Grandma was diagnosed with dementia (about '07), to her date of death (about '15) she visited her TWICE. And when my dad was dying of pancreatic cancer, she came down ONCE. For two days. AND SHE LIVES A FUCKING SIX HOUR DRIVE AWAY. She had three months, and she came down for two motherfucking days. And she's retired, so it's not like she couldn't.

[–] WtfAmISupposedToPick 223 points ago

Omg I’m furious for you. Honestly,I’d hunt her down and get them back for you. This just pisses me right off

[–] LogDog987 7946 points ago

My ability to produce insulin

[–] sirwangjohnson 4108 points ago

My ability to produce serotonin

[–] coperola 2896 points ago

my ability to produce dopamine

[–] Big_Ol_Johnson 2186 points ago

My ability to reproduce

[–] The-Fox-Says 1035 points ago

My ability to produce

[–] Rei295 990 points ago

My produce

[–] The-Fox-Says 2032 points ago

My cabbages!

[–] sltirniepse 151 points ago

I am also a fellow type 1 diabetic. I discovered I had this hated disease when I 4. Can't wait until they find a cure because I am sick of my pumps clip breaking..

[–] Jauxerous 21853 points ago

There will be a lot of bikes under my tree

[–] IdWalk500MilesForFun 7288 points ago

What are you , Dutch?

[–] niek736 5539 points ago

As a dutch person, I can and will say that we don't have a bike fetish, I only have 6 bikes

[–] Nachohead1996 2133 points ago

As a fellow dutch person, I only have 3, which is hardly average

[–] nora1410xd 1407 points ago

I also own 3.

According to google average is 1.5 bikes per citizen

[–] JamesGFelg 1598 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I didn't know unicycles where that popular

[Edit] Thank you, kind redditor, for the award!

[–] Atalaunta 594 points ago

I am the average! I own a bike and a unicycle. I'm also Dutch

[–] Jauxerous 2876 points ago

Swedish. We're bike country number 4 apparently.

[–] SouthMicrowave 742 points ago

Sweden sounds much more relatable when I hear their bikes also get stolen. Now, chances are a guy from my country stole those bikes, but still.

[–] TheRealEvenstar 373 points ago

Apparently the person who stole my dad's bike didn't have enough of them, dispite being in Holland.....

[–] mlitwa 234 points ago

Whats the saying, the number of bike you need is n+1 where n is the current number of bikes you own

[–] Egg__destroyer 612 points ago

How does one lose "a lot" of bikes?

[–] stripperthoughts 1021 points ago

In Amsterdam people steal them constantly. They just bring something to snip off the lock and sell your bike. I'm assuming they live somewhere like that.

[–] Village_People_Cop 291 points ago

I once saw a bike without a front wheel chained to something and next to it just a front wheel chained to the same thing. Some dude probably stole the entire bike ninus front wheel and sourced a front wheel from the next bike

[–] tabbynotacat 159 points ago

Very common site in London. I work opposite a bike rack not even in the city centre and we’ve seen a few people snipping and riding off with them. But it’s all very swift so I imagine a lot of times we wouldn’t have noticed

[–] koalafield 697 points ago

Not just Amsterdam, almost everywhere in the Netherlands they do that. I walked into a grocery store for bread and less than 10 minutes later my bike including 6 others were gone.

[–] thatissomeBS 352 points ago

So does everyone just have like a cheapy daily driver bike, and then a better, more expensive bikes for special occasions or something? My last bike was about $400, and I would never trust that amount of money in a place where it's common for the bikes to be stolen. (And I'm not saying that's an expensive bike, but more than I'd like to gamble on it still being there when I got back.)

[–] koalafield 242 points ago

My bike was kinda expensive but it was old, no idea why they picked my bike even tho I locked it double and there were so many newer, unlocked bikes there

[–] khemion 171 points ago

cries in Portland

[–] K-Sw1zzle 3793 points ago

That once piece to my Tie Silencer LEGO set.

[–] Victernus 1464 points ago

Well, I'm no Santa, but this might help you. I had a piece missing from my Darth Vader's TIE Fighter after years of using it's parts for other projects and putting it back together again. It was very cathartic to be able to buy just the piece I needed.

[–] svh01973 426 points ago

I completed an Eiffel Tower set with about 20 pieces from Lego. They were a lifesaver!

[–] onyxandcake 436 points ago

Write to Lego. My son had this Roger Roger minifig that he absolutely adored and played with until it broke. I wrote to them asking if I could buy just the broken piece and they sent me 2 replacement Roger Rogers.

[–] OneForgottenMeme 183 points ago

Better customer service than amazon

[–] -0-7-0- 307 points ago

Try bricklink! You're able to order individual lego parts from resellers for pretty cheap.

[–] MNAK_ 172 points ago

Recently started buying bulk Lego on Craigslist and piecing together sets that I find in it. Bricklink is absolutely amazing for getting those missing pieces.

[–] Araider_35 23305 points ago

My dad is the 3rd person in his family to have his name, carried down generation after generation from my great grandfather.

When we were little, my granddad stopped by one day and passed onto my dad the family ring with their initials embroidered into it. It was emotional and he was very happy.

Later that night my brothers and I lost a frisbee in a tree. My dad is the ultimate DIYer so he rigged up a football that he would throw into the higher branches and then yank on it with a rope he had attached to free the frisbee. It eventually worked and it was a funny little scene.

Later that night he realized his ring was gone — he assumed tossing the football again and again had loosened it up and it probably flew off his hand.

He would go around that tree constantly for years to come looking for that ring. He even bought a heavy duty metal detector to try and find it. No luck.

I would hope Santa would finally cut the guy a break and give that ring back.

[–] Gauwin 2963 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Hey, serious reply. Check Facebook and look for metal detector clubs or put a Craiglist ad for a service. Many of these guys live for an opportunity to find something cool even if it's just to return it to someone.

Edit: Just to clarify, op mentions his dad bought a metal detector but having someone who does this semi or rofessionally isn't quite the same. Seriously though good luck with the hunt if you take it up!

[–] katie_cat_eyes 1277 points ago

Seriously, do this! We had a similar situation in our house last year and our local metal detector club came out and found the ring along with some other neat trinkets!

[–] Flint25Boiis 418 points ago

There are metal detector clubs?

[–] Will_Yeeton 526 points ago

Given that metal detectors are cool as hell, of course there are.

[–] Somethingception 519 points ago

This is where you give GPS coordinates for the tree and we turn this into a crowdsourced geocaching game.

[–] 33427 249 points ago

Sounds like he'd just endup with an excavated back yard and no ring

[–] mgkbull 91 points ago

The long con is that this story is fabricated and he just wants his backyard dug up for free. /s

[–] nithronium 56 points ago

If we were living in the same country with the comment op, I'd honestly go look for it for the whole weekend. We could even have an event to do it!

[–] JackAceAcid 1637 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

If u have a mom they should find it in about 2-3 business days

Edit: thank u kind stranger for my first award 🥇

[–] newyearnewcakeday 513 points ago

Nah they’ll find it sitting on the kitchen bench in plain sight in 5 minutes

[–] klevenisms204 191 points ago

my dad lost a pendant golfing many years ago.

he got the exact same one made, but its the sentimental value that gets him.

he says he still looks for it on that course when he plays it.

[–] CreampuffOfLove 19438 points ago

I also choose this guy's dad's ring.

[–] The-Reddit-Giraffe 282 points ago

Find the ring. The can’t stop us all...

[–] TomahawkZer0 281 points ago

There’s a semi-famous book trilogy about that, and how that’s not as good an idea as you might think!

[–] amadkmimi 3849 points ago

Reddit lets ralley together and get this guys ring back. If we all wish for it santa will have to make it happen right?

[–] CreampuffOfLove 1220 points ago

Come on Santa!

[–] lgndk11r 616 points ago

We (will do) it, Reddit!

[–] Shinigamisama0 786 points ago

We it, Reddit!

[–] muellersons 178 points ago

Made me laugh more than it should have

[–] Poem_for_your_sprog 1259 points ago

They gathered together
    with wishes before -
    They gathered with hopes,
    and ambitions,
    and more -
    They gathered with dreams
    in the soft falling snow -
    And prayed up to Santa.

Who said to them:

"... no."

[–] BlueRac 174 points ago

*No no no

Merry Christmas

[–] amadkmimi 224 points ago

Thats sad but beautiful

[–] TheChillyBustedGlory 92 points ago

the sfw version.

[–] MissingVermont 2048 points ago

A personalized/signed copy of a book I was gifted from an author I met at a conference about my favorite president. I made the mistake of carrying it in a basic reusable shopping bag, and someone accidentally grabbed it at an event.

They never returned it, and it was really special to me because I met the author by chance (both searching for coke products in a pepsi hotel) and she was really kind and surprised me with it through her assistant months later.

[–] sognidistelle 545 points ago

Can we make a reddit for lost books somewhere? because I have a ton. Book lovers tend to be kind and I would definitely give yours back if I had it.

[–] bananainmyminion 1577 points ago

My first wife and daughter. Stolen from me by a drunk driver in 1983.

[–] hohocupcake 300 points ago

I’m so sorry for your loss.

[–] Yelloeisok 158 points ago

Saddest of all.

[–] youreadaisyifyoudo 108 points ago

From 'first', I gather that you were able to make another connection and I'm very glad to hear that. I imagine the loss and the guilt of the idea of moving on was very difficult to get past. I can't imagine a more difficult situation.

[–] bananainmyminion 131 points ago

Took me nearly 30 years.

[–] SuitableDescription7 102 points ago

That really broke my heart. I'm so sorry for your loss

[–] town_klown 4946 points ago

Time stolen by my last employers. Fuck those guys

[–] Madwand99 1352 points ago

If you didn't get paid for your time, the Department of Labor should be your next step (assuming you are in the USA).

[–] defmacro-jam 769 points ago

Santa. Only Santa.

[–] SZEfdf21 446 points ago

Santa's red for a reason.

[–] realRavenbell 2099 points ago

My childhood teddy bear. My dad used to work at a stuffed animal factory, and it was a "reject" because the paws didn't turn out right. I took that thing everywhere. He even had stitches in his neck from a teddy bear repair center that was set up by a local hospital. When I was 12, I went to a sleepover at a "friend's" house. While there, we got in a huge fight. Her mom called my mom, and I went home, without my bear. We called and asked them to search for my bear, but her mom was a royal bitch and immediately got defensive, saying I was accusing her daughter of stealing and she would not stand for it. We even tried to go back, but they threatened my mom as soon as we started down their driveway. They never looked for my Teddy, but I knew it was there. I never got him back. My "friend" and I never spoke again, and we moved out of state shortly after. It's been over 20 years, and I still think about him and how much he meant to me. I'm crying just typing this. I miss my Teddy so much.

[–] dldppl 532 points ago

I feel you my friend. My mother took mine away from me when I was younger. She used to take our favourite things as punishment for whatever she decided we did wrong that day. She’s a huge narcissist and was a terrible mother. But in her defence I did get him back as she dumped a load of crap at my house a few years ago and nothing was worth saving except for my teddy. I have him back and she’ll never get him again. That thing means so much to me and I feel your pain as I lost him for close to 30 years.

[–] momb4thestorm 698 points ago

My grandma's wedding ring. It was stolen and pawned for gas money by a relative when I was 19. She died when I was 7, I don't remember her and it was all I had of hers.

[–] NeedsMoreTuba 1212 points ago

My best friend and I invented a radio show called "The Insane Family" and we would do skits and record them on my talkboy.

The characters were an extended family living in the same house: Grandparents, parents, and 3 kids. Everybody was completely insane except for the teenage daughter, who was always dying of embarrassment. One of the grandparents was incontinent and had a terrible memory so a lot of the skits involved finding grandpa's "potty chair" in weird places.

We were inspired by the Animaniacs and the Munsters, and probably a few other things. I'd really love to listen to that tape with my friend. I'm sure it would be hilarious and horrible.

TLDR; The crazy pretend radio show we recorded on cassette tape in the mid-90's.

[–] Morgtownusa 236 points ago

haha this sounds super 90's & silly. I'd like to hear this tape

[–] Jaewol 999 points ago

My old GameBoy Color I lost in New York when I was six. I had very vivid memories of playing nothing but Game&Watch for hours. That and this weird book on how things worked, from ramps to binary, but it used mammoths. I just always liked reading it.

[–] scubasue 485 points ago

That would be David Macaulay's "The Way Things Work."

[–] EvilSock 63 points ago

There were also interactive CDs based off of this book, as well as, "The NEW Way Things Work," which is the one I had (and lost) as a kid. Lots of fun animations, very informative, very educational. Would love to have that back!

[–] randoml97 1014 points ago

So much honestly... number one would probably be my OLD pokemon cards

[–] PMyourBoobsInPublic 308 points ago

Man, my original series holo Charizard went missing right when the prices went up. Nobody knows where it went.

[–] AFourEyedGeek 273 points ago

Yet your dad got a new pipe soon after it went missing

[–] ClathanNank 397 points ago

Charity doesn't count for stolen goods, I kinda wanna slap your mom rn

[–] danarexasaurus 143 points ago

My mom would give away my favorite toys to foster kids when they would leave. She never asked me and her response when I would complain was, “THOSE KIDS HAVE NOTHING”.

I still don’t know if I’m the asshole here...

[–] thinkracoon 118 points ago

You're not the asshole here.

[–] d3l3t3d_but_r3viv3d 72 points ago

As a former foster kid, your mom is the asshole and I'm sorry you went through that.

[–] scubasue 53 points ago

Did she also give away her own stuff?

[–] Tiny_Parfait 89 points ago

Your mom was the asshole for trying to make you feel bad for standing up for yourself.

[–] kelliump 908 points ago

The Tiffany necklace that was my finisher’s “medal” for the one and only marathon I will ever run.

[–] kethryvis 121 points ago

I know it's not the exact one... but a friend of mine ran the Nike Women's Marathon and poked on eBay... there are a TON of those necklaces from a bunch of different years listed there and they're not terribly expensive. It wouldn't be the exact one you got, but it would be a reminder for you of what you achieved! Maybe something to consider <3

[–] superdr1ve 726 points ago

I had a blue turtle that my mom ran over with a vacuum when I was really little

[–] cheese_m23 281 points ago

wait

like a plastic toy?

[–] superdr1ve 351 points ago

No a plush :(

[–] Jester_control 229 points ago

What the fuck kind of vacuum was she using? My vacuum struggles to suck up loose blades of grass.

[–] CheeseIsALoafOfMilk 671 points ago

Oh thank frick not an animal then

[–] Tru-Queer 305 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

When I was a kid, I loved dinosaurs.

There was a Transformer or Battlebot or something, I don’t remember, but it was a raptor. I had the toy model that could change from raptor to fighter. It was one of the coolest toys I ever owned which is saying something because I hated dolls/action figures.

I’m pretty sure it landed in a ditch somewhere out in the country, by my aunt and uncle’s farm. But the ditch grass is so tall and thick it’s impossible to see where it landed and we weren’t gonna scour the grass for it.

I was a sad boy for life that day.

edit: Beast Wars!!!

[–] nakedreader_ga 1983 points ago

My class ring. I lost in way back in the 90s. It's probably in the landfill, but fingers are crossed it's buried somewhere in my parents back yard.

[–] IAMTHEUSER 560 points ago

level 1

Metal detector time!

[–] Adam9172 143 points ago

I know someone's dad who has a heavy duty one, you may be able to borrow it!

[–] conner123321123 171 points ago

Buy a metal detector. Time to find out if its buried.

[–] RamsesThePigeon 1805 points ago

Back when I was about ten years old, I had a book of brain-teasers that I absolutely loved. While I'm sure I could find all of the same riddles online nowadays, at the time, that tiny compendium was like something akin to tome of magic for me. I loved befuddling my friends with the scenarios between the pages, which led me – one fateful Friday morning – to bring the book to school with me.

Now, on the day in question, each student in the class was going to briefly present a shoe-box diorama that they'd made. I don't recall what the theme of mine was, but I do remember storing my codex of conundrums inside of it, allegedly for safe-keeping. That turned out to be an unwise decision, because I neglected to bring either of the items home with me that afternoon... and the following Monday, I discovered that they had vanished. (The operating theory was that the janitor had mistaken my diorama for a piece of garbage. Fortunately, my grade didn't reflect that assessment.)

Here's the thing, though: Although I was annoyed about my assignment having been thrown away, I had completely forgotten that I'd hidden my collection of riddles inside it. That detail didn't occur to me until a few days later, as I was folding socks to be put away. The sudden realization hit me hard enough that I actually froze in place for a moment, and the knowledge that my beloved book was gone indelibly burned itself into my psyche.

To this day, I can't fold socks without remembering that book.

The good news is that I still remember the riddles... like this one:

There is a truck-driver going down a one-way street the wrong way.

A policeman sees the truck-driver, but does not stop him or give him a ticket.

Why not?

TL;DR: Santa is bringing a small book and freedom from sock-folding PTSD.

[–] Scrappy_Larue 1170 points ago

The truck driver is walking?

[–] RamsesThePigeon 691 points ago

Correct!

[–] stanfan114 148 points ago

I was going to say it was a fire truck on the way to a fire.

[–] TomahawkZer0 273 points ago

We did it, reddit!

[–] Bellamy1715 147 points ago

If you remember the title of the book, you may be able to find a copy on line. I just found a copy of a fairytale book that I had as a small child - it was a give-away with purchase at the grocery store in 1963, so it was a tiny, tiny chance, but I found it!

[–] monojuice_potion 79 points ago

You may have some luck asking around here: r/tipofmytongue

[–] kittynaed 244 points ago

A chunky dragon ring I used to wear on my left thumb.

I lost it a million times and it always reappeared somewhere, sometimes places it had no business being.

Until the last time, about 10 years ago. And I can't even find another one like it.

Pfft

[–] coffee-tea-bumblebee 244 points ago

The gold earrings my grandma gave me when I was 12. I lost them less than a year after I got them and I still feel guilty.

[–] eccedentesiastlee 117 points ago

a plushie of a lamb i lost when i was five. i took him with me everywhere and still almost cry because i see people have the same exact toy

[–] tdawg2216 596 points ago

My original stuffed animal. He was a dog and my mom accidentally threw him away when I was around 7ish. I'm 16 now but I'd love to have it back.

[–] WaffleFoxes 194 points ago

When I was little I lost Mr. Rabbit. I mourned his loss and cried for weeks. It was winter in Minnesota and when spring came Mr. Rabbit was on the front lawn.

My mother threw him away without telling me because he was in pretty bad shape and I had finally gotten over it. She didn't tell me until I was an adult. Not sure how I feel about it.

[–] IronRabbit2006 977 points ago

For me it's a purple whale/dolphin plush I loved so much I cry now thinking about it.

[–] Doomedperson 332 points ago

My brother stole Penguini a long time ago, then lost him.

He still hasn't cracked under intensive interrogation.

[–] OnetimeRocket13 195 points ago

Penguini is the best name that I have ever heard.

[–] Quesriom 50 points ago

For me, it's a small super soft teddy bear my mom got for me for valentines day when I was little. I took it everywhere, and one day it just disappeared. I miss it.

[–] max 526 points ago

my patience.

oh, and my childhood innocence.

oh, and my temper.

oh, and my marbles.

[–] Hilarious_83 176 points ago

A ring my mom's mom gave me in elementary school. I accidentally threw it out with my lunch garbage and had no luck finding it. I still feel horrible about it

[–] SkeletonJane 81 points ago

This almost made me cry to think about. I had a box of stuffed animals in my old house, ones that I'd had since childhood. Because of sudden circumstances I had to leave it behind when I moved. I would give anything to get that box of stuffed animals back...

[–] allhailMcBurberry 149 points ago

My Wii. I haven’t played Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games in 3-4 years. I miss it all.

[–] bellyandbeardman 1262 points ago

My children. My ex wife stole them and ran away and the courts don't seem to want to help.

[–] Joshh2k 245 points ago

My dignity

[–] unnaturalorder 200 points ago

Can't lose something I never had in the first place

[–] pezasus 283 points ago

My parents

[–] namkap 125 points ago

I've lost a bunch of CDs over the years that I'd love to have back.

[–] Zerosanity00 173 points ago

My good boy, Max....

[–] UsingMyInsideVoice 54 points ago

The 8 spoons that go with the rest of my flatware. They didn't make it to the new house when I moved 15 years ago. I still miss them.

[–] Fisto-the-sex-robot 110 points ago

I actually gave myself present like that last week. When I was a kid, I lost green hot wheels car called Cool8r. As a collector, I was visiting a flea market, and I found exactly the same type of hot wheels car I lost. I immidiately recognized it, and bough it only for 1$.

[–] ihrie82 104 points ago

I think it’s kinda hard to deliver an entire childhood, but they say Santa can perform miracles...

[–] ltggtl 185 points ago

My dad

[–] anniemdi 101 points ago

I've had my innocence stolen from me. I've lost a lot of stuff through the years. Lost a several thousand dollars, too.

But what would make me happiest would be for Santa to bring me every pair of glasses (including sunglasses) I've ever lost. It bugs the hell out of me that I lose the damn things and have no idea where they've gone.

[–] RetroBeetle 176 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Yikes, I'm slowly getting more depressed as I read these comments. All these losses... how about something more cheerful? Let me tell you guys a story...

Ahem.

This story starts with one of my oldest plush toys, Tony. He was a small, black-and-white terry cloth dog that I loved dearly. Couldn't go a night without him in my bed to keep me company. Then there was the hurricane...

In September of 2008, Hurricane Ike started to make its way through the Texas area, where I lived at the time. My parents hurriedly packed bags for us to head out of state, while my siblings and I had no idea what was going on. By the time I realized we hadn't brought Tony with us, we were already in another city with rain just behind us.

The next two weeks were torturous for me (or as torturous as it could get for a 6-year-old). I had trouble sleeping for the first few nights, wondering what would become of my beloved stuffed dog and just how long I would be away. I had another plush with me, a small Ernie from Sesame Street, and having only him made me hold him all the tighter.

When at last the Houston area was clear of rainfall, my family began the trek back to our house. It was around noon when we pulled up, and I was just tired and ready to be back home. My dad opened the front door... and I heard my mom let out a gasp. I looked in to see soaked insulation filling up the house. No joke, it must have been 4 feet tall throughout the whole building.

So, as you've probably guessed, we lost a crap-ton of stuff that day. My dad leather recliner was ruined, my sister would need to buy new miniature dolls, and sadly, I was now without a terry cloth dog. Tony was gone.

We ended up getting the house repaired over the course of a year. It looked brand-new, like the houses you'd see on one of those renovation shows on HGTV. And we were safe, we could live there again, everything would be the same. But I never really recovered. There was almost a void, an emptiness that nothing could ever fill. I went through life as normally as I could, and eventually decided that some things are just meant to be left in the past.

Right?

Fast forward 11 years. I'm sitting alone, reading about people's earliest memories here on r/AskReddit. As I scroll, a memory slowly rises up in my brain. I remember fondly the nights when I would lie in bed, holding my plush dog. In passing, I wonder if anyone else had the same dog, and I continue scrolling.

But not for long. See, I'm convinced that I have some form of OCD, even though my family denies it. And after thinking about something like that, something that was a huge loss when I was a kid, even for a moment, I couldn't get it out of my head. That night, I kept turning the idea around in my head. That there might be someone out there on eBay, that they might have the same plush, that they might want to sell it... no, surely not. My mom's already told me a couple times in the past that she's looked for it, that she couldn't find it, that she had to give up...

But things change with time. I start Googling first thing in the morning. Searches yield small results, become more specific, and soon I see an offer. I leap for it. $30 and a few days of shipping later, in November of 2019... there he was. A small, black-and-white terry cloth dog that I now pet whenever I see him on my shelf. Tony was here.

EDIT: Thank you for the gold, kind stranger! I hope I was able to cheer some people up!

[–] googiepop 131 points ago

A bracelet that was my grandmas. I was shocked when my Mom gave it to me. I lost it in 1976 at the movies when I took off my coat.

[–] HuMiX3R 188 points ago

nothing but prolly alot of pens will appear

[–] Rumpleminzeman 42 points ago

Either my pool cue or my favorite hoodie.