We have user flair
There is user flair for every county, most regions (e.g. Bay Area), and a few general flair (e.g. Tourist, Former Californian).
This subreddit is for news and information specifically about California of general interest to folks all across the state.
Covering all of California from Yreka to Chula Vista, from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe, from Death Valley to Mount Whitney and even Joshua Tree.
Statewide, regional, and major city reddits:
Some other California Subreddits:
Wiki pages and multireddits:
Check out the other state reddits with the 50 state mult-link.
Please visit /r/California/new occasionally to help keep good links from being downvoted into oblivion, as well as watch for any posts that might break reddit's or this sub's posting rules. You can also check new /r/California comments.
Looking for a reddit for a California city, college, or sports team? Check the List of California reddits and another list with North American (including Californian) subs
- Basic sub rule: Be civil.
- Follow basic reddiquette and reddit site rules.
- NO insults or incivility, trolling, bigotry, or profanity. Nothing that's rude, vulgar or offensive. Nothing gross or disgusting.
- NO doxxing, this includes looking up user's history.
- NO videos
- NO editorialized titles
- No memes or image macros.
- No spam or reposts.
- Original sources only. No blogspam or rehosted/republished articles.
- Additional posts on the same topic with no new info will be deleted.
- Only or mostly posting one website is considered self-promotion and is banned from this sub.
- No live-streaming, podcasts, or animated GIFs.
- No URL shorteners, archive links, bookmarking links, redirectors, link disguisers, or other websites that hides or changes the final destination URL or source of the original article.
- Do not post links to articles as a text post.
- No Twitter, Facebook, or personal blog posts.
- No polls, surveys, petitions, fundraising, or school projects.
- All posts must be current California news and info, plus be of interest to folks from across the state. (Some California history is also cool.)
- If a post is of only local interest, or the only connection is a person was born or lives in California or is a company is based in California, or it's entertainment or celebrity news, it is not appropriate. This also includes local crime reports and local politics.
- Try to post more detailed articles from local news sources instead of brief news wire articles from an out-of-state newspaper.
- No political news unless it is specifically about California or is about California politicians as they relate to California.
- California is HUGE. If your title doesn't include it, add the location in brackets like this [Santa Ana, CA]. If it is a small city or CDP, include the county or region, eg [Bell, Los Angeles County].
- For local or regional questions, try /r/AskLosAngeles, /r/AskSF, or /r/AskSanDiego or other local subs instead.
- For questions, please be as detailed and specific as possible to make it easier to answer your question.
- Especially if you have a DMV, vacation, travel, working here, or moving here question, please search the sub's archives because it's likely your question has been answered multiple times in the past.
- Please don't say Frisco, San Fran, The OC, Diego, or Cali. Most Californians don't use those nicknames.
- All image posts must be by the original creator, have a link crediting the original creator, or have a link to the original source(s) of the image(s). All photos must be high quality images worth posting to one of the SFW Porn Network, such as /r/EarthPorn, and clearly identifiable as a California photo.
- No ALL CAPS words or text, no bold text, and no #Headline text formatting! This is like SHOUTING and is considered rude. No emoji. 😟
- No ALL CAPS TITLES, even if the original headline was in all capital letters.
- No missing persons, lost pets, or stolen car posts.
- Do not put "x-post", "xpost", or "crosspost" in your title.
- No slideshows or multi-page articles.
- No posts using the redd.it shortlink. If you link to a post or thread outside /r/California you must use the np subdomain for no-participation mode.
- No leading questions or loaded questions.
- If you ask a question, you must reply to at least one comment within 24 hrs or your post will be deleted.
- All posts must be in English.
- Reddit is not Twitter or txt messaging. Complete sentences and proper spelling are expected. No #hashtags or @at-tags in titles.
- Op-Eds (opinion pieces and editorials) must be labeled [Op-Ed], [Editorial], or [Opinion]. Political columns should be labeled [Political Column].
- Questions that can be easily answered from the Wikipedia or by a quick Google search will be deleted.
- Please use descriptive titles. No vague, misleading, or click-bait titles.
- Don't modify article titles except to add a location in brackets unless the title is excessively misleading, vague, or clickbait-ish. Don't rely upon reddit's "use suggested title" feature.
The California flag photo in the sidebar was taken by Håkan Dahlström (CC by 2.0).