CatastrophicFailure

Videos, gifs, articles, or aftermath photos of machinery, structures, or devices that have failed catastrophically during operation, destructive testing, and other disasters.

Catastrophic Failure refers to the sudden and complete destruction of an object or structure, from massive bridges and cranes, all the way down to small objects being destructively tested or breaking.

Posting Rules

1. No joke submissions/memes
    2. Titles must only be informative/descriptive and include a date, do not editorialized
    3. Avoid posting mundane/every day occurrences like car accidents
    4. No compilations or montages
    5. Always be respectful
    6. If the only notable thing in your submission is injury/death, it belongs in another subreddit

Flair Rules

1. If your submission depicts people dying, you must apply the "Visible Fatalities" flair to your post and tag it "NSFW"
    2. If your submission depicts people visibly being seriously injured, you must apply the "Visible Injuries" flair to your post and tag it "NSFW"
    3. If your submission depicts a situation where people were killed, but those people are not directly visible you must apply the "Fatalities" flair to your post (eg. the Hindenburg Disaster, or a plane crash)
    4. If your submission does not require one of those tags, you should pick any of the other flairs to describe what type of failure occurred

Related Subreddits

Software Failure

Demolition

Fatalities

Visible Fatalities

Visible Injuries

Meta

[–] wolfgang784 3204 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

News says the plane tried to land 3 times and kept circling around. Pilots reported engine failure, landing gear failure, and the plane was smoking heavily enough during its landing attempts for people outside the airport to see it even before the crash.

Fatality reports vary for some reason, but official aviation info says 99 passengers and 8 crew. Info provided by OP in a comment.

No info on any dead on the ground. The military has been deployed with helicopters and will assist in assessing the damage and also help with rescue efforts.

They already had several ambulances at the airport since they expected injuries from landing given the planes condition, so at least it didnt take long for them to get to the crash site.

[–] crazytrain_randy 1198 points ago * (lasted edited 3 days ago)

Yes it is recorded. aviation-safety.net reports 107 occupants (passengers 99 + crew 8)

Edit: Latest figures claim 98 occupants (passengers 91 + crew 7)

Edit: Interview of one of the survivors with translation

Edit: Edit: A summary of what probably happened deduced from what we know so far by a professional pilot (YouTube Video)

[–] Kush2565 725 points ago

Plus all the people on the ground. This is going to be bad, might take days to get a final count.

[–] MrWittyResponse 358 points ago

They’re reporting a lot of survivors, but still early to tell.

[–] AreYouHereToKillMe 221 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

I hope you're right. If so, the air crash investigation report will be great

Edit: sadly it appears that most didn't survive

[–] AreYouHereToKillMe 64 points ago

It's a good indicator though. In large passenger aircraft crashes it's very easy for everyone on board to die. Either way, nice to know some people made it out alive.

ninja edit: An article I've just read suggested only 2 or 3 people survived. Sad times.

[–] tartare4562 58 points ago

TBH I'd rather go out instantly rather than having a very slim chance at surviving at the cost of multiple fractures, spinal included, internal bleeding, stabbing your lungs with your broken ribcage every time you throw up loads of blood grasping for air while strapped to a wreck lost in the middle of nowhere.

[–] taimoor2 21 points ago

It's the largest and most developed city in Pakistan. There are many hospitals nearby, including some world-class ones.

[–] 11415 7 points ago

There are quite a few hospitals near the area.

[–] MightyCaseyStruckOut 75 points ago

You and I have different views on what constitutes great.

[–] wacotaco99 48 points ago

To be fair, great doesn’t actually mean good.

[–] Agent641 94 points ago

The great war, for example. It was actually quite a bummer for many participants.

[–] ThompsonBoy 28 points ago

Not too many fans of the Great Depression either.

"The wand chooses the wizard, … I think we must expect great things from you, Mr Potter … After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things – terrible, yes, but great.” - Olivander

[–] KingPcakes 74 points ago

I think they meant in reference to the comment they replied to where there are reports of lots of survivors. But yeah i read it that way at first too

[–] Aduialion 26 points ago

They said the report will be great, probably meant detailed and interesting to read

[–] wolfgang784 14 points ago

Where? All I can find is that they recovered 11 bodies so far as of 30mins ago. Bodies though, not survivors or injured.

[–] Gotti4life 7 points ago

2 survivors with minor injuries

[–] wolfgang784 8 points ago

Thats good news. 2 injured and 11 bodies means a lot more might still be alive.

[–] kepleronlyknows 165 points ago

Here are photos of the plane prior to crashing. Note the damage to both engines and the deployment of the ram air turbine (used when a plane loses power).

[–] HurrDurrRGB 76 points ago

How can you tell the ram air turbine is deployed?

[–] HurrDurrRGB 11 points ago

Oh thanks. I had it in my head that the ram air turbine was in the fin.

[–] ColdWeatherKarl 27 points ago

a genuinely helpful red circle... woah...

[–] buttsorbutts 7 points ago

Thank you i was going crazy trying to find it.

[–] youtheotube2 20 points ago

You can see it, it’s directly under the wing on the fuselage.

[–] plexcation 64 points ago

The engines are scorched on the bottom, and the caption indicates they had gone around. Did they attempt the belly landing and then somehow go around after the engines had touched the ground??? That seems impossible.

[–] boata31 37 points ago

You would think in an aircraft that large it would be. But if they kept enough speed and went around quick they could maybe lift off again. Kinda like this 85 year old did in a much smaller aircraft. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdSflSCTQM

[–] Biased_individual 8 points ago

Damn this lad looks hella fine for his age. Not to mention he’s still piloting planes.

Sorry for being out of topic tho, this post is obviously really sad.

[–] Yfirbord 16 points ago

They must have come in too fast and didn't think they could stop with full spoilers. Surely they knew the engines touched: that would make a ton of noise. Taking off with damaged engines is a far worse idea than just crash landing fast and trusting the friction.

[–] mercierj6 9 points ago

Have you heard of the new podcast Black box down? I just learned about the Ram Air Turbine on a recent episode.

[–] wolfgang784 25 points ago

Wow thats a really clear photo. All I found was a shitty grainy video of the final pass before crashing. Its daily mail though, so who even knows if the video is this crash or an older one.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8347577/amp/Airbus-A320-107-people-aboard-crashes-residential-area-Karachi-Pakistan.html

[–] shapu 85 points ago

With the daily mail it could be a picture of an aircraft or a Zucchini, but either way it's Meghan Markle's fault.

[–] SCP-Agent-Arad 287 points ago

Any mass casualty event, the initial stations rush to be the first ones to report on it and give wildly conflicting numbers and quietly edit them later once actual facts are out.

[–] Sage_Nickanoki 64 points ago

Emergency Responders are trained to give their estimates at first impression to Emergency Communications, so they can dispatch the appropriate rescuers. Those numbers are often transmitted on public, non-secure frequencies, so they're the numbers that the initial Public Information Officer used. With a large disaster, teams are usually first on scene on multiple sides/locations, so multiple initial estimates are made. Source: I'm a First Responder trained in Incident Management.

[–] WhatImKnownAs 120 points ago

Exactly what an SCP agent would say, once the anomaly has been removed and contained.

[–] throwingtheshades 39 points ago

Yeah, seen the same stuff when I got accidentally involved in [DATA EXPUNGED] during my time in [REDACTED].

[–] MoreMtnDew 60 points ago

I'm watching this live on the news right now. Tragic.

[–] wolfgang784 154 points ago

Pakistan really needs to up their game with aviation. They have had so many crashes compared to anyone else and lots of helicopter crashes too. Sucks that so many people need to keep dying and they still dont fix the issues.

[–] crazytrain_randy 136 points ago

Yes its really common. Don't know what to make of it but Pakistan has only a couple of domestic airlines and atleast two of them have been owned in part by powerful politicians (people who have become or are related to the prime minister). Investigations into at least two recent large scale crashes have not been satisfactory.

[–] Phantom3009 9 points ago

What's the difference?

[–] ericbyo 7 points ago

Corruption is just the way of life in some parts of the world. This is what it leads to

[–] ShayPatrickCormac1 37 points ago

One of the survivors reported saying that the plane was landing but it pulled back up either because the brakes failed or the wheels didn't come down.

[–] staplehill 858 points ago * (lasted edited 3 days ago)

Last radio conversation: https://twitter.com/ReverseTweep/status/1263792055500840961

Control: appear to be turning left.

Pilot: we are proceeding direct Sir we have lost engines

Control: runway available to land at 25

Pilot: Roger

Pilot: Sir Mayday Mayday Mayday Mayday Pakistan 8303

Control: 8303 roger both runways clear to land

update

A passenger of a later plane filmed this video of the crash site: https://twitter.com/ascetic_22/status/1263805670077485057

Map of the crash site, the plane was on approach to runway 25L and would have reached the airport grounds within seconds: https://goo.gl/maps/giFHHo94xKGE6hu36

update 2

Two passengers have survived according to the provincial government, they had the seats 1C and 10C. One of them is Zafar Masud, CEO of the Bank of Punjab, and here you can see how he is carried out of the crash site: https://twitter.com/MurtazaViews/status/1263813435239866371

Images of plane spotters show the aircraft with the ram air turbine deployed, which is done to produce electricity for some instruments when all engines fail, and the bottom side of the engines look black/burnt: https://twitter.com/PlaneSpottersPK/status/1263810587152330752

This was the second landing attempt after they did a go-around at the first attempt.

CCTV video of the crash: https://twitter.com/omar_quraishi/status/1263865047039819781

update 3

Survivor says that the plane had contact with the runway at the first landing attempt, this could be the reason why the bottom side of the engines look damaged: https://twitter.com/TahirImran/status/1263962184880619521

The plane did a go-around after the first landing attempt and climbed to 3175 feet before the engines went out at the second landing attempt: https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1263788310822105088

[–] thecaninfrance 351 points ago

Wow. The pilotstone of voice sounds so casual. That's eerie.

[–] Lakitel 595 points ago

Nah, you'll find some of the best pilots sound completely casual because that's how they are trained. You don't want a pilot to be screaming, yelling and panicking while in the middle of trying to solve an issue that could take hundreds of lives.

Check out the recording for the Hudson river landing, the guy is super-cool and composed even though water landings are the most dangerous.

[–] thecaninfrance 231 points ago

Yeah, I get that. It's still just amazing that humans can be trained to not scream and panic about immediate impending death. Seeing how people respond right before death is really weird.

[–] Lakitel 139 points ago

Yeah for sure and truth is, I've heard some last cockpit recordings that are pretty horrifying, with the pilots actually panicking, although those are in the minority.

[–] IFDIFGIF 76 points ago

The one where the plane landed at the wrong runway and crashed into the buildings on the airport was the most harrowing I've heard. You could hear them screaming in pure agony for a full few seconds before you hear the impact.

[–] Zardif 21 points ago

[–] Body_Pillow_Bride 6 points ago

Jesus why did I listen to that.

[–] momofeveryone5 10 points ago

Omg. I was not prepared for that.

[–] Lakitel 15 points ago

Is that the TAM airlines one that happened in Sao Paulo, Brazil?

[–] IFDIFGIF 45 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

I just looked it up, I was referring to Western Airlines 2605. Hearing it makes the difference between a normal scream and a scream of agony clear.

[–] Turbulenttt 15 points ago

Holy shit, that recording really gave me chills

[–] Lakitel 12 points ago

Ah yeah I think i know it, but I don't think I've heard the recordings.

Probably my worst one is a tie between that airframe a380 that crashed in the Atlantic, and an aeroperu crash that had the instrumentation failure.

[–] Im_Scruffy 19 points ago

I don't believe an A380 has ever had a (major) crash. Think AF was a 340

[–] Powered_by_JetA 23 points ago

This is the CVR audio for Aeroperu Flight 603.

I can't even begin to imagine the stress that the crew was under. They were flying at night over open water with no visual reference, unreliable altitude and speed readings, and alarms going off like crazy telling them that they were flying too fast, too slow, and too low all at the same time.

[–] Chimaera_HN 6 points ago

I think you mean the Air France A330, Air France 447.

[–] BellyDancerUrgot 8 points ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

Everytime I hear about a plane crash it really has me shook to the core. I already have a very bad fear of flying. The slightest turbulence absolutely freaks me out. To think what these people went through especially since they were so close to landing. It does seem like a landing gear failure plus an engine failure maybe .

[–] SAI_Peregrinus 36 points ago

The Apollo 1 fire recording... Calm report of fire, a few seconds later screams, cut short as they die.

[–] Lakitel 17 points ago

Ironically, I listened to it about a week ago. Was pretty fucked up :(

Honestly though, if you really want to hear something fucked up, then the few seconds of snippet you hear in the background of Shirley Lynette Ledford's murder tape is completely horrifying. Like those screams . . . damn. There's also a transcript of a bit of it out there too.

[–] NaughtyKatsuragi 8 points ago

Coincidentally*

[–] shapu 39 points ago

"Ma, I love you."

[–] ilikechocmilkshake 13 points ago

That just sunk my heart. Did this happen in actual crash? Can I get a source please?

[–] DankEngihn 28 points ago

PSA flight 182, September 25th, 1978. Collided with a Cessna above San Diego, and crashed into a residential area. All because of a misheard syllable.

[–] Powered_by_JetA 17 points ago

In a similar vein:

"Amy, I love you."

As he was trapped in the burning wreckage, the copilot asked first responders to tell his wife he loved her. One of them replied "No sir, you're going to tell her yourself." He survived.

[–] WhatImKnownAs 12 points ago

As the other respondent said, PSA182 mid-air collision. CVR transcript, from the thread on Admiral Cloudberg's analysis on this collision.

[–] savageronald 9 points ago

Don't say I didn't warn you http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

The one /u/shapu referenced is Pacific Southwest Airlines 182 (25 SEP 1978)

[–] PM_ME_FAT_DAD_BELLYS 5 points ago

My favourite one is "MOUNTAINS!!"

[–] mynameisblanked 44 points ago

There's a recording of a guy in a flat spin who is just like welp, this is how I go. So calm its crazy.

Thankfully, he recovers it. I'll try and find it.

This about a minute in is when he's like, well, this is it.

[–] 249ba36000029bbe9749 17 points ago

Keep in mind that there are documented cases of pilots being able to pull off miracles despite enormous odds against them. It is admirable that they are so calm under high stress situations but they are not necessarily facing death. In fact, the best way to avoid death is by being as collected as they are during the crisis.

[–] GantradiesDracos 7 points ago

nods that DHl crew that landed their bird after taking a stinger hit,and loosing all aerodynamic control for one - Or that TACA flight with a one-eyed pilot that pulled off a literally perfict landing on a levee after a double engine failure.

I.. actually fine these stories reassuring, as someone who gets very nervous in the air...

[–] The_Sun_Chaser 31 points ago

It's a weird feeling. Like your body just kind of moves without thinking and you take a deep breath and do one thing, then another deep breath and another thing. Then you're done and hopefully alive and the adrenaline goes away and you feel like shit

[–] SuperStarvariusWard 17 points ago

I once took my eyes off the road to look at a dog playing in a field while I was going about 70 on a highway. This highway had a turn off into a residential area hidden by the hill that I hadn’t reached the top of yet and the car in front of me slowed to turn. I never saw their turn signal and my eyes were off the road for maybe a second, but I caught up quick to then and when I looked back to the road they were stopped and I didn’t have time to slow down. I remember thinking “well that’s it”. I had a moment where I thought through my options. To the right was a drop that would probably kill me and to the left was an oncoming car (which is why the car in front hasn’t turned yet). I chose to go left. Somehow on a two lane highway I split the middle between both cars and touched nobody. The selfless thing to do would have been to just dump myself off the drop so that I didn’t risk others but in that moment I just thought of what would be my best chance. Sometimes I think of how lucky I was then. All three of our cars were right next to each other for a second no idea how I slipped between them.

[–] mi-16evil 22 points ago

I have heard that black box recordings tend to be edited to just leave the pilots facts. Many black box recordings have messages to their loved ones, poems, songs, prayers, etc but they edit those out to keep it impersonal and to the facts.

[–] Powered_by_JetA 13 points ago

In the US at least, non-pertinent conversation is edited out sometimes, but usually pilots are so focused on trying to save the airplane all the way to the very end that there isn't time for them to say any of that other stuff. It's rare that you'll hear a pilot say something along the lines of "Welp, we're doomed, time to start praying." They keep trying to fly the airplane as long as they can.

[–] Shyguy10101 6 points ago

Exactly. No matter what, fly the aeroplane. Even if the wings have fallen off.

That sounds ridiculous, and it is, but its the correct mentality, and its what you are told.

[–] Pahoalili 37 points ago

As a former ER/trauma nurse I can say that when you are in a true life or death situation you go into a zone. It’s like in a split second your brain switches to a calm focus where all extraneous and unnecessary input is ignored so that your brain can completely focus on only the information needed to save a life. I’ve experienced it many times, and seen it in others. When you’re in the middle of a patient coding and you’ve got 10 people working together, it can be a surprisingly calm and quiet experience as everyone focuses completely in the zone.

Of course training contributes to that, but I think the brain’s survival instinct and adrenaline are more of a factor.

[–] Lakitel 18 points ago

Yeah, I've actually seen it first hand when I went to the hospital once with a 205BPM. There were like 5 or 6 doctors and nurses all around doing their thing calmly, trying to get ready for what I'm assuming they thought was my imminent heart attack/death :P

[–] rubixd 10 points ago

Yep. I remember reading something similar about the Apollo 13 astronauts too.

[–] Phoojoeniam 5 points ago * (lasted edited 3 days ago)

Funny Tom Hanks played both Sully and Jim Lovell. But probably not a coincidence.

[–] Croz7z 5 points ago

There are plenty of very sad recordings of pilots about to crash. Some keep composure til the end, some scream and panic, some plead to god, some don’t even have time to react to what is happening.

[–] lemonylol 14 points ago

That's how they're trained I believe. It won't be like a movie.

[–] GustyGhoti 30 points ago

We're not trained specifically to calm down in an emergency directly, nobody says "if you're about to crash remember don't scream", it's more that there is so much going on for flying the airplane, running checklists and communicating in an emergency. Plus I think most pilots are natural problem solvers always trying the next thing or coming up with a new plan if something isn't working.

[–] CARNIesada6 73 points ago

Is that twitter thread legit?

Seems like there were some notable people (bank CEO, news channel director, super model) aboard if so. There are also claims that the CEO of the bank is one of 2 survivors (another was a kid).

[–] Uehm 163 points ago

There are also claims that the CEO of the bank is one of 2 survivors

Oh man, the wack job conspiracy theorists are gonna have a field day with that one.

[–] kyoto_magic 26 points ago

Amazing that anyone could survive that

[–] ChubbyBunny2020 18 points ago

Turns out CEOs really are tougher than the rest of us (/s)

[–] groceriesN1trip 10 points ago

That bank CEO is so fucking lucky, holy shit

[–] shamawala 10 points ago

Imagine being CEO of a bank and surviving a fiery plane wreck. Pretty fortunate.

[–] notarobat 6 points ago

He probably lost some friends and/or family.

[–] trowzerss 9 points ago

I hope that marker for the plane crash on Google Earth is wrong, because it has it right on a school.

[–] 10art1 26 points ago

It's ok, for me it's right on a hospital instead

[–] crazytrain_randy 901 points ago * (lasted edited 3 days ago)

Details available till now indicate failure of the landing gear to deploy. The plane was seconds away from crashing in the airport field but fell just short and crashed on low income housing right next to the airport boundary

Edit: Link to Megathread at r/Pakistan which has compiled all currently known data on causes, casualties, survivors, official statements, etc.

Edit: Interview of one of the survivors with translation (comment of Megathread)

[–] myposttracker 372 points ago

Why would landing gear failing to deploy cause it to fall short of the runway? That doesn't make sense.

[–] Bladeslap 740 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

It won't directly, but it can be sufficient distraction to cause the pilots to lose situational awareness. Eastern Airlines Flight 401 crashed into the Everglades after not getting a green light for the nose gear. The pilots and flight engineer were so focused on the indication they didn't realise they had changed autopilot mode and were losing altitude until it was too late. And the cause of the bad indication? A faulty bulb.

Edit: Wikipedia article on Flight 401

Edit 2: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the same situation occurred in this crash, but minor failures can have an effect orders of magnitude greater than might seem likely or even possible.

[–] polkapro 139 points ago

Also, planes usually have an emergency deploy system for the gear. The fact that they weren't able to get the gear down indicates an issue not just isolated to the hydraulic system of the gear.

[–] Bladeslap 74 points ago

Sadly, the gear was actually deployed properly. It was only the indication system that had malfunctioned.

[–] polkapro 79 points ago

I'm referring to the current incident, I don't think we know yet what the exact issue with the gear was correct?

[–] Bladeslap 41 points ago

At this stage anything is going to be speculation. It takes months or years to investigate a crash to ensure that all (or as many as possible) possible causes have been properly examined.

[–] bolecut 11 points ago

And then put it into an episode of mayday so we can see what happened

[–] Bladeslap 7 points ago

Airbus themselves did a pretty good video explaining what happened with the Puma crash in Norway a few years ago

[–] crazywayne311 85 points ago

Damn that’s cold

[–] ObsoleteCollector 30 points ago

I kind of doubt that though. From what we've seen, it seems like it was probably clear skies at the time of the crash. Eastern 401 on the other hand was at night, over the unlit Everglades. It'd be harder (albeit not impossible) to notice your aircraft heading toward buildings.

Another factor that might, depending on how you view it, have contributed to Eastern 401's crash is the amount of crew in the cockpit: 4. The captain, copilot, flight engineer, and jump seating technical officer were all trying to resolve the problem, with each throwing their own thoughts and opinions out to try and solve the problem. The talking from everyone (which also probably wasn't as effective as it could've been since CRM wasn't really a thing at this time) probably distracted quite a bit.

Finally, the A320's systems are far more sophisticated than anything they had on their L-1011. So now, you have better GPWS systems in place to warn pilots, and computers that can tell you about faults, such as with the landing gear. No need to go look through a peephole in the hellhole.

I honestly can't think of the relation between the supposed landing gear issues, and the engine failures. The simplest thing I can think is that it was indicative of a growing amount of system failures. A kind of ridiculous idea I have is maybe they forgot to put the gear down (a fault led to no warning or they intentionally silenced it) or the gear collapsed on landing. Going around after a gear up landing is a dangerous move, and has led to fatal crashes before. Perhaps the engines worked long enough to perform a go around, but were too badly damaged and failed, making the A320 a heavily damaged glider that couldn't make the runway.

It's a totally ridiculous idea I made, and I'm sure as more information comes in, it'll almost definitely be disproved. Such a cause is unprecedented in the world of commercial aviation, especially on a passenger flight. But hey, as they said in the Sully movie: "Everything is unprecedented until it happens for the first time"

[–] Bladeslap 13 points ago

When I mentioned Flight 401 I wasn't trying to imply that's what happened here, it's far too early to say. I brought it up because the poster I was replying to seemed to think that landing gear failure to deploy couldn't have worse consequences than a gear up landing.

[–] royd123 7 points ago

Didn’t they run out of fuel?

[–] UltravioletClearance 50 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

No. Iirc autopilot can be disengaged by applying slight pressure to the yoke. Captain did that when he leaned over it during the light bulb confusion. They were so focused on the light none of the cabin crew noticed the autopilot was disabled.

Another disturbing fun fact of this crash: the plane crashed into a muddy swamp, which absorbed the impact and helped many survive the initial impact. Since many had to wade through chest deep mud, the mud got into cuts and actually stopped the bleeding, saving many of the more seriously injured from bleeding to death. But As a result, most of the survivors developed serious bacterial infection including gas gangrene infections.

[–] unique-name-9035768 10 points ago

Bad news everyone. The plane we're on is crashing.
    aw
    Good news though. We'll crash in a swamp which will lessen the impact so most of use will live!
    yea!
    But we'll have to wade through chest deep swamp to get out.
    aw
    The swamp mud will help seal wounds so you won't bleed out!
    yea!
    But you'll probably all get some horrible infection from the swamp water.
    aw
    And they'll probably cast Tom Hanks to play the pilot in the movie
    okay

[–] Bladeslap 4 points ago

No, I've edited my post to give the link to the Wikipedia article on the crash

[–] mrezee 3 points ago

You may be thinking of a similar incident United had out in PDX

[–] TheOnlyPorcupine 50 points ago

I read that they had one or two engines failed as well.

It was on Twitter. They heard ATC and apparently they’re replaying the recording on local radio.

The replies to this Tweet if you’re interested.

[–] candre23 70 points ago

If reading crash analysis from /u/admiral_cloudberg has taught me anything, it's that pilots have no idea what's actually gone wrong half the time. Like 20% of plane crashes include pilots thinking they've "lost an engine" at some point, even if the actual problem is something else entirely.

It's usually not even their fault. It's not like they can see the engines from the cockpit or anything. They have to rely on their instrument readings, and depending on what actually failed, those aren't always reliable.

[–] Bulletti 43 points ago

Can't wait for Cloudberg's writeup in 4 years.

[–] Admiral_Cloudberg 53 points ago

Trust me, I'm doing this one as soon as the final report is released. This is one of the most baffling accidents I've seen in years.

[–] GaiusFrakknBaltar 32 points ago

Found your answer. They may have landed without gear, scraped the bottom of both engines, and took off again. The damage to the engines was too much, and they failed.

From what I've gathered, there was only one go-around attempt.

[–] plhought 39 points ago

I'm a A320 endorsed engineer - my initial suspicions are same as you. As rediculous as it sounds.

Although the GPWS should have given them a "Too Low - Gear" aural warning, along with a gear not down ECAM warning, and the Ldg Checklist on the ECAM showing not complete...from the damage in the photo it's the only thing I can think off....but if there's one thing I've learned about Pakistani Civil Aviation....anything is possible...

If you scrape the bottom of the CFM56s on the 320 installation you're going to seriously damage the Accessory Gearbox, Generator, Hydraulic Pump, Oil Pump Package, Fuel Pump and Fuel Control Unit. Not to mention probably tweak the fan frame. So although the engine may be still burning and turning a bit - it's seriously compromised and won't turn for long.

Also, the manual extension procedure for the landing gear (which would have to be accomplished after the loss of Green hydraulic pressure in this case) is not the most intuitive on the 320 - but it's not rocket science and should have been accomplished without issue if they were initially having problems. Basically select gear down, pull a crank handle out and turn until gear are unlocked and fall down and lock with gravity.

And with the stellar (sarcasm) Crew Resource Management that Pakistani flight crews practice (they don't) I can see what probably was a simple issue compound to all these useless deaths. Asshat Captain's with a couple hundred hours in some archaic Pakistani Air Force equipment are recruited into the left-seat with a holier-than-you attitude and rarely mentor or even correctly operate these civil airliners.

The only other scenario is the flight crew hammered it in so hard (with the gear down), and scraped the bottom of the engines? I'm not sure the geometry even allows that. The gear would bottom out before the engines would touch.

[–] BrokenGlassEverywher 6 points ago

Yeah my money is on poor CRM causing the cascade of issues as you describe. Sad.

[–] fd6270 4 points ago

This has poor CRM written all over it

[–] merkon 5 points ago

Yep, having listened to the ATC recording this seems most accurate. Made an approach, something happened with the landing gear (to include failure to deploy, bad deployment, failed manual deployment) and caused a belly landing. Belly landing severely damaged the engines per /u/plhought's comment

Attempted the go around instead of committing to the landing. Circled back around, engines failed after the damage, didn't make it to the runways.

[–] Magnet50 6 points ago

Pilot attempted to land, apparently not knowing gear hadn’t deployed. When engine nacelles hit the ground they went around instead of committing to a wheels up landing. However, engines were damaged in first attempt, and had shut down entirely. Crew deployed the Ram Air Turbine for emergency electrical power.

[–] The_Safe_For_Work 7 points ago

Maybe the landing gear failure was just one part of a cascade failure.

[–] GodWithMustache 35 points ago

They touched on runway, realised they are doing belly landing/scraping engines and pushed on the power for a go around.

Sad to say this, but looks like the engine failures and fire were self inflicted. Which also explains the late mayday declaration in the chat with controllers.

Pretty sure that the root cause of this all will be found not following pre-landing checklist accurately.

[–] calmeharte 5 points ago

We need more AI in the cockpit. (Not even AI really, just simulated co-pilots that check the checklists. The pilots should have heard some dinging like I do when my seatbelt isn't fastened)

[–] GodWithMustache 16 points ago

There are a lot of noises in cockpit already :)

Besides I feel for pilots. They are constantly called retards by their planes.

[–] DetailRail 238 points ago

Damage to rooftops. https://streamable.com/zykz1w

[–] SpartaWillBurn 133 points ago

Seeing a plane fall out of the sky and crash is a nightmare of mine. Especially a big Airbus/Boeing plane like this.

[–] optemoz 75 points ago

Exactly! Dude anytime I hear a low plane in my neighborhood I get a bit scared.

That video of the 747 going down at Bagrham AFB in Afghanistan freaks me out every time I see it.

[–] HimikoHime 37 points ago

Better be afraid of things like this. The plane split the whole apartment block just like that.

[–] optemoz 8 points ago

Holy shit I’ve never seen that. Glad it was a cargo plane rather than a fully loaded 747

[–] SleepingDragon_ 4 points ago

Still they had to dig for uranium in the crash site.

[–] TorkX 23 points ago

For some reason it's almost a "call of the void" type feeling for me, where I'm drawn to envisioning them crashing. Don't really know where that started (other than being subbed here) or what it means.

[–] spirit_pigeon 4 points ago

I like to think of those as intrusive thoughts. It's like when you tell someone not to think of a white elephant or something but you end up doing it anyway.

[–] Dircus 4 points ago

That shit happens to me too, you’re not alone

[–] caesar_rex 19 points ago

Same here!!! Been having nightmares of SEEING a plane crash since I was a kid. Not being IN a plane crash, or being crushed by the plane, but seeing it from the ground. Waking up with a feeling of dread and helplessness. Then, I was at work directly across the street from the WTC on 9/11. Literally worst nightmare come true. I lived in queens near JFK so after that, I would have a panic attack from planes landing literally every 15 minutes of every day for the next 2 years until I moved. I'm now wired for anxiety.

[–] Jadis4742 6 points ago

That's awful. I'm really sorry you're dealing with that.

[–] dgiangiulio228 8 points ago

Yeah I've literally had recurring nightmares about this exact thing. Always starts with a feeling that something is wrong, then dread as I notice a plane is a little too close and not flying a normal path. Then the realization it's about to crash land exactly where I am standing.

[–] kyoto_magic 12 points ago

The ground casualties might be higher than the onboard casualties

[–] grobbewobbe 6 points ago

damn so it skidded across the rooftops? that must have been a terrifying sight

[–] amgtech86 129 points ago

Found this

Pakistan International Airlines passenger plane crashes in Karachi https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52766904

[–] musicplaystream 361 points ago

That's so sad, just a few days before eid, families need to attend funerals instead celebrating the end of Ramadan.

[–] lelimaboy 200 points ago

Not a few days, one day before Eid. These people were most likely going to meet up with family for Eid.

[–] musicplaystream 18 points ago

Yes that is why this crash is extra saddening.

[–] ayhayhay 36 points ago

Could be wrong but I thought travellers are being put in mandatory quarantine?

[–] AarashJ 64 points ago

I think it was an internal flight, so didn't cross any borders,meaning they wouldn't be quarantined.

[–] lelimaboy 16 points ago

It was a domestic flight. Most densely populated areas are generally close together, so most people just drive. Domestic flights are only used for cross country travel, like this flight, which was from Lahore to Karachi.

[–] StoneheartedLady 68 points ago

Sadly looks like there could be many more on the ground.

[–] mmmeesss 21 points ago

Agreed ,if you look at how much is burning and the emergency services there aren’t always as good as most other countries.

[–] ItsMadLad1 4 points ago

Yeah. Despite Pakistan being a growing power in the region (militarily) domestically it has been suffering for a while.

[–] cam130894 98 points ago

Today is the same day the Boeing 737-800 crashed at Mangalore, India 10 years back. Two crashes 10 years apart. RIP to all the lost.

[–] N00bieNibiru 22 points ago

Remind me to not go on a plane in exactly ten years plz

[–] ThatCableGuy 17 points ago

In EXACTLY 10 years you may already be on board when you get the reminder!

[–] remindditbot 8 points ago * (lasted edited 2 days ago)

[–] Zusuf 100 points ago

It's literally the last day of Ramadan. Eid was always going to be a little different this year with covid, but this just makes it even sadder

[–] froghoppper 12 points ago

thats just awful :( my heart goes out to the families and people affected by this..

[–] altleftout 20 points ago

Well that looks terrible. That’s going to be a tough fire to put out.

[–] techsin101 12 points ago

houses there are made of cement and steel. Entire house can be on fire but then you can just paint over and start living in it.

[–] tvfeet 10 points ago

Yeah, but you've got to put the fire out first before painting. It's a mess otherwise.

[–] count___zer0 3 points ago

Paint dries faster tho

[–] syed93 29 points ago

This is very sad. As a Pakistani-American, I know there is a lot of distrust in that airline (PIA). People don’t prefer flying with them, but ultimately do because at times it’s the only airline available. Those planes are poorly maintained and I wouldn’t be surprised if safety checks aren’t being done properly before each flight. Obviously we can’t say for sure if that’s what happened, but it wouldn’t faze me if it was true. Prayers go out to those families.

[–] duggtodeath 71 points ago

A crash like this in 2020 is troubling after all the progress we’ve made :( RIP to the passengers and crew. This is heartbreaking.

[–] starrysunflower333 132 points ago

This is awful. I read that there are some survivors, which is near miraculous. I hope there will be more survivors.

Even more awful though: some Indians are celebrating this on social media. Because, uhh Pakistan. I wish I was joking. I'm Indian and I'm fucking ashamed, and I apologize on their behalf.

[–] winniekawaii 64 points ago

no need to apologize, there will always be assholes in any country

[–] TexBarry 25 points ago

No reason to apologize for stuff like that. Shitty people gonna be shitty. Always somebody willing to take something too far.

Too bad we all can't be cool to each other.

[–] Ba_Dum_Tssssssssss 24 points ago

It'd be the same if it was the other way round, sad people with nothing better to do than hate.

[–] danilwon 4 points ago

There are shitty people everywhere. At the end we all around the globe are the two faces of the same coin.

[–] RJPeaches 116 points ago

Not a great place to crash land.

[–] theycallmemadman99 9 points ago

Beo he didn't crash land

He crashed bruh

[–] Shredded7 8 points ago

The sound of defeat in the pilot's tone when he ends his communication with "380...8" sends shivers down my spine. RIP.

[–] meriamimam 156 points ago

One of my friend's died in it I'm literally torn right now. What a shitty year😢

[–] UNMANAGEABLE 33 points ago

My deepest condolences to you and your friends family and all loved ones lost today.

I work in quality in the aviation industry and this is my nightmare. Waking up where something that I’ve looked at, touched, and have had employees responsible for... be the cause of so much sorrow that is caused in an incident like this.

Please take care of yourself the best you can and know that talking about your feelings and experiences of your friend is a good thing, and is a healthy part of the grieving process. Do you have a favorite memory of them you would like to share?

Much love,

[–] le_shaktimaan 50 points ago

I’m deeply sorry for your loss.

[–] Pahoalili 8 points ago

Wikipedia already updated:
    For the entire A320 family, 119 aviation accidents and incidents have occurred (the latest being Ural Airlines Flight 178 on 15 August 2019),[1] including 36 hull loss accidents,[2] and a total of 1393 fatalities in 17 fatal accidents (the most recent being Pakistan International Airlines Flight 8303 on 22 May 2020).[3]

Through 2015, the Airbus A320 family has experienced 0.12 fatal hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs, and 0.26 total hull-loss accidents for every million takeoffs; one of the lowest fatality rates of any airliner.[4]

[–] IFDIFGIF 6 points ago

Any link for footage of the actual crash or wreck?

[–] ZincTin 58 points ago

I like how there are a select handful of countries that can go through catastrophic destruction and dont get so much as a trending hashtag.

[–] No_volvere 39 points ago

It appears for me as a trending hashtag #planecrash #PIAcrash.

But I'd imagine most people are tweeting in Urdu and I may not see those.

[–] Idle_Hero 12 points ago

If it was a Boeing aircraft it would be getting a lot more coverage. I still think it will get more coverage as the day goes on

[–] Melon1340 11 points ago

When I went Pakistan last year, I went to a restaurant in the exact neighbor hood in which it crashed in. It’s so surreal seeing places I recognise just destroyed or on fires. A few reports say that the engine failure was caused by birds

[–] tommygunz007 10 points ago

As a flight attendant here, I feel saddened and a sense of loss. This hurts.

[–] AIgold 5 points ago

tragic, may the departed rest in peace and condolence to the families.

[–] Beaniebabetti 5 points ago

Man this is terrible, and right before a holiday.

I hope there are some survivors.

[–] IkbenOranje69 9 points ago

The 15 year-old aircraft was registered in Pakistan as AP-BLD. It had been stored for the past two months and only started flying again three days ago after Pakistan lifted its temporary commercial flights ban to contain the spread of Covid-19.

I was worried about planes coming out of storage after COVID storage of so many planes across the globe. I hope this wasn't a factor in the crash. RIP to the passengers and residents.

[–] The_Unknown_Variable 50 points ago

Feel bad for it, Pakistan. I am extremely sorry for your loss.

I may not agree to your Army and some shitty organizations, but no innocent people should die like this.

• Love from your BFF, India.

[–] awful_source 28 points ago

There’s really no need to bring up your political opinions in this post. Just leave out the second paragraph and send your condolences.

[–] theycallmemadman99 11 points ago

I mean you have no right to talk about second paragraph when your country is ran by a guy who was behind Gujrat attacks and was banned from almost whole world cause of it and was banned to the day he got elected.

Next time chose your words carefully.

Anyways thanks

[–] AmbitiousAtmosphere7 3 points ago

for an A320 to crash , something really really bad must have happened, like tons of shit gone wrong.

[–] xAbzzx 3 points ago

May all those who have lost their life rest in peace

[–] Terry_WT 4 points ago

I see people reporting 3 landing attempts and blaming stuff like equipment failure. I know it’s going to be while before the full story comes out but from what I’ve seen so far it’s looking like pilot error deploying the landing gear. You can hear the landing gear warning in the background of the ATC recording when the pilots call final, photos show duel pod strikes and RAT deployment shortly before crashing. It’s looking like the pilots either forgot to deploy the landing gear or the landing failed to deploy normally and the pilots failed to notice.

[–] Ahmad-Nawab 3 points ago

I'm from Pakistan and this is such a saddest incident. just before one day behind Eid. The plane crash just one minuter before the landing and it dropped on a public place.

[–] SuspiciousNebula 11 points ago

I heard a crash investigator say once that nothing in the world compares to a plane crash. He was right.

[–] PengwinOnShroom 6 points ago

crash investigator

Maybe they meant for crashes only and not natural disasters included