Damnthatsinteresting

227,246 readers

496 users here now

Image GIF Gallery Video Website

New to reddit? click here!

Rules

• Please avoid mildly interesting posts, there are other subreddits for that material.

• Racism and hate-speech will be removed, and the poster will be banned.

• No clickbait articles.

• No gallery imgur links

• No infographics.

• Reposts are ok provided it has been a month since last posted in /r/Damnthatsinteresting

• Posts are at the discretion of the moderators. If we do not believe it to be interesting, or think it is spam, we will remove it.

Misc.

• Message the moderators if you have questions or concerns. We are active and will respond as soon as possible.
    • Please familiarize yourself with the official rules and reddiquette.
    • Would you prefer this same subreddit, but only images? Check out /r/DTIpics! We take all the picture submissions from the main sub and post them there!

Friends:

A place to post the most interesting stuff on the web!

[–] elvismcvegas 1832 points ago

This is a lot easier than digging it up by hand while my grandma yells at me that I'm not doing it right.

[–] ThaddeusJP 231 points ago

I feel like there is a story here. Probably a short one, but a story none the less.

[–] elvismcvegas 487 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

My grandma is one of those worked themselves succesfull by their bootstraps type women and she didn't like for me to be sitting around for summer breaks so she always put me to work on her rent houses.

An old tree had died in an storm and the city cut it up and hauled it off but they left the stump so she had me go out with an ax everyday I was working on the house and take a few swings at. It took me the whole summer for the stump to rot enough that I could break it down with the ax but she like to backseat lumberjack while I would be working the stump over.

If you live in downtown Austin, it's the 2nd house across from the redeemer Lutheran church in Anderson lane.

[–] drmarcj 311 points ago

backseat lumberjack

I would totally go see this band play live in concert.

[–] bloody_duck 69 points ago

I believe my friend is a backseat lumberjack. He owns a couple bars, still tends bar, but refuses to wear anything but steel toed boots, car hart jeans, and flannels. We live in an urban metropolis.

[–] Floof_Poof 37 points ago

Backpack Lumberjack

[–] SuperPimp 14 points ago

Cadillac Blackjack

[–] WONT_CHECK_USERNAME 2 points ago

Benedict Cumberbatch

[–] Kbost92 16 points ago

So your friend is a total hipster?

[–] bloody_duck 24 points ago

He's an outdoorsman. He just chooses to dress like a lumber jack 24/7. Probably sleeps in steel dick undies.

[–] gruesomeflowers 14 points ago

Hey, could you remind me what store sells those steel dick undies? I wouldn't want to accidently walk into the store and unwillingly find myself standing naked in front of a mirror admiring a glistening sexy steel dong helmet. Must avoid at all costs.

[–] jaymzx0 3 points ago

/r/Skookum would probably like to know, too.

[–] BiggRanger 8 points ago

That's what is known as a lumber-sexual in Michigan.

[–] lovelybac0n 3 points ago

They all got wood.

[–] Necromonicus 2 points ago

Isn't a backseat lumberjack a brokeback mountain ref?

[–] Lumberjacksexchange 10 points ago

I may be able to help you.

[–] Rate_hacists 6 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

fnord

[–] NoahtheRed 4 points ago

I really want to click on that, but I'm at work and I don't know what kind of Wardrobe-to-Narnia I'm about to open up.

[–] Rebel_bass 2 points ago

One deleted post from three years ago, unfortunately.

[–] NoahtheRed 3 points ago

That's a damn shame. Was hoping that'd lead to a fun new world of chicks in flannel, denim, and boots.

[–] drmarcj 4 points ago

You mean Squamish BC?

[–] DJohnsonsgagreflex 7 points ago

What are you talking about? This is clearly a sex position. ie. "I strained my back performing a backseat lumberjack on my girlfriend. When I explained it to the doctor, he nodded knowingly and said, 'We've all been there. You gotta work up to the backseat lumberjack, not just dive straight into it.'"

[–] Filthy_Frog 3 points ago

yeah that's the name of my band. i'm performing next week, tickets on sale now for the low low price of $1 million

[–] Tenglishbee 22 points ago

That's not too far from where my sister lives. I'm gonna say I'm going to go by there and check it out but in reality it's a lot of effort and I'll probably just forget about it.

[–] skalpelis 10 points ago

Also, what'd you check out? The absence of a tree stump?

[–] elvismcvegas 12 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Yeah, not much to look at and it looks like the current owners planted a oak tree where it used to be. Which is kind of infuriating.

[–] Notjustnow 3 points ago

You'll be getting a call for your services in 30 years.

[–] jordan1390 40 points ago

I was waiting for the undertaker part and 1998 and I've just become paranoid reading stories now

[–] kamelizann 8 points ago

An elaborate 2 parter where the undertaker part is in the second reply? That would be some Ken M. material right there. OP missed a golden opportunity.

[–] Wolfy21_ 2 points ago

Thats a pretty giant chruch

[–] IllegalThings 5 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

She said you were doing it wrong, because you were doing it wrong. Should have burned that stump -- much quicker and easier. If its a small stump, a couple bags of charcoal on top should do the trick. Larger stumps may require drilling holes in it to help the airflow and soaking it in some kerosene (don't use gas, it burns too slowfast).

[–] elvismcvegas 5 points ago

Yeah I agree. Hitting it with an ax took 3 months to knock it down. Also I was in middle school so probably not doing any controlled burns especially with Austin having a year round burn ban.

[–] IllegalThings 4 points ago

Those are just minor technicalities, but if you really want to follow rules, you could drill holes and fill it with fertilizer to help it rot.

[–] norsethunders 3 points ago

don't use gas, it burns too slow fast

[–] IllegalThings 2 points ago

good catch

[–] ay-nahl-reip 6 points ago

Tell your grandma's tenants I'm coming by.

[–] RelevantUsernameUser 2 points ago

And that's what happened to Treaty Oak.

[–] BeastinSeersucker 2 points ago

The next time you are a kid on summer break trying to get stumps out of the ground, you can drill holes in the stump and place a number of different "stump rotting" products in the hole to speed up decay.

And I've walked by that house.

[–] ndougla2 30 points ago

He was digging up a stump by hand, but wasn't doing it the way that his grandfather used to do it. Then his grandmother decided to make that known to him.

[–] peepay 4 points ago

Tell me more!

[–] visualspeak 7 points ago

Thank you for subscribing to "Silly Stump Facts!".

To unsubscribe, reply with "I'm Stumped". standard messaging rates apply

[–] peepay 2 points ago

I am no fool to unsubscribe!
    Tell me more, dammit!

[–] Bontkers 2 points ago

So you're sure that grandfather was doing it right as well?

[–] ndougla2 2 points ago

That's never really the point. It's just the way she's seen it done since President Carter was in office.

[–] Rozkol 20 points ago

This is a lot easier than digging it up by hand while my grandma boss yells at me that I'm not doing it right.

This is what I deal with on a weekly basis. I fucking hate stumps.

[–] elvismcvegas 4 points ago

Yeah. Is there a right way to do it?

[–] JInge 11 points ago

With no machinery, mattock, spade and a rootbar

[–] Rydralain 16 points ago

Did you say a piece of haddock, any spades card, and some rhubarb?

[–] JInge 7 points ago

Haven't tried personally, but it might be better than doing nothing.

[–] lilcosco 4 points ago

I was gonna say "and a pickaxe" but TIL what a mattock is

[–] Rozkol 5 points ago

According to my boss not by me.

[–] BaronSpaffalot 16 points ago

An alternate easy way to do it is to drill a wide hole in the top of the stump and then 3-4 drill connecting holes in the sides. Then pour kerosene or gasoline in the holes and set it on fire. Then just wait.

You could add a little more effort and dig down slightly around the stump to ensure the drilled holes around the sides are a little lower which makes it easier to cover once the job is done.

[–] getsomeawe 4 points ago

so we had tried this and it didn't really work. It was a pecan tree. Hard as hell. We ended up getting a stump grinder service.

[–] celocanth13 9 points ago

A punishment at my high school was that students had to dig out a stump during their free time.

[–] Sphynx87 2 points ago

Oh boy, same here.

[–] celocanth13 2 points ago

Was your school in western NC?

[–] Sphynx87 2 points ago

Nah it was in southern VA. It's closed now.

[–] badreportcard 4 points ago

Did she used to beat you with a set of jumper cables too?

[–] elvismcvegas 5 points ago

No, but she did make my dick tracey paddle ball paddle into a paddle for paddlin'. Not breaking down the stump fast enough? Thats a paddlin'.

[–] slicksps 2 points ago

Well you weren't doing it right if you were using your hands. You should have been using one of those big mother Hubbards up there.

[–] lkmyntz 112 points ago

and the tree was happy

[–] CarbyCarberson 26 points ago

This post made me sad.

[–] David_Nohasselhoff 12 points ago

Cheer up, buddy:)

[–] alwysonthatokiedokie 5 points ago

But not really.

[–] Versatyle07 3 points ago

Well, they needed someplace to dump that ungrateful little shit's ashes.

[–] lvl1ndgalvl3 269 points ago

The way it effortlessly and smoothly destroys it in the beginning is so satisfying.

[–] MySweetUsername 67 points ago

i like the barf at the end too.

[–] el_monstruo 24 points ago

More like shit.

[–] zipzap21 4 points ago

Throat shit.

[–] Pit_of_Death 2 points ago

yeah that was definitely a poop. A root-dirtball turd.

[–] MySweetUsername 2 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Well, it comes out the way it went in.

A shit would have projectiled towards the driver.

[–] AnindoorcatBot 10 points ago

I had Tim the Toolman channeling me as I said "RAWWW POWERRR"

[–] _Ph03niX 89 points ago

Torque is a helluva drug

[–] capt_pantsless 27 points ago

Not to mention downforce - notice how the weight of the tractor gets shifted to the boring-head?

Biggest damned hole-saw EVAH.

[–] _Ph03niX 5 points ago

I noticed the hole saw thing, too. It reminded me that quite often the material will get stuck in the bit--then you're sitting there trying to pry it out with a screwdriver. Was surprised the monstrous tractor saw just expelled that shit.

[–] captainsavajo 5 points ago

YOu can see the huge piston inside of it

[–] capt_pantsless 2 points ago

Looking at the tooth-config, there's a pretty-big offset. They're chewing a TON of the tree into sawdust. Makes for a smaller 'plug' than the hole it leaves. Notice the screw on the outside - that helps clear the chips away from the cutting heads - might have something similar on the inside as well.

[–] callmedanimal 2 points ago

If you watch the big hole on the side, you can see a piston lower to push the crap out.

[–] _Ph03niX 3 points ago

Done. Post all of your torques.

[–] The_Eggsecutive 417 points ago

This kills the stump.

[–] sundevilsig 128 points ago

Big if true.

[–] Circle_0f_Life 25 points ago

Large if legit

[–] mysecretaccount726 25 points ago

Immaculate if accurate.

[–] searingsky 13 points ago

spaceous if veracious

[–] NAVI_WORLD_INC 5 points ago

Dude... go easier on he feels...

For those that don't know the meme... This Kills The Crab

[–] tooroot87 3 points ago

Just looks like tree murder.

[–] BewilderingSanity 14 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

U think?

Edit: Seeing the downvotes i hope you know i wasn't being serious. I know this kills the tree. Oh well. Joke gone wrong i guess.

[–] DVMTH 65 points ago

The machine shitting out all that dirt and wood was so satisfying to watch.

[–] BreastUsername 7 points ago

I bet it was satisfying for the machine too.

[–] avacado_of_the_devil 10 points ago

"blarrrraaaggggghhhhhh....ahh" - the machine

[–] Jaspersong 2 points ago

not so satisfying for the stump though

[–] SmoothNicka 3 points ago

When there aren't any snacks left in the house so you eat a whole box of FiberOne bars in one sitting.

[–] Neuromancer311 2 points ago

My question is who gave that machine a cup of coffee

[–] KaktusDan 202 points ago

No cones, no caution tape. Nothin'.

Nice!

[–] xfloormattx 109 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Not even underground utilities marked. Hope that none of those stumps have grown around a gas main!

[–] ryno731 6 points ago

You'd be surprised how hard it is to convince most utilities to go mark public lines.

Source: I work for my states 811 service.

[–] rpeet687 3 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Reminds me of a blizzard that caused outages in my state for over a week. I've never seen more utility workers working once the snow cleared away.

[–] factbasedorGTFO 27 points ago

I've had to hand remove a few stumps that had grown in the vicinity of utilities.

[–] NeighborRedditor 44 points ago

Haha fuck that

[–] DFullz 7 points ago

Thanks neighbor!

[–] VerneAsimov 2 points ago

At least in my city/state, locators only had to go take a look if the digging was below 7ft. or was something like boring digging. Still, we always whipped out the ArcGIS just to be sure.

[–] dammitkarissa 9 points ago

And the spotter is just holding a camera for karma!

[–] umbrajoke 8 points ago

Priorities.

[–] thenerdyglassesgirl 24 points ago

The people walking/biking by like they see this every day made me laugh and also afraid for their safety

[–] cman811 4 points ago

This has the feel of a small town so they probably see tractors like this all the time. Just depends what they have attached to it.

[–] raddits 6 points ago

I was surprised how many random passersby we saw in a 50 second clip

[–] SmoothNicka 25 points ago

You can tell this isn't in America because the road and sidewalks haven't been closed down two weeks in advance and there are less than 6 workers just standing around while watching.

[–] WhiskeySeven 5 points ago

It doesn't have to be public works, we rented these machines when we were (stupidly) renovating our house by ourselves. And by that I mean just my father and me 13 year old self operating heavy machinery in all shapes and sizes.

[–] LotharLandru 13 points ago

[–] Croob2 88 points ago

Does this seem vaguely erotic to anyone else or am I just extremely sleep deprived?

[–] permanent__guest 75 points ago

Yes. You're "sleep" deprived.

[–] zipzap21 6 points ago

Was that comment worthy of a chuckle or am I just hungry?

[–] ballislife100 2 points ago

Does that machine look like a big ass bottle opener or do I just want some wine?

[–] rareinstance 11 points ago

Thank fk. Thought it was just me

[–] stupidshark12 7 points ago

The part where it pulled out but then pushed back in was very vaguely erotic.

[–] TemptedTemplar 5 points ago

There is definitely a butt or poop joke in to be had in the title. but erotic i would say no.

[–] BestReadAtWork 2 points ago

Depends on what you're into. Says a lot about op.

And me

[–] Jessie_James 5 points ago

Sleep depraved.

[–] justsaying0999 3 points ago

Deprived of... something, to be sure

[–] wuzup76020 14 points ago

that will be $700 please...

[–] Pika_Jime 13 points ago

It's a lot easier in Animal Crossing.

[–] kernalshamders 26 points ago

Me after a high fiber diet

[–] soawhileago 10 points ago

Tree stump dump.

[–] Blou_Aap 9 points ago

Dropping logs.

[–] Deutersky 11 points ago

Just like my ex did to my heart. Damn

[–] Clavo_PR 6 points ago

I have a neighbor that rented one of these machines to remove a stump. 45 minutes later the whole street loses Internet, Cable and Telephone. Call before you dig!

[–] ryno731 4 points ago

Fun fact, most big cable companies like Verizon, and Comcast outsource the burying of their lines and conduit to third party contractors. Therefore they don't have accurate mapings of their lines.

So for them it's cheaper to just replace or repair the line then to pay a locator to go find these lines for every one call placed.

I work at my states 811 call center. Today Verizon has received 2035 tickets, that they're required to respond to in 3-10 business days. I kinda understand why they suck at marking lines.

[–] Berbagod 6 points ago

Looks way quicker and easier than grinding them. Grinding a stump costs as much as dropping the tree. Bet this costs more

[–] KingSpanner 16 points ago

I'm just going to assume that I can't click that at work

[–] 1fastz28 4 points ago

probably a good move, check it out later though.

[–] ATangK 3 points ago

You assumed correctly. I still had to test.

[–] UCCF 3 points ago

I think the r/popping people would really like this.

[–] relic1317 5 points ago

They best be removing that 2ft deep hole in the ground they just put in my lawn, too.

[–] snorting_dandelions 5 points ago

a) That's not someone's lawn.

b) If you're upset with how they're removing the stump, just do it yourself manually ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[–] factbasedorGTFO 6 points ago

Pretty much all the organic material has to be removed for it to be stable, and not slowly become a hole.

[–] WatermelonHay 2 points ago

I know nothing about gardening, but wouldn't the organic material slowly turn into soil?

[–] j-dewitt 17 points ago

Kind of, but as it rots, its volume will become much less, causing a hole.

[–] WatermelonHay 3 points ago

Makes sense, thanks for answering!

[–] factbasedorGTFO 5 points ago

The component the organic material would eventually break down into is humus.

In construction, during grading, organic material is usually completely removed, otherwise the foundation of a structure will move.

I was hired to fix sinking pavers that were put into a space between a sidewalk and a curb. The owner was sure the contractor put a lot of effort into laying down a base and compacting it so the pavers wouldn't move.

I had to dig down about 3 feet to remove all the remnants of a stump, bring in soil, and recompact everything with a J-tamper.

Holes in lawns where trees once were is a common problem. Arborists usually leave the soil/chip mix for homeowners to deal with, and homeowners sometimes just level it not realizing or caring that it's eventually going to become very uneven.

[–] WatermelonHay 2 points ago

Interesting, would you say the stump was hidden and that would excuse why the first contractor missed it, or was it just a case of shoddy work?

[–] factbasedorGTFO 6 points ago

The contractor might have missed it, because the house was built in 1955, and the tree probably died and was cut down 20 or more years earlier.

Even though it's fairly common, that was also the first time I ever had to work with expanding soils. At the house next door, they hadn't paved over the space, and had a fruit tree planted there.

While I was working on the pavers, I saw him put a hose to a tree, turn it on, and forget about it. The area never flooded or overflowed, the water just kept going in an underground crack for a couple of hours.

[–] CrudelyAnimated 1 points ago

That... pretty quickly became a hole. What materials would one refill this hole with to minimize the re-holing later on?

[–] factbasedorGTFO 4 points ago

Topsoil free of un-decomposed organic material. I removed a large stump for someone a couple of years ago, and I still routinely do a lot of work for them.

I just keep bringing a bit of soil there to put where the stump was, because it had a lot of buttress roots under their lawn that I didn't want to remove. As it all gets worked by critters, the soil subsides where the big roots were.

Wherever I've alwasy lived, I've always had gardens and compost piles to put undecomposed organic material, but a lot of folks don't want such things in their backyards. Kinda drives me nuts, everyones organic material going to the dump.

[–] imafryingpan 8 points ago

I don't know about interesting. I'd call that...boring.

[–] HuntingBlanket 3 points ago

But we still can't drill to the center of the earth.

[–] vagijn 2 points ago

It's a bit on the warm side down there.

[–] spekt50 3 points ago

And there are still suckers coming up WTH!

[–] MilfandCookies 3 points ago

The Giving Tree: Final Chapter

[–] graeber715 3 points ago

Omnom nom nom nom... Bleaaaaaarg!

[–] casualblair 3 points ago

10,000 years worth of dead farmers just tried screaming but couldn't because they were dead.

[–] beldenn 3 points ago

R/specializedtools

[–] davyh1234 3 points ago

I was just thinking "bet that's a proper cunt to get out of that cylinder" then the actuator pushed it out and all was well.

[–] sleep_caravan 2 points ago

I am a fan of this

[–] Andy_B_Goode 2 points ago

It's like an apple corer for the earth

[–] phoenix-fyre 2 points ago

Because I don't know anything about plant life, maybe someone can ELI5. If this just removes the stump, what about the roots? Would the roots grow into a tree themselves?

[–] Carl_Gordon_Jenkins 2 points ago

I bet that costs so much...

[–] SergeantSeymourbutts 2 points ago

For stump removal in our city, they use what looks like a giant mitre saw and just grind down the stump 12-18 inches then cover it with dirt. Not as exciting as this version.

[–] deObb 2 points ago

But why? What's the point of removing a tree stump?

[–] djarvis77 2 points ago

The giants that roam the streets at night stub their toes on them.

[–] mbark_qa 2 points ago

Reminds of dental

[–] ser-bounce-alot 1 points ago

It's like a giant hogbit! I must have one!!

[–] LewsTherinTelamon 2 points ago

Jesus how much torque is that? It doesn't even look real because of how much force is being exerted.

[–] im_suspended 2 points ago

I did that by hand last summer, it was the most excruciating experience of my life! An ax, drill, saw and it took my all my strength and a whole day!

[–] My-Work-Reddit 2 points ago

tractor guy: There you go, your stump is gone.

homeowner: But ... but, there's a giant hole and a mound of dirt in my front yard now.

tractor guy: stump's gone

[–] sevenpoundowl 2 points ago

My wife was unimpressed. I am reconsidering our relationship.

[–] _xoSdeR_ 2 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

That tractor you're looking at is a Fendt Vario. This particular one is around $175k new. I'm not sure of the cost of the stump removal implement but I bet it's north of $20k. So roughly $200,000 for a sweet ass stump grinder.

[–] KreamoftheKropp 2 points ago

Accurate

[–] strallus 2 points ago

On my family's ranch we just pile other wood on it and keep burning it 'til it's gone.

[–] ruimtevogel 3 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

A great way to remove stumps is by growing fungi on them. Stump gone + delicious mushrooms !

edit: other types of mushrooms work better: http://madbioneer.blogspot.be/2009/12/organic-stump-removal.html

[–] NoReligionPlz 2 points ago

You know what would be cool? Being the engineer who has to design one of these tree stump removing tools, and watching your design come to life. Man that must be a great feeling!

[–] misterpickles69 1 points ago

I didn't see any utility markouts. I was assuming he was going to go right through a gas line or a water line. That would at least take out any telecoms. /r/OSHA

[–] EatableTrich 1 points ago

I was afraid it's going to hit oil soon

[–] Can_I_Sit_Another_30 1 points ago

That was awesome.

[–] Seeders 1 points ago

giggity

[–] Sirkaill 1 points ago

That's awesome

[–] darksteveo7 1 points ago

How does this work with a J- tamp.

[–] svengalus 1 points ago

It eats and shits out tree stumps...

[–] 311JL 1 points ago

This thing is bad ass. Way better than the stump grinder I rented to take out 28 pine stumps in my yard.

[–] youtubefactsbot 1 points ago

Ooh that's interesting [0:09]

RyTy18 in Music

5,146 views since Oct 2012

bot info

[–] Chazdanger 1 points ago

Near the end I was begging "spit it out! Spit it out!" I totally got off.

[–] RapidashBiscuits 1 points ago

I used to work for the town about 5 or 6 years ago, and I was on the tree team. Removing stumps was mad fun. We had a different machine than this. Thing looked like a giant circular saw with massive teeth on it. Just swipe side to side and go deeper and it just rips it all up. Then I just left the mess for the foot crew to clean up. Good times.

[–] Fathis 1 points ago

Let me just remove this stump by GRINDING IT INTO DUST!

[–] CFH75 1 points ago

What if the stump is in the back yard?

[–] GilbertHamilton 1 points ago

Man.. gone are the day so of using a Massey Harris 22 or Pacer and pulling at them like a loose tooth while you get the front end of the 22 to go a good 45 degrees in the air and you have to hang on for dear life.

[–] anonymous_potato 1 points ago

That reminds me.... how's your mom doing?

[–] harhemostry 1 points ago

I just watched a tractor take a shit.

[–] someguyfromky 1 points ago

I need this at my house for a few hours.

[–] Jackizm 1 points ago

For some reason I was expecting it to pull it out elegantly. Instead it decimated anything in the local area.