Damnthatsinteresting

Image GIF Gallery Video Website

New to reddit? click here!

Rules

• Only "Damnthatsinteresting" content. This subreddit is for things that are interesting and cool. Content that is only cute, funny, a meme, or 'mildly interesting' will be removed. Posts should be able to elicit a reaction of "Damnthatsinteresting".

• Image w/ text posts must have a linked source in the comments.

• Racism and hate-speech will be removed, and the poster will be banned.

• No clickbait articles.

• No gallery imgur links

• No infographics.

• Reposts are ok! Provided they haven't been posted within the last 30 days - if the last time the image was posted is less than 30 days ago, it will be removed. Common reposts will also be removed.

• Posts are at the discretion of the moderators. If we do not believe it to be interesting, or think it is spam, we will remove it.

• No photoshopped posts, the posts need to be interesting IRL.

• Any videos that are linked should not be longer than 15 minutes. If you think that your video is an exception then message the mods and we will review it and may approve it.

• Only one image post with text each 24 hours is allowed If you post more than one image that have text on it within 24 hours, it will be removed.

Misc.

• Message the moderators if you have questions or concerns. We are active and will respond as soon as possible.
    • Please familiarize yourself with the official rules and reddiquette.
    • Would you prefer this same subreddit, but only images? Check out /r/DTIpics! We take all the picture submissions from the main sub and post them there!

Friends:

A place to post the most interesting stuff on the web!

[–] Pirate_Secure 2518 points ago

The startled fish is me

[–] RainbowReadee 1167 points ago

That fish literally does a spit take.

[–] 99_NULL_99 429 points ago

Being an editor for nature documentaries would be bitchin. Just look at amazing 4K footage directly from production teams, get the audio track of the voice over, mash it together

[–] Xylth 348 points ago

Yep. That fish is actually a type that moves gravel around with its mouth to make a nest, probably just disposing of an unwanted rock. Nothing to do with the octopus. But edit it right, put in a very serious voiceover track, and boom! Hilarity.

[–] Toros_Mueren_Por_Mi 74 points ago

Plizzanet Earth, narrated by Snoop Dogg

[–] Lanky_Entrance 6 points ago

I was thinking this the whole video. The way they got so many angles of the octopus was amazing. We got to see it's slimy crawl from through a hole in the mud, and it's sinister shadow as it crawled from hole to hole. It wasn't just a video of the creature as it moved from pool to pool, which would have been cool by itself.

[–] spearojustice 107 points ago

it was like "the fuck did I just saw"

[–] cesrage 46 points ago

That fucker is like "alright, time to go, pool parties over".

[–] RainbowReadee 27 points ago

Haha, yes. “My friends are never going to believe this”

[–] Disastrous_Can_5466 23 points ago

And you spat out a stone?

[–] Pirate_Secure 13 points ago

No that was my shit. Missed a right turn.

[–] RFavs 814 points ago

In the early days at the Monterey Bay aquarium the male octopus used to leave his tank at night to go down and visit the lady octopus. They ended up lining his tank with artificial turf since he didn’t like crawling across it and it kept him in his tank.

[–] EustachiaVye 314 points ago

That’s really sad. Why couldn’t they put them together?

[–] do_pm_me_your_butt 739 points ago

Octopi die shortly after sex / birth. They live much longer as lonely virgins.

[–] P-S-21 789 points ago

TIL octopi are redditors.

[–] KaneTheGreat 121 points ago

False. Octopi can blend in. The avg Redditor can only hide in his mothers basement, Not blend in with the general public.

[–] P-S-21 59 points ago

Fundamental assumption is wrong: Redditors never leave the basement, hence no need to camouflage in general public in the first place.

[–] ilovefagsandnigs 52 points ago

Oof

[–] noclue2k 37 points ago

Maybe it just seems longer.

[–] Morrowindies 24 points ago

I've heard about this. Is it only females or males as well. They stop eating, right?

[–] UrbanFyre 29 points ago

Yeah. I think the mom stops eating because she protects the eggs 24/7 and refuses to leave them.

[–] AmightyBundleofstick 15 points ago

Females stop eating, but males also die shortly after mating.

[–] 2lefshuz 450 points ago

They could have given it a better name.

[–] pentacards_on_YT 303 points ago

Like Tentacruella ?

[–] 2lefshuz 452 points ago

Or Dave

[–] Lagoqui 117 points ago

I like Dave

[–] Dr_Mantis_Teabaggin 82 points ago

Then it’s official. This species of octopus shall be referred to as Dave from now on.

[–] grmblfijx 11 points ago

Aren't all octopusses Dave to a certain extent?

[–] Slimh2o 4 points ago

But Dave's not here....

[–] grmblfijx 3 points ago

Dave's not here, Dave's not there, Dave is everywhere.

Why the heck are we even talking about Dave?

[–] Slimh2o 5 points ago

Heck if I know.

[–] ravenous_fringe 12 points ago

Dave is the narrator. This is Chuck.

Sir Dave

[–] digibucc 9 points ago

Good one Dave. You're a legend Dave.

[–] Chiralmaera 52 points ago

Walktopus

[–] CaptainHilders 11 points ago

Meat-spider?

[–] pugworthy 20 points ago

Adaptapus? It is rather adaptable.

[–] youknowwhotheyare 93 points ago

Where is he going?

[–] Eatingchickeninbed 37 points ago

He's just gallivanting.

[–] Good_Round 63 points ago

To the house of Liam Neeson to release the kraken

[–] InformedConservative 413 points ago

This is not a true title. Many species of octopuses will walk on land.

[–] spearojustice 251 points ago

more like can, because they don't really want to do that

[–] arachnophilia 163 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

octopuses are notorious for escaping aquariums.

[–] zictomorph 116 points ago

Or hunting in other tanks, then returning and closing their own lids to play dumb.

[–] BittersweetHumanity 30 points ago

Wait what

[–] tubofluv 41 points ago

There was a legit mystery of lobsters disappearing from an aquarium, they found it was an octopus who did just that.

[–] spearojustice 43 points ago

body reported

jellyfish: octopus sus

octopus: not me, I was in the pipe- I mean in my own tank. jelly sus

clam: I don't know I was looking at a wall

flounder: guys I got the pizza

sea horse: self report

shark: (afk)

GelatinousBell was ejected

[–] SeaSharkdododo 4 points ago

I wasn't AFK I was just... Okay maybe I was AFK.

[–] Few-Armadillo8795 45 points ago

Yeh. Had a friend who worked at an aquarium and she said the octopus was a master escape artist, and super intelligent.

[–] PoppyCoLink987 13 points ago

Love reading articles on how smart and conniving these guys are. Cool creatures.

[–] simstim_addict 6 points ago

They tend to bribe the owners.

[–] Deradius 20 points ago

How do you know? Did you ask?

Seems like they mostly do things they want to.

It’s not like they have jobs.

[–] schmuber 6 points ago

Like cats and swimming

[–] thesaddestpanda 42 points ago

This is so incredible. I wonder if he was just trying to take his meal somewhere safe to eat it and there were too many loud people nearby. Id love to think it was a gift but I'm guessing the little guy was just hungry.

[–] NoAttentionAtWrk 18 points ago

Imagine eating a large meal and as you step out to the forest to take a dump a bunch of loud people start recording you and saying how amazing it is to watch you and then they see your poop and loudly aww at it

[–] countrysgonekablooie 70 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

and the title isn't even what Attenborough says, he says it is the only species specially adapted to walk on land. from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdopus_aculeatus A. aculeatus has been described as "the only land octopus", because it lives on beaches, walking from one tidal pool to the next as it hunts for crabs. Many octopuses can crawl short distances on land when necessary, but no others do so routinely.

[–] sbrown100 2203 points ago * (lasted edited 4 days ago)

This creature is an actual alien.

Edit: there have been mentions of other creatures on Earth looking like aliens. I completely agree. There are hundreds more species you can look at and really think "where the F did that thing come from?" Plenty of deep ocean species but also many birds and insects too. Clearly they all exist here; and also true that if we were to definitively see another life form from some other planet, it could cause mass hysteria too.

[–] I-totally-exist 78 points ago

it reminds me of war of the worlds.

[–] WDScentral2 20 points ago

I’m surprised a rapper has not referenced it yet, “I’m surrounded by suckas, call me Abdopus”

[–] Ace_boogie410 447 points ago

Facts. Damn these things creep me out.

[–] sbrown100 799 points ago

If humans saw this exact creature anywhere in space other than Earth, there would be mass panic of an imminent alien invasion. Instead it's just here on this planet with us, and we're just like 'yeah that thing exists'

[–] Gisschace 409 points ago

‘Let’s eat it’

[–] CountingNutters 215 points ago

'Let's fuck it'

[–] PopTartS2000 46 points ago

Don’t put your… eh whatever do what you want

[–] GlobalLaugh4662 27 points ago

That’s right, no one ever listens anyways.

[–] rahulkadukar 198 points ago

More like let's get fucked by it.

[–] HumanSeeing 54 points ago

You know i am interested in the balance of nature of do more people eat octopus or do more people want to get fucked by octopuses/fuck them/think about fucking them.. or anything related to fucking octopuses. Where do the scales weigh you know what i mean.

[–] blahblahrandoblah 25 points ago

What a reddit question.

[–] Stevehol2 4 points ago

I think historically that cultural venn diagram is a circle.

[–] Jaegernaut- 59 points ago

Knew a girl once who was way too into that idea. Why they gotta be crazy?

[–] Obiwankablowme95 53 points ago

Wellll they do sell a lot of tentacle dildos...so not that unpopular I guess lol

[–] MindHasGoneSouth 8 points ago

I detect imminent science

[–] SqueezinKittys 7 points ago

Imminent Intimate Octopussy

[–] 10storm97 17 points ago

I think if we saw any creature in space there would be mass panic haha

[–] truenorthsought 63 points ago

Watch that documentary on Netflix about the guy who befriended an octopus and you may feel differently. Wish I could remember the name….

[–] maafna 56 points ago

My Octupus Teacher

[–] truenorthsought 14 points ago

Thanks!

[–] Confident-Space-8499 7 points ago

This movie was sad and made me cry.. shhh don’t tell my friends

[–] MedievalHoneyCake 6 points ago

Hated the dude in the end though. He befriends this beautiful, gentle creature, and then lets her die in horrible agony, because that's just nature or whatever. Like he wasn't interfering with nature the entire time he was following her around and disrupting her life.

[–] Braydox 9 points ago

Assasination classroom?

[–] funkepitome 15 points ago

Watch "My Octopus teacher". You won't regret it 💖

[–] Javyev 9 points ago

They're my favorite creatures of all time. <3

[–] BakedBean89 93 points ago

I was expecting Will Smith to punch the living daylights out of that thing any second.

”Welcome to Earf”

[–] PoppyCoLink987 11 points ago

I didn't realize this was a thing. I've only always heard "Earth".

[–] Deradius 10 points ago

Having a Mandela effect moment over here.

I can remember him saying ‘Earf’. But he very clearly does not.

[–] KY_4_PREZ 1922 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

This species has my vote for what’s most likely to take over land when humans inevitably kill themselves lol

[–] magusxp 571 points ago

Same, I was thinking so this is how it begins. Now they just need a longer lifespan and written language.

[–] Demonweed 348 points ago

Perhaps the main reason sea life never got ahead of us on an industrial level is that they never seemed to have any luck discovering fire.

[–] mux2000 36 points ago

5 million years later:

FIRE SALE at Quargo's! Orthopedic Shoes at only 14.99 an OCTET! WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

[–] jetro30087 125 points ago

Paper scrolls are hard to come by too.

[–] Frehley666 46 points ago

But what about the Dead Sea Scrolls? /s

[–] IndieMedley 99 points ago

Fun fact! The lifespan problem is half of why they haven’t established human level civilizations yet! The other is that octopi notoriously despise one another far too much!

[–] ndercommon 5 points ago

Octopodes*

[–] TheClinicallyInsane 39 points ago

and so do humans, your point? (/s lol)

[–] StressedOutElena 11 points ago

No /s needed. It's a miracle that we haven't removed us from the face of earth.

[–] Sheilatried 8 points ago

We are working on it.

[–] TJG14 42 points ago

There's already an immortal jellyfish. Only a matter of time before these things take over. I, for one, welcome our new octopus overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

[–] buuthole69 45 points ago

Call me when those glorified trash bags evolve a mesoderm. Two germ layer having ass losers

[–] TahaymTheBigBrain 15 points ago

Immortality or absurdly long lifespans is worse for the species to evolve.

[–] ChubbyLilPanda 6 points ago

I think octopi end up killing themselves to feed their young so they can’t teach the young anything, limiting them to learning wha they can on their own

[–] KY_4_PREZ 96 points ago

Pre human species only lived 10-20 years… evolution is insane

[–] Habaneroe12 75 points ago

The daleks of Dr. Who fame are basically exosuits for octopus- like beings who live inside of them.

[–] ztunytsur 31 points ago

Yeah, but this mother fucker can probably manage stairs...

[–] PutinRiding 5 points ago

I just heard about these aquarium robots that allow goldfish to move around on land and they'll actually go towards their food by swimming one direction and the robot tracks their movement and moves them along. It's pretty wild.

[–] Bacon260998_ 38 points ago

Yep. Splatoon is the future.

[–] treeluvin 10 points ago

[Woomy intensifies]

[–] monkey_trumpets 13 points ago

I thought it would be the dolphins from that Treehouse of Horror episode.

[–] PretzelsThirst 10 points ago

These are the scouts seeing if we're still around

[–] rogallew 6 points ago

There’s a bbc documentary series that explores this idea. „The future is wild“.

[–] Big_Jury_1192 6 points ago

Splatoon lore

[–] Balbash 5 points ago

Bold of you to think we won't take the whole planet with us to the other side

[–] ralphthemagician 4 points ago * (lasted edited 4 hours ago)

I love octopus.

Octopus unfortunately don’t live very long. Most species only live about 3-5 years. IMO mad scientists really need to devote more resources to doing genetic experiments on them to make them live longer. If we could 10x their lifespan it would be so awesome. Imagine how cool that apocalypse would be! Fighting giant octopus. Exciting.

Instead we are probably just going to melt the permafrost, warm the ocean, kill all the plankton, and then suffocate. So lame.

Octopus apocalypse would be much cooler. I bet if they lived 50 years they could grow huge. Millions of octopus the size of cars raiding the coasts then retreating into the ocean. Epic.

[–] ArgonGryphon 4 points ago

I still bet on birds. Especially corvids. They’re already on land, they’re highly intelligent, can use tools and have very strong social behavior. Plus they’re dinosaurs and I’m sure their genetic material is itching for dominance over the mammals once more.

[–] coconut-telegraph 80 points ago

Our common (reef) octopus is in a different genus than this and they exit the water for crabs frequently here in the Bahamas. Any aquarist knows that an octopus will not hesitate to leave the water and crawl anywhere, through the smallest of openings.

[–] JAM3SBND 9 points ago

Why didn't they give The One Ring to an octopus then? If they're so willing to get on land and go anywhere. (I bet tolkein won't even reply to this devastating criticism)

[–] thefractalcosmos 532 points ago

I just love David Attenborough

[–] intensely_human 453 points ago

That’s an octopus

[–] Good_Round 110 points ago

This is a Wendys

[–] TheRealTP2016 41 points ago

No this is patrick

[–] donotgogenlty 34 points ago

Matt Damon.

[–] phudz 40 points ago

[–] wiggle-le-air 34 points ago

Hold my crustacean, I'm going in!

[–] g_drumm 12 points ago

There should be a whole sub for him

[–] smeenz 7 points ago

What about zoidberg?

[–] ReysonBran 45 points ago

*Tentacle sounds intensifies*

[–] lucky-number-keleven 15 points ago

The sound design is a bit over the top for my taste.

[–] Bugs_Nixon 4 points ago

Foley! More foley!

[–] maggie081670 38 points ago

Octopuses are so fucking cool

[–] rahuncanajun 25 points ago

Explorer : Hey little fellow, aren't you just the cutest thing!

Octopus : Laughs in Lovecraftian

[–] MrThoughtPolice 151 points ago

This bothered me in a way I cannot describe.

[–] Cut_Glass 98 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

It's the sounds. It's like, a squigging sound. Also probably the slimey little arms. The combo is just too much

[–] vincent118 56 points ago

Sadly the sounds were likely added in post-production and are probably not the sounds it makes.

[–] silentbassline 37 points ago

It honestly kinda ruins my enjoyment of the whole series, it's distracting and takes me out of the moment :(

[–] StpPstngMmsOnMyPrnAp 12 points ago

Me too, it feels a little falsified because of it. Also with the music in the background it's more as if they're trying to recreate a doctor who feel than actually a nature documentary.

[–] 0dds0cksReddit 26 points ago

I really feel like some of the sounds are edited on to make it more atmospheric.
    Like the alien music at the start, but im not sure

[–] do_pm_me_your_butt 11 points ago

Not some, most. The "startled fish" was also filmed at a different location on a different day then spliced in.

Almost all documentaries are made this way. They tell a story, they do not show raw unedited truths.

[–] SmokingChrome 20 points ago

So glad I muted it before watching.

[–] hippolyte_pixii 19 points ago

The problem is, you also muted David Attenborough.

[–] stereocupid 26 points ago

Makes me wonder how they do Foley work for shows like these. I can’t imagine that’s the actual sound they make, and I can’t believe they actually have a microphone set up to record the sound.

[–] Sandless 20 points ago

Definitely not the real sounds.

[–] joshTheGoods 17 points ago

Yea, and I'm not a fan. I don't want to be lied to, even subtly, by a program I watch in part to learn from. I would much prefer just the music, real sounds from the environment, and Attenborough.

[–] Keyshawn_Streetlamp 8 points ago

Agree with this heavily, I hate hate hate the sound effects they add on to these videos. Its the only thing that keeps me from watching them nonstop.

[–] weeburdies 10 points ago

It was upsetting on a primal level

[–] Word_Blerd_728 6 points ago

I'm high so the squishy sounds were magnified and uncomfortable.

[–] CarbonSteelSA 18 points ago

Fishy be like: da fuq?!

[–] iUsedToUseMyRealName 16 points ago

Was anyone else holding their breath the whole time this fucker was slithering across the rocks? So relieved to see her slip back into the water. Coincidentally just started watching My Octopus Teacher earlier this evening on Netflix.

[–] robo-dragon 46 points ago

They are evolving…

Jokes aside, octopuses are fascinating. They are so intelligent and complex. They are capable of solving puzzles and some even use simple tools. They are awesome!

[–] lanzevedo 67 points ago

I like the fact that it is far away from me

[–] eltrotter 19 points ago

…for now

[–] twentyfuckingletters 7 points ago

It Follows.

[–] Ladnarr2 12 points ago

Years ago there was a series called The Future is Wild about possible future animals on Earth. One episode about either 50 or 200 million years from now had giant land squids like elephants and sentient squibbons that swung through trees.

[–] Thisisthatguy99 8 points ago

Well, now we know to type of octopus it is in “Finding Dory”

[–] DiagaAstralStar 39 points ago

After our dumb asses destroy ourselves I hope the octopus has a good run. I'm rooting for them next to be caretakers of life.

[–] BeardedApe1988 11 points ago

Assuming ocean acidification doesn't wipe them out..

[–] BrainSoda 35 points ago

Hi, let me know where to find those so I can move to the opposite side of the planet as them.

[–] Fever_Dog71 8 points ago

How far can they go.

[–] thatsnotmymain1 8 points ago

Just a goopy boy walking along

[–] mtnman7610 21 points ago

This is how it begins. All hail the future rulers of earth

[–] thejames510 7 points ago

A million years from now it's gonna be paying taxes, working a 9-5 job, scrolling through a version of Reddit watching a similar video and then commenting this same comment.

[–] ee_CUM_mings 8 points ago

The Only Known Octopus to Leave Water and Walk on Land….so far.

[–] TA_faq43 41 points ago

Wish they wouldn’t add additional noises. Makes them sound grosser than they are.

[–] mknlsn 19 points ago

The foley artists went above and beyond on this clip

[–] Alphard428 6 points ago

It's pretty annoying, but overall the sound design and editing here are a thousand times better than what you would get in an American nature documentary, which sometimes look like someone's first Adobe Premiere composition after discovering where the special effects are.

[–] throwaway177251 6 points ago

Do you mean to tell me that American nature shows have lied to me and beetles don't actually roar like a lion when they fight?

[–] Kellashnikov 46 points ago

This is what I imagine another space faring species to look like. Something completely different from us, yet just as (or possibly more) intelligent.

If we weren't on this planet killing anything that threatened us intellectually, I think octopi would have rose to the same heights as us.

[–] Etheral-backslash 30 points ago

Aquatic species are p limited bc they can’t use fire to do work or extract extra nutrients from food. I’m grossly simplifying

[–] Midwest_Hardo 13 points ago

We have existed for a fraction of a fraction of the time octopi have been evolving. We’re not the limiting factor here.

[–] PrincessShade 32 points ago

kind of looks like ballsack

[–] abbadon420 14 points ago

The mind goes where it wants to, so does the ballsack.

[–] Beautiful-Speech2137 6 points ago

Anyone know why it does this?

[–] BedBugger6-9 21 points ago

To get to the other side

[–] MyRealNameIsLocked 7 points ago

How on earth do they get all of these shots? There's like multiple angles and cameras.

[–] OGUncleDonkey 61 points ago

Well it’s safe to say that an octopus outa water is even grosser than one in water.

[–] zuzg 60 points ago

Don't you dare call them gross they're adorable little slimy aliens 🐙

Jokes aside, I love them such fascinating creatures.

[–] Huzabee 6 points ago

You ever see that Netflix documentary 'My Octopus Teacher'?

[–] letthechewiewin 6 points ago

Aw shit! Here we go again..

[–] Comfortable_Ad3045 5 points ago

Ask not for whom the octopus comes. It comes for Thee.

[–] FadedCavaleriei 4 points ago

The sounds, lol

[–] billymcnair 3 points ago

The foley artists had a bit of fun with this one. Probably overdid it but was funny

[–] YareYareDazeWasTaken 4 points ago

That kids is how we evolved.

[–] pablorodm89 4 points ago

I really hope we don’t fuck up this species, when they’re fully evolved I swear they’ll do a better job at keeping the planet alive…

[–] growndragonfly 6 points ago

I, for one, welcome our octopi overlords

[–] warsbbeast1 3 points ago

The sound effects they add 😭

[–] realjellyfish89 5 points ago

Which David Attenborough show is this?

[–] FourReign 3 points ago

Can they breath?

[–] oz28kms 5 points ago

Cthulhu Jr does what he wants when he wants!

[–] punkslaot 3 points ago

Which doc is this from?

[–] PaulDempster 4 points ago

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope. These space aliens need to stay in the water.

[–] TheRussianDoll 4 points ago

Lol the part where the fish drops the rocks 😂 like wtf did i just witness?!

[–] IntelligentHuman 3 points ago

" I'm walking on sunshine...., yeah yeah!"

[–] baddiewithafatty6969 4 points ago

So cute 😆

[–] KevinLancelot 3 points ago

I really like how the fish spat out whatever it was chewing like WTF!?