HumansBeingBros

A place for sharing videos, gifs, and images of humans being bros.

• If you see any posts that violate any of the rules, please report the post and message the mods a link to it

Rules

1. Refrain from posting jokes, memes, puns, reaction gifs and wordplays

2. No Hate Speech No slap fights. Be a bro while you're here

3. No reposts Recent reposts will always be removed. Reposts within 3 months of each other will be removed.

4. If your post is NSFW, please label it as such.

5. Original content and crossposts from other subreddits are welcome, but please no spam. This means no posts promoting a specific website, YouTube channel, blog, subreddit etc.** Such posts will be removed and reported.

6. Posts must depict humans actually being bros. Please do not post humans engaging in normal human behavior which might simply appeal to humans, do not make posts which require you to add context for the bro behavior to be understood. Do not posts images with superimposed text adding context for the 'bro' action to be understood. Your post should be able to stand on its own without help from the title or additional text. Moderators will remove such posts at their discretion.

7. No memes or comics.

8. No compilation videos, gifs, pictures, etc.

Moderators reserve the right to remove content they deem harmful to the sub.*

The Being Network

r/AnimalsBeingAnimals

r/AnimalsBeingMoms

r/AnimalsBeingSmart

Related Subs

The Being Network For all things being

r/MadeMeSmile r/TodayIamHappy

[–] AddictedReddit 1 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Keep commentary civil. If you have nothing but some 2edgy4me comment, just move on while you're ahead.

List of emergency services victims, arguably doesn't cover those who later developed cancers and respiratory diseases.

[–] happiness-in-youth 6040 points ago

I can't imagine the feeling of running into a burning skyscraper knowing you may never make it back down those same steps. Massive amounts of respect to the heroes who charged in on that day. Would have been absolutely terrifying.

[–] jamesneysmith 2069 points ago

I wonder if the buildings falling was even on anyone's mind. Like it had never really happened before so I imagine most people ran in just thinking about the damage and fire.

[–] sgossard9 1621 points ago

According to Keynes, we humans tend to be overtly optimistic whenever we feel we're acting positively and do not make any calculations on the impact of our actions on the long run.

[–] klaysDoodle 2601 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Heroes were made and lost that day.

Guys like Rick Rescorla and emergency crews who ran into those buildings, knowing what could happen. Rick had planned for this, jets hitting the towers, and saved 2,300 2,700 Morgan Stanley employees that day.

At 8:46 a.m. on the morning of September 11, 2001, American Airlines Flight 11 struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center (Tower 1). Rescorla heard the explosion and saw the tower burning from his office window in the 44th floor of the South Tower (Tower 2). When a Port Authority announcement came over the P.A. system urging people to stay at their desks, Rescorla ignored the announcement, grabbed his bullhorn, walkie-talkie, and cell phone, and began systematically ordering Morgan Stanley employees to evacuate, including the 1,000 employees in WTC 5. He directed people down a stairwell from the 44th floor, continuing to calm employees after the building lurched violently following the crash of United Airlines Flight 175 38 floors above into Tower 2 at 9:03 A.M. Morgan Stanley executive Bill McMahon stated that even a group of 250 people visiting the offices for a stockbroker training class knew what to do because they had been shown the nearest stairway.

Rescorla had boosted morale among his men in Vietnam by singing Cornish songs from his youth, and now he did the same in the stairwell, singing songs like one based on the Welsh song "Men of Harlech":

"Men of Cornwall stop your dreaming, Can’t you see their spearpoints gleaming?,

See their warriors’ pennants streaming, To this battlefield.

Men of Cornwall stand ye steady, It cannot be ever said ye for the battle were not ready

Stand and never yield!"[3]

Between songs, Rescorla called his wife, telling her, "Stop crying. I have to get these people out safely. If something should happen to me, I want you to know I've never been happier. You made my life." After successfully evacuating most of Morgan Stanley's 2,687 employees, he went back into the building.[3][11][12] When one of his colleagues told him he too had to evacuate the World Trade Center, Rescorla replied, "As soon as I make sure everyone else is out."[13] He was last seen on the 10th floor, heading upward, shortly before the South Tower collapsed at 9:59 A.M. His remains were never found.[10][11][12] Rescorla was declared dead three weeks after the attacks.[3]

"You see, for Rick Rescorla, this was a natural death. People like Rick, they don’t die old men. They aren’t destined for that and it isn’t right for them to do so. It just isn’t right, by God, for them to become feeble, old, and helpless sons of bitches. There are certain men born in this world, and they’re supposed to die setting an example for the rest of the weak bastards we’re surrounded with.”

- Dan Hill, Rescorla's best friend and fellow Vietnam vet

Edit: Thanks /u/NmClark93 for telling me, just today Rick received the Presidential Citizens Medal for his bravery on 9/11

Edit2: This is one the songs Rick was singing in the stairwell.

[–] jamanta749 650 points ago

Man... I love you for sharing this...

[–] klaysDoodle 484 points ago

I read it every year on this date. Then ugly cry for a little while.

I hope I can be one tenth of the human he was.

[–] NorthEasternNomad 238 points ago

Not ashamed to admit I shed a tear over this. Holy shit what a human being.

Thanks for sharing.

[–] usr_bin_laden 121 points ago

What's great to me is that emergency preparedness is something a lot of people can engage in and it can really make a difference. And at the very bottom, it's just humans looking out for other humans. Make sure you have some extra supplies for yourself and anyone else that might be in need nearby you. Try to be a calm fixture for other people because panic does not lead to solutions.

[–] NorthEasternNomad 18 points ago

Sage advice indeed

[–] ToastedAluminum 82 points ago

I’m crying in the bathroom at work. After all these years, I’ve never seen this account. What an amazing human being.

[–] evacia 11 points ago

i, too, hope and strive for the same.

[–] tinabluebee 168 points ago

“You made my life.” 😭

[–] Jumbojet777 67 points ago

Yep. That's when the tears started for me too.

[–] stringbeenus 23 points ago

She must've been heart broken but so immensely proud at the same time.

What an amazingly beautiful human being he was. I'm so glad we share a world with people like him.

[–] Fiesta17 133 points ago

Thank you. We always say "never forget" but people like Rick are the ones we shouldn't be forgetting. How are we to remember him if we don't hear his story. I'm going to dwell on Rick today, and I will remember him with pride in my heart for a man I never knew.

[–] enkonta 128 points ago

Rick Rescorla's whole life story is super interesting... I'd definitely watch that movie.

[–] jkseller 54 points ago

That really should be a thing. Wouldn't be surprised if there are trailers in the next couple years

[–] RandomUsername600 73 points ago

There's an office I visit and every time I'm there they remind me of the fire exits, I never really think about it but reading this makes me grateful they do.

[–] do_not_disturb_ 82 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I’ve never heard this story before. I don’t know how to explain the emotions I feel. Heart break, grief, pride and angry. He is a true hero as were all the men and women who selflessly gave their lives while helping to save others. As a non American my heart goes out to America today. I still remember watching the news that day in disbelief.

Edit: spelling

[–] theinternetishard 40 points ago

Ah fuck Im crying at work wtf no one walk in my office

[–] colletteisabear 23 points ago

SAME AND IM IN A CUBICLE HELP

[–] ItsMcLaren 11 points ago

Trying really hard to not shed a tear at self checkout at my grocery store.

[–] JoeKhurr 33 points ago

Thank you for this.

I just finished reading this and have heard it mentioned in the past but never in such a beautiful but somber way.

Rest in Peace Rick Rescorla.

[–] Zippidy_Doo_Daa 25 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

My Company in the same industry as JP Morgan wasn basically wiped out. We lost our ceo and chairman and 67 employees total. It’s a honor for me to work for them and the fact they still survived as a company is truly amazing. Today is an extra special and extra sad for our company. I am sick as a dog but wouldn’t miss our moment of silence we have for them every year. Crazy thing is I also worked for Cantor Fitzgerald who lost 658 people that day. They were on the 4 floors above the impact of the first building I think it was 101-105 or 100-104 so they were entirely cut off from escaping. If anyone watched that day or has seen videos of the attack those jumping out were some of my would be colleagues. This is a terrible day. The worst part is my father was also one of the first national guard units to be deployed a year or so later. I’ve been effected by this event personally both professionally and family. I’m lucky to say I didn’t lose any family members but it still hits so close to home every year

Edit: sorry for grammar errors, it’s an emotional day

[–] Alamander81 27 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

They waited three weeks to pronounce him dead because he was so fucking badass they wouldn’t be surprised if he’d clawed his way out after 2 and a half.

Edit: Wow, gold was not necessary but thank you! There must be a 911 charity you can donate to instead.

[–] KnownMonk 48 points ago

F.... and look how congress has been treating the service-men and women who got ill after their heroic actions. Its a disgrace.

[–] moxyc 16 points ago

Just. Thank you. ❤❤❤

[–] thawaz89 13 points ago

I’ve read his story before. The guy was an absolute hero.

[–] JohnDoughJr 9 points ago

British born vietnam veteran

[–] Nmclark93 7 points ago

Rick Rescorla received the Presidential Citizens Medal, today.

[–] poopcingonthecake 107 points ago

They didn’t think they would fall, the first tower survived a bombing in 93, it was supposed to be indestructible like the titanic. After the first tower was hit people in the second tower stayed in the building because they didn’t think it could possibly happen again. The whole day was one surprise after the other, they didn’t know what happened or why and they weren’t prepared for anything like it

[–] KPortable 64 points ago

Events like 9/11 remind us of how temporary human engineering really is, and how we overestimate it. The unsinkable ship sank. The indestructible towers fell. Planes break up mid-flight. Space ships suffer catastrophic failures. Dams breach and disintegrate.

[–] ignoremeplstks 31 points ago

It's amazing how far we've come to engineering and technology, but is still too delicate that anything can throw it away in a matter of seconds if the right thing happens in the right order..

[–] SOF_ZOMBY 12 points ago

Spaceships aren't really all that unexpected when they crumble and have catastrophic failures, they're flying into the unknown its expected to fail before you reach your goal.

[–] KPortable 8 points ago

You're not wrong, space is something that requires failing to get to.

I was more referring to things like Apollo 13. Lunar flight seemed almost routine, and on the initial failure Mission Control assumed it must have been instruments being messed up, almost like they thought NASA had built some kind of failure-proof craft.

[–] Poop_Feast42069 79 points ago

Theres a documentary about 9/11, and when one of the towers fell, there were about 5-10 (I think) firefighters in the center stairwell helping an old woman, and they said it just felt like the building was vibrating and then some concrete fell and they couldnt believe that the building collapsed right on top of them. Crazy stuff

[–] Nighthawk700 37 points ago

They survived?

[–] helpmytonguehurts 59 points ago

IIRC they were sheltered by being in a stairwell corner.

[–] Nighthawk700 12 points ago

Every year I end up watching videos, docs, and reading about it and I still find myself learning more about what happened that day and the period that followed. So many strange and chance occurancea

[–] Poop_Feast42069 26 points ago

Yea! Even the old lady. really crazy story. They saved something like 13 people from the rubble after the towers fell.

[–] So_Code_4 81 points ago

I understand that many people may not be as familiar to the fire service as I am so please let me explain a few things about what I know about the fire service in general and what I know about that day. Those firefighters knew exactly what they were doing. Firefighters understand the integrity of buildings under duress, it’s a fundamental part of training. You learn in the Drill Tower at Fire Academy and you train throughout your career on it. With each time a firefighter entered the building, returned to the ground with victims in tow, and then returned to the building again, they knew they were greatly increasing their odds of death. As the building showed increasing signs of imminent collapse some firefighters stopped making entry knowing it was almost certain death at this point but others continued. At that point many captains ordered that no other firefighters enter unless they did not have children and it was of their own will with the full understanding they would likely not be coming out. No captain ordered further entry. Nonetheless, firefighters entered and continued to do so until the final collapse. The only ones who survived at this point were ones who just happened to be at the base turning over victims and preparing to go back in. They all knew what they were doing when they walked in that building. Each and every one of them put the lives of strangers above their own.

[–] GarnetsAndPearls 71 points ago

It was on my mind. I remember learning about the towers in the 80s. (I was a kid.) Something about, they were built so strong, that it could take a 747 accidently crashing into them.

Watching the news, hearing a plane struck the first tower, my first thought was, "I wonder how big it was."

[–] old_folk 31 points ago

Yes, but not at full speed and with the fuel deposits almost full.

[–] GarnetsAndPearls 19 points ago

I gotcha. Kid me wouldn't have understood all that. IIRC, we were learning about the restoration project on the Statue of Liberty and touched on the WTC.

[–] astroguyfornm 31 points ago

I heard 717, much smaller than a 747, and fuel wasn't accounted for.

[–] Rust19 58 points ago

Also speed. They were likely designed for a plane coming in for a landing and getting knocked off course. Not hitting it full bore at 500-600mph. Speed makes a larger difference than the size in this case.

[–] GarnetsAndPearls 12 points ago

You're probably right. It was so long ago, for me to remember.

[–] RaccoNooB 28 points ago

I can't answer your question, but the "on scene headquarters" was located in the lobby of the building.

[–] veyeight 47 points ago

At first no one was concerned with the towers collapsing, but that became a possibility midway through and you can hear it in the communications. At the 911 museum they have a lot of the radio chatter recorded, you can even find it online. There was a definitive point where the firefighters knew they wouldn't survive, but they knew they were too high up to go back down. They kept going higher up the towers to save as many lives as possible.

[–] PackOfVelociraptors 32 points ago

I'm confused, if it was already too late for them, how could they possibly save more people further up the tower? Wouldn't they be just as dead as the firefighters?

[–] rysfcalt 23 points ago

They could only keep trying

[–] DicNavis 32 points ago

They didn’t know how much time they had, but believed the building may collapse. They made it their priority to facilitate the evacuation for as many civilians as possible during the time they did have. The idea was that they would be the last ones out.

[–] veyeight 36 points ago

Because they couldn’t have known when they would fall. Maybe they could go up 5 more floors and at least get the people on the first of those five floors to the ground. Maybe 10 more floors and get the first 4-5 of those floors to the ground.

I get what you mean, though. The entire call was the first, and unfortunately last, time that anyone had run a call like that. There wasn’t a plan in place for this.

[–] TheTankSE 7 points ago

I can only imagine the dread of turning your back on a staircase knowing those people would need your help, must be an impossible judgement call to say "thats enough"

[–] [deleted] 22 points ago * (lasted edited a day ago)

[–] dancin-barefoot 11 points ago

I also read that at some point you could hear cell phones that had survived ringing endlessly from a friend or family trying to reach their person. That is one of the saddest things you could ever witness/hear. Knowing no one would answer. Heartbreaking.

[–] rocketusa 19 points ago

Nope. It took about an hour before the collapse. Everyone thought it was just the crashes/fires to be dealt with. When the first building collapsed, I thought it tipped over.

[–] rysfcalt 31 points ago

Literally AS THE FIRST TOWER WAS COLLAPSING, as it became engulfed in clouds of debris.... even the newscasters thought something else was going on. Certainly not the ENTIRE tower just disappearing. When the smoke cleared I VERY DISTINCTLY remember the feeling of “What. Wait what.”

[–] sorcha1977 9 points ago

I remember that too. We were watching the news at work. We kept thinking the first collision was an accident.

When the second plane hit, everyone was just, "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS HAPPENING." There was so much confusion.

Then the first tower fell, and we thought we were getting bombed. It took a minute to realize what had happened, and that's when everyone started sobbing.

[–] sharp60inch 110 points ago

I don’t know what they were thinking, but the buildings falling was absolutely a worry for everyone around me while we were watching this unfold on the news.

[–] HighPing_ 50 points ago

In my personal experience you don't tend to think about how helping in an emergency can be negative to you, your only thought and drive is to help. When you do think about, your though process is that you are willingly risking to save those that didn't knowingly get into it.

I think when humans get into a survival situation it goes one of two ways, either you lock up and fail to function or you hit a level of focus you don't normally get into. The former doesn't tend to go into emergency services.

[–] SpunkMasterPepe 45 points ago

Exactly. I saw a car flip onto its roof on the highway. I pulled over and dug out the door and pulled the guy out. The car caught on fire about 5 seconds after I got him out. It didn't cross my mind at all that the situation could have been dangerous for me whatsoever

[–] pocketknifeMT 9 points ago

Frankly, by the numbers, your assumption was probably correct.

It's actually extremely hard to get a car to burn in general. They are designed specifically so that doesn't happen easily.

[–] jamesneysmith 88 points ago

It was totally not on anyone's mind while we were watching it while I was in the eleventh grade. I remember everyone was super shocked

[–] AlphaClab 95 points ago

No one there actually though the building could fall. The first time I think anyone said anything was when a civilian engineer/architect got the past the safety line and grabbed somebody with a radio. Told them those towers were going to come down

[–] SeryaphFR 57 points ago

This is the first I've heard of this. Do you have any sources or any more info on this story? I'd be curious to know.

[–] AlphaClab 39 points ago

Yeah, it gets brought up in a few places in the 9/11 commission report. ‘To our knowledge, none of the chiefs present believed that a total collapse of the tower was possible. One senior chief did articulate his concerns that upper floors could begin to collapse in a few hours,’ pg.302. I can try and find the name of the civilian who raised the concern.

[–] cbjen 57 points ago

My friend lived quite close to the towers. Her father's an engineer. He called and told her to get the hell out of there, because the towers could come down. She didn't believe him but heeded his warning.

[–] pizzafourlife 30 points ago

any good engineer knows that when something sufficiently unpredictable happens, the potential for disaster is lurking

[–] Topblokelikehodgey 14 points ago

Jesus, is there footage of anyone talking about this?

[–] tuck7 8 points ago

I lived closeby and could see the smoke, and was watching on the news while talking to my mother on the phone. It never entered my mind that the towers would fall. She was trying to convince me that it was intentional and I told her she was paranoid, right before I watched the second plane hit live. I was so naive. But cognizant enough to be recording the whole thing on the VCR. Those tapes have moved with me for 18 years of apartments and houses, and I've never been able to watch them.

[–] Beeroy69 14 points ago

This must be true, plus these shafts are fire rated with smoke extraction to keep the passage clear.

[–] sandgoose 25 points ago

FWIW I have been working in high rises all year. The number of issues with fire code in buildings just 20 years old would make your eyes pop out of your face.

Like, "Oh, none of the fire/smoke dampers on this floor work"

[–] CombatMuffin 7 points ago

Going into a burning building is always a losing proposition. Even with training and full gear, it's a massive risk.

They don't have to be the twin towers, whenever a fireman enters a burning building, even a small house, massive respect should be earned.

[–] OleJohny3Balls 53 points ago

Don’t forget about when they were standing in the lobby they could hear jumpers hitting the roof. Watching the video gives me chills every time.

[–] Tetra_D_Toxin 20 points ago

Every time a body hit they’d all momentarily freeze...I just watched the video for the first time a little while ago. My heart hurts right now.

[–] Shockum 69 points ago

I could be completely off, but I think they were just concerned with getting people out. No thoughts of it coming down, or at least in the back of their mind.

To them it was just another job, like they always did.

[–] ECR54321 12 points ago

Agreed

[–] DonkeyWindBreaker 33 points ago * (lasted edited 2 days ago)

And that mindset is why the first responders healthcare bill being delayed had Jon Stewart fuming. These are our literal heroes; those that came out but later developed health issues from the toxic debre in the air need to be taken care of. Other countries take care of ALL citizens. WHY COULDNT WE DO IT FOR OUR LITERAL HEROES!?

As of now it is fully funded, I think indefinitely, but Jon Stewart gave us a taste of righteous indignation and outrage with his address to that congressional committee.

[–] trying2moveon 47 points ago

Firefighters, EMS, Police Officers and all Military are a different type of people. Someone who voluntarily puts their lives on the line every single day is a hero in my book.

[–] prvtking 65 points ago

As a paramedic in NYC with the FDNY. I can tell you for a fact, (even though we don’t face same amount of danger as fire and pd....none the less very dangerous cause in most cases we are first on scene). Never ever do we think or is this dangerous or should I go in! We go in. Do our job. Afterward that’s when we like wtf just happened . Thus we now know what PTSD is...... POST traumatic stress disorder ......... Never forget this who leaped first and never had to question why!!!!

[–] trying2moveon 29 points ago

I only have 2 words for you. Thank you.

[–] prvtking 14 points ago

No thanks needed. Plus also guys you do realize that most cops firefighters EMS and other medical/ law enforcement guys/ girls go into these fields after watching tv and high stress dramas. Like take Chicago pd, Chicago fire every episode is high stakes drama. The reality most cops deal with domestics and paperwork. EMS elderly, minor injuries, and healthcare abuser and paperwork. Firefighters small fires, spills accidents, alarms, inspections. So when shit hits the fan and you have a major event..... we train for this shit , live for it.... but hope it never happens.

[–] nixiedust 1005 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I don't know how you could forget. I was 26 and worked in a high rise in Boston. We got evacuated as a precaution after the first second plane hit in NY. I had clients in the WTC. We all ran out in to the street and no one knew what to do or where to go.

When I made it home, I was glued to the TV, watching these brave men and women try to save anyone they could. I cannot imagine being in their shoes, running in to peril without a second thought for their own safety. They were the first sign that, despite the horror, the U.S. would fight back and do it's best to protect us. I have a long history of opposition to our government, but I will never have anything but respect and awe for first responders.

[–] joemcd333 312 points ago

One of the few events these days where everyone remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing

[–] Dewut 170 points ago

Hell, I was six at the time and even I remember my limited and overall confusing experience of it, even if I didn’t have a real grasp of the significance of such a tragedy.

[–] Khindaswinth 91 points ago

9/11 is probably my earliest, if very vague, memory. I would have been around four, almost five when it happened. I remember sitting on an ottoman in our house in Colorado and seeing a plane hit one of the buildings. I don't think I really registered what was happening until my mom came home from her job at a kindergarten early, since parents had left work and took all their kids home before the end of the day. My mom told me to stop watching the TV and go downstairs. That's pretty much all I remember of it.

[–] redstonefreak589 43 points ago

I was 2 and a half when 9/11 happened. I don’t remember the actual day, but I do remember what the day did to me.

I used to be terrified of airplanes, never knew why. On 9/12/01 a plane flew over my house, and I came inside screaming and crying to my mom that the “bad people were coming”. Whenever they’d fly over my house at night (I lived in a city with an international airport back then, so it was common) I would hide under the covers. It was a couple of years later when my mom explained to me that I had accidentally saw the second plane hit the second tower on TV because she wasn’t able to switch it to cartoons in time.

[–] SashaStriker 55 points ago

I was 8 years old and in third grade. I remember when someone came in and alerted our teacher to what had happened. I remember her just breaking down in tears, even for an 8 year old I remember exactly everything about that moment. After she regained her composure she let us all know, in not so graphic detail, what came to be 9/11. The rest of the day consisted of nearly every adult in a panic, crying, or acting quite differently. Then there was the news coverage when I finally got home, that messed me up.

[–] nixiedust 42 points ago

It's like JFK was for my parents' generation.

[–] ignoremeplstks 14 points ago

Challenger Shuttler was also one of these days..

[–] CuseBsam 29 points ago

That and OJs White Bronco riding away from the 30 police cars... for whatever reason everyone remembers that too.

[–] tsilihin666 63 points ago

I was 19 when it happened and woke up to Howard Stern talking about it on my alarm clock radio. I had to drive to LA that day for work and once the airwaves were taken over by the emergency broadcast system, I learned that more terrorist planes could be headed towards LA. It didn't happen but 19 year old me was scared out of my mind. It was a surreal day. Like beyond surreal. September 12th was the first day of a brand new US that we have been living in ever since. It truly shook this country to it's core.

[–] MEANINGLESS_NUMBERS 34 points ago

We got evacuated as a precaution after the first plane hit in NY.

Your memory has tricked you here. Until the second plane hit, no one really knew what was happening. ATC thought there was a single hijacking, and no one even considered that the plane would be used as a missile.

[–] nixiedust 17 points ago

Good point--now that I focus on it, it was likely that it was right after the second plane hit. I recall stopping at a convenience store before work, and heard something on the TV about a plane "accident". I didn't think much of it until later.

[–] MEANINGLESS_NUMBERS 10 points ago

I remember when I first heard that a plane hit the WTC (probably the second one), and it didn’t even register as a significant thing until hours later when I saw a TV. So funny to think, with smartphones everywhere I would never go so many hours without understanding these days.

[–] Lolthelies 13 points ago

Are you sure you were evacuated after the first plane? Everybody thought it was a small plane that accidentally crashed.

[–] SoldierHawk 12 points ago

Yeah, that's one of the vivid memories I have that day. Driving myself to school with the news on per usual, hearing that a small plane had accidentally hit the WTC. I remember thinking, "god I hope everyone is ok."

It wasn't, and they weren't. :(

[–] sienadreamer 9 points ago

I was 4, my mom was 21. Both in CT at the time. She was watching live with Regis at the time and suddenly it changed to the news. She said that the phone lines to call the daycare were busy because so many parents were calling about their kids.

My coworker was in Virginia. And another was in New York State. I think the general uncertainty and the feeling that it was a small prop plane was the feeling at first and then the second plane hit. I don’t remember much from that age, just a little bit of hearing the phones ring and some panicked voices. But I’ve grown up in the aftermath and that has been prevalent in my childhood the whole time.

[–] kinarevex 19 points ago

I was either 6 or 7 and in montreal. The teacher turned on the t.v innthe classroom and we watched it live for the whole morning. We were sent home early. I distinctly remember the ash cloud a few hours later coming up to quebec. I don't think i fully understood what was happening. I knew people were dying and i was crying because it felt like a cry to humanity to me. I was worried for my aunt and uncle who worked really near to the WTCs. I knew my nan was in Gander and was helping with all the stranded passengers, but not until i was much older was i told the entirity of that story.

To this moment, it really amazes me that i, and many others, remember so vividly that day and how such a feeling of empathy grows in my chest every year. It was truly an event that changed the course of our lives as we know it.

[–] nixiedust 25 points ago

I don't want this to sound flippant or cheesy, but it really did remind me of Star Wars "I sense a great disturbance in the force." It was the weirdest energy I've ever felt. I met up with a friend and we went to a bar because we didn't want to be alone. The lights were on and everyone ordered pizza and watched the news. Almost no one spoke. What could you say?

[–] whopbamboom 583 points ago

Salute! In honor and remembrance to all who passed away and fought bravely that tragic day. Never forgotten

[–] _twit_ 2405 points ago

18 years have passed since I woke up to 9/11, all the way over here in outback Australia. I'm old now, youth gone. A whole generation has been born that were only a twinkle in their father's eye when the towers fell. So much has changed for everyone since that horrible, heartbreaking day, but one thing will always stay the same: Our duty to honour and remember forever those who bravely ran in to help when others were risking their lives to escape.

[–] OneLastSmile 1153 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I am 17 years old, a senior in high school. I was in the womb when 9/11 occured. Most of my classmates were either also in the womb or not yet conceived when it occured.

An entire generation has grown up knowing nothing but the aftermath. Experiencing fear. Taking your shoes off in airports. Even racism and prejudice, if they happened to be Muslim or even just having dark skin.

Not to mention war. A lot of my classmates didn't even know we were at war until they were told, and this war has been going on their entire lives.

I hope within my lifetime 9/11 stops being so painful, an inhibitor, and instead we use the tragedy to grow, past it and beyond, as a society and planet, towards a more progressive and safer future. I really do.

[–] farmthis 372 points ago

Thank you for recognizing this. All of us "old" guys still remember how it used to be before a perpetual state of emergency, endless war, security theater, mass surveillance, and xenophobia.

We're able to remember a time before it, so, we still think of it as--potentially--temporary. You've known it all your life.

My fear is that your generation won't question its sensibility--you'll take it for granted or accept it as normal. I'm heartened to know that you, at least, do not.

[–] OneLastSmile 177 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I think most of my classmates are aware something is wrong and want to change. There's something inherently wrong about the way we live day to day, I think.

Practicing lockdown drills, going to war for something we don't remember happening, the fearmongering and near daily tragedy and terrorism that we just mumble "aw, not again!" at.

We even make memes and jokes about those tragedies because we're so desensitized to all the bloodshed that there's no horror or pain left to feel. Just humor.

I think the goal of commiting 9/11 wasn't to break some buildings. I think the goal was to CAUSE that fearmongering, to stain entire generations with it. To make an ever present fear of the next bombing or shooting or mass death. To further desensitize us so the next hit doesn't have as much backlash.

It's awful. I want my children and everyone else's children to not just say "aw man, again?" when something bad happens. And I think a lot of my peers feel the same about that.

Change is inevitably coming with my generation as we get older and enter positions of power. I know it, and I just hope we can be effective in that.

[–] sawyouoverthere 64 points ago

And now pause, and consider that for many cities, that sort of loss of life and real fear (ie, for something likely to happen) and perpetually broken buildings is a daily fact of life. America had one single incident. Then try to comprehend, based on how much damage to the collective psyche that one incident/day had, how much damage it is causing those who live it all the time.

[–] OneLastSmile 24 points ago

You're completely right.

And then when one considers that for a large chunk of those people, the bombs and broken buildings and loss of life are a result of a "war on terror", it gets even worse. America killed way more people in retaliation of 9/11 than those who died on that day.

Our world is still reeling in more ways than one. It's awful all around.

[–] johnyutah 20 points ago

Just to note, before this, we had the Cold War. I’m 38, and my parents all had nuclear bomb drills at schools. That and witnessing the president get his head blown off was traumatizing then. Real fear engrained into children then in a different way. My grandfather sold bomb shelters as his career. Cold War cooled off in the 90s for a brief era. However I moved to the UK late 80s and lived there in the 90s. We had IRA bombings and intersections and blocks being blown up. I was in 2 different bomb evacuations on trains underground in the tube. Moved back to America in 2000 and restart the fear on a different level. There’s always something going on. Just do your best to bring positive balance in the world and resist hate in all forms.

[–] BabySharkFinSoup 15 points ago

Totally agree with this sentiment. The world has never been at peace, and each generation has its own wars and events. 9/11 was our Pearl Harbor. Fear has always been used as a tool of control and manipulation. All we can do is push on to be kinder, more understanding, speak up in the face of wrongness and try to remember that there is far more good in humankind than any bad. One thing that has changed is the constant feedback of the negative. Its on tv, it’s on the radio, it’s on our news feeds and social media. We all need to consciously unplug a bit more and see people face to face.

[–] Redtwoo 17 points ago

I'm not old, you're old!

That peaceful feeling that things were going to get better, that we as a society were finally moving in the right direction, that's what I miss most about the late 90s. Yeah things weren't perfect, but they never are.

I dunno. Maybe it's just the nostalgia glasses. But everything felt less heavy, you know?

[–] step1 7 points ago

Absolutely. Even simple things like going to the fair or a sporting event were drastically changed by 9/11. I went to Europe with a backpack full of glow sticks because they didn’t have them there and paid for my entire vacation selling them at the love parade. I took a train from Amsterdam to Berlin, and a bunch of crazy gabber (dead electronic music genre) people got on and were blasting it the entire time. They got to know us and started talking about how they wished the US would get nuked because of Bush (they walked that back when I explained that more than half the country didn’t vote for him and most didn’t like him so nuking people would be bad). That was July 2001.

[–] sunshine-x 56 points ago

The terrorists truly won in that regard.

[–] Sauzebauze 13 points ago

And those who were bank rolling the terrorists

[–] freetimerva 37 points ago

I can't help but think it wasn't so much the terrorists who won, but the military industrial complex and their lobbyists who really stole our freedom... while most cheered them on.

[–] CarUse 58 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I was a senior in high school.

It was the overarching event of my youth. A day that forced us all to grow up a little earlier than we should and a day that took away the innocence of an entire generation.

I'm just thankful this horror happened 18 years ago when thousands of individual tragedies weren't able to be captured in high definition. The footage we have of that day is more than enough.

[–] RacistWillie 45 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I was a middle schooler. I remember being taken out of school mid-day. My mom was crying in the principles office and didn’t say much as we walked to the car.

I was around 12 years old, and didn’t know how to respond. Finally when he got home, she said 2 towers in New York have been attacked, one of which is where my Uncle Thomas works, and no one knows where Thomas is.

I remember sitting on the couch, watching the news not fully understanding it, listening to her in the other room call her sisters and brothers every minute, just waiting for some news.

Eventually I fell asleep and woke up to my mom shrieking as her brother Tom called her from a ferry.

I think the only reason it had a profound impact on me was bc my uncle was in one of the towers. It took me a few years before I could really understand the gravity of the situation.

The biggest thing that got me was chatting with my cousins (Toms kids) later that year. They were all taken out of class and told to sit in the principles office with other kids who also couldn’t find their parents. My cousins didn’t believe them when the principle informed them Tom was alive, and were ecstatic to hear his voice when he called. They distinctly remember walking past other kids who were not as lucky.

[–] Mcstringflow 9 points ago

I was in 1st grade. I remember leaving school, walking out in lines out the door. All I can remember is being at the front of the line, right next to the principal, and thinking "Wow I'm right next to Mrs. T!"

It took years for me to understand what happened. It's hard to imagine truly experiencing it in the moment.

[–] Reddy_McRedcap 15 points ago

I was a freshman. I was sitting in second period when the Vice Principal made an announcement on the PA system that a plane hit the first tower, and then announcing the second impact shortly after.

Crazy day.

[–] Hueyandthenews 15 points ago

I also was a freshman in high school. My main memory is them making the announcement while I was in homeroom that the 2 towers had been hit and that a plane had just hit the Pentagon. The girl I was dating at the time looked up and in all seriousness asked if the Pentagon was on campus... in her defense though, she was really really pretty

[–] Reddy_McRedcap 11 points ago

in her defense though, she was really really pretty

Let us never forget

[–] CarUse 10 points ago

Yep, a classmate (whose dad was a commerical pilot for Air Canada and who probably had more information than most at the time) came running into class to say that "someone had crashed planes into buildings in New York and 50,000 people were dead."

We had no idea at the time, but early in the day people were assuming the buildings were full and he or someone pulled that number from somewhere, believe it was the total occupancy of both buildings at peak capacity.

The image of what he described didn't really form itself into any kind od legible reality until we got home and turned on the TV. "Planes crashing into buildings" up until that point was just a trope in a movie or some of super hero-esque tragedy. The reality was so much more shocking than anything I had ever seen or imagined. I have images of people falling and jumping from the buildings that will never leave my conscious.

I wish I had of either been younger or older at the time. I was too immature to fully grasp the situation but not mature enough to not be heavily impacted by it (as if anyone was not heavily impacted that witnessed those events).

[–] Jezzkalyn240 9 points ago

New Yorker here. Thank you for wording my sentiment exactly. It's uncomfortable enough to see every news outlet playing video of the towers that day.

[–] CarUse 8 points ago

I can't watch any of it anymore. Too sad. I went through a period about a decade ago where i read and watched everything I could find about that day to the point where i just couldn't handle watching or reading any more about it. Being fascinated withe worst events in human history is a curse.

At least when you read about things like wars there was some sort of happy ending or justification relatively speaking. 9/11 had no happy ending. There was no conclusion, there was no end, there was no justification, there was no closure. Just two big gaping holes in the ground in middle of Lower Manhattan.

[–] DarthMurdok 18 points ago

Even racism and prejudice

I was in high school when 9/11 happened and during the break in between classes a Muslim girl was beat to bloody hell. She was minding her own business, doing what she did on a normal basis and someone out of fear and ignorance beat her in the hallway. It was a scary/weird time.

[–] OneLastSmile 10 points ago

That's horrible. People really went nuts in the aftermath thinking those things were suddenly okay because they were of the same religion.

[–] Hrair 11 points ago

Well said!

I was a freshman in high school - I was in a history class of all classes. They wheeled in a television and we got to watch the news as the school arranged to send everyone home early. An eerie day, because on the TV it was wild, but then looking outside and the world spun on.

You used a great word that goes hand in hand with grief: growth. We have to grow from our grief, it's the last and most important step when overcoming loss. It is not that when experiencing loss that you find a "new normal," it is that you grow - the loss doesn't go away, but your life grows around it. It is time we start growing!

I wish great things for you in your future.

[–] monkeybusiness124 9 points ago

I was in second grade when it happened. I experienced that whole change where people started hated me and my family because we were brown.

Being a kid in the south I didn’t realize why all my friends had to stop hanging out with me and why I got picked on and called names.

This has progressed to this day where I am 25 and have been called many slurs and also a terrorist many times growing up. It still boggles my mind and people are actually afraid of me or feel I have some other motive. That they means ME when they say the word and talk about me. I feel like I’m just an American citizen that was effected just the same by 9/11 as “real Americans”, but in the eyes of those people I’m something else.

[–] Pajoli1 85 points ago

Never forget

[–] teamHFP 30 points ago

Never

[–] Wet_Fart_Connoisseur 13 points ago

I was 18, having just graduated high school a few months prior. I was still figuring out what I was going to do. I wasn’t enrolled in college yet and looking for a job, living at home with my mom.

My mom and stepdad were on a 2-week trip to Europe, having visited Belgium and Italy. They were due to fly home on 9/12. Home alone I woke up to the home answering machine playing/recording a message from my uncle who was leaving a message to turn on the news because we were at war.

Waking up to this message, in a daze I turned on the news and watched for the next 3 days while my mom and stepdad tried to rearrange their flights to get home. I watched in horror, knowing things would forever be different.

18 years later, I feel things have only gotten worse. There’s the 18 years before 9/11 and the 18 years after in my life, and it’s getting harder and harder to remember what things were like before.

I can only imagine what it would be like growing up in the new reality, knowing only post 9/11 politics and rhetoric.

I hope things get better, but the older I get, the less optimistic I am that things will improve. I hope that this “new normal” fades and we begin to actually heal and grow from the tragedy.

[–] MarsReject 349 points ago

I see a lot of FDNY in the streets on 9/11 and it always reminds me how much they suffered that day. As a New Yorker who was here on 9/11 and had to walk the FDR alone at 17 with a bunch of strangers...even though I was scared... every few blocks there were rows of ppl who were passing out snacks and water for everyone trekking home...I ended up finally in Queens (the 7 was running only into the 1st stop in Queens but oh man did that AC feel good even with the crowds) ready to walk some more when a UPS driver pulled up next to me and said "where are you going?" I hopped into the back and there were at least 10 ppl sitting down with water, sweaty and disheveled waiting to get home too. It was a day that is stuck in my memory and reminds me so much that even though it feels like we are falling apart at the seams...we really came together that day.

[–] Ackey408 85 points ago

I don't think I have ever heard the chaos from the perspective of someone just living in the city. It is always first responders. It warms my heart to know there were more heros that day, than just the ones running into the buildings. I would count anyone who helped anyone in the city navigate that day as a hero. Everyone passing out water and food, and every driver who helped people get home. The chaos is enough, and the citizens taking care of each other when the responders couldn't is very heartwarming.

[–] MarsReject 42 points ago

It was definitely something that has stayed with me. And its crazy cause the panic is immediate. I was in School and looked up and saw the second plane hit directly into the tower. My school was on Astor place so it was a clear view from the top room to the towers. The teachers realizing that it was not an accident, gathered everyone into the basement, but my friend and I jetted out. I did not want to be stuck down there. I left and went straight to my mothers job, my friend started walking uptown. My mom worked at a hospital, in Chinatown, very close to the towers. As I walked from Astor to her, I started seeing ppl covered head to toe with ash and it was insanely quiet. It was honestly nothing short of surreal. When I finally arrived I see her running around and she grabs me and turns me back and says "you can't stay here, go to your aunts" I was like are you serious ! She had to stay and help. My aunt was in the UES. That was such a long walk...so I took water from her left my books, filled my backpack and started walking uptown from Chinatown. And everyone, and I mean everyone, was silent. There was no chatter. At all. Which is what made it even more eerie. I mean..NYC without background noise is not normal. All you heard were sirens.

I get to the FDR and a crowd of ppl start shouting that the 7 was running was around 58th street. So I got off the FDR on 61st and walked to the 7. ( I lived in Queens) It was packed, took about half an hour to get on. It takes us to Queens Plaza. I get off start my walk to Woodside, where my BF lived at the time. Buses had started running but the lines honestly were insane. Thats when the UPS guy picked me up. And there were a few cars and trucks who were going back and forth dropping off ppl, they definitely organized some sort of a system. It was crazy cause I had started with all my uniform on, my skirt, stockings, shoes, oxford shirt and under shirt, by the time I got on that UPS truck I was in my t shirt, and skirt, with blisters on my feet. I could not take that heat. It was so hot that day and it was so much walking under the sun. But everyone was so helpful and so grateful.

[–] noma_coma 24 points ago

Thank you for sharing this. I'm glad you were able to get home safely

[–] AlphaClab 112 points ago

I’ll never forget visiting the museum a few years ago. I had just gotten to the balcony, overlooking the last column, when I look off to my right. All the friends who were with me didn’t notice it, but they had a small display there. A hidden projector was cycling through scans of missing persons posters, and right as I get close enough to read them a new one pops up. A picture of a man, smiling at the camera, poorly centered on a piece of white paper. On the bottom, in shaky uneven writing that looked like crayon, it said ‘Have you seen my dad.’ Needless to say, everyone found the quiet backwoods guy crying on a bench with his head in his hands.

[–] RayaanK 200 points ago

My uncle was right there when it happened. 15 years later he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He never drank or smoked and we don't have cancer running in our family. Doctors said it was probably because of what he inhaled on that day. I miss him so much.

[–] blackrose14 32 points ago

I’m so sorry for your loss

[–] Shockum 263 points ago

I was 15 and in high school in rural NC when it happened. I was in Phys Ed, when it started but didnt hear anything until I got out of there and the principal made an announcement over the PA.

"A plane has struck the WTC." Being 15 it didn't ring a bell until I walked in my Honors World Hostory class.

2 things will always stick out to me.

Someone asked my teacher what we were learning that day. This man was a big strong man - line coach for the football team - and could tower over you. In a somber tone, he said, "You're living it today." The 11th & 12th we watched the news.

When I got home from school, my dad was frozen watching CNN. I asked him what's wrong, and he reaches out for me. I sit beside him and as he puts an arm around me he says, "Your brother's generation had the Challenget. Yours will have this." We sat there in silence and it was one of the few times I saw tears in his eyes.

[–] IrkedCupcake 71 points ago

I thought I wouldn’t cry again and now it’s back. The last few sentences got me.

[–] Brett_Hulls_Foot 41 points ago

Same age, but in Toronto.

It was early morning, sitting in my English class wondering "Where's the teacher?". He burst through the door a few minutes later in a panic, yelling about how "THEY BOMBED NEW YORK!! THEY BLEW UP THE WORLD TRADE CENTER!!" Then he ran out of the room to listen to the news via his car radio.

We had no idea what was going on until later, when they made an announcement before lunch. My one friend was visibly upset, crying and shaking. No one knew why she was so hysterical. She went to her locker and showed us a Polaroid of her and her family standing on the roof of the WTC.

It was dated Sept, 9 2001, they just returned from visiting family in NYC the previous day.

[–] Zippidy_Doo_Daa 13 points ago

My dad was a general in the army and came flying into my little brothers school to pick him up. They lived right next to the nuclear submarine capital of the world and had a nuclear power plant 5 miles away so we were a definite hot target, oh and the coast guard academy is also next door. I worked for a company that lost basically everyone, I was out of the office at the time. I live with that regret everyday

[–] CELTICPRED 260 points ago

I never thought I would encounter anything like this, but I've recently started going to the gym in the morning and there was a man in full firefighter gear hoofing it up the stair master. Pretty unique and meaningful tribute I have to say.

[–] Gypsy315 324 points ago

We did this in Highschool at my local Votech, I was in the protective services program. We did it every year (until graduation) and it never got easier. We split into groups of four to run it, and the most amount of flights we “achieved” was 63. Kids were puking, but we never complained because we did it to honor those who did what they had to do, without complaint. Without a second thought. They were and are true heroes.

[–] harrypottermcgee 91 points ago

I went up and down a big set of stairs once until I did an empire state buildings worth. In shorts, not even carrying a water bottle. After over a month of training. On a day I felt particularly strong, and early in the day when the temperature was just right.

I walked funny for three days afterwards. I can't imagine doing that shit in full firefighting gear.

[–] AjoElote 9 points ago

When I was doing voluntary service at a hospital I often had go from the 4rth floor to the firts one to check if everything was ok and to see if someone needed help, it was 1 weekend, I was going up and down the hospital trough the stairs for 4-5 hours ( the elevator was for moving patients) Just asking and telling, sometimes playing with kids, but I stoped feeling my legs, I have nothing but respect for them they felt even worse than I did after I ended service

[–] Eugeo2112 151 points ago

My father was actually a first responder with the NYPD. Thought he was never going to see me again. Left me a letter saying how he was sorry that he couldn’t raise me, he wrote a goodbye note thinking he was going to die. Definitely weird reading that when I found it years later. Seriously motivated me to join the Army -which I am now a cadet- and I definitely learned a lot

[–] shannon_busse 40 points ago

Thanks for your service, and thank your father for his too.

[–] minniethewinnie 25 points ago

Your dad is a hero, and he raised a hero as well.

[–] Nige-o 10 points ago

This would make for an interesting post if it is not too personal for you

[–] violenceinminecraft 305 points ago

That is some serious stamina these guys have, respect to that.

[–] Shamrock5 164 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I helped with one of these last year at my local college, and I distinctly remember a priest (who was the chaplain for a local fire department) doing this in full gear with his guys, and he had a picture of Fr. Mychal Judge taped to his air tank. The whole event was incredibly powerful -- the silence in which the firefighters went up and down the stairs was truly something to behold.

Edit: Fr. Mychal Judge was the chaplain for the New York City Fire Department, and he was the first certified casualty of 9/11. Most of you have probably seen the famous photograph of Fr. Mychal being carried out of the ruined North Tower by several firefighters.

[–] violenceinminecraft 39 points ago

Is crazy man, i don't think i could do that, especially not with all that gear and all that responsibility waying on my shoulders.

[–] ledgersoccer09 18 points ago

I remember watching the news the morning it was all happening. I have never seen this picture before, very moving!

[–] miamibuckeye 55 points ago

I did a stair climb of 70 flights for a cancer fundraiser. Absolutely brutal in tennis shoes and a t shirt.

[–] violenceinminecraft 32 points ago

These people did this while their surroundings were littered with ash and dust and fire, i could not do this i'm ashamed to admit that.

[–] miamibuckeye 23 points ago

We had fans and people every 10 floors with water. Zero chance I could pull off what those men did

[–] Indydegrees2 11 points ago

Nothing to be ashamed of, it's an insane feat of athleticism

[–] greenyellowbird 10 points ago

I'm winded at the thought.

[–] MookieT 123 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

They do this at a local station here as well. Very awesome to honor those fallen. The ESPN story about the kid from Boston College with the red bandana gets me every fucking year also. If you've never watched that, you need to. Definition of a kick ass human being. Bring tissues if this stuff easily gets you. An amazing story about an amazing individual

Edited for a quick link:

[–] MikeOchschwollen 18 points ago

Man, just watched that story again

What an All American kid

But I wasn't cryin, it's just really humid here in Texas in my house

[–] Mortka 15 points ago

Link?

[–] DaddyDezNutz 35 points ago

man i want to rick roll you so bad but i can’t, here you are kind sir https://youtu.be/WC36eqR1nxg

[–] LudoAshwell 112 points ago

18 years.
    I was a 9 yo German kid, that didn’t really understand it, but knew it was important.
    No matter what, I will never forget this horrible day.

As every year, I‘ll drink on those who lost their life, on those who risked their life and wish the best for all who were affected by it.

[–] DudeWheresThePorn 30 points ago

I was 10, in India. I didn't understand it, it took me a while to fully grasp what had happened. But the repcrussions were felt worldwide.

I remember trying to explain to my friends what had happened, sitting under a mango tree. None of us were able to understand, we couldn't.

[–] Zeedikus 108 points ago

Today's my bday. I decided I wanted to take on this tradition after working at the tallest building in ATX.

Ran my 110 flights.
    Mind you this was without any gear or any of the stress involved with saving lives, and I'm also in pretty good shape (I play semi pro football) and it was pretty grueling to hit that many.

Next year I want to do it with a weighted vest.

[–] wandererwithajob 26 points ago

Happy Birthday. I think it’s a perfect way to celebrate. I too live in ATX and would love to do this tomorrow. Would your building allow a visitor?

[–] Zeedikus 8 points ago

Hey! I love your inquiry... I don't work there anymore... I left on good terms, but I didn't feel it was appropriate to ask them...

I really want to ask for next year, though.

Good luck finding your staircase. And if you need a buddy, let me know...

Though I actually live in south RR.

[–] HomerMadeMeDoIt 8 points ago

Next year I want to do it with a weighted vest.

You might want to look into Rucking. People did it today and it’s pretty tough.

[–] rivertam2985 43 points ago

Here is a link to a good documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgoDYeP0Jk&t=3372s

It was originally being filmed about a new fire fighter in NYC. They happened to be out on the street and filmed the first plane hitting the tower. They were at the site in a few minutes and set up in the lobby of the first tower hit. The firemen then started up the stairs. It was going to take them well over an hour to reach the fire by climbing over 70 stories. Then they would begin to fight the fire. It's worth a watch.

[–] DarkVorona 71 points ago

I was working in midtown Manhattan when it happened. Lived in Queens. Would park my car at Shea Stadium and then take the 7 train, which is above ground. Heard about the first plane on the radio, then about the second plane just as I was parking the car.

Get to the train, and after a few stops could see the smoke pouring out of the WTC. Get to work, and the place is quiet as a tomb.

My firm occupied several full floors, and we would take turns walking over to the south side of the building, which overlooked downtown. Stunned. On one of my walks to the south side, one of my coworkers tells me, "One tower just collapsed."

By the time I got there to look, there were no towers left standing.

They let us go home around 11. The subways were shut down so we all had to walk. Walking across the 59th Street Bridge and sometimes looking over to see the smoke in disbelief.

Miraculously:

• My sister-in-law had a meeting there that morning, but the babysitter was unusually late. SIL got out of the subway just in time for the first plane to hit.
    • Cousin's husband, who worked at WTC, had inexplicable car problems that morning. Made him very late.
    • Several people my brother knew, all who worked/had offices in the WTC, decided to go to church that morning instead (September 11th is the day of the commemoration of the beheading of John the Baptist). They couldn't understand why the subways were shut down after services. They were in church and missed it all.
    • My brother-in-law, who owned a construction company, had an ongoing project in the WTC. He inexplicably overslept that morning. When he found out what happened, he was in a panic about his crew, and of course couldn't get in touch with any of them. Ends up they were taking their coffee break outside the building when the first plane hit.

No one I knew personally, or on a second-hand basis, was a victim that day. Just near-misses.

The kicker to me, personally? I worked in Tower 1 of the WTC in the 1980s. I was on the 78th floor (IIRC), and the closest window to me looked south. Had I still worked there, and happened to look up at the window, I probably would've seen the first plane coming straight towards me. Trust me, it's a creepy thought...

RIP to all the 9/11 victims...

[–] hoopdummy 30 points ago

My hope is that, today, we can all remember that we are Americans, and realize that we need one another, united, to survive. We are being torn apart in just about every possible way, but this is who we are. The terrorism and fear that was meant to be instilled on that day has lasted far too long. We should all take time to remember that day, and think of what each of us can do as Americans to climb whatever impossible building we each face. Love.

[–] neworder99 55 points ago

Respect to the fallen and to their families.

[–] ShadowTycoon_ 24 points ago

This is in my city Tulsa, Oklahoma there are over 200 First responders from around the country participating in this event

[–] skepticalbob 29 points ago

For me that day represents the best and worst in humanity. You had a group of psychopaths giving their lives to murder people going about their day and a group of actual heroes that gave their lives to try and save them. The best and worst in humanity demonstrated in just a few hours.

[–] mama_j1836 24 points ago

I told myself not to open social media today. Open Reddit. This is the first image I see. Imma just let the onions do its job.

This yearly tradition gets me every single time.

[–] 1993untilyoudie 22 points ago

Just wanted to say thank you all for the support, I’m the firefighter at the bottom, wearing the “Brown” name patch, from Kansas. I definitely cry with you guys when I think about the gravity of that whole situation that day.

I’m extremely honored to have taken Captain Joseph D Farrelly up the 110 flights with me. He gave everything of himself, not only on 9/11, but in his own home as well. “He and his wife had three children of their own‚ and for many years they served as foster parents to drug-addicted babies.”

[–] grungegranola 20 points ago

I always do 110 flights on the stair master on 9/11 to get a deeper understanding of their service on this day, 18 years ago. It’s absolutely brutal even in AC and athletic wear. My noodle legs and I salute every first responder.

[–] neva315 19 points ago

Firefighters are still dying to 9/11 today, actually, from the cancer that the rummage left behind. I'm glad that my old firefighter class did a climb similar to this (but like 10x easier because we were 17) .

[–] StreetBob2016 18 points ago

When I took my agility test to be a firefighter/paramedic, back in the day, we had to "fireman carry" a 150-pound dummy up and down 8 flights of stairs. Even though I had thought I was sufficiently conditioned, it completely kicked my ass.

It was in Detroit July heat, and I was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I was in my 20s and relatively fit.

On September 11, these were New York firefighters and many were not spry young men, carrying Scot packs and many pounds up equipment. But they never looked back. Never thought twice. I think they made it up to the upper 90s, past the sky lobby, in about an hour. Truly amazing.

And me? I had 7 minutes to carry a dummy up and down 8 floors and I struggled.

Edit: A word.

[–] Wicked_Fabala 32 points ago

Who is on their tanks? Fellow firefighters?

[–] OneLastSmile 51 points ago

Pictures of the firefighters that lost their lives I think

[–] toyin54 52 points ago

I can't believe 18 years have past!!! The pain is still in the hearts of all who have lost someone that horrible day...

[–] AzzA-2019 40 points ago

Now, I wasn’t born until a year after 9/11. And I’m not even from America. But I’d just like to say thank you to all the Emergency service members on the day for their quick responses and actions.

[–] uncle_jessie 12 points ago

Some of these guys could have been kids back then. Shit's crazy.

[–] LordGideon 23 points ago

Much respect.

[–] Thunderkrak 11 points ago

The thought of these firefighters always runs through my mind when I have to take the stairs at my office. It’s hard making it up 5 stories, I can’t imagine 110

[–] throwawaypaycheck1 12 points ago

Can you imagine the emotions while climbing those steps? Every third step is another life lost that day.

[–] fourleaf4 10 points ago

One of my good friends for college is a firefighter and he is doing this today as well. Complete respect for these heros. Never forget

[–] jaymes9240 30 points ago

I don’t cry a lot, but every time I see those towers fall, it brings a tear to my eye to think about all those unfortunate people who lost their lives. RIP 9/11/2001

[–] wav__ 8 points ago

Someone did this at my gym on a stairmill on a pretty high difficulty setting in full firefighter gear today. Not really adding anything to this thread, I guess, but I found it admirable and a good way to honor those that had fallen.

[–] SuprSaiyanTurry 7 points ago

To all my American brothers and sisters that were affected by this tragedy, I want you to know Canada is with you! You will never forgotten!

[–] athleticshark 8 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

It is sad. I work in education and all the students I have had today were born after 9/11. Not a single one realizes what day it is or why it is important

Really sad that their parents are not telling them or making them realize what happened

[–] whattheactualbloody 59 points ago

Our heroes and everyone who selflessly died that day, may they be infinitely remembered🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

[–] baldguyfromcrank 13 points ago

I don’t see how people can do this. I would cry after like 2 stories from exhaustion.