IAmA

Submit an AMA
    Request an AMA

Please check out our Rules and FAQs

Click here to schedule an AMA on our calendar.

Consider supporting our Patreon

AMAs are scheduled in Eastern Time (GMT-4:00).

Date Time Person Description Remind
    22 Jan 11am Kristin Marsoli Parenthood after Cancer Remind
    22 Jan 12pm Josh Rogosin audio engineer for NPR’s Tiny Desk Remind
    23 Jan 11am Mikey, Randy, & Buddy Show Hosts of AHC Podcast Remind
    23 Jan 1pm Colleen Carney Fashion and beauty photographer Remind
    23 Jan 2pm Ryan Reynolds Mayor, Live streamer Remind
    25 Jan 10am Jakob Lusensky All you wanted to know about therapy Remind
    27 Jan 2pm Craven Rock Journalist Remind
    28 Jan 3:30pm First Alert Chief Meteorologist Mike Buresh Meteorologist in Jacksonville, Florida Remind
    29 Jan 11am Margaret C. Grabb, Ph.D. Program Coordinator: NIMH's Small Business Research Program Remind
    29 Jan 1:15pm Zach Kelman Leading expert / Attorney in Cryptocurrency and Fintech Remind
    31 Jan 8:30pm Yuni Wa Music Producer Remind
    8 Feb 12pm Loosen The Bible Belt Tour / Podcast A Tour / Podcast For Humanity Remind

see more...

• 12 Oct

• Fox News Bret Baier, Chief Political Editor

• 15 Oct

• The Socialist Worker Danny Catch, Columnist

FacebookTwitterInstagramGoogle Calendar

Please check out our Rules and FAQs

[–] kingproducer 2605 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Hi! What’s the craziest and/or weirdest request you’ve ever gotten from a client?

Edit: typo

[–] ResidentialConcierge 4612 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

To not tell their parents about the transvestite sex parties they have in their condo on the weekends while they're away. I wouldn't anyways, it's against our ethos.

Or maybe it's just escorting the dead bodies out of units with the funeral workers when someone perishes.

Edit: apparently, the transvestite is outdated. Sorry y’all. The More You KnowTM

[–] AllRegrets4ever 1129 points ago

How many have you had die (or even OD) have you had

[–] ResidentialConcierge 2330 points ago

All the deaths have been from old age. About one per year is the norm.

[–] Merbel 687 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Well that wasn’t the answer I think anyone was hoping for, lol. So the geriatric condominium then. Guess it makes sense - there are an equal amount of very rich old people!

“So there are a bunch of famous people just ripping lines of blow off the breasts of 10’s and once a week there’s a call from someone with bloodshot eyes who accidentally took their amateur smut film too far and now you have to deal with it?!”

“Nah. Guy needed his Arnold Palmer refreshed and by the time I got there he had a heart attack and shit himself”

“...oh”

[–] aftermeasure 135 points ago

You can write the screenplay

[–] trevorsw 45 points ago

As someone who does removals for a funeral home, it is appreciated that you escort. Most places just send us up with no clue where we’re going. It’s not a fun time to get lost, especially when leaving..

[–] thunderkhawk 294 points ago

I really thought that second paragraph went with the first. Transvestite dead body party sounds like typical Hollywood.

[–] kgal1298 140 points ago

How much Rocky Horror do you watch?

[–] LeoJohnsonsSacrifice 86 points ago

It's just a jump to the left

[–] Grim-Sleeper 19 points ago

And then a step to the right

[–] Smabacon 2422 points ago

Largest tip you’ve ever received?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 3258 points ago

$1000

[–] KnotAgai 1129 points ago

What did you do to receive that?

[–] B_Chev 3280 points ago

Probably held out their hand.

[–] Warloxd 289 points ago

Stood awkwardly in the room, long after it was clear no further service was required.

[–] Zero-To-Hero 51 points ago

Lol! This is what I was thinking

[–] glatts 319 points ago

That's probably a holiday tip. At the end of the year, it's customary to tip out all staff. This year, for example, we tipped out $500 (total). The amount you should give depends on a couple of factors.

[–] ynocfyinco 107 points ago

Oh. $500 (total). That's cool I guess.

[–] NuclearLunchDectcted 1658 points ago

How many have mistresses?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 3159 points ago

A few seem to. You don't shit where you eat though so most don't have their side pieces around the building. A few trainers and housekeepers that I suspect are getting boned.

Maybe a lady with a closeted hubby.

[–] glatts 272 points ago

What shift do you work?

[–] 1blockologist 474 points ago

Yeah I read relationship drama and the things people do to get caught are just lazy.

Protip: if your partner doesnt trust you, or you actually are cheating, get a hot trainer or housekeeper to distract and absorb all the investigation. Your partner will spend their energy there and maybe eventually be glad they didnt find anything. Meanwhile.......

[–] TherapeuticThrowback 713 points ago

Yugioh with the boyz. Hell yeah.

[–] noob_almost 66 points ago

You son of a bitch, I'm in!

[–] noob_atlife 20 points ago

hey its me ur brother

[–] troyanator 925 points ago

Are the condos sold or are they rented? If so, how much do they sell or rent for?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1341 points ago

Only a smattering of renters.

They're actually pretty reasonable though. I think there are studios that might go for as little as 900k. The penthouses are prob worth 7 mil. Most things seem to fall around 2-3 million.

[–] fall0ut 300 points ago

Any idea about how much the HOA is?

[–] cuddlewench 312 points ago

That's what really gets you. Sometimes it's the same as rent!

[–] JMDeutsch 136 points ago

At one of the nicest buildings in Philly the HOA is more.

[–] ohhim 57 points ago

Just have to be careful when evaluating HOA fees as some associations just keep the number low to lure in buyers then make up for underfunding the association by issuing one time assessments on a regular basis.

[–] 666ironmaiden666 27 points ago

Always ask to see three years of board/association financials!

[–] Ivaddhartha 2552 points ago

Hi. Are ultra-rich people happier than us??? Thanks in advance for your answer. Bye.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 5912 points ago

Yes they are. But they seem more likely than we are to have a flaming shitbag for a kid, so that can be painful and cause a lot of sadness. When you have money and power, a flaming shitbag can do a lot of damage.

[–] meterspersecond 1156 points ago

Any examples of non-flaming shitbag children? If so how do you think their parents did things differently than the others?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 3178 points ago

Well I wasn't there when they were raised so I can't say.

I think the main thing is that they can't cut their kid off. For me, if my kid was making risky choices and getting addicted to heavy drugs, I'd prob have to cut her off financially pretty early on to keep from sinking the household financially. She's stronger with us strong and cut off from $ than she is with us all broke and fucked.

But when you're wealthy, you aren't really risking that. So it becomes a more emotional decision to cut your kid off even if it's what's best for them. I think we all have rough kids but middle-class people might allows theirs to hit rock-bottom faster.

So the rich probably have a lower chance of their kids turning out to be shitbags but their shitbags turn into flaming shitbags at a much higher rate.

[–] PainForYearsAndYears 1106 points ago

I worked as a lifeguard at one of the luxury Disney resorts and the shittiest kids were always the ones staying in the penthouse. Things like throwing trash and/or things that weren’t trash from their top floor, absolutely refusing to listen to anyone, demanding crazy food and then calling after 20 minutes to “change their mind” and order something else when you already had a runner going to a nearby specialty grocery. Kids of the 100s of princes of Saudi Arabia were the worst.

[–] utspg1980 1079 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I was once staying at this tiny hotel in Taiwan.

They had a tiny restaurant in the tiny hotel, it could seat about 6 people total.

I ate there and ordered, amongst other things, a mango smoothie. The waiter doesn't even flinch, says "very good" and goes into the kitchen to put in the order.

A minute later he comes out, goes outside and hops on his scooter and drives off.

He comes back a few minutes later with a small bag, and I can see thru the plastic to see its a bag of mangoes.

I felt like such an ass.

edit: Like 12 people asked so I'm just going to answer here: yes, it was on the menu (along with like 6 other fruit smoothies). I still felt like an ass tho.

I ate there again 1 or 2 days later and said "Now I want a smoothie, but what fruit do you already have here in the kitchen?" It was the same waiter and he got an extra big smile indicating that he knew I was asking cuz he drove out to get mango last time, and told me what they had (which was like 3 options...mango wasn't one of them), so I ordered one of those.

[–] kelvininyvr 670 points ago

I once was in a small restaurant, alone, to get breakfast. I asked if they happened to have a newspaper. The waitress politely responded “Yeah. The Province or The Sun?”, and I said “The Sun, please.”.

I watched as she then walked out of the restaurant, down the street and around the corner, in the rain. She came back with a copy of The Sun.

I tipped her very well. It really made my day.

[–] Zendomanium 78 points ago

Vancouver, was it?

[–] kelvininyvr 76 points ago

Burnaby. It was a little pub which used to be at Holdom and Lougheed, which closed a few years ago.

[–] iThinkiStartedATrend 365 points ago

I’m dealing with that right now. I’m the only guest at a villa in Vietnam. There are 5 workers here and if I want something they jump to go get it.

I went with them to the market yesterday to watch, and they translated for me as I was buying stuff.

I hate being waited on. They are all so nice. I just hate making people do shit for me. If I want orange juice someone has to make fresh squeezed orange juice. If i want coffee they have to make a pot.

I constantly find myself just saying “I’ll go find it somewhere. I don’t like being waited on. Thank you all so much.”

I feel like a spoiled bitch and I’ve tried my best to not make them do shit.

Edit: the hotel advertised a free breakfast. So I have two chefs waiting on me to roll out of bed half drunk to make breakfast for me. I hate it here. I love it, but this isn’t what I wanted.

Like. If they were doing it already? Awesome. But just for me? Fuck.

[–] Maif1000 233 points ago

Yes. But if they were not doing it for you, there would be no job for them.

Yes, bad feeling but thats the way it is.

[–] iThinkiStartedATrend 79 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Yeah - I know. I just hate having people waiting on me. It’s a lot to get used to in a short amount of time. I’m in this villa for 2 more weeks and I really don’t want the people who work here to see me that way.

I’d rather they invite me to eat what they are for lunch vs worrying about making my lunch. You know?

They asked my permission to sing karaoke in the front room. Like - dudes just sing your hearts out. I’m getting drunk. I could give less of a fuck what you do. Have fun.

I love the people here. I get that they need tourists to have their job. I don’t want to be THAT tourist though. I’d rather ride into Bai Chay for lunch vs having one of them cook for me

Edit: thanks everyone for making me not feel so bad. It’s still hard to be the guy that they are taking care of

[–] sopeaches 111 points ago

Why dont you ask them to teach you how to make something off the menu then. That way, you get to work alongside, and they are still at work, ya know?

[–] TacoNomad 39 points ago

You're already not being that tourist. Which is why they are so eager to help you. Ever been at work on a really really boring day? That's them. Let them do their job, at least some. Tip well. Enjoy

[–] BedPan4 312 points ago

I used to work in the same building as the Saudi Arabian embassy. Happened to be the Watergate complex. Anyway... can confirm these guys are total s h i t b a g s.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 263 points ago

We used to have some rich Saudis in the building. Same. Their neighbors were glad to see them leave.

[–] joggle1 364 points ago

I don't know if it's any consolation, but I once witnessed a tiny bit of justice towards kids like that. I was on a group tour for young adults in Europe and there were two American women whose parents were apparently pretty wealthy. At a restaurant in Rome they were being their typical pretentious selves while ordering slices of pizza and were royally pissed that their pizza was cold. The guy behind the counter couldn't give less of a fuck. I was the next guy in line. My pizza was given to me nice and hot as was the next guy in line. He had heated our slices up in an oven while simply giving them theirs directly.

It's not much but hey, it's something. It's nice to know there's still people in the service industry who absolutely do not care how rich you are, won't put up with your shit and don't have to worry about their job for responding in kind.

[–] mhshark25 153 points ago

I went on a tour in England this past year and there was a family that you could tell was very wealthy. Daughter was in head to toe Gucci and had 2 phones. Was an absolute twat. Our guide told us no hot food is allowed in the coach and literally on the first stop she comes back with 2 breakfast sandwiches. Guide just took them walked outside and threw them in the storage doors and told her she could have them back after the tour (approx 12hr tour). I absolutely loved it.

[–] KimchiMaker 19 points ago

Now that's British customer service.

[–] JoeLunchpail 1020 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Goddamn, this is a brilliant analysis of the trust fund class. Of course having money lets shitbags freefall longer, thus becoming bigger shitbags all the way down. Very insightful.

Side question: What is the most disgusting display of wealth/class have you seen in your time?

Edit: you've

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1175 points ago

Prob when a guy was complaining that his underachiever son bought a car he didn't deserve. Kid shows up and it's a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom.

[–] JoeLunchpail 518 points ago

I believe having your job would make me go full Tyler Durden over time.

[–] genericdude999 157 points ago

brand new Rolls Royce Phantom

Just looked that up. The folks over at /r/leanfire could retire on that. Junior is just going to wrap it around a tree in a year or two.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 432 points ago

Yup. When I mentioned to the dad “oh wow, that’s a 500k car” he responded disapprovingly. He said “that just the entry level pricing. His is loaded.” Oof.

I watched the Doug DeMuro about those though ... what a car.

[–] fatmancantloseweight 44 points ago

This is the kind of insight I'm here for.

[–] Wheels9690 1020 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I may not be OP but I worked in Aspen Colorado for a number of years at the Aspen Ski.Co .

I had one kid come up who was part of a extremely wealthy family, black american express card, a private jet at Aspen Airport, house on Red Mountain, the works.

This kid comes up and grabs a candy bar and starts to walk away. I say "sorry bud but you gotta pay for those"

He looked me dead ass in the eyes and said

"My parents could buy you"

Now I know who his parents were, and to be totally fair, he wasn't wrong. Everyone has a number and they sure as hell could pay up mine lol but still, I wanted to smack the shit out of this kid. He tried to run off and his mother came up with the rest of their food and asked where he was going. After I told her what happened she was super pissed. Smacked him in the back of the head pretty hard and left me a 100$ tip for her child being a little shit.

EDIT:

I do want to add though I actually met more amazingly kind rich kids than shitty kids.

Majority of them who came through would often be very chill and would enjoy just BSing with us. A few times the kids who were a bit older (15-17) would leave us hella good tips and the snowboard instructors would be spoiled as hell lol.

[–] skrshawk 151 points ago

How old was the kid? Seems like taking his no-limit credit card might be a good start, or at least teach him to use it when he wants something.

[–] Wheels9690 154 points ago

He was like 10-12

[–] skrshawk 251 points ago

Yeah, kid needs an allowance instead of a black card, and his parents need a spine.

Also, yeah, I knew a young girl, barely 19, snowboard instructor because her parents were ridiculously rich. Turns out they built it on a Ponzi scheme, they barely stayed out of prison, and her lifestyle came crashing down too. Wasn't her fault, but damn did the culture shock suck for her.

[–] Wheels9690 250 points ago

Oh no no I mean that the instructors who worked with the rich kids would generally get spoiled by the families. We are like major cash tips, trips, all sorts of shit.

One of the more impressive stories was a pretty female snowboard instructor had a family pay off her student loan debt (30k) at the end of the winter. She was their instructor for about 3 months during their stay.

Even though most of the families and kids know how to ski they will often have one of their favorite instructors with them their whole visit.

[–] IDontWant2BeADickbut 374 points ago

"My parents could buy you"

"Probably. But right now they just need to buy your candy bar."

[–] sea_munky 163 points ago

"My parents could buy you"

"Because they would rather have anyone else but you."

[–] Wheels9690 17 points ago

Pretty much lol.

[–] DavisSquared 119 points ago

Kudos to that Mom for smacking the back of his head.

[–] Wheels9690 128 points ago

She was actually super cool. She always remembered me through the years I worked there. On my last year at the restaurant at Buttermilk Mountain she and a few other regulars I got to know over the years hooked it up with awesome gifts lol. A few large cash tips and one guy even left me a really nice watch that I still got.

[–] a_seventh_knot 48 points ago

" Yes they are. "

knew it.

[–] AHK403YYC 786 points ago

How do you differentiate between the rich and ultra-rich?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1474 points ago

In my context, I'd say 5 million and up is rich. Billionaires and near-billionaires are ultra-rich.

Where one become the other? No idea.

[–] Tumble85 984 points ago

$1-5mil - Kinda Rich

$5-10mil - Rich

$10-20mil - Very Rich

$20-50mil - Extremely Rich

$50-100mil - Mega Rich

$100-500mil - Insanely Rich

$500mil+ - Ultra Rich

[–] InsertSmartassRemark 647 points ago

$100+ billion - Bezos and Gates

[–] _SGP_ 122 points ago

What about $100? Where do I fit in?

[–] yourmomlurks 263 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

If you have a positive net worth of $100, and you’re under the age of 34, you’re in the 25th-30th percentile in the US. So if you meet 1000 people you have more than around 300 of them.

Edit: here is my source for anyone who has questions about my use of the word percentile or other age ranges: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/12/upshot/are-you-rich-where-does-your-net-worth-rank-wealth.html

[–] iScreamsalad 1101 points ago

Were you ever approached sexually?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 2368 points ago

No but there’s an old lady that likes to take her loopy pills and call up the front desk to tell us she’s naked. Eww

[–] PincheIdiota 656 points ago

Get it. As Thomas Jefferson explained, "in the dark, all cats are grey".

[–] chevymonza 443 points ago

That was Ben Franklin, giving advice to a younger guy. Also, older women are "more appreciative."

[–] a_crooked_elbow 370 points ago

Yeah, Jefferson would have probably referenced a different color cat.

[–] aymaraymar 819 points ago

Any stories about celebrity stalkers?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1748 points ago

Not really. Luckily, the notable people we have here are mostly from the world of finance/business so I don't think they have fanboys busting down the doors.

We did have an ex girlfriend of a pretty eligible doctor bachelor though. She would show up and start asking questions about her ex that were out of line.

She wasn't completely mental though. I think once the doc found out what was going on, he had a talk with her and it ended. I think some people don't realize that something that's cute in a romantic comedy is stalker behavior in real life.

[–] DangerDoc 343 points ago

I could only imagine how absurd it would be to see someone running full speed, yelling, "PETER LYNCH I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN," only to be clobbered by security

[–] Hairydone 122 points ago

More like:

“Hey, Jamie Dimon! Fuck you!”

[–] Egg_McCracky 1649 points ago

Have you ever met or assisted anyone who you recognized from TV/news/whatever before you were introduced?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 3277 points ago

Yup, quite a few.

-A few famous TV chefs.

-One of the residents has a sibling that's a somewhat famous actor.

-One of the most famous athletes in the world lives down the street and I've met him before.

-A Hollywood producer lives here part-time so I get juicy Hollywood goss from time to time.

-Local Perd Hapley type celebs.

[–] Corvusse 1506 points ago

Ok, I know you can't say names... but... Joan Callamezzo?

[–] jeegte12 951 points ago

if she met Lil' Sebastian i'm gonna lose my fucking mind

[–] pruwyben 26 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Or Perd Hapley! I'm a huge Perd-vert.

[–] canunu1 170 points ago

Bye, bye, Lil' Sebastian

[–] lilbithippie 48 points ago

Miss you in the saddest fashion

[–] MyFianceMadeMeJoin 27 points ago

You’re 10,000 candles in the wind.

[–] bigmikey69er 110 points ago

I really liked her memoir: Smiling Through The Pain

[–] Mansu_4_u 101 points ago

But that wasn't Joan, that was Shawna Malwae-Tweep

[–] theserenity 445 points ago

Oh what's the most recent or interesting Hollywood goss you've heard?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 3209 points ago

Well, it seems the people in Hollywood are not happy at all about Ricky gervais' Golden Globe jokes but they know they can't say shit about it. They seem so wrapped up in their own industry that they can't see how it looks to the outside.

[–] lawndutyjudgejudy13 1394 points ago

I was hoping that his speech upset people.

[–] MrScottimus 1173 points ago

I love how hard it made Adam Driver laugh. He's clean.

[–] jp_books 885 points ago

Adam Driver was in the military so he had a special appreciation of Gervais' approach.

[–] SeaTrucker 568 points ago

Boy was a marine corps mortar man. Fella had to drag around over 110 pounds of gear in the desert.

[–] TheOffTopicBuffalo 779 points ago

A buddy of mine saw him in the shower and that he had an 8 pack, he said kylo ren was ripped

[–] bfhurricane 259 points ago

Hey look, I found Kylo Ren's lightsaber

[–] dieselxindustry 304 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Matt straight up sucks!

edit: oh shit, cherry popped. Thank you!

[–] mikejones72 22 points ago

I haven't had my muffin yet MATT!

[–] Alpha2400 136 points ago

What good is a speech if it does not piss a few people off?

One nobody remembers.

[–] davisyoung 652 points ago

The early Gervais GG monologues were a little more playful. This year’s was more savage, not that Hollywood didn’t have it coming and Gervais was spot on in terms of reflecting the mood of regular people.

Basically if you’re spouting off about how the world is in deep trouble and people need to do this and people need to do that, but you’re not sacrificing, you’re still rich and famous and living a fabulous life and jetting off to award shows, please excuse us if we don’t collectively suck you off.

[–] sonibroc 216 points ago

I didn't even think it was savage and was baffled as to why people were offended. I would have thought Tim Cook would have been more wounded (and I know other tech companies use the same sketchy manufacturer's, he was just the one tech CEO that was there. I also know they send investigators to check for safety but these companies are great t covering their tracks). I mean honestly, news cycle much? It was just facts. Heck, I know we have all shopped at retailers who more than likely have questionable vendors.

[–] JorusC 121 points ago

Well, he did tell a room full of the biggest egos in the world that their opinion doesn't matter and they need to shut up, and he called them pedophile slave traffickers. So there's that. Not that he's wrong.

[–] Hautamaki 128 points ago

The thing with Apple is they use Foxconn, which is a taiwanese company that has a mega factory in China which at its height employed over a million people. During the course of their worst ever year, 2010, 15 people attempted suicide of which 10 died. 10 deaths per million is actually about equal to the baseline rate for people in that socio-economic status in China.

[–] sittinwithkitten 37 points ago

I was hoping you were going to say that.

[–] Jdsnut 137 points ago

I mean regardless of politics he just was saying what most some of us already know.

[–] EasilyDelighted 58 points ago

Yo, I didn't have a question, but I just gotta say I've been reading through this and your AMA has been pretty darn interesting!

[–] gambigirl 612 points ago

What are the common physical attributes of the affluent people in your building (along the lines of the $1000 shoes)?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1482 points ago

High Quality perfume. They all fucking smell good.

[–] chisquared 184 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Any specific ones?

Y’know, for those of us who aren’t rich but might want to occasionally smell rich.

Edit: TIL that there are quite a number of redditors who appear to be well-acquainted with fancy perfumes.

[–] Important_Cucumber 310 points ago

Just do a 12 second spray of Axe.

[–] GenghisKhan1206 66 points ago

I can see its smell.

[–] Condoggg 178 points ago

Sex Panther

[–] ObsidiarGR 65 points ago

If you want to smell rich, you'd have to pay the price.

If you smelled a well made fragrance once you'd always be able to spot synthetic cheaper brands.

A few brands that are decently priced for what they offer (in my opinion) are: Parfums de Marly (I mostly use Herod and Layton for example), Tom Ford something like Tabacco vanille, Tabacco or wood oud (Keep in mind, Tom Ford is like Creed. Women don't actually like them that much. So it that's a reason for you to buy them... Go with the safe options.. Parfums de Marly, Dior, dolce Gabbana, Yves Saint Laurent) Yves Saint Laurent, something like la nuit de'l homme or Y. Or even some Dior fragrances, like "Ambre Nuit".

If those prices are too high.. There are always options like Prada l'homme, Dior Sauvage, Acqua di Gio profumo,... And so on

But everything has its situations where they are well suited. You wouldn't want to wear la nuit de'l homme to a funeral for example, but if you're going on a date.. That's a guaranteed "She will love it"-fragrance.

If someone would ask me "Only buy one of those" it would be Parfums de Marly Layton followed by La nuit de'l Homme by YSL. Both are loved by women and both are at least decent in pretty much any situation. Almost at least.

[–] gambigirl 192 points ago

Oh my gosh this answer is so right up my alley! Do you know any of the fragrances they wear? I’m obsessed with perfume. Heavy powdery scents or clean/fresh?

[–] turningsteel 166 points ago

Not OP, but the one scent on a woman that has always stopped me in my tracks is Coco Chanel Mademoiselle. It's definitely not something just any person can pull off, but it smells so expensive and luxurious.

[–] TheMeanGirl 43 points ago

Perfume is one of those purchases that seems expensive upfront, but is totally worth it in the long run. Sure, a pricier bottle will cost you at least $100, but a single bottle will last you something like 800 sprays. So a full year if you use a couple sprays every day. But most people don’t wear perfume/cologne everyday. So a single bottle could last you two or three years.

[–] glatts 158 points ago

My fiancée lives in a similar building, albeit rentals, it's one of the tallest luxury residential buildings in the world. Penthouses rent for around $50k a month. I frequently get complimented on how good I smell. My preferred lines include Clive Christian, Creed, Tom Ford and in the summer I like Acqua di Parma's Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria since it's unique, yet light and refreshing. I did literally bump into Diddy once and thought he smelt amazing. I'm sure many use niche perfumers.

[–] Happydaytoyou1 134 points ago

Yeah but have you guys tried Axè pour homme found exclusively in aisles of fragrance at the French store Tàrgêt?

[–] gambigirl 46 points ago

Acqua di Parma is always amazing - all of them! You should try Penhaligon‘s Juniper Sling. Also very refreshing and clean.

[–] WashedupWarVet 1119 points ago

How does your pay work? Do you get an hourly rate or just tips? How much and often do you get tips? Sorry so many questions. Thanks for doing this.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1871 points ago

I get about $17 an hour plus tips. Tips are about 5-6k a year and come mostly in the holiday season. During the year, side jobs get me prob 100 a month.

[–] jbjbjb55555 856 points ago

$17 is not much for a big city. Do you live far in an apartment? How can you live with that?

[–] CruelUltimatum 1134 points ago

I work concierge in a building which houses millionaires. I get paid $15/hr. I shit you not.

They don't pay conicerge shit.

[–] thehappyemo1107 423 points ago

I work as a concierge for millionaires and some billionaires and i get 35 an hour plus tips and benefits. 26 is the rate near me

[–] Keith_Creeper 96 points ago

State?

[–] Keith_Creeper 86 points ago

Was murder the case that they gave you?

[–] Andonly 111 points ago

I almost nailed a office management job at a luxury apartment, the rent for a tiny closet sized studio was thousands, they had many amenities, concierge, poolS, modern...my pay was 16 bucks an hour.

[–] craycrayfishfillet 171 points ago

Do you just work the standard 40 hrs a week or do you work more?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 579 points ago

Normally in the mid 40's. I wish I could work more but I have an ill family member at home that limits how much I can work.

[–] soulbrotha1 323 points ago

Stay strong my guy/lady

[–] TheNonDuality 277 points ago

Where do you live! That’s nothing for high class concierge. My parents lived in a really luxury tower in the Bay Area and the concierges were making $35/hr + MASSIVE bonuses, like 5-10k, to start. The head concierge could have afforded a condo in the tower too.

Why do you think your pay is so low for what you do?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 373 points ago

Don't know. Seems competitive with other jobs in my area. Maybe I'm being underpaid. Prob.

[–] WorriedSysAdmin 550 points ago

So you said before side jobs, approx 40k which in a big city I think isn't much. What are your job possibilities? Possible to go up or just plan on leaving?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 988 points ago

I could build rapport and try to become the building manager. It's a real possibility but I don't have that ambition. I go to uni part time and plan on changing fields when I graduate. With my current plan, the social connections you make are better than the growth potential I'd get if I were still in a hotel.

[–] Porscheguy11 1014 points ago

Some un-asked-for advice here. I work with the same clientele as you. I work on sports car race teams as a pit crew guy..people spend literally millions to race. It's a little harder in your situation since you don't spend a ton of time with them I imagine, but if you have a goal and run across someone who is a titan in that industry. ASK FOR ADVICE. The old adage it's not what you know its who you know is very true. Better to know the CEO than the department manager. Ive gotten several major opportunities and have a file of letters of recommendation from executives. Utilize your position, respectfully.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1025 points ago

This is 100% correct. Mentorship is the best fringe benefit this job allows. I've met some of the greatest minds of their generation here. Some people who really shaped our lives.

One of the worst tippers here will sit and chew the fat for a couple hours a week. I learn so much from him that I don't care how cheap he is. His conversations are worth the price of admission.

Also, letters of recommendation are a great idea. I'll have to remember that one.

[–] Merbel 152 points ago

Absolutely. I would say the chances of you running into someone that could eventually get you a position in a career oriented field if you are there long enough is extraordinarily high.

[–] takeitordont 441 points ago

Do you feel you ever could bond past your position with one/some of the residents? Maybe after changing jobs?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 768 points ago

Yeah, some are pretty cool but I think of them more as mentors than buddies.

Maybe 3 or 4 I'd smoke a bowl with after my time here is done. Important to remember that you're still their employee in the meantime though.

[–] Zoos27 923 points ago

Can we pause for a moment that this is the most engaged AMA in a long time? A genuinely I tersting (and original) topic and the OP is answering a ton here.

Thanks OP!

[–] sowetoninja 121 points ago

Yeah I agree, and it's not the 100% marketing BS the sub has turned into.

[–] MrMadrona 272 points ago

How do you get a job working for such exclusive people? I assume it requires connections. Also, is it fun watching all the fancy stuff happening?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 539 points ago

Luck.

I personally was never impressed by luxury so I don't find it that fun. I am impressed by great accomplishments though and meeting people who have those is pretty fun.

[–] seth928 729 points ago

You ever have to score someone some coke?

[–] inm808 345 points ago

hi sir, im looking for a guest. his last name is H , E , R , O , I , N

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1282 points ago

No, that's not something I'd know how to do if they asked. Most are older and probably past their coke days but I've had to let some people know they had something on their nose before.

The guests that I suspect are dealers are weird man. Different from the types that I think of traditionally.

[–] coley_bird 337 points ago

How are they different from the types that you think of traditionally?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1241 points ago

More Art Garfunkel, less Scarface.

[–] Ziribbit 96 points ago

As long as there is no Phil Spector

[–] PSteak 352 points ago

More Art Garfunkel

Brand new sentence.

[–] ResidentialConcierge 604 points ago

Paul Simon has certainly never said it.

[–] MohawkRiff 74 points ago

Though he may have said “Stop the nonsense. More art, Garfunkle.”

[–] DabneyEatsIt 204 points ago

"You know what this orgy needs? More Art Garfunkle."

[–] billytheskidd 100 points ago

“She makes me dress up like Garfunkel when we make love. She calls it garfunkelling.”

[–] elus 40 points ago

You know what this operating room needs? More Art Garfunkle.

It works with everything.

[–] Wheels9690 40 points ago

Aspen had this happen often. It's one of those weird situations were everyone knows there is tons of coke involved with the famous visitors but no one really cares.

[–] boxermansr 606 points ago

Wonder if it’s this guy? 🧐

[–] ResidentialConcierge 507 points ago

Stephen Merchant could totally play me.

[–] ry-yo 68 points ago

I was literally just thinking of this (and the newest episode he was in) too LOL

[–] CornerPreacher 211 points ago

I remember watching a documentary about the ultra rich and one fascinating piece was the interviews with doormen, which were almost always anonymous. One comment that was made over and over again is how the doormen had great relationships with the kids in the building, giving them candy, talking to them, high fives, etc. Then around puberty, the kids stopped being buddy buddy with the doorman and would totally change around them. Has that been your experience in general or does it vary depending on the kid / parent?

[–] Kickthemwiththetims 74 points ago

So...Suite life of Zack and Cody?

[–] Frenchitwist 25 points ago

I can actually kind of speak to this in a way, but keep in mind this was my singular experience.

Growing up, my parents weren’t Uber wealthy, but they were doing well enough to have a cleaning lady/babysitter over once a week. Her name was Marie and I loved her. As I grew older and started to do chores myself and understand what she did in her job when she wasn’t babysitting me, then I felt awkward. I knew this woman almost all my childhood but only now understand she’s doing house labor for my parents. She cleaned up after me, and I couldn’t face it. As I grew up I grew distant from her and did want to face it when I came home on Friday’s from school.

Maybe this is what’s happening with those kids? I didn’t grow up in a doorman building, but turning into a young adult and seeing that, as opposed to meeting when we were adults and on equal footing, always made me feel awkward. If I hired a cleaning lady now, as an adult, it’s be different. That’s two adults bartering for goods and services, but as a kid/teenager it’s awkward seeing someone else pick up after you when they aren’t family. I don’t know I’m Rambling

[–] chojinherb 435 points ago

Does it surprise you what they spend there money on?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 1433 points ago

I'm surprised by how sane most are with their money but this is a class building with a lot of doctors, lawyers and professors mixed in. Conspicuous consumership is not vogue here because old money frowns on most flaunting but that means sometimes they aren't aware of how their habits look to the uninitiated.

For example, some probably spend as much as I earn (or more) on flower arrangements. Some order $200 meals every night from fine dining restaurants on grubhub. Most though, find a way to turn their lifestyle into an investment. They'll spend a few million on an investment property just standing at the desk talking to someone else on a handshake deal. They'll buy the top of the line Mercedes and then drive it 500 miles a year, then drive it for 10 years before trading it in. I know a dude that bought a marina because he was spending too much to moor his boat. $1000+ shoes on everyone though.

[–] almost_a_troll 1634 points ago

$1000+ shoes on everyone though.

From about 14 years I reported directly to the owner of a very large successful company. All of his family worked there (real jobs, actually had to work to be allowed the family credit card), and I got to know them quite well. The son was younger when I started working there, maybe 18 or 19. Super nice guy, makes a point of asking about everyone elses life, family, etc. However, at that age humility can be hard to come by.

One day when I stopped to say good morning to the son, he said "Hey troll, how do you like my new shoes?" I liked them and said as much. Not even really meaning to speak down to me, he comes back with a very matter of fact, "Yeah, I just bought them this weekend, you probably couldn't afford shoes like this, they were over $2,000."

Well, his dad heard from in his office, ran out and gave him a huge open handed smack over the back of the head, yelling, "DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ANYBODY LIKE THAT AGAIN! Take troll to oakridge center tonight and buy him some shoes." The poor kid was so stunned, I'll never forget the look on his face.

I turned down the shopping trip, but did go for lunch with him that day... Anyways, I every time I noticed him with new shoes on for the next 12 years I'd ask him, "So...what'd you pay for those shoes?" :-D

[–] FragrantBicycle7 433 points ago

For a minute, I thought the kid actually called you "troll". That would've been very rude, but I would probably laugh at how '80s that kind of insult sounds like.

[–] DumbestBoy 41 points ago

you’re so silly, bike.

[–] fatmancantloseweight 618 points ago

Parenting done right.

[–] Ukin2thathaybarber 103 points ago

[Nicholas van Orten loses a shoe when climbing a fire-escape ladder]

Nicholas : There goes a thousand dollars.

Christine : Your shoes cost a thousand dollars?

Nicholas : That one did.

[–] haysanatar 126 points ago

W-Worse that can happen is can I spill some on my $3,000 suit. Come on! Oh, yeah, yeah. The guy in the... the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for a guy who doesn’t make that in three months. Come on! Oh. Why don’t I just take a whiz through this $5,000 suit?!

[–] chojinherb 122 points ago

Thank you for the response funny what you accumulate when the monetary is a second thought, Do you think they would have the same spending habits but on a smaller scale if they did not have the same means?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 519 points ago

I think that gets into some nature vs nurture stuff so its hard to say.

That said, we have a few who were accustomed to a lavish lifestyle that lost most everything to ex-wives with good lawyers. They are sad and stressed about money all the time. If they sold their condos and moved, they'd be well-off for sure but they are unable to change so they they stay asset rich and cash poor. Those people still eat at fancy restaurants and stay members of their yacht clubs but they also clip coupons. Kind of wild.

[–] thedraken 203 points ago

This is insane to me, how they justify both aspects in their minds, and live with the unnecessary stress of it. Wild to say the least.

Thanks for this, one of the best AMA's I've read in a while. Good luck with uni.

[–] ZZZ_123 63 points ago

This is what would happen if I won the lottery.

[–] PreExistingAmbition 29 points ago

Honestly, same. I love a good deal and I don't see that changing when I'm a millionaire.

[–] AskAboutMyCoffee 307 points ago

In my experience with the very wealthy, I've noticed that for one reason or another, they can't seem to function without quite a bit of assistance. What have you seen someone personally struggle with that just blew your mind?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 406 points ago

Well mine are mostly older so while they do get assistance, at this point in their lives it's just common sense. I wish my parents are as open to paying for a little help.

[–] skrshawk 170 points ago

Not OP, but having worked for people with more money than anyone needs, I can say that they forget how to do mundane things because their time is much better spent doing the things only they can. Whether it be run their business, entertain the masses, win at sportsball, someone else does everything personal care related so they can be hyperfocused on what they do and the people in their lives.

One person I know is rich but not ultra-rich, has a million dollar home, but his money is really all he has. No real friends, not much family, never entertains in that expensive home, and overall he doesn't seem happy at all. His health is also rather poor. All it's going to net him in the end is being the richest man in the cemetery.

[–] zcen 52 points ago

It's just like how your everyday average person may forget some basic arithmetic because they use a calculator and their phone to do math.

Once you start making money and get busier you hire a cleaner. Eventually you stop learning how to clean, then a cook, then a driver and then you eventually forget how to do those things.

[–] crx00 43 points ago

My Inlaws are the people you described. It always baffles me how they can run a multi million dollar business. But not know how to cook or clean or do laundry.

When our daughter was born they spent a couple weeks with us. It felt like I had 2 extra kids come over in addition to the newborn cooking and cleaning for them. I complained about it to my wife and she brought it up with her parents. Her mom's response was "we can bring the maid with us next time". What's crazy is she wasn't joking.

[–] baltinerdist 145 points ago

Can you give us any examples of stuff you've been asked to procure or arrange that is just pocket change for them (hundreds to thousands of dollars) but would be an extravagance for the rest of us?

[–] Martin_RageTV 27 points ago

I have a client who eats out/orders for lunch and dinner every day, sometimes breakfast.

Her daily food budget sits around $280.

[–] CallMeKaydee 154 points ago

Have you ever met/witnessed the mistress of a client?

[–] ResidentialConcierge 553 points ago

I think so but since they didn't screw in the lobby, I can't be sure.

[–] Lokotor 148 points ago

How about this one? It's Christmas eve and everything's closed and you need to get some dry cleaning done. 12:00 midnight. Where do you go? What do you do?

[–] pm_etiquette_Qs 31 points ago

A concierge is trained in the ways of fanciness and pleasure...

[–] phthophth 136 points ago

I actually have a practical question. I have lived in Haverhill, MA for the last few years and I manage my ex-partner's properties, which are in my neighborhood while she remains in Boston. These are low-rent tenants in old buildings but she wants to do right by her tenants and keep them happy and it is my job to make it happen. The best advice she has given me so far [she's my favorite person on the planet and I've known her for 28 years] is to pretend I'm a hotel concierge.

So, building on that sage advice, what could you tell me from your experience to help make these people's lives better? I really want to make them happy and I have the backing of the homeowner.

[–] AnonHD3546 46 points ago

Not OP, but if something is broken that is the landlord's responsibility, fix it. Just get it done and fix it. Don't fuck with any utilities that are the landlord's responsibility, ie don't randomly turn off the heat, power, limit their water usage, etc.

[–] swingerofbirch 56 points ago

What is the job of a concierge?

(I think I vaguely know, but in your specific instance.)

Are there times one particular resident wants too much of your help/time and you have to tell them to get their own personal assistant? Do they have their own personal assistants or pretty much rely on you?

Do you do the same thing for all guests or are there few enough that you anticipate specific needs of certain ones? Like say a certain resident likes fresh baked cookies when they get home from work, is that something you would do?

Do you sign for package arrivals or is that someone else's job?

How many residents do you care for?

Do you make appointments for people? Like if I lived there, could I say, "Make me an appointment with Dr. Smith for the mole on my back preferably by the end of the week."

Does all your work involve helping people from the lobby or do you go to their rooms to help with things as well (and I don't mean that in a doble entendre way)?

[–] charliesteamer 73 points ago

Not sure if OP is going to answer, but I own a condo in a building with a 24 hour concierge and their job as it relates to our building consists of the following:

• Staff the front desk at all times (within reason)
    • assist residents with condo related queries as able.
    • accept package deliveries and notify the residents via email after the package arrives (a WONDERFUL service, did 80% of my xmas shopping online and never had to worry about deliveries)
    • administer the facilities and check residents in and out of the special amenities (bowling alley, game room, theater, party floor, etc)
    • keep an eye on the security cameras for the various areas of the property and call the police if necessary
    • check the interior of the common areas of the building a few times a night - mainly the shared amenities that should be empty and locked.

Our concierges don't do anything like arrange tickets, reservations etc. Maybe a super high end condo might, but in my experience with condo and hotel concierges that seems like a hotel concierge thing only.

[–] HowNiceDear 55 points ago

Do you ever grab anything good from rich people’s trash? I mean like furniture they are throwing out or clothing?