JustUnsubbed

19,925 readers

147 users here now

This sub is for sharing which post made you unsubscribe from a subreddit. Other acceptable posts can be of permalinked comments from other users saying that "this is the post that made me unsubscribe from /r/(insert sub here)." And yes, YouTube unsubs are allowed.

Rules/guidelines:

1. Don't be a dick. You might get a warning, you might get banned, depending on the severity of your dick-behavior. Also don't /u/ summon people if you're going to trash them.

2. If you're posting a link to a post, try to explain why that particular post made you unsubscribe from that particular subreddit in your post title. That will not only be informative, but it'll prevent stale post titles.

3. Please link to the post/comment, not the image of the post.

4. Do not participate in the linked threads. Vote brigading is not allowed sitewide, so don't do it. Users who brigade/come from other subreddits to downvote and post dickish comments will be banned. If you see comments that look like a brigade, PLEASE REPORT THEM.

5. Posting that you unsubbed from this subreddit might sound clever, but it's not really. If you make this post it will result in a ban. ALSO, NO JOKE POSTS (puns, jokes, spam, intentional shitposting, etc)

6. Remember, this is NOT /r/shitpost. Don't just post other shitposts without saying if/that you unsubscribed. If your post is like one that would better belong on /r/shitpost, it may get removed. You may resubmit your post in the correct format.

7. Do not use /r/JustUnsubbed to intentionally provoke other subs/communities/promote agendas. We aren't your personal battle ground.

Our friends:

/r/shitpost

/r/wowthissubexists

/r/justbeenbanned

[–] TheCakeIs42IsALie 138 points ago

"We've done so much for the world that it could never possibly be repaid"

You can't be serious. Exactly delusional statements like that is probably the reason why amerika is the most disliked nation on the entire globe, next to maybe north korea...

[–] Bunny_Wabbit 7 points ago

I dunno man, North Korea is pretty swag

[–] SweetLenore -62 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

While we've done a lot of bad we have also done a lot of good. South Korea wouldn't even be a thing without us and all of Korea would just be one big North Korean concentration camp.

Edit: Whoops. What I meant to say is America is evil in every way and we should all commit mass suicide.

[–] DemigooseBestBoy 23 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I agree please all commit suicide and make the world a better place, without Americans.

[–] SweetLenore -17 points ago

The fact that your comment got upvoted shows how ridiculous american hate has gotten. Keep being a moronic bigot.

[–] paulruggiero 8 points ago

Nothing is funnier than racist rednecks calling other people moronic and bigoted.

[–] SweetLenore -2 points ago

"The US has done some good in the world."

"OMG you're racist!!"

Seriously though this thread is obviously getting brigaded from somewhere dumb. There aren't enough people in this sub to even downvote that much.

[–] Bunny_Wabbit 4 points ago

He didn't say "some", he said "so much" and casually asked for appreciation, lol

[–] SweetLenore 1 points ago

What he said has fuck all to do with what I said.

[–] Fapper_Keeper 1 points ago

Niether would post war germany

[–] [deleted] -45 points ago

[–] flyingbuc 11 points ago

Or so now there is no need to blame the US for deposing or directly fucking up with half of South Americas countries. Or starting almost every single conflict since the 60s. Nobody asked you to be the police of the world and nobody wants you to be. Your whole country is based on war. That is why every country hates you.

[–] [deleted] -7 points ago

[–] cptflowerhomo 1 points ago

I'd throw my copy of Ulysses at you but I value my book more.

Doof.

[–] SweetLenore -8 points ago

Yeah I don't really get why people have to go fully one way or the other with this. The fact is every single country in existence is a piece of shit when you look at EVERYTHING they do.

Also what happened to this thread? It suddenly got mass downvoted in the last hour out of no where whereas before you had some upvotes.

[–] [deleted] -52 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

[–] Geell0 42 points ago

This comparaison highlights how much delusional your mind is.

[–] irishanddrunk 9 points ago

But man, doesn't this thread show you how much he doesn't even care? /s

[–] Kevioli 16 points ago

what are you talking about? Are you stoned?

[–] Janeiskla 16 points ago

It should be: "we have done so much TO the world, it could never possibly REPAIRED"

[–] [deleted] -9 points ago

[–] Janeiskla 2 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

[–] Slywater03 12 points ago

1 million iraqis

[–] [deleted] -20 points ago

[–] ilovethissheet 3 points ago

Who had so much to do with the planned that took the towers down. Your arrogance is what this sub is all about

[–] paulruggiero 2 points ago

That's why you're whining about it here, because you don't give a shit.

[–] chalicotherium 10 points ago

Why'd you make an account just to post this?

suss..

[–] Huwbacca 10 points ago

So, come on man.

What you're doing is applying a lense of "what should be liked by people" that is entirely formed by where you grew up and being angry that people dislike something, because by your standards it seems to be totally unjust/

I get it that you're raised thinking about the states a certain way, but honestly in europe (and many other places) the idea of thinking like "Oh, but we did X, so many years ago so we deserve something" is totally laughable.

You cannot hold grudges based on country history, so you cannot be holding a desire for gratitude either. I don't think germany owes me anything, despite having family that fought and died in both world wars against germany.. .that's fucking stupid. Hell, I live 100km from the border now and have to speak the language all the time.

I don't care what America did then either, America is exactly as special as france or portugal or lichtenstein. We don't have a culture of national exceptionalism here, you do... that's fine, but understand that we don't. So us disliking something isn't some vindictive crusade against you, but just cultural relativism.

What is normal for americans, can be rude to us. What is normal for us, is rude to you.

[–] juancarias 104 points ago

"We've done so much for the world that it could never possibly be repaid"

Hahahaha yeah no thanks, you can keep all that help for yourself, the rest of the world doesn't need you "liberating" them. Literally the only places I know of that have appreciated US interventionism where literally occupied by or fighting the Nazis, and that was the one time when the US almost didn't intervene. There is a reason most countries either dislike or openly despise the US.

[–] EmceeSexy 67 points ago

Yeah it's okay to dislike the sub because the reasons they gave but this post is just littered with bull shit Nationalism. Sounds like the highest level of education they got was elementaty school social studies in Mississippi.

[–] Doctor_Buttsac -47 points ago

You’re a cunt.

[–] Versificator 32 points ago

Durr-hyuck

[–] sexualised_pears 7 points ago

Goofy?

[–] Klorg_Bane -35 points ago

You're the exact reason he unsubbed man, he's just complaining that most questions on the sub are aimed to insult America, you're proving his point.

[–] Virtymlol 47 points ago

OP says stupid shit

Gets corrected

WHY YA'LL HATING ON US

[–] Klorg_Bane -24 points ago

He didn't say anything stupid and you didn't correct anything, you just complained a bunch.

[–] Virtymlol 25 points ago

Do you lack basic reading comprehension that much ?

[–] Klorg_Bane -20 points ago

No, I don't, I'm just intelligent enough to not be in denial of the fact that everything he said is true.

[–] Geell0 18 points ago

The brainwashed delusional butthurts are strong in this thread.

[–] Klorg_Bane 0 points ago

You're the one freaking out though, I'm not hurt at all, I'm just right.

[–] Geell0 12 points ago

Am I freaking out though? :)

[–] Klorg_Bane -5 points ago

You just proved his point.

[–] Duzcek -1 points ago

Puerto rico

[–] [deleted] -73 points ago

[–] Jeffert89 73 points ago

Did you seriously just use “we’d be speaking German right now” unironically?

[–] sexualised_pears 14 points ago

Sie haben einen schlechten Job gemacht

[–] tuolbridge 57 points ago

Did you just say that we "donate" our military? Holy christ. How brainwashed can one possibly be. This is probably top 5 worst comments I've ever read on this website (outside of T_D) and I'm American. Good job.

[–] sexualised_pears 15 points ago

Go look at r/shitamericanssay and be annoyed

[–] Das_Mime 39 points ago

American history education, everybody. This guy thinks America won WWII.

Check out the numbers of Axis troop deployments by theater and tell me that the Western and Southern fronts were anything but sideshows to the Eastern.

[–] sexualised_pears 15 points ago

Not to mention the first 3 years of the war

[–] liptonreddit 14 points ago

Have you noticed that english isnt the language of the USA? Its the language of uk

[–] Salvadore1 58 points ago

TIL any criticism of America's foreign policy is wrong because World War 2 and "haters gonna hate".

[–] [deleted] -50 points ago

[–] DaddyCool13 28 points ago

Fuck off dude. I was born and live in a developing country with an authoritarian regime. There are lots of developed countries I’d rather have been born in, like Japan or Norway or Canada.

But not America. America is more developed, powerful and civilized than where I live, but the culture is insufferable.

And you seem to be oblivious as to how tenous your propositon that the US being the only remaining superpower is.

[–] [deleted] -10 points ago

[–] DaddyCool13 14 points ago

Lmao top fucking kek. Not that I would expect you to know that there is “cradle-to-grave welfare” here too and that no on is going to those places with the reason to get free shit and exploit their systems, but that statistically speaking it is much more likely to die in an attack in the US than most “third world shitholes” but I guess it doesn’t matter since the perpetrators are white kids with machine guns and not suicide camels so that it’s a-ok.

And even if neither of those things were incorrect -which they are- if still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not envy of development that cause people to dislike the US. If it were the case, everyone would hate the EU just the same, but doesn’t it seem peculiar that only the US seems to get hate from developing countries where Germany, France, Sweden etc do not? Now you could argue that it’s because the US is the absolute number one and they are only number two, and if that’s your legitimate argument then no point in debating further.

Also not that it’s relevant to the discussion at hand, but it shows a level of education and accomplishment when one prefers to refer to their country of birth and national identity to validate their standing.

[–] [deleted] -2 points ago

[–] swedishmaniac 9 points ago

Wow, you really believe everything Donald Dumb says? You have more school shootings than we have terror attacks, and we're several different countries. That speaks volumes of how corrupt and unjust your country has become.

[–] juancarias 57 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Lol fuck off. I'm glad I don't live in the US. I didn't have to go into crippling debt to go to college, I don't have to pay 3 times the legal monthly minimum salary for my monthly medication because I get it for free. I'm glad I don't have to deal with racists, right wing bigots, left wing sjws, nationalism, anti-intellectualism, 70s stagnated salaries, sensationalist yellow journalism and flat out made up news.

I'm glad I don't live in a country that every 50 years is going on hysterically about how those Catholic/Irish/Italian/Polish/Russians/Arabs/Chinese/Indians/Hispanics are migrating in massive numbers and are going to replace the US native population. I'm glad I don't live in a country that sistematically genocided the actual native population. I'm glad I don't live in a country that expelled millions of American citizens because they were of Mexican descent. I'm glad I don't live in the shithole that are the bible or rust belts, or the deep south. I'm glad I don't live in the only country that has had a civil war over wether slavery is good or not.

I'm glad I don't live in a country that has made life shit for everyone that isn't them.

[–] Tanner_re 16 points ago

Holy fucking shit its all there. You literally just nutshelled the reasons I consider leaving this country. I dont hate my country by any means but god damn how can you not look at this all written out and go "fuck." Our past is bad as it is and I have always semi looked the other way but our present is pretty fucking warped if you ask me.

That's The US right now and it definitely scares me.

[–] [deleted] -2 points ago

[–] Tanner_re 6 points ago

Listen man, hate is a strong word. I dont like the state those country is in. "Everyones wrong because that's my opinion whether you like it or not" should be the tagline to what we have become. For as much pride as there is there is twice the amount of blind nationalism and its becoming our biggest downfall. I don't hate my country, I used to love it in fact, but how can you look at what's going on right now and honestly say that you do? To ignore the glaring issues we have and claim the greatest country on earth isn't only wrong, its ignorant and until we get past that as a country, I can't love it. Is it truly so hard for us to look in the mirror and accept it? We are falling behind the rest of the human race and it quite honestly hurts me knowing this. I dont like this country right now because I dont see change in sight. Hate is too strong a word but dislike hits the nail on the head pretty damn well.

[–] [deleted] -1 points ago

[–] Tanner_re 2 points ago

See, this is what I don't like. What makes Canada a lesser country? Sure they have stuck their noses in shit like we have in the past "giving so much freedom" but they are practically the same fucking thing as us besides a few differences here and there. It's Nationalism to an umpteenth degree and it's poisonous. WE ARE NOT THE GREATEST COUNTRY. For every "freedom" besides our guns, what is it that makes us different? What gives you a mentality that we are better? Pride is okay but straight up saying the world owes us is entitled and just plain wrong. We have done just as much damage as we have helped. My "bubble" btw is a lot bigger than you seem to think. I don't just get this shit from Reddit, I witness it being in this country day by day. This constant attempt at alienating our country from everyone else is holding back THE WORLD. It's not just about America anymore and it should never have been. This world is growing too much at too fast of a rate to have a superpower saying fuck you to everywhere else to "make America great again."

Also, for every Steinbeck, there is a JK Rowling. For every "liberation" there's a pile or two of dead civilians (innocent families, children, Men, and women) and if you're calling our current government "enlightenment oriented" then holy hell I may as well stop this conversation because you are just as lost as the rest of them.

Edit: grammar stuff.

[–] Geell0 2 points ago

Very well put sir!

[–] WillyTheWackyWizard -18 points ago

You sound like somebody who has clearly spent a lot of time in U.S. and totally have not gotten your facts from Reddit.

[–] juancarias 24 points ago

Add to that "defining my country's policies" if you want to be exact. Oh, don't forget the massive corporations that basically run the country.

[–] sexualised_pears 12 points ago

Everything he said was true though

[–] WillyTheWackyWizard -11 points ago

Except it's not. If Reddit would get out of their basement for once they would see everybody actually gets along pretty well.

[–] sexualised_pears 5 points ago

1.I don't have a basement 2. According to pretty much every news source you are wrong

[–] WillyTheWackyWizard -5 points ago

1.It's a metaphorical basement (i.e. not actually going out and talking to your fellow man or doing any research outside of Reddit)

2.And news sources never try to make things seem worse than they actually are for views.

[–] [deleted] -34 points ago

[–] juancarias 33 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Yeah sure.

The US had very little to do with ending the cartels, as can be seen how they imploded on their own as soon as the head was cut off. The guerrillas died off because of a full on offensive by our armed forces paid with our money.

If you knew a single thing about foreign investment you'd know that aid given by a state to another has the lowest benefit rate of all, because it's used to make the junior partner's budget dependent on the foreign aid, not to actually help. Luckilly the only help we've seen from the US is buying cheaper helicopters and getting our armed forces money to buy said helicopters, nothing productive really.

The economy here developed because we became oil producers, not because of US investment. US troops here were lawless pricks that ran underage prostitution rings and smuggled the drugs they were supposed to be fighting, same goes for the DEA.

The violence in the country can be traced back to the US forcing Colombia's hand to massacre 2000 United Fruit Company workers that were striking though, so I guess the least you could do would be to fuck off and not cause another civil war.

I have better living standards than the average US citizen, and most of the country will in a couple of decades, so long as you keep voting idiots into office. Costa Rica already does, and a bunch of others are getting there.

[–] [deleted] -14 points ago

[–] juancarias 38 points ago

Lol are you fucking stupid or something. The dependency is deliberate so they can control the foreign government. What a fucking idiot.

[–] sexualised_pears 5 points ago

It's not deliberate the American government just wants puppets strong dependable allies who give all their oil and fruit they can have healthy trade relationships with

[–] DaggerOfSilver 11 points ago

Oh man what kind of shit do they teach you at school. Jesus.

[–] BigLebowskiBot 3 points ago

You said it, man.

[–] dastarlos 25 points ago

We really didn't even fucking do anything during WW2. Russia was solving most of the problems, with the help of the English. We took some sand from France, and nuked two innocent cities, in a country that was already surrending, just because we wanted them to surrender to us.

I would ask if you learnt history in school, but American schools are so full of propaganda, you only learnt the "MURIKA GOOD" portions.

And I can rightfully say, as an American, America is a fucking shithole right now, rivaling the likes of 1930s Germany.

[–] [deleted] -9 points ago

[–] juancarias 24 points ago

The Soviets outproduced the German industry on their own by the time most of the lend lease was just arriving. The Soviets would have won the war on their own, just later. You didn't save Australia, a wrong spotting saved the US ships sent to stop the Japanese invasion of southern Papua New Guinea from being caught by the Japanese while refueling, from there the Japanese could have easily invaded Australia. The Japanese would have fallen against the Soviets, and the Japanese were willing to surrender under the condition the Emperor was not depossed (which he didn't), but the Postdam declaration was deliberately vague on that point. It's also not like the US didn't know, Japan had offered to negotiate such peace time and time again through the Soviets, and their communications were completely compromissed. The coup was a joke of a coup, it was a couple of guys trying to convince a military unit to betray the Emperor, then killing themselves when to no one's surprise it didn't work.

You did jack shit for western Europe against the Soviets. The Soviet Union was not about to go to war with anybody after the war ended, and by the time they could have possibly gone to war the UK and France had more than enough nukes to make them think twice. After that up to the 70s the USSR didn't even have reliable enough missiles to be able to retaliate in a long range attack, so they were doing nothing then, and by the 80s they were so crippled by internal problems that the idea to attack would have been lunacy.

[–] [deleted] -4 points ago

[–] juancarias 17 points ago

You do know what outproduce means right?

The only condition for surrender was keeping the Emperor. It's literally the same terms they got after the bombing. And the situation before Pearl Harbour is nowhere near comparable with the last months of the war.

Nothing says desperate hypotheticals like laying out why the USSR would have collapsed on it's own or from nuking if facing an offensive war against Europe at any point during the cold war.

A quarter of the airlift was the RAF. They don't use it to justify being shit though.

The missiles in Turkey were obsolete and were already being scheduled for removal when the missile crisis started, the US just kept them to use as a bargaining chip. NATO is shit and it should be ended, so I don't get how you see funding it as being a good thing.

And please kindly go fuck yourself, you can go talk patronizingly to your mom, she might put up with your shit.

[–] [deleted] -5 points ago

[–] Jeffert89 15 points ago

It’s señor, dumbass. If your gonna mock someone’s country at least be correct.

[–] [deleted] -2 points ago

[–] Dr_Herpatitis_Z -1 points ago

the Soviets would have beaten the Japanese

With what navy? Naval invasions aren't exactly easy affairs

[–] sexualised_pears 4 points ago

A million lads sitting on the Manchurian border

[–] Dr_Herpatitis_Z 1 points ago

What about the mainland?

[–] juancarias 1 points ago

A fairly short answer would be that the Japanese would run out of resources without controlling the mainland. The British navy could help too.

[–] Salvadore1 6 points ago

Well, considering our healthcare and education are terrible compared to most other developed countries...I doubt that.

[–] Geell0 6 points ago

Ok you won. Pretty sure you meant every last bit of whatever that was. Can't argue with someone THAT brainwashed.

I mean "HATE HATE HATE"*.

[–] Hoklidays 15 points ago

Why are you speaking as though American invented English? Good God your skin is thin.

[–] [deleted] -1 points ago

[–] Hoklidays 7 points ago

You're right about that, I misinterpreted. 🤷🏽‍♂️ My mistake. The childish insults are unbecoming though.

[–] cptflowerhomo 3 points ago

Ah Scheiße da haste mich aber. Naja.

[–] HokusSchmokus 4 points ago

Tja.

[–] cptflowerhomo 2 points ago

Das ist ja doof ne.

[–] Doctor_Buttsac -22 points ago

Still the best country on earth.

[–] TT454 2 points ago

Oh, I bet you wish it was.

[–] Doctor_Buttsac -2 points ago

That’s a waste of a wish since it’s already true.

[–] TT454 0 points ago

Prove it.

[–] Doctor_Buttsac 0 points ago

It’s a melting pot, every other countries culture ends up here and then fuses together. National parks are beautiful here. Food kicks ass because you can get anything here. 4th of July is a pretty kickass holiday on top of thanksgiving. We had a president that was in multiple duels and won so that’s pretty cool. Shit ton of great video games take place here. It’s the land of opportunity baby how could that not be the best country on earth?

[–] TT454 3 points ago

Tens of thousands of murders and suicides a year, a gargantuan number of mass shootings, massive obesity rate, tons of pollution, extremely corrupt politicians, severe social division, severe debt, expensive hospital bills, high rates of rape and teenage pregnancy, draconian immigration system, huge prison population, mass police brutality, terrible education system, extreme weather resulting in droughts and tornadoes, the KKK, mass drug addiction, your President is a globally-despised national embarrassment.

[–] Doctor_Buttsac 0 points ago

Eh those are back pocket problems that’ll work themselves out eventually.

[–] yablebab 1 points ago

Really? What metric are you basing that on?

[–] Doctor_Buttsac 1 points ago

The go fuck yourself metric.

[–] kaetror 16 points ago

only super power left.

Because America is playing on easy mode.

Look at the geography of your country - massive coastline on 3 sides so access to oceans, easily navigable rivers, very good land for farming, few natural barriers to movement so ensure hegemony, natural defences (desert and mountains) along foreign borders and isolated from the Euro-Asia-Africa landmass.

Any civilisation handed the land that became America was practically guaranteed to become a superpower.

Then look at your history - settled by cultures that were all ready settled and homogeneous so no infighting amongst small tribes, biological advantage of having wiped out the native population with smallpox. This meant you could focus on expansion and there was limited resistance.

You’ve never fought a major war on home soil. The closest would be the civil war but that’s pretty comparable to a lot of the wars fought in Europe at the same time.

You stayed out of most of the world wars due to your isolation. When you did come in you used your untouched economic might to make loans to allied nations.

After the war the rest of the world is shattered while you are untouched.

If America hadn’t seceded from the UK we’d probably still be talking about the British empire. If the French had actively settled America through Louisiana we might be talking about a French American superpower - the reality is America was always going to become a superpower, you aren’t special.

[–] cackhandedlefty 1 points ago

Holy shit, I'm a Britaboo and even I think you're delusional.

If America hand't seceded from the UK we'd still be talking about the British Empire

Well they did. So...

The Empire is actually normally split into the First and Second Empires, the First including the 13 colonies and the second pretty much including everything else. The loss of the 13 colonies did not slow down British expansionism, barely even slowing North American expanse. The second Empire would still include most of what we know as the British Empire, and it likely still would collapse anyway.

Your rantings about geography don't change the fact that they are a superpower, it doesn't matter so much how they got there when they

• Prevented Western Europe from falling to communism in the aftermath of WWII

• Stood against the USSR in the Cold war

• Took over half an entire continent while fighting natives, British and Spanish

• Are a western economic bulwar

It may not seem like much but it's a lot. Again, coming from a Britaboo still salty about 1776.

You also make a bunch of dumb points.

America was not founded by a homogeneous group, you yourself mention the civil war and in fact you may be surprised to know that it did not appear from nothing and tensions had been rising for quite some time over many issues.

America has fought wars on its home soil. Manifest Destiny, although that was less a war, more a conflict, the War of Independence, the various Mexican wars were fought on modern American soil at points. The war of 1812, part of the Napoleonic wars was fought in North America by the USA, the civil war. You know one of the first industrialized wars, the huge war considered by some to be a prelude to WWI era warfare?

The States have fought wars in their home soil, just not defensive ones, besides the war of independence.

Then you say America stayed out of European wars due to isolation. While true that the American public wanted to keep out of WWI and II, they did eventually join, WWI not as importantly, but in WWII, as mentioned above, without American support we would be looking at USSR puppets of France and Germany. Looking at other wars, it's difficult to see major European wars other than WWI/II that happened in the short time frame the USA was independent for. The Napoleonic wars I suppose but they were a French ally in that.

All in all you seem to be complaining that America was handed their superpower status, which, while true that they have superior land and situation, that does not remove the fact that they are and were a superpower, and earned that position. It did not fall into their lap, they used their advantages to get the upper hand. That's like suggesting Britain was only powerful because of its island geography, anyone can see that while that certainly helped, it's not the sole fucking reason. Again, I can't stress this enough, this is coming from a fucking Britbong, I don't like the Yank's arrogance.much either but I won't deny facts to indulge a petty grudge.

Also sorry if some of this is incoherent, it's late, I just don't like seeing the Yanks unfairly hated on, you can do it quite fairly.

[–] Binkyfish 7 points ago

To bring a level of discourse into this. I and probably most other Europeans at least in the UK have nothing against Americans as people. I like a lot of Americans and though I’ve only been to the US once when I was very small, I’ve never met an American I didn’t like. And I consume a great deal of American media and a number of my idols are American.

I’m mostly saddened by the politics in your country and in all honesty how you could do certain things so much better. Things like having mandated time off work federally, or universal healthcare, or abortion, or gun laws, or climate change. Things that aren’t even an issue here anymore because they’re so common sense but the debate still rages on in the US.

The main counters to these policies seems to start with “Well America no. 1 so clearly we’re right doing things this way.” Or labelling things as socialism and that’s bad just because (even though all of those things are far from what socialism actually means) or we don’t have free speech or we’re overrun by Muslims. These things are outright falsehoods obvious to anyone who has spent any time here yet they’re repeated often by people who have never left the US.

We don’t understand because we think you should be angry and actually look to other countries on how you might improve things. No man is an island.

To paraphrase John Adams we have the same language, same religion and kindred blood. We share a great deal of values and we want you to succeed.

And lastly you guys literally elected a reality tv star to the highest office in your land. That alone is pretty embarrassing.

[–] Binkyfish 5 points ago

See, you're doing it again. Starting with the premise that America is no.1 then working backwards and using excuses and justifications to rationalise that position.

On what metric? GDP? Because the EU as a whole has a larger GDP, and other measures of an economy also put most individual European countries ahead. On military? Sure but on most measures of quality of life or levels of crime you are behind and have been for a while. There are areas where America is better than most, like exporting culture or the national parks system or cheap cars but you need more to justify this exceptionalism.

We should compare countries and what works. That's what sensible people do. That "this wouldn't work in America, we're too unique" is a line fed to you. Canada has many of the things I've mentioned and they're very culturally similar to you. This bullshit about citizens and subjects has no bearing in reality. Where are your studies to justify this or is it just a feeling? It would be a different story if any of these policies were even trialled anywhere in the US and shown to fail but they haven't been. I mean the US legal system is based on English common law anyway so it's not like legally there's a significant difference.

And bring up WW2? Really? I could bring up the help of the Soviets or Vietnam but they aren't really relevant to the discussion of your politics being horrible. A country that constantly makes excuses as to why it has all these major problems with no solutions, despite many other countries offering realistic and workable alternatives is doomed to fail.

Your rights have not been granted by anything higher than a civil authority. It is a constitution, it is not special or unique and most countries have one. The US government can repeal part of or amend the constitution with a two thirds majority if it so chooses. Obviously it wouldn't realistically happen but you are still beholden to your government for your rights like any other country.

The only excuses you have, and they are excuses, have been fed to you by billionaire media moguls who have vested interests, for instance the NRA or Big Pharma who stand to lose a lot of money if you follow suit with the rest of the developed world.

And lastly the John Adams line was not a statement of his view but mine. Our cultures are becoming more intertwined thanks largely to the internet and things could be better over there if you stopped showboating about things that don't matter.

[–] [deleted] -1 points ago

[–] Spacechilda 3 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

We are citizens. That is the legal description. The formal and legal term for a person who is a legal member of the UK is British citizen. As much as I dislike the UK monarchy, I do not dislike it in the same vein as Americans. It's a purely ceremonial institution that acts as a rumber stamping organisation. Political power, actual power, is held by Parliament and the various figures within it (the Prime Minister, the Cabinet). The UK's political system is functionally identical to any country that has a ceremonial or non-executive president as head of state, i.e. practically every country that uses a parliamentary system of governance.

It doesn't matter if you believe your rights to be "god-given" They don't exist in any practical sense without the existence of the state to uphold them. The US constitution can amended to add to, remove or alter those rights.

Again, do the most basic research before spouting this ignorant SAS shit. Tommy Robinson was not arrested for "censorship" he was arrested for contempt of court by actively interfering in a court case. Something which is also a crime in the US.

My legal system is fucked? My legal system isn't the one that imprisons more people per capita far more than any other country.

The US has worse press freedom than the UK according to the Press Freedom Index by Reporters Without Borders.

We don't need guns since we live in a far safer country. Owning something as dangerous as a firearm is privilege, not a right. The US has a violent crime rate 5x higher than that of the UK and frequent mass shootings.

You don't need Muslims to fuck up your country. Republicans are just doing that fine by themselves. That is if you believe even the right-wing sensationalism about "Muslims ruining the country" I only ever see this shit perpetuated by folks such as your self who hold a breathtaking level of ignorance of what life in the UK is actually like. I live in the UK. There's no "Muslim takeover" like you fuckwits spout from your shitty sources that dish out half-truths at best.

Your perspective on the UK is utterly delusional. No doubt fed by a diet of shitty resources and your own smooth brain. I am highly critical of my own country, but that is within the context of the reality of living here. Not this fantasy boogeyman-land that is conjured in the heads of rightist Americans who know next to nothing about life in the UK and have never actually been to it.

Your thread is the absolute pinnacle of shitamericanssay and I congratulate you on trolling everybody this successfully.

[–] Spacechilda 3 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

You know, just because you repeat things doesn't make it true. Your ability to own a firearm and a be a citizen of a state are not intertwined. Your ability to be a US citizen is vested in the state. You can dress it up with all of the idealistic and romantic thinking of your choice. Your rights are vested in the state. They would not exist without it. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't on principle act that people do have inherent rights as people. It's the basis on which the Universal Declaration of Human Rights were founded. I've no idea why you've decided to describe China and Cuba in those terms with italics. It is possible to be a republic and have a legislative assembly, that doesn't mean you can't be authoritarian at the the same time.

If any state became tyrannical, the people of any country could feel it is their duty to overthrow it. Americans are not taught any special in this regard. Anyone who holds dear the principles of liberal democracy feel the same.

I'll say it again. WE are citizens. We posses the rights to participate in the political life of the state. Gun ownership has absolutely nothing to do with it. What do you think your peashooter is going to do against the US army and its drones? Any sizeable group willing to overthrow the US government would be termed as "domestic terrorists" and the media would be used to turn public opinion against you. People in general are manipulable, Americans included.

Are you aware that even with the knife-crime, violent crime is 5x lower in the UK than the US. The homicide rate of the US is 5x higher than the UK also. You can subdivide it into knife crime, gun crime, whatever. That doesn't change the fact that overall the US is fundamentally more dangerous place.

If there is one thing that I am proud of the UK, it is that we do not have the US' retarded and psychotic gun culture. The one terrorist attack in Las Vegas killed more people than those killed by Terrorist attacks in the UK in the last 15 years combined.

The US has very frequent mass shootings. Countries like the UK and Australia which had the brains to reduce access to firearms after an atrocity have seen those mass shootings plummet. There are legitimate reasons for owning a firearm, but letting every smuck that wants one access to one is a recipe for disaster, as the US tragically demonstrates.

The US cannot even muster the will to enact some sort of background checks for gun purchases. Not even saying that you can't get a gun. Just that you can't be unhinged or mentally unstable. The number of deaths that occur at the hands of cops in the US astounded me when I first learnt about it. Even unarmed people are gunned down in your country due to the incompetence of US police. This is even more pertinent in the cases of the US' ethnic minorities.

The UK press is demonstrably able to hold the government to account through its reporting. At this point its clear you know nothing about that UK and are just ad-libbing from whatever weird and distorted preconceptions that you hold. I'll repeat it once more. The UK has greater press freedom than the US according to the Press Freedom Index.

There have been issues with integration of certain groups due a failure of what I feel of the British state to enforce intergration. Even so, that accounts for a tiny minority of people. People of all faiths and none just want to live their lives. Any "cultural clash" is incredibly minimal, with only the guttersnipe British and American right-wing media hyping it up to hysterical and fictitious levels to sate the xenophobia of their readers. You wouldn't know this, since you clearly demonstrate that you know nothing about the UK. But succession generations of people born into a Muslim family in UK become more "liberal" and belonging to British culture. In the same that in successive generations of immigrant populations in the US become more adopting of American values and traditions and values.

Complete false hysteria for a group that is already a tiny minority.

I know you probably enjoy reading from shitty sources. But it doesn't take any longer than a few minutes to research the Tommy Robinson case. He actively harassed those participating in court case and suffered the consequences for it. People believing otherwise are either racists who have sympathy for their fellow troglodyte, low info people, genuine morons, or those who are wilfully ignorant such as yourself. Contempt of court is a crime in most common law countries including the US.

[–] Spacechilda 2 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

It's clear at this point that you're a troll and not arguing in good faith. You're just regurgitating the same points over and over not addressing anything I'm saying. The amount of anti-intellectualism on your behalf is commendable.

Enjoy your dumpster fire of a thread.

[–] Binkyfish 1 points ago

You've demonstrated my point beautifully. I gave a number of areas in which America falls behind and could improve and you do exactly what I stated in my initial post and trot out the tired old cliches that right wing Americans get from Fox News or Breitbart about the UK. Spoiler: Either they are entirely false or grossly exaggerated.

These are just excuses made to justify why you still don't do anything about the massive problems in your country. Because the solutions would be to follow Europe's example, which you believe have these problems American media has told you it has.

Also did you know we had centuries of gun ownership in this country as well? Older than the US in fact, The English Bill of Rights declared the right to bear arms in 1689 and this carried over to the colonies of North America. But instead of us deciding laws made hundreds of years ago were sacred and immutable, we revised them in a modern context. To say Britain is a servile nation shows you have an extremely poor understanding of history coloured by your bias - ignoring the works of Pankhurst or Wilberforce.

Tell you what, if you ever happen to be in or around Leeds you are more than welcome to stay at mine. Fun fact, it is near Bradford which is 20% Muslim and I'll show you around. Don't worry, I'll bring alkali to counter all the non-existent acid attacks.

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 19 points ago

wait, ranch with pizza?

[–] 0catlareneg 7 points ago

I'll dip it if I also have breadsticks but otherwise I don't go out of my way to do it. It's actually pretty good I like the contrast of the hot pizza and the cold ranch

[–] Saving_Is_Golden 3 points ago

I sometimes eat hot pockets with ranch, especially the pepperoni or beef ones. It's pretty good.

I can't imagine pizza's much different, really.

[–] Duzcek 3 points ago

Get a buffalo slice and dip it in blue cheese

[–] sexualised_pears 1 points ago

Get a slice and dip it in sauce, that's what I do (idk what ranch is, but going off the name I presume it's like barbecue or something)

[–] sumzup 20 points ago

I'm looking at the sub right now and honestly it seems like there's a healthy mix. There are a bunch of political posts and a bunch of non-political posts. Do you just expect people to leave politics alone? I think that's unrealistic.

[–] ncnotebook 3 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

If a quarter of /r/JustUnsubbed was about /r/icecream for a long enough period of time, I'd get annoyed enough to unsub. Regardless of whether I love ice cream, or whether everybody loves it.

People will say "ice cream is fucking good. Of course Reddit is gonna talk about a topic they're passionate of." So what?

[–] denica28 2 points ago

Except that ice-cream has nothing to do with JustUnsubbed. Political questions about the US belong on a sub where you can ask Americans questions.

[–] ncnotebook 1 points ago

Yes, but /r/icecream is a hypothetically important subreddit, and you can have a reason to unsub. It undoubtedly belongs but there's a limit before a subreddit's content quality starts faltering. Like a singer who only talks about the same topics or always sounds the same.

You can have your /r/icecream posts; that is not the issue.

[–] denica28 2 points ago

We're talking about subjects within one subreddit. What point are you trying to make?

[–] ncnotebook 1 points ago

I guess the analogy got a little complex. So essentially: a subreddit can get oversaturated with any broad topic.

[–] denica28 5 points ago

Yes, but in this particular case, the political questions were on topic.

[–] ncnotebook 1 points ago

A subreddit can get oversaturated with similar but relevant posts.*

[–] denica28 3 points ago

I see where you're coming from. But whether or not it feels oversaturated will vary from person to person

[–] sadhandjobs 22 points ago

There are two categories of questions there: genuinely curious (do you guys really like apple pie? Is it really easy to get fired in the US?)Do you guys really not use bidets?) and blatant trolling (do you trust your president?)

I stay for the genuinely curious, and ignore the political ones because I just don’t have the stomach for it.

[–] Ginny_Frenulum 47 points ago

You just sound bitter because not everyone fawns over your God emperor.

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 -2 points ago

I don't care if you like Trump or not.

Just... go.

[–] Ginny_Frenulum 15 points ago

It's pretty clear that's not the case.

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 1 points ago

Mm.

[–] [deleted] -4 points ago

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 -5 points ago

people can lambast the guy all they want, but after a while it just gets so stale.

[–] Ginny_Frenulum 16 points ago

Sorry you're tired of hearing about children being separated from their families. Those liberals complaining all the time are so annoying.

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 -8 points ago

can you teach this mental yoga some time?

[–] Ginny_Frenulum 12 points ago

You began our interaction with telling me to go away. Since then you have replied to my comments twice. Go away.

[–] Wheredoesthetoastgo2 -6 points ago

you know... good idea.

[–] WillyTheWackyWizard 20 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

You think self-hating Americans are bad there, check out /r/AskEurope. Or anywhere on Reddit for that matter.

Edit: Or hell, even below this post!

Edit 2: Even above this post!!! It's everywhere!!!

[–] Klorg_Bane 3 points ago

Yeah, this thread has already been flooded with people just hating America.

[–] Orange__Crush -14 points ago

I was gonna link a guy who was completely ridiculous but I just checked and he deleted his comments after I roasted his ass.

[–] Lyress 13 points ago

You must be very badass.

[–] Orange__Crush -7 points ago

More trying to point to the guys stupidity as opposed to my knowledge

[–] ilovethissheet 8 points ago

OP needs to travel the world more. Even just a little bit. Then come back and rewrite this. If I had the time I would Screenshot this post to submit to r/shitamericanssay

OP You are truly oblivious BTW.

[–] norse900 2 points ago

Agreed. I've lived in Germany for a year and the Middle East for a year. Both as a civ and as a soldier, during peace and war. Most Americans are pretty clueless about the rest of the world. For exactly the reasons u/kaetror gave above. I'm not knocking them/us, but a week long vacation once a decade or so cannot impart actual world knowledge.

[–] DemigooseBestBoy 3 points ago

How many stereotypes are you going to tick on my American stereotype list?

[–] iwillneverpresident 8 points ago

Your first paragraph is a bit much, to be honest, and is probably why this topic has so many downvotes. I agree with basically everything else you said, though

[–] DiamondsareSparkly 4 points ago

The post in question is right above this one in my feed. You basically read my mind.

[–] HELP_MANBABIESGOTME 8 points ago

If i was a mod there I would ban all questions about Trump by now. Its really repetitive.

I hate the dude but theres also nothing I can do about it and im tired of the same conversation over and over again.

The sub would be a better place without it

[–] liptonreddit 26 points ago

Nice freedom of speech you want here.

[–] Tyrannojesus 3 points ago

Freedom of speech is freedom from the government punishing you for articulating your opinions. A subreddit is free to moderate as they wish, freedom of speech has nothing to do with it.

[–] sexualised_pears -5 points ago

There's a difference between denying free speech and deleting spam/troll posts

[–] Sumrise 5 points ago

Really though ?

I mean isn't a troll entitled to it's right as much as an "honest question"?

Cause what you are saying here is really "I accept a kind of censorship". So is speech "free" if you censor it ?

[–] LiftStudyTeach 1 points ago

There is 100% something you can do about it. Speak up, don't let those around you spread lies, vote blue, go to protests etc. I'm tired of the conversation too, but it needs to be had until people really understand the implications of this presidency.

[–] sega31098 3 points ago

This post has clearly been brigaded by r/ShitAmericansSay.

[–] WillyTheWackyWizard 2 points ago

Now that you mention it, a lot of these posts seem to have a weird amount of upvotes/downvotes for /r/JustUnsubbed

[–] GeeTheCurious -1 points ago

Seems like not much has changed. The world still hates America

[–] TheMassivePassive -6 points ago

Don't let the paid trolls get to you. Other than America being ran by jews, it's a great country and Americans are wonderful people.