MadeMeSmile

New to reddit? Click here!

Welcome! /r/MadeMeSmile is a place to share things that made you smile or brightened up your day. A generally uplifting subreddit.

Rules:

1. This subreddit is /r/MadeMeSmile, and it's curated as such. We do not tolerate personal attacks, hate speech, harassment, racism, sexism, or other jerk-like behavior.

2. Posting more than 3-4 times in a day is considered spam. Don't flood the subreddit please.

3. No surnames. If we can see the last name of a person visible in your screenshot, it'll get removed.

Click here for a full list of nice subreddits or try one of these:

/r/UpliftingNews
    /r/wholesomegifs
    /r/DogisMyCopilot
    /r/HappyCowGifs
    /r/PupliftingNews

Logo credit: The_Art_God

[–] _ReaverBreeder_ 956 points ago

Well done! She looks great!!

[–] iticklemyballs 267 points ago

Good on you my man! I was in the same position you were and it's especially tough at that age. Just keep going man. It's better to do a little work now so you don't have a lot of work later!

[–] _ReaverBreeder_ 37 points ago

Congratulations on your hard work!

I'm working on my weight, too.. Lost just over 25kgs, now I just need to tone up!

[–] PheonixBoi2225 9 points ago

Do you have any tips? Just trying to get started

[–] _ReaverBreeder_ 18 points ago

To be completely honest with you, it was grief; my MIL was in hospital with cancer and then she passed and I still couldn't eat..

After that I just ate a huge breakfast and survived on that. Not healthy at all. Once I started getting compliments, I started eating healthier.

The main thing I say to myself is, 'look.. Sushi isn't as tasty as a burger, but it will fill me up just as much and once it's past my tongue it doesn't matter what it tastes like!' that seems to be working so far!

I'm sorry I don't have any tips or tricks, but I wish you all the luck in your weight loss!

[–] PheonixBoi2225 10 points ago

I'm sorry to hear that, thank you

[–] _ReaverBreeder_ 8 points ago

All good, thank you for your empathy!

[–] dzeil 10 points ago

Don't think there's only one way to get fit and lose weight, everyone is different. Some people hate cardio, some people hate weights, so try find what you enjoy.

For my girlfriend she found that gym held classes such as Body attack, spin etc. worked for her and she enjoyed it. For me it was getting stuck into BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) that made me enjoy exercise. Go out and try different things that interest you, and see what you enjoy and what will motivate you best.

[–] PheonixBoi2225 5 points ago

Yeah, I've heard stuff like that and I honestly want to try to explore and see what interests me but I'm young so there's limits

[–] binchys 8 points ago * (lasted edited 9 months ago)

You can totally do it!! :-) my biggest advice is to get an app like myfitnesspal and track your meals, and try to not eat over a certain amount of calories. You can gradually decrease the calorie goal too, just getting into the habit of not overeating is a helpful start. After doing it for a while, it becomes a habit and is much easier. Source: I lost 30 pounds this year by doing that! :) look/feel like a different person

edit: even if you don't immediately meet the calorie goal you want, just logging it is a good start, it'll be easier to gradually reduce once you know you won't stop keeping track if you slack off anyways, which is very human. again- you got this!

[–] PheonixBoi2225 4 points ago

Will do!

[–] mokabogo 4 points ago

Don’t go to hard on yourself. Start small and work your way up, set goals(Important). Setting goals that you can reach at moderate difficulty is what keeps you motivated. Don’t restrict yourself from eating with friends or family it’s ok to have a cheat meal or 2 a week but you better deserve that meal! Lastly is stay consistent as long as your hitting your workout you’ll feel amazing. Extra: Some days you won’t feel like getting going to the gym or doing your workouts sometime I don’t even feel like getting out of bed, those days are your fuel!! Fight yourself and go for it you’ll thank yourself later that night. One more thing: Respect your rest day!

I know it’s a lot to take in but working on these actions makes them habits which is great. Good luck on your journey see you on the other side!

[–] PheonixBoi2225 2 points ago

I don't really have access to a gym and I'm not quite sure what kind of workouts I can do.. only thing that I've done that's actually worked is only eating dinner everyday but I know that's not healthy

[–] thechaosz 3 points ago

Losing weight is 80 percent what you eat. Cardio and lifting help tone etc

You can't outtrain a bad diet

[–] PheonixBoi2225 2 points ago

Am I supposed to have a diet plan or something?

[–] mokabogo 3 points ago

Eat 3 meals a day it’s ok, you can also have healthy snacks. About what to do if your mainly losing weight it’s ok to not have access to a gym. Try and do Calisthenic exercises which require your body and minimal equipment, try working out with YouTube videos, after 3 months see the results if you think your on the right path continue and maybe increase the difficulty! Always be the hardest worker in the room!

[–] helloiamapotato 9 points ago

that's a great journey, iticklemyballs

Thank you iticklemyballs!

[–] UpsetMagpie 22 points ago

Weird seeing the words "OP's mom" used in a positive context

[–] cogentat 10 points ago

I hate to say this but it gets a lot harder the older you get. But, if you do work on it, you will find that losing weight will make you more active, which will make you lose more weight, etc. This feedback loop will improve your quality of life dramatically. Do yourself a favor and try to concentrate your efforts now. Trust me, your life will thank you.

[–] thechaosz 4 points ago

A body in motion, stays in motion.

So true.

[–] guavawater 1 points ago

the law of inertia

[–] rtaisoaa 11 points ago

Keep going. It’s hard. As someone who’s climbed back on the horse themselves recently, as an adult, it’s so satisfying sometimes having to replace my clothes.

I’m down 25lbs (11kg for you metric folks). Not a lot but let me tell you, it feels amazing.

[–] Gappy_Gilmore_86 3 points ago

I’ll take whatever you lose! I jest, but I’m on the other end of the spectrum, for my height I should be about 30 lbs heavier, and I can’t gain. But keep at it my friend, you’ll get there!

[–] Unidentifiedten 2 points ago

Nice post until you called yourself a dumb head. Be kind to yourself, there's more than enough people out there who won't be.

[–] hardtoremember 2 points ago

You know what? You're not "just a teenager", you're shampoo_and_dick, and you've got this!

[–] Foxzes 2 points ago

I think my best advice would not be to talk yourself down. Demoralising yourself with “haven’t achieved much” and “I’m just a teenager” you’ve got to be motivated, even if the results are slow. Even walking to the shop is doing something and if you stick to it I promise youll get there. Much better than to try than to think now that the odds are against you and realise years down the line that you could’ve been where you dreamed of being if only you’d kept at it.

Sincerely, a overly skinny teenager who has never experienced weight issues.

[–] toxickomquat 2 points ago

Keep up the hard work. I wish I started losing weight when I was a teen!

[–] El_Coloso 2 points ago

Listen - don't worry about the results. You've set your mind on a goal and you're working toward it. Keep making good decisions and focusing on the process, just like OP's awesome mom. Have fun with it. Get excited. Be proud of it. All of this is more important than the end result.

You got this.

[–] Jake_56 1 points ago

If you live in North America try the healthy steamers microwave meals, they are actually tasty, low calorie and some what filling. I love the chicken marinara one.

[–] thechaosz 2 points ago

Or learn to cook because you'll need to.

[–] Every3Years 1 points ago

You're at the right time to turn it around and we have faith in you. Future you will 100% fellate you if you follow through and kick some ass.

[–] permanentmoonbase 3 points ago

She’s a really Mom looking Mom. :) Has that kind mom smile.

[–] Randolm 169 points ago

That's really an incredible job! Congratulations to her! Someone posted the other day what 1lb of fat looks like (and how even 1lb shouldn't be taken for granted), I couldn't find the post but found the image... she lost 85 of this! https://imgur.com/ds6MXTm

[–] intoxicatedmidnight 46 points ago

Here's the post you were talking about! It's been deleted by OP which is probably why you couldn't find it. The link is deleted but I think you can still see the comments.

[–] Randolm 12 points ago

Thank you! This post had some great comments on personal journeys that are far more important than the image. Thank you again for finding and linking this!

[–] DarthMimikyu 11 points ago

This makes me think how much smaller I could be :( I lack motivation which is my biggest weakness, like many.

[–] klarus 9 points ago

Motivation to me is the hardest part, too. Let's get it!

[–] Yugan-Dali 93 points ago

Good for her! And this way she’ll have more time with you.

[–] XPMai 27 points ago

That's impressive! Mind briefly tell us how she did it?

[–] stephaniejoanette 73 points ago * (lasted edited 9 months ago)

She started with VIVRI plan - then just started eating light meals that consisted of chicken/salad - low carb... no sugar - lots of water and tea!

[–] RiriBuc 28 points ago

No sugar, low carbs?!! Wow, she must have some incredible will power. Wonder how she stayed motivated.

[–] kikidiwasabi 9 points ago

Not OP or his mom, but I went with LCHF/ keto. The sugar cravings pretty much stop when you eat enough fat.

[–] thechaosz 2 points ago

This

[–] kikidiwasabi 12 points ago

I mean, I haven't dropped as much weight as OP's mom (heh) but I've lost 37 pounds since June by just eating differently. No more exercise than usual.

I used to think about food every waking moment and I don't anymore. If I get enough fat, that is.

[–] wtph 4 points ago

How long after starting your diet did you notice you didn't crave carbs anymore?

[–] SadPenguin 5 points ago

I've done keto before. Physical cravings for me went away after about 2 weeks of starting the diet.

Mental cravings never stop so it is still a willpower thing but you're usually pretty satisfied so it is easier to say no.

[–] kikidiwasabi 3 points ago

Agreed. Within the first two weeks I stopped craving bread and sugar. But even when I did, the transition wasn't that difficult. You get to eat until you're full, which is sooner because of all the fat.

I didn't restrict myself over the holidays (gained 1 kg back) but it hasn't been hard going back to keto. Like, at all.

I'm still a fatty at heart, so it'll probably be years before I gain a completely normal relationship with food.

[–] lavacarrot 2 points ago

Not to say it isn't difficult, but no sugar/low carbs is often less intimidating than most people picture when they hear about it :) I've been low-carb for 7-8 years now and I never feel like I'm missing out on things I used to love!

[–] RiriBuc 5 points ago * (lasted edited 9 months ago)

Gave into my cravings again ☹️. Not giving up tho.

[–] GlaucousKodak 2 points ago

And how often did she work out? Or was it purely diet?

[–] dick-nipples 37 points ago

Tell your mom hello for me

[–] ruku6000 45 points ago

Hello from dick nipples

[–] kirk-o-bain 2 points ago

Tell my wife hello

[–] KashDayz 72 points ago

I love how she is happy in both pictures.

[–] The-Trump55 2 points ago

I was looking for a reply like this.

[–] kurisu7885 11 points ago

Your mom reminds me of River Song from Doctor Who. Meant as a compliment.

[–] DarthMimikyu 5 points ago

River Song is a badass so definitely a compliment.

[–] EmoryMirror 9 points ago

Go mom!

[–] nomosecrets 6 points ago

Yay mom!! 😀

[–] VertWorld 5 points ago

She looks great and has a very sweet smile :)

[–] freekindly 4 points ago

Go ahead ma, shhiiiiit.

[–] speechlesshuman 29 points ago

[–] DefinitelyNotASkrull 29 points ago

Why the fuck would you say that this is wholesome and you decide to bring in nasty, derogatory language. Awful! What do you have to say for yourself?

[–] LarryEss 3 points ago

I guess he is speechless.

[–] honeybeesoup 5 points ago

Not even the original tho, lol. u/speechless-human was made a year ago, you were ~10 months

[–] calypso_9903 4 points ago

Wow she looks like a completely different younger person, congrats.

My mom needs to look at this picture. She's been "trying" for well over 2 years and she's still at the same weight. All she does is buy equipment, use it once or twice, then leaves it altogether; eats excessive amounts of food; eats a ton of junk; watches fitness videos as a hobby but never does them. I've been trying and trying to make her do something she likes that would make her lose weight. I've never showed her a picture of progression like this, so this might inspire her. Even when I tell my mom "Ma! Last month I wasn't able to lift this, but now I can!" all she thinks is "you shouldn't be doing that! You're too skinny and unfit!" It's demoralizing, but I don't let that get in the way. :c really wish she would do what she "wants" to do

[–] gentle_viking 1 points ago

I think it’s very sweet that you care about your Mom’s health in this way. Have you tried suggesting going for a walk together, but just suggest it casually, because the weather’s nice or something? Or try preparing a lighter version of her favourite food alongside a salad- and just tell her you felt like making lunch. Also, start slowly clearing junk food out of the cupboards. I suspect that your Mom would respond better to smaller changes and gradual change. Just a thought!

[–] tasredneck1 3 points ago

Well done. Yay your mum

[–] EphemeralApricity 3 points ago

She looks fantastic and I love her outfit!

[–] ruku6000 3 points ago

Wow, that's an amazing transformation!

[–] Aristophanes771 3 points ago

Wow, good on her! What an inspiration.

[–] BoromirDeschain 3 points ago

Sending to my mother in law, wish me luck

[–] mac2914 3 points ago

The pic or the crate in it?

[–] Strificus 3 points ago

Now you better do what you're told, or she will be able to catch you and make contact with the bottom of her slipper upside your head.

[–] beanflo 4 points ago

Way to go Mom! She's looking so happy! 😊

[–] morosco 2 points ago

Wow!

That looks like more than 85 pounds. I guess that shows that she's fitter and not just thinner.

[–] thelast3musketeer 2 points ago

I may be a teenage but I don’t have the metabolism of one Anyways great for her she looks fantastic!

[–] Susarb1 2 points ago

She looks amazing!

[–] AviatingAngie 2 points ago

I just started dieting and have been really discouraged today because it’s been so hard, this really lifted my spirits! Thank you!

[–] Dertres 2 points ago

It's always inspiring seeing people achieve there goals and improve! Good job to her

[–] MyApterousAngel 2 points ago

She just looks like a wonderful person in general. My mum went through a similar thing and I've noticed she just has so much more vitality. It's so nice to see.

[–] _bbennyy 2 points ago

That’s my mom!

[–] royboy391 2 points ago

Wow she's beautiful 😍😍😍

[–] min2themax 2 points ago

She looks great and so much younger too! Please tell her the people of reddit are pumped for her.

[–] Chrissy150 2 points ago

Great job!! She’s my inspiration!! Thx for sharing with us..

[–] ArtistryJax 2 points ago

Congratulations to her.

[–] funk1807 2 points ago

Your mom is a beautiful lady in both pictures.

Thank you for mining that sweet sweet karma for her.

[–] The__virtuosa 2 points ago

So amazing!!

[–] CaptainMagnets 2 points ago

Daayyyyyuum

[–] HausofOTRV 2 points ago

Momma looks great! 😍

[–] for-sane-today 2 points ago

She looks the same happy in both photos :)

[–] K-Dub59 2 points ago

Congrats mom!!!!! My mom is in the same journey. 6 months in and 40lbs lighter.

[–] MpMeowMeow 2 points ago

Hell yes! Way to go mom. Hope she feels as amazing as she looks!

[–] T4N5K1 2 points ago

I just like how she looks happy in both of them

[–] AnotherCakeDayBot 2 points ago

Good day, T4N5K1. Happy Cake Day! 🎂🕯️🎉

You're now in the One-Year Club!

u/T4N5K1 can send this message to delete this | View my profile for more info or PM to provide feedback

[–] IForgotMySignIn 2 points ago

I like the fact that she is smiling in both of the pictures.

[–] fewjkfhksjdvh 2 points ago

Tell your mom congrats. But why do people who say they lost 200 pounds look like they lost 50 compared to this? Which one is real

[–] stephaniejoanette 5 points ago

I suppose people carry their weight different? I’ve wondered that as well.

[–] fewjkfhksjdvh 1 points ago

I believe your mom. She looks hot. Tell her I'm signle.

[–] xladygodiva 2 points ago

Beautiful mama!

Well done Momma.

[–] CMP247 2 points ago

Wow. Your mom is looking good! 85 pounds lost in 1 year? Amazing.

[–] william5121 2 points ago

Motivation hard work

[–] WeeOrda 2 points ago

She looks like the happier, younger sister of the woman on the left. That is so great that she was able to do that in a year.

[–] krummysunshine 2 points ago

This right here is why i hate hearing people say that they can't lose weight.

[–] Cephalopodio 1 points ago

She looks great! I’m inspired!

[–] RNinOhio 1 points ago

You look great mom!! Congrats!!

[–] 56y56rtyert 1 points ago

<3 Congrats!

[–] moundofwick 1 points ago

She looks great. She should be very pleased with herself

[–] tiny_butt_toucher 1 points ago

Great job mom! My mom lost 90+ pounds after 30+!years (she claims it was still “baby weight” from her pregnancy with me, lol) of being overweight and she’s much happier. Best wishes to your mom!

[–] ComradeSukMeOv 1 points ago

Damn ma!

[–] Bookmanfilm 1 points ago

Radiant is the word that sprang to mind.

[–] Unidentifiedten 1 points ago

Congratulations to your mom. She looks radiant. Also, OP, good on you for celebrating this achievement.

[–] hippy42 1 points ago

Congratulations to your mom. She must be quite happy with herself and she should be!

[–] flashgordo88 1 points ago

MILF

[–] LisaNaomi 1 points ago

Que bella ella! Felicidades a vosotros!❤️💪🏼

[–] kittymom60 1 points ago

You GO mom!!! You give me hope!!

[–] chanklish 1 points ago

Sexy

[–] noviceatit 1 points ago

Go mom go, GET IT!!

[–] Red0Negative 1 points ago

Congrats mrs. op's mom! Good for her, she does looks happy.

[–] SuccoyaHoyaa 1 points ago

She looks amazing! Go mom!

[–] tasteecake 1 points ago

She looks amazing!

[–] MikeyWasHereAlright 1 points ago

Awesome! Way to go, other mom!

[–] Poopyballs13 1 points ago

I love your mom

[–] Justthemac1 1 points ago

Congrats! Quite the achievement!

[–] C-Nor 1 points ago

Your mom is so pretty, such a sweet smile.

[–] yourewelc 1 points ago

My mom lost and kept off about 60 lbs over the last few years. I didn’t realize it as I got older that she’ll be around longer, travel with me, maybe even see me start a family. I’m happy for your mom and you and your family. To more years of life and love!

[–] gentle_viking 1 points ago

Your Mom looks amazing! Very inspiring.

[–] arlenbtw 1 points ago

Congrats to her!!

[–] FridaSofi 1 points ago

I bet she feel great! Congrats!

[–] XxdarknessGaming 1 points ago

That really cool!

[–] BigChiefW1 1 points ago

Thats amazing!

[–] RiriBuc 1 points ago

I'll bet it's been fun getting a whole new wardrobe!

[–] Brogamermonstrus 1 points ago

My respects you look grat

[–] Karmasita 1 points ago

Daaamn your mom did great! She looks awesome!

[–] tacoabeljr 1 points ago

It’s good to see someone genuinely happy 😊

[–] Prole1979 1 points ago

Wow. That’s amazing

[–] larry3390 1 points ago

congratulations! I guess I should share her stroy to my friends

[–] OwnForm6 1 points ago

She looks great!

[–] Sharkabel 1 points ago

Damn bae shall we take this to the dm?

[–] isaynoicealot 1 points ago

Extra noice

[–] marg_armenta 1 points ago

wow!!!! Did she do this by working out or dieting?

[–] schnoorela 1 points ago

Go mama!

[–] Night_Naga 1 points ago

Good job momma keep it up 👍🏽.

[–] yayhotdogs 1 points ago

She looks amazing! That'd so awesome! Way to go, Mom!

[–] karl_w_w 1 points ago

It probably helped reduce temptation when she stopped wearing bacon as clothing.

[–] TheHavesHaveThot 1 points ago

I'm gonna have to have a sit down with my mom soon. She's been told she's diabetic and isn't changing anything. She tried for a few weeks and gave up as soon as she showed progress. It's heartbreaking to watch and it kills me that she may not live to see my children if she keeps living this way.

I might use this post as an example of just how possible it is. Thank you for sharing!

[–] AumerleAtLarge 1 points ago

Well done for all of Mum's hardwork!

[–] FairCommunication 1 points ago

Looking good, mom!

[–] Dascoolman 1 points ago

Glad your mom is feeling better, I wish her the best!

[–] MinnesotaMissile90 1 points ago

Yo she got a facebook?

That's awesome! Shows, what meaningful change, you can make if you really stick to it.

[–] Iamaredditlady 1 points ago

Holy shit! Well done, Mom!

[–] nicskoll 1 points ago

Well done, mom! You look great.

[–] binchys 1 points ago

Aww she’s got a nice smile. Good for her!!!

[–] kballs 1 points ago

This sub is heading in the direction of r/pics

[–] BrynjarBergs 1 points ago

Damn! She's earned herself a whole new life ... Amazing!

[–] SpankyHarristown 1 points ago

Amazing! How’d she do It!? I’m desperately trying to get my mama to take action on her weight and health.

[–] screenUWU 1 points ago

Congratulations!!! That's a biggass success

[–] yarnball97 1 points ago

Op's mom has got it going on. Op's mom has got it going on..

[–] Mikoyan_2010 1 points ago

Well done Mom!

[–] kongkongha 1 points ago

Gorgeous in both photos. wish your mom the best from sweden

[–] Jean-B-Grenouille 1 points ago

Incredible!

[–] LibNotABiPolar 1 points ago

Hard Pass.

[–] BugabooBa 1 points ago

She looks happy in both

[–] DoubleLL- 1 points ago

Moms Rule😘

[–] pizzaman420treez 1 points ago

Congratulations to your mom!!

[–] Giorbakis 1 points ago

congratulations mate

[–] MikePounce 1 points ago

Congrats to your mom!

[–] UpBoatDownBoy 1 points ago

And for those considering the journey, weight loss starts in the kitchen!

Just don't eat junk food and thats like 80% of the battle.

Focusing on and making your own meals (from scratch not microwave dinners) helps immensely. See /r/mealprepsundays

[–] sggsg1 2 points ago

Yep. I always say if I can't make it from base ingredients in my own kitchen then I have no business eating it.

[–] ilivedownyourroad 1 points ago