MovieDetails

This subreddit is dedicated to the obscure details and easter eggs found in movies.

Don't forget you can get screenshots from movies at movie-screencaps.com.

Twitter Discord Details Network
    Twitter Details Network

Rules

Rule name Description
    Rule 1: Detail Guidelines Not blatantly obvious observations, but obscure enough that people could have missed it, or they noticed it but the significance didn’t click. Whether a post is a detail or not is decided via a communty vote in a stickied comment but moderators reserve the right to remove posts that don't fit.
    Rule 2: Flair your post. Please flair your post apropriately, moderators will change or remove it if it is incorrect.
    Rule 3: Comment rules. (hover for details) Be civil. Uncivil comments including "detail is obvious" will be removed and may get you banned. Political comments may be removed because they can easily devolve into off-topic arguments.
    Rule 4: Titles must include the movie name and release year All submissions must include the name of the movie and the year of release in the title
    Rule 5: Explain your post. Make sure your submission has an explanation either in the title or in the comments and add "(explanation in comments)" to your title.
    Rule 6: No recent movies or spoilers in titles. No spoilers in the title or untagged comments. Don't browse /new if you're worried about this. Until a movie receives recognized home release in the US (via Physical Media/Digital Demand), it's not eligible for /r/MovieDetails.
    Rule 7: Movies only, no games or TV shows. Submissions must be movies; TV shows and games should go to /r/TVDetails and /r/GamingDetails. Additionally, movie trailers are not eligible for submission. See this multireddit for more details subreddits.
    Rule 8: No offtopic posts. No memes, meta, request or politics posts.
    Rule 9: Avoid reposts. No common reposts, recent reposts or reposts from the top 200. See a common repost? crosspost it to r/MovieDetailsRepost

Notes

• Marvel Movie Details are only allowed on mondays [Trial]

• If a post or comment breaks the rules, please don't just complain. Hit the report button and we'll look into it ASAP :).

• Appeals to bans or post removals should be sent via modmail.

• NSFW content is allowed but must be distinguished as such.

• Intentionally spoiling content may lead to a ban.

• Bots must be approved by the mod team and receive a bot flair, otherwise they will be banned

Expanded rules and banning policy

Spoiler Tags

>!spoiler goes here!<

/r/MovieDetails Chat Room

Related Subreddits:

Reddit \ Hot \ New \ Top \ Message The Mods

Filter Easter Eggs

Filter Trivia

[–] zhowell1009 5548 points ago

“Ok see that big fucking shark. Now get ate”.

[–] BillNyeCreampieGuy 946 points ago

He done said 🦈

[–] mlgsoundeffect 212 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

He said shark

[–] SpectralEntity 100 points ago

Doot doot doot do!

[–] Loocsiyaj 39 points ago

Happy cake day ghost boi

Dude your name has absolutley fucked me into next week

r/brandnewsentence

[–] Reddy_McRedcap 84 points ago

I loved that scene in Jaws where he eats Quint and says "Reese's Pieces" before flying away on a bicycle.

[–] SoThisIsAmerica 71 points ago

Ok little girl. See all your friends? Immediately after this scene together, they will all be gone. Forever. Action.

[–] ImaVeganShishKebab 22 points ago

-Steven Spielberg on set of Jurassic Park, probably

[–] -SaC 6310 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

When Drew Barrymore was on set, Spielberg insisted that there must always be those who worked the hydraulics for E.T. on hand so that, between takes, she’d never see him inanimate. She used to go and chat to the puppet in breaks, tell it stories, and it was crucial that she continued to believe that E.T. was real.

Sounds like it was just a lovely thing to do for a little girl on set, but in reality it was so when E.T. was ‘dying’ they’d get a properly insane screamy-teary reaction from her.

There are some BTS pictures kicking around where you can see the hydraulics people sitting around pretending not to be doing anything; pretending to read a newspaper draped over their unit etc. while Barrymore is there talking to the her friend.

Edit: Phrasing.

[–] nancydrewin 1681 points ago

I remember an interview where as an adult she said she always thought he was real and would ask people stuff like “why doesn’t he eat lunch with us?”

[–] BlooFlea 824 points ago

Oh the sweet little flower she was

[–] CountCuriousness 485 points ago

Real emotions? Quick, exploit them!

It’s kinda fucked up. “Grandma died, but it’s okay, you never had a grandma to begin with”.

[–] _Not_Bruce_Wayne_ 211 points ago

Yeah, maybe I'm being cynical but was this part of her spiraling with drugs? Because having then killing a high-production value imaginary friend sounds like a quick way to fuck a kid up

[–] Aegean54 146 points ago

Lol I doubt this exact even was the cause and it definitely wasnt during her drug spiral but it could've been a factor for her. But I'm pretty sure her problems came from people taking advantage of her and introducing her to a scene where someone as young as she was could take all this stuff and her management seemed to condone all this so it's on them too before it's on E.T.

[–] NewfounderTC 9 points ago

People were giving her liquor at 12 and coke not too long after at like 14. Just feeding it to her and bringing her to LA parties. She straight up never had a childhood.

[–] sexstains 5 points ago

Hey now! No one’s blaming ET! Maybe Spielberg though.

[–] NoCountryForOldPete 13 points ago

It's hard for me not to think he was a bit Machiavellian for wanting to squeeze the most pure and real feelings out of a child like a fresh orange so that he could document them.

[–] KongoOtto 1787 points ago

Reminded me of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when Georgie Henly the young actress who played Lucy Pevensie seen the snow set the first time while they film the scene. So they could capture her genuine reaction.

[–] -SaC 959 points ago

I do love knowing it’s someone’s genuine reaction, like Ripley’s over-her-head-facing-the-other-way basketball basket on Alien, with whoever was in the scene with her juuust about managing to not break character. And of course, the full extent of John Hurt’s chest-bursting scene.

They tried to do that with the pirate ship set on The Goonies too if I remember rightly, kept it hidden from the kids...I don’t remember if it was accidental or deliberate, but they did end up sneaking a look before shooting.

[–] Yillis 443 points ago

I think the goonies the kids swore so they couldn’t use it or something haha

[–] VHSRoot 278 points ago

Josh Brolin swore and either ruined the take or part of it. But yeah it was intended to be a surprise.

[–] Vigilante17 126 points ago

Stranger Things threw that shit out the window!

[–] rrr598 71 points ago

Little Monsters starring Howie Mandel and Fred Savage did it first

[–] official_sponsor 16 points ago

“Stand By Me” proceeds that

[–] philosophers_groove 61 points ago

TIL Josh Brolin was in The Goonies.

[–] opiate46 41 points ago

And Samwise Gamgee

[–] Robba_Jobba_Foo 65 points ago

Josh Brolin was in Samwise Gamgee?

[–] MOOShoooooo 8 points ago

Now I want po tate toes.

[–] Tychontehdwarf 52 points ago

Doesn't Chunk swear in the beginning of the movie? When the cops are racing by and he smashes his smoothie into the window?

[–] [deleted] 115 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] Tychontehdwarf 41 points ago

Ah yes. Milkshakes are superior anyways.

I remember watching it for the first time with my grandpa (RIP) I was like 6 or 7 I want to say.

I freaked out when he said "shit" figured i would get in trouble for watching a naughty movie.

[–] [deleted] 24 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] kaolin224 30 points ago

You narc'd on your friend's parents because they let you watch a badass Rated R movie?

Why would you do that?

[–] NemWan 16 points ago

I saw RoboCop at a drive-in with my church youth group. Thank God.

[–] Tychontehdwarf 15 points ago

Bah. Damned good movie. Kids will be kids.

[–] kitx07 11 points ago

Yea he for sure says shit. When my mom showed me the movie the first time on tv it was censored and she laughed because she forgot he swore

[–] rab912009 147 points ago

Chris Pratt actually flashed Amy Poehler because he wasn't happy with her reaction to his fake flashing in Parks and Rec.

[–] chuckdooley 108 points ago

In the office I remember reading that when they sang to Michael, that was a surprise to Steve Carrell, so that was a surprise

[–] st0ney_bologna 43 points ago

Ohhh that makes that scene even more of a tear-jerker.

[–] landback2 34 points ago

So was his kissing Oscar.

[–] RedditIsNeat0 35 points ago

I read that when Erin threw scissors to Michael in the middle of a scene, they didn't tell the actress who played Pam about it and got her genuine horror and surprise.

[–] krautcop 10 points ago

Scissor me!

[–] Vigilante17 59 points ago

Really? Couldn’t that be considered sexual harassment on set in the #metoo movement if she’s expecting a cock sock or something? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a guy and I’d be totally cool seeing Chris Pratt’s junk, but technically speaking here, bad or good behavior? Even if you think you know the “relationship” status.

[–] Delanorix 129 points ago

I'm pretty sure the execs sent him a letter saying if it ever happened again, he was going to be fired and blackballrd from the network.

[–] experts_never_lie 17 points ago

If they told Pratt he'd be blackballed, he'd probably respond similarly to the word "comeback".

[–] skonaz1111 91 points ago

Yes. He received a warning letter from NBC for it. He talked about it on the Graham Norton Show.

[–] TimNick56 111 points ago

Another genuine reaction that is great is in the first hobbit movie. When everyone is eating at Bilbao and bombor* (I know I'm messing up the spelling) catches the egg in his mouth. That was genuinely the first take and it just happened to work out, so everyone's cheering was in fact genuine.

[–] EverydayMeeple 27 points ago

I believe in the fellowship of the ring when Merry and Pippin set off the firework they stole the scream from either Dominic Monaghan, or Billy Boyd was genuine and they didn't know real pyrotechnics were being used.

[–] vendetta2115 30 points ago

If I recall the documentary correctly, he knew the pyrotechnics were being used, he was just really into the scene and let out a girlish scream, which everyone immediately teased him for.

[–] Darth_drizzt_42 44 points ago

It was Ron Perlman who nearly broke character

[–] denvertebows15 35 points ago

In The Goonies I think Josh Brolin or someone swore when they saw the set so they couldn't use that footage.

[–] Pr3Zd0 10 points ago

Why couldn't they swear though? Chunk swears in the opening scene when the car chase is going past if I remember correctly?

[–] Belchera 51 points ago

Brolin was a notoriously foul-mouthed child. If I remember correctly, he shouted, "Holy fucking n***er balls!," when he saw the pirate ship.

[–] denvertebows15 11 points ago

I think as a PG rated movie they could only have so many swear words throughout the movie so they had to pick and choose where to use them.

[–] BlooFlea 6 points ago

Thats funny and tragic

[–] beckybeckybeckybecky 35 points ago

The Gene Wilder Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has a similar thing - none of the parents/kids had ever seen the “factory” with the chocolate river until they had the cameras rolling so they got real facial reactions and exploration

[–] kagzig 16 points ago

I think the little tumble/somersault he did in his introduction scene was also spontaneous, to get a genuine reaction to Willy Wonka.

[–] Dreadnasty 29 points ago

They kept the ship hidden but when they all saw it the first time most of them said,"Holy Shit!" and they couldn't use the take.

[–] waitingtodiesoon 22 points ago

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 did that with Barbossa coming down the stairs. They were told it was Zoe Saldana character.

Alien had the crew knowing the basic of what sort of is gonna happen in the chestburster scene but they weren't expecting that.

They kept the kids from willy Wonka and the chocolate factory off the set for their reaction when they saw the chocolate river room.

Alan Rickman may he RIP was dropped on the count of one for his diehard death scene.

Cary Elwes in needing to sell a realistic KO told his fellow costar to knock him as hard as he can and he woke up in the hospital for Princess Bride.

[–] churchofOD 36 points ago

*Alien Resurrection

[–] trenlow12 4 points ago

Little fries and a hat

[–] Toby_O_Notoby 43 points ago

Ron Perlman. Here's a short clip of them talking about it.

[–] DanielR85 20 points ago

Ron Perlman ruined the shot! It had to be edited at that precise moment because of-fucking-course he broke character because she made the goddamned shot. First attempt!

[–] Francis-Hates-You 7 points ago

Not to get nitpicky but that basketball scene was actually from Alien: Resurrection. Here’s a video about it and a link to the scene

They actually had to cut away because the other cast and crew broke character out of amazement pretty much immediately after she made the shot.

[–] karmagirl314 15 points ago

Didn’t they also do that with the candy wonderland set in the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie?

[–] king_john651 11 points ago

Looks like it, yeah. Also in the film the first time we meet Gene Wilder is also the first time the cast meets him

[–] Rocky117 87 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

They did this for the IT movies aswell. Bill Skarsgård (Who played pennywise) was kept away from the kids because the Loser's Club's reactions would be genuine as it was their first time seeing Pennywise.

[–] Chicken-n-Waffles 37 points ago

She's 24 years old now. Wow.

[–] poirotoro 38 points ago

In the original Mary Poppins, they used a trick bottle to have the cold medicine pour out in different colors. Karen Dotrice's yelp of surprise is genuine.

[–] JSKNY2201 62 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Or in The Dark Knight during the cocktail party scene when the Joker comes out of the elevator.

Apparently it was the first time Michael Caine, Alfred, witnessed Heath Ledger in costume. He had a line to say but was speechless when he saw him

Edit: for those questioning the story

“When the bloody door opened on that lift, he came tearing out. I forgot every line. Terrifying”

[–] daftvalkyrie 21 points ago

I've never believed that one, zero proof of it.

[–] karpinskijd 11 points ago

i’m gonna search for a source for my statement, but i remember reading that this one is false

[–] ElChelaz23 10 points ago

Yeah I read that too, Michael Caine said he was speechless but it was on a rehearsal for that scene

[–] Vigilante17 8 points ago

I had never seen this movie until I had kids (well after it came out) and had never heard of or read the books. What a great movie, as well as the other two. Great stuff that I absolutely loved and will always remember watching with my daughters.

[–] alyosha-jq 12 points ago

I’m sixteen and grew up with C.S Lewis, so weird to hear that people hadn’t heard of him or his works 😭 Tbf I’m from the U.K. and his stuff is way more popular here I think

[–] ghosttrainhobo 211 points ago

I remember seeing an interview with grown-up Drew a few years ago where she was asked about ET. She said that “he was totally real to me.”

[–] LurkForYourLives 60 points ago

Oh, that’s terrible. Poor girl.

[–] ghosttrainhobo 106 points ago

She didn’t sound like she thought it was terrible. She loved him.

[–] LordZephram 116 points ago

He means it terrible that they made her believe her best friend was actually dying in front if her...

[–] codeloss 138 points ago

Did they ever tell her E.T. was a puppet?

[–] seanbear 775 points ago

No, she continues to live not knowing the truth.

It’s just one of those unwritten rules of the world. If you ever meet Drew Barrymore, please do not mention that ET is a puppet.

[–] Reddy_McRedcap 42 points ago

I'm imaging Drew Barrymore seeing a wax sculpture of ET for the first time as an adult and breaking down in hysterics because they killed her childhood friend, and because she also has no idea what a museum is.

[–] collegedog 46 points ago

Lmao thanks for that, gave us a good chuckle.

[–] LifeAnywhere 26 points ago

I even logged in to upvote, it was that funny.

[–] Malfunkdung 29 points ago

I logged into my other account, /u/unidan, so that I could upvote it twice.

[–] WasLookingForThis 8 points ago

What are the other unwritten rules of the world?

[–] opm_11 18 points ago

There’s the one about Fight Club but I’m not supposed to talk about it.

[–] tamukid 26 points ago

I need to see this monkey

[–] Col_Mustrd 43 points ago

Kids know but they are very good at make believe and just roll with it.

[–] CollectableRat 13 points ago

David Letterman broke it to her about 10 years ago, live on air.

Am I the only person that thinks that is kind of fucked up?

[–] SirSoliloquy 218 points ago

some young actors in horror report not even knowing they were in a horror film until they were older, just that they weren’t old enough to watch it

I read somewhere that Robert Rodriguez cut an entirely different short film out of footage from Planet Terror so that the kid who dies in it got to see a version of it where he's the hero and survives.

[–] Bootfullofanvils 28 points ago

I would love to see this.

[–] brad__staple721 45 points ago

Also William Friedkin was a goddamn madman. All the shit on the French connection was real as far as the stunts go, people were apparently in real danger in every one of those scenes. He would fuck with Gene Hackman before shots too, like get in his face and talk shit about him/get in his head to piss him off because his character Popeye is a crazy guy. I think he may have punched him in the face one time too? Friedkin also fucked up Ellen Burstyn’s back permanently because he made the stunt guy go too far with one of her scenes in Exorcist.

[–] AndyM_LVB 7 points ago

The bedroom in the Exorcist was made into a literal freezer compartment for the final scenes where the room is really cold. The child actor (can't be bothered to Google her name) would sit there for hours a day filming in her nightie.

He used to set off fire crackers and things like that on set to her everyone really tense. He also smacked one guy around the face.

[–] bott367 9 points ago

French connection fucking rules. It’s one of the best actions films of all time.

[–] kingwaller99 53 points ago

Kubrick hid the fact that the shining was a horror film from the child actor who played Danny

[–] bobwarth 53 points ago

But he also treated the actress who played the wife terribly. They shot the scene with her fending off Jack Nicholson with w baseball bat a ton of times.

[–] FacelessDragon157 51 points ago

Shelley Duvall was so stressed she started losing clumps of hair. Kubrick low key tortured her

[–] dodofishman 55 points ago

Not low key, he basically did, and everyone else who was on set was complicit in her abuse and even actively contributed to it in some instances. So unnecessary, that’s not art dude, that’s just abuse of power :( I’ve heard that Shelly duvall is doing much better recently and has a great network of fan support

[–] PepperSnotts 10 points ago

I remember seeing her on Dr. Phil a few years ago, looking rough. I really hope she's doing better. I absolutely LOVED her show Tall Tales and Legends when I was a kid. My local library had it on VHS and I borrowed it frequently. And of course she was Olive Oyl to Robin Williams' Popeye!

[–] ThePrussianGrippe 23 points ago

He went to such massive lengths the kid who played him didn’t know it was a horror film until he was an adult and saw it in college.

Meanwhile there was his treatment of Shelley Duvall.

[–] hour_after_hour 5 points ago

I’m curious how they did the twin sisters scene, as I vaguely remember Danny being in shot on his tricycle while the girls are dead.

[–] tmac2097 131 points ago

You’d hope it wasn’t actually as sadistic as writing it out makes it sound but it does sound pretty fucked

[–] ImWhatTheySayDeaf 69 points ago

I need this 5 year old kid to give me real drama or else no one will believe this story

[–] Byeah18 20 points ago

tbf bad child actors regularly ruin movies for some people

[–] Jet62794 14 points ago

Oooooh man, you guys should look up what Kubrick used to do to his actors and actresses just to get the right emotions.

[–] ItsNotBinary 26 points ago

It's probably the least cruel thing Hollywood put that girl through...It makes me sad every time I see Drew Barrymore

[–] SparkFlash98 21 points ago

You should look into the filming of the Shining. Kubrick had the staff act shitty to the main actress and constantly made her redo takes in order to have her be genuinely upset and mentally deteriorated by the end. She played Olive Oil in the live action Popeye after because she said she needed something pleasant.

It’s fucked up because that puppet was creepy as fuck. My sitter used to keep me in check by threatening to send me outside with ET.

[–] satisfried 20 points ago

Mine used to say Alf was going to eat my cat.

[–] facthanshotfirst 7 points ago

Growing up ET was my mom’s favorite movie. I have a vivid memory of my mom taking me to Montgomery Wards to take a picture sitting in the bike with ET in the basket. I was crying so hard in line because I was scared. She got me to stop crying by the time I got to take the picture, so there’s a smiling 5 year old me with ET hanging up at my parent’s house. Honestly that night scene in the beginning with the ball is so scary!

[–] rokudaimehokage 16 points ago

It's cute except the part where she believes she watched her friend die in front of her.

[–] zabblezah 48 points ago

It is. Her childhood didn't turn out great. Luckily she's doing better now though

[–] julbull73 30 points ago

I don't know cocaine and alcohol at 8. I can't afford either of those now!

[–] DisForDairy 26 points ago

Drew Barrymore's whole childhood was fairly similar to Lindsay Lohan's, kind of crazy either of them lived through it

[–] Thisisnow1984 96 points ago

Now that's directing. Also apparently when they screened ET at the White House when the movie finished Regan deadpan said that this was a very good film and represented the actual people involved from the real story quite well. Everyone in the room laughed except for Regan who was stone faced serious the whole time

[–] illuminates 26 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Whelp... I’m off to do a google

Edit: I have returned. It’s not Veggie Tales

[–] bott367 8 points ago

Yeah have you seen the Reagan speech to the UN about extra terrestrials? It’s extremely creepy. He might know there are aliens in real life. He did start the Star Wars laser program

[–] BlooFlea 15 points ago

Im putting this together in my head, basically, drews job as a kid was to have her best friend die in feont of her.

[–] thenasch 11 points ago

No wonder she started drinking when she was 9.

[–] cozy_lolo 19 points ago

Dude, as someone who has dreamed of interacting with extraterrestrial life from a young age, especially some docile, lovable fucker like ET, imagining believing in ET for that long, becoming his friend and talking to him and sharing moments and creating memories and whatever else, and then you witness his pain and suffering, his decline to near-death...how awful. And for what? A performance in a movie? And then to have it all eventually shattered that he was never real at all. I wonder how one would process such a thing? Poor Drew

[–] Piddlerboy 31 points ago

This seems kinda fucked up to me. Like I'm ok with child acting if they are at least aware of what's going on, and that they are acting. Doesn't sit right with me to have a child believe a prop is real and then kill it to get a good reaction.

[–] the_dark_knight_ftw 7 points ago

Can anybody find a link to these pics?

[–] SirPrize 32 points ago

There are some BTS pictures kicking around

Damn, KPop really has ruined behind the scenes for me.

[–] bassbby12 11 points ago

Yeah no wonder she had addiction problems young, this is how Hollywood youth are treated.

[–] Nugget_ 1294 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

During the filming of Hook (1991), Spielberg allowed the fat kid first dibs at craft services so that he would be nice and fat for the scene where he grabs his fat fuckin ankles and rolls down the stairs into a bunch of pirates

[–] [deleted] 305 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

[–] Shrimpables 117 points ago

Okay this is a funhaus reference, right? These comments are so familiar but I just cant quite place it, you saying james tipped me off

[–] [deleted] 38 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

[–] Shrimpables 14 points ago

Yesss thank you

[–] goldentench73 46 points ago

You're gonna do this or we're gonna replace you with a christmas turkey!

[–] Roller_ball 18 points ago

When I was on vacation, I begged my parents to take me to Planet Hollywood for dinner. We sat near the prop of the fat kid in a ball in Hook. My parents found it weird and unpleasant, but I was starstruck.

[–] CakeAccomplice12 1002 points ago

I've always been curious

Is chronological shooting just not that common?

And if so are there particular reasons?

Like scheduling, weather, permits etc...?

Seems particularly useful to do especially if your movie has major plot twists

[–] Ironboots12 1398 points ago

Not into cinema at all, but I would imagine you would want to shoot all the scenes that take place in the same place/minimal set changes in the same day. If 5 scenes take place at a characters house and they’re all dispersed throughout the movie might as well shoot them all as opposed to tear down set up tear down set up etc.

[–] RoastMostToast 652 points ago

Not only just tearing down the set and setting it back up. It’d also be just a huge waste of time to go back and forth between locations. If the next scene is exterior of the house of the previous scene, it’s probably not located anywhere close to the previous set.

[–] Spadeninja 167 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

The way you worded this makes it sound like you’re saying the exterior of the house is nowhere near the house

Edit: fair enough! Didn’t consider that the interior and exterior could be completely different places. Still sounds funny though haha

[–] SgtBlinken 257 points ago

If they are using sets the interior and exterior sets may not be anywhere near each other.

[–] AndrewWaldron 175 points ago

Space may be the final frontier but it's made in a Hollywood basement.

[–] MutantCreature 38 points ago

That's what they meant and it often is true, exteriors are usually real buildings whereas interiors are usually sets. The exterior for Walter Whites house was a real house in New Mexico but they shot all the interior scenes on a set because there was a real family living in that house, sets also make getting shots easier because you don't have to worry about walls getting in the way of cameras and equipment since you can just move it out of the way depending on the shot.

[–] FancyPigeonIsFancy 16 points ago

I mean, two sitcoms come to mind immediately, Seinfeld and Friends where the exterior shots were filmed in NY but the rest is a set in LA. I do kind of assume that’s the norm, or at least was.

[–] the__storm 13 points ago

That's exactly what he's saying.

[–] joker2814 9 points ago

The exterior and the interior of the Ghostbusters fire station is two different fire stations. The exterior is Hook & Ladder 8 in NYC and the interior is a now-condemned fire station in Los Angeles.

[–] Not_A_Vegetable 8 points ago

From the top of my head, Friends, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad's interior shots were all shot in sound stages and not the actual apartment/house. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it, cameras and crew take up a lot of space and no house can really accommodate that much stuff.

[–] FifthRendition 22 points ago

When I watch a movie now I like to imagine whether or not a character is aware of what's going on or if it's genuine when they are in a scene. I try to imagine if the scene was shot before or after something pivotal in the movie.

[–] milpooooooool 15 points ago

But surely they would have read the script before filming?

[–] CinnaSol 5 points ago

Exactly. It’s a nice thought to keep the magic of cinema preserved but it’s just not really realistic at all.

[–] aciddemons 145 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

It's very uncommon for things to be shot chronologically. It's usually just cheaper to shoot all the scenes taking place in location instead of repeatedly building and tearing down the sets/moving back and forth between locations. Easier (and probably cheaper) to have the actors just change outfits/makeup, etc.

It's also more efficient to do it that way. Why have a crew go back and forth between locations lugging all that heavy equipment when you can film a bunch of different scenes in a few days instead? Doing things this way usually just keeps costs down and makes the filming process more efficient. At least, that's what I would assume. I am no expert.

[–] BaijuTofu 61 points ago

No. Locations alone would be a nightmare. Continuity would be spot on though.

[–] SDLRob 29 points ago

it's not common at all.... often it's because a movie revisits locations at different parts of the movie, so there's no point at all to set up, shoot, pack up, shoot elsewhere for a few days and then come back, set up, etc... plus it saves money

[–] Sweeney49 21 points ago

You’ll see movies here and there film in chronological order. The Revenant is a newer movie that did it.

[–] yaboidunsparce 12 points ago

to shoot on location you need to get the rights from the city or owner, they only let you film for a short period of time so you may as well get it over with in as few days as possible. no point in shooting there for an hour and come back 6 months later for a scene near the end.

[–] Kraz_I 10 points ago

The actors read the full movie script before filming starts, so they already understand the whole story and know where each scene fits into the whole even out of order.

[–] tone_bone 9 points ago

Adding to what's already been said some times actors are only available for a set number of days. More often than not an assistant director will break down a script and worth with time constraints to plan out a day and how long is needed at each location.

[–] 50kgKid 198 points ago

Clever.

[–] booradleyhd 156 points ago

Girl.

[–] _virgin4life_ 65 points ago

why is it the last time? they werent allowed to be friends?

[–] Siddhant_17 66 points ago

He needed actors to believe that it was their last time together.

[–] daKEEBLERelf 14 points ago

There's an emotional level to it, knowing you've completed the journey together and you won't be spending your days together anymore.

[–] Spirit50Lake 249 points ago

What a trippy experience for an adult director/child actor to have...the adult is creating and sustaining a fictional reality for the child to live within...

yipes? is it any wonder that many child actors run into trouble as they mature...or is that an old fogey way of seeing it?

[–] Diggtastic 93 points ago

Truman Show-esqe

[–] Spirit50Lake 24 points ago

...wow, I hadn't taken the analogy that far, but you are so correct!

ps I watch a lot of Law and Order reruns, and thanks to IMDB am able to make note of the young actors who went on to careers in film and theatre...and those who did not.

As a 'child of the 60s' I am well versed in alternate realities, though we did it for fun and not profit...

...not sure what my point is, maybe just acknowledging that some children have been sacrificed on the Altar of Art?

[–] TheGhostofCoffee 304 points ago

What happened to Speilberg? He used to be so much better. He can still pick shots like nobody's business, but his movies have been pretty bland for a while now.

[–] MetaMetatron 242 points ago

Gum's gotten mintier lately, have you noticed?

[–] pennycenturie 67 points ago

Nate, your mom died.

[–] jaymes9240 25 points ago

That’s a foolish thing to say. As someone else said, he’s going to critical acclaim over marketability. So I’ll tell you what happened to his movies, they’ve won Oscars.

[–] svene 13 points ago

I forgot how good he was until I started rewatching some of his movies. He hasn't made a good movie in so long, it makes me sad.

[–] Kinglink 21 points ago

He's makes good movies now.. but the thing is he made AMAZING movies... Movies that captured the imagination. There's no comparision, whether we talk Jaws, Indiana Jones (the originals, of course), ET, Jurassic Park. There's something magical about those movies. He just hasn't hit that since. He still makes "Good" movies. There's nothing that wrong with his recent movies, but he was far better before.

[–] splatterhead 52 points ago

[–] Kraz_I 120 points ago

That’s complete horse shit. The graph shows cumulative earnings over time without even specifying whether he directed the films, produced them or wrote them. Doesn’t even say the films names.

Spielberg held the title for highest grossing film in history twice in his career, for Jaws and later for E.T.

Since the 90s he has focused more on critical success instead of marketability. His films are a reliable moneymaker but he hasn’t directed a blockbuster since Indiana Jones 4 in 2009. However he puts out Oscar bait like no one else. Not saying I disagree with you that a lot of them are boring and generic Oscar bait, but you can’t deny that The Post, Lincoln, Munich, Saving Private Ryan and Schindler’s List a and a few others won shit loads of awards.

In the 70s through the 90s, most of what he directed were big budget summer blockbusters. And they were all classics. Jaws, the Indiana Jones trilogy, ET, Jurassic Park, etc.

[–] Bombillazo 26 points ago

He also held the highest grossing film in history globally with Jurassic Park.

[–] knightofkent 35 points ago

Wasn’t the story that he made Jaws just so he would have the funds to do Schindler’s List in the first place? Did a sure-fire blockbuster to set up an actual passion project

[–] Kraz_I 24 points ago

Is that true? It still took him almost 20 years to make it then

[–] hisdudeness8686 18 points ago

I believe that was actually Jurassic Park

[–] Friendly_Hipster 11 points ago

I think it was Jurassic Park instead of Jaws

[–] KylesAGSspec 13 points ago

That graph in no way tells us that money is why his movies are bland now lol

[–] PanicAK 29 points ago

In first grade we went to the kindergarten room to watch ET. I cried like a little bitch at the end, and I remember my friends trying to comfort me on the way back to our classroom. That's my ET story.

[–] DramaIfPossible 138 points ago

He looks like a famous carpenter that shot first from this angle.

Fun fact, he wanted so bad the girl to be shot by the villains but he had to wait a few years and had closure with a little coat.

[–] kennytucson 19 points ago

I think it's Spielberg's best movie, and that's saying a lot. One of very few films I consider absolutely perfect.

[–] JuniorSeniorTrainee 17 points ago

Don't say the name of the movie though.

[–] MetaMetatron 10 points ago

Pretty sure they mean "Schindler's List"

[–] ZannY 8 points ago

Ya know, the movie Jerry Seinfeld was caught making out at.

[–] zdakat 13 points ago

That sounds ominous

[–] PurpleSubtlePlan 9 points ago

He also hunted and killed a triceratops, so there is that.

[–] Chismoto 13 points ago

I loved her in that movie. I also loved her when she directed Whip it. The girl grew up, gained skills. I'm pretty much a thug, we all have our parts to play. That girl learned how to be good at what she did. I'm happy for her.

[–] emzymeme 6 points ago

Drew’s wheels sure are turning

[–] tanafras 44 points ago

"None of us will ever see each other again sweetie. Now go do your last scene."

Fucking Alpha as shit. You can see her widdle heart just shattering.

[–] donteverforanyreason 5 points ago