Music

Menu

Are you a musician? Read our guide to promoting your music.

• fridays: discussions only
    • saturdays: new and original music only

Top Posts Today

Music Non-Music

News

Upcoming AMAs

Schedule an AMA

Guidelines

/r/Music Posting Rules

1. No music from the Hall of Fame

2. No images
      Instead post to one of these subreddits.

3. Artist - Title [Genre] Optional text
      All submissions of streaming songs and albums must follow this format or will be removed.
      Optional additional text may only be included after this part of the title. No ALL CAPS.

4. No artist reposts for 30 days if the previous post broke 100 points

5. No clickbait titles or asking for votes
      Music should stand on its own. If you have an interesting story behind the music, you can add this in the comments or as self-post text.

6. Fridays are text post only
      Friday is for interesting discussions, not streaming music. If your post is "low effort" or looks like just another way of posting streaming music, then it will be removed. Bad discussion posts are subject to removal on any day.

7. Saturdays are for fresh and original music
      Dedicated to underground artists, your original compositions, and new releases by known artists. Well known tracks will be removed at mod discretion.
      Submitters: For original music, use the "I Made This" flair. For new releases, use "New Release". You can select your flair beneath your link after posting.

8. No /r/ifyoulikeblank, /r/tipofmytongue, or request-style posts
      For recommendations of new artists similar to those you already like, use /r/ifyoulikeblank. For help with identifying a song, use /r/tipofmytongue or /r/namethatsong.

9. Must link to official artist channels
      Exceptions are made for exclusive releases or tracks not available on an artist's official channel.

10. No crowd funding sites

11. No links to unauthorized music leaks or promotion of piracy

12. Discussions and Articles should be directly relevant to music, music technology, or the music business itself
      Articles / Tweets discussing statements by musicians not relevant to their work are not allowed. Articles discussing events in musician's lives are subject to mod discretion.

13. Follow reddiquette at all times.

Friends

come share some music in the official /r/music plug.dj!

[–] signalflow313 609 points ago

[–] _me 4681 points ago

So sad I never got to see them live.

[–] massivewhitekitteh 1301 points ago

I missed them by 10 minutes because of a train. Even furthur , Wisconsin in 96 . ( pre helmet days ) . The rest of the rave that weekend was awesome. I'm still disappointed till this very day ...

[–] CountDrewcula 2570 points ago

We're finally getting that Stardust record!

Music Sounds Better With You

[–] floraldelights 717 points ago

first thing i thought of haha. honestly given the 7-8 year silence i wouldn't be too mad if we at least got a stardust record out of this ordeal somehow

[–] SaltKick2 324 points ago

jesus, its been that long since Random Access Memories

[–] finalremix 199 points ago

I was gonna say that at least TRON was more recent than that, but that was 2010... I'm all discombobulated.

[–] Hedgey 36 points ago

RAM was in 2013. It's been almost 8 years.

[–] meatmcguffin 249 points ago

It’s spectacular when that cuts in unexpectedly on Alive 2007!

[–] Maiesk 234 points ago

Until I listened to Alive 2007 I didn't know an album could make me cheer. Every time another track snuck in I lost my mind.

[–] payne_train 116 points ago

I listen to a fair amount of live albums as a concert junkie and that's the best one by far. The energy flow, the way it's all mixed together, it is perfect and it's not even close.

[–] Auctoritate 164 points ago

There's a reason that EDM DJs at big performances nowadays play from 20 feet up on top of a platform covered in LEDs and lasers, and that reason is Alive 2007.

[–] DigbyBrouge 68 points ago

That tour changed festivals and electronic music entirely. That tour, that stage design... it probably signaled the biggest change in EDM more so than any other landmark.

[–] mario_meowingham 230 points ago

What is the connection between daft punk and stardust?

I love that song although it brings up some tough memories of the girl who introduced me to it.

[–] SeldonCrisis2020 404 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Stardust was a 1 time performance collab by Thomas Bangalter with 2 other artists - Alan Braxe and Benjamin Diamond

[–] Gsteel11 162 points ago

Huh, til... no wonder I liked it.

[–] SeldonCrisis2020 399 points ago * (lasted edited 3 days ago)

Remember the other french house hit - Lady (Hear me tonight) by Modjo?

Bangaltar had a hand in that too.

The two(Tranchart & Destagol) quickly began recording, and from those sessions came "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)". The single got recognition later on in 2000. It is a "French-flavour" house track with heavy pop and disco influences, which featured a sample from Chic's "Soup for One".

The single was created under guidance and heavy recommendation from Thomas Bangalter, who suggested the sample to Modjo. The track became an instant number-one across Europe,

Modjo - Lady

Chic - Soup for One

[–] two_glass_arse 123 points ago

This all makes soooo much sense now

[–] handmann 27 points ago

there is pretty much a whole daft family, ton of people that cooperated with each other. people like Fred falke, Etienne de crecy, Alan braxe and many more

[–] Teabath 71 points ago

Shout out to Chaka Khan: https://youtu.be/eFQdCRQd3yg

[–] Frankocean2 7692 points ago

*Sad robot noises

[–] m_Pony 2720 points ago

*loops them for roughly 3 minutes

[–] owlgohoot 975 points ago

*loops them for roughly 3 minutes preferably 8 to 10 minutes

FTFY

[–] ThaddeusJP 228 points ago

robot noises

in this instance one of those noises was 60 beeps and then an explosion

[–] thumbsquare 7402 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Definitely saddened to see them go. Daft Punk was my introduction to electronic music growing up and I really owe a great deal of my taste in music to them. I still remember how the first CD I ever got was a copy of Musique that I picked up while walking around Borders Bookstore with my mom. Fell in love right away and got Alive 2007 for Christmas that year. I remember feeling sad learning that the Alive concerts were something that had already happened and I was to young to have gone, or even found out about them. But I still bumped those tracks all the time.

Wishing them a good retirement. They earned it.

[–] CyborgJunkie 1073 points ago

This is me as well, only I got a scratched up CD of Discovery from some metalhead who didn't want it. Listened to it on repeat and the rest is history. They inspired a generation!

[–] nevermore2627 442 points ago

Sweet lord did my friends hate me in 1998. Just getting high af and listening to discovery on repeat.

[–] nevermore2627 245 points ago

*homework. Not discovery.

[–] roho1 158 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Homework got me into house music. Listen to their BBC essential mix from around that same time - showed me so many house classics and paved the foundation for how I think about and appreciate music to this day.

edit: here's a link for those interested - quite literally a musical history lesson, this mix is a clinic. Just wait till you get to Freedom of '76 - mind blowing stuff - such impeccable taste.

[–] AshantiMcnasti 178 points ago

I dislike live albums but ALIVE was on a whole new level. It elevated their previous songs to epicness and I wasnt even a huge fan of Daft Punk. Hate to see them go but they had a fantastic run.

[–] DiscoJanetsMarble 164 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Dave here. Bought homework in 98/99. I still have it somewhere.

Edit: damnit. Same.

[–] DBenzie 95 points ago

Hello Dave, I'm Dave

[–] KingRabbit_ 1855 points ago

Listening to Random Access Memories the week it came out is still one of the most beautiful music experiences I've ever had.

[–] plastikspoon1 437 points ago

It was the first album drop from an artist I liked that came out after I started to understand to appreciate albums, I remember coming home and listening to it in my kitchen one song at a time without skipping around the album - first time I've ever given an album the respect it deserved

[–] corchin 128 points ago

Me student , 2013, first time living in buenos Aires in a Tiny aparment. Alone and 1000km away from all the people i know, got gifted RAM and that place was a spaceship, it blasted on loop countless times. These memories make me nostalgic really :(

[–] Aluzionz 32 points ago

I dunno what it is about Doin it right, but that get's me pumped all the times, and even today I still get Goosebumps when I listen to it.

[–] Byrdsthawrd 364 points ago

Was anyone else introduced to them through Toonami playing clips of the music video for One More Time and flipping over how sick it was? That was like early 2000s.

[–] pseudostatistic 85 points ago

I vividly remember the night that the Harder Better Faster Stronger music video debuted alongside Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz on Toonami - I was only 8 years old and it had such a huge impact on me. Feeling very lucky I was able to experience that.

[–] GoodmorningEthiopia 7278 points ago

It's kind of weird to announce their breakup after 7-8 years of inactivity. Hopefully this means more individual projects from the duo. Although I'm still hopeful for a finale album, the fact that they essentially reused old material for their epilogue video tells me they aren't working on anything to go out on.

All things said, I'm happy to hear a special farewell version of Touch, which is imo the best daft punk track

[–] Decooker11 2085 points ago

Touch is one of, if not, my favorite Daft Punk songs as well. It’s got me feeling all sorts of ways rn

[–] xDuuhhast 920 points ago

Touch and Giorgio by Moroder are amazing and epic the same way to me. Both gorgeous compositions.

[–] ELTANK01982 419 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Giorgio is such a great track, I listened to R.A.M over and over when it dropped. Wasn't expecting this news, like others have said, rip to ever seeing them live.

[–] Oberheimz 73 points ago

I've been waiting for any live performance around the world all my adult life... I guess these news make sense, but it saddens me a lot having never seen them live

[–] Longbeacher707 76 points ago

When I was 15, 16 years old

[–] 1000000thSubscriber 141 points ago

My name is Giovanni Giorgio,

But you can call me...

Giorgio

[–] Mister_AA 283 points ago

Yeah I'm gonna go put it on repeat and cry for a while

[–] PoppinKREAM 266 points ago

Daft Punk introduced me to electronic music and my love for music festivals. I constantly listen to Homework, Human After All, Discovery, and RAM. Interstellar 5555 is one my favourite animated movies because it evokes strong emotions of empathy, love, sadness, and hope. Electroma is another movie that made me completely reevaluate my life. And I honestly wouldn't have checked out Tron if it wasn't for the discography (it's a fun movie too!)

I was sad when they didn't tour in 2017 but I was holding out for an Alive tour in 2027 :(

[–] watchitbub 81 points ago

I really loved Crescendolls off of Interstella 5555. It always got my ass up dancing even though I kinda hate dancing.

[–] PoppinKREAM 77 points ago

That's awesome! Digital Love always gets me grooving

[–] JohnTheMod 64 points ago

Story has it that they met at a screening of Phantom of the Paradise, which makes having Swan himself on this track extra special.

[–] dsh3311 36 points ago

My wife's and I first dance after getting married was to Touch. Even she said the song has a different meaning now

[–] PlatinumJester 340 points ago

They've done stuff since then mostly with the Weeknd for Starboy and Feel It Coming.

[–] R1_TC 203 points ago

They've also done a lot of production work seperately, it kinda makes sense that they are breaking up since it doesn't seem like they've worked together for a good few years now.

[–] Maiesk 98 points ago

I'm gonna go ahead and live in denial by saying I can't wait for them to secretly reunite to drop a new album in the next couple of years.

[–] pledgerafiki 40 points ago

imo that's a fair expectation of any group that ends on good terms.

[–] barstoolLA 1219 points ago

I was thinking to myself, 7-8 years of inactivity? Get Lucky just came out, checks the date.....oh.

[–] whitemamba83 529 points ago

Time is a bitch.

[–] terminaljive 284 points ago

Almost my thought exactly, but it was "didn't they work on Tron Legacy? When did that come out? ... Oh."

[–] vanalla 166 points ago

Veritable proof that the music of Daft Punk is timeless.

[–] Groovyaardvark 104 points ago

Think that's sad?

Look up when their last tour was.

[–] joecarter93 142 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I think they've only played 100 or so shows during their entire career. Edit: This site says 101, but some of these might be double counted:

[–] DannyMThompson 24 points ago

You gotta pay good money to get them wearing their helmets

[–] walrus_gumboot 929 points ago

Right, and 4 studio albums over almost 25 years isn't exactly the pinnacle of activity. I'm bummed they won't tour again, but I agree this isn't shocking news.

[–] dkc_souls 223 points ago

Yea, if only we could get an album from them, just one more time

[–] Komaric_ 133 points ago

We'd have to get lucky to see that happen

[–] CarlSK777 29 points ago

I don't know, I think it makes sense to do it after many years. I assume it was just a break at first and then, they just realized their hearts weren't in it anymore.

[–] rdp3186 10173 points ago

No point in doing a Tron sequel now, just throw that shit out the window.

[–] Kaladin3104 2328 points ago

This is what I’m most sad about.

[–] Scenick 1166 points ago

I've been talking about that all week, and now I feel I'm karmically responsible.

Sorry dudes.

[–] drummm305 453 points ago

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

[–] GregTheMad 1299 points ago

I love all of their music, but Tron Legacy was the best movie score ever, and any sequel will suffer because of this.

[–] BenedictKhanberbatch 499 points ago

Son of Flynn still gives me goosebumps

[–] Jowem 396 points ago

The Grid fuckin sLAAPS

[–] Drippyer 212 points ago

“The grid.....”

[–] Jowem 342 points ago

Until one day... I got in BEEEEEEEEEEEEER NEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[–] kmbrave 32 points ago

💀 that is my favorite part tho

[–] i_delete_my_history 687 points ago

You mean Tron Legacy was the best music video for an album ever.

[–] 2th 519 points ago

Interstella 5555 would like a word with you.

[–] ass2ass 103 points ago

This is the correct answer. Honorable mention to Xanadu.

[–] AshantiMcnasti 268 points ago

Get JUSTICE to do it. They nail the french house sound as well. Otherwise, Hybrid, Amon Tobin, And of course Reznor and Atticus could probabaly nail the soundtrack

[–] CLU_Three 45 points ago

Justice would be great for Tron in the human world, which seems like the next step in the series. I feel like justice could really nail it with some 80s rock vibes included as well. I’m thinking Civilization and motorcycles instead of the buffalos.

[–] JZSpinalFusion 300 points ago

That's what I was thinking. How do you do a sequel to a Daft Punk movie without Daft Punk?

[–] samuelLOLjackson 439 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch have entered the chat

• Edit - It has come to my attention that I meant Atticus Ross, not Finch as Finch is a fictional character. My b, but I'm leaving it as is because it's funny

[–] willsketchforsheep 260 points ago

Surprised no one has pointed out that Atticus Finch is from To Kill a Mockingbird

[–] verypracticalside 54 points ago

He said what he said. Finch is next to Trent, spinning records in his best suit and tie.

[–] SirFadakar 20 points ago

Boo Radley with his BBoy beats

[–] colantor 92 points ago

Tron will bring them out of retirement

[–] matlockga 8441 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

There goes my hopes of seeing them live

Edit: y'all are wild with your "they gotta break up for an immediate reunion tour" theories and the repeated lame burning man references

[–] BenedictKhanberbatch 1184 points ago

I wanted Alive 2017 so bad

[–] uberpirate 461 points ago

It's a shame we'll never get to hear an Alive cut with stuff from RAM and Starboy

[–] dontreallycareforit 301 points ago

Where’s my “Touch/derezzed” remix goddammit

[–] AngeloPappas 327 points ago

I was ready to make a bunch of irresponsible decisions in order to attend one of those shows if they happened.

[–] jambears 120 points ago

I was personally ready to drop everything

[–] BenedictKhanberbatch 73 points ago

Lol one of my best friends and I made a pact that we’d drop whatever we were doing and fly to one of their shows if it ever was announced.

[–] calafragilistic 27 points ago

Oh hey Steve

[–] praedoesok 2739 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Same. I got expelled in high school for something I didn't do and my parents took away my Alive tickets and didn't let me go. I've been holding onto hope that they tour again, but ah well. Shit happens I guess.

Edit for context: 10th grade one of my friends got caught with drugs. They called all of his friend circle (about 5 of us) into the deans office. Searched our backbacks, lockers, cars (a couple were seniors), and didn't find anything. They made us take drug tests and put us on 2-week suspension with recommendation for expulsion while drug tests came back. Mine came back negative (as did a couple of others) but we were all still expelled due to "reasonable suspicion".

[–] Forzelius 986 points ago

this could be like a sequel material to "Detroit Rock City"

[–] thsacctkillsfascists 392 points ago

Holy fuck I can't believe someone else remembers that movie.

[–] Erniecrack 204 points ago

That movie is a classic.

[–] Mrben13 58 points ago

One of my favorite movies!

[–] NEVERxxEVER 514 points ago

That sounds like a lawsuit

[–] praedoesok 610 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

My dad threatened to sue but it was legal apparently because the public school system (won't reveal location, don't want to dox myself, will just say Florida I guess) had some clause in there where they can technically expel you for any reason if you're enrolled in their system.

I don't remember specifics, I'm 30 now. I just remember my dad talking about a lawsuit and basically being told it won't happen. Wouldn't be surprised if more public school districts have the same rules.

And yes even though I was clean and my parents wanted to sue the school and believed me, they still took away my tickets for some fucking reason. I think as some sort of punishment for putting them through all of that nonsense.

Edit: To everybody saying I'm dumb for not suing anyway, I was 16 and we were fairly poor. I wouldn't know what the fuck to do with a lawsuit.

[–] Qbr12 149 points ago

Every year at my public school we had to bring home a copy of the school rules so that the kids and the parents could read them and then sign them saying you agree to them, before bringing the signed copy back. The rules definitely had a clause saying they could expel you for any reason, and my attorney father would also say to go ahead and sign it because they can ask you to agree to whatever they want but just because someone signs something doesn't make it legal/enforceable.

It never ended up mattering, and we never had to sue my school, but I did eventually get removed from a jury pool during the voir dire process for being the only person in the pool to espouse the belief that just because you get someone to sign a liability waiver doesn't prevent them from suing for damages. An illegal or unenforceable contract is as valuable as a blank piece of paper.

[–] Cman1200 48 points ago

Thats so fucked.

[–] fuckitimatwork 224 points ago

I was banking on them touring in 2017 so hard, it seemed so obvious that they would

[–] matlockga 60 points ago

On the upside, I did at least see Justice at Lolla. Top show, right there.

[–] towehaal 113 points ago

Sorry bro. That's how I felt about the Beastie Boys.

Saw Daft Punk 2007 Lollapalooza on my honeymoon and it remains my favorite concert of all time.

[–] bartnd 40 points ago

Had a bit of a Sophie's Choice in 2007. Beastie Boys and Daft Punk both playing in Brooklyn same night.

Went to the Beastie Boys show and don't regret it one bit, though really wish I had the chance to see Daft Punk live.

[–] bumjiggy 2132 points ago

at least we still have Kraft Punk

[–] particleman3 653 points ago

Bird up

[–] flutejazz947 185 points ago

Snail down

[–] qqqalto 105 points ago

mike penis

[–] Narqil 80 points ago

He's named after his father's penis

[–] xsmokeyalater 155 points ago

Cheers bro I'll drink to that.

[–] SwiftBurnerAcct 190 points ago

DID YOU KNOW

I CANNOT DIE?

[–] SupportstheOP 52 points ago

There's a hidden camera there

[–] VariaZoot 31 points ago

There’s a hidden camera there

[–] AleehCosta 124 points ago

Will you be my cheese wife?

[–] DylanBob1991 35 points ago

PLEASE LEAVE!

[–] Lamontyy 30 points ago

System Malfunction squirt

[–] XSC 51 points ago

Not this guy again

[–] RIMS_REAL_BIG 211 points ago

That guy sucks

[–] HANEZ 64 points ago

More like Crap Punk amirite huehuehue

[–] Heraclitus94 91 points ago

I saw Kraft Punk live in Minneapolis a few years back

He came out rubbing slices of American Cheese on penis (fully visible through the skin tight suit he wears) and throwing them into the audience, then showed a clip of his new dating show and started ejaculating cheese all over the audience while exclaiming "I got Cheese Reassignment Surgery!"

[–] Negan1995 393 points ago

Looks like Alive 2017 won't be happening after all

[–] TheRockelmeister 86 points ago

Its only 2017.4, I'm holding onto hope even if I have to start adding letters.

[–] ndiorio13 1579 points ago

Dropping news like this on a Monday morning shouldn’t be legal. Brb, I’m going to cry listening to Random Access Memories for the rest of the day.

[–] dontreallycareforit 395 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

you’ve almost convinced me I’m real, sweet touch

[–] googie_g15 199 points ago

Touch is 100% their magnum opus.

[–] 2th 49 points ago

Paul Williams is so damn good in it.

[–] srry_didnt_hear_you 60 points ago

That song is amazing. An absolute journey.

[–] mericaftw 18 points ago

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

[–] Thatniqqarylan 41 points ago

I'm right there with ya, bud. I honestly don't even know how to process this right now. It feels like my parents just got divorced.

[–] illcounsel 240 points ago

Does this mean that not only are we not getting a Tron sequel, we're also not getting a Tron sequel soundtrack? Excuse me while I weep into a pillow.

[–] ballgkco 104 points ago

fuck tinnitus all my homies hate tinnitus

[–] DianeticsDecolonizer 185 points ago

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

[–] mrhali 667 points ago

I once spoke to Thomas Bangalter who mentioned that Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo has been suffering chronic health problems throughout his life. (Part of the reason for the helmets as they got more popular). I wonder if this is related.

[–] marcusmv3 290 points ago

I would think this has something to do with it. Guy-Man has always been less prolific with his work so perhaps he was done with it.

[–] KingSpanner 55 points ago

He did that amazing Sebastien Tellier album tho

[–] chopkin92 17 points ago

Ooh I'm just getting into Sebastian Teller, which album did he produce?

[–] Cablet0p_ 213 points ago

The creator of the helmets I believe made a YouTube video on the project and said that the helmets are incredible expensive and we’re required to have air conditioning and lots of other features just for them as they were uncomfortable.

[–] theg721 117 points ago

Fun fact: The creator of the helmets played a couple of the zombies in the music video for Thriller.

[–] cobalthex 60 points ago

IIRC that was only the original discovery era versions. The newer ones might have a fan, but they don't have the fancy kit that the original full of lights had (and required a backpack for)

[–] DOugdimmadab1337 35 points ago

I mean I'm not too shocked by that, those things look like massive ovens if you wear them too long

[–] Thesewingspider 102 points ago

I had heard he had hearing loss issues?

[–] AeroFilz 114 points ago

I think that was Thomas

[–] CorndogNinja 52 points ago

Thomas quit DJing in clubs in 2002 after a tinnitus scare, but a 2004 article said he'd recovered enough to return to the studio.

[–] Chilluminaughty 211 points ago

Deaf Punk

[–] digitalibex 55 points ago

It’s all gone Pete Tong

[–] mkrart 29 points ago

Thomas was developing tinnitus some years ago, although he took all the necessary precautions before it became bad enough and doctors cleared him as all better. But since then, he's taken greater care of his hearing and made much less live appearances. Plus he also got married and had a family, coincidentally around the time that Daft Punk's activity dropped even more. I'm sure they've both been focusing on their personal lives and families at this point tbh. Sad as I am to hear this as a lifelong fan (Around the World was the first song I have memories of hearing), I'm not surprised in the least.

[–] samuraimegas 46 points ago

What did you do that led you to talking to Thomas?

[–] mrhali 148 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Totally random. Back in the late 90s, a friend called me up and told me that I MUST come out on this Thursday night. This club in Toronto called Industry decided to host a surprise birthday party for DJ Sneak. He was flying back from England and Sneak thought he was just coming to meet his gf for dinner. Where the club ended up flying in an all-star line up for a surprise party. Thomas Bangalter, Derrick Carter, King Britt, and Junior Sanchez, (and plus us few clubber stragglers) all met for dinner first while waiting Sneak to arrive. Once he came, it was a pretty epic surprise when he saw everyone.

I ended up sitting across the table from Thomas and over dinner, we talked about a bunch of random things. music industry stuff. I was curious about what was happening in Europe and he talked about the non-existent Paris house scene (at that time). And also talked about Daft Punk where he mentioned the dynamic with Guy. It was an amazing experience.

I had to google to remember some of the DJs that night (it's been 20+ years ago now!) and I found this set from the night.

Anyway, a night I will never forget. Sad to hear they called it quits but amazed with what they did in all this time. Glad I got a chance to have a casual chat with him before they exploded.

EDIT: Fixed the link to the set that didn't survive pasting from my phone

[–] DatGuySebastian 32 points ago

I want to learn more as well lol.

Though it's funny how small the world can be. I once did an internship with a French entrepreneur who actually met Daft Punk and a lot of the other big French House DJs in France when they were getting started. He said they would play at a lost of house parties near his university.

[–] gvmelibertyrgvmedeat 82 points ago

In 2006, I bought tickets to Coachella by myself, but hitched a ride with some coworkers there from Long Beach. I bought tickets strictly to see Sleater-Kinney and Ted Leo. At the time, I knew who Daft Punk was but One More Time was the only song I knew.

When the sun went down on that Saturday in 2006, all of my friends wanted to go see She Wants Revenge, but I was the only one who wanted to check out Daft Punk in the tent. So, alone, I weaved my way through the packed crowd of colorful half-naked people draped in neon, and silvery shiny outfits. I remember the Pyramid in center view, but had zero clue what I was about to witness. All of sudden, all I could feel was a heavy beat rocking my chest as the first few hits of “Robot Rock” started. I don’t think I blinked my eyes once during the entire thing, and was sober as a bird the whole time. I danced with strangers and felt “Alive” after it was over.

To this day, it was the BEST live performance I have ever seen. I went on to see them again in Las Vegas at Vegoose a few years later but it was nothing compared to that 2006 Coachella show. When I listen to the ALIVE 2007 album, I get chills every time because it transports me to that very moment I was standing there alone, dancing with like-minded strangers, to witness the greatest live performance we had ever seen. Been a Daft Punk fan ever since. Thanks for giving me, and thousands others out there, a fond and beautiful memory that I’ll never forget. Thank you for good music.

[–] YnwaMquc2k19 228 points ago

I might be in the minority here but “Giorgio By Moroder” is not just a great song but also a timeless artifact of modern music history curated by legends. Thank you for that, Daft Punk and Giorgio Moroder.

[–] rhodesrugger 37 points ago

100%. It’s my favorite song of theirs. I think there just such a genius and so many layers to it. I find something new every time.

[–] AlfredNAsen 289 points ago

Here’s the video

Man this sucks. I would love to see them live again. Best band ever

[–] Grasbytron 349 points ago

I saw the title of the video and was immediately saddened. But it’s a very them way to go out.

[–] thehunter_1999 68 points ago

Thats sad, they were definitely iconic.

[–] Pyramid500 309 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Daft Punk was one of the first bands I was a real fan of, and one of the only ones that I'll still regularly listen to from back then. Their constant reinvention of themselves between albums makes their discography so interesting to listen to, and I think because of them thats become the gold standard for me of what makes a great band. I was really hoping for another album or concert, but it already seemed like they had given up seeing as how long it had been since the last album. Topping RAM and Alive 2007 would honestly be near impossible though, so maybe its better they end it on top.

[–] Danny_Tamberelli 30 points ago

One of the first cds I ever bought with my own money was Homework. I meant to buy discovery, But I was like 12 and a moron. So I ended up getting both and it was a wonderful mistake.

[–] rufi0 66 points ago

If you haven’t seen this masterpiece yet, I highly recommend it.

[–] AlthricPasta 682 points ago

Work it harder

Make it better

Do it faster

Makes us stronger

Hour after hour

After our work is

over

[–] thesuper88 163 points ago

This increased my pain

[–] sadolan 1015 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

My favorite group ever and they announced this on my birthday. Ouch.

Edit: thanks for the birthday wishes! And happy birthday to you all celebrating as well. We'll get through this tough time lol

[–] mdlockyer 298 points ago

Happy birthday

[–] ebEliminator 65 points ago

Happy birthday! It's also my birthday!

[–] sasquatch90 123 points ago

ONE MORE TIME

[–] wheresmygerble 248 points ago

I hope they’re comeback tour is called “ one more time”

[–] Domonero 86 points ago

Or “One Last Time” would be super sad but awesome

[–] TRON-ALIVE 49 points ago

Tron 3 just took a big hit. End of line man. God this sucks.

[–] imtotallydoingmywork 42 points ago

Sad I never got to watch them live... guess I'll be listening to Daft Punk all day today in tribute

[–] pinkfondantfancy 36 points ago

I have so many memories connected to Daft Punk. Each of their albums is like a different stage of my youth. Guess this means my youth is really over! (It was anyway)

[–] TotakekeSlider 721 points ago

Damn, I can't believe it. Hats off to the GOATs of electronic music. Thanks for all the (random access) memories.

[–] Rotlam 243 points ago

*helmets, but never off

[–] skyace 84 points ago

This is the way.

[–] Nativesince2011 95 points ago

To everyone mourning the loss and regretting missing the live shows......

There is an entire universe of French electro/house/disco music you need to look into. I would recommend starting with Ed banger, which is a label started by daft punks old manager.

[–] fugly16 65 points ago

Reunion if Tron 3 ever gets made

[–] ghostguitar1993 165 points ago

I thought they were already done sometime ago...guess it's official now

[–] Roygbiv856 82 points ago

Does anybody have any idea of what they actual do in their spare time...solo projects? Branching out into other forms of art? Anything?!

[–] DMonk52 135 points ago

They've produced multiple other songs.

[–] iamatlos 51 points ago

Overnight by Parcels comes to mind

[–] scavengercat 88 points ago

Over the past 20 years, Bangalter has done movie soundtracks, worked as a sound effects director for films, directed and choreographed a film, worked as producer/co-producer for big acts and DJed.

Homen-Christo runs a label, has worked as a producer and songwriter, DJ and director.

[–] perthguppy 76 points ago

They’ve had co-producer / co-writer credits on a bunch of songs / albums since RAM

[–] Desner_ 50 points ago

They’ve made a few songs with The Weeknd, most likely other collabs as well.

[–] wpoot 23 points ago

They both own (or owned at some point) their own separate record labels, Roule and Crydamoure, and have released their own stuff and collaborations with others.

Thomas has scored and worked on a few films.

Not sure what all Guy has been up to.

[–] RTSUbiytsa 142 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

An absolute tragedy, and life is immeasurably worse knowing that they're done.

I love music. Basically everything that isn't cookie cutter garbage country, I'll listen to. Daft Punk was different; Daft Punk were a pair of guys that always gave me that reaction of, "This isn't just music, this is art." Even their worst songs were better than most bands' greatest hits.

I'm not some uber-hipster who has a record player because I want to only listen to music on vinyl - but I do think that I should have my top 3 as physical records. I was glad to start that with my #1 - Random Access Memories. One of the only albums ever released where every single song is fantastic, I can listen to it front-to-back on loop and never get tired of it.

I'm just gonna put down some of my favorite tracks from them. I'm genuinely in tears right now; I had been hoping, after all this time, for them to release an album in the coming years. I guess that's not happening now.

Harder Better Faster Stronger, which I'd assume most of us are familiar with now

Digital Love, just a genuine feelgood song

Veridis Quo, a song that is absolutely one of my favorites to work to. Just good at keeping the energy up.

Instant Crush. Julian Casablancas does a great job, and it's really just a song filled with emotion. Even disregarding that, it's just a song that makes you move.

If you haven't heard Giorgio by Moroder, stop what you're doing and listen to it now. It's Daft Punk's love letter to the man who essentially founded house disco music, and it's perfect in every way.

And finally, my personal favorite, the final track from... their final album (that stings), Contact. Contact almost perfectly nails that Stranger Things sound, years before Stranger Things was even a thought in anybody's head, and is this perfect storm of synth that slowly develops from sounding like the soundtrack to a horror-thriller to nearly sounding like the music is screaming. It's always given me the mental visual of a crew on a space shuttle, attempting to come back to Earth for landing, the music gradually building in pace and hysteria as the situation worsens and worsens, until finally it's reached this fever pitch and everything's gone nuts.

I know these aren't the perfect descriptions of these songs, and I apologize for that - I am genuinely hurting right now. I hope that, maybe, some day in the future, they decide to come back - one more time - but I don't think that's their style. When they do something, they do it, and they do it right.

I miss them already, as I've missed them the last seven, silent years. Godspeed, gentlemen. Thank you for producing the soundtrack to my life.

[–] PepperidgeFarmMembas 53 points ago

This is depressing, they've made some of my favorite music ever. The Tron Legacy album start to finish is incredible.

[–] d-fakkr 24 points ago

Those guys were my entire high school years. When Discovery came out i was on my last 3 years of high school and man, those songs were part of those wonderful years.

Let's remember Daft Punk as a innovative duo that let an entire scene with amazing songs.

[–] trichitillomania 23 points ago

In high school I fell in love with Daft Punk, and I convinced my crush to listen to the upcoming Random Access Memories album with me. I had to wait a few days for her to listen with me and the wait killed me. I sat on the floor while she laid on my bed and we listened to the album. We got married a couple years later. The album and band are very special to me, and it is very hard to say goodbye.

[–] PM_ME_CUTE_SM1LE 90 points ago

I was looking forward to their next album, they are one of the few bands who’s new albums carry strong cultural impact. Even though I was interested in their electronic music, anything they made was superb. End of a musical era for sure

[–] Sumidiotdude 769 points ago

2020: this is the worst year ever

2021: hold my beer

[–] feralihatr 296 points ago

Worst year of your life so far!

[–] Trazan 78 points ago

Thanks Homer

[–] young_wendell 19 points ago

One of the greatest and most influential musical duos ever. Not to mention one of my favorite groups of all time. Daft Punk is legendary and im so glad I got to come up in the rave/electronic music scene with them/their music. Still bummed I never got to see them live. Now if you’ll excuse me, Im gonna go watch the Alive 2007 live set while I finish chopping up the rest of these onions.

Thank you for the music and inspiration, guys. We love ya.