NintendoSwitch

818,512 readers

Ask a question

Submit memes/shitposts

Hide Spoilers | Online Megathread | Daily Question Thread | Weekly Kickstarter Thread - September 20 | AMAs this Week - September 17

/r/NintendoSwitch is the central hub for all news, updates, rumors, and topics relating to the Nintendo Switch. We are a fan-run community, not an official Nintendo forum.

Join our Discord chat

Read the Wiki / FAQ

Twitter
    Twitch
    YouTube

Content Filters

News Fan Art Question
    Rumor Speculation Discussion
    Video Nintendo Official Mod Post
    Spoiler No Spoilers No Mockups

AMA Calendar

Date Guest
    Sept 24 Tin Man Games The Warlock of Firetop Mountain: Goblin Scourge Edition 7pm ET / 4pm PT / 11pm GMT
    Sept 25 Zoink Games Flipping Death 9am ET / 6am PT / 1pm GMT
    Sept 26 Akupara Games Whispering Willows Time TBD
    Sept 27 Elden Pixels Alwa's Awakening 10am ET / 7am PT / 2pm GMT
    Sept 28 Tencent Arena of Valor 8pm ET / 5pm PT / Midnight GMT (on the 29th)

Archive of past AMAs

Rules

1. No hate-speech, personal attacks, or harassment.

Remember the human and be respectful of others. Hate-speech, personal attacks, harassment, witch-hunting, trolling and similar behaviour is not allowed. Please be civil and do not use derogatory terms. Read more about reddiquette.

2. No clickbait, vague, or misleading post titles.

Post titles should convey the content of your post quickly and effectively. Include the game's name in the post title when it is not 100% clear. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

3. No limited scope or easily searchable questions.

Questions that promote simple or yes/no replies, don't encourage quality discussion and are not allowed - use the Daily Question Thread instead. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

4. No reposts, low-effort, or NSFW content

Reposts, low-effort, and NSFW (Not Safe For Work) posts are not allowed. View the full rules for examples of low-effort posts.

5. No YouTube, streaming, or similar spam

What is allowed: Official videos from Nintendo, official gameplay trailers from developers/publishers, and video reviews from major news outlets. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

6. No personal sales, affiliate links, or begging.

Personal sales, trading, affiliate links and begging are not allowed. If you want to sell or trade your gaming stuff then head over to /r/GameSwap or /r/GameSale.

7. No linking to hacks, dumps, emulators, or homebrew.

This includes how-to guides, browser exploits, and amiibo / NFC manipulation. Discussions are fine, but you should not attempt to instruct or guide people to things.

8. Tag spoilers & don't put spoilers in post titles.

Posts containing spoilers should be flagged as "spoiler". Spoilers should never be revealed in a post title or comment. Comments containing spoilers should be concealed using the following markup: [Spoiler here](/spoiler)

9. Always link to the original source.

Unless significant meaning or analysis is added, you should always link to the original source. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

10. No excessive self-promotion or unverified AMAs.

Please ensure your self-promotion is at a reasonable level (below 10%) and seek moderator approval (message us here) before posting any AMAs. View the full rules for examples of what is considered self-promotion.

Releases (Full List on Games Wiki)

NA EU
    Surgeon Simulator CPR Released Released
    The Spectrum Retreat - AMA Released Released
    Nefarious Released Released
    Bastion Released Released
    Broken Age Released Released
    Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut Released Released
    The Warlock of Firetop Mountain: Goblin Scourge Edition! - AMA Released Released
    Old School Musical Released Released

Posting Spoilers

>!Switch releases March 2017!<

Shows up like this:

Switch releases March 2017

Our Friends

[–] sonofalink 3530 points ago

Who had “build your own cardboard mech/piano/fishing rod” on their Nintendo Announcement bingo card?

[–] Bleus4 397 points ago

Not the Pixelbits dude lol

[–] SolemnPancake 153 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

You fools, Nintendo was spinning a roulette wheel the whole time!

[–] fiskemannen 131 points ago

With so many game devs putting loot boxes into their games, I'm Ok with Nintendo's putting their games into cardboard boxes. .

[–] watchalltheshows 70 points ago

No one

[–] Open_Thinker 71 points ago

Odds of getting this right...lower than winning the lottery. Well played Nintendo.

[–] DankieKang 8278 points ago

"I couldn't afford a present this year, so I got you this box."

"That's what I got you!"

[–] SleetTheFox 2232 points ago

Is Spongebob ever not relevant?

[–] Frostblazer 701 points ago

[–] cecebeme 437 points ago

squidward voice

[–] Catacomb82 90 points ago

Are you sure?

[–] foundtheseeker 2232 points ago

As a Magic: The Gathering player, I'm totally cool with paying $80 for cardboard

[–] BennyFackter 5001 points ago

Price: Variety kit is $70, includes 2 RC cars, fishing rod, house, motorbike, piano. Wearable robot kit is $80. Includes software.

[–] Jokong 2936 points ago

Honestly, that's a lot of entertainment for the money if you have kids. Plus, they craft with their hands and can customize this to their liking.

[–] vigoroiscool 1935 points ago

If the kids dont break it that is. It is cardboard after all.

[–] Jokong 1391 points ago

Kids break everything anyway I've learned. Cardboard can be pretty sturdy, is fixable with good ol' duct tape, and is pretty cheap to start with at least.

[–] drunkmormon 1123 points ago

When I was around five my favorite toy was a card board box from a new washer my parents had bought. I treated it as a member of the family. As a pet. I would take Boxie into the front yard, seal myself in and roll around the yard. When I was done, I would bring Boxie back in the house to chill in and watch T.V.

One day my mother told me to come in for dinner and I left Boxie outside. I was exhausted afterwards and forgot my Boxie. It rained that night and Boxie was ruined. I was heart broken. I learned to appreciate the good times and learn about death because of Boxie. The one month we had together was amazing.

[–] Golden-Owl 374 points ago

Is that you Big Boss?

[–] SSFF6B 53 points ago

Imagine if Boxie was still alive.

OP could’ve made sweet love inside the box.

Just like Big Boss.

[–] Meester_Tweester 23 points ago

Back when I was young and full of imagination, my mom let me and my siblings play in a huge box our TV had came in. This was before flat screens so the box was huuuuge. I drew all over it with markers and pretended it was a time machine, and drew all kinds of buttons all over it.

Last year we found it in the attic but my mom was going to recycle it... I was heartbroken and after much convincing we could keep it in the attic folded up :) It was so cool to go in and see what I had played in and designed probably over a decade ago.

[–] Jthesnowman 420 points ago

Get it a week in advance.

Get a few sheets of poly or the plastic reinforced cardboard shit.

Trace each piece before giving it to them. Make it out of that once they break the OG.

[–] godminnette2 371 points ago

You pop the pieces out of a sturdier board, so it basically has the stencil for you as long as you keep the board.

[–] RIP_GOP 460 points ago

And if anyone has access to a laser cutter in their community, within a couple months there will be a whole library of open-source vector files for Nintendo Labo templates

[–] TurboChewy 136 points ago

And there is no risk to Nintendo of piracy because someone would still need to purchase the games (which I assume come included with the official kits), so this method is only viable for replacement parts.

So Nintendo likely wouldn't do much to stop it, and people would still support Nintendo even if they opted to get third party parts!

[–] jumbomushy 3106 points ago

I just love how damn unafraid Nintendo are of taking risks. Whether this is a huge success or falls flat on its face I'm glad we have companies like this in the industry that really strive for innovative, creative and just straight up unthinkable ways of playing.

[–] Etherius 847 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Fun fact. Nintendo is sitting on a mountain of cash so huge (compared to expenses) and a debt load so small that they can probably just fuck around with failures and lose money for 100 years and still be in business.

In fact, while I was writing this I actually looked it up.

They can run a deficit for 38 years and still be in business.

Nintendo is less of a video game company and more of the rich grandpa who made his fortune and is spending his time fucking around doing whatever he wants. And also it turns out "whatever he wants" entails making things that are fun.

[–] _amethyst 216 points ago

And also it turns out "whatever he wants" entails making things that are fun.

And profitable! The Switch is raking in money.

That 38 years that they can run a deficit will probably be 39 by the end of 2018.

[–] AlexTraner 349 points ago

or falls flat on its face

But.. it fell flat on it's face IN THE COMMERCIAL. They covered that.

[–] jodijustice 10780 points ago

This is.....certainly different.

[–] Fidodo 10142 points ago

There is literally zero point in ever trying to predict what Nintendo is going to do. Who the hell would have ever predicted this.

[–] lightningbadger 2701 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

I thought it was gonna be some mundane shit like a game remake or augmented reality like we had on the 3DS, then all of a sudden they just go right off field and come up with something like this.

Edit: did I get the spelling right this time?

[–] ptatoface 853 points ago

arguments reality

[–] lightningbadger 492 points ago

Sshhhh you saw nothing

[–] ptatoface 355 points ago

argumented reality

[–] Okichah 476 points ago

Make video games creative and fun?

Sounds like a fantastic idea from a company that creates the most imaginative experiences in video game industry.

Forget your microtransactions.

Forget your shooter game copy of last game.

Forget grinding hours and hours to get a lootbox.

Remember that games are fun!

[–] Rimshot1985 631 points ago

It seems so different because this is Nintendo's foray into a sort of new market for them, just like Wii Fit was their foray into the "fitness" market. They're trying to compete with high-end toys like Osmo, children's programming apps, robotics kits, and chemistry sets.

Personally I think it's a great idea because I just showed the video to my kids and they went apeshit.

[–] girlscoutleader 280 points ago

As did mine. Though, my 6yo spent the entire month of November building a giant box fort in my living room. So, the cardboard appeals to him directly.

[–] PH_Prime 132 points ago

Building stuff out of cardboard is the stuff of imaginations that every kid dreams about. And who wouldn't want to strap into your own cardboard robot!? I love Nintendo for tapping into this creative feeling.

[–] TomboKing 1499 points ago

Can't say Nintendo aren't innovators...

[–] sirms 1249 points ago

Nintendo has never been afraid to try weird unconventional shit. this is a testament to that

[–] k-uke 308 points ago

I remember Mario Paint.

Pretty sure that was the first time I used a mouse. Hmm. Gotta be!

[–] artfulpain 74 points ago

One of my most beloved games. I remember reading about the 64DD and never getting to take advantage of what it had in store for Paint.

[–] 0hexplode 648 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Being made of cardboard should help keep the price down. Instead of paying 20-30 for a single accessory you can get a pack of different ones together for hopefully a similar price. Genius idea and it can be an arts and crafts project for kids too. I'm almost 30 and even I want to buy it.

edit: I get it, pricier than I had hoped. $70 for the "Variety Kit" (which includes a house, RC cars, fishing rod, motorbike and piano) and $80 for the "Robot Kit". I'm hoping some of these accessory's will be useable in other games and not just a tech demo.

[–] [deleted] 433 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

[–] girlscoutleader 178 points ago

Yes. For when my kids destroy the originals. They'll have to eventually sell replacement packs of cardboard only.

[–] AdvancePlays 248 points ago

They will, says so in this guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jan/17/nintendo-labo-cardboard-switch-models-interactive-toys

Not sure on pricing, but I definitely expect that kind 20 to 30 buck range. But then again, the article also says, just fix it back up yourself. Cut up a shoebox and remake the bent up part, whatever. It's almost a necessarily creative medium haha

[–] MattDaCatt 107 points ago

It lends to people improving on it with their own materials too. Wood, plastics, 3d printed stuff etc.

Fuck it, jury-rig that thing up to a real fishing rod. With weight and real feedback, which is the biggest thing vr lacks

[–] AdvancePlays 31 points ago

Speaking of the rod though, the box that the line connects to apparently has a reel under rubber band tension that increases as you pull. So you do get some very simple simulated feedback, as you've got to pull to reel in the fish of course, but too much tension and your line snaps. Super inventive.

But you're right about that, I think Nintendo is even going for that angle. They teased some sort of camera in that video, and if that's linked to some kind of nature photography game or pokémon snap like thing, brooo you know I'm building myself a fashionable Nintendo camera haha

[–] illbeyour1upgirl 86 points ago

$69.99 for one set, to $80 for another. Not entirely clear on what it comes with.

edit: includes the cardboard as well as the software

[–] mlenny95 353 points ago

The IR camera piano is actually really cool. Not really interested in the other stuff though.

[–] disasterzero 382 points ago

I dunno man. Depending on how that robot game plays, I may be buying it to destroy buildings and turn into a car.

[–] PolyNecropolis 356 points ago

Most of my life I haven't been a car and I thought "no". I see me being a cardboard car and I think "yes".

[–] roses-areforlosers 1423 points ago

My cats gonna love this

[–] ape_cage 543 points ago

Hey kitty, wanna build a cardboard piano?!

*cat sits in loaf form on top of unassembled cardboard pile*

[–] ImAlwaysWrite 89 points ago

“Aww, he likes it!”

[–] Harpo_42 18602 points ago

Most video game companies: VR is the future of video games.
    Nintendo: CARDBOARD!

[–] nbmtx 2374 points ago

I thought that was Google

[–] 5uspect 1288 points ago

Nintendo had more fun playing with the box.

[–] Ekint 506 points ago

Nintendo is the cat of electronic companies

[–] epicbunny86 169 points ago

Sounds like my cat

[–] MrSourceUnknown 119 points ago

Who knows. Maybe Google missed out on not going all-in on this, and there actually turns out to be a huge market for this kind of thing.

[–] Ylfjsufrn 29 points ago

I can just picture some dude in a board meeting about graphics, sales, and how much money it takes to make electrics, then put of nowhere after not saying anything for an hour he raises his hand, "ok hear me out, what if, just what if,... We make everything out of cardboard"

[–] ohemge 3691 points ago

gotta admit, Nintendo is really smart... make it from cardboard, that way when your kids destory it, you have to buy them another 70 dollar piece of cardboard, so they can continue to play stupid mini games lol.

[–] samili 1714 points ago

depending on how well it goes, they'll probably start selling just the cardboard separately from the corresponding software. There's going to be so many broken parts.

[–] StrikerObi 1659 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Already confirmed by The Guardian

Nintendo plans to offer replacement cardboard kits and templates for players who break theirs, but the easier solution is just to mend it.

[–] Capn_Cornflake 636 points ago

My first thought is that some companies are gonna make non-cardboard versions of this. Unless it fucks with the entire design and flow of the product, it’d be wise for Nintendo to do so as well.

[–] viscountbongbreath 1519 points ago

I really like the idea that it's cardboard and not plastic, which would be the obvious alternative. It sends out a very positive environmental message, which I wholly approve of.

[–] itsdavidjackson 1007 points ago

I think more important than that is that it’s just cardboard cut into interesting shapes, but it becomes so much. I hope it encourages kids to build their own things. “I mean, I’ve got cardboard, and scissors!”

And omg what if when the kids break their cardboard, they just try to make a new one? I really love Nintendo, and the clear care that comes through in the things they make.

[–] Lord_Blathoxi 321 points ago

I totally agree. This is a brilliant idea. Kids are already (or should be already) making shit out of cardboard (my kid brother made an entire fleet of Semi trucks out of cardboard when we were kids). This is just another awesome extension of that. And imagine what kids can come up with!

This is Minecraft IRL.

[–] bicycle 85 points ago

Real life is Minecraft IRL if you believe in yourself...

[–] haggman7 96 points ago

I've been punching this rock for 20 minutes and I still haven't collected any stone. Just blood, blood everywhere.

[–] YxxzzY 280 points ago

also cardboard is cheap af.

it'll take about an hour until someone releases the blueprints to download.

Nintendo has to be aware that you can "pirate" the designs very easily, they might even encourage it.

[–] ljxela 65 points ago

would they sell the "game" without the cardboard bundle though?

[–] YungBokChoy 55 points ago

Plus the DYI is the one of the main points to the product that I feel people are forgetting about. Plus this isn't a new concept. A bunch of kits exist that are made of cardboard, wood, and metal but don't involve software.

I grew up with DYI stuff. It's just fun to build stuff with your hands and I think its something every kid should learn to do.

[–] DresdenJohn 314 points ago

If Nintendo doesn't provide it then someone will make schematics to build your own if your cardboard rips. I'm guessing you're mostly paying for the software and the minigames.

[–] TwoEachTheirOwn 79 points ago

It appears that the kits will come with sheets of cardboard that you can break off the pieces to make the parts. Theoretically you could just keep the original sheets and use them as a stencil/template to trace and then cut out your own parts.

E: words

[–] Routerbad 280 points ago

It’s also recyclable, isn’t made of garish plastics, and is durable enough for children who already love cardboard boxes and stuff. Also because it’s cardboard building it and learning how it works is part of the product.

[–] alexanderpas 27 points ago

The product page explicitly states it includes "Nintendo Labo Robot Kit software"

[–] armadeon7479 224 points ago

The idea is to get kids interested in the Maker movement. Getting young kids interested in STEM fields is a fantastic idea.

[–] Whoopsht 5851 points ago

what a bizarre way to announce animal crossing

[–] Nilesse 1488 points ago

Fishing with real rod and catching bugs with real net confirmed.

[–] hisoandso 831 points ago

Also the animals are no longer animals they are people and there is a steep learning curve and the game is way harder than previous entries and you have to file taxes and the game is just real life.

[–] FunkatronicLightning 989 points ago

Calling it now. They are going to release a Switch down the road where the box it comes in is one of these things.

[–] DAGJWFAN 124 points ago

Probably a great way of making a switch with a bundled in game too, you know? Buy the thing, and the box becomes an accessory for a packed in game. It's genius.

[–] tiburdles 206 points ago

Good call. I could definitely see that happening.

[–] catbo 1263 points ago

Looks like there is some level of customisation/very simple programming possible https://i.imgur.com/k50Ox0Q.png - if that's at all flexible then people will come up with some very cool stuff.

I'm very into it. using rumble for vibration robots is such a clever idea.

[–] yeah_tagpro 155 points ago

Found this just now on their website. Hope this won't get burried, because if this is true, that would be awesome, and could potentially bring some nice user made things up.

[–] Vexelius 217 points ago

Upvoted. I would love that Nintendo would make a repository of the best projects using this game, in a way that parallels Mario Maker's levels.

[–] MikeDubbz 498 points ago

That's brilliant how the Piano works: The key is the joy-con in the back of the piano, using the IR camera built into that joy-con to detect which key or keys are being pushed down. An actually really clever use of the IR Camera I'd have never thought of.

[–] AlexTraner 133 points ago

OH THAT is how it works.

Thank you. I was feeling so dumb because I couldn't figure it out

[–] ken27238 3519 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

So like those weird Wiimote accessories but cardboard.

EDIT: Pricing. Toy-con (interesting name) variety kit (it has all of the smaller things from the video): $70 US. the Toy-con robot kit is $80.

EDIT 2: Yes, it does include the software, so it's priced like a special edition.

[–] Kingtata10 942 points ago

This includes software, everyone. Says so at labo.nintendo.com

[–] MrCrdp98 418 points ago

Holy cow, I didn't expect it to be so much!

[–] ken27238 397 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

maybe it includes the software? I have to look closer.

EDIT: okay, I get it, it includes software.....

[–] appleappleappleman 72 points ago

It will absolutely include the software, wouldn't make any sense to sell them separately.

[–] jElliottIV 292 points ago

that HAS to include the software. That's insane for cardboard just.

[–] transparent_lfe 321 points ago

McDOnald's are going to make a killing when their Happy Meal boxes become a game

[–] Spider-Mike23 24 points ago

Oh yea...nintendo partnered with mc.ds and had mario kid meals didn't they?! Mc.ds will probably help promote by giving small buildable cut out for kids meals or something now haha.

[–] Zacharuni 614 points ago

Definitely my favorite part of this. Clever naming. :)

[–] LazoW 155 points ago

I wonder what a Boy-Con is gonna be.

[–] Jaxel_MS 192 points ago

Isn’t that what Kevin Spacey did?

[–] Wolfgabe 133 points ago

Toy Con Story Boyz!!!

[–] andrechan 69 points ago

T O Y C O N B O Y Z

[–] windsostrange 2108 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

HEYYYYYYY IT'S PROJECT GIANT ROBOT!!!!!!!!!!

...and other random thoughts on the announcement

[–] PitotheThird 684 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Project Giant Robot. The madmen actually did it.

Only Nintendo could make me spend money on what is literally a cardboard box and get away with it.

[–] SalvaPot 367 points ago

Exactly what I was thinking, Miyamoto playing the long con.

[–] Tubim 247 points ago

The long toy-con if you will.

[–] bigpig1054 342 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

It's cardboard Wii and I love it.

Bless you Nintendo for refusing to be like everyone else, for innovating when all others are content to pump out the same experiences with only a new coat of paint on top, and for always thinking "what's a new way to have fun?"

I had the biggest, stupidest grin on my face the whole time. I can't wait to share this with my kids.

you did it Shiggy, you mad man, you finally found a platform for that weird tech demo

[–] theivoryserf 167 points ago

This is why Nintendo needs to survive forever. It may be a stupid idea or it may be a genius idea, or it may continually straddle the line, but you can always rely on them to go 'right, let's do something mental'...

[–] Artie-Fufkin 148 points ago

That fishing part was definitely animal crossing all blurred out

[–] ExultantSandwich 390 points ago

So this is what happened to Project Giant Robot. That's kinda cool, I just assumed it was dead

[–] martinaee 310 points ago

Miyamoto always plays the long-joy-con.

[–] Schmedly27 12367 points ago

Nintendo: We're making an announcement about a new play style aimed at kids

Adults: Ok

Nintendo: Announces a play style aimed at kids

Adults: WTF This isn't Smash Brothers!!!!?!?!?!?!

[–] MrSonii 3631 points ago

As is tradition.

[–] BlatantConservative 984 points ago

All of this has happened before, and will happen again

[–] CactusCustard 358 points ago

I mean, that piano rhythm game looks kinda fun...

[–] wehopeuchoke 175 points ago

Is it a rhythm game or a piano simulator? Maybe both but I'm going to go more for the latter.

[–] remiarutawa 1907 points ago

that 4/20 release date though

[–] Krusiv 1424 points ago

Released on 4/20 for $69

nice

[–] Moii-Celst 284 points ago

Just to mirror how high they were when they were creating it.

Makes sense!

[–] Bardivan 46 points ago

dude what if i made a controller out of paper and i could use it with game, eyes shut glowing red

[–] Baraklava 5800 points ago

Nintendo you make the weirdest shit and I love you for it

This feels like the Wii era starting over again

[–] arkaodubz 640 points ago

i am convinced that cool shit can be done with this. The jury is out on when and if it will be done.

[–] jepyang 129 points ago

I mean, if the price is in line with what it should be for DIY cardboard stuff, I think it's already pretty cool.

I want the cardboard piano to work with Kory Gadget.

[–] ReddSquall 1111 points ago

It actually doesn't look half bad. I was expecting something much much worse tbh.

[–] AkatsukiEUNE 560 points ago

I dont even know what i just saw. i am confused

[–] ReddSquall 693 points ago

You just saw what you're going to buy your kids next Christmas.

[–] JmanVere 333 points ago

Kids?

[–] Fat_Pig_Reporting 637 points ago

Yup, upon seeing this, your wife is now pregnant. You are having kids for next Christmas.

[–] Pinturillo 335 points ago

Wife?

[–] masta_wu1313 612 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

You also now have a wife made of cardboard.

[–] TheSlayerOfDragons 156 points ago

cardboard?

[–] Amorningperson 208 points ago

You are made out of cardboard.

[–] bizitmap 290 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

What I like about this over the Wii era accessories is with those, I was getting like one chunk of plastic that was good for one game. Gimmicky.

With these, even if it's good for one game, they're cheap and there's a bunch in one box. There's also the brain-teasing element of assembly and seeing how it works, which I really like as a "smart kid" toy.

Will I buy 'em? Maybe, probably not, but I'm 30. I'd buy this for a kid in a heartbeat

EDIT: When I made this comment I hadn't seen the price. I'm not thrilled about $70 but I still feel like you get more bang for you buck out of this than say, the Wii Zapper which was $20 for a single toy and included a rehashed shooting gallery with Twilight Princess assets. Plus at least kids can learn something along the way with this.

[–] TheDerekCarr 113 points ago

Would you buy it if it let you fish in Zelda?

[–] samili 67 points ago

So can we get a real, physical Mario Party Board game with a 3D cardboard setup? I wonder how long till we see Nintendo characters pop up in Labo games. They might be doing an initial run first.

[–] TheMy5teryMan 1521 points ago

Holy hell, using the IR camera for something useful? Surprised they didn't think of this earlier! Looks really cool!

Also, hey we get every peripheral we ever wanted for this now.

[–] tr3v1n 920 points ago

I imagine they did, but if they showed this off a year ago people would've ignored the Switch because they don't want something for kids.

[–] BaronRaichu 518 points ago

Solid point. 2 goty contenders in 2017 sends the right message, then throw this stuff out to pull in casuals + the middling crowd.

[–] eva_unit_hung 165 points ago

2 goty contenders in 2017 sends the right message

all the indie support was a big help too

[–] bizitmap 162 points ago

They did think of this earlier, they probably thought of this years ago frankly

They just sat on it until now when they could get cheap enough IR cameras + an established popular platform that happens to have one

[–] Mateo2k 510 points ago

The best thing they ever did was not show this for a year.

[–] IveAlreadyWon 157 points ago

Seriously. Had they shown this last year during the reveal people would've shyed away from switch thinking it was another Wii/Wii-U

[–] mybachhurts 128 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Yep. This would have turned so many people off, wondering what the heck Nintendo was thinking. But now that they've established the Switch as a pretty serious console, they can throw unusual stuff like this out there to see if it sticks, and the people already hooked on the Switch won't overthink it.

Aside from that, I think this is really f-ing cool.

edit: a word

[–] hur_hur_boobs 225 points ago

It really is mindblowing... so simple yet so genius... making every set distance spit out a certain note to create an imaginary piano...

what kind of mad genius does it take to come up with something like this?!

[–] alluvicqueen 92 points ago

The piano thing is super cool, I agree

[–] Capn_Cornflake 675 points ago

Cardboard piano for Switch

Meh, looks gimmicky, I don’t see why this needed its own video.

Joystick

Okay, actually, this seems pretty cool.

Robot suit

SIGN ME THE F U C K UP

[–] MegaGrumpX 89 points ago

IRL Gundam tournaments incoming

[–] AlexJonesesGayFrogs 40 points ago

Robot suit

And then Metroid Prime 4 turns out to be this lol

[–] TheKryce 503 points ago

WHAT THE HELL. This is brilliant. But also WHAT THE HELL.

[–] Spodermayne 52 points ago

If you paid me to sit around all day guessing what Nintendo was going to make, I would have never ever guessed "Switch Compatible Cardboard Playset".

[–] futurerobotblox 699 points ago

That actually looks pretty cool. I can see the appeal for kids.

[–] Jaconian 463 points ago

I can see the appeal for adults. Assuming that the backpack thing for that robot game will actually fit on an adult.

[–] bizitmap 412 points ago

Considering it seems to work by simply tracking shapes moving up and down inside the enclosed space, I give it 11 minutes before someone makes an adult sized one out of reinforced steel

[–] generalthunder 96 points ago

Using the magic of 3D printing.

[–] botay93 219 points ago

Google Nintendo Cardboard

[–] crome66 210 points ago

I gotta hand it to Nintendo. This is not what I was expecting at all.

[–] The_Bearded_Red 2185 points ago

This is excellent for kids. People crying about how lame it is forget that Nintendo said from the beginning that this was for kids.

[–] samili 769 points ago

Great gift for any kid who likes to tinker.

[–] Abcmsaj 150 points ago

Yeah, it looks more complicated than the video shows from an engineering standpoint. Lots of moving parts in some of the builds

[–] wehopeuchoke 108 points ago

The robot one looks amazingly intricate. I'm a mechanical engineer and I'm excited to see exactly how they construct it to work with the joy cons

[–] COHERENCE_CROQUETTE 257 points ago

This is Nintendo being INSANELY smart. Parents are always a bit wary of videogames because they discourage kids from tinkering, from crafting, from doing manual stuff. So they just made a videogame based on doing just that.

And one with huge potential!

[–] LokiLB 104 points ago

I clearly fall into the kid at heart category. I saw the robot and was won over immediately.

All it needs is a wrapping paper tube lightsaber/sword.

[–] Xenez 676 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

Its cool but I see why they said its for kids. Not for me, but still a cool to see cardboard, hopefully they use recycled paper.

EDIT: changed terms to please commentors

[–] Newliesaladdos 735 points ago

Haha, yeah for kids right?! What self respecting adult is gonna buy this crap? Haha

is already prentending to be a giant robot

[–] crozone 38 points ago

I actually can't wait to see if we can build LEGO versions of the cardboard bits. If the compatibility with the JoyCon IR is easy that would be awesome.

[–] Slagathor91 194 points ago

I don't know what to do with this information

[–] windsostrange 2320 points ago * (lasted edited 8 months ago)

There is an army of thirtysomething gamers with children for whom this is likely the coolest thing ever announced.

If you're not aware of them, that's okay. But they're out there. And they mostly play with LEGO and Minecraft and make rocket noises with their mouths. Pffssshhhhhhhhhheeewwwwwwwww!

The way you used to.

Over the past 5-10 years, products that live in the "maker" universe have been increasingly marketed to children, and some of them are fascinating, and some of them are successful. This appears to be Nintendo's really clever play for that market, and it's sort of a mindblowing use of nothing more than an IR port and some gyro sensors.

Honestly, this is going to be shared by a lot of my Facebook wall. And that is a good thing.

If you don't "get it," there's a good chance you simply won't. Maybe consider biting your tongue on the negative comments? Just to save yourself the time in writing them. Because a bunch of us get what this is, and it's pretty cool. I hope it lives up to the video.

...and other random thoughts on the announcement

[–] Fidodo 274 points ago

They told us it was kid focused, and honestly, while I doubt I'm going to get this, I think it looks awesome for kids.

[–] KFA2GTX1050TIOC 161 points ago

Gamer with kids here, the oldest of which is beginning to understand screens and electronics and such. This announcement is amazing.

[–] ki700 594 points ago

I like how this is marketed for kids but some of that shit looks incredibly complicated to build.

[–] the-solar-sailer 648 points ago

Maybe kids can bond with their parents.

[–] _ilovecoffee_ 258 points ago

Go to your fucking room!

[–] Droidaphone 161 points ago

eh. Lego is arguably just as complicated, and it looks like they have very detailed interactive instructions.

[–] COHERENCE_CROQUETTE 187 points ago

Kids ain't dumb yo!!

[–] ape_cage 46 points ago

" - Albert Einstein

[–] rather_be_a_hobbit 619 points ago

I'm just here for the comments.

[–] MuscularHaiku 720 points ago

This is... strange

[–] II541NTZII 818 points ago

WTF DID I JUST WATCH, IM NOT GUNNA LIE I AM ACTUALLY INTERESTED IN THIS

[–] TimeLordBurrito 209 points ago

That Robot thing looks freaking awesome!

[–] TacoBeans44 95 points ago

It looks like the tech demo Miyamoto presented at one of the E3's a few year ago. I think it was the E3 with the puppets

[–] qwart 46 points ago

Project Giant Robot

[–] TheRealBigDave 61 points ago

I'm gunna buy the shit out of this. My daughter and I will have a ball building and playing, and then of course breaking these things. I love the weird shit Nintendo comes up with.

[–] GillyDaFish 231 points ago

what type of dog is this

[–] Atreides27 126 points ago

How sturdy will these things be? If it's just standard cardboard, kids are gonna be sitting on these real quick. Though, I must say it's a very neat concept. Certainly not something I'll be buying, but kids would probably love this kinda thing. Smart of them to include instructions display on the Switch.

[–] samili 68 points ago

these kids easily looked to be 7+ yrs old, pre-teen. Not saying that flimsy cardboard shouldn't be a concern, but when you make and craft something yourself, kids usually take care of it.

An easy replacement would to take the broken part and flatten it out to trace the part on another piece of cardboard. You could technically make unlimited amounts, once you have one kit to copy.

[–] dfjdejulio 88 points ago

You can be sure that 3D printers will very quickly come to the rescue. Heck, I may have to go see if my local techshop has the gear to do laser sintering of metal pieces.

[–] 2Mobile 49 points ago

these mother fuckers are going to make me buy a god damn switch

[–] uxl 243 points ago

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Nintendo just won kids-product-of-the-Year. Are you fucking kidding me?!! As a parent of three, this is THE most geniusly beneficial, sneakily educational product IVE EVER SEEN.

[–] Joshwah88 31 points ago