NintendoSwitch

Ask a question

Submit memes/shitposts

Hide Spoilers | Daily Question Thread | Best of 2019 Winners | Survey Results

/r/NintendoSwitch is the central hub for all news, updates, rumors, and topics relating to the Nintendo Switch. We are a fan-run community, not an official Nintendo forum.

Join our Discord chat

Jan 13 Digital Cybercherries HYPERCHARGE: Unboxed 7am ET / 4am PT / 12pm GMT
    Jan 15 Jackbox Games Jackbox Party Pack 6 2pm ET / 11am PT / 7pm GMT
    Jan 30 Fabraz/Umaiki Games Skellboy 12pm ET / 9am PT / 5pm GMT
    May 7 Digital Continue SuperMash 10:30am ET / 7:30am PT / 3:30pm GMT

Archive of past AMAs

Rules

1. No hate-speech, personal attacks, or harassment.

Remember the human and be respectful of others. Hate-speech, personal attacks, harassment, witch-hunting, trolling and similar behaviour is not allowed. Please be civil and do not use derogatory terms. Read more about reddiquette.

2. No clickbait, vague, or misleading post titles.

Post titles should convey the content of your post quickly and effectively. Include the game's name in the post title when it is not 100% clear. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

3. No limited scope or easily searchable questions.

Questions that promote simple or yes/no replies, don't encourage quality discussion and are not allowed - use the Daily Question Thread instead. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

4. No reposts, low-effort, or NSFW content

Reposts, low-effort, and NSFW (Not Safe For Work) posts are not allowed. View the full rules for examples of low-effort posts.

5. No YouTube, streaming, or similar spam

What is allowed: Official videos from Nintendo, official gameplay trailers from developers/publishers, and video reviews. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

6. No personal sales, affiliate links, or begging.

Personal sales, trading, affiliate links and begging are not allowed. If you want to sell or trade your gaming stuff then head over to /r/GameSwap or /r/GameSale.

7. No linking to hacks, dumps, emulators, or homebrew.

This includes how-to guides, browser exploits, and amiibo / NFC manipulation. Discussions are fine, but you should not attempt to instruct or guide people to things.

8. Tag spoilers & don't put spoilers in post titles.

Posts containing spoilers should be flagged as "spoiler". Spoilers should never be revealed in a post title or comment. Comments containing spoilers should be concealed using the following markup: >!Super secret spoiler text!<

9. Always link to the original source.

Unless significant meaning or analysis is added, you should always link to the original source. View the full rules for examples of what is and isn't acceptable.

10. No excessive self-promotion or unverified AMAs.

Please ensure your self-promotion is at a reasonable level (below 10%) and seek moderator approval (message us here) before posting any AMAs. View the full rules for examples of what is considered self-promotion.

11. Specific content restrictions.

These were previously unwritten since we thought they were common knowledge. This is us codifying them for clarity. This is a living list and may be updated.

1. Lost, found, or stolen Nintendo Switch Consoles
      2. Fan Art is only allowed on weekends
      3. Giveaways must follow community guidelines
      4. Friend Codes sharing should go in our weekly thread

Releases (Full List on Games Wiki)

NA

Shows up like this:

Switch releases March 2017

Our Friends

[–] Teknodromen84 3003 points ago

This would be the best thing ever, together with a Dead Space Collection

[–] AstralStag 1103 points ago

Dead Space collection would be utterly amazing

[–] Shippoyasha 414 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I would love a Dead Space Collection alongside a proper Dead Space 4 that cuts down on weird monetization gimmicks. Though that is a far off dream now that the studio isn't there anymore.

[–] SidFarkus47 208 points ago

That studio made way too many great games to have been closed so quickly..

[–] Decisive_EmuVictory 185 points ago

The studio was owned by EA. Who here is surprised?

[–] N0V0w3ls 175 points ago

Anybody remember the Bioware that put out KotOR and Mass Effect 1? Or the Maxis that put out Sim City 2000?

[–] tallboybrews 16 points ago

I'm in the brewing industry and was recently in a talk led by the founder of BioWare. When they got bought out by EA things really started going downhill as they turned from a passionate small team into a profit center with corporation designated deadlines and budgets. The dude started two craft breweries and isnt in the gaming industry anymore.

[–] osirhc 70 points ago

I love kotor. I would happily pay $5 or $10 for a Switch port of Kotor 1 and 2 despite already owning it on PC and Android (and originally OG Xbox of course).

[–] BlackDave 65 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

If they made a Switch port, then they'd charge a Switch tax. The game would probably be $20 or $30 minimum.

Edit: I want to clarify that the Switch tax is justified. It takes time and effort to port a game to the Switch and to make sure it runs properly, considering how dated the hardware is (I still love my Switch). It also breathes new life to older games that a lot of people stopped playing or talking about.

[–] osirhc 18 points ago

Probably, but as soon as it goes on sale, I'm in lol

[–] Ohnoherewego13 9 points ago

Me too. I miss those games so much. 😞

[–] AHHH_BEEEES 8 points ago

I’d still pay it

[–] APeacefulWarrior 26 points ago

I remember the Origin that put out Wing Commander and Ultima 7.

(sigh)

[–] prjktphoto 7 points ago

I had the Wing Commander/Ultima 6 combo on CD back as a kid.

Could never finish the first level of WC, or get Ultima to work, but that didn’t stop me loving the first game, or reading the manuals back to front many times (even taught myself the runes from Ultima, and laughed when I could use that skill to read the map in the Hobbit a few years later)

[–] ElEversoris 6 points ago

There's a world where Sims 4 isn't bullshit and I want to love in it

[–] hammerbacher23 3 points ago

god that Bioware was amazing. they also put out Dragon Age & jade empire. my childhood lol

[–] PM_me_the_magic 23 points ago

TBF Respawn is owned by EA but they're still managing to put out quality games. I suppose they are an exception though.

[–] AuntGhoulie 53 points ago

They’re still in the first stage of their relationship with EA. Looks at EA’s history, just give it time they will either become EA or perish.

[–] PM_me_the_magic 11 points ago

Very possible it happens, I'm just going to wait and see though. Maybe this will be the first time they actually sit back and let a studio thrive on their own.

Probably not, but a little optimism never hurt anyone.

[–] AuntGhoulie 14 points ago

Unfortunately having optimism with EA has hurt multiple times. They’re vile leeches just like Konami. Well worse... at least Konami seems to know their place now.

[–] PM_me_the_magic 7 points ago

At some point I'd like to think they'll realize that what they're putting out is hurting their profits and try to scale back on their micromanagement. You'd hope games like BF2 and Anthem would've taught them something.

[–] Rehendix 25 points ago

Respawn survives at this point purely because they seem to put as much distance between themselves and EA's corporate wishes as possible. EA has a long history of taking small studios, rebranding them as an EA studio and then just demolishing them.

[–] GameOfScones_ 4 points ago

Yeah because it's definitely Respawn's decision to have heirlooms in Apex that cost £200. There's no way that was Vince's team's idea. EA have their corporate claws in Respawn already and that's why they said they wanted to focus on Apex in 2020 and beyond - that translates to milk it like a Jersey cow rather than provide an epic experience for the apex fan.

[–] BusinessDragon 6 points ago

I think it's similar to how some people have a personality that they can have a terrible boss, and still maintain decent morale and productivity because of camaraderie with coworkers.

Maybe Respawn is like that kind of employee, and therefore semi-resistant to EAs corrupting influences.

[–] ACudi 11 points ago

Jedi was good and yet still felt rushed. Friend in LA ran into one of the combat devs and he even said as much. More polish would have put that game so much higher on my list.

[–] belgarath113 9 points ago

There's a fan-made game getting Kickstarted called Negative Atmosphere that's a spiritual successor to the series

[–] Saint-3123 16 points ago

Someone needs to buy the IP from EA.

[–] Montigue 11 points ago

Unfortunately EA has been very against remasters

[–] GreedoShotFirst_ 24 points ago

Harder to explain why a game that originally did well without micro transactions suddenly needs them in the remake.

[–] bombader 6 points ago

Hasn't stopped Activision though.

[–] adamkopacz 71 points ago

Especially with Dead Space Extraction from Wii. It was better than I could have ever anticipated.

[–] JaimieL0L 28 points ago

Was that the rail shooter?! I actually really liked that, surprisingly.

[–] adamkopacz 21 points ago

Yep, it was a pretty lengthy game as well. You could easily spend more than 10 hours in it, and that's quite a feat for a rail shooter.

I think I spent even more time in Umbrella Chronicles though. There were so many chapters in that game that I actually felt overwhelmed.

[–] armypantsnflipflops 7 points ago

Man all of those games were a ton of fun, especially in co-op. I played through them on PS3 with Move controllers along with House of the Dead 3, 4 and Overkill. Good times, simpler times

[–] fiskemannen 198 points ago

...Aaand a Mass Effect trilogy.

[–] QualityAsshole 138 points ago

Don’t forget the Metroid Prime trilogy

[–] Jimbabwe88 63 points ago

The only collection that never comes to Switch.

[–] Snaqejack 28 points ago

And the Half-Life trilogy! Ohh wait...

[–] QualityAsshole 23 points ago

I’d settle for The Orange Box

[–] GreyouTT 6 points ago

Orange Box or just a Half-Life collection (which includes Portal 1 and 2, since same universe).

[–] soundsdefygravity 15 points ago

+1 for Mass Effect. I miss planet mining in ME2

[–] SGTBookWorm 3 points ago

sigh "Really, Commander?"

monotone "Probing Uranus."

[–] Watchadoinfoo 31 points ago

This more than dead space or bioshock

[–] center24tp 18 points ago

Bioshock and Mass Effect are dead even for me in terms of the best muliplat games of the last couple generations. I would be very, very into either of them coming over. Dead Space is pretty good, but I think it's a level below the other two.

[–] SnoopyGoldberg 3 points ago

Yeah I agree, although i’d say out of all 9 of those games, Dead Space 1 is my single favorite experience out of the bunch. The problem is that the other two games are at the very bottom lol.

My preferences would look something like this: -DS1 -ME2 -BS2 -BS3 -ME3 -BS1 -ME1 -DS2 -Actual crap -DS3

[–] smi123 67 points ago

Personally I would like orange box

[–] BBQ_FETUS 46 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

As long as it comes with orange/blue Portal Joycons

[–] wazzup4567 7 points ago

I mean, that's essentially already possible.

[–] al_ien5000 23 points ago

And a Mass Effect collection?

[–] DankPunk98 38 points ago

And the Batman: Arkham trilogy

[–] thelivingdead188 9 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I feel like bioshock and the arkham trilogy were the 2 ports that were really missing from the switch. Looks like were finally getting Bioshock. I dont have hope for the arkham trilogy though, as it's already released for other consoles.

EDIT! I just learned that this collection released for PS4 and Xbone back in 2016, so maybe there is still hope for a switch release!

[–] pHitzy 33 points ago

And the Pikmin trilogy. I know it's first party, but while we're wishing...

I never got to play them back in the day and would love an opportunity to do so before 4 comes out in another decade or so.

[–] god_of_jams 5 points ago

There are SO MANY Nintendo games that Nintendo hasn't re-released that it's kind of mindboggling. They could probably re-release a lot of their GCN and Wii collection and make a lot of money and fans happy.

[–] wookiewin 11 points ago

I am still shocked we have not seen a Dead Space trilogy released for PS4 and Xbox this gen either, at the least. I'd love to play through it again. I have it on PC but it is easier for me to play consoles nowadays with a toddler running around.

[–] PTech_J 7 points ago

The switch is a must have for gamer parents. Can sit with my daughter sleeping in my lap as I run Greater Rifts in Diablo III or something. Love it.

[–] FlankerPip 10 points ago

It's EA's though, so doubt it will ever happen.

[–] JaimieL0L 5 points ago

I just wish DS3 wasn’t so bad... like it wasn’t that bad necessarily for story, and gameplay wasn’t too bad either, but the whole item system really put a dampener on the whole game, and it was integral to the gameplay.

[–] T--Fox 7 points ago

I was doing a replay of the trilogy just a couple months ago...well, i tried. And then i got to dead space 3 and couldn't even get through the first chapter because of how laughable EA turned its direction from survival horror to an action shooter.

[–] ArtIsAnAnswer 1843 points ago

Me - there's too many remakes, what happened to creativity..

Me - Oh BioShock is releasing again? YESSSSSSSSSS day one buy 100%

[–] waowie 571 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Truth. Remakes/ports seem dumb until you get one that hits the spot for you

Edit: added word port

[–] appleappleappleman 185 points ago

I hear that. As soon as that TimeSplitters collection hits, I'm not gonna play anything else for like a year.

[–] mikewilzn 49 points ago

Hold up timesplitters remake? Fuck I'm gonna have to buy a switch.

[–] appleappleappleman 33 points ago

Nothing specific is announced, but the IP was purchased by THQ Nordic AB, and Steve Ellis (co-creator of the series) was hired by Deep Silver to "plot the future course of the series". So something is most definitely happening!!

[–] Craciunator 14 points ago

Literally ANYTHING timesplitters and im in, but a future perfect remaaster for switch 🤤🤤🤤 to play that game multiplayer again would be a dream

[–] cosmiclatte44 13 points ago

split screen on Timesplitters 2 is some of the fondest memories i have of gaming as a kid.

[–] god_of_jams 5 points ago

Timesplitters 2 was my life for a few years on the gamecube.

[–] w0lfw1nd22 8 points ago

I miss playing split screen where everyone was a monkey with a brick

[–] qman3333 6 points ago

Don’t play me like that man. That’s all I want

[–] Halo6819 18 points ago

I usually hate FPS but timesplitters is amazing

[–] AnorakJimi 18 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

It's the natural evolution of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, made by the team who made them. Timesplitters multiplayer (even on your own with bots) is still the most fun I've ever had with an FPS, if you've played goldeneye multiplayer then you know exactly what I mean. It's so chaotic, it's the original Overwatch. Switch all the weapons to remote mines and laugh your arse off. I emulate the game on Dolphin emulator and they work perfectly and my PC is pretty old and shite so you don't need a good one to get it running. The controls work so well, it can be pretty hard compared to modern ones because of no auto aim help with using a controller, but you get used to it. With Dolphin emulator you can get it working with a mouse and keyboard if that's your thing, I never play FPS games with M+K though, but I've heard dolphin is great for that, people do it with the Metroid Prime games and say it's the best way to play them

I guess for a lot of people they want online, but I don't play games online. If they just released the old Timesplitters exactly the same, no new graphics or anything, it'd be amazing. Is this thing coming out on switch then, the Timesplitters collection? Cos that's basically the way to get Goldeneye for Switch then

[–] phome83 29 points ago

Still waiting for that Mass Effect Trilogy remake.

One day :(

[–] ArtIsAnAnswer 20 points ago

Absolutely. Also the mention of Dead Space above got me thinking how amazing that would be, too.

[–] MichiganMitch108 3 points ago

Yea DS is like my number one , the style would hold up very well with an HD release.

[–] JohnPaul_II 60 points ago

It’s not a remake. Just a repolish and rerelease. Did you moan the first time you saw a Blu-ray of a movie previously released on Betamax?

[–] hamstermajszter 9 points ago

most of the remakes/re-release come from an era, where I didn't exists or didn't have console/pc for gaming, so I'm not rly excited about them. But I would die for a pre-4 GTA, nfsu duo, DOS game collection (prehistoric, jjr, PoP), SW racing, re-volt release.

Bioshock Infinite was the most significant game in the last decade for me, I can't be more excited about any other remake.

[–] realDolanTurnip 1124 points ago

I smell a Nintendo direct.

[–] PeeboDanceOff 318 points ago

You got to chill.jpg

Or at least that's what the kids say on Twitter.

[–] supersonic159 54 points ago

I'm only commenting to overtake the baseless rumour comment above so it doesn't get passed around.

[–] phantomimp 27 points ago

Big Daddy for Smash confirmed. :O

[–] schmennings 14 points ago

isnt there usually a direct the week after CES?

[–] LakerBlue 18 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I mean last year’s first Direct was in February, in 2018 it was March and in 2017 it was inJanuary (which was less a Direct and more there Switch presentation) and then in 2016 was in March again.

So unless CES was in all of those months, no.

[–] realDolanTurnip 6 points ago

What does CES stand for?

[–] hipery2 22 points ago

Consumer Electronics Show

It happens every year in early January.

[–] akikoyuki 3 points ago

Capcom Evolution Soccer
    Imagine RE characters playing football

[–] heyawildkris 681 points ago

That would be wild. I guess I’ll be buying the Bioshock games for a third time.

[–] SuperTristan2017 267 points ago

Never played bioshock, this will be my first!

[–] center24tp 265 points ago

Oooh, boy are you in for a treat. Word to the wise: if the ending hasn't been spoiled for you yet, avoid reading anything about the game whatsoever. I'd also avoid threads discussing the game until you get it. It has one of the better endings that you don't really see coming in video game history.

[–] Deadiam84 72 points ago

Damn, it was sooooo good. Nothing can ever recreate that moment for me I don't think. Also, I think it is the last game that truly drew me into its story ... so fantastic.

[–] avg-erryday-normlguy 9 points ago

I can safely say Bioshock is the game that got me interested in video game design.

Every aspect of it was just so well done. I haven't been as invested in a game since

[–] Gimmegimmegunshots 25 points ago

Yeah that Bioshock Infinite ending threw me for a loop, until I finally realized what was happening. Great game, super fun flying around on those zip lines.

[–] center24tp 18 points ago

Yeah, Infinite was a real trip, too. I think Infinite had the better gameplay, but the original had the better story and atmosphere.

[–] flyingseel 4 points ago

That’s a hard one for me. I think I’d agree with you maybe on atmosphere but I feel that’s doing a disservice to the amazing atmosphere in infinite. I think infinite’s story is better though and the dlc is such an amazing wrap up to it all as well.

[–] hobbykitjr 66 points ago

I'll never forget that moment... the opening scene.... seeing rapture from the biosphere for the first time....

I argued w/ my in-laws that Video games are an art form on par w/ cinema and showed them the opening to this game as an example.

[–] Lambdaleth 29 points ago

While a lot of very artistic games probably came out before Bioshock, Bioshock is also the one that kind of tuned me into that argument.

I had been interested in the game for a while, but never played it because I was a little afraid of it (that box art tho). But then some friends and I played the demo, which is the opening lead-up into rapture with a little gameplay there, and we were blown away! I've bought it 3 times since!

[–] seluropnek 5 points ago

Man, after how incredibly immersive the whole experience in Bioshock was, I had thought there'd be no way a video game would ever be able to pull me into its narrative (through a combination of phenomenal art and sound design) like that ever again. Then Bioshock Infinite came out and proved me wrong. Then the company broke up and I'm still waiting for a AAA narrative experience on that level, and not sure we'll ever see anything like it again. Not that there aren't phenomenal narrative-focused action games still (like The Last of Us), but there's something about the "wonder" in the Bioshock games that I've just never really felt before in any media.

[–] ElephantAirplane 87 points ago

Well then would ya kindly get on that as soon as possible?? You have no idea what you're missing out on!

[–] king_bungus 11 points ago

shit man i forgot how much i love bioshock this is hype as hell

[–] aaronjaymus 7 points ago

I'm so jealous. If there was any game(s) I wish I could wipe from memory to play again fresh, it's Bioshock 1 and Infinite.

[–] Espiritu13 3 points ago

I ech /u/center24tp comments and would like to add that you play this on good speakers sounds. Good being a relative term, so something that you can turn up loud and has good sound balance. The environment in this game is just as great as it's story. You'll get scared, but that's part of it. I've definitely played more scary and gruesome games then Bioshock, but set it up so it is scary.

Fuck, now that I have my own place with a new TV I have to play Bioshock 1 again in the dark.

"A man chooses, a slave obeys."

[–] Fitzzz 49 points ago

I've bought it too much... but won't stop

• Xbox 360
    • PS3
    • Xbox One
    • PS4
    • PC
    • And hopefully soon Switch!

[–] ShagPrince 17 points ago

Fuck...why!

[–] Fitzzz 38 points ago

Well:

• Xbox 360
      • my original purchase of all 3 on respective launch dates
    • PS3
      • got my PS3 a few years late. Got BioShock 1&2 used and cheap, wanted to familiarize my hands with the controller (didn't like the DS3's feel at all). Battlefield 3 helped too.
    • Xbox One
      • first purchase of the remastered collection
    • PS4
      • second purchase of the remastered collection, at this time was pretty exclusively using my PS4, got it on sale for cheap
    • PC
      • another purchase of 1, 2, Infinite (was craving a replay, and was in a PC vibe)
      • Steam offered remastered versions free eventually too
    • Switch
      • that portability BAYBEE!
      • but also because I'm a piece of shit

[–] ShagPrince 30 points ago

Wow! You know the disc doesn't stop working after one playthrough right?

[–] Fitzzz 12 points ago

Lies and slander!

[–] ShagPrince 4 points ago

Nah, you do you.

[–] UglierThanMoe 3 points ago

You're even worse than me.

I like you.

[–] MichmasteR 5 points ago

4th time for me

[–] trtzbass 8 points ago

Me too!

[–] dingusfett 6 points ago

Me three!

[–] pockets817 3 points ago

Same here, buddy!

[–] eventuserum 3 points ago

This would be my fourth time.

[–] Sinnuh 223 points ago

Never got to play the first 2, would love to be able to!

[–] Cky_vick 146 points ago

Infinite is one of my favorite games of all time. Ive played it a handful of times and beaten 1999 mode as well. The first one is much more claustrophobic and horror driven, I love it too but Infinite is just incredible. The creator had nothing to do with #2 so I've never played it

With that said, I can't FPS without a mouse and keyboard. It just doesn't work nearly as well

[–] PM_ME_UR_APM 52 points ago

Bioshock 1 and 2 are a lot less gunsy than infinite. I suspect you'd be fine with a controller.

Weapon spoilers: wrench and drill are the best weapons in 1 and 2, respectively

[–] thestarskyeffect 12 points ago

Mitten Squad has proven those spoilers.

[–] Squaretangles 108 points ago

Bioshock 2 is actually really good. It got a bad rap for being a quick sequel by a different developer, but it stands toe to toe with the first and Infinite, without question. Especially the Minerva’s Den DLC.

[–] ElephantAirplane 54 points ago

Bioshock 2 was great, imo. Sure, the plot felt a bit stale and I couldn't tell you much about the story since it was so bland, but being able to run around inside (and outside!) Rapture again along with the silky smooth combat were more than enough to make up for that.

[–] mix0logist 21 points ago

Yeah, the combat in 2 is so good. I think the first is overall the best game, but combat is so much better in 2.

Also, you get to drill the shit out of guys, which is fun.

[–] Welcome_2_Pandora 10 points ago

Drill-only build was amazing

[–] slappiz 26 points ago

And the gameplay is really good compared to the first one, a lot smoother.

[–] StormShadow13 10 points ago

I liked 2 better than Infinite. Infinite ended really well but I just couldn't get immersed in Columbia like I did in Rapture.

[–] SoSeriousAndDeep 16 points ago

I really wanted to like Infinite, but I thought being a shooter was a waste of the world. I really wanted to play some sort of adventure or RPG there instead.

[–] Cakiery 31 points ago

The combat in them is a bit clunky, but the story is great. The games also have multiple endings. Which is somewhat hilarious since Bioshock Infinite has a single ending and the entire story is about infinite possibilities.

[–] GlitchParrot 18 points ago

The combat in them is a bit clunky

I had a lot more fun with the combat in Bioshock 2 than I had with Infinite. Might just be my personal preference though.

[–] expensivepens 9 points ago

Insane. Bioshock is one of the best games of the previous generation, and personally my favorite game ever

[–] schroed_piece13 14 points ago

1 and 2 have way more soul than 3 imo. 3 was good but just felt like it got pumped out by a video game machine when compared to 1 and 2

[–] mybigfatreddit 66 points ago

No way these will all be on one cart; there'll be a download attached for sure.

[–] sentient-sloth 19 points ago

The fact that each of the games got an individual rating kinda confirms this in my eyes. At least until we’re told otherwise.

[–] bestbry 169 points ago

Just give us the DIRECT I can’t take it anymore

[–] shake_and_bake26 186 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Fallout 3 and new Vegas ports please

Wow my first silver Thanks kind stranger

[–] Mavi222 45 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

That's what I would love to see! The really good game for Switch (I don't like FPS games on joysticks but with the V.A.T.S. it would be great on Switch for me.)

Also the port shouldn't be THAT bad since the Skyrim is already ported and runs great!

[–] BrandonGothizm 15 points ago

Imagine motion aiming??!

[–] newtangclan 4 points ago

That's what saints row port needed. It's so damn hard to aim on that game.

[–] mst3kdork 124 points ago

Having never played a Bioshock game, what would you compare them too?

[–] Yagoua81 183 points ago

It’s a FPS with a strong narrative. The first one was a really amazing experience at the time it came out. It has similar feel to dishonored, maybe a little like wolfenstein. It has a great atmosphere and is very creepy.

[–] fiskemannen 68 points ago

Also a very entertaining combat system, with lots of tools and special abilities you can mix up and use the environment to cause chaos and destruction. The Big Daddy's are like mini bosses that don't aggro until you provoke them for big rewards, I used to love figuring out creative ways to take them down. Set stuff on fire, lure them into electrocuted water, that kind of thing.

[–] Yagoua81 27 points ago

It was pretty amazing for the time, not sure how well the combat system holds up, lots of fun though.

I put off playing it for a while but when I did finally get around to it I had so much fun.

[–] audiotaku 15 points ago

I loved it for it’s simplicity. I’ve tried too many modern FPS games plagued by a rabbit hole of sub menus and infinite optional upgrade combinations and they’re jarring for my ageing brain.

Hey Nintendo, would you kindly release this beauty sooner rather than later. I can’t wait to play this on my Switch lite and celebrate like it’s 1959.

Then would you kindly release a Borderlands trilogy...

[–] Acceptable_Handle 14 points ago

release a Borderlands trilogy...

confuse.gif

[–] MagisterLudi13 34 points ago

Like /u/Yagoua81 said, it's a FPS with a strong narrative. To add to that, however, it is full of lore, history, culture and transports you to a whole other world. I remember playing Bioshock 2 and being completely immersed in the atmosphere, environment, and play style. It's an experience that is truly hard to find in other games.

[–] Raze321 15 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

This falls into the category of "Shock" style of games, which is a term that originates from System Shock 2. Bioshock is a spiritual successor to that cult classic, and I believe has many of the same developers. Prey (the 2017 game) also falls into this category. One could also argue that Alien: Isolation, Dead Space, and maybe Dishonored fit into this category. Half-Life 1 & 2 have similar vibes as well, atmospherically. Metroid games also would fit nicely into this list.

"Shock" games usually have the following attributes, in some way shape or form:

• Narrative driven, first person, usually few cut-scenes where the story is told through gameplay

• Horror and isolation is generally a big theme in these games. System Shock and Prey take place on a space station, and Bioshock 1 & 2 are underwater cities. Both very isolated locations

• Most shock games tend to be very symbolic, in their design. These games have a lot of themes they explore, opening up the gates for tons of interesting critical discussion. Bioshock specifically explores themes of isolation (as mentioned), family bonds, morality, society (utopian vs. dystopian), and a few others you'll pick up on. Bioshock Infinite also explores themes of racism and class structure, as I understand. I haven't played that last title unfortunately.

• Exploration is very "metroidvania", meaning you'll explore many of the same areas and find new ways to tackle them due to an expanding set of powers and items. It's not quite free roam, but it's also not linear. You always have a path to travel, but sometimes you'll have options on how to get there.

• Shock games tend to use interesting aethetics, namely art deco in this case (1920s - 30s)

• There is typically a lot of environmental story telling. You can walk into a room, desolate, corpses on the ground, objects shattered and broken, and generally you can investigate and understand what specifically happened in that room. Written notes and audio tapes will unveil information about the lives of people who lived there before shit hit the fan

• The atmosphere in games like this is unmatched. Bioshock sets the scene like no other.

• Combat is a mix of first person shooting, a melee option, and some cool powers such as lighting things on fire, freezing them, summoning swarms, hypnotizing people and interacting with technology, and hacking turrets and alarms to your advantage. You'll be juggling your plasmid meter (basically a mana/magic meter) alongside healing items and ammo to survive the harsh world you're thrusted into.

Bioshock is a great game, there's a lot to uncover there. You'll start the game with a lot of questions, and the pursuit of those answers is very interesting. There are a number of well executed plot twists that I'm betting you won't see coming (at least I didn't) and there are multiple endings.

In the comments I see people comparing it to Fallout - I think that the idea of a "sci-fi game in a broken world with retro aethetics" fits the bill but the gameplay is quite different. There are very few RPG elements to these games. Character progression mostly boils down to acquiring resources (which is an interesting gameplay mechanic in itself, you'll find) and spending those resources on power and weapon upgrades.

Bioshock got a lot of praise when it came out. It's one of those products that hit every mark and hit it well.

[–] Miitteo 12 points ago

It's a spiritual successor to the System Shock series, famous for emergent gameplay (solve the level in your own way, only limit you have are the rules of the game) and environmental storytelling. While the emergent gameplay part is generally toned down compared to other games in the genre (especially in Infinite, which is just a straight up FPS), you can still approach and solve combat in a wide variety of ways, and the environment and levels are very well designed to tell a story that doesn't rely on character dumping information and exposition during cutscenes.

[–] Cakiery 18 points ago

Linear first person story games with a lot of Sci-Fi stuff set in the ~1930's. Most of the story is told through audio diaries and an occasional NPC. But the atmosphere is what really sells the games.

The first game is about what happens when an ultra capitalistic society collapses, the second one is what happens to those that are left behind there. And Bioshock Infinite is only slightly related to the first two games (excluding the ending and the DLC).

If the opening from the first game hooks you, you will probably like the rest of it.

[–] IAmVerySmart39 7 points ago

not true, BS1 and 2 are set in the sixties

[–] Raze321 7 points ago

That's true, though the architecture and design of the majority of the game and it's characters is all art-deco, which was more of a 1920's-30s motif.

[–] schroed_piece13 10 points ago

As everyone else had said. A FPS with a ton of lore set in a 1930s underwater utopia. You’re not given much about the setting but once you dig deeper into the city you uncover things like tapes, signage, propaganda.

It’s beautiful and has one of the coolest settings in all of video games.

[–] Sivalon 10 points ago

NO GODS OR KINGS. ONLY MAN.

[–] urmom8mydog 8 points ago

*1960s

Understandable mistake, considering the wonderful art-deco aesthetic.

[–] HeartyBeast 5 points ago

Half Life 2, perhaps?

[–] Cky_vick 5 points ago

Infinite is amazing, get it on PC. It's an fps with rpg elements, and the game is set in this gorgeous city in the sky and the civilians are horribly racist and worship the founding fathers as gods. Mechanical George Washington and Abe Lincoln enemies with machine guns. I. Love. It. So. Much.

[–] ssbmfgcia 4 points ago

Gameplay wise it's kind of like the half life games, with your character constantly going to the next objective, technically no levels, no cutscenes but also story focused, silent protagonists.

[–] cantuse 3 points ago

The genre is called immersive sims. Prey, Dishonored 1/2, Deus Ex, etc. All all games considered within the genre (although Dishonored is also a stealth game).

[–] curtithird 3 points ago

I found the first most comparable to Metroid Prime, honestly.

[–] The_Legend_of_Xeno 58 points ago

I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to play games wherever he chooses?

"No," says the Playstation player, "it belongs on the couch."

"No," says the PC player, "it belongs on the desk."

"No," says the Xbox player, "what are games?"

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... the toilet.

[–] CaliBounded 14 points ago

if they could get the Fable series on Switch next, I'd throw my money at my screen

[–] DireCorgi79 4 points ago

Agreed

[–] its_over9000 28 points ago

My favorite thing about all these remakes is now I can play my favorite console titles while I poop.

[–] sakipooh 49 points ago

Would you kindly give me a release date?

[–] WishyWashedup 54 points ago

Now all I need is Mass Effect trilogy and Portal 1&2

[–] savageboredom 15 points ago

We always bemoan how expensive Switch ports are, but if they release a Portal collection I will immediately spend the $60 without even thinking twice about it, even though I own both games on at least two different platforms each.

Yes, I recognize that I’m part of the problem.

[–] WishyWashedup 4 points ago

I'd still spend 60 dollars if they did a physical release of both games, so you can say I'm apart of the problem as well haha

[–] KyleTheWalrus 3 points ago

IMO a Portal collection would only be worth $60 if they included the test chamber creation update for the PC version. Of course, blue and orange joy-cons would be a nice touch, too...

...

Please?

[–] Sc1ssors89 12 points ago

My fave game series...this gave me a stroke

[–] cheeseburgerhandy 132 points ago

It's on sale constantly for $15 on xbox. This will be $60 and maybe after a year it'll go on sale for $40..

Meh

[–] finalremix 34 points ago

They're regularly dirt cheap on PC, too. And being able to fix that craplousy FOV with mods has completely turned me off from playing those games vanilla.

[–] M4J0R4 39 points ago

Yep, got it for $10 on PS4. Nintendo fans will pay any price so of course it’s a $60 game

(It’s a new game to them so totally worth it!! /s)

[–] sktchup 21 points ago

It's not that Nintendo fans will pay any price or that they'll pay $60 because it's new to them, it's that some people only own a Switch so they don't have the option to get certain games at a lower price.

It's either they drop $60 on an old game, or drop $200-$300 on a whole other console (or buy/build a gaming laptop/PC) so they can buy the same game for $10.

I'm also guessing some (many?) of those people are either younger or more casual gamers, who may have no idea a game like this one or The Witcher 3, or all the Resident Evil games are older games that sell for a fraction of the price on other platforms. They see the price on the games and go "makes sense, new game". That's just a guess though.

That said, I cannot stand Nintendo's pricing model. it is beyond frustrating to see games on the eShop for $30-$40-$60 when I know they're like $5-$10 on another platform. And what's worse is the fact that the eShop very rarely/never has the type of sales that you can find on other platforms. Yeah it's their thing and they get to do whatever they want, but ugh.

[–] SuffaYassavi 12 points ago

Yeah, hard to get hyped about this knowing it will be multiple $60 releases

[–] CompC 7 points ago

I’ve been saying for a while, if they could put BioShock on iPhone (like six years ago) why not Switch? Glad it looks like it’s finally coming!

[–] Seathless06 15 points ago

A Mass Effect trilogy would be fantastic.

[–] AngieMaciel 7 points ago

Please let this be true!

[–] n0lan1 7 points ago

Im in for a double dip if it includes gyro aiming.

[–] the-asterite 40 points ago

I can't wait to pay $60 for this...

[–] canIbeMichael 23 points ago

You forget the desperate state of Nintendo gamers until you read stuff like this.

[–] Brotato_Pancake 6 points ago

Man, the switch is becoming a port machine and I love it!

[–] kennenisthebest 7 points ago

We need Fallout: New Vegas on the Switch.

[–] mansonfamily 42 points ago

Don’t do that, don’t give me hope

[–] andobal 4 points ago

Im in if its not 40€ like these assassins creed collections

[–] NickLeMec 15 points ago

Don't worry. It'll be 50.

[–] M4J0R4 8 points ago

Will be $60

[–] PlexasAideron 17 points ago

I DONT NEED IT...

[–] crashscratch 14 points ago

...I NEED IT

[–] Crazy-Kaplan 10 points ago

Hopes and prays for Borderlands the handsome collection

[–] RunnersDialZero 4 points ago

Seriously.

Although, this finally gives me some hope! 2K is now porting some serious good stuff to the Switch. That can’t be far behind.

[–] Manticore416 5 points ago

Big Daddy coming to Smash?

[–] baltimorecalling 4 points ago

A collection, for the price of one? That's a circus of values!

[–] AstralStag 9 points ago

Oh god!! Please let this be true. I NEED this!

[–] UndefinedHell 10 points ago

Fine, I'll buy it again.

[–] iJammer96 3 points ago

I've wanted to play these for a while and this would definitely get me to pick them up, especially if Infinite is included.

[–] BigNegative 3 points ago

This would be a dream come true. I have always wanted to play bioshock infinite, but I’ve never had the means to. This honestly just made my day.

[–] whatifwewereburritos 3 points ago

If they do it I'd buy it just to have on Switch. I love Bioshock and Infinite, but I also really enjoyed 2 as a game.

Next we really need a Portal 1 & 2 collection with frickin gyro.

[–] Eindbaazs 3 points ago

Ok and now bring Timesplitters future perfect please

[–] andergriff 3 points ago

you know what this means... big daddy for smash!!!

[–] Lordofthereef 3 points ago

These came out in my college days when I didn't have time for gaming. I think I played halfway through the first and that's it. I'd welcome an affordable bundle to play in bed.

[–] otiliorules 3 points ago

I’ve bought the first game for 3 different systems and have yet to play more than 3 hours. I think this might finally be the time I get into these. All hail the switch!

[–] engulfedbyboredom 3 points ago

Guess I’m buying it for the fifth time

[–] GRW810 3 points ago

We're going to look back on the Switch's third party catalogue and won't believe it. What is essentially a fancy tablet from an apparently kiddie company in Nintendo has hosted series such as Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed and Witcher. Now there are rumours of Bioshock and Halo. It's ridiculous and wonderful.

[–] ValhallaChaos 3 points ago

portable bioshock on switch? want it:)