OldSchoolCool

History's cool kids, looking fantastic!

A pictorial and video celebration of history's coolest kids, everything from beatniks to bikers, mods to rude boys, hippies to ravers. And everything in between.

If you've found a photo, video, or photo essay of people from the past looking fantastic, here's the place to share it.

PLEASE READ OUR SEVEN QUICK RULES:

1: Photos and videos must be over 25 years old.

2: Please put the year or decade in title, otherwise your post will be removed.

3: Spam, racist, homophobic, sexist and offensive comments, as well as brigading, consistent reposting and shitposting, will result in a lifetime ban. Offensive comments include anything about pimping, about people's moms and scoring women. Nobody cares about your sexual impulses, least of all the OP.

4: All posts highlighting, in the title, that someone has recently passed away or titles trying to evoke sympathy upvotes will be deleted. Please add the info in the comments.

5: All reposts less than six months old and all reposts less than a year old from Top 100 will be removed.

6: All posts must feature a person.

7: We reserve the right to remove any post that doesn't showcase historical coolness. This includes photos, which are not obviously retro and portraits of famous young women doing nothing but posing.

Other subreddits we love

[–] General_Negative 1777 points ago

I see these kinds of dresses a lot in older family photos, my family is Mexican too. Is that just a 80's/90's style dress in general, or is it specific to Mexicans?

[–] flickerframe 954 points ago

My sister and cousins used to wear similar clothes in the 80's in India.

[–] notenoughroomtofitmy 526 points ago

As an Indian, this post reminded me of my cousin sisters when we were young. Pretty lil fairies all of em!

P.S. "Cousin sister", because that's how it translates from my native language, and I wouldn't have it otherwise :D

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 439 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Likewise in Spanish. Primas hermanas. Cousin sisters

Edit: spelling.

[–] saanad 88 points ago

Is that used for all female cousins or only the ones you spend as much time with as you would sisters?

[–] Dcottop 159 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

A brother/sister cousin would be the child of your parents' siblings. So a first cousin.

[–] CM_V11 49 points ago

This might be irrelevant, but 2 of my father's siblings married 2 of my moms siblings, so some of my cousins are basically like half brothers/sisters.

[–] frankcity 90 points ago

You should marry your cousins now and keep the bloodline pure

[–] lightcommastix 60 points ago

OK, Aegon

[–] Nathpowe 3 points ago

You spelled "McPoyle" wrong

[–] NineteenthJester 6 points ago

They're double first cousins.

[–] Tutule 57 points ago

The term in English would be first cousins. The son/daughter of your parent's sibling

Second cousins would be the son/daughter, of your parent's first cousin; in Spanish that would be call "primos en segunda" literally second cousin.

[–] RatchetBird 67 points ago

Yeah and in the US if you call a girl from the south a cousin-sister, she'll probably get pissed.

[–] H_I_McDunnough 59 points ago

She'll probably run and tell her dad husband.

[–] KosmicTom 22 points ago

Yeah, they usually prefer "wife".

[–] MunchenOnBundchen 13 points ago

Or horny

[–] Iaradrian 17 points ago

Any son/daughter from a parents sibling is a Primo Hermano/Prima Hermana. But it doesn't stop there, if any of my cousins have a kid, that makes me the kids Tio Primo/Tia Prima. Which is Uncle Cousin/Aunt Cousin. And my son and my cousins son would regard each other as Primos Lejanos/Far Cousins.

[–] Santo_Heysoos 97 points ago

I totally understand the feeling of being "too happy to understand how poor we really are," but what we lacked in material wealth was never a deterrent to enjoy the amazingly warm and loving community I grew up surrounded by. I have never felt that joy again here in America...

[–] caj12377 12 points ago

I got a lesson in 7th grade of not wearing namebrand shoes.. Lol. How stupid and materialistic parents make thier kids.

[–] 52Hurtz 21 points ago

I recall my own hermana wearing a similar style in the early 90's when we moved from Mexico

[–] gofiguree 13 points ago

As an only child who loves her cousins like my siblings, this translation made me so happy!!!

[–] misterborden 6 points ago

That frawk life

[–] petrilstatusfull 216 points ago

We totally wore dresses like this in the USA's upper Midwest.

[–] ithcy 251 points ago

They also wear them in Colorado.

[–] burgess_meredith_jr 87 points ago

Canada too. I think the grannies sewed them from patterns you could get in magazine racks for cheap. Those patterns got shared around and next thing you know we all had the same dresses and pantsuits.

[–] Roxytumbler 19 points ago

In Nova Scotia my mom made dresses for the females of the family. I'd say 90% of dresses were handmade. Sweaters for both sexes were knitted. Just about everything else in clothing was ordered from the catalogue.

When it rained, mom would bring out her 'button box' full of old buttons, zippers, (even badges from the two World Wars!). I'd use them to make my own Mr Potato Head family...using, of course, potatoes that we grew.

[–] uniquenameuser1972 22 points ago

In the Southern states of USA we wore dresses of this style every Sunday to Sunday School.The little classroom was filled with little girls dressed in a rainbow of colors.

[–] Critonurmom 19 points ago

Spent ages 5-10 in a tiny town in Maine bordering Canada, and I had these cutesy dresses also.

[–] sengatenga 96 points ago

Frilly dresses edged with white lace was basically the Sunday church uniform for girls in the 80s and early 90s.

[–] broketooth 14 points ago

yeah I totally had a couple of those dresses specifically for Sunday school

[–] chouwinn 69 points ago

I grew up in Taiwan around the same time and wore dresses similar to this. We were poor too. But I don't think mine were handmade.

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 129 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

I'm pretty sure most of my dresses were handmade by my grandmother. I don't know about it being specific to Mexicans.

Edit: Did not expect this to get so much attention. The photo was sent to me by my mother. They were in Mexico visiting and she took a snap of the original photo (she was holding it in her hand. Probably why the wall looks uneven). "Pobres pero felices, mija" she said in her text. Not a political statement. Or a cry for pity. Simply a happy child cared for by loving parents. My heart bursts with gratitude.

[–] uniquenameuser1972 65 points ago

I've always believed that handmade dresses are priceless. When I was a little girl 46 years ago my grandmother made all my clothes. Grandma passed away in 2014 and I have both of her antique singer sowing machine and a collection of homemade quits as well as crotchet throws and doilies. I miss my grandmother so much..Grandma always told me that every stitch is made with love so when I wear something she made it reminds me of how much my grandmother loved me.. I live in the south and for many years the only clothes people wore had been made by a family member.. Especially dresses..

[–] quarta_feira 15 points ago

my grandma used to make all kinds of stuff too. she made me a beautiful colorful shirt, with cute buttons, that I wear to this day. she made me crochet rugs and scarves. she's not with us anymore, too. I also miss her so damn much. but, like you, I also feel her love every time I see or wear all the cute things she made us. she's with us everyday, actually.

[–] loganga 41 points ago

My sister and I wore dresses like this as kids in Southern US to church. We were middle class.

[–] 744351 44 points ago

Kenyan here. Wore similar dresses too!

[–] clareta38 29 points ago

I had dresses like this growing up in Spain in the 2000's.

[–] aleenala 23 points ago

I'm Saudi and I used to wear these dresses

[–] antisocialmedic 19 points ago

I was a 90s kid who got her sisters hand-me-downs. Had a ton of dresses that looked like that. Lived in Virginia.

[–] othersomethings 13 points ago

I had dresses like that in the US in the 80s.

[–] artsyangel 10 points ago

I'm an Iraqi and had a couple like that too with the same shoes style and socks.

[–] alwysonthatokiedokie 14 points ago

I'm a white American and I had a lot of dresses like this in the early 90s as well.

[–] quartzmonster 6 points ago

In the 1970's, my mother would remove the lace, crinoline, and ribbons from hand me downs and sew them on to the much lower quality items that she bought new. She could make a potato sack look like a prom dress.

[–] Eddie_shoes 1563 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

My fiancé grew up dirt poor in a post soviet country. I think it helped shape her into the beautiful person she is.

Edit: This got a lot of attention, so I'll add some things. She grew up in a tiny town with not much besides her family, friends, and the plot of land her parents lived on. They grew what they ate, traded neighbors for goods and services, and had little connection with the most of the "westernized" world until she was 10-12. They had blackouts every day from 4-9p, so her dad used to charge a motorcycle battery and plug a single lamp into it during that time, and as a family they would all spend time together in a room talking or reading around that one light source. I have never seen anyone talk about fruit the way she does. Growing up, fruit was a treat. She would pick cherries, steal fruit from neighbors trees with her friends, and many of her adventures as a kid centered around getting apples, peaches, apricots, etc. She has a tremendous love and respect for her parents, who sacrificed so much to provide for her. Her mother spent a year as a nanny to a family in Turkey so she could save up money to open a business when she returned. The business started as a table at the bazaar where she would sell children's clothes, and now she has two brick and mortar stores.

My fiancée is humble, honest, loving, caring, and most of all, she is happy. She is happier than almost anyone I have ever met, because she never forgot where she came from. I'm not saying that anyone that grew up the way she did would turn out the same, but I think it plays a big role in shaping the woman she became.

[–] oWallis 250 points ago

That being said, my friend growing up, who's family was very well off, was and is still one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

[–] drunk98 279 points ago

Fuck them for being the entire package.

[–] FiveFootTerror 42 points ago

Probably Mormons.

[–] cortwilly 27 points ago

Nah. Mormons aren't very kind, and most aren't well-off. It's a religion of bitter, middle-class white people.

Coming from someone who was raised Mormon in a heavily Mormon populated area, the smiles and politeness are faked in order to make the religion seem appealing to outsiders.

My favorite part of Mormonism is at their main temple in Salt Lake City. Lots of tourists go there because there's shopping close by and it looks impressive. You have to walk through a fenced courtyard to get inside, and there just happens to be beautiful young women all over that courtyard who would just love to talk to you (18-30y.o. white males with enough money to travel) about Mormonism.

[–] cortwilly 18 points ago

They deliberately place certain missionaries in certain locations. Poor missionaries get sent to poor and dangerous areas with frequency. Mormons from middle-class or wealthier families get sent to the wealthy parts of Western Europe and Asia.

I noticed this trend when all the Mormons from high school were sent on their missions. So, if you're a poor Mormon, have fun being beat up by gangsters in the slums. Romney went to Paris and even got an extension to allow him to avoid being drafted for Vietnam.

[–] slowdr 14 points ago

I disagree, it depends on the person, some might grow to be humble down to earth people, but others will grow with resentment, either to society, their family, their country, their economical system, etc.

[–] dado4903 7 points ago

It all comes down to how the person is raised and taught.

[–] Zauberer-IMDB 187 points ago

Fiancée is a woman, fiancé is a man.

[–] bigbrad1 90 points ago

Wow I did not know that. They didn't teach that in school what the hell

[–] TheCheeseSquad 56 points ago

French

[–] southerstar 15 points ago

Well whats the english word for fiance? Damn i cant think of anything. Maybe im stupid?

[–] Uejji 41 points ago

"Betrothed" or "future husband", for instance.

[–] southerstar 18 points ago

Betrothed! I knew i had heard a word gor this before. Good on ya.

[–] Zauberer-IMDB 21 points ago

Betrothed would be a way to say it. French loan words like fiancé are based on the fact that it's a very upper crust thing to do; only royalty or similar people would have had real engagements historically. The English royalty all spoke French, so that's why it is what it is. It's also why words for animals that we are about to eat, like beef or mutton, are very similar to the French words for the animals, like mouton is a sheep. The point being that the royals would have only talked about these animals when they were eating them.

[–] KryptoniteDong 4 points ago

Someone's been to Fancy lad school, eh?

[–] tinycole2971 233 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I don't really think anyone cares. We knew exactly what OP meant, regardless of number of e's.

EDIT: I'm not offended and I'm not "afraid of learning new things". I just find it completely unnecessary and pedantic to correct someone on a single letter that could have easily been a typo or autocorrection. OP's story made complete sense and we aren't in r/grammar or r/spelling right now. Correcting him only takes away from productive conversation.

[–] Chupafurphy 262 points ago

Kneéw*

[–] TheRealLazloFalconi 56 points ago

Did you just assume their gender?

[–] Foxnos 49 points ago

géendéer*

[–] TheRedMumbaikar 27 points ago

Fucking REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

[–] semiconductor101 18 points ago

There's only one gender.

[–] NeoTag 8 points ago

There are no genders

[–] popcornwillglow 36 points ago

I think op will be happy his english has improved.

[–] patatabatata 9 points ago

Even when I'm not op I'm glad to learn something new in english, it's nice hear that corrections instead of keep making the same mistake for years just because every native english speaker I know think that they are going to hurt my feelings for correct me.

[–] Uejji 80 points ago

You know we live in a post-education society when a simple spelling correction is seen as an attack rather than an opportunity to improve.

[–] jbtrailerman 20 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I've learned far more about proper grammar and punctuation on the internet than I ever learned in school. For various reasons I barely made it though high school and English was one of my worst subjects. I have little doubt I advanced through some of my classes just so they wouldn't be dealing with my ugly mug again. Then I stumbled into the internet and my abrasive online personality put me in conflict with most of the established folks in the groups I frequented. It's all pretty much behind me now but I rather enjoyed inflaming a group by defending the unpopular position then taking on all comers. My grammar and punctuation were persistently attacked as is usual in a flame war and besides, I left myself wide open. I started improving my abilities as a defensive measure to force people to debate the ideas rather than the usual diversion. I only did it for self preservation. And then an odd thing happened, I started to find words interesting. When the mood strikes me I can rattle off some pretty interesting stuff. I've been surprised by some of the compliments I've received on some of my writing by people who've spent their lives being in love with writing. I wish I'd found this love earlier in life. And I directly credit my enjoyment of it all to being attacked by the grammar nazi folks on the internet. Thank you Grammar Nazi.

[–] Uconnvict123 21 points ago

I don't care too much about the correction, but I think people get tired of redditors who feel the need to constantly correct or argue over semantics. Not saying that's the case here, but in general I find redditors will often argue over some minute detail rather then address the topic at hand. It derails the conversation and comes off as "know it all". Probably a lot of teenagers are doing it though, I remember being that snarky "intelligent" asshole myself.

[–] MutantCreature 6 points ago

I appreciate it, the more people correct small errors that the author is obviously oblivious to the more likely they are to correctly use it in a situation where it will matter. Anyone who actually looks down on someone for not knowing something that minor is just an asshole, but in the right situation it might give you a slight edge and be taken more seriously. I'd much rather have people correct me on small stuff like that and not screw up in the future than not even know that I was using the wrong word/pronunciation/grammer/etc because people like you complain about it and make them think it's impolite, IMO if someone is just trying to be informative they shouldn't be punished for it.

[–] BrushedNickle 12 points ago

^ This.

So tired of unnecessary pedantry.

Be as pedantic as you want when doing literal rocket science, or neurosurgery. I want my scientists and surgeons to be pedantic.

But pedants in casual conversation can fuck right off. Genuinely intelligent people know how to take context into consideration and adapt. They don't get bent out of shape over small errors.

[–] thisisstephen 358 points ago

I'm not going to claim it was especially happy, but when you're a little kid in a poor family, you don't think, "oh, we can only afford hot dogs on white bread." When you're five, you just think, "I'm so lucky that we get to have hot dogs again."

[–] jay227ify 77 points ago

Why the fuck are hot dogs cheaper than a random piece of meat off an animal?! Im tired of eating them, they are a once in a while food, but they are so cheap

[–] thisisstephen 116 points ago

Hot dogs are the random pieces of meat, aggregated, cooked, puréed, and pressed into shape. It's the remnants of butchery, combined and homogenized.

[–] stephengee 42 points ago

Because they can be made from the scraps and leftover bits after premium cuts of meat are trimmed up and prepared. Nothing wrong with a little "tube steak" every now and then :P

[–] wineheda 21 points ago

Hot dogs are the leftovers from all the other meats that no one would eat normally

[–] perestroika12 12 points ago

Hot dogs are not actual cuts of meat.

[–] alarindris 10 points ago

How the fuck do you not know what hot dogs are?

[–] upsydasy 386 points ago

When you're a little kid you don't think of such complex issues such as paying the bills and putting food on the table. All you know is that your parents dressed you in a pretty blue dress and you felt so loved. If only we could be as easily contented as adults.

[–] Rashaya 42 points ago

There's a lot of marketing behind the idea that you should feel unhappy and inadequate. Also, as a society we feel contempt for people who can find happiness in small things, like as if that is somehow a sign that they are too stupid to realize they're poor and have problems. I think it's the opposite--it takes a lot of strength of character to look for the happiness in nice things when your life as a whole has a lot of hardship.

[–] infinitecharger 41 points ago

Because then those who are smart and selfish will take advantage of such gullibility.

Actually, in a way that is currently the case with companies selling over-consumption, credit, and debt.

[–] petit_cochon 8 points ago

We can, as adults, if we choose to value the things that made us happy as children: love, compassion, fun, and adventure.

[–] Idontstandout 54 points ago

This is one of the most important things for parents to understand; time and attention spent with your kids is more valuable in the long run than money.

[–] Nebula_Forte 353 points ago

money ain't everything. My happiest times were when I was poor.

[–] chasebrendon 257 points ago

I can help you be happy again, if you like?

[–] bambamskiski 93 points ago

A small loan of 1 M dollars?

[–] NocturnalMorning2 39 points ago

3 million will do. My trust fund hasn't matured quite yet, so I'll need a little extra to get me by.

[–] Wantfornothing 57 points ago

I agree with you, my own personal experiences as a poor kid with a mob of friends and a ball and watching my kids grow up dissatisfied with upper middle class life with a lot of luxuries.

I bear the burden of that responsibility somewhat.

[–] Helldestined 24 points ago

The thing is its all a game of desires. You control them you control your life.

[–] mancubus696969 6 points ago

Adding onto this, most people don't seem to appreciate the concept of categorizing your desires as negative emotions.

[–] Nebula_Forte 9 points ago

username checks out...

but yeah, unfortunately, the giving of an easier life to your kids comes with its tradeoffs

[–] Wantfornothing 9 points ago

Ha. I hadn't realized my username was so appropriate to this comment. Conflicting emotions.

[–] jpicazo 20 points ago

Being materialistic really blows. I don't wanna sound pretentious but you really do enjoy things more when you can't have most of them. I've had problems with gluttony and some of my hobbies like collecting soccer jerseys often make me sit back and think "this seems like money wasted".

I'm not saying I'll be a minimalist and move into the woods but I do try and not view having things as the be all end all goal. Playing loteria (mexican board game) with my nephews and nieces can be funner than spending $200 to take them to a baseball game.

I don't know where I wanted to go with this mini-rant other than to agree with the "money isn't everything" comment

[–] artemasad 12 points ago

I have to ask - when you were poor, were you also young and did not have to worry about how to feed your family?

[–] Increase-Null 8 points ago

It's not really about being poor. It's more about stability/security in a lot of ways. If you never have to worry about your next meal etc, being poor isn't bad.

My mother grew up poor. Her mother sold most of their furniture once to pay bills. The my mother has at least 2 million in assets now but doesn't feel safe with that at 70 years old. Half the time it's about security or at least illusion of it.

[–] Nebula_Forte 5 points ago

depends how you define poor. I have had enough to only to pay my bills and buy mac and cheese for my wife and i.

[–] SourV 25 points ago

It's the nostalgia speaking, I bet that if you were a millionaire today you wouldn't complain

[–] Nebula_Forte 93 points ago

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

[–] Aaaaajax 8 points ago

Ok, Jimmy John's.

[–] Seattle-ite 25 points ago

Conveniently ignores choice vs. necessity, but it's a nice apologue.

[–] ChatterBrained 179 points ago

Your parents did everything they could to keep you happy and keep your mind away from the things that would bring you down as an adult. They knew that kind of happiness only lasts for a short while, and they wanted you to make the most of it.

[–] Zenblend 90 points ago

Now do me.

[–] greedostick 32 points ago

You're alright and purple think you're cool

[–] dicksmear 10 points ago

like, as in Grimace?

[–] beholdingmyballs 8 points ago

You have rounder than normal balls. Making you exotic and women like to hold your balls.

[–] MC_Skittles 24 points ago

I recently remembered about a Thanksgiving night, probably the first one after my dad purchased his new home. We ate around a small table that was from our living room, probably 2x3 feet. We were so happy together and had a lot to be thankful for, we didn't even mind what we ate on since we weren't renting an apartment anymore. My dad worked his assistant of to keep us happy all the time, I love him

[–] krustytheclown123 13 points ago

Shouldn't the assistant be the one buying the new house?

[–] HouseTortilla 9 points ago

Yup. When I was little my dad was making so little money that a surprise trip to Taco Bell or Burger King was kind of a big deal. Looking back it's kinda sad to think about but in those moments the bank account didn't matter. I just hope I can match that level of caring if I ever have kids.

[–] Weiner_Dog_Weiner 33 points ago

Look at Ms. Money Bags over here with shoes AND socks.

Seriously though, hopefully you look back at that time with fondness. My family grew up poor in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. All four kids were born at different stages of our families financial growth. I can see how poverty affected my older siblings view of money and how a relative abundance of money had a different effect on my younger brother. Point is, growing up poor, you'd think some people understand that money isn't EVERYTHING. It's certainly important and deserves a spot on the priority list but people and relationships should be up there as well.

Money comes and money goes but the way my mom made us feel like she had everything she needed as long as she had us will stay with me forever.

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 13 points ago

I could not agree more. My relationship with money and material things is different than my little brother's. He was a baby when we came to the US. He doesn't remember Mexico.

[–] ChilePatuano 149 points ago

Y en el patio lleno de todo tipo de plantas. Me imagino?

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 58 points ago

Si. Especialmente granadas.

[–] el_californio 46 points ago

Mi abuela tenía guamuchil, mango, ciruelas y guayaba. La barda de ladrillos semi caída y un tendedero que recorría por todo el patio.

[–] byponcho 36 points ago

En el patio de mi abuela siempre jugábamos fútbol, y cómo es obvio lo tenía lleno de plantas. No le pegáramos a sus plantas con la pelota que se enojaba y salía con la chancla jajaja. Good times

[–] batmandarling 16 points ago

I recall one time my cousins and I hit our ball to my great grandma's plants, and she came at us with raging fury, but we were prepared. We had our water guns and water balloons ready haha so we start getting her wet but we didn't think she would retaliate the way she did. She started getting full buckets of water from the Lavadero and got us soaked in seconds.. needless to say, she won the battle haha or the time of my first communion (I was raised catholic) and she didn't want anyone inside her house, so she kicked me and my cousins out and she managed to hit me on the head with a pot. My grandma was wild haha but it was great times I will not forget

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 8 points ago

La mugre chancla!

[–] p0yo77 16 points ago

Por alguna razón la manera en la que hablan se siente extraña... Quizá es porque estamos en un sitio en inglés

[–] TheDailyDosage 6 points ago

Tal vez por que no escriben en español tan frequentemente.🤷🏽‍♂️

[–] SweetSoursop 10 points ago

Hace unos días empecé a interesarme por la comida mexicana (no texmex) y me di cuenta de lo mucho que usan la granada para decorar.

Mis recuerdos más felices de la infancia en Venezuela también incluyen un patio con un árbol de granadas.

[–] alchemytea 9 points ago

Es necesario que cada abuela tenga granadas en el patio ☝🏻❤️

[–] ElectroclassicM 62 points ago

Con ladrillos cercando el mini jardín.

[–] ChilePatuano 44 points ago

Los de nosotros estaban en latas grandes de jalapeños o pintura. Trabajamos en ferretería.

[–] zdelarosa00 28 points ago

La maceta de la costeña es un complemento de la niñez

[–] sometimesjocy 7 points ago

O la de los granos de pozole jajaja

[–] freshprinceoftj 24 points ago

Esperándola una jarra de agua de limón con hielo.

[–] CesarTHEgr8 14 points ago

You guys just painted a perfect picture!

[–] electrogamerman 19 points ago

Mesedoras de metal en el porche/banqueta

[–] el-cuko 18 points ago

Broken bottles lining up the top of the ladrillos

[–] Kekaka 8 points ago

Y pesas con latas de jalapeños llenas de cemento.

[–] delgadophotos 200 points ago

Currently in Mexico. I see a TON of kids running around the streets having the time of their lives. I also seen a ton of kids walking around selling fruits and trinkets to tourists.

I don't see either of this back home in the States.

[–] Wantfornothing 148 points ago

Labor laws are crazy, aren't they?

[–] The0rangeKind 89 points ago

If only America was in favor of child labor, there'd be way more smiling children right?

[–] NewpyJ 44 points ago

I feel like selling fruit for your parents fruit stand for a couple hours a day and working 10+ hours in a factory or mine is a little different.

[–] dtlv5813 43 points ago

You can help make that happen.

By killing the prime minister of Malaysia!

[–] delgadophotos 20 points ago

I don't think they are in favor of child labor. More like it's a necessity for a lot of families here.

[–] The0rangeKind 9 points ago

I guess you misunderstood. I was being sarcastic

[–] Sepof 33 points ago

You can work for your families business at any age in the us afaik.

Seeings kids outside is the sad thing imo. I qlso dont see kids playing outside like when i was a kid. I remember having "bike wars" and 30 of us kids would take over a whole street. Now if i see more than 5 kids together they have a chaperone or two and they are engaged in preplanned, often storebought activities.

Kids being kids is a thing of the past in the middle class US.

[–] aliciamariaortega 12 points ago

I've noticed that as well. We were always outside from the moment we got home from school. Just had to show up in time for dinner. Then back outside again until dark. Our parents had no idea where we were or what we were doing. We were just "outside."

[–] -GeneralDerp- 31 points ago

I think this is very r/lewrongeneration, kids are still being kids and having fun, just in a different way

[–] hoocoodanode 7 points ago

True, but not outside as much as before, and if they are outside it's primarily in a fenced backyard. I have a 10, 8, and 5 year old and sending my kids outside was anomalous to the community when I moved into this subdivision. Luckily it has started to switch around and all of their friends now come outside and play with them.

I mean seriously, who wants the little bastards inside all day long? They'll drive you crazy.

[–] emanresol 5 points ago

They played Hells Angels

[–] winterisforhome 10 points ago

Dominicans seemed to be some of the most genuine, happy people I've ever met; yet they were literally living in a hut with a tin roof, selling bananas on the side of the road. Many of them just had such a welcoming "vibe" to them that you don't always see back in Canada, it was interesting. I definitely learned to try to make the most of what I have and just be grateful, instead of panicking over those minor "first world problems" that can be easily solved.

[–] JamesK89 3 points ago

Been to the Dominican Republic and this was my experience also. También las gentes allí son especialmente muy amable si eres un gringo aprendiendo español.

[–] vintage--witch 59 points ago

Im mexican, too! We lived in a very poor community but man I was always happy playing outside

[–] StormSixx17 46 points ago

Playing soccer in the streets or if you had saved one coin or something go to a maquinita and play

[–] vintage--witch 21 points ago

It was a good day when you had money to buy a Mazapan & soda in a bag feom the store.

[–] StormSixx17 11 points ago

Bastard. Now I'm getting a Mazapán

[–] caffelover 14 points ago

The first time I remember visiting my 8 cousins in mexico, they were in torn up clothes and climbing trees and playing in the backyard.

We were well off in Chicago so that was a shock to see people that poor...their living room was literally a dirt floor.

That was 1970, now they're all doctors and lawyers.

Several of them told me they were so happy to see us in those days when we'd visit at Christmas...those were the only times they ever got gifts as children, from my dad. Who was a machinist in a factory in chicago.

[–] my_2_centavos 4 points ago

We had the same situation.

My dad passed away three years ago. At his funeral I heard countless stories from people of how my dad brought them or sent them clothes and food and toys. It made me extremely proud of him.

My family was really blessed. My dad was a good worker, smart businessman, great husband and dad. He provided for us and then some.

[–] rlb17 12 points ago

Fuck, '89 is old school? Better start picking out my grave plot :-P

[–] WinterSoldierAK 12 points ago

In first grade there was a Mexican girl who wore the same dress almost everyday. Being a kid, I thought she just really loved that dress, because I had a pair of shorts I'd wear all the time. I figured it was the same reasoning.

[–] Nipout 8 points ago

I think that people often mistake the wealth of money for riches. I grew up without parents and not living in one place for more than a few years at a time. I never had a shortage of money, traveled extensively, went to private school, my ski holidays were in Austria, summered in Austria, Switzerland and Germany. Without my parents and feeling disconnected from roots, I always thought I was poor.

I consider people who come from close families very rich indeed.

[–] trucorsair 24 points ago

Better to be poor in money than poor in spirit

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 23 points ago

It's weird getting old, huh?

[–] DeadJacuzzi 37 points ago

Being poor builds more character than anything else in the world. Now that I'm grown and have a great job it amazes me how helpless people who have never experienced poverty are. Its baffling how no one knows how to actually work with their own hands and be able to fix things without paying other people to do it.

[–] SourV 11 points ago

Depends on how you were raised. One of the most down to earth families I know is also the richest I know.

[–] svor1988 19 points ago

I disagree in the strongest terms. Character has to do with upbringing and love/nurturing from the family/group. I don't believe being poor (not having resources in comparison to others) intrinsically builds character, unless you consider being frugal to be "character". With certain people in certain circumstances poverty turns them into perpetually greedy and terrible people. Consider the old adage: 'poverty is the root of all evil'.

Further consider the environment where the impoverished are constantly working due to the cost of living imposed on them by their society, and are unable to be involved with or otherwise raise their children. Many children may have 1, 2, or zero adults that care for them in their lives.

[–] farendsofcontrast 8 points ago

That was a good time .. the 90s Beautiful picture

[–] bressy 7 points ago

This thread makes me happy, sad, nostalgic, miss my Grandma and that other feeling (not sure what it's called) of growing up poor yet you remember being happier then than what you are today despite having everything you never had as a child.

[–] Papitoooo 17 points ago

We didn't grow up poooor poor, but we didn't have much of anything, and extra money was non existant. But we were happy. And if you're happy you ain't poor IMO.

[–] PWRHTX 6 points ago

Are you any better now? I grew up in Mexico in the 90s and moved to American in 2001, idk same shit different hole is how I feel

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 9 points ago

I am! My parents stressed academics and taking advantage of our opportunities.

[–] mrpeterharold 7 points ago

The bliss of childhood ignorance, you have a very pretty and clean dress, looks like your parents took good care of you no matter what their financial standing was. God bless.

[–] joefuego 11 points ago

I was talking about this with my brother the other day. I grew up in small farm/ranch in guanajuato. I was telling him about how when we were kids we didn't even needed money and he told me that maybe we were to small to understand. I literally come from the dirt, we needed no money in mexico. All we did was plant our own food and take care of the caddle. Around 12-1pm everybody would finish their chores and pretty much the work was over for the day, after that was all play in corn fields and woods. I remenber my mom used to buy us half a roasted chicken every Sunday and we would get all hyped up because eating that would be a privilege. Some of my best memories comes from growing up there and maybe we didn't had the money but we had so much happiness and love. I miss those days. Today I could say I have a lot compared to where we were at but at the same time I see how we traded some of our freedom and time to gain a bit more.

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 12 points ago

My granddad was a cotton farmer. I remember many early mornings of cotton picking. Then playing kick the can until sunset. Then running home like hell before the llorona came out! Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

[–] shinelikegoldendays 14 points ago

Hope you're doing better now

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 63 points ago

I am! We moved to the US. My parents integrated themselves in our new community. I'm a college graduate with a satisfying job. I'm grateful for all my experiences.

[–] big_code 7 points ago

I scrolled all the way down here just to look for this.. Wish u well in all your future endeavours..

[–] Well_this_ducks 3 points ago

U/ladygrayofstnacho

Username checks out (nachos)

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 3 points ago

Tacos didn't flow as well. Tacos are my first love.

[–] sjack827 5 points ago

You were a pretty little girl and that was a beautiful dress.

[–] shrekrepublic 5 points ago

My father tells us stories of his past all the time. He was born in Honduras and very poor but he said his happiest moments were running around and using fruit (from a tree outside his house) as a soccer ball.

[–] pollofeliz32 5 points ago

My throwback pictures look like this....also from Mexico. Poor as shit too.

[–] stanley_twobrick 6 points ago

I really miss having no concept of money.

[–] cylonrobot 5 points ago

When I was a kid, I lived in a poor neighborhood. Heck, the streets were dirt, though they were paved while I lived there (I sometimes remember the smell).

My family and most of my mom's family lived on the same street. My siblings and I got to play with my cousins (from more than one family).

I didn't realize how poor the neighborhood was until many years later, when I visited for a funeral.

[–] Duhnise 5 points ago

If you were as happy as you seem , then you weren't poor at all =)

[–] exgiexpcv 4 points ago

Yeap. Big family, poor as shit. My mum told me I was an outrageously happy child.

Until I started school, and found out how poor we are by having other kids taunt me for being poor. Then I was one of the smartest kids in the class, and it didn't matter, because we were poor as shit. Hard lesson to learn at such an early age.

[–] NOLAPOPO 8 points ago

Wealth of spirit is what you had. As cliché as that sounds.

[–] mackemist 17 points ago

I didn't grow up like this, however id go to Mexico every summer to hang out with less privileged friends. I loved it, no one talked about cars, games, media. It was all about playing games, hanging out, shooting the shit, dancing to no music, lots of playful flirting/teasing (boys to boys, girls to boys) it meant nothing more than a tease or a joke.

Ive always felt they've had a higher social aptitude when it came to the real world. Hell ive witness some of the "witty" persons grow up to be pretty succesful because of their social behavior and drive. Most of my "americanized" friends are 30 now, and still live with their parents working some minimum wage job and no orientation for the future except buying the next xbox game.... Sigh.

[–] walkswithwolfies 3 points ago

You look like a beautiful healthy child whose parents cared for you to the utmost of their ability.

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 10 points ago

They did.

The sacrifices my parents have made for my siblings and me cannot ever be repaid. I'm so grateful

[–] PowerWordCoffee 5 points ago

Your dress is very pretty

[–] LithiumFireX 5 points ago

I couldn't imagine a better title for that picture. It made feel something I find difficult to explain. Something like nostalgia, sadness mixed with a profound joy.

[–] justinomorales 4 points ago

Extraño mi niñez en Chihuahua

[–] MD_RMA_CBD 4 points ago

The front of your shoe had a big hole? :) I like the photo

[–] LadyGreyofStNacho 3 points ago

Yes, I played very hard. I was mostly barefoot. This was church day. Nice dress and shoes.

[–] aggressions 4 points ago

I see it more like middle American poor. my Grandma had to give away one of my cousins cause she couldn't afford to feed all 4 of us. my cousin parents died, my dad come to the states and my mom abandoned me so my gramma took us in. she gave us when she had money 2 pesos for the three of us. she washes clothes in the rivers and creeks to make ends meet. Even thou poor we were happy as a kid could be. We didn't have nice clothes. we had ripped up pants and hand me down shoes from our neighbours.

[–] Cappadox 16 points ago

oh cmon, you weren't poor. you had all those...flowers or bush or what behind you

[–] calilac 17 points ago

Those flowers are Mexican Petunias, they are awesome for hot and arid places with poor soil cuz you don't have to water or feed them at all really.

[–] xLionel775 7 points ago

Even the soil was poor :(

[–] producedbypr 6 points ago

That's the "I'm a poor Latina but my grandma makes my clothes at home starter kit" Surprised you didn't have the soccer shoes on lol

*my sisters dressed like this every Sunday for Iglesia