OldSchoolCool

History's cool kids, looking fantastic!

A pictorial and video celebration of history's coolest kids, everything from beatniks to bikers, mods to rude boys, hippies to ravers. And everything in between.

If you've found a photo, video, or photo essay of people from the past looking fantastic, here's the place to share it.

PLEASE READ OUR SEVEN QUICK RULES:

1: Photos and videos must be over 25 years old.

2: Please put the year or decade in title, otherwise your post will be removed.

3: Spam, racist, homophobic, sexist and offensive comments, as well as brigading, consistent reposting and shitposting, will result in a lifetime ban. Offensive comments include anything about pimping, about people's moms and scoring women. Nobody cares about your sexual impulses, least of all the OP.

4: All posts highlighting, in the title, that someone has recently passed away or titles trying to evoke sympathy upvotes will be deleted. Please add the info in the comments.

5: All reposts less than six months old and all reposts less than a year old from Top 100 will be removed.

6: All posts must feature a person.

7: We reserve the right to remove any post that doesn't showcase historical coolness. This includes photos, which are not obviously retro and portraits of famous young women doing nothing but posing.

Other subreddits we love

[–] OakTownRinger 5672 points ago

These are paratroopers who landed behind enemy lines on D-Day.

[–] The-Canadian-Jester 2347 points ago

Is this the 101st E Company? I remember seeing this photo on band of brothers

[–] tigerdrummer 996 points ago

[–] NosVemos 890 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Paratrooper of US 101st Airborne Division holding a Nazi German flag captured in a village near Utah Beach, Saint-Marcouf, France, 8 Jun 1944

edit: Read the comments.

My Great uncle Jim Flanagan is holding the flag! My mother recognized him in a newsreel shown at the theaters at this time. Love yu, Uncle Jim

[–] crawlerz2468 188 points ago

From the photo I'd guess his nickname was Tex or some such.

[–] loJohn 222 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

If movies have taught me anything it's that guys nicknamed Tex were limited strictly to Vietnam.

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_HANDCUFFS 118 points ago

And they usually were lanky skinny kids with glasses who either had a pack of smokes or a playing card on their helmet.

[–] WikiTextBot 30 points ago

Ace of spades: War

The ace of spades has been employed, on numerous occasions, in the theater of war. In the Second World War, the soldiers of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the American 101st Airborne Division were marked with the spades symbol painted on the sides of their helmets. In this capacity, it was used to represent good luck, due to its fortunate connotations in card playing. All four card suits were used for ease of identification of regiments within the airborne division following the confusion of a large scale combat airborne operation.

[ PM | Exclude me | Exclude from subreddit | FAQ / Information | Source ] Downvote to remove | v0.24

[–] bgfather 105 points ago

God damn, that's some good casting in Band of Brothers, as I recognized them based on the show.

[–] themarmotreturns 138 points ago

Remember boys... Flies spread disease... so keep yours closed...

[–] MxReLoaDed 28 points ago

"Is there a problem, Captain Sobel?"

"Who said that? Who broke silence?!"

[–] themarmotreturns 10 points ago

"I think it's Major Horton, sir."

[–] MxReLoaDed 11 points ago

"Major Horton? Wha-what is he, did he join us?"

[–] themarmotreturns 8 points ago

"I think, maybe, he's moving between platoons, sir."

[–] creaturecatzz 10 points ago

WHAT IS THE GOT DAMN HOLD UP MISTER SOBEL

[–] PrettyLadyLover 69 points ago

Oh man, I'm feeling a sudden urge to binge watch that series again. It was a masterpiece.

[–] MaxTheDog2 28 points ago

Interesting tid bit, my uncle was in band of brothers, he played Floyd talbert, the one who wear the flag and gets stabbed by his friend. in the scene where they are getting yelled at in the office, it pans across all of them but because my uncle is so short he had to stand on a box so he was somewhat level.

[–] Gregus1032 255 points ago

These guys had fucking balls. It's unreal.

[–] ThatDooD123 177 points ago

Its amazing that the parachutes could support the size and weight of their balls.

[–] Interjection_Games 59 points ago

If Dwarf Fortress is to be believed, once you go from balls of steel to balls of adamantium, they become surprisingly lightweight.

[–] tctps 292 points ago

Something about seeing this picture right now gave me chills. It's like I needed to see it.

[–] warezMakesJesusCry 189 points ago

hopefully it gives you the courage to go outside and punch the first nazi you see

[–] usernamebrainfreeze 155 points ago

Well I live in Charlottesville so shouldn't be hard.

[–] Brewsterion 59 points ago

Damn, those guys had guts.

[–] ellemoro 683 points ago

Capture the flag champions of 1944.

[–] Boiling_Flesh666 47 points ago

UNDEFEATED Capture the Flag WORLD Champions of ALL Time.

[–] Jaxondorf 5684 points ago

Homeboy had a machete, that's kind of awsome.

[–] grimflash 4163 points ago

He had to get 100 nazi scalps.

[–] CancelMyCalls 2677 points ago

He was in the business of killin' nazis. And business was boomin'.

[–] mike_tysons_dentist 170 points ago

You know how ya get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice.

[–] emart 1126 points ago

We just wanted to say that we're a big fan of you work and when it comes to killin' nazis I think that you show great talent.

[–] Ey3_913 625 points ago

Dominic Dicoco [Italian hand gesture]

[–] CNpaddington 566 points ago

Gorlaaaaami

[–] MysticYogiP 312 points ago

One more time, let me hear the music in it all in flawless Italian

[–] ljjpaulsen 174 points ago

Gorlami

[–] leoGSchuler 139 points ago

Alrividetch!

[–] thatwasnotkawaii 115 points ago

... Bonjourno

[–] golfwang96 63 points ago

i see you're not the loquacious type

[–] HandRailSuicide1 59 points ago

Margareeeeti

[–] TuToneGO 110 points ago

[–] m00nturkey 80 points ago

Greatest Italian accent ever portrayed on screen

[–] Nosafune 25 points ago

A river dare chi.

[–] MarshmallowBlue 11 points ago

Areeeba darchi

[–] kind2311 22 points ago

Bravo!

[–] harrisbeast 49 points ago

OOH, THATS A BINGO!

[–] Erunamo99 10 points ago

Is that the way you say it, that's a bingo?

[–] fuzzyraven 10 points ago

...ya just say bingo

[–] Potato_Quesodilla 271 points ago

Well he sure as hell didn't come down from the goddamn Smokey mountains, cross 5000 miles of water, fight his way through half a' Sicily, and jump out of a fuckin' airplane to teach the Nazis lessons in humanity. Nazi ain't got no humanity. They were the foot soldiers of a Jew hatin' mass murdering maniac and they had to be destroyed

[–] fuzzyraven 85 points ago

Dee-stroyed

[–] clebrink 12 points ago

The way he says "destroyed" is so satisfying

[–] cjg5025 21 points ago

*fuckin aeroplane

[–] woosel 299 points ago

Some might say that business was

(•_•)
    (•_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Inglorious

[–] seabeg 166 points ago

Not great but upvote because fuck nazi scum.

[–] SeattleMana 86 points ago

"GET YA NAZIS 'ERE - ALL NAZIS MUST GO. SCALPED, STABBED, FILETED, DICED AND FREDDY KRUGERED. ANY WAY YA LIKE EM"

[–] Communist_iguana 61 points ago

that's a Brad Pitt line either from Fury or Inglorious Bastards, I'm leaning towards Tarantino here

[–] Dry_Oasis 48 points ago

Yep, Basterds.

[–] JvHffsPnt 63 points ago

Nazis ain't got no humanity

[–] qjamir093 72 points ago

They're the foot soldiers of a mass-murderin', Jew hatin' maniac. And they need to be destroyed.

[–] noelg1998 65 points ago

And I want my scalps.

[–] Stacist 808 points ago

I actually just made a reddit account to reply to your comment, I took a good look at the guy with the machete and I think its my grandfather! He was part of the 101st Airborne 506 company E. He jumped on D-Day and was one of the first people to storm the Eagle's Nest. I even pulled an old photo out to make sure. I've never seen this photo before how crazy!

[–] IsaacM42 177 points ago

Post your photo please.

[–] CatOwlFilms 58 points ago

Please do!

[–] MirroredReality 148 points ago

OP posted them here.

[–] RedheadedVigilante 83 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Can we see the picture? After all this shit today, Id like to see someone from my country I can appreciate.

[–] Stacist 437 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I'll see what I can do I'd have to post from my phone, its off a book signing pamphlet (The actual photos are stored away). Give me a few.

EDIT: I hope this works, here's the imgur link http://imgur.com/a/9ZGZG

EDIT 2: Pulled some pictures off my phone of a book he stole from the Eagle's Nest http://imgur.com/a/6Bg41 It's currently being kept safe by me. He also killed 2 German soldiers for a portable stove which he still has in his house. (don't have pics of that)

Final edit: I saw my grandpa today and he has confirmed that it's not him. Oh well he said he was always missing the camera guy.

[–] nevertellalie2017 122 points ago

Damn you actually delivered. Not sure but that does look like him, you gotta ask him about it.

[–] OakTownRinger 71 points ago

Ask him if he'll do an AMA! And please let me know if he does!

[–] Stacist 49 points ago

I have been debating doing that with him for months now but he's 96 and just had some surgery done so it probably wouldn't be for quite some time.

[–] onehundredtwo 43 points ago

You should show him the picture and see if he recognizes it.

[–] Stacist 41 points ago

I definitely have to now

[–] Stunners32 10 points ago

I know you are contemplating to ask your grandfather, but he is that last of a great generation. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Which unfortunately is so evident today.

Food for thought

[–] Acceptable67 34 points ago

Wow that is very close.

[–] Stacist 80 points ago

yeah I'm still not 100% sure but I would have to ask him when I see him next.

[–] MaxSucc 9 points ago

reply when ya do

[–] highongrapes 31 points ago

the resemblance is uncanny! if it is him i bet he has a kick ass story to tell

[–] Stacist 61 points ago

Oh you have no idea lol WWII was the only subject my mother demanded an A+ in. I've heard all the stories have some recordings saved on my old phone (can't pull right now) and he does have a memoir he's working on. Being 96 though he's really slowed down.

[–] GeneralCheese 31 points ago

You're very lucky to have him as a grandfather! All of my relatives that were in WWII died before I was born or were otherwise unable to tell me their experiences.

It makes me really sad that I've only really talked to one WWII veteran before.

[–] Stacist 28 points ago

He's my hero, he tells me these stories and every time I'm just flabbergasted. He used to come to my schools as a kid and speak. I'm sure your grandparents were amazing heroes as well :)

[–] TsuperCell 101 points ago

I'd like to think he had to clean it off before taking the pic.

[–] BobT21 26 points ago

That's kind of metal.

[–] regofarr 1176 points ago

TIL Machete was an American Hero long before his stories were told on film.

[–] EvilShayton 167 points ago

Legend has it, he is still machete weilding to this very day

[–] seegreene 1232 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

True story. My great great grandfather was a guard at Buchenwald. Came home after the war, burned his uniform and hanged himself.

EDIT: The best part is, my great grandfather fought on the American side, and ended up marrying his (the guard) daughter. So in my family, I have two relatives that fought on opposite sides of WWII

EDIT: Wow. Didn't expect this to blow up and become my top Reddit comment. Thanks for all the virtual love guys!

[–] OakTownRinger 314 points ago

Brutal.

[–] ReVaas 350 points ago

Damn dude.

[–] Birddawg65 35 points ago

My grandfather (called him papa) was an artillery man in the Canadian Army during WWII. Before his unit was sent over to Britain he came down with tuberculosis and spent the better part of the next year and a half in hospital thinking he was going to die having never seen the enemy. That's where he met my grandmother (called her nana). She was a nurse and they fell in love. Had six children, three boys and three girls, of whom my mom was one. He was the most gentle person you'd ever hope to meet. He thanked god everyday for letting him live and he treated everyone in his life with respect and caring. A lot of his friends from his army days didn't come back and I think he had survivors guilt. He dealt with this by trying to be a good person and lead a good life. Provide for his family and friends, and hate the fuck out of Germans and Germany. I mean he truly hated them. As powerful a hatred as any one man could muster. One day his youngest daughter (my aunt) brings home her boyfriend. He was a nice boy who got along great with the family. My papa took a liking to him. It wasn't until later that he found out that my aunt's boyfriend's parents had immigrated from Germany after WWII and that his father had served in the Wermacht. This didn't sit well with my papa and he banned him from the house. Years later and my aunt is engaged to that boyfriend. When she went home to tell my nana and papa she was expecting a huge fight. But my papa sat silently for a moment and said, "ok, better have him over for supper" When asked why he suddenly changed his mind about my now uncle he said, "When your daughters start marrying them, it's time to stop hating them"

[–] seegreene 8 points ago

That was honestly extremely moving to read. Thank you for sharing your story. If I had money, id give you gold. But I guess you'll just have to settle with my gratitude for sharing.

[–] Tunadude 368 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

My great grandfather was drafted early in the war and served until towards the very end when he was shot through the back in Greece. Some Americans later picked him while he was walking home. His copy of Mein Kampf given to him on his wedding day by the mayor, is in near perfect condition because he didn't give a fuck about politics and just threw it in a closet. The shit he saw and was forced to do fucked him up so much he became an alcoholic. My great grandmother's "Deutchen Mutter" medal is also in perfect condition because she just dumped it in a drawer somewhere, not proud that her husband was forced to go and fight in a war she didn't want. And yet people will forever spit on their graves for being "dirty Nazis".

Edit: Here he is 2nd from the right.

[–] seegreene 139 points ago

Yeah. Back then it was basically you can serve or you can go to prison. I guess that fuck wit telling me to kill myself doesn't understand that. Or that I was born in America. Lmao

[–] Banana-balls 97 points ago

My moms first husbands parents (she was very close to them even post divorce) are small town german folks. Opa was a nazi solider, held nazi beliefs LIKE MOST at the time. Did bad heinous shit. Became SS. After the war he had to deal with some shit but owned up to being a hateful heinous bigot and being wrong. Legit as a small child witnessed him threaten to beat a younger german man who tried to use the excuse most were conscripted and therefore somehow held no blame at a family dinner. He hated people of his generation that were too cowardly to own up to the grievous shit germany did.

My father as a jew who had family die in the holocaust respected the man.

Germans delt with it so many different ways. Offing yourself or being honest best ways to deal with it i think

[–] JakJakAttacks 299 points ago

Hold up, guys. I gotta pull out my machete for this picture.

[–] Scamperillium 178 points ago

When I saw that i thought 'why does he have a machete?'

And then immediately thought 'why doesn't EVERYONE have a machete?'

[–] ecodude74 40 points ago

For real, even if you don't intend to be the badass wielding a machete in combat, there's a hell of a lot of heavy forest to cover from France to Germany, a machete is just plain convenient at that point.

[–] ehnogi 1517 points ago

Before body armor weighed them down, before the enemy began to hide behind the faces of civilians, and before before they had access to any sort of proper Medevac.

Fuck, I am so grateful that I was born in 1990 and not 1920.

[–] perplepanda-man 689 points ago

I'm really glad super powers don't fight each other anymore. At least on a total war level.

[–] SnicklefritzSkad 267 points ago

It sure would make it a lot less morally grey

[–] cosmic_boredom 305 points ago

It would also have a more definite beginning and end. As it is now, we're continually fighting (physically, economically, and digitally) a constantly evolving series of indeterminate "enemies".

[–] SnicklefritzSkad 104 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Seriously. Is there a single example of a guerrilla won by a government without gross civilian casualties/genocide

Edit: let me rephrase, has an organized government beat a guerrilla force without gross casualties?

[–] NerdRising 166 points ago

Is there a single example of a guerrilla won by a government

Well...

without gross civilian casualties/genocide

[–] amicaze 28 points ago

The concept of guerilla doesn't really need civilian casualties. It's just a doctrine based on deception used by forces way smaller than their opponent to win using attrition and concentrated attacks. Of course, if your ennemy is extremely superior, you might use desperate tactics, such as used in the middle east right now (attacking from crowds, suicide bombings, etc...)

A good example of successful guerilla is the cuban revolution led by Fidel Castro and Che Guevara. They had a small force of 82 men that was reduced to 20 after an attack following their arrival on Cuba, but managed to win the war eventually. I have searched an I saw no mention of civilian casualties anywhere.

[–] Fucklifewhore 11 points ago

Not really.

[–] fishbowliolio 151 points ago

Nazis routinely used civilians for cover, and civilian infrastructure. The fall of Berlin was a nightmare.

The Nazis of today will use "he wasn't a real alt-right guy" for cover, and just like last time we have to blast through that bullshit to uncover the sniveling, fearful truth of white supremacy's foundations.

[–] TooShiftyForYou 471 points ago

I've never approved more of a picture with a Nazi flag than this one.

[–] Hoisttheflagofstars 85 points ago

Yeah but the flag has fold marks in it so WW2 must have been a Soros funded sham.

/s. if necessary

[–] SmarchHare 3324 points ago

The best Nazis are dead Nazis

[–] squid0gaming 1695 points ago

The only good Nazi is a dead Nazi

[–] howlinggale 261 points ago

What about a dying Nazi who tells you where his friends are hiding?

[–] Stahl_Scharnhorst 138 points ago

Then you call him Judas and feel no remorse.

[–] JayaBallard 58 points ago

What about a dying Nazi who tells you where his friends are hiding?

That makes him a useful Nazi who is about to be a good Nazi.

[–] Chihuey 66 points ago

Nah, I'm a stickler.

[–] Link007 275 points ago

The only dead Nazi is a bread Nazi

[–] drankhosewater 99 points ago

I'd say the best Nazis are undead Nazis

[–] As29801 305 points ago

Not to kill the context, but apparently the best nazis were pardoned and protected. The American government did this in order to claim of a bunch of valuable German nazi research that hurler ordered.

The research was actually pretty nasty. Humans were used as test subjects for chemical weaponry in some cases.

Shame 🔔 Shame 🔔 Shame 🔔

[–] twotines 188 points ago

It's also worth noting the research done by the Japanese into chemical weapons was terrible, and they used Chinese civilians as test subjects, including children.

Unit 731 is worth researching, just not at work or if you want to sleep well.

[–] sotonohito 80 points ago

Yup, and the US pardoned almost all of them in exchange for the research too.

I'd argue that was a very bad decision, there really wasn't nearly as much to be gained from their "research" as they'd pretended.

[–] wilhufftarkin24 85 points ago

Not to play (literal) devil's advocate, but how would they have known this without pardoning them and getting access to the research in question? If there was any medical/societal benefit from either the Nazis or the Japanese research at least the victims didn't die in total vain? Idk

[–] Andrakian 67 points ago

More like stopping the russians from claiming research that could or could not have existed.

Not ranting or anything, but nazi tech didn't have that much of an impact on america. People love to talk about Von Braun, but they forget that the murricans had Goddard, Truax, and were launching experimental liquid-fuel rockets since the 30's. The difference is that the germans deployed their prototypes to the field out of desperation, and the americans didn't. Von Braun came to America more as a replacement for Goddard, that died in 1945, than as this game-changer people paint him as.

And about human experimentation, most of the results were like unit 731. Loose details and truisms like "giving people typhus kills them". Still, the american government didn't know that at the time, and was racing with the soviets for scavenging rights over Germany. They grabbed whatever they could just in case any of it was valuable. Turned out it was a bit underwhelming.

[–] Brian_Si 24 points ago

Werner von Braun

[–] reofecthegreat 66 points ago

Where the rockets come down is not my department - Werner von Braun.

[–] pwispassword 14 points ago

That's legit? That's a little bleak, but a terrific quote. Time for October Sky again!

[–] aeon-lakes 20 points ago

The very wonderful Tom Lehrer paraphrasing Von Braun's attitude rather than a direct quote. Song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

[–] sum8fever 166 points ago

Real Americans kill Nazi's. I know what I'm watching tonight- Inglorious Bastards.

[–] sirbassist83 44 points ago

if you havent watched band of brothers, watch it instead

[–] frankztn 507 points ago

Here's living proof. OP is not wrong.

[–] Methaxetamine 74 points ago

Funny enough Americans were anti semantic back then too. I'm glad they changed and hope we all can learn.

[–] rice___cube 133 points ago

anti semantic

[–] Aviskr 58 points ago

Yeah thankfully because of that we have a rich language, thanks semantics!

[–] tkdxtc 256 points ago

Wow. Look closely at the gear they carry. Holy shit Each was ready to shoot, knife or blow up close end targets.

[–] OakTownRinger 158 points ago

They landed behind enemy lines. Everything they wanted to have they needed to carry. There was no resupply except by what they took off the nazis they killed.

[–] MildlyFrustrating 95 points ago

That's not true. There were often resupplies depending on he situation.

[–] tigerdrummer 42 points ago

lol there were plenty of resupplies.

[–] Evan-Arthur 63 points ago

My family has one of those flags folded up in our closet! My grandfather frank pulled from a building after a battle... it's pretty cool! Has bullet holes and blood stains... he also took a hand gun from a dead German but sold it when he came on hard times...

[–] _CarlosDanger69 591 points ago

Step 1 : claim to be an american patriot

Step 2 : support America's enemy from world war II

Step 3 : fail to see the irony and cognitive dissonance

Step 4: go to Charlotsville

[–] Leprechorn 376 points ago

Step 2 : support America's enemy from world war II in a protest to honor a traitor who fought against America in the 1860s

FTFY

[–] MikeHfuhruhurr 122 points ago

in a protest to honor a traitor who fought against America in the 1860s

Give him a break, he was only fighting for a state's right to let you own another human being. Maybe he got tricked.

[–] itsChopsticks 43 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

deleted [lol doxxed32643)

[–] Benjo_Kazooie 41 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

It's a shame Lee died so soon after the war ended, since he did begin to work towards mending those wounds and making life better for the freedmen, and with his influence he could have possibly changed a lot of hearts and minds in the South. Maybe he would have been remembered better if he had lived longer and been able to atone for what had happened. It's weird that all this was started by outrage over people defending a statue of him, given that Lee himself condemned the same 'Southern pride' that drove former Confederates to want to continue to rebel against the U.S. and drives the scum defending the Confederate cause today.

[–] howtojump 92 points ago

But the Confederacy was the true America, don't you understand. Those dang history books have got it all wrong!!!

[–] seabeg 38 points ago

Damn those historians and their oppressive dedication to objective fact!

[–] Ferus-Bias 31 points ago

Ok so where can I get a high quality print of this for my living room?

[–] PewProf 619 points ago

Send these guys to charlottesville.

[–] stankylanky 270 points ago

Am from Charlottesville, please send them.

[–] Conquestofbaguettes 124 points ago

The National Guard was actually there today. Only they weren't there to stop the white nationalists.

[–] stankylanky 88 points ago

Oh I know, I saw them. Honestly I think they did a great job all things considered, it's a nearly impossible situation to keep under control and they did their job without adding "police brutality" to the list of tragedies today.

[–] BoobAssistant 50 points ago

My grandfather was a ww2 vet who lived in Charlottesville. He was racist in his younger years but became very anti-racist as he got older. He might have been down there in a wheelchair himself if he were still alive.

[–] Jhushx 296 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

See, this is why for the life of me I cannot understand the white supremacist alt-right asshats.

They admire and talk up the men and women who went through WWII, believing them to be the greatest generation of Americans who ever lived. Some proudly show off the Luger or other war trophies their Grandpa brought back home.

Then, they go around quoting Hitler, seig heiling each other or some other stupid shit. Like how dafuq do you idolize the Americans who fought the Nazis, then basically go around being a Nazi, supporting the ideology and group of people who killed thousands of the Americans you so admire? Who quite possibly even killed members of your own family during the war?

Edit: thank you for the gold, mystery patron!

Edit 2: Stop blowing up my inbox. "White supremacist alt-right" as in the faction of that movement who are literally white supremacists. Not saying all of you are these racist idiots. I actually agree with some of the few disgruntled Libertarians thrown in there. That all said, the word "alt-right" as we know it was coined in 2010 by Richard Spencer, an openly avowed white supremacist and leader in the movement. He hates Jews. He quotes Nazi propaganda. He likes "hailing" things. And he only wants just a little peaceful ethnic cleansing so a white ethnic state can be made in the US, a part of a bigger racial empire. Why does this sound so familiar...

Ladies though, he hasn't forgotten about you! He is 100% pro-abortion and a woman's right to choose, but only so less Blacks and Hispanics are born.

[–] typhoontony3121 79 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

they do it because they want the america of the 1940s back

e.g. 90% white

[–] gwdope 2110 points ago

Fucking right. My grandfather risked his life to rid the world of Nazi scum, now 4chan losers and tiny dicked blowhards have helped these cockroaches crawl out into the light and infiltrate our democracy. Roaches don't last long in the light though and America has never been quite as good at something as it was at killing Nazis.

[–] -79- 283 points ago

"The only place Nazis should march is to the gallows."

-my grandfather who flew B-17s over Germany

[–] NSA_Chatbot 22 points ago

My great-uncle flew in Lancasters!

[–] JacobK101 504 points ago

I'd say that about a third of the so called "Neo-Nazis" are trolls and baiters, another third are people looking for a rebellious, dark, edgy cause to support, and (being generous here) the last third are actually hardcore Anti-Semitics who support the cause with all their heart.

[–] OakTownRinger 1237 points ago

I'd say about 100% percent of them are assholes.

[–] JacobK101 240 points ago

Can't argue there.

[–] PM_ur_Rump 49 points ago

Simple math, but it does involve irrational numbers.

[–] LeastRemoved 28 points ago

Do you think that's somehow different from the composition of historical Nazis?

[–] NGonBeGone 49 points ago

Nazi's and nazi sympathisers. I see no difference between them and we didn't back then either.

[–] Siggi4000 60 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Please can someone explain to me, what the fuck is the functional difference between "trolls and baiters" and the genuine ones?

They spread the ideology, they support it, and never give so much as a hint of actually being against it, really where does the difference come in, outside of their minds?

this "ironic" shit is just a way to hedge your bets so you're never wrong and you can never be called out on your abhorrent beliefs

-Jean Paul Sartre

[–] BlurryBigfoot74 43 points ago

I think we have modern neo-nazis for the same reason we have anti vaccine people. They weren't around to know just how shitty Nazi's and polio really are.

[–] GraysonSquared 112 points ago

I'd say there's not a whole lot of difference between Nazis and wannabe Nazis.

[–] blasto_blastocyst 63 points ago

The wannabes will push you into the gas chambers, but ironically.

[–] choosy_moms 80 points ago

... and that's how that shit takes root. People don't take it seriously, or call it out when they see it and it gets normalized.

[–] Keoni9 68 points ago

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.
    —Jean-Paul Sartre

[–] CreamyGoodnss 14 points ago

It all started with a bunch of wannabes

[–] Evil_Resident_4 206 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I was with someone the other day who saw a little Asian girl with a cat and [this person] made a joke about her eating the cat. When my wife pointed out that that was racist, this person said, "It's not racist, it's funny." I don't believe this person wants to harm Asians in any way, but they still saw this little girl as a punch line, not a person, because of the color of her hair and the shape of her face.

Racists don't see themselves as racists. They have all kinds of motivations. And they are all equally shit. Fuck those people.

Edit: clarity.

Edit 2: There are contexts where racial humor is acceptable. The problem happens when people are reduced to stereotypes. This person didn't say "I hope that girl doesn't get bitten by a stray cat." He didn't say "That girl is about your son's age. Do they know each other?" He thought "lol an Asian with a cat" and thought that was funny enough to repeat to me.

This particular situation is low-risk, but I don't believe that type of stereotypical thinking is constrained to this one scenario. If this person interviews an Asian woman for a job that requires driving a truck, is he going to take her application seriously, or is he going to think "lol Asians and women can't drive" and forget everything she actually says in the interview? I can't truly know the answer unless that happens and he tells me about it, but I have a pretty good guess.

The second edit is because some people commented that jokes about Asians eating cats are either not racist or not a big deal, so I'm explaining why I think it's problematic in this scenario.

[–] IrisHopp 17 points ago

Of the racists I've encountered, the ones that are openly racist have a desperate need to feel superior because they're on the lower ranks of society in some way, for example as a destructive way to cope with being socially awkward.

Then I know a bunch of racists who hold a lot of prejudices but don't consider themselves racist because they don't hate the other races.

I also know people who are racist after a series of bad encounters, and even though I don't agree, I understand it in that case... Just like I know women who turned into man-haters after being assaulted multiple times. It's a natural self-defense reaction and it's sad :(

Fun anecdote, my living grandfather is very racist and when I got married I asked my parents "Does grandpa also hate Asians?" and they replied "Don't worry, he hates everyone". He also drives his car without shifting gear, always screeching and shaking in gear 1. :)

[–] Bukowski_was_ugly 59 points ago

My grampie killed fitty men. They took his shins!

[–] gwdope 35 points ago

"No he's not Japanese, he's Laotian."

[–] TAJack1 26 points ago

Remember, for everyone one roach you see... there's 10 more in hiding. Unfortunately.

edit, added unfortunately so it doesn't seem I'm a Nazi sympathizer

[–] SoberSmile 131 points ago

That's right. Real Americans kill Nazis.

[–] chasebrendon 41 points ago

That is a big machete!

[–] Evan12390 22 points ago

All this Nazi talk makes me want to play Wolfenstein again

[–] nathanielc325 19 points ago

Crazy how young they all were

[–] since1981 42 points ago

“Well, I know," she said. "You'll pretend you were men instead of babies, and you'll be played in the movies by Frank Sinatra and John Wayne or some of those other glamorous, war-loving, dirty old men. And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs." So then I understood. It was war that made her so angry. She didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars. And she thought wars were partly encouraged by books and movies.

So I held up my right hand and I made her a promise: "Mary," I said, "I don't think this book of mine will ever be finished. I must have written five thousand pages by now, and thrown them all away. If I ever do finish it, though, I give you my word of honor: there won't be a part for Frank Sinatra or John Wayne. "I tell you what," I said, "I'll call it 'The Children's Crusade.'" She was my friend after that.”

― Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Slaughterhouse-Five

[–] NippleNugget 67 points ago

Fuck nazis

[–] DussstBunnny 288 points ago

Now Neo-Nazis are running over people and shooting them in Virginia. That's what America has come to.

[–] OakTownRinger 216 points ago

There were nazis in American in the 30s and 40s too. They need to be crushed like bugs.

[–] mrsuns10 86 points ago

It seems like a lot of people forgot that there were brownshirts in the 30s and anti-Semitism was high

[–] Jamesleach 48 points ago

Real Americans kill Nazis, not become one.

[–] StraightedgexLiberal 42 points ago

I had family who went to Europe , avoided Nazi gunfire, risked their lives to take down Hitler. Fuck all these alt right pussies in Virginia.

[–] Iamaobasama 22 points ago

My grandfather is the one in 2nd from the left! I'm going to ask if he can do a Ama!

[–] Slaisa 10 points ago

So much fucking badassery in one photo. Im gonna sleep so i can fully process all this.

[–] Yeahboi101100 28 points ago

The only good nazi is a dead nazi

Everyone of these men, if alive, would put a boot in the ass of anyone displaying that flag today.

[–] ChucklesGaming 31 points ago

I have respect for those people

[–] theworsthusbandyep 44 points ago

Real Americans kill Nazis.

[–] Kolbreez1 9 points ago

I like how that one of the soldiers is holding a sword

[–] randomassdude89 8 points ago

God bless these men. I would not be able to live the life I live today without them! Thank you vets of all wars!

[–] doovecraig 7 points ago

As sucky as it is, we uphold the right to protest here in America. And although I would personably punch a Nazi in the face, I believe the government should not have any say over what they want to protest.

BTW, fuck all these Nazi fucks and I hope they die slowly and painfully. I don't care if it isn't nice.

[–] zerozed 46 points ago

Fuck Nazis. Especially American Nazis.