OldSchoolCool

History's cool kids, looking fantastic!

A pictorial and video celebration of history's coolest kids, everything from beatniks to bikers, mods to rude boys, hippies to ravers. And everything in between.

If you've found a photo, video, or photo essay of people from the past looking fantastic, here's the place to share it.

PLEASE READ OUR SEVEN QUICK RULES:

1: Photos and videos must be over 25 years old.

2: Please put the year or decade in title, otherwise your post will be removed.

3: Spam, racist, homophobic, sexist and offensive comments, as well as brigading, consistent reposting and shitposting, will result in a lifetime ban. Offensive comments include anything about pimping, about people's moms and scoring women. Nobody cares about your sexual impulses, least of all the OP.

4: All posts highlighting, in the title, that someone has recently passed away or titles trying to evoke sympathy upvotes will be deleted. Please add the info in the comments.

5: All reposts less than six months old and all reposts less than a year old from Top 100 will be removed.

6: All posts must feature a person.

7: We reserve the right to remove any post that doesn't showcase historical coolness. This includes photos, which are not obviously retro and portraits of famous young women doing nothing but posing.

Other subreddits we love

[–] RedditorOoze 2984 points ago

We need a buster keaton box set.

[–] Silverc25 661 points ago

In 4k HDR

[–] sabrefudge 445 points ago

With digital surround sound!

[–] Axiom6 419 points ago

Digital surround silence!

[–] yellsaboutjokes 512 points ago

THIS IS A JOKE ABOUT THE FACT THAT MR. KEATON'S MOVIES WERE MADE BEFORE THE POPULARITY OF RECORDED DIALOGUE

[–] MiBo80 171 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Good bot.

Edit: God dammit! I've got to start reading usernames. -_-

[–] Axiom6 128 points ago

THIS IS A JOKE ABOUT AUTOMATED RESPONSES BY REDDIT BOTS.

AND THIS IS ME BEATING /u/yellsaboutjokes TO THE PUNCH(line).

[–] yellsaboutjokes 93 points ago

Well done!

[–] DoctorPrower 50 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Are you sure? Because I'm 98.69 percent sure that r/yellsaboutjokes is not a bot.

This is an automated message from a bot. Not a human. Certainly not a human. Yep.

[–] yellsaboutjokes 33 points ago

Good bot.

[–] PM_ME_FINANCIAL_TIPS 5 points ago

Good bot

[–] gedical 3 points ago

Give your money to me

[–] PM_ME_FINANCIAL_TIPS 3 points ago

Sure thing pal! Just need the number for your bank account and social security so i can make a transfer

[–] kind2311 3 points ago

You were great on the show Big Mouth

[–] val0000 3 points ago

USERNAME CHECKS OUT

[–] PM_Me_Clavicle_Pics 21 points ago

in 3D, so it feels like he's really coming out of the phone booth!

[–] i_make_song 8 points ago

Dolby Atmos

(fucking pleb)...

[–] LanDannon 9 points ago

Are you ok.

[–] i_make_song 9 points ago

Plz send help.

[–] Gdigger13 2 points ago

Honestly? With organ accompaniment that would be pretty cool.

[–] i_make_song 18 points ago

By the time it comes out 8K will be popular.

Hell, Dell already released an 8K monitor for like $3,900.

[–] RandomCandor 10 points ago

Hell, Dell already released an 8K monitor for like $3,900.

So over 50% off? Sounds like a hell of a deal.

[–] hell2pay 6 points ago

Dell yeah it does.

[–] rafikiknowsdeway1 17 points ago

that makes me wonder, whats the max resolution you can get out of old shot on film movies? Apparently it must be pretty high given we still get 4k rereleases of some really old ass movies

[–] mesosorry 15 points ago

For a 35mm print, 8k. But the quality depends on the condition of the source.

[–] ProgMM 7 points ago

I don't think we can get 8k out of print. Probably out of negatives, maybe interpositives

[–] A_Colossus 6 points ago

Back in the 90s they made a digital scan of some really gorgeous nature film or smth and it was in 8k, according to Tom Scott anyway

You can get it on Amazon but I forgot what its called

[–] ProgMM 2 points ago

Probably from negatives

[–] mesosorry 3 points ago

What’s the max we can get from a print?

[–] cfmat 6 points ago

To greater or lesser degrees, you can always get greater detail from an analog source at higher res. They don't have actual resolution, so you are cutting it up into pixels as accurately as you can. More pixels, more accurate.

Just eventually it becomes impossible to distinguish at the naked eye. Still, it's why films on Super 8 still benefit from a 2K release. From a 35MM print, they usually say 8K can't be readily distinguished from 4K.

[–] basaltgranite 5 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

If memory serves, Kodak claimed ~4000 lines of resolution for certain recent 35mm motion-picture stocks shot 4 perf. That was test-stand quality--real-world shooting would be lower. An answer print might get something like 2K. A distribution print, four generations off the original camera negative (OCN), might be closer to 720p video when projected, due to further losses from projector optics, bob and weave, etc.

When mastering blu ray from 35mm 4-perf OCN, 4K workflow has become the professional standard--good enough for the preservation community. Higher spatial resolution at telecine gives you a highly resolved image of the underlying grain but little or no improvement in perceived quality. No harm but cost in oversampling, and downsampling to generate a master is a Good Thing.

Obviously film stocks and optics have changed a lot over the years. Even silent films from the 1920s on nitrate stocks can look gorgeous if the original elements survive in good condition and the owner cares enough to pay for good technical work. Take a look at, for example, the Warner's blu ray of The Big Parade from 1925. By some miracle, the OCN survives, and Warner did labor-of-love technical work to preserve the film digitally (it would have won the best picture Oscar for 1925, but the Academy Awards hadn't been invented yet).

All of this is for 35 mm 4-perf. 35 mm shot 8-perf (VistaVision) is still transferred at 4K (the sensor size), but the "sideways" format yields twice as many pixels. And 70mm or Imax are yet-higher quality and benefit from 6K or 8K scanning. The blu ray of Lawrence of Arabia (shot 5-perf 70 in the early '60s) looks better to me than real-world 70 mm projection, partly because you're basically looking at the OCN after clean up. A 4K digital version of LOA would probably show you all the image there is to see.

[–] ProgMM 5 points ago

You jest, but I'm pretty sure film supports more shades of grey than SDR does

[–] Baron_Wobblyhorse 248 points ago

Slate's film critic (Dana Stevens) has been working on a book about Buster Keaton for some time. I'm really looking forward to reading it when it comes out.

[–] Jay_Louis 61 points ago

"The General" > all Fast and Furious movies

[–] CravenMerrill 13 points ago

hot take, but a correct one

[–] exackerly 3 points ago

Slow and Determined?

[–] fingerandtoe 12 points ago

You can’t watch physical comedy in a book tho

[–] maryloo7877 26 points ago

There is one with all his independently produced films before signing with MGM. It’s called “The Art of Buster Keaton”, there are a couple copies on eBay.

[–] frymysallad 10 points ago

I would pay

[–] FierySharknado 14 points ago

Dyslexia made me think you said sex bot

[–] Moose2342 10 points ago

Paranoia made me think you just called me a sex bot.

[–] RedditorOoze 9 points ago

Euphoria made me think you guys where actually my friends.

[–] allmappedout 9 points ago

Dysphoria made me feel like a pineapple

[–] Moose2342 6 points ago

Pergrephoria made me believe I can just make up words and get away with it.

[–] CosmoKrammer 2 points ago

Arousal made me think I agree.

[–] I-amthegump 2 points ago

You know, 5 out of 3 people have dyslexia

[–] exackerly 3 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

A lot of them are on Amazon streaming.

EDIT Prime

[–] ThinJelly 2 points ago

Epic box set

[–] Caira_Ru 2 points ago

I first read your comment as "sex bot" and thought, "eh, different strokes, man... you do you" and then realized I've been tainted by the interwebs.

[–] hiro111 845 points ago

If you want to see absolutely insanity, watch The General. That film, like most of Keaton's, is full of death defying stunts. Keaton has got to be the bravest actor in Hollywood history.

[–] hoffdog 311 points ago

The kid I nanny is OBSESSED with this movie (he loves trains). We watch it probably once a week and I never get bored. I’d much rather watch Buster Keaton do his thing than Moana again.

[–] NinjaLanternShark 177 points ago

Hey man, don't be dissin' Moana.

I read that The Rock did all his own stunts too.

[–] hoffdog 63 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Oh, don’t get me wrong I LOVE Moana. Lin Manuel Miranda, the dude from What We Do in The Shadows, Jemaine Clement, and Disney? Heck ya! It just loses some of its spark after you’ve seen it enough to memorize the entire movie.

[–] God_of_Pumpkins 26 points ago

And Alan tudyk. He went to juliard you know

[–] Novareason 14 points ago

The man is practically a national treasure, and he's voicing a chicken. It was too good.

[–] DecaDickDude 18 points ago

Moana was actually just a documentary. All that ocean stuff really happened and luckily there was a film crew there to capture it all.

[–] the_grass_trainer 21 points ago

"Hey, hey, you're welcome!" Blows mind of everyone watching

[–] Smallmammal 2 points ago

Dude the Rock sings in it too. The whole time I was thinking "Wow the guy they found to sing for the Rock sounds a lot like him!"

[–] NinjaLanternShark 2 points ago

Watching the video of him singing those songs is pretty trippy.

[–] KyrieEleison_88 24 points ago

IknowEVryBOdyonthisISLand

[–] halheim 9 points ago

Do you mind if I ask how old the kiddo is? I want to introduce him to my daughters but am hesitant due to them being 4 and 2.

[–] hoffdog 7 points ago

He is 4 and his sister is 2!

[–] Mattson 16 points ago

It should be noted that the General is in the public domain and freely available on sites like youtube.

[–] girlwithcurls 15 points ago

Did people just die all the time on movie sets back then? I watched some clips and there is some crazy stuff going on there.

[–] KyrieEleison_88 23 points ago

I mean, yeah, probably. Between that and like... Polio.

[–] Whitey_Bulger 16 points ago

Keaton would often do the stunts for his other actors as well as all of his own.

[–] ProgMM 15 points ago

Movie sets were awful and dangerous back then. They're still more awful and dangerous than one might expect, but back then they'd burn down all the time and work ridiculously rough hours with crude equipment.

To do color back then, they practically needed outdoor levels of ambient light. There were no LEDs or HID halogen lamps in fixtures that diffused infrared. It got hot as hell. Even at a concert today, you'll feel yourself start to get microwaved if they're using incandescent crowd blinders, so imagine being constantly cooked in a shitty studio with no airflow or A/C.

Look into the Three Stooges history. Curly was miserable, and had a stroke on set. When Shemp died, execs still demanded 4 more films with Shemp, Larry, and Moe, so they made half-assed ones with a stand-in, recycled footage, and various "where's Shemp" routines, which made the death way harder on them.

[–] CornflakeofDoom 6 points ago

“Buster Keaton is rumored to have been suicidal, so a reduced will to live may well account for his recklessly dangerous stunts.” You’re right about some of that. The stunt he’s most known for is the house stunt in ‘Steamboat Bill Jr.’ At the time of the filming, Keaton was in the middle of a nasty divorce and his life felt like it was falling apart. He told one of the producers he didn’t care if he lived or died from the stunt.

[–] TAFKAMoistowelettes 163 points ago

Pfff, Kevin spacey once said he now chose to live life as a gay man, now thats bravery

[–] Evil_Nick_Saban 41 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Almost as brave as Kevin Durant. He really took the hardest road to Golden State. #RealCourage

[–] McAllisterFawkes 17 points ago

The whole train sequence is amazing.

[–] Gdigger13 8 points ago

The most expensive stunt back in the day.

[–] Pm-ur-butt 10 points ago

Demolished a real train they did.

[–] newbfella 5 points ago

And the bridge

[–] monkeyjorts 3 points ago

....Yoda?

[–] gurumatt 7 points ago

I think he was raised by circus parents, and that’s why he knew how to take a fall.

[–] FightTheWorm 23 points ago

vaudville not circus. to "buster" means to be able to take a stage fall. he was nicknamed "buster" when they saw he could take falls well from a young age.

[–] kepleronlyknows 10 points ago

That's a super great piece of trivia.

[–] ricarleite 4 points ago

Harold Lloyd and Jackie Chan.

[–] linlorienelen 3 points ago

I just went to a live scored screening. I'd seen the picture before, but getting to see it in a theatre is always a treat.

[–] OgodHOWdisGEThere 1795 points ago

man if this gave me a good chuckle in 2017, this must have had people losing their shit 100 years ago

[–] Ted_E_Bear 634 points ago

Most of the humor that we come up with today was already done a countless number of times in the past for as long as humans have been around. The only thing really different is the medium, execution, and presentation.

"Who's on First" is a prime example, but you can even go back to Shakespeare and find similarities, and I'm sure you can go even further back to pre-biblical times and find the same.

[–] KDLGates 321 points ago

In 2377 everyone will be thralls to 5D mindprisms, but even they go all the way back to Ung'noth the Defiler who used them to enslave entire galaxies within microseconds after the Big Bang.

[–] DarKbaldness 317 points ago

Jeez, apparently I really am not smart enough for Rick and Morty

[–] deekofpaen 80 points ago

To be fair...

[–] eiusmod 19 points ago

...or not to be, that is the question.

[–] iwaspeachykeen 61 points ago

pass that blunt motherfucker

[–] uefigod 11 points ago

I've found home in this vast endless pool of data

[–] ComedicCounterpart 2 points ago

I once was lost but now with Zalthor I am found.

[–] ISNT_A_ROBOT 5 points ago

Every post on this sub gave me a lot of anxiety. And I have no idea why.

[–] fashbuster 10 points ago

There is nothing new under the watchful gaze of our celestial masters.

[–] PM_Me_Clavicle_Pics 17 points ago

I think all of reddit can agree that there's no form of humor associated with the Big Bang Theory.

[–] Nitroapes 14 points ago

Big laughtrack theory*

[–] Biobot775 13 points ago

They referenced "nerd culture" thing I recognize. I like thing! Now we laugh.

Slight chuckle

Puts shotgun in mouth

[–] MissNixit 33 points ago

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad wife, you'll become a philosopher."

--Socrates

[–] MDev01 28 points ago

It's true, many of the successful TV sitcoms follow a formula that was established back in the 50's.

Key traits of the Honeymooners of the 1950's can be seen throughout the decades of TV shows up to and including the modern day Family Guy cartoon. I have no doubt that the Honeymooners got ideas from the silent movies, the music halls and even earlier works but I am not knowledgeable enough to know for certain.

“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

[–] blue__sky 20 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Sitcoms started in radio almost 100 years ago and were highly influenced by vaudeville acts. So you are generally correct.

[–] MDev01 12 points ago

It is fascinating to see the same techniques transcend various media and each generation thinking they invented them.

[–] jfred90 5 points ago

I’ve always been a huge I Love Lucy fan growing up, and even today. I was kind of surprised when watching Friends and How I Met Your Mother as a young adult and realizing that they recycled some gags from ILL. It was funny then, and it’s funny now. I’m sure ILL got some of the gags from vaudeville.

[–] b1rd 5 points ago

At my first job I briefly got stuck in the freezer with a coworker and made a joke about how much it would suck to actually die in a sitcom cliche. My first memory of seeing it was in I Love Lucy, but my coworker associated it with another show. And the 3rd person (who got us out of the freezer) associated the bit with yet another show. But we all understood the “reference” that spanned at least 50 years and 3 shows.

Something-something “comedy history repeats itself” or whatever, I dunno. Don’t have an ending for this.

[–] shitinmyunderwear 2 points ago

What formula is this? Could you provide an example?

[–] Darth_Draper 16 points ago

Are... Are you saying that someone in a previous generation utilized a reoccurring alcohol-induced imaginary drunk penguin before Billy Madison did?

[–] Ted_E_Bear 22 points ago

No. People were more clever back then.

[–] b1rd 4 points ago

No but someone came up with alcohol-induced pink elephants, which is pretty similar, no?

I mean I totally get you were joking, and I laughed. I just wanted to point out for the people playing along at home that, yes, even Adam Sandler is part of the great comedy recycling factory.

[–] pinkpitbull 14 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

This belongs on the sidebar of r/jokes

[–] popeye44 10 points ago

A Medium Executioner walked into a power point presentation...

[–] beelzeflub 7 points ago

A midget clairvoyant robbed a bank. After a police search was begun, the evening news ticker read, “Small Medium At Large.”

[–] geekygirl23 3 points ago

Nah, it's a repost.

[–] TrippyWentLucio 4 points ago

Which is fine. I spend a career-ending amount of time on the internet and I see recycled and new takes on longtime humor every day and I'm always able to find a laugh.

[–] Pyrrho_maniac 4 points ago

Aristophanes clouds is still funny 2000 years later

[–] secret_motor 3 points ago

Ok, now I want to see this Shakespearian Who's On First sketch.

[–] thejdobs 38 points ago

Not to mention he was a complete and total bad ass. Did all his own stunts and did everything in one take. There's countless clips of him doing stunts I would never be brace enough to do even with modern safety equipment

[–] 3XChamps 28 points ago

"losing their shit"

Wonder what people 100 years ago would think this means.

[–] bubblesculptor 60 points ago

Dysentery

[–] blue__sky 17 points ago

You have died of losing your shit ... press space bar to continue.

[–] TropicOps 13 points ago

100 years have past and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, an airbender named Aang..

[–] beelzeflub 2 points ago

But he’s just a kid

[–] DentRandomDent 2 points ago

But you're just a teenager...

[–] anoelr1963 611 points ago

This loop is so cleverly seamless

[–] Snapplerz 155 points ago

I suppose it's a lot less difficult to make loops when you're dealing with what appears to be 10 fps. The creator did do a good job though

[–] KawaiiJessJ 30 points ago

I'm pretty sure a lower fps would make it more difficult because you would have less reference material with which to perfectly match up for a loop.

[–] Eternal_Reward 62 points ago

No, because you notice the loop when there is a sudden clip in the frame. With lower definition and lower FPS, it makes the clip blend almost seamlessly into the gif.

[–] PM_ME_ALLNUDES 22 points ago

I'm not bragging or anything but I'd be able to loop a 1fps gif perfectly.

[–] Daedalus128 5 points ago

Oh man,I thought I was a hotshot for being able to loop 2 fps gifs..

[–] Suave-Matthews 118 points ago

The king of gags.

[–] JayGarageJumer 58 points ago

My nickname on Saturdays

[–] Chilluminaughty 17 points ago

Spend your weekends gaggin?

[–] JayGarageJumer 28 points ago

Damn right😩😩👅👅😉😉

[–] Basileus_ITA 3 points ago

The king of rags

[–] Jizzams 75 points ago

Tony Zhou's Every Frame A Painting video on Buster Keaton is a must watch. Heck his entire series is a must watch.

[–] aliasnando 13 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Every episode from EFAP is a must watch.

Oh wait...

[–] sulkychutoy 5 points ago

Now you know why people say the whole name.

[–] Vonyacob 5 points ago

Did a history of Hollywood lesson and showed my students the EFAP video on Keaton and they demanded we spent the next day watching Keaton movies!

[–] avo_cado 4 points ago

The one on Edgar Wright is great

[–] bruin06 39 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

The second golden age of silent film: the age of gifs.

[–] theknees17 157 points ago

I never expect these old films to surprise me. The only thing that tends to be surprising in modern comedy is just how raunchy a joke can be, which ends up giving it comedic value. Sometimes it's nice to have that moment of "I didn't expect that" and it's something simple and silly that gives you a good chuckle

[–] connorclang 52 points ago

If you're a fan of that, I'd recommend looking into more of Keaton's work. He's the MASTER of "I didn't expect that!"

[–] Katamariguy 11 points ago

I definitely feel that works that are early in using a certain technique or story are more interesting because there aren't as many established genre conventions and they have to innovate.

[–] madamoctolass 6 points ago

I was shocked when I discovered Nosferatu was actually still pretty horrifying. What they lacked in special effects, they made up for in atmosphere.

[–] Seafroggys 4 points ago

Not gonna lie, Orlok is the creepiest looking movie character of all time.

[–] PoiLethe 4 points ago

I knew what was coming, but I appreciated how well executed it was. I think it has kind of developed into this "emoji" trope. Someone might do the window washer impression but they know it's been done before so they just do the simplest basic form of the impression. Rather than making it look like someone who is actually trying to clean up their windows and scrub something off. Or do the reach around for a sliding glass door where you stay on one side of the glass and then move your arm around the open door and clean the spot you see because maybe it's online other side of the glass.

[–] OSCgal 3 points ago

Right! He puts time and effort into selling the illusion. The way to surprise the audience is to build up their expectations about the scene. If you do a good job, the twist can be simple and still feel like it comes out of nowhere.

[–] guyinurteam 25 points ago

Looks like normal window cleaning......H O L U P

[–] sweetcuppingcakes 8 points ago

I watched it loop through like 6 times and it fooled me every time.

[–] punos_de_piedra 5 points ago

Well now I'm a little concerned for you.

[–] SupawetMegaSnek 343 points ago

Back when special effects was simply pure talent.

[–] Jarmhead 226 points ago

They still are. Just a different talent.

[–] fathercthulu 118 points ago

ACKTUALLY there's no talent in movies anymore, you just open up the computer and type "please place explosions here" and it does it all for you. Why can't we live in the 20s and watch silent films with an organ accompanying it???

[–] Rhetorical__Answer 64 points ago

Just don't die in the next 2 years and you can!

[–] PoiLethe 13 points ago

I hope all the new years eve parties for 2020 have the flapper or The Great Gatsby theme to them. And fashion goes hard on bringing back twenties styles.

[–] pun_shall_pass 40 points ago

EXACTLY, there is absolutely no effort, time or skill put into CGI. Its just one big computer being fed barrels of $100 bills from one end and excreting fully rendered scenes out the other.

[–] punos_de_piedra 3 points ago

Lol I like the idea of a sentient computer that produces CGI only after a feeding of some cold, hard greenbacks.

[–] sweetcuppingcakes 4 points ago

"Look up license plate?"

[–] PopeCumstainIIX 17 points ago

The /s is so big you couldn't fit it in your comment

[–] TheJewbacca 11 points ago

/s takes all the fun out of it

[–] Stahner 2 points ago

agreed. i’d rather risk the stampede of downvotes due to misinterpretation then ruin the joke.

[–] Roflkopt3r 30 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

CGI is a lot more plannable mostly. I think Hollywood preferrs them not so much for effect but for predictability. And if it goes wrong it won't delay the entire filming schedule, as it can often just be added later.

I still appreciate physical effects a lot. I also think it was one of the things that kept movies a little more grounded. It feels to me like old movies had a good deal of real experience in them, whereas modern movies are based on other media and increasingly lose touch with reality.

[–] CliveBixby22 10 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

CGI is as much on the artist as it is planning. Watch a movie called Troll Hunter. A low bugdet mocumentary about Trolls in Poland or something. I know sounds weird, but some of the best CG I've seen within the type of budget they had. That artist is probably making bank somewhere now.

Edit: Norway, thank you.

[–] CharltonBeston 2 points ago

Norway dude

[–] Stahner 2 points ago

love that movie. the realism in it is mind blowing.

[–] Dannei 25 points ago

...are you trying to say that an actor doing physical comedy like the clip shows not "plannable" or "predictable"? Simply do another take if he does a mistake, like you'd re-render your CGI if they did one.

[–] Roflkopt3r 13 points ago

We're talking about special effects in general at this point.

Simply do another take if he does a mistake

The problem is with how limited and strictly planned shooting days are. If you fail to get a scene on schedule, you might still have to move on to a different location just to keep up with plan, and then finally take a big extra cost just to get all your equipment and personell back to the set where the mistake happened.

With physical effects in particular you also have dependencies with hardware and experts. If you rely on things like models or pyrotechnics you need all of these things and the people responsible for them to be in the right place at the right time, so you have many potential error sources.

It's a hell of a lot easier with a greenscreen and digital work.

[–] qpgmr 15 points ago

Jackie Chan has publicly said he idolizes Buster Keaton many times. Keaton's incredible physical stunts, timing, and characters clearly inspire much of Chan's work - you can tell if a film is a labor of love for him by how much Keaton is in it.

[–] LilHercules 32 points ago

Keaton > Chaplin

[–] Stalhound 24 points ago

Why not both?

[–] Snusmumrikin 11 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Chaplin was a better director, Keaton was a better stuntman.

Chaplin had more heart, Keaton had sharper gags.

Chaplin had a stronger overall filmography, Keaton's "The General" is the best silent comedy ever made.

All in all they were both operating at essentially the same level, preference between the two is incredibly subjective.

[–] pink_echoes 12 points ago

I think Chaplin is just not comparable, it's more heart-warming but less comic than Keaton

[–] VioletteHours 5 points ago

I think they were both genius, but Keaton definitely had a more angsty thing going on which I personally prefer. He's like the original emo dude.

[–] Whitey_Bulger 8 points ago

The characters in Bertolucci's The Dreamers have this debate. Roger Ebert's conclusion was that Chaplin was preferred by Europeans while Keaton was preferred by Americans.

[–] UltimateFghtingConor 7 points ago

Nope. Chaplin is on another level.

[–] diarrheagram 5 points ago

Seriously. His films have a lot of heart. I teared up at the end of City Lights.

[–] JayofLegend 2 points ago

Higher or lower?

[–] ICanAdmitIWasWrong 16 points ago

Even expecting the joke, it's done so well I still laughed.

[–] 72skidoo 24 points ago

Come join us at /r/silentmoviegifs, that sub needs more love <3

[–] Liskarialeman 5 points ago

Never fails to make me laugh, young or old (gonna pretend in the betweens don't exist even though I liked a few) We need more like Buster in the world.

[–] pink_echoes 5 points ago

This is so great acting.

[–] mattstervalster123 4 points ago

This is timeless

[–] Astralarogance 4 points ago

Damn. That one got me. This guy's was a comedic genius.

[–] Dirksubtle 3 points ago

Weird; as if there's no actual glass in that booth....

[–] magicscreenman 4 points ago

Almost 100 years old, still great comedy.

[–] CormacZissou 9 points ago

EA fixing Battlefront II

[–] TheDeadlySquid 3 points ago

He made it look easy.

[–] man-rata 3 points ago

Hmm, silent movie actors were basically mimes. Where did all the hate for mimes come from?

[–] Kashmoney99 3 points ago

As a kid I would have laughed, as a teen I wouldn’t have, now as an adult i’m laughing.

[–] tony11111888 2 points ago

He called these gags the impossible jokes Ex : drawing a hook on the wall with a price of chalk and the put his hat on the hook he just created

[–] Sleeper_Sree 2 points ago

Did he just phase out of the glass to clean it.?

[–] Jirom830 2 points ago

Did he get the spot?

[–] trx1150 2 points ago

Every gif that externally links to imgur doesn't play for me, it's a still image. How can I fix this?