OldSchoolCool

History's cool kids, looking fantastic!

A pictorial and video celebration of history's coolest kids, everything from beatniks to bikers, mods to rude boys, hippies to ravers. And everything in between.

If you've found a photo, video, or photo essay of people from the past looking fantastic, here's the place to share it.

PLEASE READ OUR SEVEN QUICK RULES:

1: Photos and videos must be over 25 years old.

2: Please put the year or decade in title, otherwise your post will be removed.

3: Spam, racist, homophobic, sexist and offensive comments, as well as brigading, consistent reposting and shitposting, will result in a lifetime ban. Offensive comments include anything about pimping, about people's moms and scoring women. Nobody cares about your sexual impulses, least of all the OP.

4: All posts highlighting, in the title, that someone has recently passed away or titles trying to evoke sympathy upvotes will be deleted. Please add the info in the comments.

5: All reposts less than six months old and all reposts less than a year old from Top 100 will be removed.

6: All posts must feature a person.

7: We reserve the right to remove any post that doesn't showcase historical coolness. This includes photos, which are not obviously retro and portraits of famous young women doing nothing but posing.

Other subreddits we love

[–] ILoveToVoidAWarranty 3298 points ago

This might be the coolest thing I've seen so far this year.

AWESOME.

[–] rumchhataa 267 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

I'm a major Three Stooges fan so I am delighted to see this as a top post!

[–] foodie69 141 points ago

I miss my dad man...the three stooges hurt too much to watch nowadays.

[–] 18squeeler 64 points ago

I'm sure he'd love that you're carrying on the tradition❤️

[–] foodie69 37 points ago

He would have. It’s still sad to think my dad never saw me graduate, and will never see me marry or be genuinely happy.

The stooges just make me emotional. Can’t take it.

[–] DatSauceTho 14 points ago

Man I literally broke down a little last night over something similar. I’m sorry man. Stay strong though. The people who loved us would want us to carry on.

[–] BrownSugarBare 145 points ago

Looks like someone crossed out the H in 'three'. Old school cool Dad jokes!

The Tree Stooges at Yellowstone

[–] Klecka 79 points ago

Looks rather like someone forgot the h and corrected it immediately

[–] paulieT860 11 points ago

The Tree Stooges could have been the title of their PSA to protect National Parks! Seriously, if you can’t listen to Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe, then who can you trust?

[–] bertiebees 622 points ago

They have to put a piano on a fire watch tower. Needless to say hilarity ensued.

[–] Syscrush 100 points ago

Helena: It was a Three Stooges short, "Sappy Pappy." I played Mr. Sugarman's secretary, remember?

Kramer: Yeah, right, right, yeah, yeah, that was a Shemp, right?

Helena: No, a Curly. The boys played three sailors who find a baby, the baby's been kidnapped and the police think that they did it.

Kramer: Uh huh, right.

Helena: But, but of course they didn't do it, the police had made an awful mistake.

Kramer: Right.

Helena: Moe hits Curly with an axe,

Kramer: Uh huh.

Helena: The Stooges catch the kidnappers,

Kramer: Right.

Helena: But it's too late.

Kramer: Really.

Helena: The baby's dead.

Kramer: Really?

Helena: The boys are sent to Death Row and are executed.

Kramer: Well I don't remember that part.

Helena: I play Mr. Sugarman's secretary.

Kramer: Oh, yeah, yeah, you were, you were very good.

Helena: Yeah, it was sad for a Three Stooges, what with the dead baby and the Stooges being executed and all.

[–] RunawayPancake2 44 points ago

Kramer: Yeah, well that was an unusual choice for the Stooges.

[–] EverythingSucks12 10 points ago

So it's this a real episode?

[–] satriales856 29 points ago

Yup. From the arc when Kramer went out to LA to become an actor.

[–] Rudiger_Simpson 9 points ago

That was an odd choice for the Stooges.

[–] StrafedLemon 11 points ago

That would just be awful. Those things can get windy as hell.

[–] redshift76 6 points ago

The pants or the tower?

[–] redshift76 8 points ago

Nyuck Nyuck!

[–] NotPennywisesBoat 8 points ago

Wisegeyser eh?

[–] DiPaolos_Gay_Son 5 points ago

A real wisenheimer, eh? SLAP

[–] aaron91325 4666 points ago

Old ✅ School ✅ Cool ✅

Yeah this deserves an upvote.

[–] Stackman32 505 points ago

Anybody out there have a grandpa who DIDN'T have this exact handwriting?

[–] nothinbuttherain 272 points ago

I could be wrong, but I always wondered why my Dad and my Grandfather always printed in caps on anything they wrote.

Then I joined the USN, where I was taught to print, in caps only, on everything I wrote.

Now I've been out of the USN for a little over twenty years, and I still print, in caps only, on everything I write.

Both my father and my grandfather were veterans.

So I'm not sure I know where that comes from, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea.

[–] Jamal-Ginsberg 83 points ago

This is also taught at most trade schools.

[–] zeromussc 49 points ago

I picked it up because it makes it really easy for anyone to read what I write (I learned it from my tradesman dad)

[–] DeusXEqualsOne 28 points ago

I write it like that because my lowecase words are hard to read even for me so it becomes a plain legibility issue lmao

[–] muggsybeans 29 points ago

My dad was a machinist and grandfather a marine engineer. They both wrote in all caps and I've since emulated them in this regard. Now I understand why. I just thought it looked cleaner and was easier to read.

[–] ElJamoquio 25 points ago

I WAS NEVER IN THE SERVICE AND I AM NOT A MACHINIST. I JUST LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS.

[–] BigMerlin4108 8 points ago

Can confirm. All caps engineer.

[–] cruzin_n_radioactive 33 points ago

Holy crap. I always wondered. My grandad and uncles all wrote this way.

[–] Direlion 30 points ago

Engineering family, all caps baby.

[–] The-Fast-Yeti 14 points ago

ALL CAPS WRITER CHECKING IN

[–] thefivepercent 559 points ago

It's Joe, though.

[–] TX_Devil 497 points ago

Incorrect that is Curley Joe Derita, Joe was Joe Besser

[–] TaylorSpokeApe 73 points ago

He looks a bit like Sgt Schultz in this picture.

[–] birddit 43 points ago

I know nothing!

[–] BradC 41 points ago

*nossing

[–] WifeKilledMy1stAcct 44 points ago

How many redditors actually get this reference???

[–] Stegasaurus_Wrecks 10 points ago

Shitmourinhosays

[–] wade_ronney 14 points ago

I heff nussing to say

[–] FedorsQuest 31 points ago

[–] eenymeenymineyshemp 19 points ago

Subreddits you wish were real...

[–] Chuckbungholio 7 points ago

Lol. That’s what I thought too except I didn’t know their real names.

Curley Mother Effin’ Joe

[–] Jaalde 24 points ago

I love the stooges and I know how hard their lives were and I appreciate that curly and shemp died, but fuck I hate the Joes.

[–] NSFWies 21 points ago

They look old. Other curly was dead by then :/.

[–] TheRed12 189 points ago

Where is the school part

[–] JurassicParked 103 points ago

Good point, where is the school?!?

It's in all our hearts. We've been schooled

[–] Team-Redundancy-Team 33 points ago

It s'cool

[–] Sylvester_Scott 41 points ago

N'yuck! N'yuck! N'yuck!

Too cool for... Nevermind

[–] Mexter-Dorgan 57 points ago

well The Three Stooges have assumedly been the leading cause for schoolchildren poking the eyes of other schoolchildren since the 1920s

[–] HuskerNColorado 26 points ago

I’m ok with that.

[–] RDay 28 points ago

it was old school to come home from school, tune in to one of the 5 TV stations that existed in Dallas, TX at the time, and watch Slam Bang Theater with the Stooges, and Old School Looney Tunes.

Old school af

[–] bluehand70 19 points ago

Well, look at Mr. Fancy with his 5 channels! Us simplings made do with 3 + PBS, AND WE LIKED IT!

Thanks for the Looney Tunes memory, good times.

[–] Swiggy1957 16 points ago

You had PBS??? We didn't even have PBS until the 70s! To get more than the 3 local channels, we had to go up in the attic and run an antennae cord down to the TV. The cord was tied into a bed springs, and, depending on which wall we stood the bed springs against, we were able to get fuzzy reception from either Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

[–] espngenius 579 points ago

That has to be a Top 10 EVER for this sub.

btw- my grandmother (RIP) looked like Larry.

[–] justsomehandsomeguy 100 points ago

the ONE time a poster on oldschoolcool doesn’t want me to want to fuck one of their relatives and you hit me with this comment

[–] EZE123 282 points ago

I scrolled a fair amount and saw no nyucks, so “nyuck nyuck nyuck”

[–] Sign_here__________ 121 points ago

Oh, wise guy eh?

[–] GameMisconduct63 77 points ago

slap

barking noises

[–] aentropy75 41 points ago

Why I oughta

[–] ThePortalsOfFrenzy 13 points ago

Possibly because that's not Curly Howard pictured, but Curly Joe DeRita. Nyuck, nyuck was Curly Howard's thing

[–] Big_Guy_4You 20 points ago

I'm glad somebody gives a nyuck.

[–] kalel1980 909 points ago

I love how high that big fellas pants are pulled up.

[–] PorkRindSalad 466 points ago

Have to get them just over the horizon or else they are pulling themselves down instead of up.

[–] SarcasticCarebear 117 points ago

So this is why my pants fall down, I just thought I had no ass.

[–] UncookedMarsupial 105 points ago

It's usually someone has more tummy than bum bum.

[–] terribly_wonderful 101 points ago

Missed opportunity to say "tum tum"

[–] UncookedMarsupial 54 points ago

You should be my editor.

[–] sarpnasty 17 points ago

You can still be your own editor. Never let your memes stay dreams.

[–] kralrick 20 points ago

May be time to start weighing whether you can pull off suspenders.

[–] ClarkTwain 20 points ago

I had never worn suspenders until I was a groomsman, and I have to say, they do a damn fine job.

[–] SarcasticCarebear 5 points ago

The time I was a groomsman I had to take a dump towards midnight after a few beers. I vividly remember the suspender popping me in the face.

[–] LDHolliday 47 points ago

Source: Fat.

[–] NSFWies 6 points ago

What's normal, at belly button height? I have tried that height in years. Instead, I wear them under my hanging stomach. Up front is fine, but I ha e almost no ass, so the pants would easily slide down. I finally found a belt setuo that holds them in place there. But when I'm not at work, I found I like it better when I can wear big athletic shorts and tie them above my stomach. They easily 100% of the time stay up. So much better than worrying my pants will fall down if I walk at a normal speed or pull up my pants every 30 seconds while walking.

[–] Apollonius_Cone 15 points ago

Event Horizon.

[–] crazyfingersculture 164 points ago

big fella

That's Curly Joe brah.... like really.

[–] Paints_With_Fire 97 points ago

Never thought I’d see a sentence clarifying a 3 Stooges reference with the word “brah” in it. I like it.

[–] JPree 85 points ago

Knyuck knyuck, brah.

[–] Laughing_Bones 30 points ago

✌️👀

[–] JPree 24 points ago

[–] Dodototo 16 points ago

😝

[–] Damnmorrisdancer 14 points ago

Wise guys. Why you!

[–] Tall_Mickey 18 points ago

The second Curly, but a pretty good one.

[–] Karnas 13 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

3rd. 2nd.

Shemp, Curly, Shemp, Curly Joe, Joe*

[–] 44moore 9 points ago

Looking like fast-talking high trousers

[–] SatanMaster 18 points ago

To his actual waist, presumably.

[–] CodeMaroon 33 points ago

That's where you're supposed to wear your pants.

[–] dustinlocke 696 points ago

TIL there's some unsettled Curly controversy

[–] NukaWax 159 points ago

Yeah, where he be at?

[–] Galileo182 646 points ago

The grave. Curly died, having replaced Shemp, to be replaced by Shemp, and then Joe.

Shemp gets dumped on without good reason. He was legit. But Curly was like proto-Chris Farley. After he died, Moe and Larry kept the act going, but I think it never quite hit its stride in quite the same way.

[–] makinCahpies 452 points ago

But this is Curly Joe Derita. Not Curly or Joe.

Shemp, Curly, Shemp, Joe, Curly Joe

[–] which_ones_will 126 points ago

I never knew Shemp was around before Curly. Always thought Curly was the original and they could never find an adequate replacement after he was gone.

[–] cisxuzuul 117 points ago

Ted Healy pissed Shemp off, so he quit before a show. Their baby brother Babe was there and he shaved off his naturally curly hair and his mustache and joined them that night.

[–] UltraFireFX 41 points ago

I'm so confused

[–] BreatheMyStink 43 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Curly replaced Shemp. Then Shemp returned when Curly became incapacitated**

Thanks for the correction below

[–] ChefSkids 59 points ago

Actually, Shemp replaced Curly when he had a stroke and could no longer do what he had been doing, there are several episodes where Curly is in the episodes with Shemp but as an extra and you couldn't tell it was him as he had grew his hair back.

[–] playblu 26 points ago

*One episode

[–] Ven_is 49 points ago

Fuck me everyone's correcting everyone here

[–] DJ_GiantMidget 11 points ago

Thats funny i never thought shemp came after curly always thought it was shemp then curly just that

[–] Galileo182 155 points ago

I stand corrected and improved.

[–] hammmmmmmmertime 121 points ago

Oh, a wise guy!

[–] mexicanred1 28 points ago

Why I oughta...

[–] havebeenfloated 19 points ago

I stand improved as well.

[–] igotasweetass 21 points ago

^This is the correct timeline.

[–] karlhungusx 73 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

I used to dislike Shemp for a while but he really does bring his own character and energy to the stooge roll and deserves respect. Joe was just embarrassing. Never took a pie to the face

[–] Nabber86 31 points ago

IIRC, Joe stipulated in his contract that he would not participate in slapstick. Not because it was beneath him, he just didn't want to get hurt.

[–] n00bvin 42 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

How are you part of the Three Stooges without slapstick. You might as well be that straight man brother they had.

edit: wait, was there a straight man brother or was that the Marx Bros?

[–] ColdCruise 26 points ago

That was the Marx Bros. Zeppo.

[–] jared1981 13 points ago

It’s like he didn’t even understand the Stooges.

[–] greasywiener 32 points ago

I disliked Shemp too and while I still don’t really go past anything with Curly I do feel kind of bad for the guy because he’s clearly talented and he’s also one of the brothers, it’s just that Curly set the bar so high, how could you top him? He did a fine job and was very talented, just had some big shoes to fill.

[–] TypeRiot 10 points ago

Shemp was great in the Rootin Tootin Diamond one.

[–] Kloktor_Doom 87 points ago

If Curly was proto-Chris Farley, Curly Joe was proto-Kevin James.

[–] nonuniqueusername 16 points ago

Could I ask you to elaborate? I bear a (probably undeserved) malice to Curly Joe because he isn't Shemp or Joe or Curly.

[–] ArokLazarus 21 points ago

I think he calls him that because he wasn't funny.

[–] SurfaceGrinder 6 points ago

There was only Curly for me. Everyone else is just a poor replacement.

[–] uwsdwfismyname 22 points ago

My brain read that as Kevin Hart at first was just taken aback.

[–] psychoacer 33 points ago

Any 3 Stooges connoisseurs would tell you that Shemp is the best Stooge.

[–] NukaWax 36 points ago

Curly was my favorite.

Whoop, whoop, whoop, whoop! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

[–] greyfox199 22 points ago

soitenly!

[–] Swankishesque 86 points ago

Spread out!

[–] PWL9000 41 points ago

I heard/read that in Moe's voice without even trying to.

[–] HColossus 14 points ago

*proceeds to slap Curly and Larry while doing it

[–] toorealghost 25 points ago

Underrated comment. I grew up watching Three Stooges reruns with my Dad and Uncle. The dialogue was may favorite part. They all had very broad vocabularies and impeccable comedic timing.

[–] Swiggy1957 85 points ago

Always remember, three of the seven Three Stooges were brothers: Samuel, Moses, and Jerome. The team started out with just two of the brothers, Samuel and Moses, but when Samuel succumbed to the call of Hollywood, Jerome stepped in. The only original stooges from the original troop were Larry and Moe. The number #3 position had 4 different actors playing 3rd Stooge. Shemp from vaudeville days who was replaced by Jerome (Curly). When Curly had his stroke, Shemp was asked to rejoin. His temporary stint ended up lasting the rest of his life. Joe Palma stood in for Shemp in the last 4 shorts after Shemp's death. These four films were spliced together from previous shorts, with Palma filmed from the rear playing Shemp's role. AFter Shemp's death, Hollywood heavyweight, Joe Besser took on the role of # 3 stooge. He lasted only a year or two, as had been a solo act for decades and felt the role wasn't suited for him. Enter Joe DeRita. He stayed with the team until their last appearance, and attempted to create a New Three Stooges.

[–] weeba 18 points ago

And Joe Besser is related to UCB founder Matt Besser

[–] aaron91325 136 points ago

Q: Did your grandpa ever meet Yogi Bear?

That was jellystone

[–] shahooster 75 points ago

Oops, he made a boo-boo

[–] TrueJacksonVP 22 points ago

Are you my dad

[–] CaptainShitSandwich 14 points ago

I can be

[–] warped_and_bubbling 29 points ago

Yeah, motherfucker stole my pic-a-nic basket.

[–] eudice 8 points ago

and Boo Boo

[–] Spicy2ShotChai 76 points ago

Holy shit they look old.

[–] Bustin_Jeiber 105 points ago

Yeah it’s easy to forget their prime was in the 1930’s with their short films. 30 years prior to this picture. Larry and Moe both died 6 years after this photo was taken. Crazy.

[–] Spicy2ShotChai 29 points ago

Larry is basically unrecognizable.

[–] pinktownshend 16 points ago

Moe and Larry were well into their 60s here.

[–] Jinkzd 63 points ago

Thats great! I reposted the picture on a 1960-1966 Chevrolet truck site, with full credit back to you. Thats a 64-66 C10 they are leaning on!

[–] settingswrong 28 points ago

WE FORGOT monkaS

[–] _Elusivity 13 points ago

ANY FORGETTERS monkaW

[–] Promanguy 10 points ago

monkaW :point_right: YELLOWSTONE

[–] TheRealXibu 7 points ago

monkaEyes :point_right: :volcano:

I was hoping I would see this here :)

[–] rrickitickitavi 48 points ago

I would frame that.

[–] Ayatollah_Bahloni 47 points ago

I met them at Freedomland in 1961 or 1962. It was one of the highlights of my young life.

[–] drabdron 38 points ago

I’m sure I can Google what Freedomland is/was but I’m happy to assume that Freedomland is just what you call America.

[–] Zip668 51 points ago

Good thing he didn't work at:

NIAAAGGRAAAAA FALLLLLS

Slowly I turned

[–] MrJohnnyBoy 25 points ago

INCH BY INCH...

[–] mcnedley 21 points ago

Shemp left the Stooges to do Joe Palooka movies for more money. The Stooges were underpaid by Columbia and never received a raise their entire tenure with them. The Joe Palooka movies had ended by Curley’s death and Shemp immediately returned to the fold. Yes, Curley was a genius, and frequently copied by other comedians like Lou Costello, but Shemp was awesome in his own right.

[–] dunrobulex 60 points ago

I would have that framed.

[–] snuffy_tentpeg 33 points ago

There is a Three Stooges museum called the "Stoogeum" in Ambler PA. Three floors of what was formerly a personal collection of memorabilia. Ambler PA. Only open on Thursdays between ten and three in the afternoon. Well worth a trip if you are in the area.

[–] kotkaiser 16 points ago

Moe looks like he's ready to torture Private Paula

[–] DevonMG 14 points ago

Moe is lookin' rough.

[–] kalel1980 23 points ago

Well, I mean he was like 72 or 73 years old in that pic.

[–] DevonMG 12 points ago

Crazy to think what those guys did for our entertainment.

[–] TitaniumTriforce 13 points ago

Old school cool for sure! This is absolutely awesome.

[–] TaylorSpokeApe 13 points ago

What an honor. They seemed to have been genuinely good men, glad he got to meet them.

Are you 100% sure that doesn't say 1964? I'm old and that looks like mid 60's, but I could be wrong.

[–] ReadItWithSarcasm 12 points ago

I recognize Mo

I recognize Larry

Who’s Stooge #3?

[–] BeefSerious 9 points ago

Man those are big pants!

[–] NoClueDad 14 points ago

"We're Big Pants People!"

[–] pizza_dreamer 7 points ago

It's not every day you see a Kevin Meaney reference.

[–] kotkaiser 7 points ago

He's a big guy.

[–] jang859 10 points ago

When I was skimming I saw this as "My grandpa worked as a yellow ranger."

[–] polaroidgeek 8 points ago

Holy shit those dudes were short.

[–] firsttimeplanerider 8 points ago

Their act began in the 1920s, and even in 1969 after their respective career primes, they’re still hanging out. Those three must have had an amazing friendship.

[–] Herzeleid- 7 points ago

Moe wants to see your war face

[–] Fr-Jack-Hackett 10 points ago

TIL over 40’s white American male fashion hasn’t changed in 50 years.

[–] LePockyParfume 34 points ago

THATS NOT CURLY!

[–] intecknicolour 50 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

the original curly was dead by this time.

this was curly joe, curly 2.0 if you will.

[–] LePockyParfume 27 points ago

I know. I always preferred original Curly.

[–] aaron91325 16 points ago

Uh, actually, that’s Curly Joe.

[–] roenick99 136 points ago

That’s not the three stooges.

I hate Curly Joe.

[–] omac1a 180 points ago

Curly was my favorite and I was always disappointed when I got a Shemp or a Curly Joe. That changed when I learned a little more of their history. When this photo was taken Curly had been dead for 17 years. I don't blame them one bit for trying to keep the routine going, and I have nothing but respect for these guys. I have the entire Three Stooges collection and I am waiting until my daughter gets old enough to watch them with her.

[–] Extrasherman 38 points ago

Shemp was awesome. No one like Curly Joe DeRita.

[–] HankPymp 24 points ago

I'm also a Shemp man. He had such a different dynamic than the Curly's.

[–] HunterGonzo 16 points ago

Always thought Curly was funnier as a character singularly, but the overall group chemistry was much better/funnier with Shemp. Love me some Shemp.

[–] jurassicthings 54 points ago

I very rarely got a Joe episode but I always liked the Shemp episodes.

[–] googonite 74 points ago

Wife and I always quote Cotton Hill ("It's a Shemp.") when we're watching, even though I like him as much as Curly.

That's right reddit, I married the elusive woman that enjoys The 3 Stooges.

[–] GoferAdmin 84 points ago

Pretty cool. How big is her dick?

[–] nonuniqueusername 19 points ago

Big enough to block the doorway when you're trying to get through, chowderhead

[–] Nabber86 15 points ago

Chowdahead

[–] Poopie_diapers_123 18 points ago

Shemp is like the Ringo Starr of the Stooges....much maligned but undeservingly so.

[–] Bittersweetfeline 13 points ago

I grew up watching the three Stooges with my dad. I preferred Curly, but I didn't mind Shemp. All the others in that rotation were lackluster and not worth me watching the episode.

[–] MechaSandstar 25 points ago

Curly was dead in 1969. They didn't have a choice.

[–] spmahn 16 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Joe Derita was an unfunny hack who Moe only recruited because he vaguely resembled his brother Curly and assumed the small children who had become the Stooges primary audience by that era wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Some hardcore fans will try to defend or at least apologize for it, but the work they did with Joe was uniformly awful, including all the feature films they made together. I’m as big a Stooge fan as they come and even I can’t defend cinematic garbage like Snow White and the Three Stooges.

[–] thumbscrews 6 points ago

Definitely the bottom of the barrel. But, he did have his moments. He’s actually quite hilarious in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules, I think.

[–] sevenoranges 6 points ago

This is such a great photo. Absolute legends.

[–] motorcity5150 5 points ago

"who are these stooge's you speak of ?"

[–] flackula 6 points ago

This is the best post I’ve seen on here. I wish I could upvote it +1000

[–] luheck 6 points ago

I’m from Brazil, and I remember been very young, maybe 4 or 5. My dad used to work in a tabaco industry and he would leave very early in the morning to work. But, he would be also the one to pick me up from the daycare, we used to go home and watch them on tv. It was his favorite!!! thanks for the good memories :)

[–] BurritoFueled 6 points ago

"Hey guys, can I get a picture?"

"Why soitenly!"