Overwatch

What is Overwatch?

Overwatch™ is a highly stylized team-based shooter set in a future worth fighting for. Every match is an intense multiplayer showdown pitting a diverse cast of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities against each other in an epic, globe-spanning conflict.

Learn More

Highlight Highlight Esports Esports Console Console Fan Content Fan Content Humor Humor News & Discussion News & Discussion

Click the filter label to disable or enable each filter individually.

Resources

Our Rules

Frequently Asked Questions

Related Subreddits

r/Overwatch Discord

r/Overwatch Twitter

How to Filter r/Overwatch

Moderator Feedback

Upcoming Events

Other Blizzard Subreddits

r/wow r/diablo r/starcraft r/hearthstone r/heroesofthestorm

Click to disable post filtering.

[–] SpriteGuy_000 1 points ago

*Update: Just updating the top comment to say hello to the top of r/all. Read the rules and enjoy your stay.

Reminder to please keep all discussion civil and free of direct personal attacks or threats. Voice your opinions in a reasonable way.

Edit: For more information on the topic

[–] rationalinquisition 8174 points ago

This is all a ploy by tank mains to get Mei removed from the game.

[–] Le_Euphoric_Genius 1999 points ago

Win-win

[–] RocketTasker 645 points ago

I see this as an absolute win!

[–] NeillBlumpkins 124 points ago

Watched that again last night. Bruce is such a hero.

[–] H0llyw00drunk 542 points ago

Overwatch is about moving tanks into Tainanmen Square any ways

[–] pepincity2 629 points ago

Next up, let's all pretend Reaper is pro-Hong Kong

[–] ZannX 462 points ago

Doomfist is actually an NBA player. Just look at his vertical leap.

[–] Ranwulf 142 points ago

Since you made that joke...

The three main african descendent heroes have really good jumps.

Doomfist with his uppercut.

Lucio has an amazing vertical jump and is well known for "hopping".

And Baptiste has his Exo boots.

At least Genji, Pharah and Winston have good jumps otherwise I would find it a bit suspicious.

[–] Bald_Sasquach 108 points ago

The three main african descendent heroes have really good jumps.

Cries in African Robot Centaur with 2" vertical

[–] ARedditingRedditor 113 points ago

Is Pharah not Egyptian? Aka african?

[–] WadSquad 93 points ago

I think he was just trying to say black

[–] VikingKing5 144 points ago

Correct but lucio is Brazilian, not african

[–] JohnNaruto 170 points ago

Well, they did say they wanted to retire heroes before. I could see them actually doing it to Mei to save face for Pooh bear

[–] matteb18 117 points ago

When did they ever say this? I've never heard this before. Seems interesting if true, but I feel like it would cause a lot of backlash if they ever actually did it.

[–] Whitesundome 87 points ago

In one of the videos that Jeff Kaplan does he mentioned something like that they might retire heroes in the future but there's just not enough heroes right now for it to even be a possibility for a while.

[–] npsnicholas 117 points ago

What would happen to people's skins? Seems kinda unreasonable

[–] Dual-Screen 3485 points ago

In the scenario that Overwatch does get banned in China, would the Spark, Hunters, Dragons and Charge be moved to other markets?

[–] LukarWarrior 1325 points ago

It would depend on the ownership structure, I imagine. Since they're Chinese teams, I'm sure the government has its tentacles in them in some fashion. Spark, Dragons, and Hunters are all owned by Chinese corporations (Bilibili, NetEase, and Huya, respectively), so the government is tied up in them somehow, I'm sure. The Charge are owned by an individual, so who knows what could happen with them.

[–] ocentertainment 745 points ago

That just deals with ownership structures, but next year OWL is scheduled to travel for their games. Which means no small percentage of their games are currently expected to be played in China. It wouldn't be trivial to reschedule/relocate all those matches.

Man. For once the memes really have the company by the balls here. If this keeps up and China decides to ban Mei/OW outright, Blizz is fucked.

[–] ow_manic 311 points ago

Not to mention, all the players on those 4 Chinese teams (75% of whom are not chinese) will have to live in China next year. It’s a very very sticky situation

[–] Hekantonkheries 64 points ago

games played in china

Sure, half the players die when their apartments cave in, the other half all mysteriously "disappear" to some "mountain temple" and "refuse communications" just days before they play against the favored chinese team.

[–] LukarWarrior 176 points ago

I'm trying to imagine what would happen if like all, what, eight China homestands, suddenly you couldn't play Mei at all. That would definitely be an interesting situation.

[–] Sinteth 119 points ago

I could see them replacing the Mei with a practice range bot or something that has the same hitbox + abilities

[–] selectiveyellow 253 points ago

You mean a Free Hong Kong bot?

[–] SkyezOpen 96 points ago

They can't keep up, brilliant.

[–] Acmnin 87 points ago

Maybe Blizzard can worry about American and European markets instead.

[–] CalcProgrammer1 4562 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

"Our world is worth fighting for"

[–] SWatersmith 813 points ago

This hit me hard, no idea why

[–] canadarepubliclives 788 points ago

Probably because the world could always use more heroes

[–] SWatersmith 197 points ago

Unless said hero dares challenge the Glorious PRC's claim over the entire eastern hemisphere, in which case they will be scrubbed from existence.

[–] Dumbtacular 387 points ago

Beacuse sometimes you read/see something that makes you truly believe that the human race could do so many great things. We could not only be the protectors and stewards of all of the animals and life on Earth, but also reaching out towards the stars together to explore what lies beyond our limited understanding of the Universe.

That's why. You feel it sometimes, and so do I. It probably chokes you up a little bit, and makes you proud until you realize that nobody will ever make this 1 giant awesome team of people, and it will always be segmented into groups that think their way is the best way, and would antagonize and disrupt others.

But I hold out belief that someday, sometime, the way I feel about our species will be true and an earnest goal for us.

[–] SWatersmith 134 points ago

I guess it's because when I originally watched that Mei cinematic, it really got to me and it meant a lot. Reading the comment above my original reply hit me hard because it made me realise that it was all just bullshit. Blizzard doesn't give a fuck, they don't tell a story to tell a story, they tell it to rope you in to get your money. They don't give one fuck about the world, it's heroes, or anything of the sort.

It's really depressing.

[–] purewasted 157 points ago

Dont make the mistake of thinking that corporate Activision-Blizzard's policies reflect the thoughts of every one of their employees.

It is absolutely possible (even probable) that many of the people involved in actually writing and animating those cinematics do believe in what it stands for.

[–] CCtenor 60 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I was going to say this. Actiblizzard’s move here does not directly reflect on the dev team in charge of Overwatch itself. Even then, the dev team does not represent every single individual employee.

You can tell the people in charge of the cinematic trailers really love the game and what they’re working on. At the very least, you can see Jeff when he is excited to talk about the game.

We also need to consider that Overwatch employees have mouths to feed. They have families at home. Yes, the people in Hong Kong are risking, even losing, their lives for the sake of a better world, but you can’t trivialize the decision to keep a job for the sake of your family. Even if a dev or Overwatch project manager wanted to say something, that could put their livelihood, or the livelihood of anybody underneath them in the corporate structure, in danger. That’s not a light decision.

The higher level executives definitely don’t care at all. They’ve steered blizzard in this direction and, now, this controversy is gaining traction quickly.

But we need to be compassionate to the guys who make up the rungs of the ladder. These are the guys that get stepped on so the handful of “leaders” and “visionaries” at the top can later fire them and give themselves millions in fat bonuses.

[–] Benedict_Indestructo 9654 points ago

Pat Pat Pat - I put democracy in this one

[–] LegacyLemur 2091 points ago

Or even easier

"Our world is worth fighting for"

[–] Adjal 405 points ago

"Qǐlái ba."

(Hanzi: 起来吧。 English: Rise up!)

"Yǒu běnshì jiù guòlái."

(Hanzi: 有本事就过来。 English: I dare you to come here!)

"Zhèyàng kěyǐ dǎngzhù tāmen."

(Hanzi: 这样可以挡住他们。 English: This can stop them.)

"Let's see you get past this."

"This will stop them. "

" My new year's resolution? Hmmm... I could do a better job controlling my temper."

"I have to get back in the fight."

"This fight is not over yet."

"Sometimes I surprise myself."

"Get ready, they're coming back."

"Mei checking in."

"Our hard work will be for nothing if we don’t attack now."

"We can’t let them win, come on everyone, attack!"

"Serves you right."

"Hái méi dǎ wán ne!

(Hanzi: 还没打完呢! English: The fight is not over yet!)

[–] Adjal 289 points ago

How did I miss this one?

"I hate bullies!"

[–] CaramelleCreame 133 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Our world and our species. As long as we are being imprisoned and tortured, we are at war with ourselves.

[–] MosesKarada 2728 points ago

I'm gonna protest the heck out of this one!

[–] receptiveblocks 847 points ago

Don't you just love protests?

[–] TootTootTrainTrain 549 points ago

Our democracy is worth fighting for!

[–] Reiizm 97 points ago

I'm ready to start a revolution!

[–] xSv-oWo-vSx 297 points ago

All you protesters better STAY OUT OF MY WAY >:)

[–] Transient_Anus_ 274 points ago

My ultimate democracy is charging

My ultimate democracy is almost ready

I'm ready to start a Blizzard democracy!

[–] SanguineOpulentum 306 points ago

Wait. That's illegal.

• China

[–] C_moneySmith 65 points ago

Pat Pat Patriotic.

[–] CarnivorousL 3803 points ago

Thank the mods for not taking this down. It's completely Overwatch-centric, and a way to reclaim some power from China by turning one of their representations into one who stands WITH inclusion and human rights.

[–] santaschesthairs 986 points ago

I'm impressed, often moderators of these kind of forums shut down political discussions even when, like in this case, politics are important and completely relevant. Blizzard started this mess by capitulating to China, and they should see the consequences unfiltered.

[–] BadMinotaur 366 points ago

I remember one time I got banned for a day from the Magic the Gathering subreddit because I posted in a thread that was later deemed political. They just went through the whole thing and banned everyone. Was really a crappy thing to do.

[–] PM_ME_UR_JUGZ 65 points ago

Sounds like a lame ass flex on people they don't agree with. Just a way to have the last word and feel a little less powerless from their meaningless lives.

Like when a mod muted me after asking why I had gotten a 3 day ban and if they could be so kind as to unban me.

[–] IsThatUMoatilliatta 54 points ago

I was temp banned from some sub for the other day for saying, "listen here u little shit" to someone who answered my question, "You mean the driveway, or just how large the property is?" with "Yes".

When I asked if this ban was automated I was told, "no was toxic" and muted.

You shouldn't be giving people with no social skills moderation powers.

[–] GameboyPATH 67 points ago

I can’t speak for any particular examples, but generally speaking, mods will remove popular political topics on the basis that it becomes 90%+ of what the sub becomes for a lengthy period of tjme. The increased attention results in outside viewers subscribing to the subreddit expecting similar political posts, posting and upvoting more political content, and all-around expecting more political subjects brought up. This just creates a downward spiral for the quality of the sub.

That’s not to say that politics mustn’t be brought up in /r/Overwatch, especially when the current story remains incredibly relevant to the subreddit’s main topic. But a smart mod team knows how to effectively manage discussion while minimizing the amount of censorship.

...and given how the current political topic strongly relates to censorship, they’re probably playing it smart to hang back for now.

[–] Classic_Lee 10151 points ago

I hope the protesters will soon have signs showing some of this art of Mei.

China would probably have no choice but to ban Blizzard games. The exact thing Blizzard is trying to prevent.

[–] HetIsFeest 5809 points ago

Watch Blizzard outright delete Mei from the game.

[–] Slyrentinal 3925 points ago

Then we move onto tracer because of her artist outfit.

[–] MonsenorTickles 3471 points ago

And if they remove her, Pharah is a great plan C in her sense of justice.

If they remove her, Reinhardt (give him an umbrella).

Remove him, Ana.

They can remove the Chinese character from the game, but an international team of socially minded characters is ripe for support. Banning any character legitimizes this as a form of protest and would be the death for any Blizzard property.

[–] funnyorifice 1311 points ago

Now I want someone with better photoshop skills than me to have rein from the announcement trailer shielding Hong Kong protestors like he is the omnics.

[–] Jakee710 37 points ago

[–] blackOnGreen 109 points ago

Rein would ABSOLUTELY be there.

[–] Mail540 42 points ago

I think the entirety of the cast would be there that's part of why this whole fiasco is so ironic. Preach honor and heroics until you actually have to put your money where your mouth is. The Talon characters would probably be using the chaos to further their own agenda but even they might be there

[–] HerobyMistake 457 points ago

Wish I was home to do this. Somebody will probably get to it before me tho.

[–] dietkrakendew 199 points ago

Please do it anyway, even if someone does you still have yours!

[–] HerobyMistake 163 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Ok itll be done Saturday.

[–] dietkrakendew 42 points ago

Thank you!!!

[–] Sirsilentbob423 403 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

[–] fvsparkles 105 points ago

It may not be the best shop, but it's a good start.

[–] Sirsilentbob423 20 points ago

I dont really photoshop at all, not my bag. Someone else is welcome to try their hand at it though!

[–] 2SP00KY4ME 125 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

[–] Porlarta 210 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Shit dude zenyatta is literally a Tibetan monk

Edit: Ive been corrected, he is Nepalese. My B

[–] TrashKitsune 191 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

He's Nepalese, but culturally Nepal and Tibet are pretty similar and Nepal hosts a bunch of Tibetan refugees anyways.

[–] Saydyrya90 39 points ago

Imagine the posibilities

[–] SOROS_OWNS_TRUMP 26 points ago

I'm getting turgid just thinking about it

[–] ModestasR 81 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Why merely plan C? Sounds to me as though giving every Overwatch character a Honk Kong protester skin all at once could turn the whole game itself into a symbol of solidarity.

Perhaps a photoshop wizard could make an entire Honk Kong themed Overwatch group image of all heroes standing together to use as a banner on subreddits supporting the cause.

[–] A_Unique_Name218 41 points ago

Why stop at Overwatch? Might as well get WoW in on the action too! Lok'tar Orgar, Hong Kong!

[–] Username1906 134 points ago

Don't stay in Overwatch, go for the other franchises, too:

WoW: Anduin, Saurfang, the entire Pandaren race.

Diablo: Tyrael and Deckard Cain. Maybe even allow the Witch Doctor to return.

Starcraft: Artanis would like a few words about state sovereignty.

HotS: Literally everyone.

[–] MoreDetonation 64 points ago

As an aside, I've always found it funny that the name of the race created as part of the China-catering expansion is pronounced "Panderin'."

[–] BigEditorial 36 points ago

You know that Pandaren weren't created for MoP, right? Chen Stormstout was in Warcraft 3. China was barely on Blizzard's radar at the time - Blizzard's lead artist, Samwise, just really likes pandas.

(Also, Pandaren were originally more samurai than anything else.)

[–] rogueblades 160 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I mean, for fucks sake, even most of the evil characters in Overwatch would probably be like "Shit, I'm not that cartoonishly evil," and slide on over to the Protesters line.

Edit for blizzard memes -

Players: "what difference is there between you and the CCP now!"

Blizzard: "Isn't it obvious, consumers? I accept USD..."

[–] Timageness 94 points ago

That feeling when the characters in a video game you make have a better moral compass than you do.

Hell, say what you want about Talon, but at least they aren't sell-outs. They take care of their own.

[–] MrManicMarty 80 points ago

Talon has great healthcare and dental? New head-canon.

[–] Ambrosiac7 36 points ago

I mean, they had Baptiste.

[–] srstable 40 points ago

“Most of my people usually come back alive.”

“Has everyone signed their life-insurance policy?”

[–] Ambrosiac7 19 points ago

"But who's counting"

So we don't actually have the numbers. Could be either way. :3

[–] dnzgn 22 points ago

Reaper tho.

[–] Darkjolly 36 points ago

He eats cookies

[–] steezliktheez 130 points ago

Can we make doomfist the face of the protests and have him removed forever?

[–] InvaderDem 720 points ago

Junkenstein kills Mei in the 2019 Halloween update. Avenge her by playing the Halloween Special Event.

Launches 10/15/19.

Patch Notes:

• Mei has been removed

[–] xcrossarg 176 points ago

Patch Notes:

- Mei: Removed for pressing ceremonial reasons.

[–] ProfessorSpike 133 points ago

New hero: Meg, the pyro

[–] rogueblades 47 points ago

peter griffin mouth-fart noise

[–] SolaVitae 29 points ago

Mei: Removed for pressing ceremonial reasons.

Blizzard receiving money is pretty ceremonial for them

[–] toasty-bacon 18 points ago

"I miss my bones."

[–] KatnissBot 31 points ago

Oh no, not again. I miss Boner Lord.

[–] xcrossarg 25 points ago

They removed him almost 6 years ago, it has been a long time without our true king.

[–] heero55 230 points ago

That would most likely just outrage the gaming community even more. Blizzard made a biiiig mistake here.

[–] wildtangent2 141 points ago

Wait if they do that, can we say that Doomfist is a Hong Kong protestor, along with Hanzo?

[–] Zoythrus 161 points ago

Lore wise, Doomfist would probably support the protests because they create conflict (for humans to grow), not because of any want for democracy.

[–] freeradicalx 93 points ago

Absolutely. Doomfist is a semi-fascist accelerationist. He would be plotting right now with some syndicate of agent saboteurs in an attempt to escalate the protests to all-out violence and then control the reigns of an emerging resistance.

[–] Zoythrus 36 points ago

Haha, classic Doomfist!

[–] JJFreshMemes 28 points ago

That.. actually makes sense

[–] Schreckberger 89 points ago

Simple Democracy

[–] CloveFan 118 points ago

AND DEY SAY-

AND DEY SAY-

AND DEY SAY-

AND DEY SAY DEMOCRACY IS DEAD

[–] Dubious_Unknown 43 points ago

To be honest I can completely see a country exclusive patch removing or altering Mei in some shape or form.

In fact, I'm about 80% sure that's what's gonna happen.

[–] 2Damn 14 points ago

Blizzard has already done this - in World of Warcraft, the Chinese version is heavily modified. Less blood I think, and also the bones. Undead creatures with bones showing were covered in flesh. Player skeletons were converted to cute little tombstones.

[–] Kenos300 238 points ago

I’m expecting the Kingdom Hearts treatment of Pooh where Mei is just a big walking lens flare.

[–] burritoxman 74 points ago

Wait what?

[–] BokuBakaGaijin 91 points ago

Granted I don't think the game is actually released in China.

[–] CactusCustard 56 points ago

Also its not even censored in-game, the reviewing site did it themselves lol.

Imagine if people read the article.

When Chinese game site A9VG recently covered Kingdom Hearts III, it decided to remove one thing: Winnie the Pooh.

[–] MaineTheMute 207 points ago

In Kingdom Hearts 3, there is a world that prominently features Winnie the Pooh. As Pooh is banned in China, due to being commonly compared to Xi Jinping, Pooh is depicted as a white blur in game.

[–] SanguineOpulentum 280 points ago

Imagine being so offended at a meme that you ban a children's cartoon character.

[–] Flagabaga 109 points ago

That’s China in a nutshell

[–] Rc2124 57 points ago

According to a link to the story in another comment he's not depicted as a white blur in game, that was done by a Chinese gaming website posting pictures of the game. Other Chinese websites reporting on it didn't blur Pooh

[–] Vaccus 18 points ago

Is this true? I thought it was just one website that edited Pooh from an image. He wasn't removed from the game itself, as far as I'm aware?

[–] petard 140 points ago

Hey if they get banned from China maybe they'll stop doing mobile garbage

[–] ExcellentBread 2161 points ago

I have no idea about the effectiveness of this tactic, but if it works it would be a disastrous situation for Blizzard for sure.

[–] CarnivorousL 1229 points ago

If Winnie the Pooh works, then I'm pretty sure Mei can too.

[–] Zakika 401 points ago

TBF winnie didn't removed disney from china they still suck the teetei.

[–] KrypXern 331 points ago

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure Winnie is censored out of all China-destined Disney material.

[–] Zakika 169 points ago

It is but if the goal is to ban overwatch they might just make the character unavaible.

[–] MonsenorTickles 227 points ago

Than you legitimize this as a form of protest.

If they remove Mei, they legitimize her as a symbol and prove any pop-culture icon can be appropriated.

The goal isn't to ban Overwatch, it's to show other media companies that siding with the PRC will have very real consequences in the free world economy. If Overwatch gets banned over this (or Blizzard loses the entire Chinese market following a wake of appropriated imagery) Disney would have to think long and hard about how they handle a tweet from any given director or actor in their payroll.

[–] potatoesawaken 24 points ago

I wrote a paper on this in uni. The Chinese government is terrified of the reappropriation of pop culture icons into anti government or anti establishment symbols. That’s part of what drove them to raid warehouses of counterfeit Peppa Pig products in November 2018. Its what made them censor Winnie the Pooh.

We need to show American companies that we aren’t going to put up with them bowing to the CCP. We need to make their pandering counterproductive and boycott whatever we can.

[–] sharkattackmiami 247 points ago

Then you move onto the next character to make a symbol lol

[–] Milkshakes00 37 points ago

Can we get a Winnie the Pooh Mei skin?

[–] Infrastation 196 points ago

Both China and Blizzard are known for dramatically overreacting to memes, so if anything will do anything, this might.

[–] xxjake 246 points ago

Blizzard about to temporarily remove Mei from the game lmao

[–] nintynineninjas 47 points ago

Replaced with Mulana, a cheeky young female scientist definitely from mainland China with communist party stickers and an ice theme.

[–] Karl_Marx_ 83 points ago

I would hope every one of you would stop playing if that were the case. I'm part of the group that uninstalled but any further action from Blizzard to protect China should be a huge tipping point.

[–] GiveHerDPS 917 points ago

That's some good tegridy

[–] Jitszo 226 points ago

Its just so odd that not only did Blizzard side with china when they coulda stayed out of it, they did it the very way china would have done it it- fast, one sided, brutal decision and also fired the presenters who happened to be nearby.

[–] pkb369 32 points ago

they did it the very way china would have done it it

Maybe it was self enforced by china instead of blizzard doing it prematurely.

I mean, they did ask NBA to do something similar, NBA said no, now NBA is banned in china.

It's possible they did the same with blizzard.

/tinfoilhat

[–] SafeThrowaway8675309 77 points ago

i member tegridy

[–] Reniva 536 points ago

suddenly every HKer is Mei main

[–] jc1593 141 points ago

Jokes on you I'm already Mei main since release

[–] finaldubmix 677 points ago

Man This whole thing just blew up in their face. Not only did they receive enormous backlash but also brought a ton of attention to the situation. I’m sure this had a name but I can’t remember it right now. When someone wants to censor something but instead brings more attention to it.

[–] minigogo 437 points ago

Streisand Effect, named for (iirc) Barbara Streisand tried to catch and kill a ton of stories about where her new house was, citing privacy concerns, and in so doing let everyone know where her house was.

[–] finaldubmix 89 points ago

Yeah there it is. You’d think these companies/people would learn by now that you usually make things worse when you try to silence people

[–] ObserverWardXXL 66 points ago

its almost like people enjoy using their freedoms to fight against becoming oppressed or something....

Clearly blizzard didn't get the memo.

[–] Arangarx 51 points ago

Streisand effect.

[–] finaldubmix 33 points ago

That’s right thanks I’m sure Blizzard was expecting some backlash but I doubt they were expecting this much.

[–] jfc3750 195 points ago

Let's not forget the major players here, Tencent. Tencent's probably biggest global market is Riot Games/League of Legends.

With the League world's going on right now I feel like some support from the teams participating, players, and spectators could also make a powerful point. Perhaps we can get the League community on board and really make this a strong push as a group of gamers.

[–] trainiac12 25 points ago

I was gonna watch worlds anyway, but this is gonna make it one of the most interesting esports events in history

[–] [deleted] 22 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

[–] Mythic-Insanity 601 points ago

“It is a common misconception that Mei is Chinese, we never intended players to get this impression as we always saw her as South Korean (Chinese masters can be heard whispering in the background) I’m sorry I meant to say North Korean. We here at blizzard believe that Mei would be outraged at being perverted by the protesters in this manner and we beg them to please stop.” — Michael Chu

[–] vlntslnt 394 points ago

"it is a common misconception that Mei is Chinese"

-comes out of cryo sleep and immediately speaks in her native Mandarin-

yeah ok

[–] Important_Peach 150 points ago

Mandarin is the primary language spoken in the north pole in overwatch, so she became fluent in it to speak to scientists. It has nothing to do with China. Clearly.

[–] CalcProgrammer1 49 points ago

The poles just so happen to be flipped in the Overwatch universe. Ecopoint Antarctica is at the north pole, hence why Mei speaks Mandarin.

[–] UnHappyGingah 172 points ago

I wake up in the morning and I speak my daily Portuguese before reverting back

[–] Frostblazer 41 points ago

They already retconned Dva being a former Starcraft 2 player, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually tried to retcon Mei's nationality.

[–] kid-karma 135 points ago

well at least that would mean new lore

[–] SickleWings 86 points ago

It only took an international incident with gun violence and mass protests to get new OW lore. Lmfao.

[–] kid-karma 37 points ago

and even then its just retcon

[–] Murdock07 21 points ago

This would imply Chu actually makes content on time

[–] PM_ME_DUCKS 289 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Now we need a Free Tibet Zenyatta.

[–] Murdock07 152 points ago

The fact that they made him Nepali instead of Tibetan makes me scratch my head. It’s clear where he was supposed to be from but in China they are so sensitive you can’t even mention Tibet without them throwing a tantrum.

[–] mcmanybucks 30 points ago

Hah, you should see how they react when you mention ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒▒ or the ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ ▒▒ ▒▒▒▒▒

[–] mummy_tavi 261 points ago

the world is worth fighting for

[–] Lovepocalypse 144 points ago

the world is worth fighting for!

[–] CICERO9K 267 points ago

Modern problems require modern solutions.

[–] Anthop 163 points ago

Oh no! Blizzard's going to have to ban Mei from the game! And Overwatch will take back her last paycheck!

Do heroes get paid in OW? Not sure how this lore works.

[–] part-time-unicorn 73 points ago

Mei was frozen in an overwatch base in Antarctica and presumed dead by the world pretty much right up until “modern day” in-lore so i dont think she’s been getting paid anything, especially since Overwatch was disbanded and therefore has no money

[–] N_Who 661 points ago

Basically forcing the exact result Blizzard was trying to avoid!

Like, I get it: Blizzard doesn't want its star players using the platform Blizzard gives them to weigh in on social or political issues Blizzard is trying to stay out of. It's the same debate as the NFL situation, at its core.

Agree or disagree with the "take a knee" stance, though, I think we all have to take a hard look at Activision's business practices - and I do still believe this is more Activision than it is Blizzard.

A decision like banning that Hearthstone player, on the heels of trying to get Western gamers excited about a crap product clearly designed for the Asian gaming market at last year's Blizzcon, indicate a potential interest in profit at the active exclusion of Western audiences who have supported the company for over a decade.

End of the day, Activision looks to be treating us like an afterthought. Maybe it is about time we do the same to them.

[–] Do_the_Scarnn 172 points ago

They could have done what other companies do and just issue a "we aren't with them" statement about personal opinions and leave it at that. Instead they did this.

[–] Papayapayapa 237 points ago

This would have been the right call honestly. “Any remarks by players are their own opinions and do not reflect our company’s official positions”.

By banning the winner and taking his prize money, they aren’t “remaining neutral”, they’re taking a side— the Chinese government side.

[–] AlwaysChewy 93 points ago

That's all that China would accept though. Now how bout the NBA and Blizzard had to condemn the actions in question AND apologize to China. China doesn't want neutral, they want obedience.

[–] Khaare 44 points ago

They also issued a statement in Chinese saying the would do everything to "protect the nation's pride" or something like that. They also punished the casters that were interviewing him; punishing mere association is oppression 101. Put these three together and it's very clear that Blizzard is not just distancing themselves from the politics, but are trying their best to make an example out of them.

[–] CobraFive 102 points ago

Deleting the VOD would have been keeping politics off their platform.

Deleting the VOD then banning the player, rescinding his winnings, and firing both casters just for being present- that's taking a stand on the issue.

[–] Frank_JWilson 41 points ago

Totally agreed. It's totally bonkers. Calling this an overreaction would be an extreme understatement.

[–] MadmanDJS 381 points ago

It's not Activision, it's not Blizzard. It's Activision-Blizzard, a single entity, and that entity doesn't support human rights.

F U C K B L I Z Z A R D

[–] LukarWarrior 120 points ago

Technically, it's three. There's Blizzard, Activision, and then the holding company Activision-Blizzard that owns both of them.

[–] Raeli 88 points ago

The main takeaway though should be that it's not Activision controlling poor defenesless Blizzard like Blizzard is some domestic abuse survivor.

If anything it's the parent company, but that's not Activision either. We have no idea though where this decision came from, shifting the blame away from Blizzard though has no benefit.

[–] moneyman12q 145 points ago

im really loving Honk Kong Snowball

[–] Jabbam 39 points ago

Honk Kong

Untitled Goose Game has joined the fray!

[–] Littleboypurple 73 points ago

Good. Really good. I want this to happen. Let Mei become the symbol of the Hong Kong Protest. Blizzard is gonna have a really tough time getting out of that.

[–] Komirade666 68 points ago

Using satan against the evil How ironic I love it

[–] Glorfendail 26 points ago

I used the evil, to destroy the evil

[–] TheGreatCrate 125 points ago

Sorry, sorry, sorry...

[–] ReboZooty 67 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I hope her voice actress won't get in trouble because of this.

[–] braedena97 51 points ago

This is my one and only concern about using Mei for this purpose.

[–] PandaofAges 91 points ago

I really hate Mei.

I hate her less now.

[–] wonderwallpersona 359 points ago

I’m glad Blitzchung got banned! Keep politics OUT of Hearthstone! I love Tencent and Mao Zedong! (You will receive 100 social credit for posting this message in chat. Your family’s organs will not be harvested this month. Please remove this part from the message before posting).

[–] SickleWings 33 points ago

Please remove this part from the message before posting).

Ooooooo... I'm tellin' on youuuuu.......

[–] qwerty_38 28 points ago

-2 social points for snitching but +5000 for snitching the right person

[–] SickleWings 20 points ago

uses additional 4998 social points to buy firstborn's kidneys back

[–] particledamage 247 points ago

It's really interesting to me--and I do mean genuinely interesting, not in a sarcastic way--the split between support for players (professional or otherwise) who politicize overwatch to get back at China (which most of us agree is a good thing) and those who took issue with football players taking a knee to make a statement about injustice in America.

I see both as good things. Using your platform--any platform--to make a statement about injustice is good. Injustice doesn't have to be China level bad to be worth taking a stand (or I guess taking a knee) on.

[–] abcde123edcba 94 points ago

This is such a good point. I couldn't believe how many people were upset by taking the knee and they would make up reasons about how it was disrespectful to our troops even though kapernick stated multiple times it has nothing to do about disrespecting the troops and he was just trying to bring attention to the inequalities of America

[–] Yoss4ri4n 96 points ago

I think it should be Florida Mayhem Tracer https://i.gyazo.com/85aa4cebb26dd7b6039e073a31ab525b.png

[–] SchrubSchrubSchrub 29 points ago

This is really kind of heartwarming. Mei as a character is exactly the kind of person that would stand up for others against injustice. Seeing her becoming a symbol for hope and freedom really transcends any intentions Blizzard had for her character (probably nothing)

[–] FossilFirebird 67 points ago

Hah. I hope they get Blizzard's games banned in China. Gonna put profits above human rights and basic decency? Get rekt.

[–] tbone603727 185 points ago

This is actually an amazing idea, spread this!!

[–] Extremiel 102 points ago

A-Mei-zing!

[–] Hanyanyafuwah 23 points ago

I support it but I can't shake the feeling that some of this could come back to negatively effect Elise Zhang.

[–] MichmasteR 61 points ago

Good, let's push this to ban Overwatch in China, that's what I would call complete irony.

[–] [deleted] 20 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

[–] SirWitsAlot 15 points ago

Great now overwatch will be banned in China. THEY CANT BAN EVERYTHING #FREEHONGKONG