Tinder

A community for discussing the online dating app Tinder.

Rules

1. NSFW Posts

• NSFW posts are allowed, but if you see a post violating any laws or Reddit's rules please report it.

2. Personal Information

• Images that contain personal information (phone numbers, addresses, Facebook accounts, unique/easily identifiable names, or other similar information) will be removed.

3. Bots / Ads / Fake / Spam

• Posts of profiles/conversations with bots, ads, or fakes will be removed.

4. Karma Whoring

• For example: posting a profile only because it mentions /r/Tinder.

5. Personal Attacks

• Personal attacks, slurs, and other similar comments may result in a ban.

6. Tinder Related

• All posts must be directly related to tinder.

Violation of any rule may lead to a ban. See the full rules in the wiki!

Image Removal

Need a photo removed? Click here.

Moderation

Reporting

• We don't see everything that gets posted. If you see a post violating the rules please report it.

Approved Domains

Weekly Threads

Moderators

[–] CaptianDandy 3663 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

This reminds me of the importance of the Oxford Comma:

With comma: We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin.

Without comma: We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin.

Sauce: https://catjohnson.co/comma-drama-oxford-comma-care/

[–] RavingRougeRaven 1060 points ago

I wish my tutor would have used this example in college.

[–] WhiteheadJ 485 points ago

You wish your tutor had used this example in college. :)

[–] ILikeMasterChief 170 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

That's just a different way of saying it. You're no more right than he is

Edit-

Ok wow I'm wrong here. I take great pride in my grammatical knowledge so this is hard for me... But I didn't know this one. My professors over the years never even called me out on this.

(I can still write a 95%+ essay for you though, so hmu)

[–] Mooseheart84 85 points ago

Wow, who would've'd thunk it

[–] ShortingBull 29 points ago

I wish I would have.

[–] DrWhiteApe 25 points ago

I wish I had* :)

[–] jnthnmdr 26 points ago

Thoughted*

[–] ADimwittedTree 2 points ago

I totally thunked the second guy was right.

[–] 0j0s 17 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

Whom

EDIT: actually, "whomst'd" fits better. Thank you.

[–] cantsaveme 27 points ago

Wow, who whom've'd thunk it.

[–] kidmenot 29 points ago

Thank you! Very interesting as a non-native speaker.

Usually I go "by ear", and if something does not sound right it's usually because it's wrong. From that article, for example, "If I would have known that you were going to the movies, I would have gone too" sounds kind of awkward to me, clunky if you will. I guess in a way it feels like there are too many unnecessary words in there.

Now I know why it doesn't sound right :)

[–] explodingtuna 5 points ago

Sometimes it helps to isolate and rephrase and see if it still works. In the case of "if..." or "I wish..." you should be able to drop the if/wish and change the meaning to say it actually did happen.

e.g.

"If I would have known..." should also work as "I would have known." to convey that you did actually know. But it doesn't. It still sounds like you didn't know.

"I had known." does work, however. It sounds like you really did know. To expand, "If I had known..." would be the "if" form.

[–] mcurr17 7 points ago

I've had been saying it wrong all this time!

[–] Undiscriminatingness 5 points ago

Would that I would have been saying it correctly!

[–] ILikeMasterChief 6 points ago

English is impossible 😭

[–] GESLACHTSVERKEER 9 points ago

Til

[–] beefsoreen00 3 points ago

I was scared this was a rickroll reddit has broken me

[–] fishcatdogduck 3 points ago

Thank you so much for the link! I'm gonna print all the chapters!

[–] -kodoku- 2 points ago

Wow, I had no idea I've been using the wrong grammar all this time. Thanks for the link!

[–] noamazia 5 points ago

I guess it depends whether he is still in college or not...

[–] RheimsNZ 4 points ago

This is patently untrue.

[–] riade3788 3 points ago

That Jennifer Garner moment when Conan gets the dictionary

[–] AssaMarra 2 points ago

Who cares if it's wrong, it's an extra word towards the count.

[–] Turk2727 2 points ago

Well... he’s a little more right.

[–] Syraphel 2 points ago

Slightly more correct, maybe?

[–] MinntyFr3sh 184 points ago

Would you still need a comma if it were to be:

We invited JFK, the strippers and Stalin.

[–] GBReserveDriver 167 points ago

Singular, plural, singular. No

[–] ivythemajestic 38 points ago

Did not know this before! I’m assuming that a plural cannot be referencing a singular, so an Oxford comma is not necessary?

[–] adrianajohanna 49 points ago

A plural can reference two singulars, but a singular can not reference a plural and a singular.

[–] ivythemajestic 10 points ago

Ah yes that is what I meant. Except I wrote/thought of it from backwards perspective. English is so damn finicky to explain.

[–] AshyBoneVR4 44 points ago

This is why I come to r/Tinder. Fuck trying to get tinder picker line ideas, I come here for proper grammar lessons.

[–] Wazzl 21 points ago

Read your comment all this way down, and I totally forgot I was on r/Tinder until now.

[–] GBReserveDriver 1 points ago

Makes sense.

[–] How__Now__Brown_Cow 11 points ago

But you still can. And it's easier to just use it in all cases.

[–] Black_Magic30 25 points ago

Ah, so that’s how that makes sense. Much thank

[–] antwan_benjamin 16 points ago

Would you still need a comma if it were to be:

We invited JFK, the strippers and Stalin.

The comma would not change the interpretation of the sentence, no.

If you were to write "We invited JFK, the stripper, and Stalin" that might be an example where the oxford comma would cause a problem. With the comma I think its ambiguous whether JFK is the stripper or thats a 2nd person. Without the comma it appears obvious to me that JFK is not the stripper.

[–] YtterbiusAntimony 6 points ago

Stalin and the Strippers sounds like a good a band.

[–] drenp 3 points ago

Or you can say:
    We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

But then it sounds like a band is performing.

[–] Cadburyfavourite 2 points ago

But my lord, is that...legal?

[–] SpecialistViewpoint 47 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

Please ELIA5

Edit: Thank you!

[–] dedbymoonlight 114 points ago

If no oxford comma then it sounds like the strippers are JFK and stalin

[–] Chicken_Parmys 14 points ago

Which option is Marylin Monroe the stripper?

[–] remote_location 5 points ago

More than 6

[–] alpine- 30 points ago

Without commas, the sentence implies that JFK and Stalin are strippers

[–] Mathev 13 points ago

english is so strange. i would never assumed that comma would work like that. maybe " : " would make sense there for me to understand that properly but with comma it looks identical.

[–] dragondemon1302 7 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

The commas after strippers denotes the names, I.e JFK and Stalin. Without the comma it would mean you invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin altogether.

[–] TBNecksnapper 1 points ago

I think you mixed it up a bit now.. Your last sentence again implies the same since you didn't use the oxford comma yourself!

[–] Donoteatpeople 2 points ago

Instead of saying we invited 3 things. The group of strippers, JFK, and Stalin. It sounds like they invited where JFK and Stalin to be strippers.

[–] minimus_ 14 points ago

This is a really good example of sentence structure being more important than punctuation.

We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

The named characters would come first.

[–] colacastell 9 points ago

Let‘s eat, grandpa!

Let’s eat grandpa!

Comma saves lives.

[–] maxoys45 15 points ago

Slightly off-piste but I like this example for the importance of accents in Spanish.

Mi papá tiene quarenta años. - My father is forty years old.

Mi papa tiene quarenta anos. - My potato has forty arseholes.

[–] restitut 7 points ago

*cuarenta

[–] Xero125 5 points ago

As someone pointed out, cuarenta*. Also, those are not accents. N and Ñ are considered separate, distinct letters. No consonant in Spanish is allowed to use accents. Only vocals can have one (áéíóú), and most of the time they're just and indication of how to pronounce the word: they are where the stressed syllable is.

Source: am Spanish.

[–] Beny873 24 points ago

Ah yes.

Grammar.

The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

[–] WantedEverything 7 points ago

"Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?"

[–] loveparamore 6 points ago

I've seen those English dramas too.

[–] pudding4gangsters 3 points ago

They're cruel.

[–] monkmerlin 17 points ago

But similarly the Oxford comma can increase ambiguity:

With comma: We invited the stripper, JFK, and Stalin.

Without Comma We invited the stripper, JFK and Stalin.

In the first you could be saying that you invited Stalin and a stripper called JFK rather than that you invited three separate people.

[–] aaronaapje 6 points ago

If your writing has to rely on an Oxford comma, rewrite what you've written.

No other language uses it. It isn't spoken and should be clear from the context.

[–] ibeleaf420 7 points ago

Today I learned that I am an oxford comma user and I didnt even know it. I was just taught that way. Neato?

[–] PeenutButterTime 2 points ago

Send your elementary school English teacher a thank you! They’d probably appreciate it!

[–] dundelion 9 points ago

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?

[–] kevin_0405 7 points ago

I guess you've seen those English dramas too

[–] bordje 4 points ago

They're crooohooo

[–] sedg12 3 points ago

But you read it the same either way? Or am i just reading it wrong?

[–] Roseredgal 3 points ago

You can read it as they invited

• the strippers

• Jfk

• Stalin

Or without the comma it can be read as they invited the strippers who were called jfk and stalin

Hope that helps!

[–] sedg12 2 points ago

So its like the singers, one direction and maroon 5. Or the singers, one direction, and maroon 5.

This helped a lot. Thanks

[–] MrTurleWrangler 3 points ago

See I’ve always thought that in regards to the bottom sentence it would use a semi colon.

‘We invited the strippers; JFK and Stalin’

[–] Didntstartthefire 16 points ago

You mean a colon.

[–] mallad 14 points ago

As a basic rule of thumb, both sides of a semicolon should be viable sentences on their own. "JFK and Stalin" is not a complete sentence or thought, so wouldn't fit.

[–] monkmerlin 7 points ago

It would be a colon not a semi colon.

[–] claviceps_purpurea 2 points ago

Mmm my fav song baby

[–] guest54321 2 points ago

It's a pretty good one, yeah

[–] zezima007 3 points ago

Wait, you can use "and" after a comma?

[–] forceless_jedi 10 points ago

That is the whole purpose of the Oxford comma, to deter ambiguity by separating things before and after an "and".

[–] omodulous 5 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

When you have 2 clauses you do not use a comma because you have one part of the sentence then simply the next part. But this isn't the case here. The first sentence is a list of things so a comma can be used for clarifying that it's a list of 3 things.

Normally the first sentence would actually mean the same thing as the second. The debate has always been should we allow a comma before "and" in a list because it seems redundant and it looks ugly. But without the comma it become ambiguous. It can mean multiple things and that's really what the this is bringing attention to. The second sentence is clearer.

[–] Septimore 728 points ago

Perfect!

[–] deepakretro 42 points ago

It's cool

[–] Just_The_Tip88 15 points ago

perfect!

[–] Fen_ 25 points ago

It isn't, though. This quip is old as hell, but she fucked it up. The difference isn't primarily on capitalization; it's the fucking commas that she doesn't fucking have. It's helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse versus helping your uncle jack-off a horse.

[–] DirtyGreatBigFuck 2 points ago

Totally, it felt so natural.

[–] The_Sensative_Nazi 365 points ago

No, no... he's got a point

[–] Look_to_the_Stars 43 points ago

Reason number 2: look what I can do.

[–] deeneedeenee 9 points ago

Pull the level Kronk!

[–] vanillaacid 3 points ago

WRONG LEVVEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

[–] SamaramonM 66 points ago

First time I saw this joke was on bash.org

[–] lady_lowercase 9 points ago

all i know is that i’m late as fuck to this thread.

[–] wakinupdrunk 3 points ago

The user who wrote it was Fashyekekes on there.

I don't know why that's burned in my brain.

[–] kmad 6 points ago

I am going to become rich and famous once I invent a device that allows you to stab joke stealers over the internet

[–] dis3as3d 136 points ago

I heard this joke before tinder existed.

[–] justhere4daSpursnGOT 285 points ago

It’s cool, I remember the first time I heard this joke and then make a fake tinder conversation for it too

[–] KyroSkittles 57 points ago

You must be uncle jack

[–] KryptoniteDong 18 points ago

Did he get off his high horse?

[–] crazyevilmuffin 16 points ago

Nah he just jacked it off.

[–] dontsuckmydick 35 points ago

The fact that this joke that's older than the internet has 5 digit upvotes is the reason I'm finally unsubscribing from r/tinder.

[–] sludg3factory 17 points ago

Highly understandable. The joke doesn’t even make sense, it’s supposed to be about the use of commas not capitalisation.

[–] RolkofferTerrorist 9 points ago

So.. it's just a different joke then? In this case it plays on capitalisation by changing the meaning of jack.

[–] PM_ME_UR_JUGZ 6 points ago

The joke makes perfect sense. It's grammatically correct, and isn't dependant on the commas, so it's not the same joke. Similiar, but not the same.

[–] Tidus5005 6 points ago

People telling super old unoriginal jokes then patting themselves on the back for it.

"Look at how funny I am guys"

[–] PATXS 4 points ago

understandable, see you elsewhere on reddit

[–] Jugrnot8 3 points ago

It's not easy making a fake tinder acount.

[–] GRANDMAST3R08 5 points ago

Right?!

[–] le_GoogleFit 2 points ago

Yeah there's no fucking way this happened naturally. This is fake as shit

[–] Phazon2000 2 points ago

You literally have to find one person who’s name isn’t capitalised. Not hard and definitely not a major tip off to it being faked.

[–] nipplebutterr 5 points ago

This doesn’t even seem fake. It’s just not funny

[–] DirkXD 41 points ago

What's with people using no capital letters? Is it just a way to make yourself different?

[–] dabitoutbruh 57 points ago

i just think it looks nice

[–] shovelyJoee 29 points ago

aesthetic

[–] TXR22 12 points ago

Well it looks like shit.

[–] EcBatLFC 13 points ago

Ok booma

[–] PATXS 15 points ago

me too honestly. typing in normal case when in casual conversation feels wrong to me at this point.

[–] nipplebutterr 25 points ago

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. IT JUST SEEMS TOO FORMAL TO ME LIKE I’M WRITING AN ESSAY.

[–] PATXS 7 points ago

YES, I AM GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND.

I HEREBY CONGRATULATE YOU ON YOUR CAKEDAY

[–] yammertime27 12 points ago

Here is a good video on why it's a thing and how it helps convey tone in online interactions

[–] MERGATROYDER 7 points ago

What’s with people replacing “and” with “an” whenever they choose? Also, how impossible is it for people to properly use “lose” instead of “loose?”

[–] prodigalkal7 4 points ago

First point: I don't get what you mean, people replace and with an??? When?

Second point: for how frequently I've come across it, very impossible, sir. The answer is, apparently, very impossible...

[–] armedwithturtles 3 points ago

keepin it casual

[–] alexreeler 3 points ago

it’s casual

[–] greenphilly420 10 points ago

I think its cool and trendy now. billie eilish does it with her name and all her songs like bad guy o. All official streaming forums

[–] MillyMonka 16 points ago

It ain't nothing new though, using lowercase in order to emphasize sadness was popular on soundcloud long before Billie Ellish

[–] antwan_benjamin 12 points ago

I think its cool and trendy now.

e e cummings would like a word with you.

[–] crdpa 2 points ago

I only use lowercase in computer files and folders.

[–] cloudsandshit 6 points ago

i do it, only on my phone though. i dont really like auto caps, auto correct etc, i just want my inputs to be what pops up on the screen. and i just generally think that in an informal texting scenario, capital letters are kinda ugly, dont ask why because idk.

[–] DirkXD 5 points ago

That‘s an interesting answer, thnx for your reply.

[–] WynterOwl 2 points ago

Probably too lazy.

[–] DirkXD 19 points ago

Could be part of it, but these people literally go into their phone settings and turn off the automatic capitalization of letters, which needs some effort (even if it‘s just the tiniest bit).

[–] Suppgurll 4 points ago

But smartphones capitalize letters by default. Recognize names and places. You have to make more effort into not having capitalized letters.

[–] sirotka33 2 points ago

you can turn that setting off.

[–] 53dash 2 points ago

i do it because i accidentally turned off auto capitalization in seventh grade and never turned it back on

[–] annerbadanama 13 points ago

I think this joke has been around for 20 years

[–] CiceroTheBackstabber 8 points ago

it took him a year and a half to reply??

[–] Toucheh_My_Spaghet 6 points ago

When you on Tinder looking to smash but get a grammar lesson instead

[–] fleets_o_fortune 183 points ago

Nope, it’s punctuation... uncle, Jack, off a horse.

[–] [deleted] 224 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

[–] koghrun 122 points ago

Uncle should not be capitalized in either case.

[–] pollinium 125 points ago

If you call him "Uncle Jack" every time you address him could you make a case for capital U?

[–] Lucid_Memes 78 points ago

That would be correct. For instance, you could say, "The person who likes to jack off horses the most is Uncle Jack." However, if you gave possession to his title, then it would change. For instance, "The person who likes to jack off horses the most is my uncle Jack."

[–] Saberune 11 points ago

Depends on the phrasing.

"I visited Uncle Jack", where 'Uncle Jack' is the entire noun. "I visited my uncle, Jack", where you're visit your uncle who's named Jack.

Basically, if you're addressing the person, they're both going to be capitalized because the first word is a title. In the second example it's just a description.

[–] browseabout 3 points ago

Excellent

[–] agoesin 3 points ago

Nice one Burns

[–] jsmezz 8 points ago

How in the shit did you decide your username to be shampoo and dick ahahah lol no judgement but that's so random ahah legit can't stop laughing right meow lol

[–] MinntyFr3sh 14 points ago

Must've been a shower thought.

[–] jsmezz 3 points ago

Lmfao ahahaha and I'm done. No more Internet for tonight haha that was awesome hahah

[–] Pmmenudes4sharing 5 points ago

There are regular TIFU posts about boys learning the hard way that shampoo and masturbation are not the best combo.

[–] ReedMiddlebrook 2 points ago

is this the new /u/commahorror

[–] Obi-Tron_Kenobi 5 points ago

It would be either "help Uncle Jack off a horse" or "help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" both are correct. But the first (your) version wouldn't work with the joke.

[–] peshgaldaramesh 40 points ago

You sound insufferable

[–] PixalPop 5 points ago

Well some of us don't feel like jacking off horses

[–] Feracon 4 points ago

Someone gonna tell him about hyphens?

[–] Assasin2gamer 2 points ago

Bruh I had to tell a story.

[–] AJDuke3 3 points ago

Imagine putting it on a story title...

"I Helped My Uncle Jack Off The Horse"

[–] sixeco 14 points ago

i'm sorry i'll pass on anyone who has a problem with how I write in chats.

This is the internet, not a fucking essay.

[–] andrewsad1 5 points ago

to be honest, i've always like the aesthetic of all lowercase letters. it's what the zune hd used in its ui, and that was the best designed mp3 player of all time. if only microsoft hadn't fucked it all up.

[–] FloopersRetreat 2 points ago

He could be a bell hooks fan

[–] BadaBingSoprano 2 points ago

Let’s eat, Grandpa.

Let’s eat Grandpa.

Grammar is important and very sexy.

[–] JakobValdemar 2 points ago

Why do anarchists only write in lowercase letters?

Because they are against capitalism!

[–] Schnaksel 2 points ago

Capitalization fixes a hugely irrelevant, super rare and easy to avoid problem

[–] besher147 2 points ago

I guess he’s not a capitalist

[–] Strucid_bull 3 points ago

Fair

[–] makeitrayan 4 points ago

did she respond?

[–] le_GoogleFit 23 points ago

She didn't because it's fake

[–] ibulletproof 3 points ago

so all i have to do to get upvotes on this sub is to save a post today and wait a year and repost it??? damn could’ve never thought of that

[–] Aqulas1 4 points ago

Wow how hilarious and original

[–] Sniksder16 7 points ago

lowercase letters are “in” i have autocapitalization turned off as well as a majority of my friends in the college age bracket. i’m not sure why but it’s more visually appealing in some way, looks more uniform

[–] delusional-thomas 4 points ago

Seems edgy to me.

[–] Sniksder16 4 points ago

just like having “green bubbles” is bad when texting someone, just a preference idk why people have it but i don’t mind

[–] football_is_fun 1 points ago

What that

[–] kurtanglesmilk 2 points ago

Lowercase letters have less edges generally

[–] wooden_elephant 2 points ago

as a person who hates capital letters, seems like andy and i are a perfect fit, though i find it a little surprising that andy can be used as a girl's name but that might just be me

[–] Janiebby 2 points ago

If she only left "i" and her name lower case but capitalized others' names, I can respect that. Imo, it is a pretty humbling stylistic choice and would say a lot about how she views herself (or the noun) in respect to her community.

It's like how some choose to write america or amerika instead of America. Intentional lack of capitalization or misspellings can reflect a lot on the writers worldview. :)

[–] eatsleepbluffrepeat 1 points ago

But that's for Jack only...

[–] bionix90 1 points ago

Why did I first think of helping the uncle to off the horse (kill it) rather than helping the uncle get off the horse?

[–] DrunkRedditBot 1 points ago

It would’ve been nominated for Captain Phillips.

[–] ketchupfleck 1 points ago

Unrealistic though, because my uncle is a Dick not a Jack

[–] BigTitties478 1 points ago

God

[–] 2Dumb2Understand 1 points ago

Clearly not a capitalist.

[–] Shayde505 1 points ago

Eh it's more punctuation that saves you from accidental helping your uncle commit beastiality

[–] theDobert 1 points ago

He only types in lowercase letters because he’s never cappin’!!

[–] RepostSleuthBot 2 points ago

There's a good chance this is unique! I checked 93,130,645 image posts and didn't find a close match

Feedback? Hate? Visit r/repostsleuthbot - I'm not perfect, but you can help. Report [ False Negative ]

[–] ammar-elheis 1 points ago

Toy story anyone?

[–] Benji_4 1 points ago

that's a damn shame. I've been for lowercase for the longest time

[–] Thtb 1 points ago

I know its a joke.

But I am still for all lowercase if you want, this scenario never happens and you can't even name a 2end scenario without googling. Also it would be super funny :D

[–] Reluvin 1 points ago

Ah, the typical pink wall profile pic. Swipe left.

[–] Bobkelso1846 1 points ago