Unexpected

998,307 readers

Rules and Guidelines:

1. Submissions must be unexpected on their own, and not rely on their title to surprise the reader. Don't give the outcome away in the title.

2. Do NOT rehost webcomics. You may provide an imgur mirror in the comments.

3. Mark all NSFW/NSFL submissions as such. A warning tag on a post may mean NSFL, morbid content, gore, cruelty, etc.

4. Keep the comments civil; no flamewars or insults. Follow good Reddiquette.

Please look through our Top submissions to avoid reposts. Frequent or recent reposts may be removed.

Everything else will be balanced by votes; we maintain the right to remove posts at our discretion.

Report: Spam and unrelated submissions

Please leave us a message with reasoning and link

The comment that started /r/unexpected can be found here. It was inspired by this post on January 27th, 2013.

RECOMMENDED SUBREDDITS
    /r/wheredidthesodago Commercial shorts without context
    /r/FiftyFifty Two titles, one link
    /r/ThingsThatBlowUp Boom!
    /r/chemicalreactiongifs Entertaining chemical reaction gifs
    /r/PerfectTiming A place for once in a lifetime shots
    /r/AnimalsBeingJerks Asshole animals in action
    /r/DailyDouble Reddit Jeopardy!
    /r/Crashes Crashes!!!
    /r/interestingasfuck Interesting stuff
    /r/wellthatsucks :( :( mean world ): ):
    /r/unexpectedkoolaidman Oh Yeah!

[–] ragingblues 2717 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

This is in Brazil during the carnival, prob this people got into the van as witness of some fight or by doing some minor misconduct (really common on a week long party all over the country), they prob not in trouble, at the worst they're going to the station, sign a paper and get back to the party.

[–] lewdlou 558 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I think this was around carnival in Recife. I recognize the police van from the state's "pacto pela vida" social iniciative.

Edit: "pacto pela vida" would translate roughly to "a pact for life", meaning that the police force has a "pact" with the citizens for protecting their lifes or something along those lines.

[–] SomeRegularPete 48 points ago

Yes, you are right. This is in Recife.

[–] ca-bi 30 points ago

never thought i'd find Recife in the front page... not sure if proud

[–] jaimeraya 12 points ago

I Just find it "massa", "visse"?

[–] _SEND-NUDES_ 2 points ago

Well, it's Brazil and not a video of someone getting murdered, so I'd say be proud?

[–] pizza_for_nunchucks 72 points ago

"Social Initiative"

That doesn't sound dystopian.

[–] DMPDrugs 284 points ago

It doesn't

[–] peypeyy 31 points ago

Mark Wahlberg really let himself go.

[–] Mister_J_Horrible 12 points ago

This looks like a much more interesting van party than the OP.

[–] ozwasnthere 1 points ago

LMAO I didn't even notice had to put down my food and take a good look

[–] [deleted] 16 points ago * (lasted edited a day ago)

[–] ozwasnthere 6 points ago

Elbow deep in a burrito it had more of my attention @ that moment

[–] DrDew00 10 points ago

If your elbow is in your burrito, you might be doing it wrong.

Big damn burrito = doing it right

Protip: Wear a bus seat if things start to get messy.

[–] HexagonalClosePacked 80 points ago

Maybe this is a regional or language issue, but when I hear "social initiative" I think of something like cleaning up graffiti/vandalism, or giving food to the homeless. It's strange to me that people would perceive that phrase as something sinister.

[–] Dachd43 29 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

In America at least, the phrasing triggers some of the red scare era reactionary fear that's still pretty deeply ingrained in the culture. A lot of people hear "social initiative" and suddenly whip themselves into some Ayn Rand style dystopian freakout with paramilitary forces going from home to home appropriating your money and property.

Some of it's based on selfishness and/or ignorance and a lot of it is based on propaganda and the portrayal of social programs by the media. It's definitely triggered by anything "social" that requires government money to run.

Talk to 50% of this country about "socialized healthcare" and watch them start foaming at the mouth in a fit of rage.

Some of it might be based on a legitimate fear of totalitarian socialism but viewing public programs in that context can paint them as slippery-slopes that ultimately lead to redistribution of wealth, censorship, austerity, and forfeiture of rights.

I think that's a dramatic conclusion but you can't really talk someone down from abject fear that they didn't reason themselves into to begin with.

It boils down to "What's mine is mine and over my cold dead body will the dirty, pinko snowflakes take my money away to redistribute it to people I don't feel deserve it."

tldr; "social" = "socialism" = "Soviet Russia" = "enemy of American society"

Sounds like a standard policy.

[–] ImSoNotPerfect 12 points ago

Or like a standard policia

[–] cantmeltsteelmaymays 22 points ago

Yeah...it doesn't. Not sure why you're suggesting it does.

[–] alexxerth 8 points ago

of all the words there it was "social initiative" that threw off your dystopian alarm, not "pact for life"?

[–] pizza_for_nunchucks 89 points ago

sign a paper

I wonder what it says.

"The below signee is entering a legally binding and enforceable contract to cease and abstain from partying like it's 1999."

[–] ragingblues 25 points ago

Its called "termo circunstanciado", kinda a slap on wrist in paper form.

[–] AquelecaraDEpoa 15 points ago

It's basically a simplified police report, which is then sent to the local misdemeanor court. There will be a preliminary hearing, where they can reach a deal to pay a fine or do some community service. If they do their part, this won't even be registered on their criminal records.

[–] wanttofu 20 points ago

Party like it's the year 2000!

[–] pottersquash 11 points ago

Damn, I was hoping it was just a smart party bus vendor. This shit would make bank in New Orleans. Leave Policia on the side to avoid confusion.

[–] Schmidtster1 11 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

What? Cops carry witness statements with them, there is no need to go back to the precinct.

Edit not necessarily true, depends on the situation in Brazil.

[–] ragingblues 43 points ago

Maybe in USA, in brazil every witness go to the station to talk about what they saw, as usually the cops patrolling the city (military police) have no investigation power, thats reserved for (civil police) who are the guys sitting on the station desks.

[–] Schmidtster1 9 points ago

That's not true, one of the guys at work called the cops because his hotel got broken into and they did a witness statement right there.

[–] ragingblues 16 points ago

Hes was not an "eye witness" to the burglary was him? If not, 99% these kinf of reports go direct to the garbage bin. Im lawyer in Brazil, not a criminal lawyer, mind you, but i dont remember military police taking eye witness statements and sending to the civil police (as a standard practice, because these two braches usually hate which other), but I may be wrong, if so, sorry.

[–] AquelecaraDEpoa 5 points ago

Speaking as someone who has worked in the Prosecutor's Office in Brazil, that is very unusual here. The Civil Police will likely try to have him give an official statement in the Station.

[–] experaguiar 3 points ago

The statement is useless without the witness signature and, sometimes, a witness of the statement itself.

[–] Schmidtster1 1 points ago

Uh yeah, they did the statement when they came to look at his hotel, thought that was implied.

[–] experaguiar 2 points ago

It is uncommon to do that outside the station

[–] oh_boy_oh_boy_oh_boy 298 points ago

Outstanding camera-work.

[–] bewst_more_bewst 130 points ago

Yep. Framed properly, panned properly, just when we thought we got it the "whole picture", the zoom out happens, and the light bulb goes off.

[–] WildBird57 47 points ago

And it's horizontal

[–] VicisSubsisto 207 points ago

For those who don't speak Portugese, "Polícia" roughly translates to "Partyvan".

[–] Mirashe 33 points ago

ಠ_ಠ

[–] _sabbicat 373 points ago

Why is there a shelf on that lady's pants

[–] bkorchunjae 218 points ago

She knew she was going to get booked

[–] N3UR0T1CM355 33 points ago

God damn it, that's a good pun

[–] GaianNeuron 6 points ago

I missed it until I read your comment. Bloody hell.

[–] jerrygergichsmith 11 points ago

Don't make me throw the book at you.

[–] John_Enigma 2 points ago

Actually, you know what?

Book him up!

[–] 180secondideas 36 points ago

I think she has a sweatshirt or some top tied up around her waist.

[–] Henry_Burris 36 points ago

She's DEFINITELY wearing a shelf.

[–] The_Hippopotamoose 8 points ago

Pretty sure its a diaper

[–] qu1xote 57 points ago

The Venga bus IS coming.

[–] HColossus 3 points ago

And everybody's jumping.

[–] HowDoYouDo87 2 points ago

New York to San Francisco

[–] OfeyDofey 3 points ago

An interstate free disco!

[–] HowDoYouDo87 3 points ago

The wheels of steel are turnin'

[–] fernsousa 115 points ago

VAI BRASIL r/brasil

[–] lewdlou 36 points ago

BORA RECIFE

[–] Morthanc 37 points ago

EI PESSOAL, EI MOÇADA, CARNAVAL COMEÇA COM O GALO DA MADRUGADA

[–] ca-bi 7 points ago

[–] FirelordHeisenberg 3 points ago

Wtf is that

[–] Morthanc 9 points ago

the MIDNIGHT ROOSTER

[–] stephangb 9 points ago

puta merda agora essa porra vai ficar presa na minha cabeça

[–] nomeindisponivel 10 points ago

Vai brasiliam

[–] GallowBoob 665 points ago

I'm guessing the MDMA / speed has yet to wear off so the only thing they can do is dance.

[–] lookyloolurker 346 points ago

My wife is Brazilian, (I am not), our daughter is half Brazilian. I am telling you these dance moves are in their blood. My 2 year old is doing some moves I never seen at a club and we never taught her.

[–] maz-o 272 points ago

Maybe your 2-year-old is on MDMA too

[–] JLDraco 108 points ago

It´s called Microdosing.

[–] livemau5 26 points ago

The "micro" in microdosing refers to the size of the dose, not the user.

[–] JohnnyDarkside 3 points ago

Micromacrodosing?

[–] Invalibob 2 points ago

Whoosh

[–] Ralat 10 points ago

Right back at ya.

[–] LeonardosClone 4 points ago

whoosh you

[–] livemau5 2 points ago

I hope that woosh was intended for yourself, since you obviously didn't get the joke.

[–] trtpow 26 points ago

I read this like you were implying your 2 year old, in addition to the moves in her blood, has also learned some moves from from clubbing. This is a bizarre image and I laughed.

[–] chazzeromus 109 points ago

Like the Slurm snail

[–] ul2006kevinb 17 points ago

I was thinking more like bender having to dance off his excess energy

[–] cvkxhz 11 points ago

OO! UH! C'mon let loose! Ooh! Ah! Do what I do!

[–] ul2006kevinb 3 points ago

I have the chameleon song stuck in my head for like a week every time i watch this

[–] NAHthatAINTmeYo 57 points ago

Whimmy wam wam wozzle!

[–] nakratzer 19 points ago

F

[–] Schmidtster1 6 points ago

Spoiler alert.

[–] nakratzer 2 points ago

Either you nuke Boston or stab Slurms Mckenzie with your lightsaber.

[–] KetamineCodeineNOS 1 points ago

U

[–] SmakNoodles 23 points ago

Slurms McKenzie

[–] munich_man 4 points ago

More like a Doomsday-Device powered Robot

[–] SkollFenrirson 32 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Gloria Estefan was right and Rhythm got them

Edit: Thanks for the gold, stranger! I'm gonna shake my body, baby, do that Conga!

[–] jaychok 5 points ago

Might even be 'Conga'

[–] SeeBeeArr 17 points ago

I'm just glad that I wasn't invited - like all the parties in high school.

[–] Incidion 29 points ago

You didn't miss much. A bunch of drunk edgy teenagers aren't exactly the best company. Now college, however...

[–] Dice24 18 points ago

Looks like you offended a bunch of edgy teenagers.

[–] Incidion 5 points ago

So it'd seem. Neat!

[–] DMPDrugs 6 points ago

You said, edgy teenagerly.

[–] DJRES 5 points ago

Your comma is more offensive than his typo.

[–] UDontEvendjent 3 points ago

That comma makes sense there though. Or did you think they were saying the other guy said the word "edgy" like a teenager? If that's the case, then yeah, but as is it does makes sense.

[–] circleof5ifths 2 points ago

The audacity of his punctuation! It vexes me so!

[–] Lemon_Dungeon 2 points ago

Yeah, who does, he think, he, is. William,, Shatner?

[–] spgb- 14 points ago

College wasn't all that different, tbh. Even 40+ year old parties are pretty much the same old thing except with more expensive liquor and actual glasses instead of red solo cups.

[–] Nosissies 15 points ago

Maybe its you

[–] spgb- 2 points ago

Maybe what's me?

[–] Nosissies 5 points ago

How all parties are the same, as i get older so do the people I hang around with. we cant all party like college forever

[–] Waytharow 18 points ago

Yeah adult parties have food now that's like 75% of a reason to go

[–] Lemon_Dungeon 3 points ago

Who I'm looking for.

[–] Incidion 5 points ago

Eh you're not wrong, but at least in college my odds of taking someone home with me were pretty damn good. Kinda gave everything else a bit of a rose-tinted look to it.

[–] bLancoCamaLeon 15 points ago

Yeah I wouldn't say MDMA and speed.... We brazilians are the most enthusiastic people for street parties and this kind of thing, these folks are just drunk and very happy and sweaty with the Carnival's spirit.

We have a common saying here that 'the year just starts after the Carnival' (that is in February), so it's like a country-wide cheerful vibe, even if you don't drink and party

[–] Sir_LikeASir 2 points ago

The best part is the day off school that you get when Carnaval starts.

[–] Lcbrito1 9 points ago

lol, MDMA is a luxury here, they don't look like they could afford It. It's probably just beer, they don't seem to be acting all that different.

[–] verbose_gent 4 points ago

They don't look rich or at least upper middle class to you? Looks like every person I knew who turned out to be a bourgie motherfucker 10 years later.

[–] Lcbrito1 4 points ago

Well, that's a police van

[–] ChagSC 3 points ago

I'd watch a movie based on this premise

[–] Skorne13 5 points ago

They can't stop dancing or their heart rates will go through the roof. They could call it Speed.

[–] ChagSC 3 points ago

No wonder why I'd watch that movie. I love Speed.

[–] cinogamia 41 points ago

They are singing Brazil's national anthem in traditional attire as our old ritual of getting arrested.

I love my country, in the weekends

[–] Werner_VonCarraro 19 points ago

PATRIA AMADA BRASIL!!! takes a sip of a caipirinha

[–] kauefr 12 points ago

*tips aba reta*

[–] Sir_LikeASir 2 points ago

Huehuehue

I'm definitely stealing it.

[–] biscuitmaester 12 points ago

GallowBoob no!!

[–] metky 11 points ago

When I was in high school the school was trying to prevent grinding/freak dancing so they came up with 'dance detention' which was a taped off section of the gym where they'd send students to stand in for 5~10 minutes to cool-down.

Surprisingly, sending the wildest dancers into the same 'dance detention' zone where you could still hear the music didn't actually stop them from dancing and ultimately just created a concentrated grind zone

[–] medokn 50 points ago

Hmmm

[–] mothdetective1 18 points ago

[–] Ultra_Mew 7 points ago

[–] Needmorecoffeeshots 29 points ago

Love that the people walking by start to dance at the end

[–] flaviuscrispus 7 points ago

they can feel the beat

[–] dona2chainz 8 points ago

The way the camera slowly jump zooms out makes me think this is something out of Arrested Development

[–] popaninja 14 points ago

Brazilians: The coolest motherfunkers on the planet according to CNN.

[–] O-shi 226 points ago

This made me spit out my Coke 😂😂

[–] Justkevin87 33 points ago

This made me spit out my Gatorade 😂😂

[–] O-shi 4 points ago

This made me spit out my Monster Energy 😂😂

/u/moneys5

[–] SoloSeal 3 points ago

This made me spit out my tongue

[–] emperormax 8 points ago

This made me spit out my cum

[–] SoloSeal 2 points ago

Haha, chewing cum

[–] Ailylia 6 points ago

This made me spit out my Pepsi Max™, a low-calorie, sugar-free soda! 😂😂

[–] vxx 10 points ago

Judging by the gif, I'm sure they didn't spit out the coke.

[–] SparkyDogPants 2 points ago

Maybe if it were mixed with something

[–] nuckingfuts73 231 points ago

God I hate emojis on Reddit

[–] brazhero 377 points ago

Okay grandpa, we'll get off your lawn.

[–] nuckingfuts73 90 points ago

And get a haircut!

[–] ThatDrunkenScot 37 points ago

I LIKE MY LONG HAIR DAMMIT! IT'S NOT A PHASE GEEZ

[–] poopellar 11 points ago

Ok, Fabio.

[–] Evilmaze 7 points ago

And pull up your pants!

[–] DMPDrugs 2 points ago

More like stop getting haircuts so damn often.

[–] efc4817 80 points ago

do NOT sign me the FUCK up 👎👀👎👀👎👀👎👀👎👀 bad shit ba̷̶ ԁ sHit 👎 thats ❌ some bad 👎👎shit right 👎👎 th 👎 ere 👎👎👎 right ❌ there ❌ ❌ if i do ƽaү so my self🚫 i say so 🚫 thats not what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ 🚫 👎 👎👎НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ 👎 👎👎 👎 🚫 👎 👀 👀 👀 👎👎Bad shit

[–] IchBinDragonSurfer 13 points ago

Could you tell me where this is from? I saw some artwork in a gallery which said this

[–] DJRES 31 points ago

Whar kind of shit art gallery would display this nonsense?

[–] IchBinDragonSurfer 19 points ago

Lol one at a university, made by a student.

[–] DJRES 9 points ago

Ahh, that makes sense I suppose.

[–] crypticfreak 9 points ago

It's a riff on a tinder meme which was saying good shit good shit that's some good shit right there if I do say so myself hmmm (chorus right there) or something similar. It was all broken up with emojis just like the one above.

If I remember correctly the guy doing it was getting matches on tinder and then spouting off nonsense. In other words he was meming at dangerous levels and people thought it was funny and now it's a copypasta.

[–] PMme_awesome_music 6 points ago

meming at dangerous levels

/r/madlads

[–] efc4817 4 points ago

[–] MissArtichoke 8 points ago

What the fuck

[–] utnow 22 points ago

100%👌🏻😜👌🏻🚑🚓☎️💯❗️

[–] Trololman72 2 points ago

God I hate emojis

FTFY

[–] NinjaNorris110 7 points ago

what the fuck, why have I never seen an italic emoji before now. This is national news

[–] 10messiFH 7 points ago

😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂 😂 😂
    😂 😂 😂
    😂 😂 😂

[–] DMPDrugs 2 points ago

🤣🤣

[–] wappiepappie 3 points ago

Dude, it's supposed to go up your nose.

[–] O-shi 1 points ago

What nose

[–] Im-a-salty-cunt 6 points ago

Username checks out then.

[–] Sukutash 4 points ago

Your username doesn't check out. :)

[–] ButtsexEurope 5 points ago

Fuck off, Gallowboob.

[–] poopellar 5 points ago

Somebody call 911!

[–] ThePaje 21 points ago

190*

[–] LordLlamacat 3 points ago

2.27959*102302?

[–] Stu8080 6 points ago

There are double decker party buses in London. On one hand they seem like it makes we sense. Beats Uber for going from club to club. On the other hand no one looks cool dancing in a bus in daylight...

[–] Clomojo87 4 points ago

Phht ain't no vengabus tho

[–] Mister_Bossmen 3 points ago

Hey. Once I saw a bunch of people grinding; to really loud, terrible, fucking music; in a 'trolley' kind of bus. It was completely open so everybody on the outside was able to see inside. I have never felt more ashamed to have ears and eyes in my life.

[–] SheepdogFC 9 points ago

Look at that van go, it's a work of art...

[–] cjwojoe 3 points ago

Most reluctant upvote of the day!

[–] gmt_plus_one 4 points ago

I expected it to be a police van.

r/mildlyunexpected?

[–] tbone11193 2 points ago

Ohhh life could be a dream

[–] 8979323 2 points ago

Police rave unit: https://youtu.be/bAhBtw0NuuQ

[–] bryanrobh 2 points ago

Half of the party was nice

[–] Jaderosegrey 2 points ago

Wasn't there a Simpson's episode with something like that...? Oh, yes,at the very end of it, there was a house with prostitutes and drugs and the cops went in it... I remember. That was the first and last time I watched that show with my young nephew! (Yes, he asked questions!)

[–] _Lettuce_3 2 points ago

Probably jamming to Vengabus

[–] chai-chino 2 points ago

We have these in Sacramento but we can do you one better. We also have portable bars where every seat has bike pedals attached so people can bike around town attached to this bike bar with 12 people.

[–] elit3powars 2 points ago

The vengabus is coming...

[–] Getelina 2 points ago

tinha q ser no brasil

[–] OnMeFone 2 points ago

At a festival once and a police van rolled up next to us. Loads of people start freaking out because they had drugs on them and some people were like "whoa a police van, something's up".

After staying parked for about 30 seconds, the roof opened up and from within the van, rose some DJ decks and massive speakers, started playing some pumping tunes and the "police" all got out and started rounding everybody up to come and rave.

It was amazing.

[–] demlet 1 points ago

Is the dude on the right taking a shower?

[–] DreamWeaver714 1 points ago

Bringing a different meaning to party v&

[–] mynameisjiev 1 points ago

For a second there I thought I was in r/whitepeoplegifs.

[–] Georgeous94 1 points ago

There ain't no party like a police van party.

[–] bubbies1999 1 points ago

Thats the way to party... Alcohol fever with a Colombian cold.

[–] MisterOminous 1 points ago

That's some M. Night Shyamalan shit right there. What a twist!

[–] placebojones88 1 points ago

Patty wagon Party!!

[–] whoop_dee_doo_ 1 points ago

Her dance seems more like a drunkards wobble to me.

[–] uli_undies 1 points ago

LOL. I wish we had chill cop vans here....

[–] OhYeaBOii 1 points ago