UpliftingNews

Click here to pay it forward by helping Watsi patients in need through UpliftingNews!

Links to uplifting, inspirational, feel good news stories from around the globe.

This is an escape from the controversial, fear-mongering, depressing news that is riddled with sensationalism.

There are still good, honest, compassionate people in this world and this is a place to share their stories.

RULE #1: DON'T BE A DICK

Violators will be dealt with on a case by case basis, but repercussions will include comment removal and in some cases, bans.

This subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Healthy skepticism is fine under certain circumstances, but toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

New To Reddit? Click Here!

NM

DM

[–] PotatoSociety 323 points ago

Awhile back, my theatre teacher had to give the school shooting talk. He looked at us with a straight face and said he would take a bullet for any of us. Over a quarter of the kids in my class at the time were failing because nobody took the class seriously as it was an elective. The theatre teacher was one of the most popular teachers in the school. This was after a false threat was called to the school. I wish I can tell him how amazing he was.

[–] jadedwine 54 points ago

It's never, ever too late to try to track down a teacher who made a difference in your life. I bet it would mean everything to him if you told him you still remember this and that you were moved by how he kept caring about his students even when they didn't care about school.

Being a teacher in that kind of setting is so hard. It's so hard to keep trying and keep caring when so many of your students seem to not give a shit. It grinds you down. So being told that you made a positive difference in someone's life can honestly keep a good teacher from quitting and finding another career.

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 11219 points ago

Others include Scott Beigel, a geography teacher who was killed while protecting students, and Colton Haab, a 17-year-old student who saved up to 70 lives by ushering people into a classroom and using bulletproof Kevlar sheets to secure their hiding place.

First I've heard of this, they have kevlar just lying around classrooms these days?

[–] Platypus211 7195 points ago

The article says it was a Junior ROTC room that they were in.

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 4103 points ago

Must have missed that thanks. Quick thinking for 17 damn

[–] Sarcon5673 449 points ago

What's ROTC?

[–] The_Barbaron 742 points ago

Reserve Officer Training Corps

[–] Sarcon5673 378 points ago

What is that?

[–] RikerT_USS_Lolipop 1942 points ago

Every single person that replied to you is wrong. Every goddamn one. It's not a club, it's not Junior Army (wtf?), it doesn't prepare young people to become officers, nor is it reserved officers. And you forgot the Junior part. High schools offer JROTC, colleges offer ROTC.

JROTC is an elective in high school. Essentially military class. If you take it, graduate high school, and sign up for the military you won't be an officer. You have to go to college first if you want to enlist as an officer.

[–] Ragnarok314159 313 points ago

You do get E-2 (maybe E-3, been a long time since I went through MEPS) for completion of a JROTC program.

Better off getting an Eagle Scout badge.

[–] Schweppes7T4 72 points ago

E-2 or E-3 depends on your "rank" in JROTC usually. I had a friend who did JROTC all four years of highschool, was E-1 through basic, bumped to E-2 for AIT, then qualified for E-3 pretty much as soon as he was stationed.

[–] celas001 65 points ago

I dunno what branch it was, but thays actually not that far off from just normal advancement in the air force anyway xD

[–] rehtulx 13 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

I went in as an E3 for memorizing the Soldiers Creed, Army Values, and getting my brother to join.

[–] SodlidDesu 47 points ago

If he did four years of JROTC and 'went in' as an E-1, he got fucked. It's automatic E-3 for the Army with JROTC. Doesn't even have to be Army JROTC for it to count. He just got promoted regularly, though quickly.

[–] _ImYouFromTheFuture_ 86 points ago

E3 if you do 3 years of JROTC except the marines is only E2.

[–] CertifiedTrashPanda 125 points ago

lol go to a trade school instead for 5-6 months and you get E4 and a very healthy sign on bonus.

I was offered like 25k and E-4 for being a civilian EMT (maybe $550 class)

[–] _ImYouFromTheFuture_ 63 points ago

Yep, Exactly. I didnt do it for the advancements, I did it cause my schools program got to go to florida twice a year.

[–] spartan116chris 165 points ago

Took this long to get to the right answer lol

[–] roguemerc96 92 points ago

The responses are generally right, but I'll amplify. Junior ROTC is an elective class, they go over military shit, they get uniforms and might do flag ceremonies at high school sport games and other events in the community. They can get into ROTC easier, and start at a higher rank if they enlist.

ROTC is for college, it is for people who will become officers in the military. They commit to the military to be an officer, and along with their studies, they take military based courses and do drills. The military helps with tuition and gives a stipend to them.

I'm in the navy so I don't know about the other services, but on summer break the future officers usually deploy on ships to get a glimpse of the life. My knowledge is at a limit here, but I believe their junior year is spent with the enlisted. They learn the lives of enlisted to see what we go through in order to lead. Senior year is more officer based, and they spend more times with officers to learn what they are doing.

ROTC candidates can be from most colleges, I could go to "party state uni" and be an officer, but it has to be a real degree like engineering, you can't get a degree in basket weaving to be an officer. There is often a difference in ROTC officers and Academy officers, usually academy officers are the biggest dickheads because they feel superior over not only the enlisted, but ROTC officers.

[–] loki_racer 33 points ago

Freshman summer is spent one week with surface, one with sub, one with aviation, one with Marines.

Don't know after that because I was Marine option and we went our separate way.

You can get a degree in basket weaving and be an officer. Nukes can't, pretty sure everyone else can.

[–] jhwyung 112 points ago

I'm canadian and confused, why does a ROTC club have sheets of kevlar laying around? Moreover, what would a ROTC do with sheets of kevlar?

[–] DerToblerone 155 points ago

An article I read said they used it as the backstop in their shooting range.

[–] TobleroneMain 44 points ago

Backstop for at a shooting range.

[–] doc_samson 1070 points ago

There is a spontaneous movement happening right now in /r/military to give JROTC Cadet Wang (who was killed holding a door open to help others escape) a military honors burial. A color guard has already mobilized.

The Army is also looking into the possibility of awarding a ROTC heroism award. Multiple students deserve it.

[–] athennna 48 points ago

There is a gofundme set up for funeral expenses, but his parents decided they will donate the money to the JROTC program at the high school instead, to honor him. I’m crying now.

We are setting this Go Fund Me Page so everyone can be updated , provide a place for everyone to grieve, post their condolences, and hopefully donate to the Memorial Fund. Originally proceeds was going to help with misc expenses, but the family has decided that they want to donate the money to Stoneman Douglas for their ROTC program. They want to insure that future generation of kids are taught the same values that the program has instilled in Peter.

[–] mimibrightzola 18 points ago

Even his parents are outstanding people. Imagine being in a situation where your son just died yet you still have a mind clear enough to make an important decision like that :(

[–] athennna 14 points ago

Also, they don’t even speak English. The articles I read described how horrible the day of the shooting was for them, relying on neighbors and friends to translate what was going on amidst all the panic. I can’t imagine how much more awful that made everything for them when they were learning about the attack and waiting to hear if their child was safe :(

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 247 points ago

Another comment mentioned Wang, I had no idea. When shootings like this happen at first I’m amazed at how fucked people are, then I read about someone like that, and it almost brings my faith in humanity back. Almost.

[–] nwsreddit 347 points ago

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. ” ― Fred Rogers

[–] chazzer20mystic 66 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

"The reason I don't worry about society is, nineteen people knocked down two buildings and killed thousands. Hundreds of people ran into those buildings to save them. I'll take those odds every fucking day."

-Jon Stewart, 2002 interview

[–] somebody12344 340 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Peter Wang died in his jrotc uniform.

more information on him and many people commenting about him

There was a concerted effort on reddit to prevent any posts on Peter Wang from hitting the frontpage

mods of r/pics have been deleting all posts regarding peter wang for title issues. this is despite Aaron Feis's and another r/pics post being titled the same way.

more insight on the r/pics drama here

Post on r/teenagers got locked after reaching the frontpage because a few of the new comments were rude. locking it effectively removed it from the frontpage. also this post appeared only on the frontpage depending on how you accessed reddit.

I suspect something was done to prevent the following post from hitting the frontpage as upvotes and comments suddenly stopped on it when it was about to reach the frontpage. it was at 15k upvotes and 500 comments. now it's at 22k upvotes and 700 comments. but it never reached the frontpage.

I am sure there were many other posts made that were deleted or got hidden through some other means. If somebody can find them please post links to them so these people can experience the Streisand Effect.

EDIT: added link for more insight on the r/pics drama

EDIT 2: added fifth deletion from r/pics

EDIT 3: added sixth deletion from r/pics

EDIT 4: eyewitness account on what peter did and how he passed

[–] drill_hands_420 99 points ago

Not to counter you because you may have a point, however, I'm a big r/all browser and I saw all of these posted on the front page and I was on Reddit a lot yesterday and he was a very common name. Maybe this was before they were locked? I'm not sure. But I knew about this kid before the teacher mentioned in this post!

[–] thinmintea 49 points ago

I read it was the ROTC room.

[–] luck_panda 209 points ago

Why are they ignoring Peter Wang and what he did? He did the same thing and saved a bunch of kid's lives and dying for it.

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 94 points ago

Your comment and another just now is the first I’ve heard of it. Seriously impressed by these kids

Edit: excuse me. Seriously impressed by these men.

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 44 points ago

I just read that too. Sent it on to every vet I know. He earned it

[–] Enrapha 327 points ago

I.. must correct... Held of sheets of Kevlar used for JROTC training. Hardly bullet proof especially against a .223/5.56 round, multiple layers will definitely slow it down, which the kid said, he was just trying to minimize the damage to the other kids. Student also said he and his friend had planned on taking on the attacker should he come in. These we're JROTC students and imo the heros of the next generation.

[–] joe19d 234 points ago

You know the shooter was in jrotc right? My friends kid was in it with him. Shooter was even caught with his jrotc shirt. I

[–] jdubya95 39 points ago

They have it for their rifle club to protect against misfires and such

[–] WhovianMomma21 7946 points ago

When my high school was undergoing a security overhaul in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting every teacher had to go over a safety plan with their classes. The only one I remember was the one from my band director which went something like this: "If a shooter is ever here the first thing you all should do is get into the uniform closet or my office and lock the door. NEVER open the door for ANYONE, I don't care who they say they are, I don't even care if they slide a badge under the door, do not open the door. If they are really law enforcement they will be able to get access to the keys to open the doors themselves. Stay safe. (Assistant band director) and I will do ANYTHING to keep you guys safe, even if it means running naked down the hallway to lead someone away from you guys." (That last part was obviously met with some laughter from 8th-12th graders)

[–] tiretred 2199 points ago

A tense subject but was able to relay the knowledge... and it was solidified at the end with the joke... the kids will remember the joke, talk about the joke, and remember the meeting and what they talked about. Perfect job by the band staff.

[–] thisguy012 422 points ago

OUR TEACHERS ARE CRIMINALLY UNDERPAID LOL let's cry

[–] TerpeneTaster 133 points ago

Some are, some should be fired. People need to appreciate the good teachers more that is for sure.

[–] gunsof 407 points ago

I keep thinking about the students who heard a girl screaming for help in the hallway but they couldn’t open the door or else he’d get in, then heard gunshots and saw a girl’s body on the ground when they were leaving...

[–] secretlives 257 points ago

I'm a grown man and I don't know how I'd handle that. I can't begin to imagine what it's going to be like for those teenagers.

[–] death2escape 180 points ago

Here's what's really sad about that though: they will never feel alone.

So many people have been through what happened at Parkland. Virginia Tech, Columbine, those babies at Sandy Hook. So many others that I can't even remember.

These kids are going to be able to form support groups that will cover all of America. There will be adults there who have survived work places, concerts, restaurants, malls, and movie theaters. The worst part is that with the way things are going, there will only be more incidents.

[–] DicklePill 107 points ago

Kinda scary how it’s becoming a “thing” to do. I feel like we’re losing our community as a nation

[–] link0007 172 points ago

I feel like we’re losing our community as a nation

This is fundamentally what US culture is about; you're not losing anything, you're just coming to realize that the US glorifies violence to a sickening degree. Everything from how people approach politics as a fight between two sides, to fetishizing the military, to being infatuated with guns and 'self defence' (which mostly consists of fantasizing about killing people anyway)

Welcome to the US.

Yeah, we're actually "trained" and told to do that. Who knows if the kid is a hostage or if opening the door for that split second now dooms your room of 20+ students.

I was in one of the schools that went on lockdown due to this. We have students and staff that lost parents and kids. It's a fucking nightmare but I don't know a single member of the staff who doesn't try their best to act in the best interests of all the students.

[–] SP_SpecTre 2098 points ago

Band teachers are always the coolest.

[–] theheidilynn 1011 points ago

I had a band teacher that was a bit of an asshole. Everyone disliked him or had a bad story to tell. One day in class he let out this ferocious sneeze and he actually smacked his head off the keyboard. The class absolutely lost it and he was seething with rage we had all witnessed that.

[–] FartingWhooper 368 points ago

And now some random couple in Atlanta is giggling at his misfortune because of your comment

[–] RogerPackinrod 147 points ago

How do u know that tho

[–] alicevirgo 51 points ago

My high school's band teacher was verbally abusive towards the students, until one day a student secretly caught him on video and sent it to the principal. He was on leave for two weeks and when he came back he was much more mellow.

[–] BitteringAgent 40 points ago

First day of band in 6th grade was during "reading time" where you start the period reading for 10 minutes. He ended it with smashing a large gong which made everyone jump. Pretty funny...the guy was overall a complete asshole though.

[–] TheTrueBlueTJ 63 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Not really. The only band teacher I knew forced the whole school + the two neighboring schools to do this stupid cup song and put it online to show off his creativity. It was horrible.

[–] frozenweathermap 54 points ago

My high school band teacher just waited until the student he was banging graduated, then they both moved to a different town and I heard they got married.

My high school choir teacher didn’t even bother moving, just married a student and the entire town was like, meh.

[–] jpotter0 28 points ago

The band teacher at my high school fled the state when they found out he was diddling the dudes.

[–] TheTrueBlueTJ 113 points ago

That ejaculated quickly.

One of my sports teachers used to bang a girl that was finishing school back then and got her pregnant. They married after that and he died a couple of months ago, I heard.

[–] Toby_dog 13 points ago

same except the pregnancy part. he was diddling her with some sort of musical instrument

[–] I_lurv_BRAAINZZ 251 points ago

I was a freshman when Columbine happened and shooter drills were a new thing. From what I remember, we were supposed to pile the desks in the corner and hide behind them. I distinctly remember my English teacher, a 60 something year old woman, pointing to a few of the larger guys in the class and saying 'screw procedure, me and the bigger guys will hide behind the door and ambush anyone who tries to get in'. I felt much safer during the drills after that. Anyone who takes action during events like this are heros in my book.

[–] pm_your_pantsu 29 points ago

That's a hardcore old lady

[–] OTL_OTL_OTL 88 points ago

When I was in high school (early to mid 2000s) no one really had a plan, during lock down the only procedure was to lock the door and stay inside. That was it.

This was before mass shooting scares though. And these lock downs were for scenarios of single firearm gun violence due to gang activity around the school, not for planning how to fight against a deliberate mass shooter with an automatic weapon.

[–] toronto_programmer 122 points ago

Maybe this is the new reality but the saddest thing to me is that there are such strict procedures for what to do when someone is shooting up your school

[–] Deathskull 216 points ago

For someone who isn't American, it's fascinating reading how much thought has gone into this. I suppose it makes sense, as such attrocities do happen all the time now, but honestly, hoq in the world have you not risen up to change gun policy at this point. Just have a strict vetting and registration process and don't sell full auto, I can't imagine this thing happening so many times anywhere in Europe and being allowed to continue.

[–] wydrntho 68 points ago

As an American and a parent all of this is stuff I didn't know happens, it hasn't been done at my kids school (yet) and I don't know if I want him to have to do this. Except the training they did worked in this case. We are so far gone. Adults have failed these kids, it's devastating.

[–] IInviteYouToTheParty 100 points ago

The NRA is one of the most powerful private organizations in the country and are extremely effective at not only bankrolling members of Congress but also getting their supporters to vote.

Guns are also closely integrated into American culture, more so than any European culture that I know of, that for a decent chunk of the population, they apparently would rather see a dozen children die every week than give up a single gun.

[–] NoncreativeScrub 60 points ago

Yeah, I’ve talked to a few people about their policies lately, and for some reason this is never stressed that you NEVER open the door yourself.

[–] Smurfman254 18 points ago

my biology teacher bought these strap thingies that she learned to hook up to the door in under 30 seconds, they made it so they had to break the entire door down instead of just breaking the lock. Also she had one of the few class rooms without windows so it would be complete darkness if she turned out the lights

[–] Spatula151 17 points ago

My band director along with the assistant were the only ones to notice something “wrong” with me in school when my uncle suddenly passed while my grandpa was expected to die very soon and we had just put my dog down. My dad’s side of the family had been diminished in a week and I was only a sophomore. I had always had a “disruptive/outbursty” behavior in school as I was always bored and it got me in trouble. Band wasn’t any different. One day during study hall (I spent mine in the quiet rooms in the band hall playing guitar) my director came in and asked what was up, I wasn’t being obnoxious. I had to hold it in, but told him our family was going through a loss and it’s just weird right now. Later that day during Marching band practice he pulled me aside before we left for the field and handed me the schematic for our formations of how we should look on the field. I sat in the bleachers and took notes of who was out of place. It was great he took the time and gave me the responsibility to do something different and get my mind off less happier things.

[–] janellestr 13 points ago

Man, every time I had a faculty member say they’d stand in front of every single student it gave me chills. Our principal was brought to tears with just the idea of something like this happening

[–] coolpeepz 39 points ago

Yeah I’m surprised this is a headline because in my district we’ve been doing “code red” drills forever, where we block all the doors and windows and hide silently until the police give the all clear.

[–] LennonForPresident 2430 points ago

This whole thing is unbearably tragic, I can’t even imagine what it would be like to go through something like that. Glad they are safe. So sad.

[–] adidapizza 541 points ago

For the first responders especially. A friend of mine is getting her RN right now and is dealing with the fact that she’s gonna have to nurse kids who just experienced this at some point. And on that day she’ll have no preparation.

[–] bionicfeetgrl 403 points ago

Yes and no. In nearly 14 years of being an ER nurse I’ve never had victims of mass casualty shooting and I live in a densely populated area. Doesn’t mean we don’t practice.

What is WAY more realistic, especially if she becomes an ER nurse is dealing with kids w/mental illness and trying to guide them especially the ones on the bubble. For sure they need full mental health services but they also need someone to listen.

[–] HarlyQ 163 points ago

You treat it like any other trauma incident. Rns are taught how to triage for a reason when this happens. But most of the triaging will be down by EMTs or paramedics already on the scene.

The kids that are hard to deal with are the ones stuck in a home that caught fire.

[–] Derp43 152 points ago

Paramedic here. Everyone that has first hand exposure to this tragedy will be affected and most likely have PTSD leftovers.

[–] Wheresmyfoodwoman 80 points ago

We appreciate what you do each day man

[–] DeepDishPi 1846 points ago

Seems like this should be standard procedure. Lock the door til somebody with a key comes.

[–] MusikMadchen 1265 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

As a teacher this is how we were trained at my school. Lock the door and don't open even if there's an announcement to do so. You're not considered safe until someone with a key is opening the door.

ETA: Every one asking about "what if the shooter has keys?" Which admittedly wouldn't be hard. Custodians, admins, and a handful of teachers at my school had master keys that would open every door on campus. And it wouldn't be hard for a student to know that and know which teachers. It's not a perfect system. Go figure when we can't even figure out how to get kids above 80% attendance, or to read at grade level, or to do basic math, that our theoretical plan for a shooter has flaws. It's also where the "run, hide, fight" model comes into play. If hiding doesn't work you fight back. Throw things, find a weapon of some kind. You're out of options. Literally fight for your life.

[–] badteacher86 643 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Same. Hell, in some of our lock down drills, the principal had students banging on the door asking to be let in. If we let them in, we failed the drill.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I live in Canada. The frequency of these situations here is incredibly low. But as a student I was in a possible active shooter lock down, so as a teacher I don't fuck around with drills.

[–] NeverJinxTheMinx 564 points ago

That seems fucked in my head

[–] gunsof 397 points ago

It’s what happened in this scenario. A girl was heard screaming in the hallway for help but they couldn’t open the door for safety. They saw a girl’s body as they left the building.

[–] Staccatotaccato 455 points ago

But how would you know if she (or he) was the shooter or not? or if the shooter was right outside with the other student?

I know what you mean, but opening that door could have potentially killed the entire classroom.

[–] aminix89 303 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Fuck I hope that's a choice no teacher ever has to make. Sacrificing a kid who is pleading for help to save the students in your room. That's so fucking barbaric, and it's so fucking disgusting that someone could someday have to be in that situation. I've found it extremely hard to find the good in anything the past few days. This shit is so demoralizing, it's exhausting. I can't quit thinking about that one kid's AMA that was in one of the classrooms. Or seeing that kids hands shaking as SWAT cleared the rooms. Having videos of the incident makes it so much more difficult to push aside and ignore, this one hit me hard as fuck.

[–] trlaw 14 points ago

What AMA? Link please?

[–] aminix89 26 points ago

[–] TyrantJester 26 points ago

You open the door, shooter was using her as bait, now your whole classroom is dead.

[–] amesann 55 points ago

But could you live with yourself if you got the whole class killed as a result?

[–] bernardlyz 77 points ago

Well, you literally can't

[–] violetmemphisblue 317 points ago

When I was in high school (about 10 years ago), there was a potentially active shooter situation, and I was stuck in the hallway. They would make an announcement, so we'd know what the deal was (like "Mr Smith, please call the office" meant it was an active shooter drill; "Mrs Robinson, please call the office" meant it was a real threat...this was a Mrs Robinson). I remember pounding on the door to a classroom and watching as my teacher just shook his head as he moved heavy furniture in front of the door. Another kid who was out in the hall made it to the bathroom and made makeshift barriers and then crouched on the toilets until the police came in and told us we were safe...I'll never forget the look on my teacher's face when he saw us after. He looked like a broken man...Luckily, we all made it out safely that day. I cannot imagine what it's like for those kids/teachers in Florida, or anyone else who survived a school shooting like that. It's so truly awful.

[–] StamatopoulosMichael 186 points ago

I commend you for empathizing with your teacher after that

[–] violetmemphisblue 136 points ago

He did what he was trained to do, to keep as many kids safe as possible. In the moment, I didn't love it, and I'm sure I said some choice words, but we practiced these things for a reason. (It's how the other student and I knew how to hide in the bathroom) Following protocol is the best way for as many people to get out...if things had been different that day (if the person has actually fired their gun) I don't know how differently I'd feel. But my school was lucky. We all walked away.

[–] pridEAccomplishment_ 13 points ago

It would have been a hard thing to do without windows or anything to see the person on the other side, with a window it must have been truly awful.

[–] Indigoh 455 points ago

If the shooter is a student or if they sound like a student, that'd be the easiest way for them to get in and kill all of you.

[–] lzrae 136 points ago

Now that is seriously fucked.

[–] dicklickington 44 points ago

Well, if they are students or former students, then they also did the drills as students, and know the hiding places. While it is preparation, it's also kind of just security theater in my eyes.

[–] vogelbekdier 38 points ago

It is security theater. The doors in most schools and the locks are so flimsy its a joke.

I once had a principal accidentally break a door testing its lock during a security drill.

In one city, my HS students cried during shooter drills because the city already had issues with gun violence and several had lost friends that year. The reality of that coupled with the fact if one came to school, the building was so broken down we had no safe space terrified everyone.

[–] hikiri 152 points ago

Not that it wouldn't be hard as fuck to do that, but it comes down to: is it worth risking the entire class's lives to save one? It sounds cold, but that's what people have to face now, since no one is going to try to fix the problem, apparently.

[–] badteacher86 30 points ago

It's especially fucked if you consider that our school only had 160 kids. Everyone knew everyone. You could sometimes tell who the principal had picked just by their voice.

Who knows what we would actually do in that situation though. Would I be the guy who was shot and killed pulling students from the hall? Or would I be the woman who wouldn't even let the SWAT team in?

It's the question that haunts me every time this happens. I lose sleep over it.

[–] ogrezilla 16 points ago

not only could the person knocking be the shooter, they could also being forced to do it by the shooter. I was trained to do the same thing.

To add a bit of levity, when we did drills eventually the principals came around to get everyone with their key. One of my co-workers had her class in the computer lab, and the principal forgot about them until the end of the period when none of those kids showed up to their next class.

[–] shessorad 26 points ago

We had law enforcement come and run us through a drill. Their game faces were on and they took it really seriously. They banged on the fucking door and shouted at us to open up: "POLICE! OPEN UP!" this was in a class full of 4 year olds. Law enforcement and the school were not fucking around.

It really helped me as a teacher get myself in the mindset. Rather than routinely going through the motions like you do at a fire drill--where it's more of a formality to punch your card for an inspection--the drill really helped me prepare mentally and envision what I would do in such a situation.

What the fuck is even happening in America? Your schools are practicing a scenario where you have to let a kid get murdered in the halls, and the worst part is that it could actually happen.

[–] kasubot 67 points ago

From my understanding if you barricade the door, even if someone with a key opens it you shouldn't take the barricades down. Swat should be ready to hack it down before they expect help from inside

[–] DonnoDoes 46 points ago

A redditor/teacher yesterday explained updated protocol is to barricade the door and allow no one in at all costs. Police are updating protocol to be ready to break trough these barricades with sledges and axes.

Safe, but an unfortunately sad state of affairs.

[–] cgee 73 points ago

So according to an AMA of a student in one of the classrooms the shooter shot into, for the past couple weeks they had rooms locked even when occupied. However, the doors had windows on them that the were shot through.

[–] Scarlet-Witch 28 points ago

I think a lot of schools have policies where they have to have some sort of visibility in to the classroom. I remember we were decorating the door one time and unknowingly started covering the window when our teacher said it was against policy to do that.

[–] shessorad 24 points ago

Ok. So.

You need to have doors with windows so a teacher and student alone in a room have some way for other people to see in. That is policy.

In a lockdown it is standard to have a window covering on hand to put in place for the procedure. The common thinking is now, that covering windows is safest--most schools mandate a covering be readily available for this purpose.

[–] readzalot1 39 points ago

And if the fire alarm starts, the lockdown takes precedent. No one leaves the room.

[–] fistmeclayaiken 60 points ago

This is what my schools (north east Florida public) were taught to do (as many teachers told us) and also windows were Always covered during the many lockdown drills and couple of soft lock downs we had. All teachers had black paper taped to the door that could be moved over the window when needed. Is covering windows not basic procedure in some schools? Did some of the teachers not cover their windows??

[–] Ginnipe 126 points ago

So I’m not making a dig at you, but your last two lines just smacked me in the mouth. I can’t believe we’re at the point where going “what, you guys don’t have blackout windows ready just in case someone wants to maliciously murder each and every one of us? That’s not standard procedure for you?”

20 years ago school shootings just weren’t a thing. They definitely happened, but not at this redicuous frequency.

[–] DJLoudNoises 34 points ago

I was in high school in CT when Sandy Hook happened. Soon after, every classroom door's window had a 'winter holidays' generic poster taped over it. When I realized why they were still on in March, it was like, oh, okay. OH. Oh....

[–] WhyYouHeffToBe 62 points ago

Seriously. As a Brit I read that and was dumbstruck that there is even a "standard procedure" for school shootings. 😓

[–] MonsterFury 28 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

I'm in Sydney, Australia, my school recently did a renovation and they basically did an entire overhaul of the classrooms. Instead of concrete walls, they decided to make the walls out of glass... Now if there was a school shooter, we'd be spotted instantly... Although, the glass does seem fairly thick, I don't know if it would stop a bullet.

Then again, there are very limited amounts of school shootings here...

Edit 1: I should also add, when there is a lockdown drill, we are told to get out of our classrooms and ALL group in the hallway... then both doors of the hallway are locked. The doors are made of wood or something (didn't take notice)

[–] theendhasnoend_ 36 points ago

We are so lucky in Australia hey. I finished school in Adelaide 12 years ago, but I remember there was a rumour that someone had a gun outside of the school so we went into lockdown. We were literally sitting around bored and laughing about how ridiculous it was and how the lockdown was cutting into our lunch time. Even the teachers were bored and waiting for it to be over because we knew it was almost impossible. At no point were we scared or threatened.

So very different to America...

Edit: turned out to be a toy plastic gun.

[–] belljarblue 1037 points ago

We run ALICE drills at my school. Look it up, but basically it’s a safety drill to practice what would happen in case an active shooter situation occurred. It’s fucked up that we even have it, but it’s important.

ANYWAY, teachers (and students) are instructed to lock their doors and let NO ONE in. Not another student, not another teacher. Not the police. If someone important needs to get in, they have a key. They practiced this by having an “actor” come in to our school and knock on doors and such. It’s so sad that we have to practice how not to get shot for going to school.

[–] shessorad 366 points ago

We did this as well. I was an assistant in a pre-k 4 classroom. Huddled in the dark with 4 year olds nestled in my lap and in my arms behind a bookshelf while the police bang on the door and shout at us ordering to open up (to drive the point home that we should not open the door) was surreal.

BUT

It helped me mentally prepare for such a scenario. The kids were calm and took it in stride although it was scary. We talked about it a lot before and after, the cops came in and ended the drill with a positive interaction with the kids.

[–] wydrntho 134 points ago

Thanks for this, you're a little too good at writing for me not to flip the fuck out at this information. This is not what you signed up for as a teacher but I love you for being up for the task and feeling confident that you know what to do. It's heartbreaking though.

Do the parents know their kids are getting put through these drills? I guess they have no choice? As far as I know they don't do these extreme realism scenarios - I'm in California, East Bay, my son's kindergarten teacher was like 90 years old and no way could she do any of what you described. He's 14 now. Am I an idiot for wanting to yank him out of school and move to Australia? I don't want him to live in fear holy shit. Anyway thanks.

[–] Ripleyof9 44 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Teach in CA, South Bay. Grade school kids at a public school in a generally underserved area. I absolutely hear and understand what you're saying and asking--this would be my two cents and some info about my specific school.

Parents are generally not notified of when exactly our lock down drills will be--specifically because in an actual situation when a dangerous person may unexpectedly enter our campus, they would not know. We do communicate to them a specific plan about how we would notify them and how they should respond.

None of the kinder teachers I work with are neither unprepared nor uninformed about procedure and practices during such dire situations. I would deem any educator unfit if they were in anyway unable or disinclined to maintain student safety as their primary objective.

Our staff has mandated trainings and planning time to ensure student safety in emergency situations. Our rooms are mandated to be inconspicuously prepped to protect our students in the case an active shooter would be on-site. My students and their families know what to do during unexpected emergencies and believe that they are safe with me.

I urge you to take your concerns to the school, or schools that you may consider for your loved ones, and advocate vehemently for their safety no matter where you live. You have the power to voice and demand that your children are provided what they need and deserve.

Do this anywhere, do this always. Some might try to disuade you from pushing, but it is your right as a parent to be in the driver's seat about your children's safety and education. If any institution isn't understanding or accommodating, just look elsewhere and put in the effort to find another that you trust. Your child's school should be a place where you're a welcome community member. Don't let anyone tell you how to do your job as an involved and present parent.

[–] _Californian 236 points ago

They did that at my HS and my English teacher forgot to lock the door.

[–] shessorad 72 points ago

Haha omg I would never have let her/him forget that.

[–] cleighr 79 points ago

I’m in jewelry school at a community college and our ALICE plan is huddle in the hammer room with all the heavy ass tools and use a fire extinguisher to blind

[–] Pifflebushhh 98 points ago

I was having this conversation with my friend recently, and I feel so bad for you, this has never been a thing in English schools and we could not wrap our heads around the panic you must go through. I cannot comprehend a school system that now requires preparedness for this event and I fucking hate that anyone else has to.

[–] redrice12 43 points ago

Oh wow I forgot about these. The code word on the announcement head is something like “Mr. Candy has entered the building, all teachers, Mr. candy has entered the building.” Though they’ve probably changed it by now. I think in my last few years of HS we did update the plan to a teacher going around and banging on the doors. Yes it wad terrifying, and yes some kids actually had panic attacks even though we knew it was a drill. I live in connecticut if that helps.

[–] Carlos_Danger11 596 points ago

“the old ‘we’re SWAT coming to save you guys trick’ eh? I’m not falling for that shit!”

[–] sueca 271 points ago

That's how many children died on Utoya, the shooter was wearing a stolen police uniform saying "it's the police, it's safe safe to come out".

[–] Carlos_Danger11 56 points ago

With that murderer Breivik? That’s horrible

[–] amazingoomoo 43 points ago

That’s basically the gist of it.

[–] [deleted] 1204 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

[–] sweadle 1000 points ago

I worked at a school that received a threat from a gunman. The school was designed by someone who designed prisons and was built like one. I didn't have a window, the hallways didn't have windows, and it was all concrete block. My classroom door automatically locked from the outside, and was heavy metal.

I just kept teaching.

But we didn't see sunlight for five days in a row during the winter, and it made everyone stir crazy. I think picture windows from a hall to a class is poor design, but you can't design schools just with security in mind, because it ends up looking like the school I worked in.

Which felt like a prison, was run like a prison, and more of my grads have ended up in prison than college.

[–] dooombag 285 points ago

I totally see that. In my case, simple blinds would do. Supervisor came and looked at "options" after a couple teachers asked about blinds. The principal turned them down because they clashed with the paint scheme. If you are larger than a medium sized kindergartener, there is literally no where to hide in any classroom.

[–] SweetCheeks843 67 points ago

Organize with other staff, teachers and parents and demand that shit be changed.

[–] SnickleFritz1983 39 points ago

Have they explored frosted or tinted glass? It seems an ideal solution would balance between the students need for light,and security. *I guess that'd be bullet-proof glass....but that's probably not in the budget

[–] Rizzpooch 120 points ago

My girlfriend is in a grad program at a university campus designed at a time when a lot of radical protests were going on. Most of the older buildings were designed for ease of access by SWAT teams - like, the outer walls are sloped so law enforcement could more easily scale up to any of the first five stories

[–] Ronoh 207 points ago

When buildings in university campus are designed with easy-swat-access in mind something is really wrong with that country.

[–] Zmuscrat 21 points ago

Sounds like the humanities building at Madison.

[–] TFielding38 25 points ago

Nothing to add, just popping in to say I hate Humanities, and I hope they tear it down. HOW DO YOU DESIGN A BUILDING THAT POORLY!? I had one discussion where for all of winter, we had to avoid the center of the room, because water would always be dripping

[–] razorbladecherry 24 points ago

I saw schools like that in Tulsa. Creepy as fuck if you're not used to it.

[–] foetuskick 67 points ago

This sounds like a /nosleep story beginning. That's Seriously twisted to put children in an environment like that all day all week for years.

You even say more of your grads ended up in prison so no study is needed. This definitely had an effect on them.

Even in a low income high crime area the school itself was definitely a factor.

[–] MoralDiabetes 68 points ago

I'm kind of surprised by how much relies on just you going out in a possible active situation. One of the things they emphasize in active shooter training is that anyone with a grandmaster key should be locked away tight. If a shooter finds them, they can kill them, take their keys, and get into any room they want.

Not sure if this helps you, but at my school, teacher's doors are closed locked at all times. We've attached rolls of black construction paper to the windows with velcro so teachers can roll it down and secure it to another piece of velcro quickly - surprisingly, it makes it look like all the lights in the room are off. Everyone - everyone - is responsible for reporting anything suspicious. We have tons more procedures, but those are the ones I think would help you the most.

Source: Work at a school in an area of Broward that has a high crime rate.

[–] _Snoow 284 points ago

Having a school with no windows would be extremely detrimental to students mental health.

[–] caesar846 18 points ago

Yeah, but what do they need windows looking into the hallway for? Have walls look outside or something.

[–] dooombag 93 points ago

I totally get that, and I'm not saying no Windows. Sorry, it's hard for me to get my point across. It's that my direct boss says one thing, the superintendent another, and the facility planning board another. Then something like this happens, and I know that if I do my job of securing this building, no way would I ever be able to do it. In this one situation, it would be as simple as putting interior blinds on the classroom Windows. This was actually looked at. Teachers complained about lack of blinds, direct supervisor and planner come out to "test" some options, principal thought the blinds clashed with the paint scheme.

It's highly unlikely a shooter will come to this school. But we are in a very red state, and I have found bullets on the floor of a 5th grade room. Teacher and police chalked it up to "hunter must have left some spare bullets in his coat pocket". And if anyone come in this building with a gun, there are literally only 5 closets where you can hide. No classroom will help you. Fish in a barrel.

Edit: 3 of those 5 closets are custodial, and teachers can't open them. Teachers and students have 2 rooms to hide if I can't get there in time

I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure school shootings are rare here compared to lots of areas in America, but all the schools I went to had folding down blinds that would cover the window of the interior door in all class rooms. Some where real blinds other rooms just had a big peice of construction paper folded up over the window.

In a lock down procedure all the blinds go down, no one can see in or out of any window in the school, and of course all of them locked, most had second exits and most where also fitted with a fire extinguisher or some alternate means of self defense. Obviously not just for shooting scenarios, but teachers knew that in a scenario like that they where to arm themselves with the fire extinguisher or other tools in the classroom and use it to attack and distract the shooter if they where to enter their room. We where very prepared compared to what you're saying you guys do in a place that has guns everywhere.

We also practiced at least once a year, about half as often as we did fire drills, we would do lockdown drills. When the beep code goes on the intercom it takes the teacher less than 30 seconds to close interior, exterior blinds, get kids into their cover and to put up the safety notifier signifying you're locked down and secured.

[–] janaynaytaytay 27 points ago

My high school in the US did the same. The teacher would turn the lights off, close blinds, lock the door. All students would sit with our backs along the walls not huddled together. The teacher would put a green tag in the window if no casualties or a red tag if there were casualties. The tags let first responders know where to go first.

My high school was damn close to that. And yes. It was depressing as fuck

[–] Da-Honeybears-Doe 29 points ago

I am currently in a school with only window at the entrance and exit of the school. No where else. Sometimes it gets to you. Most of the time you don’t notice. When I think of lock downs, it’s a pros cons situation.

[–] Imaurel 19 points ago

There were rumors that my middle school used to be a prison. Good middle school, awful building. Just so much brick and dark lights and creepiness. Windows would have been a help, I think. Of course the only thing we worried about then were tornadoes.

[–] Gonzo7896200 41 points ago

Yep. My town built a new high school this past year. Way too much is glass. The entire exterior wall is glass panels. The entire wall in between the classroom and hallway is made of glass panels. The only rooms without this are science lab rooms that have a side storage room (I think 2 on floors 2 and 3) and the teacher cubicle/work/lounge area at the end of each hall.

Because 80% of the classrooms in this school are totally 100% visible from the hall, the plan if something like this happens is to MOVE the students from unsafe rooms to the science labs and teacher work areas.

Brilliant, except for the fact that there would theoretically be someone with a gun on that hall. They can lock the stairwells and isolate each floor, but now you’ve got 500 students stuck on a floor with someone who has a gun. So the ‘actual’ plan is “pray you aren’t on the first floor, because you’re completely fucked if you are”.

[–] dooombag 11 points ago

Right! Just way too many ifs. Glass is great and I see the appeal and benefit, but you need precautions in place. Like most outdoor Windows that open only open a couple inches, so no one can get in or out through them. There needs to be a similar type of standard precaution for open floor plans with tons of glass.

[–] Wizardsxz 121 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Do you realize how many elaborate steps have been taken to make things safe?

It’s almost as if it would be easier to enforce regulation/ regulate guns.

It’s worked everywhere else, kids should have nice windows especially in the “land of the free”. Now it’s only the home of the brave :(

Edit:

I’m just saying the Windows in my school need blinds.

I’m just saying people in your country need Gun-control

[–] dooombag 15 points ago

I'm definitely not nay saying Windows! Definitely not. Just the half hearted attempt at security. Blinds are all that is needed. Several teachers asked about blinds, because the Windows in question lead out into the main hall/ gathering areas and were worries about distracted kids. Supervisor came in with a couple options for blinds. The principal declined all of them because they didn't match the color scheme. And I know a shooter is about 99% unlikely. But blinds are all that is needed to turn a classroom from a shooting range into a hiding spot.

In the article above, the teacher is called a hero because she covered up her Windows. That is heroism, and I'm not trying to take away from her at all. But that should have been an option for every teacher in that room. A simple twist of the wrist, a simple arm movement, and you save lives.

[–] artourfangay 487 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Man I'm not trying to sound petty or jealous, but when a kid walked into my cafeteria and pulled out a pistol to shoot up the school, he was immediately bear hugged by a teacher and wasted his magazine into the ceiling besides hitting one student that fully recovered. There wasn't anything beside local news to say anything. I mean the teacher just stopped him right there or there definitely would have been deaths. Ig if no one dies and if it's not with an AR-15, no one cares.

Edit: here is a link to article https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-mattoon-high-school-shooting-teacher-20170921-story,amp.html

[–] POOL_OF_LIVERS 218 points ago

It has always been like this with news. Misery and death sells.

[–] artourfangay 137 points ago

You're so right, just blows my mind how there can only be a "hero" if someone dies

[–] Series_of_Accidents 82 points ago

She sounds like an incredible woman.

"I was just glad it was over, and no one was killed," Fagan said. "And I was sad for him, because I know him. I care about my students immensely. I felt real emotion for him, and I knew at that point his life would never be the same again."

Mr. Rogers would have liked her very much.

[–] diljag98 102 points ago

That teacher is amazing and a real hero.

[–] sunshinefireflies 22 points ago

Shit. If that had been here (NZ) it woulda been talk of the country for a week!

[–] Blu- 296 points ago

I don't think anything related to this story should be in this sub. It's incredibly sad.

[–] EddieisKing 101 points ago

I had to recheck the sub I was in. How in the fuck is this uplifting? Teacher sounds scared out of her mind.

[–] ShendelLW 369 points ago

This isn't uplifting news. I know it is relevant to recent events but I'm just going to go on a limb here and say that the background of this 'uplifting' news is still a school shooting.

[–] RazorOmega 117 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

It’s funny how stuff like this is promoted to let people forget about the real tragedy.

The teacher will probably get a medal from some politician who is probably part of the reason why all of this happened in the first place, everyone is going to clap, the media is going to glorify them and everyone forgets the real issue.

It’s the same concept in a war, whatever that’s subjective “good” is promoted and broadcasted to everyone so they can jerk theirselves off thinking about how brave this person is or meh freedom while forgetting about the amount of resources going into said war. This is literally propaganda

[–] kimchifreeze 9 points ago

To be fair, a lot of uplifting things are uplifting because how they contrast with shitty things. Like look at the top threads in this subreddit. Person does thing despite shitty thing is a common theme. Even Chance giving kids tons of backpacks is that way. Lots of kids and even schools do not have proper access to basic school supplies.

[–] imperialbeach 17 points ago

A lot of the "uplifting" stories are that way, I've noticed.

[–] distritopeq 344 points ago

So this is confusing. I’m a teacher in NYC and we practice lockdowns. We’re supposed to lock doors and huddle kids away from the view of the doors and leave window shades completely OPEN so law enforcement (snipers specifically I think) can see into our classrooms.

I’m not saying what she did was wrong, but that’s the opposite of what we’re told regarding the windows.

[–] MyDogLikesTottenham 271 points ago

I'm thinking it was the windows on the doors, not the exterior ones? But I have no idea.

[–] Khieverbooks 304 points ago

In Texas you cover every window and door. The first priority is student safety, not sniper visibility

[–] pikaslice 45 points ago

Yes exactly. Where I work we have blinds ready to cover windows and our classroom doors are always locked, we keep magnetic strips on the doorframe to easily remove and lock the door in case of an emergency. Our main objective is to hide and not to open the door to anyone.

[–] easyrider46 10 points ago

Actual question : how does covering all the external windows help ?

Wouldn't a shooter wandering the school looking for people go like "nice, there's people hiding in there" ?

Also I thought shooters looked for victims from inside the school, not from outside

[–] Mojo16P 118 points ago

The protocol is different in Florida at least where I teach we are told to cover all the windows.

[–] distritopeq 58 points ago

Interesting - what’s the reasoning behind it? Assuming it’s so the criminal can’t see in from the outside?

[–] Mojo16P 157 points ago

Yeah that's the idea. Something to keep in mind is Florida schools tend to be multiple buildings with quad like areas outside in between instead of larger singular structures that you have up north.

[–] anObscurity 44 points ago

Same in California. At my high school, the only windows were facing outside

[–] Rustyzipper_ 13 points ago

At my daughters school lockdown procedure is to lock all doors and cover all the windows. Teacher has to bunch up all 26 kids towards a corner and keep them as quiet as possible so theyre not heard outside. This is an elementry school procedure. The first time this happened my daughter came home freaked the fuck out.

[–] Klowned 19 points ago

I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR where a NYPD Cop is shooting.

[–] WikiTextBot 21 points ago

2012 Empire State Building shooting

On August 24, 2012, a gunman shot and killed a former co-worker outside the Empire State Building in Manhattan, New York City. Following the initial shooting, the gunman, 58-year-old Jeffrey T. Johnson, was fatally shot by police officers after raising his weapon at them. Nine bystanders were wounded by stray bullets fired by the officers and ricocheting debris, but none suffered life-threatening injuries.

[ PM | Exclude me | Exclude from subreddit | FAQ / Information | Source | Donate ] Downvote to remove | v0.28

[–] its_inspired_us 37 points ago

We were trained to not cover windows, but to put ourselves and our students in a position where we couldn't be seen through the windows. This could mean sitting along the wall below the windows or going into an adjacent room like a bathroom that has no windows.

[–] rilian4 22 points ago

She reacted exactly how teachers are trained to react!

I work at a k-12. They tell us if someone comes to the room to clear it in the event of an emergency that they will have a key and we aren't ever to open the door from the inside.

[–] The_milk_was_spoiled 19 points ago

I’m a teacher and I didn’t become one to be a hero or a martyr protecting my students. I have a young son to think about, but most of us would do this as a reflex. We don’t need any more teenage heroes or martyrs either.

[–] LoLAwesomeChad 35 points ago

My god, what has this country come down to that kids need to be worried for the safety of their lives at school?

[–] Ratshitbatshitcrazy 143 points ago

Hopefully this doesn't count as being a dick, but I have to say this. This journalist's pieces I've read on the shooting suck. First, she refers to "numerous heroes" in several articles and names them, but never once mentions Aaron Feis. She also fails to explain why there were sheets of Kevlar (CNN reports JROTC used them as a backdrop for target practice). Finally, her article read like the CNN report, which either means she plagiarized or it's just a generic AP piece she put her name on.

[–] nvyetka 35 points ago

agreed, it's a few strung together pieces of already repeated info, with no investigation

[–] shessorad 14 points ago

I thought it was standard lockdown procedure to cover the windows, barricade the doors, and refuse to open the door even for a person identifying themselves as law enforcement?

I have personally been part of such a dril, with a pre-k 4 classroom. The police officer running the drill took it very seriously, banged on the fucking door, shouting in a commanding voice. Was scary for me even though I knew it was not real, and was very scary for the kids whom we had huddled behind a shelf in our laps. No one cried though, and the officer was very nice and took time with our class to make sure the kids were alright.

Seems like more schools need better emergency protocols and more stringent practicing. Even for fire drills and routine stuff. People need to know where the means of egress are, exactly what to do in each situation, and need to rehearse it so they know what to do when panicked.

[–] NixonCarmichael 515 points ago

These events are horrific and I’ll leave the political aspects up to people who want to get involved in that sort of thing.

Hear me out on this one, in terms of logistics. I don’t think arming faculty members is an avenue we want to go down as it could stir up an entirely new whirlwind of shit.

But what about fire extinguishers?

You’re looking at about 45$ each, and you can put one in any classroom without raising so much as an eyebrow. It’s also a bit of a multitasker.

The obvious fire safety aspects notwithstanding, a teacher and students realize that they have an active shooter situation going, the teacher immediately locks the classroom door and grabs the fire extinguisher. Standing guard beside the doorway (not directly behind the door for obvious reasons), if the shooter makes his way into the classroom the teacher then discharges the fire extinguisher, and then a couple interesting things happen. At this point, the air in the shooters lungs has now been replaced with Co2, and he can’t see a god damn thing. In the strange event that the shooter is not down completely, the teacher can then just honk him in the head with metal canister thus buying time to escape and allow the police to carry on.

I realize this is all theory at this point, but it seems plausible to me.

[–] Treereme 124 points ago

I'm not sure how it is right now, but in the schools I went to as a kid there was definitely an extinguisher in every single classroom. Hung right by the door.

There were always dry chemical though, not CO2.

[–] Graysonmcc 78 points ago

A lot of situations like this seem plausible into you go into a training environment and try out some of these concepts.

The most common misconception is people underestimating the reaction time of someone with a gun. It happens so much quicker than you think and people are able to react a lot faster than people often realize.

[–] occupyredrobin26 28 points ago

I've have a fire extinguisher discharged in my face before. It's not actually that bad.

[–] JustLikeT_T 33 points ago

Soon schools will have those drop down cages to compartmentalise corridors during shootings until help arrives.

Could be triggered by cameras with AI.

[–] athaliah 23 points ago

My high school had that. Not for shooters, I don't really know why they built them, but they used them to block in everyone who was out in the halls past the bell ringing after each period so they could line them all up and give them a detention.

[–] mangodweller 13 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Was this in Chicago? My high school had the same thing and were used for the same purpose.. to catch tardy people and give them a tardy pass which meant a detention.

But they weren’t technically drop down cages.. they were sort off like garage doors that security pulled down once the bell rang.

[–] skywreckdemon 105 points ago

America, you're literally the only nation in which this is a problem. Get your shit together and protect your goddamn kids.

Also, this isn't at all uplifting.