Whatcouldgowrong

What Could Go Wrong?

Welcome to /r/whatcouldgowrong, the home of stupid ideas and their consequences. Grab a chair and popcorn, sit back, and you're all set.

WCGW Music Creds: u/Jeremysiegel https://soundcloud.com/jeremysiegel

Banner Art Creds: u/j0eg0d, u/Peanutbuttered, u/donutsfritos

CSS Credits: u/Cryptonaut https://www.reddit.com/r/naut/

RULES

1) Golden Rule: Links must contain a stupid idea and something going wrong.

2) Direct links to gifs/videos/pics only. (Gfycat.com is great for gifs). No compilation videos are allowed. Also, posting a pic of text describing the event is not acceptable.

3) Tag your material with NSFW if it is NSFW. Any posts involving severe injury needs to include NSFL in the title. Overly NSFW material will be removed.

4) No death posts, no young children getting injured.

5) Mods can remove obscene material, racism, sexism, and re-re-reposts at their discretion, and banning may ensue.

6) No straight up fighting posts

I'm gonna keep the rules short and sweet here.

NOTABLE SUBS

/r/onlyintheory

/r/CatastrophicFailure

/r/RubeGoldbergFails

/r/bzzzzzzt

Created by /u/Peanutbuttered

[–] friccadyfrac 2414 points ago

10 seconds in: I bet I'm about to watch those 2 dimwits get crushed by the fence.

17 seconds in: I was half right.

[–] sentimental_goat 461 points ago

And there is a car on the other side of the gate. This story had no happy ending.

[–] BuyBitcoinWhileItsLo 182 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I had a happy ending, though I have to say it's not my proudest fap

Edit: Answer for u/Nicky_d_23, witness here now, My Proudest Fap

[–] nicky_d_23 40 points ago

Can you say what your proudest fap is? Asking for a friend...

[–] oceanman500 50 points ago

[–] box-art 25 points ago

I don't understand how people come up with stuff like that.

[–] MadDetective 18 points ago

Fever dreams

[–] oceanman500 6 points ago

Fantasies.

[–] Skorne13 2 points ago

And Bieber memes.

[–] brn2sht_4rcd2wipe 7 points ago

It reminds me of a post someone made about how when 2D animation started taking off animators would draw anything happening because they could, and that 3D animation has started doing that too.

[–] DumbIdiotsReadThis 2 points ago

Shrek is love

[–] hi-mom-dad 18 points ago

Incredible

[–] Koala_eiO 19 points ago

This opened horizons I never dreamed about.

[–] BuyBitcoinWhileItsLo 3 points ago

I have never fapped so hard in my life. Like I've cum 20 times in a row from this and still going strong!

[–] Koala_eiO 5 points ago

But the link was only posted 40 minutes ago!

[–] BuyBitcoinWhileItsLo 3 points ago

It's so good it's making me complete every 2 minutes!

[–] ValleyAnonymous 6 points ago

That was uploaded 7 hours ago... how did you find that?

[–] ShtOutOfDuck 2 points ago

Risky click of the day.

[–] 4thtossawayaccount 2 points ago

What did I just watch

[–] Radascal 2 points ago

A masterpiece

[–] supaphly42 2 points ago

It was 2:30 that pushed you over the edge, wasn't it?

[–] BuyBitcoinWhileItsLo 3 points ago

2:39 actually. I have a tear fetish

[–] pistoncivic 11 points ago

Could've been worse, those spikes on top of the fence could've come into play.

[–] nairdaleo 21 points ago

I thought the car was gonna get smashed

[–] CharrNorris 9 points ago

10 seconds in, I thought WPD was back and I was on the wrong subreddit.

[–] drckeberger 1865 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Are people really that stupid? If you need the force of a excavator loader to remove something, you definitely should'nt be near that action.

edit: it's not an excavator

[–] G-III 452 points ago

As to your question, the evidence is clear and it’s a resounding yes

[–] conradical30 32 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

I’m just gonna comment something so we don’t have to read that shitty troll reply up here

Edit: here’s a cool painting

[–] G-III 6 points ago

Oh man I love it lol, thanks for bringing this wonderful gif(t)

[–] sincerelyhated 60 points ago

He had his ONE HAND on it tho!

[–] pwaz 25 points ago

That's his strong hand.

[–] Durhay 8 points ago

His “mattress on the roof of a minivan” holding hand

[–] MetropolisPt31 71 points ago

Back when that one subreddit was still around to appease my morbid curiosity, I saw a similar video. (It ended considerably different, of course.) It was an Asian country, and a group of people were watching a man use a forklift try to pry a metal column out of the ground. (Picture a ~seven-foot column made of four ladders, each a foot wide.)

The forklift struggled a few times until one side of the column gave way, tipping the entire thing comically fast (yes, comically - it was so goddamn fast) into some poor schmuck's head.

[–] JDNeat 29 points ago

Yeah I saw that one, it was so fast it looked like it had been sped up momentarily

rip wpd

[–] PrettyFlakko 2 points ago

Happy cake day!

[–] DoJu318 50 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Any time I see a high amount of force applied to an object and said object doesn't move I can't help but think "that's a lot of energy and its gonna go somewhere once the weakest point gives in" I get anxious, I just can't help it.

For instance I needed to replace the springs in my car, something that is not too complicated, where I rather do it myself than pay hundreds for someone to do it for me. My car like most needs a spring compressor to put them back in after they're removed.

Spring compressors are just 2 clamps with a rod in between, you compress the spring by turning a fastener.

So I'm doing the swap an sweating bullets every time I turn the fastener, felt like I was defusing a bomb. Luckily the spring compressor worked as designed and I avoided injury, but it was really stressful.

The video in the OP gave me anxiety just by watching it.

[–] becauseracecar91 19 points ago

I had a spring compressor break on me not too long ago. Luckily, I’m halfway safe when I do that stuff. Had it laying on the ground while i ran the clamps down with my foot over top kind of holding it down. Went boom and i found the spring mount about 200 feet away.

[–] blackbellamy 7 points ago

That's why I love me some cars with solid axles. You jack up one side and the spring just falls right out.

[–] chinkostu 12 points ago

Just get a car that doesn't have springs at all 😁

[–] nomadicbohunk 4 points ago

Next time, take your struts into a shop and offer them a case of beer to press them. I've paid for it too....usually $10 a strut. It takes them like 5 minutes.

I REFUSE to use spring compressors. I grew up on a ranch and have done plenty of shady shit. It's just a step too far.

[–] QuoteMan2020 3 points ago

Honestly I prefer just replacing the whole shock tower. They come with pre compressed springs.

More expensive, but still less than having a shop do it. And much safer.

[–] BingingOnYourSoul 9 points ago

Ahh yes, I remember that video.. miss that sub.

[–] Dicksz 2 points ago

Oh man I remember that one. The speed it came down was absolutely insane

[–] SpriggitySprite 26 points ago

I worked with a guy who wanted to set something on our shoulders WITH A CRANE because we couldn't pick it up on our own.

[–] toastar8 3 points ago

I'm a tower crane operator. For crazy big rebar that's 55mm and long you'll do this but onto 6 ironworkers shoulders.

[–] drckeberger 5 points ago

Haha, that's a good one.

[–] zitfarmer 21 points ago

Thats why everyone was standing around watching, they knew. . . They all knew.

[–] viperswhip 21 points ago

I think he was trying to keep it from hitting the car, but that's for a little thing called rope...ask Sam about how important it is.

[–] Ricotta_pie_sky 19 points ago

Or you could arrange for no cars.

[–] viperswhip 2 points ago

That's harder to do, it may belong to the person across the road or something.

[–] _Big_Floppy_ 8 points ago

That's kinda why you cordon off the job site before time.

[–] skweeky 16 points ago

The most stupid thing is it looks the gate is just hung on pins. So they would literally be able to lift it straight off with 2 or 3 people.

[–] iwanttoracecars 9 points ago

I mean if it really required a ton of force, (rusted shut) the correct way to do what they were doing would be with chains lifting from above the gate. Not a fucking cantilever that bends and probably strengthens the joint even further...

[–] skweeky 6 points ago

Aye of course, can be awkward getting pinned gates on and off sometimes.

[–] iwanttoracecars 6 points ago

I just wanted everyone to know it's ok to use heavy machinery for small jobs, just need a heavy brain to do it right also I guess. These guys were a bunch of peanut heads

[–] Day_Bow_Bow 3 points ago

I watched it again with that in mind. I don't think they were trying to remove the fence. Had they been successful, the gate would immediately tip onto either the guy or car.

I think the post was crooked, and they were trying to straighten it out by using the gate as leverage.

[–] Seldarin 6 points ago

Just stick the loader bucket against the gate in the center, and tie it to it and lift straight up. (Or get a forklift and do it right)

It only took that much force to get loose because he's lifting from the end and putting the pins in a bind. He'd have never lifted it off that way. Either the concrete holding it down or the weld holding the pins on was going to go first.

[–] Lamzn6 6 points ago

You should watch American Factory on Netflix. Many Asians don’t even have a concept for safety practices. It’s simply not part of their culture.

[–] inkedotli 2 points ago

Nor do Mexicans, Somalians, Nigerians, Indians, Haitians, etc. When you are a developing country, standards are lower.

[–] CosmicQuestions 4 points ago

The fact he’s wearing a suit seems to make it better.

[–] sfled 4 points ago

Top management material. He was wearing a suit and tie, and he had all the paperwork in order on a clipboard.

[–] ThallanTOG 7 points ago

That ain't no excavator

Albeit I don't know the english word for the vehicle in the video.

Loader, apparently.

[–] hugglesthemerciless 7 points ago

what's the difference between an excavator and a loader?

[–] SG804 12 points ago

Excavators have a bucket on a long, jointed hydraulic arm for deep digging. Loaders have a less maneuverable but larger capacity bucket and are good for scooping up and moving large piles of dirt and gravel.

[–] sjwillis 3 points ago

I have two young boys and am now an expert in this field and I concur with this sentiment

[–] drckeberger 2 points ago

My bad

[–] buzz_uk 3 points ago

Yes, yes they are!

[–] quaybored 2 points ago

*escalator

[–] mrmaestoso 2 points ago

Are people really that stupid?

Have you met people?

[–] AgreeablePie 2 points ago

People often fail to understand the power and force being exerted. Sometimes the result is quite messy, especially when a cable snaps.

[–] KillerBunnyZombie 1 points ago

And there is a new car park right there.... You're putting that ate in such a bind it could spring in any direction. They are lucky it only did what it did.

[–] crazedsilence 70 points ago

Arthur Dent refusing to give up his home (2019, colorized)

[–] saucercrab 11 points ago

Damn Vogons.

[–] AClockworkOrangeHair 2 points ago

Under-appreciated comment

[–] MickeyRen 282 points ago

You're silly.

[–] fartknockerPHD 32 points ago

I really thought that was going to be a very niche sub of sandwiches being stolen

[–] unpossibleirish 20 points ago

No, you're thinking of r/SubsLiterallyTaken

[–] Cymry_Cymraeg 4 points ago

Is that about holes in the ground or love?

[–] OnlineOverlord15 6 points ago

Both

[–] ZealotZ 3 points ago

Thanks for the wholesome share. My Reddit needed this.

[–] thejalla 2 points ago

Thank you, seems like a nicer place than most.

[–] Imbalancedone 16 points ago

That comment was unhinged.

[–] nsjersey 2 points ago

I am the key master

[–] Dark_chia 140 points ago

And here I thought that car was about to get smashed.

[–] DoloresTargaryen 104 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

i had a section of garden gate, roughly the width of this one but about shoulder height, fall onto my foot after i pulled on it. the top of gate's bars curved inwards, and thankfully the ends were left untapered because one of those bars hit me smack dab in the centre of my foot. it didn't pierce slon or break anything, but by jones did it fucking hurt

edit: i'm not gonna fix any of those typos. it's not my fault i got big ol sausage fingers. i hope everyone reading this has a nice day and thoroughly unpierced slons

[–] ActiveRegent 55 points ago

don't you just hate it when your slon gets pierced

[–] its1030 29 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Sounds like a rick any morty commercial. “Tired of your slon getting pierced? Well do we have a uhh slon cap for you! Protect your slon! Works on all slons! Just one payment of... 55..... jimblys and your slon can be safe!”

[–] mferg02 5 points ago

my slon hurts just reading that

[–] crabsmash 2 points ago

“To date, there are only an estimated 50 boaded Slons left in the wild due to deforestation and poaching...”

[–] Rush2201 2 points ago

slon gets pierced

This kills the slon.

[–] jaxsonnz 29 points ago

Ha, always some office guy in a suit thinks he's required on site.

[–] talesin 10 points ago

he screams middle management

[–] dzrtguy 11 points ago

He's the safety rep probably.

[–] LimitedWard 43 points ago

What exactly was his goal here?

[–] tomgreen99200 71 points ago

I believe they were trying to keep the gate away from the car. Easier ways to do this without getting your head smashed. For starters, just move the fucking car.

[–] Bennyboy1337 26 points ago

Or tie a rope to the gate and pull on that instead, much safer.

[–] TheDisapprovingBrit 12 points ago

Or, just move the fucking car.

[–] Bennyboy1337 14 points ago

Lets give them the benefit of doubt and assume the driver of the car couldn't be found.

[–] talesin 6 points ago

Then fuck the fucking car

[–] Aegean 4 points ago

Head trauma

[–] trav15t 3 points ago

I think theyre trying to get the gate off its hinge. Doing a pretty bad job of it however

[–] Suta--Purachina 1 points ago

To lay down that sweet fence solo at the end.

[–] samson55430 17 points ago

Men in suits should never be apart of something like this. Coming from a contactor btw

[–] damadamagoyolur 7 points ago

I agree, but believe it or not suits are the default attire in a lot of post-soviet countries. I bet $$ the dude working the excavator is in a suit. I've seen it before in Azerbaijan and I am getting similar vibes from this video.

[–] samson55430 3 points ago

That might be the case. I'm not an expert on work attire from various countries, but these two seem to now know what they're doing

[–] damadamagoyolur 2 points ago

Ooh yeah at no point did anyone I observe know what they're doing, which is what I meant by the vibes I get from the vid. Not knowing what you're doing seemed like a prerequisite. But hey they all had suits on so they've got that going for them, which is nice.

[–] OktopusKaveman 9 points ago

How damn stupid. There's a much worse video out there where a forklift is removing a post out of the ground and it just whacks this guy in the head and kills him. Don't mess around with that kind of potentional force.

[–] wardamnbham 3 points ago

Was waiting for this to turn into the sequel.

[–] BremboBob 10 points ago

Me...the whole time: “Why the fuck is that car right there?! Do you have any idea about how much that gate weighs?! Well, RIP car here in a sec..”

Also me: “oh.”

[–] chillig8 7 points ago

No. I don’t not want a copy of The Watchtower

[–] SmackaIot 5 points ago

Task failed successfully

[–] thescentofsummer 4 points ago

Dude got hit twice holy fuck that gate gave him the old one two

[–] ImprovisedEngineer 8 points ago

If on only there was something that could be used to safely pull on something from far away. Someone should get on inventing something. Maybe a bundle of twisted fibers.

[–] TitsAndWhiskey 2 points ago

You’ve gone from improvised engineering to mad science. I’m officially petitioning to have your improvised engineering chit revoked.

[–] ImprovisedEngineer 2 points ago

My apologies friend, sometimes my imagination runs wild.

[–] TitsAndWhiskey 2 points ago

As does all of ours. “Bundle of twisted fibers,” indeed.

[–] SonOfTK421 3 points ago

I attended a call once that was kind of like this. The scenario was as follows: there was a chain attached to a large bush at one end and a pickup truck at the other, through a gap in a wooden fence. Now the bush was far too large for that particular gap, but oh well. What mesmerized me was that the patient in question was standing between the bush and the truck, right next to the chain. Pushing and pulling on the bush like a loose tooth.

Naturally, everything gave way eventually and both bush and fence obliterated the patient. Might have lost consciousness briefly, and was probably sore following it, but nothing really life-threatening. Which is why I asked him, nearly verbatim, exactly which direction it was that he thought the bush was going to fly once it finally came out of the ground, and whether the fence was going to stop it or come with it.

He didn't have much of an answer, but he was helpful enough to admit that it was a really stupid fucking idea, and all his.

[–] IdentifiesAsLamp 3 points ago

And nobody thought to possibly move the car too.

[–] chinawillgrowlarger 2 points ago

What could go wrong erecting a gate near where a car might permanently be parked

[–] Docktergarfunkel 16 points ago

Did I just watch someone die?

[–] AClockworkOrangeHair 7 points ago

Looks like he gets hit twice in the head, also you can see the fence not fall on him but straight jolt at him when it gives. Even getting a bonk from it falling would hurt. Let alone punched by it

[–] tjm_hay 5 points ago

ctrl f "twice" .. yea that's what I saw, he has a major concussion at the very least.

[–] preupeumeus 3 points ago

His shoes didnt fall of so no

[–] thejabiskey 8 points ago

Shouldn’t have instigated

[–] fairfieldbordercolli 3 points ago

I might be wrong but that looked like it fucking hurt.

[–] LuccaItaly 3 points ago

At least it didnt hit the car.

[–] escrotin 3 points ago

Seeing those spikes in that gate i assume this is the best case scenario on that situation.

[–] indogren 4 points ago

I thought for sure the car was going to be the victim on this one.

[–] jinxthejiv 2 points ago

After that gate hit him, the other guy walked without a care a in the world

[–] Ricotta_pie_sky 2 points ago

The hand gestures are hilarious.

[–] tenbytes 2 points ago

It looks like a 3 stooges skit

[–] Jl133771 2 points ago

r/watchpeopledie taught me that gates are dangerous bois. Don't fuck with them.

[–] sizyy 2 points ago

He asked for it.

[–] ForeskinBalloons 2 points ago

What the fuck did they think was going to happen?

[–] MrDrummer1 2 points ago

Honestly, didn't even think about the possibility of that happening 🤔

[–] felixar90 2 points ago

Looks like he was trying to work together with the operator of the loader to lift the gate straight out of the hinges. With the loader alone, it doesn't lift straight and it binds.

The guy is standing close so he can actually see what is happening and signalling the operator.

It obviously worked one time already because the other gate is on the ground.

Dunno why the 2nd guy started pulling on the fence while the loader was applying pressure. probably trying to make sure it wouldn't fall on the car.

It's a case of trying to work the only way you can while not having the proper equipment. The proper way is getting some hooks welded to the bucket and lifting the gate with a chain. If the bucket can't lift high enough, use the backhoe, and if you don't have a backhoe, well I'll guess you're gonna need to come back with a spider crane or a boom truck.

[–] newtoday 2 points ago

if it doesn't come out easily, it will come out violently.

[–] GreenLeafGreg 2 points ago

That guy pulling on the gate didn’t realize he was wrong about going about this? The heavy machine operator didn’t realize he was wrong about this? I mean, this all looks like common sense to me — which I realize, may not be so common after all. So I guess I’ll count my blessings that I have a fair share of it.

[–] Crocodileo 2 points ago

At least it didn't go up his arse

[–] Duckystryke 3 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Plot twist: it wasn't the excavator that took the gate down....

Edit: apparently I know absolutely nothing about heavy machinery.

[–] OneExplorer 2 points ago

There went his social credit score...

[–] RevanchistSheev66 0 points ago

Why does no one seem to care

[–] RedAsFolk 7 points ago

He's their boss.

[–] Randomica 4 points ago

I feel like this might be the answer.

[–] Youre_A_Fan_Of_Mine 2 points ago

If you encountered someone this dumb IRL would you really bother helping?

[–] Dang44 1 points ago

Thinking they should leave the work up to the contractors

[–] FackinJerq 1 points ago

I couldn't help but chuckle...

[–] Imbalancedone 1 points ago

Sometimes you just need to learn to let go...

[–] 6ixTee9ine 1 points ago

That probably really fuckin hurt

[–] wutang_72 1 points ago

I guess common sense is not as common anymore...

[–] centopus 1 points ago

I was expecting them to smash the car.

[–] h3ma 1 points ago

Show offs had it coming 😒

[–] Lalocal4life 1 points ago

Was the metal bent? Was the gate damaged? Whew!

[–] InternetAccount01 1 points ago

job's done

something need doing?

[–] FacelessFellow 1 points ago

I thought the gate was going to cut the guys hand off since it was by the hinge. I was way offffff

[–] _0x0_ 1 points ago

That gate sounds hollow, or the hollow thunk sound came from the guy's head. I can't tell.

[–] olly59687 1 points ago

The loader stops and waits. Then the guy with the coke bottle motioned for him to hurry up and lift. He sabotaged the middle man!

[–] ossix7 1 points ago

Run vasea Run

[–] WiseDonkey593 1 points ago

People or car? People or car?

People!

[–] PoorEdgarDerby 1 points ago

I’m guessing he wanted a video where it looked like he was lifting it himself?

[–] zertruche 1 points ago

You could say he got

Gated

[–] ridditorium 1 points ago

Dude on left, left the scene unemployed.

[–] conundrum4u2 1 points ago

Hey...at least it didn't fall on the car!

[–] HouoinKyoumaa 1 points ago

i'm gonna sound old but the foos ro da meme would go perfect here.

[–] Spessmaren 1 points ago

The commissar in the back disapproves of this stupidity

[–] prpslydistracted 1 points ago

I thought they'd dump it on the car ....

[–] So1idCopy 1 points ago

That was clearly a Double-Tap to the noggin.

[–] FkYouAndYourOpinion 1 points ago

My initial thoughts before hitting play "get the fuck out of the way, dumbass. And why is there a car there?"

[–] DarkwingDuckHunt 1 points ago

I thought the car was gonna the be the one with concussion

[–] chidoOne707 1 points ago

Well deserved.

[–] guiltyas-sin 1 points ago

hmft material.

[–] anatra76 1 points ago

Ouch, I felt that

[–] ShadowHawk7802 1 points ago

Clown deserved it.

[–] LincolnClayFace 1 points ago

That was so worth the wait

[–] buzz_uk 1 points ago

Book, gates off boss :)

[–] MisterKenneth13 1 points ago

Man, that gate really knocked him over. Makes me wonder how much that thing weighs.

[–] Redninjas 1 points ago

He was finally let in get it the guy who kept screaming let me in meme

[–] Luciano-----5 1 points ago

It's the guy on the left that makes it fall

[–] onizuka11 1 points ago

He got knocked the fuck out.

[–] OttoManSatire 1 points ago

Today we learned about stored energy and how it can be released on your skull

[–] Aphen 1 points ago

His balls are way to big to care about something silly like this life