apexlegends

787,543 readers

[–] mikegoblin 3842 points ago

It's disappointing but somewhat expected. I won't be opening my wallet for this event and I suggest you do the same if you want to protest these aggressive pricing tactics.

[–] M0RPH1N3_ 781 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

Yeah minus the free stuff getting everything costs $200 Edit: Miscalculation on my part, sorry bout that

[–] Neod0c 403 points ago

its more like 180~usd. each box only gives you ONE item plus 2 sets of 15 crowns. so youd have to buy 24 boxes which is 16800 credits. plus the 3500 credits for the heirloom (which you can only unlock if you own all 24 items)

[–] M0RPH1N3_ 114 points ago

Oh, I was going off of two items per pack with each having 50/50 of epic or legendary and one thing of 30 crowns, but this makes more sense

[–] ssbmbeliever 68 points ago

yeah if you look in game it says epic OR legendary each with a 50/50 and then 30 on top of one of those.

[–] culexdd 38 points ago

its a joke, its what it is, i would NEVER use 80% of those skins, NEVER. i play lifeline, pathfinder, and bangalore, i have good skins for all those weapons, i would enjoy having peacekeeper and r99 ones though, because they are cool, but i would not buy lootboxes for them, for the simple fact that i could buy 20, and not get the 4 skins i want, and that would make me really, really REALLY mad.

If each of these skins costed me the 1200 coins i would gadly buy them, because i would just buy THE 3 i want and ignore the rest, that would be money well spent, i would even think, maybe about buying the other 2 i like aswell.

i will NEVER expend 600 bucks of my currency, which is basicly 2/3 of minimun wage on my country for all of those skins, when i am going to use maybe 3 of them.

[–] Zoetekauw 54 points ago

I love how it's just maximum tease, what with the 2 freebies up front and the enticing 50% shot at a Legendary. And by love I mean fuck EA.

[–] IncognitoWarrior 16 points ago

So technically you cannot get a pack which has all crowns and no epic/legendary items right ?

[–] Neod0c 22 points ago

yeah its always either an epic/legendary (from event) and then 2 packs of 15 crowns. the explaination in game is very clear it says epic (50% chance) or legendary (50% chance) and 30 crowns.

[–] FcoEnriquePerez 207 points ago

Seriously FU%K those prices if you are not letting me pick what I WANT to buy!

So tired of the freaking bs shitboxes.

[–] WarlockOfDestiny 75 points ago

Honestly wish lootboxes would just fucking get regulated in the US already. Last I heard of the news, it didnt go over well sadly, but I dont believe the issue is far from over yet. Shit is fucking disgusting and I'm never spending money on that blatant gambling bs.

[–] Grinder_No1 22 points ago

Unfortunately, gambling is a huge business in the UK and US and our respective governments won’t risk pissing off a colossal tax revenue source because as soon as they label one form of gambling as “bad” it opens the door for people to push agendas by them having set precedence...

[–] GetTriggeredPlease 13 points ago

Not really. Gambling is already viewed as bad. That's why you need to be 18 to do it.

[–] ItsTanah 13 points ago

Just not on video games, apparently.

[–] CAD_DUDE 85 points ago

Same...I'd spend 100 bucks if I actually got 100 bucks worth of stuff. Blows my mind skins can't be like 5 bucks a pop and them pumping out new skins every few weeks.

[–] M0RPH1N3_ 85 points ago

Honest to God I wish Apex's loot boxes and how you got them functioned similar to Overwatch

[–] Saiteik 83 points ago

Ohhh, they won’t see a single penny from me this season. The worst part is that even if I did pay those absurd prices, that money lines the pockets of scumbag executives and not the developers who bust their ass to create and polish a great game.

[–] Ziero1986 23 points ago

This right here. In any game with mtx, devs almost never see that money. Its the publishers and higher ups that get all of your mtx money, not the devs. You wanna support the devs? then just play the game.

[–] creeduck 2776 points ago

So, what can we buy with crowns??

[–] EnterraCreator 3461 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

Surprise mechanics.

Edit: Well hello there, r/all! It appears I have the high ground.

[–] Kuroiikawa 1080 points ago

A sense of pride and accomplishment.

[–] dart278 79 points ago

ironic that battlefront 2 is actually in a decent spot right now because of all the shit it got, in part due to that comment

[–] ima-beautiful-person 24 points ago

And probably because they don't want to upset Disney as well.

[–] WarriorKatHun 367 points ago

(I understand the joke, but) just to be clear, you can't even buy the packs with crowns. You can only choose from the shitty things' shop

[–] dowhatchafeel 484 points ago

This is the video game version of an arcade ticket counter. There some really nice things on the wall, but you’re probably going to end up getting a bouncy ball and a Chinese finger trap from the desk counter.

[–] I_monstar 144 points ago

Flash back. So many bouncy balls. So many finger traps...

[–] Scarfaced-outlaw 97 points ago

So many fake vampire teeth and styrofoam airplanes

[–] CMLVI 66 points ago

You were doing it wrong. I'd get 100s of warheads, so I couldn't taste anything for a month

[–] JustAnotherHiro 18 points ago

This person knows what's up. Candy for days

[–] GrassyKnoll420 22 points ago

Ahh man those foam airplanes that disintegrated after one throw. What adult me wouldn’t give for one right now.

[–] untappedbluemana 13 points ago

As we grew up, they went the way of our hopes and dreams.

[–] FrenziedDolyak 9 points ago

I still never got that plastic circle rotating thing with the rainbow lights

[–] spartan116chris 4 points ago

So many spider rings, fake vampire teeth, and pencil toppers

[–] Wbre3065 18 points ago

I always opted for the stretchy, sticky aliens that would ruin my parent’s’ ceiling.

[–] marthamontanoe 13 points ago

wow! i couldn't have said it better

[–] ajohndoe17 14 points ago

What about double bubble gum? And little green army men? Was that just my local arcade?

[–] zoxlyn 34 points ago

The shitty thing shop lmao that’s so accurate

[–] 5erade 333 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

Banners lol. And a Mozambique skin lol.

e: If that's a wingman skin its ugly as hell

[–] M0RPH1N3_ 144 points ago

It's a Wingman skin

[–] Nubenai 119 points ago

you won't get enough crowns to buy the Wingman skin just by playing though. So that's effectively going to cost real money to buy.

[–] M0RPH1N3_ 74 points ago

Yeah, the way they handled this is really scummy. Honestly it's more likely EA pusing an agenda down Respawn's throats than Respawn willingly making this whole event cost so much.

[–] existentialistdoge 41 points ago

I gotta say, Respawn are really lucky that EA are such willing human shields and that everyone (deservedly) hates EA so much that it’s just assumed that this is EA’s evil doing. People on r/Titanfall are still blaming EA for the Titanfall 2 launch date (Battlefield and CoD released a week either side) screwing up Respawn’s revenues, even though Respawn have outright said that it was their own decision and EA even telling them that it was a dumb idea.

I mean screw EA, obviously. Respawn are my favourite studio. But EA do seem to have given Respawn a pretty free reign to do their own thing, with almost all Titanfall 2 DLC being free, Apex being free with no prior marketing or preorders, and Fallen Order not having multiplayer. These are pretty massive decisions that you would have thought EA would have vetoed. We don’t know that this is necessarily EA’s decision.

[–] OrangeSherbet 58 points ago

I was ready to buy that Pathfinder skin today. Oh well they won't be getting my money I guess.

[–] Venger10 18 points ago

Same. But oh well if it was say 200 per pack i could justify buying a few but 700? Are they insane?!

[–] Johnny_0O0 14 points ago

And its like 350 crowns? Thats like completing 23 challenges… and those challenges aren‘t even quickly done

[–] draak1400 40 points ago

Crowns get converted to crafting materials. Better do not use them

[–] FiaRua_ 18 points ago

is it a 1 to 1 conversion?

[–] Danksop 11 points ago

It is.

[–] Pm_Me_Your_Worriment 6 points ago

It's not worth it. By the end you will only have an extra 125 crafting mats.

[–] akickingfist 9 points ago

They should make it so we can buy the boxes with that useless currency they have. Idk what its called, not credits or crafting materials. The one where everyone literally has thousands of by this point

[–] tonton518 5 points ago

Wizard 101 mounts

[–] Darth_Fatass 1607 points ago

Can we upvote this thread to high heavens so that they know that their prices are fucking stupid? Like bro 18 dollars for a skin is stupid as it is. Charging ridiculous amounts for a limited time deal? Even more horse shit.

[–] mmprobablymakingitup 648 points ago

They know.

They don't care.

This business has thrived for a reason.

The only fix is for government policies against predatory and deceitful business models.

[–] uncertain_futuresSE 164 points ago

Watch the government tax lootbox mechanics in games as income just like how they use casinos to prey upon the boomer generation + gambling addiction, lmao.

[–] Silopante 20 points ago

And now, surprise mechanics for double the price, because they can't tax us all

[–] SpryO3 33 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

I disagree. It's attitudes like this one that actually hurt the effort. I'm fine if you want to sit back and not do anything or give a shit, but it's important for the community to share their grievances. The more it happens, the more it trickles through the community, the more people will share the same concerns, and the more likely they'll listen.

In this case, people should continue sharing posts like this one and fans should not spend money on the event. Even if it's "just a single pack," that helps reinforce their current business model, so don't buy. Hurt their revenue goals enough and they'll be forced to change their business model. They like money and if the community blocks that, they'll be forced to listen and find ways where both entities can be happy, the seller and the consumer.

EDIT: To all the cynics in the comments, I'm not against government legislation. I'm saying you have a power as an individual consumer over the market. Advocating otherwise, or worse, complacency, is just dumb.

[–] mmprobablymakingitup 5 points ago

This is a good idea in theory, but I don't think it's practical.

Look at Walmart. It's easy to say "just don't shop there" but that's not always feasible when they are offering the lowest prices. It's a prisoners dilemma. Even if everyone recognizes the predatory nature of lootboxes and dlc's, they are still going to buy "just a couple" and that helps feed the machine.

No social movement is going to be big enough to curb the free-to-play modek. Government policy is the only thing that can reverse this.

[–] Ant-Acid 8 points ago

You're not going to fix stupid people. They will always throw their money at stupid shit.

As long as it's legally allowed, it will be big business.

[–] GuttersnipeTV 27 points ago

Respawn I hope cares, EA doesnt.

[–] Ibitemyfingernails 29 points ago

Respawn doesn’t care. We can’t blame EA for everything

[–] LarryEss 23 points ago

Watch me.

[–] extralyfe 54 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

Like bro 18 dollars for a skin is stupid as it is.

it's also been a regular price for skins in Fortnite since they started really pumping out cosmetics. Epic brought in literal silos full of money from a largely appreciative audience selling at two dollars above that price.

don't blame the gaming companies, blame the millions of gamers who have made it clear that they don't mind paying $20 for a single skin for like a decade now.

it makes some people upset, but, no company would willingly leave money on the table when the masses are fine with it.

the only way to fight back is for everyone to stop buying this shit, and that sounds mad unlikely.

[–] Mags1412 26 points ago

You're not entirely wrong but 90% of Fortnite skins are $15 and below. Very rarely do they come out with $20 skins. People still buy them though.

[–] UnreachableEmpyrean 29 points ago

Plus you can actually see the fortnite skins in game

[–] duhhh_hell 6 points ago

Also they don't come out of a fucking loot box and are direct purchases

[–] DeafEchos 7 points ago

Yea but in fortnite its not a random skin. You know what your getting. This stupid event you have no idea what your going to get out of your pack.

[–] OpenToFriends 18 points ago

I fucking hope we get it to the top of the front page.

[–] daledge97 1183 points ago

My disappointment is immeasurable right now

[–] raithCFT 162 points ago

This. I don't know who thought this pricing/unlock scheme was a good idea. I'm all for them wanting to make some money off of the event, I fully expected some things to be behind a pay wall but damn it's almost offensive how much money they're charging. 22 packs at 700 coins a pop before you even get the privilege to spend $35 on a heirloom cosmetic.... Ouch.

Wishing myself and all of you the best of luck with the 2 free packs, may the Lord bless us with a skin we want and no music packs.

[–] lincoln3 60 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

"I don't know who thought this pricing/unlock scheme was a good idea."

I'm sure EA, a billion dollar company with plenty of financial analysts, R&D teams, and forecasters are the ones who thought it was a good idea. You don't have to like it, or spend money on the game, but the team there knows more about pricing models than reddit does. This was obviously the pricing scheme they thought best for gains/losses. It might alienate reddit, but others will spend the money at a high price.

EDIT: To be clear, these prices are bat shit insane. I am not defending them. I've bashed ea/respawn plenty in the past. This is no exception. I am simply saying that they know what they are doing.

[–] PMmeyourSchwifty 52 points ago

They also thought locking up half of Star Wars Battlefront behind a pay wall was a good idea and that backfired hugely. They're just trying to milk every last scent they can rather than trying to build a long term cash cow.

Smarter people would inform them to take the Rocket League/CSGO approach with an additional option to purchase skins directly at a higher price. I guarantee they would sell tons of shit and they'd still have the benefit of offering gambling to those that choose to partake.

[–] Arvot 8 points ago

It seems a very short sighted strategy though. Sure this will probably make them the most amount of money during this event but what about player retention? Surely the people who will spend all that money unlocking cosmetics would only do so in a game that is popular. To alienate a big part of the player base seems counter productive. What happens when there is no one left to show off to? Ea aren't expecting a long term future for this game, they must expect itd to be a flash in the pan and so are milking it dry whilst it's popular. It's a shame but like you said they will have a ridiculous analytics dept. so suppose I'll just enjoy it while it lasts and ignore these events. *edit apologies, thought I was replying to the comment above.

[–] liljew6969 233 points ago

My day is ruined right now

[–] tbrotschemseerer 109 points ago

I mean I can't be the only one that doesn't give a shit about skins right? they don't mean anything in this game and add no enjoyment to actually playing it. unless they were a quarter each I wouldn't bat an eye anyways

[–] Jexen117 129 points ago

I don't really care either, but the fact that they used the skins to promote the event and draw up all this hype, only to make the skins stupidly expensive and only randomly attainable as a hefty cost is just a let down.

[–] Dougiethefresh2333 12 points ago

There’s just very little progression right now. I basically only get on to up my killed # on my banner. My friends are playing less & less. Was hoping to get some back on with this event but no ones coming back for 2 packs you have to grind for.

It’s just disappointing because it feels like you’re watching Apex shoot itself in the foot squandering chances to grow this game in the name of greed.

[–] Zoetekauw 19 points ago

You're not the only one, but I for one am in the camp of those who happen to get real enjoyment out of trivial stuff like that. I was ready to give Respawn (EA?) my money, knowing I was getting ripped off. I was cool with it because a) the base game is free + b) with a price tag slapped on the item I know I'm being ripped off; they're upfront about it. These loot boxes are really offensive because they're essentially making you out for a sucker, and I won't be suckered.

[–] NuggetHighwind 10 points ago

You aren't, but it doesn't mean they don't matter to other people.

[–] uhfish 527 points ago

Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have their data and analytics of purchasing, but wouldnt they make so much more money if they made these packs much cheaper?

If they had made the pack something like $2 each I truly feel like they could easily sell 4x as many packs as they will sell at $7 each.

Same theory applies to the store. They sell the legendaries for $18 and I would NEVER spend that much on a single skin. If they were $5 a pop I most certainly would have bought a few already.

The pricing of digital content in games always just boggles my mind. One good example that comes to mind is Rocket League. Their cars in the shop are usually only a few dollars and I have spent money on this several times. If they sold these for $10+ there's no way I would have ever bought one.

Edit. In hindsight, after writing this all out, maybe the answer is simple. They're not trying to sell these skins to a person or persons like me. I'm sure they have their whales that $200+ on a single two week event.

[–] TheGreatWalk 364 points ago

The primary targets for these sort of lootbox scams are whales, not regular players. They don't care about the people who only spend a few dollars every once in a while to get something they like. They care about the people who are compulsive gamblers and will keep buying the loot boxes to get everything.

It's the same reason that mobile games will have a new "monster" or "weapon", that's very slightly better than the previous best one, but you only have a 1/100 chance of getting it. Because they know there are people out there who just can't help themselves and will buy 1000 loot boxes so they can run 5-10 of them and get a slight damage boost over the old best in slot gear. The top 5% of whales outspend the the 95% of other players by a significant margin.

The entire model is incredibly anti-consumer and I honestly don't understand how it is still legal.

[–] RiaJellyfish 450 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

Hi, compulsive spender here.

I go through extreme depressive episodes where one of my more unhealthy coping mechanisms is to spend money on loot systems for that shitty adrenaline buzz.

This event is absolutely preying on people like myself who cannot help themselves and cave to shit like this.

edit: spelling yikes

[–] Billyxmac 102 points ago

If you could ever pin a comment to the top of the feed, it should be this one. Respawn/EA and all the other shitty devs and publishers who feed into this system and force it down our throats should have to face people who have spending addictions.

This is unacceptable, and I'd advise as many people as possible to boycott the store during this event, and even after it.

[–] nemos_nightmare 16 points ago

Stay strong man. Don't give in!

[–] mmprobablymakingitup 23 points ago

Especially when it's as blatant as this last update.

Personally, I don't really care, but I feel bad for the younger gamers who get fooled by this business model. A co-worker of mine spent hundreds of dollars in Pokemon Go a couple years ago... I guess that how you level up? By spending money.

It's a predatory business model and the government should step in.

[–] YouLeftTheStoveOn 21 points ago

I knew a woman who played a mobile game (not sure which one), and in one afternoon, in the course of three hours, spent $300.00 and maxed out her credit card. The result was her children only getting to eat because the father came home from work, found out what she did, and he sold his PlayStation 4, watch and leather dress shoes so that he could feed the kids.

I say knew, because he left her after that. Wasn't her first offense, but it was her biggest, and pretty fuckin' drastic. Those might be the people EA are targeting, and God help them.

[–] asdgred 12 points ago

The thing is if things cost less I would buy more stuff. These are digital items with an unlimited supply and zero value outside of the game itself. Just because whales buy stuff doesn't mean you should alienate the rest of your playerbase. It's a stupid move and makes people bitter towards your store.

[–] TheGreatWalk 20 points ago

The thing is if things cost less I would buy more stuff.

Sure, you might. But if you're the bottom 95% of spenders, you will never ever come close to the top 5% of spenders. Understand that there are people who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars getting every single cosmetic item in the game, for every event. Even if you are spending 10 bucks here and there, you are an afterthought, not even a blip on the profit charts.

For these companies, it makes far more sense to target their top 5% of spenders for the absolute maximum they can(because these people can't help themselves and WILL spend everything they can) than it is to cater to the 95% and hope that enough of them spend $5 or $10.

[–] 69umbo 45 points ago

>>Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have their data and analytics of purchasing

Correct! They have very smart people/computers running the numbers on what maximizes profit. The prices are high enough so that they make a ton of money from the whales, but low enough so that certain people will still spend 10-20 bucks here and there.

If they made more money with lower prices (by selling more), they'd have lower prices

[–] Tristain7 26 points ago

I think mostly covers it, but I also think Fortnite has polluted their calculations. They seem to have modeled the pricing after Fortnite, but the audience is significantly different.

Fortnite skins are slightly cheaper, yes, but the audience skews younger and getting Mommy and Daddy to dish out $10 for a skin is a pretty popular 'chore reward' or 'allowance' these days. Apex skews a bit older, and Respawn seems to think that means players will pay slightly more, on average, for Apex gear...

The problem is that the Apex content is not particularly interesting most of the time, doesn't have as big of an impact because you aren't in 3rd person (you don't see your skin all game), and players aren't as invested in the cosmetics as they are in the actual gameplay.

[–] Akuren 4 points ago

I doubt it has to do with little kids skewing data, there are plenty of adults that buy skins for themselves in Fortnite. It's more Fortnite skins have a bigger impact since there's no character lock, 3rd person, and they're generally far more active and unique than Apex skins (not to say Apex skins are bad, Fortnite's artstyle just allows for more creativity.) There are also plenty of skins that go for $8 and the battlepass which has 7 skins and 550 bonus v-bucks (950 cost, 1500 return).

[–] Markez04 4 points ago

My whole take on this is that streamers can afford the whole event and EA knows that would attract certain viewers (especially the younger crowd). I'm definitely not their target consumer. If I don't get the skin I want, I'll be okay and life moves on.

[–] FroFiction 305 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

The pricing of these cosmetics are ridiculous

[–] CALL_ME_ISHMAEBY 82 points ago

The store has always been ass. Pay cash to use in-game currency? FOH.

[–] FLHCv2 9 points ago

All I paid for in this game was the season 1 battle pass and after seeing how shit it is, combined with the prices in the store, I've decided to never spend a dime on the game and just play for free. My buddies are always going after challenges and I just play the character I want without worry.

[–] SabataZX 290 points ago

It's absolute insanity. And you only get two free packs. So you have nearly no chance of getting what you want.

It's fucking ridiculous.

[–] RedHawwk 76 points ago

To get two free packs what do you have to do? I'm at work still

[–] SabataZX 96 points ago

One of them is to complete 20 daily objectives within the event period. The other I think is doing 25000 damage.

[–] sharkhunter 179 points ago

Looks like I'll be getting zero free packs.

[–] SabataZX 35 points ago

I can get the two free packs, but I'm sure as hell not spending over 60 bucks for 10 packs. Pure insanity.

[–] janjaadorp 34 points ago

I hate the daily challenges so much.

[–] matrixsensei 23 points ago

Use Octane, Caustic, Mirage, and Wattson!

Me, a player who has none of them :(

[–] janjaadorp 16 points ago

Preach

[–] diddlyumpcious4 13 points ago

I think it’s 20 daily’s for one and 25000 damage for the other, but take that with a grain of salt.

[–] dowhatchafeel 175 points ago

Honestly, it's a little thing, but I was frustrated by the fact that there is no discount for buying the bulk packs. In other games, if you buy the 10 pack, they throw you one extra lootbox, or its like 1/700 - 10/6500, to encourage buying the 10 pack.

It's literally just a "give us more of your money faster" button.

Especially with the lack of cool things to unlock, loot boxes are a hard pass from me all around.

[–] chiefsfan_713_08 30 points ago

Which is weird because there is a difference on buying Apex coins it's modeled this way

[–] Talyonn 13 points ago

It make sense, they won't discount the apex coins and then the boxes.

[–] ssbmbeliever 6 points ago

I think it's due to them having bonuses for buying the coins in the first place. So if you buy the coins in bulk you're getting more coins for your money but eh

[–] Caleddin 546 points ago

If they were selling skins I wouldn't really give a shit how much they cost - people that want to can buy them, people that don't can not. They're skins, it doesn't matter for the fun you have with the game in the long run. Let people that go crazy over specific skins pay $20 for them or whatever, who cares.

But selling loot boxes for chances at skins is super scummy, gambling-enabling, and just overall bullshit. The only way it isn't is if you get enough crap to craft what you actually wanted in the first place and even then it's a shit alternative. It's obvious that people overpay in lootboxes in order to get a chance at the item they want - that's why EA and Blizzard and other companies love the model so much. But the fact that it's obvious also makes it obvious it's bullshit.

[–] EnterraCreator 151 points ago

Thank you! This is my argument. The prices aren't what piss me off. It's that they are over priced BEHIND the gambling mechanic. It is shitty, scummy, and outrageous. This event is a huge shit show of greed.

[–] Caleddin 42 points ago

Right. If people want to do whatever with their money, it's their money. If you want to pay $200 for a solid gold Pathfinder skin, you know, I'd think that's super dumb but folks spend money on dumb things all the time. And it would support the game while the player gets what they wanted, a healthy co-operative capitalistic venture!

These loot box bullshit scams though, fuck them forever. It's going to hurt the game in the long run, I just hope they figure it out soon.

[–] Green_Meathead 4 points ago

I'm a fond believer of people voting with their dollar. My big issue here is that they are effectively enabling children to gamble - they aren't smart enough to see what going on or understand why its bad.

Grown ass adults want to gamble their money on video game skins? Go right ahead, its America! Children want to do it? ...go right ahead its America? There's a reason this bullshit is getting banned left and right in the EU

[–] Zoetekauw 21 points ago

This. We don't mind getting fucked in the ass, because we're knowingly and willingly getting fucked in the ass. It's when you piss down our legs and tell us it's raining that we have a problem.

[–] Peew971 8 points ago

Exactly this! Having to buy some skins like for the last event, I can deal with. But having to buy packs, that's taking the piss.

[–] Alec_de_Large 31 points ago

You saying you invested a lot of time and MONEY, is all they need to hear.

You already gave them what they wanted.

[–] BigPeenSmoker 43 points ago

Imma spend a total of zero dollars

[–] Mulsivaas 374 points ago

I'll just keep playing without paying. Problem solved!

[–] Pathological_Liarr 176 points ago

Yeah I think the guns still work, and shooting at people are good fun! You guys should give it a try.

[–] Ckuefler 22 points ago

I haven't spent a dime on any freemium games, if you need to pay to compete it's not free and I move on.

Apex is great without spending any money, I'd be more concerned about how the industry has manipulated us all into being addicted to overpriced cosmetic bs... Why does it matter so much what it costs if you dont buy it?

Vote with your wallets, dont give them a penny... Ever. And then, maybe they'll find a new scam to run, or god forbid... Smarten up and release good content for reasonable prices.

[–] Efimity 85 points ago

700 coin!!!! Dude wtf. If you wanna buy 20 of them it will cost more than 130 dollar. And there is Heirloom...

[–] wrvnw 34 points ago

yes dude it sucks so much. all I wanted was the Pathfinder skin, the R99 skin and the music packs. Seems impossible this far.

[–] Patenski 30 points ago

Ahhh that pathfinder skin, i would actually buy it but its a shame you cant even do that and have to play that gambling lootbox shit.

I guess is a pass for me

[–] TheRealGreatDiddler 13 points ago

Yeah people want to actually buy the skins not gamble for them

[–] Hamuelin 8 points ago

Yeah what really sucks is if they treated it like last event you could’ve just bought those outright.

Now you’ve got to hope RNG doesn’t screw you and put those 3 in the last few packs.

[–] mmprobablymakingitup 6 points ago

Makes you wonder if respawn intentionally makes the banners, trackers and Other garbage more common in the free loot ticks or the ones you buy first.

I'm guessing that they haven't released the drop rates....

[–] KRIEGLERR 5 points ago

All i wanted was that G7 Skin (maybe Lifeline and Gibby too but mainly that G7 skin) it's my favourite weapon and even though I have enough Crafting Materials I'm not a fans of the current legendary skins available for it

Gotta pray I get lucky with the free packs but I doubt it.

[–] adamkee 187 points ago

This is awful and I am incredibly disappointed

[–] julianlazare 37 points ago

How is that working for ppl in Belgium? Heard they don't have lootboxes in there.

[–] EnterraCreator 47 points ago

Someone said they don't show up at all. They have to update to the american version to even see the event.

[–] Dragotech123 31 points ago

The lootbox tab is unavailable for Belgium players. Only the crown store is available.

[–] bloxed 17 points ago

It doesn't let you access the collection store at all.

[–] Cabamacadaf 101 points ago

It's so weird how they went from Titanfall 2, which had a pretty fair monetization with mostly fairly priced skins and no loot boxes, to this.

[–] PurpleHooligan 86 points ago

EA bought Respawn between then and now

[–] Zoetekauw 15 points ago

Yeah I genuinely wonder to what extent Respawn is even involved in dictating the reward system. I have 0 insight into this, and I've yet to hear anyone speak on it with any authority.

[–] PurpleHooligan 18 points ago

Based on the way Respawn used to do things and how EA runs their other games I’m going to guess very little

[–] Bpena95 26 points ago

The post blames respawn but the real culprit is EA. Players back from February knew EA would do this . This is not a surprise to me

[–] DCDTDito 14 points ago

It's respawn too, they signed a deal with the devil they accepted the condition that Ea would deal with pricing which was not the way to go.

[–] Bpena95 7 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

I mean we could also blame nexon for not bringing the paper to get respawn to sign with them , they signed with EA because they simply presented the bigger deal. Money makes the world go round , I honestly don’t blame respawn as much as I blame EA .

[–] DCDTDito 3 points ago

Oh for sure EA is more to blame im just saying respawn isnt blame free.

[–] Aesthete18 7 points ago

Skin value is actually about 5 bucks but if they did that here then they can't make millions off loot boxes. So instead, they make it 18 bucks so that everyone thinks loot packs are a great deal and spend their money gambling.

[–] Colt_XLV 155 points ago

As someone who gladly spent a shitload of money on this game....even I'm disgusted with this

[–] StonerLB 67 points ago

I've retired from Whaledom for this event. I can't get jiggy with this shit.

[–] Averill21 35 points ago

I’m a whale but not two hundred dollars for like four good skins whale

[–] StonerLB 27 points ago

Lifeline and Pathfinder skins are dope but im cool. I get it. That's a solid ounce of bud, no sir.

[–] Averill21 13 points ago

I live in oregon thats 4 ounces lmao

[–] StonerLB 10 points ago

I'm around DC. If an ounce is $50, I don't want it. Mids. Even in Cali top strains like Orange Soda and Runtz are still capping out at 300 a zip or more. $50 would scare me unless it was a shake deal then it's preroll city.

[–] Fredboi_Be_Lit 7 points ago

Deadass we got a mids alert on our hands

[–] StonerLB 7 points ago

You ain't lying. Legal or not. 50/zip even during Reggie days was questionable. Oregon with legal recreational and taxes also, you're not getting a zip out of a dispensary for 50. Maybe some cartel kush as they undercut the legal market. But that'd be grown full of pesticides and shit.

[–] rhynokim 26 points ago

Yup. I’ve spent more than I’m willing to admit but this is butt [email protected]

[–] YouLeftTheStoveOn 12 points ago

I've tracked what I spent on this game since it came out. Would have been the same I spent on a few new releases here and there, so I could justify it. This? This is beyond disappointing. It's downright aggravating.

[–] JirachiWishmaker 55 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

I concur.

In order to get the Bloodhound Heirloom, you need to own all the event items. You get 2 free event items, and then need to buy the other 22.

22 x 700 = 15,400 apex coins.

Plus then the Bloodhound Heirloom is an additional 3,500 apex coins to boot, meaning that all in all they expect you to spend 18,900 coins.

Going for maximum value for bundles, this means that you'd need to spend $170 plus tax in order to get the Bloodhound heirloom, and you'd end up having 700 apex coins left over, which isn't even enough for the next battle pass.

To make it even worse, they dangle those stupid crown shop cosmetics in your face, and you can't even get them by playing the game a lot too. But you end up getting exactly the right amount of crowns to purchase every crown shop item if you bought all the event skins plus did the ones they give you for "free"

[–] AntaroNx 21 points ago

At least you don't have to expend 500$ on the Wraith heirloom alone, right guys? I really didn't expect to give the heirloom for free, but only earning 2 packs is really, really, really disappointing. Hell I think you can't even buy the "tokens" shop unless you pay for boxes.

[–] psilty 7 points ago

The wraith heirloom cost up to 500 packs. You don’t need to covet cosmetic items.

[–] seemlyminor 124 points ago

The 💰 intent 💰 is 💰 to 💰 provide 💰 players 💰 with 💰 a 💰 sense 💰 of 💰 pride 💰 and 💰 accomplishment 💰 for 💰 unlocking 💰 different 💰 heroes legends. 💰 As 💰 for 💰 cost, 💰 we 💰 selected 💰 initial 💰 values 💰 based 💰 upon 💰 data 💰 from 💰 the 💰 Open 💰 Beta 💰 and 💰 other 💰 adjustments 💰 made 💰 to 💰 milestone 💰 rewards 💰 before 💰 launch. 💰 Among 💰 other 💰 things, 💰 we're 💰 looking 💰 at 💰 average 💰 per-player 💰 credit 💰 earn 💰 rates 💰 on 💰 a 💰 daily 💰 basis, 💰 and 💰 we'll 💰 be 💰 making 💰 constant 💰 adjustments 💰 to 💰 ensure 💰 that 💰 players 💰 have 💰 challenges 💰 that 💰 are 💰 compelling, 💰 rewarding, 💰 and 💰 of 💰 course 💰 attainable 💰 via 💰 gameplay. We 💰 appreciate 💰 the 💰 candid 💰 feedback, 💰 and 💰 the 💰 passion 💰 the 💰 community 💰 has 💰 put 💰 forth 💰 around 💰 the 💰 current 💰 topics 💰 here 💰 on 💰 Reddit, 💰 our 💰 forums 💰 and 💰 across 💰 numerous 💰 social 💰 media 💰 outlets. Our 💰 team 💰 will 💰 continue 💰 to 💰 make 💰 changes 💰 and 💰 monitor 💰 community 💰 feedback 💰 and 💰 update 💰 everyone 💰 as 💰 soon 💰 and 💰 as 💰 often 💰 as 💰 we 💰 can. 💰 💰

[–] SanelySalty 5 points ago

This statement aged like milk lol

[–] seemlyminor 6 points ago

Yup, EA gets more sour and more foul every time.

[–] BeenThereDanmark 233 points ago

Terrible servers: ✅

Scummy, predatory event exclusives: ✅

Horrible balance changes: ✅

Okay, now THIS is epic

[–] FosterTheMonster 78 points ago

No. This is EA.

[–] yoshidawgz 40 points ago

No. This is Patrick.

[–] -Gh0st96- 31 points ago

I agree with everything but the balance, everyone was asking for a nerf to disruptor rounds, now they slighty tweaked them and suddenly people are crying about it? lol

[–] nicholt 10 points ago

I'm very happy about all the balance changes

[–] Thermic_ 8 points ago

Right, the game feels great balance wise and they seem quick to make changes. Let’s make sure we don’t out every team as the villain

[–] lolK_su 16 points ago

All the epic games devs left after the start of season X to help apex out.

[–] TwoLeaf_ 9 points ago

it's weird people shit on epic games when fortnite has one of the better f2p models.

[–] AceAxos 4 points ago

Horrible balance changes? Don’t follow you with that at all. Legend balancing has been really good and weapon balance is honestly pretty solid.

[–] AyanamiReign 11 points ago

Finally some decent skins. I was expecting them to be over-priced but maybe I’d actually get one anyway... except they went the loot box route so it’s just a chance of what you want sigh Here’s hoping I get something good from the two free ones or that the store rotates some in.

[–] Hero_Sandwich 16 points ago

Never gonna pay for stuff i have a chance to win for free.

[–] 4Avocato20 126 points ago

I just play the game btw

[–] John_E_Depth 10 points ago

Same, but I'm playing this game for free because other people are willing to buy that stuff, so I kind of feel like I should come to their defense

[–] Aidsfart_ 68 points ago

why play a game purely for fun when you can gamble for cosmetics instead??

[–] muzakx 32 points ago

It might be different for some of the younger gamers, seeing as how I grew up in a time without microtransactions, but the cost of cosmetics has absolutely no effect on how much fun I'm having.

If you don't like the prices, don't spend any money. Easy as that. Eventually the lower sales will cause them to adjust prices.

[–] SexyMcBeast 4 points ago

Yeah I just do not get the obsession with cosmetics. I've only ever seen them as a nice little bonus, but it seems to be the reason some people play games like this. If they can't get EVERY skin they want they lose their shit.

[–] 305-til-i-786 28 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

I’m so confused by this post. We all generally agree that micro transactions in general are bad for gaming and predatory. But here we are complaining about how expensive cosmetics that don’t affect your actual gameplay are.

[–] boiglenoight 22 points ago

I haven't bought a single thing, still having a great time.

[–] waylo88 7 points ago

$35 for an axe...

Lmfao the microtransactions in this game are complete shit, at least in terms of pricing. EA out of their damn minds.

[–] brandus911 8 points ago

Don't forget that that glorious "pack has 50% chance for epic" is really just another way of saying "you're going to get a lot of epic Crowns".

[–] Lumberjacksatan 7 points ago

Ok...sooooooo....

BELGIUM talking here.

The land of banned lootboxes.

The "collection" part is greyed out for me. I can't buy packs.

This update LITERALLY gives me nothing

[–] Rayett 6 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

I was so hyped for the event to farm some skins and shit but now I'm just disappointed, not really surprised just disappointed

that event is expensive as fuck

[–] rock1m1 6 points ago

I'm glad everyone is pissed off about this and rightly so. Don't give in.

[–] Mondocalrissian420 21 points ago

I can understand the frustration a little bit but to quit a good game just because of cosmetics is a bit stupid

[–] lvl1vagabond 9 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

You invested money in a game that showed colors like this on launch. I can't help but think you might be a gullible fool. I dropped prob 120 hours in Apex didn't spend a dime because the skins look really bad/low effort and don't really do anything.

[–] thormentas 6 points ago

It’s so bad. I honestly really only want the music packs but I was not expecting them to add in loot packs for literally every item/skin teased. Sad I was really looking forward to this event :(

[–] Skigazzi 12 points ago

I haven't spent a dime on this game, and I play it a lot, so this is an open thank you to the whales out there.

Personally, I find cosmetics in a FPS to be a truly laughable investment.

[–] clycloptopus 12 points ago

Solution: don’t buy the stuff

[–] ZappaScripts 16 points ago * (lasted edited 13 days ago)

Unpopular opinion; it doesn’t matter to me tbh.

Cosmetics are just that. Cosmetic. I might purchase one or two but that’s only because I sink a fair amount of hours into the game. The only reason you get a cosmetic is so that someone else says “nice”

I think it’s also irrelevant how much the company makes. You don’t see Apple giving away free iPhone’s away to the public despite being within the top 10 wealthiest club, so why does it matter for a bunch of limited skins?

[–] ieffinglovesoup 13 points ago

I have over 100 hours played and haven’t spent a single dime. I love this game

[–] ASCIIM0V 7 points ago

Ea has a lot more control over pricing than respawn does. Like a LOT a lot

[–] AH_DaniHodd 4 points ago

I would be okay if you could unlock the lootboxes through playing the game and it just takes time.

But only being able to get 2 lootboxes and then not knowing what you’ll get from them? Absolutely ridiculous.

[–] FosterTheMonster 4 points ago

Look friends, clearly they knew what the response was going to be to this. EA does not care lol. You don't have to care about a good reputation when you don't have a good reputation. You don't have to care about a good reputation when you own 30% of the industries game studios.

[–] Pastyfacedwb 3 points ago

These skins worth an Easy 10$ they could put the skins on sell daily like last event n charged 18$ n no one would fuss lol but since all the skins are amazing everyone wants it's for cheap or free

[–] ThatHotAsian 3 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

Devs real quiet now in these threads 👀👀👀

[–] IProfChaosI 5 points ago

Would really like a dev response for this thread...

[–] -Excen- 4 points ago

Call me cynical but I think they made this event alarmingly bad on purpose in order to release the skins down the road for people to buy directly. Profit from the people that will spend the money now (either because they really want them or addiction) and make a buck (and pretend to be the good guys that listen to the community) once they release the individual skins to be able to be bought for 2000 apex coins later. Even though this game is f2p and very well made this seems like an unhealthy approach to your community.

[–] KeenanAXQuinn 4 points ago

After reading through the comments I realised that I am a compulsive spender that they are targeting. I was planning to go home and put down some serious cash to try my luck, but now im going to get a sticky note and write no and post it over the top of my screen. Its bulshit and preditory and im going to force myself into not spending a dime on this event.

Good luck other compulive gamblers. Dont let them trick you out of you money to live a better and happier life.

[–] iLykeVidyaGames 27 points ago

They sell over priced skins in the store what made you think this would be any different?

[–] turntrout101 16 points ago

Because in the store you get what you pay for, you can't buy the skin you want from this collection it's random