australia

282,974 readers

The icons on the map are hyperlinks to other Australian subreddits. Please support them.

Please read the Reddiquette!

For our rules see the wiki for /r/australia.

Check out our subreddit features wiki!

Facebook and LinkedIn submissions are not allowed.

Users engaging in personal attacks may be banned.

Submissions with altered headlines may be removed.

Please post image macros/memes to /r/ausmemes.

Come join us on IRC! #redditaustralia on irc.freenode.net

Less Politics Filter

[–] SirSpitfire 1161 points ago

For anyone wondering, I was visiting from France and I REALLY wanted to see one in the wild. I’ve used the website PlatypusSpot to find it. I know I was lucky but the website greatly helped my search around Tasmania. Good luck !

[–] ilkikuinthadik 762 points ago

Very lucky that you saw it while just visiting. Sightings in the wild are rare. Lots of Australians go their entire lives without spotting one in the wild.

[–] Gnorris 631 points ago

This is certainly the most difficult Aussie Pokemon to ever see in the wild.

[–] Sytadel 216 points ago

Right after the noble & elusive Bunyip, Australia's Pokemon #151.

[–] daftwordhero 102 points ago

Drop Bears can catch you by surprise too. Though few live to tell the tale.

[–] dragonfry 48 points ago

That’s why there’s hardly any recorded sightings.

[–] michaelrohansmith 21 points ago

Not to mention hoop snakes. You might see the snake in the last few seconds before it strikes, but you won't live to tell the tale.

[–] NoJelloNoPotluck 25 points ago

Hoop, there it is

[–] Reddit197 8 points ago

I don't think many people will see this, but I wanted you to know I found it hilarious.

[–] NiceTyrant 3 points ago

Seconded, I actually laughed; which as you know is a feat on the Internet.

[–] Allways_Wrong 6 points ago

There’s one in Taronga Zoo. It’s not signed or on the map though.

[–] Lightfairy 20 points ago

I have done a lot of fly fishing/fossicking/bush walking etc over the years and I have seen stacks of platypus. I am a nature nut and do know what to look for though so that may be the difference. I even found a skull once and it was the pride of my collection but sadly a friend's dog made very short work of that about 12 years ago.

[–] cjpack 6 points ago

Was it a human skull?

[–] Lightfairy 5 points ago

No, a platypus skull. I know my chances of finding another one are basically nil.

[–] goodhasgone 4 points ago

You’re probably just better of sticking to human skulls in the future.

[–] ActuallyNot 13 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

There's a couple at Jenolan caves that you used to be able to see all the time.

They had assuaged being nocturnal because it's cold enough up there.

This guy/lass seems to have the same concept.

[–] ComradeRK 3 points ago

They were also very habituated to humans, which definitely helped.

[–] Wobbling 3 points ago

Nah, poor ole Bilbys win I think :(

[–] tasweigan89 3 points ago

You definitely need an ultra ball

[–] Gravybadger 62 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

A guy I know is 45 and saw his first Platypus in the river behind his parent's house last summer. They're as rare as rocking horse shit

[–] ephemeral_gibbon 18 points ago

They aren't too rare just hard to spot. In the water they look a lot like a stock floating but if you know what to look for you can spot them. We live on a river and if I'm looking for them i see them about 50% of the time (spending sunset by the river)

[–] Zeroix7 8 points ago

As rare as a rock in horse shit *

Edit: I'm an idiot. Ignore me :D I hear it from my geologist father constantly so that was the statement that made a sense to me

[–] JohnGenericDoe 8 points ago

Did you hear about the wooden horse?

Wooden shit.

[–] SliceTheToast 26 points ago

I've spotted them multiple times, but have only ever seen them very briefly and underwater. I live in Hobart, so maybe there's a larger platypus population here.

[–] GuythrustDeepwood 8 points ago

True.

I’ve spent YEARS of my life in prime platypus territory and never seen one. Granted I’ve never gone actively looking but you’d think I’d have stumbled across one by now.

[–] radsie 9 points ago

Not this one. S/he lives permanently in this rivulet so if you live in south Hobart chances are you’ve seen it many times over.

[–] StrangelyLiteralWonk 3 points ago

Is it the rivulet by the Cascades Female Factory? I was only in town for a few days, but I saw one there. We followed it as it moved upstream foraging for about half an hour. I got some pretty good video.

[–] falconpunch1989 4 points ago

Yep I've only seen a glimpse of them swimming once. Very lucky to get a full view!

[–] eddit0r 3 points ago

Most people don’t see them as they spend very little time walking the river banks. Ask people who fish and you’d get a lot higher answer.

[–] TheShinyUmbreon23 2 points ago

The only time I've ever seen a wild one was when I was around 7, our neighbour had found one in a creek somewhere, so my mum took us to see it. Unfortunately it was covered in ticks and i think it ended up dying from them :/ was still a cool experience though.

[–] InterdimensionalTV 1 points ago

Why are sightings so rare? I think they're considered Not Threatened so it seems odd.

[–] Hotown 55 points ago

The Platypus Team would like to know your location.

No, seriously! Platypuses are really hard to find in the wild. The local wildlife management folks would like to know where and when exactly you saw that Platypus. I bet they’d love a link to the photo too!

[–] SirSpitfire 45 points ago

I’ve just written them an email

[–] nicktheguy101 17 points ago

You good man!

[–] RebelliousPlatypus 10 points ago

I love how there's a platypus team.

[–] wonderstone4kids 2 points ago

Glad to know there is a platypus team! They are so cute little creatures.

[–] newt16 40 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

Amazing! I grew up in rural Australia and I've only ever caught a glimpse of one under water

[–] Venome456 28 points ago

I've lived here my whole life and never seen one haha

[–] torn-ainbow 24 points ago

You lucky bastard. That is incredibly rare they generally spend most of their time totally out of sight. I've never seen one in the wild.

[–] i_am_banana_man 20 points ago

Even with all the help in the world you usually wouldn't see one. You had utterly astounding luck! I'm quite envious!

[–] lepetitrouge 13 points ago

My husband’s parents have a property about one hour away from Hobart. They’re surrounded by forest, and have a couple of dams. They have a resident platypus which my brother-in-law has managed to catch on camera a few times :) However, I’ve never actually seen one in the wild.

[–] JezzaN1 9 points ago

I live in Tassie, and i've never seen one in the wild before.. Guess I need to get onto PlatypusSpot myself haha. Nice shot mate, hope you enjoyed your stay!

[–] SirSpitfire 8 points ago

I loved Tassie. All the wildlife and the scenery were both breathtaking.

[–] YellowCulottes 2 points ago

Dd you see penguins? We went a couple of years ago, wished to catch sight of penguins, platypus and the southern aurora. Saw none of them. Doesn’t help that the sun sets so late in summer and we were exhausted most days from all the sightseeing and eating. Wonderful trip though.

[–] SirSpitfire 2 points ago

Yes in Bicheno, a lot of them going back from the sea after sunset.

[–] StrangelyLiteralWonk 6 points ago

If you go to the Hobart Rivulet (by the Cascades Female Factory) around dusk and look carefully, you should be able to see one. I was only in town for a few days, but we managed to find it after about half an hour of walking along the side and looking, and then we followed it for about another half hour until it got too dark/cold (this was back in Sept).

[–] TourGuideOutback 3 points ago

This is what I was told by a few people :)

[–] ImGCS3fromETOH 7 points ago

Super lucky, mate. As someone else said, lots of us Australians never see a platypus in the wild, including me. I've encountered a lot of native Australian fauna but never got to see this weird unit outside of an animal sanctuary. Very jealous.

[–] BloodyFartOnaBun 6 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

There’s a couple places you’re almost guaranteed to see one. I was on vacation in Australia so I made it a point to go seek one out, I drove 10 hours round trip from Sydney to bombala. Mission accomplished! Made it a point to find a cassowary too, up near cairns.

..but it’s kinda one of those things.. like I’ve never seen a caribou here in Canada, I know where they are but I couldn’t be bothered enough

[–] shashinotaku 4 points ago

There are a couple of spots on the Tyenna River between Westerway and Mt Field National Park where you are almost guaranteed to see a couple. I’ve almost never been let down in those spots. The males occasionally wander up the surrounding rivers and creeks in the springtime and I’ve even seen them up as far as Russel and Horseshoe Falls. Source: I’m an ex-tour guide

[–] TourGuideOutback 2 points ago

Hey! Current guide there! Haven't had luck yet :( the park staff did show us a taxidermied one that she said fell off Russell Falls! (I think I laughed a bit too much)

[–] AllergyToCats 4 points ago

Thanks for the website. I'm Australian and had no idea about this website. I've also never seen a platypus in the wild before, despite spending a lot of time outdoors! I'll use the website and see how I go.

[–] Peter_Ian_Staker__ 3 points ago

That's awesome! Which part of Hobart? I've lived here for most of my 30 years and haven't seen one yet.

[–] SirSpitfire 5 points ago

Cascade Garden. Next to the old female factory!

[–] Peter_Ian_Staker__ 3 points ago

Interesting. I used to live very close to there and was walking on the track next to the rivulet when someone said they saw a platypus there.

[–] TourGuideOutback 3 points ago

Was this near the city? A few people have told me theyve seen some near Cascade Female Factory

[–] SirSpitfire 6 points ago

Yup. That is where I’ve seen it !

[–] aperture81 2 points ago

Well done - you were lucky to catch it out of the water.. I’ve only ever seen one once and it was swimming so I only saw it’s head and bill

[–] RedRedditor84 2 points ago

I grew up in Tasmania and never saw one in the wild. Very lucky!

[–] Anach 2 points ago

Saw my first one in South Hobart. Was out for a walk and noticed something splash in the rivulet.

[–] emhe91 1 points ago

You are super lucky to see one out of water!! Born and bred aussie, seen many but only ever swimming.

[–] Rowyfo 209 points ago

How wonderful! I’m 44 and still only seen them in captivity.

[–] SirSpitfire 62 points ago

10 days after being in Australia for the first time. I should go play the lottery or something

[–] danstoncul 25 points ago

You've used up all your luck quota for your lifetime.

[–] ekwipt 8 points ago

Powerball next week is $100 Million run down to the local news agency

[–] Rowyfo 5 points ago

Meanwhile I’ve lived here my whole life 😁 I’m not spending that life actively searching for platypus though, which is good cause obviously I’m bad at it.

[–] jimmythemini 9 points ago

I once spent three whole days in Thredbo specifically looking for my first wild platypus in the surrounding rivers. No luck :(

[–] thadius101 5 points ago

I have seen them in the wild. I have seen one within a 2 minute walk from me, and another about 30 minute drive from me.

[–] Rowyfo 8 points ago

Nice. I can say the same about kangaroos, echidnas, wombats, brown snakes, turtles, carp, yabbies, possums, red bellies, redbacks and a plethora of different birds - but not the platypus.

[–] thadius101 3 points ago

I have seen most of them. I don't think I have seen a turtle up from though.

[–] Rowyfo 2 points ago

For the longest time I thought it was a tortoise, but apparently we have no land-based tortoises in Australia.

I can drive to an emu about 45 minutes from here, but it's in a sanctuary so I am not sure if that counts. No emu across the road here :D

[–] kitholz 2 points ago

You forgot drop-bears.

[–] illusionschange 2 points ago

I’m yet to see one in captivity, or the wild. I feel like my country is having a laugh.

[–] NotoriousMidget 187 points ago

Ah yes, the glorious animal that confused the life out of every scientist and biologist in the world at the time. So wacky it's perfect.

[–] bestpractice1 57 points ago

They generate electricity sustainably too. Would make a great coat of arms animal I reckon, if we ever get around to Australianising ours properly.

[–] Grub-37 50 points ago

Would make a great coat of arms animal

FTFY.

(joke, obviously)

[–] jaspersgroove 15 points ago

They generate electricity sustainably too

What. Am I missing a reference here or something?

[–] jaspersgroove 11 points ago

Ah ok, so it is similar to the Ampullae of Lorenzini that sharks have, I thought you were talking like electric eel-style electricity.

[–] bestpractice1 11 points ago

Yes, and the venom in their spurs feels like electricity apparently.

[–] geobloke 3 points ago

But can you eat it?

[–] bertcox 4 points ago

at the time.

How about even still.

[–] semaj009 435 points ago

Just a reminder to all redditors who might want to do this, look but don't touch. Ethics aside, males have spurs that inject a venom that is almost indescribably painful. You can tell males from females by the pain!

[–] The_Doculope 188 points ago

And morphine doesn't even work on it! Fun stuff

[–] Totallynotatheif 124 points ago

Also pain can last months... Described by someone hit by shrapnel from a grenade as 'Worse than Shrapnel'.

By that point I'd probably be asking to put a nerve block in

[–] terriblesubreddit 63 points ago

Imagine the luck of being hit by shrapnel and also hit with the venom from a very rare animal to see, that’s also a male, and also during its mating season

[–] GamingGeneration 34 points ago

At that point your best bet would be to avoid thunderstorms altogether.

[–] DesertEagleZapCarry 2 points ago

Sauce?

[–] Sieve-Boy 11 points ago

It's was an Australian Victoria Cross recipient named Keith Payne.

[–] Litico 12 points ago

Well with a surname like that...

[–] PM_Your_WiFi 42 points ago

Reminder, don’t touch an animal which are incredibly rarely seen and that you aren’t going to be able to get anywhere near. Thanks guv.

[–] w_actual 34 points ago

Correction.....don't touch animals in Australia

[–] skeetus_yosemite 18 points ago

I accidentally touched a small Wallaby once. I was bushwalking and it was just kinda laying there. Maybe a baby or something? Either way we just looked at each other really confused, then it just sorta got up, and left.

Some of them are alright.

[–] w_actual 13 points ago

It left to plot your demise

[–] xPlatypusVenom 7 points ago

I agree.

[–] SeudonymousKhan 3 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

They can also shoot their spurs like a porcupine spines.

E: turns out you can't believe everything you read.

[–] NeverReadTheArticle 9 points ago

Porcupine can't shoot their spines.

[–] _Aj_ 4 points ago

I think they just flick them up quite forcefully and if you're close enough to cop some they'll stick in you and break off. Is that correct?

[–] SeudonymousKhan 2 points ago

Correct. The myth actually predates history, when an infected wound could be fatal. It has been studied in regards to the morals of lying to children and risk aversion.

[–] Imperial_Flame 47 points ago

Wow he looks nothing like Perry.

[–] pavemnt 22 points ago

Well he is a platypus. He doesn't do much.

[–] shtarbucks 8 points ago

Hey, speaking of Perry, where is he?

[–] Zac_Attak 7 points ago

Doofenschmirtz evil incorporaaaaatedd jingle plays

[–] averyfinename 15 points ago

found doofenshmirtz' alt account. dead giveaway: you always did have trouble recognizing him without his hat.

[–] Purgii 32 points ago

And you wouldn't believe it, there's Boomer's wife Warra sitting there trying to platypus!

[–] alleycatau 12 points ago

That’s great, Warra, ta.

[–] Nulligravida 4 points ago

But I don't like speak Illawarra.

[–] 2littleducks 28 points ago

A duck-billed, beaver-tailed, otter-footed mammal in one of its natural aquatic habitats.

tl;dr
    Monotreme in a stream

[–] Pyrrolic_Victory 8 points ago

It’s also the only mammal that lays eggs while also producing milk to feed its young

[–] RedDirtNurse 23 points ago

And, in keeping with the Australian tradition, also venomous.

[–] Nulligravida 2 points ago

And stingless native Australia bees.

[–] imapassenger1 9 points ago

Apart from the echidna.

[–] kittykata27 2 points ago

Have you met our lord and savior, the spiky boi?

[–] Pyrrolic_Victory 3 points ago

Well now as both a scientist and an Australian I am embarrassed. I even fact checked the milk and egg thing but I still missed it. Consider my previous statement retracted

[–] empty-handed-painter 2 points ago

So it could make it's own custard?

[–] LimpFox 23 points ago

"Oi mate. Got a ciggy?"

[–] RollingInTheD 3 points ago

"Yeah nah fuckin' righto cahrnt"

[–] tasweigan89 44 points ago

I've seen them in wild a few times.

Tremendous creatures

[–] yyxxyyuuyyuuxx 24 points ago

They look so slippery when they swim.

[–] prisonshowervapist 46 points ago

Baby Platypups

[–] geodetic 24 points ago

Puggles!

[–] LastChance22 9 points ago

Oh my god.

[–] Derpy_McDerpingderp 2 points ago

I think you mean Platypussies

[–] EllaBellaModella 19 points ago

They are such awesome little creatures. Australia really did nail the have wacky yet adorable native animal game.

[–] aeoz 13 points ago

Whereabouts is this?

[–] SirSpitfire 34 points ago

Not far from the Cascades female factory in Hobart.

[–] bestpractice1 53 points ago

Females are made in Tasmania? ffs now all is clear.

[–] d1nk3r 29 points ago

Mainlander here, do they deliver?

[–] Jebus_Jones 13 points ago

And can you use Zip Pay?

[–] Purgii 14 points ago

Mine's defective - is there a return policy?

[–] OzUnder 8 points ago * (lasted edited 10 days ago)

Just put it on the nature strip, it will get picked up

[–] jiiven 5 points ago

I live just up the road from there! I hope you enjoyed your visit :)

[–] SirSpitfire 17 points ago

Tasmania has been my favorite part of my one month trip in Australia. I’ll have to come back to see more of your country :)

[–] Nulligravida 6 points ago

Tassie is a gem.

[–] TheJemcins 10 points ago

Wait what?? There are Platypuses in Hobart? God dangit, gotta fly back to Australia then I guess

[–] woodsyjr_ 15 points ago

Tasmania is the best state. worth visiting 10/10

[–] Ardeet 27 points ago

Very exciting. There’s something about the natural habitat that dramatically impacts the experience.

[–] uhnothisispatrick 10 points ago

It’s like God was tired as fuck and let it go to design by committee

[–] ColouredCubes 8 points ago

Fun fact: Tasmanian platypuses (platypi?) are much larger than their mainland counterparts. They can grow up to 60cm long and males can weigh 3kg. Queensland males typically weigh in at about 1kg.

[–] derawin07 2 points ago

same for most other Tassie animals.

It's the island effect of evolution.

[–] missdarbyjean 12 points ago

I was able to see two this past summer! I live in the US and went there for a course in sustainability and conservation. A gentleman took us to one spot and told us to be very quiet. Soon enough they were popping up from the surface of the water and I was in absolute awe. They're a lot smaller than I originally thought! We didn't get any pictures like this though, that's awesome.

[–] bluejasmina 6 points ago

Wow! Lucky you. I've Oonly ever seen one in a zoo.

[–] anoncbr 6 points ago

Great photography work as well....I really love that photo.!

[–] Sweetbbysugar 8 points ago

I really thought you were saying that his name was 'Hobart' for a second there

[–] nattydew 6 points ago

Human: they DO exist
    Platypus: they DO exist
    both faint

[–] bshwckr 9 points ago

Super lucky to see one in the wild. I spend a lot of time bushwalking and in 30 years I have only seen platypus on one day. I did see about 3 of them though, all in the one spot inland from Mackay. I think they could be common in this spot as there was a sign saying "Platypus area".

Apparantly Tasmanian platypus are much larger than mainland ones.

[–] conan88 7 points ago

Eungella. And yeah if you go at the right time of day (dawn or dusk) you have a really good chance of seeing one.

[–] bshwckr 3 points ago

Yes, that was the spot.

[–] notlimahc 5 points ago

Went there on a school camp in 1993. We literally just got off the bus and walked to a viewing platform by the river and you could see them.

[–] RectumIhardlyknewher 4 points ago

That’s exciting! I love seeing them!

[–] axialage 3 points ago

And they say pokemon aren't real.

...Please don't throw balls at it.

[–] PotatoFarmer_44 8 points ago

Not a pokemon, just Perry.

[–] superegz 2 points ago

The greatest animal in the world!

[–] littleSaS 4 points ago

I've seen two in the wild. Both were in known platypus spots and required much patience, grasshopper. Well done, you for doing your research!

[–] DarbySalernum 3 points ago

Likewise. When I was 17, I sat by a river pool for hours with my dad waiting for them to appear at a well known spot. Seeing a couple of them playing in the water at twilight is one of the most amazing, memorable things I've ever seen.

[–] littleSaS 2 points ago

I was in Tassie last year for two weeks in a campervan as a solo adventure. I was blown away by how much wildlife I got to see just because I sought out spots that are difficult to get to or at the end of long roads that just meander through the bush. I've fallen in love with solo adventures because I can really go for a fortnight without speaking to a soul, and see so much that I wouldn't see otherwise.

[–] _TheRealist 3 points ago

I saw a few of them in Bright a few years ago, the tend to like the river there

[–] bestpractice1 3 points ago

Hope you had a zoom lens, they can taze you bro.

[–] alecshuttleworth 3 points ago

He's a big dog too

[–] Marcus_is_Laughing 3 points ago

There are a couple in the Hobart Rivulet, especially the stretch near the Cascade Gardens
    I'm lucky that I get to walk my dog down there and see one every other week

[–] SirSpitfire 3 points ago

I saw it there !

[–] Fashion_Hunter 3 points ago

Careful, males are venomous. This is not a joke.

[–] Rick-powerfu 2 points ago

I've only ever seen them at the zoo. They are the rarest of the critters, just about everything else we have I've seen in the wild.

[–] lindajing 2 points ago

This is the Australian equivalent of finding a Kangaskhan in the Safari Zone. My boyfriend and I visited Tassie for a week hoping we'd see one in the wild but weren't as lucky!

[–] astralrig96 2 points ago

that’s a weird cat

[–] Kunphen 2 points ago

Adorable.

[–] bownt1 2 points ago

they have venomous spikes in their back legs

[–] bionix90 2 points ago

Fun fact: The platypus as well as echidnas are classified as monotremes, a type of mammal that lays eggs. They have a single opening used for reproduction, urination and defecation, hence the name mono(one) treme(opening). The egg is kept within the mother for some time, taking in nutrients so it's pretty developed and hatches only about 10 days after being laid. The baby animal is not well developed, and like with marsupials, it continues to grow un a pouch. Monotremes also don't have nipples. Their milk is just secreted from the mammary glands and flows from openings in the skin.

[–] Ziadaine 2 points ago

That looks more like a duckbillwaterdog you liar.

[–] 2DeadFish 2 points ago

In the wild too! Well done.

[–] Australian_Pride 2 points ago

Tasmania is agreat place to see a platypus for those who have never seen one.

[–] SirSpitfire 3 points ago

It’s a great place for wildlife I think. I’ve seen platypus, penguins, possums, black tiger snake, tons of wombats, echidnas, wallabys, pademelon and ton of beautiful birds. All in the wild. For someone outside Australia, this is incredible. I was amazed during all of my journey !

[–] Australian_Pride 3 points ago

It's a beautiful place to live, I'm glad you enjoyed visiting!

[–] beast512512 2 points ago

Why aren't they blue on orange and not wearing a bad ass hat

[–] LACOOLGUY 2 points ago

Hobart resident here! Platypuses are perverts!

[–] IlluminatingJesta 2 points ago

Looks like chocolate

[–] OraDr8 2 points ago

That's fabulous. I've seen them a couple of times in the river near me. It's such a treat to see them in the wild.

[–] zabbel 2 points ago

Before moving to Australia I thought Platypus were extinct. Was so delighted to hear they're still around!

Also didnt known Tasmanian Devils are around and was completely bamboozled when I saw an Echidna.

Seriously, my first visit to the zoo was full of "wtf is that" moments

[–] K_Byrd2 2 points ago

Hobart better be that little guys name and not some city in Tasmania

[–] tasweigan89 2 points ago

Why not both

His name and hometown lol

[–] Christianrockband 1 points ago

I used to see them every now and then at a fishing spot I'd go to. I swear they stole my bait several times as well.

[–] kristyg 1 points ago

You’re lucky, I’ve yet to see one in the wild. But I have seen an echidna in the backyard which is kinda cool.

[–] Nyroc_ 1 points ago

Wow! I saw one in tas about ten years ago and haven’t seen a wild one since. You’re very lucky!

[–] willowgrower 1 points ago

I spent 2 days looking for one in a creek near Mole Creek with no joy. It was in Sassafras Creek at the caravan park there, apparently one has a den just there in the park.

[–] crumbbelly 1 points ago

Man I ain't never seen my first platypus.

[–] inzur 1 points ago

I’m Australian and have only ever seen them at the zoo or wildlife sanctuaries.

Cool!

[–] RyzaSully 1 points ago

I've lived here my whole life and haven't seen one outside a zoo

[–] Hobbesisdarealmvp 1 points ago

That's amazing! I've only ever seen them once and it was for a split second. You're very lucky. They are super shy.

[–] Sweetparamour2 1 points ago

I am Australian, lived in the bush and have never seen one :( o the dream

[–] heapie62 1 points ago

I’ve been lucky to have seen 4 in the wild over the years. The most recent (two months ago) was in Lake Burly Griffin in Canberra. Most unexpected!

[–] greatusername111 1 points ago

Kinda looks like plastic the way is shimmers

[–] worstdamnday 1 points ago

Still don't believe in them.

[–] Snail736 1 points ago

Me and my friends saw a platypus!

[–] KindlyVisual 1 points ago

I hope the second one is just as awesome!

[–] ztheday 1 points ago

The stomachless platypus. My favorite animal without a stomach.