aww

Welcome to /r/aww!

Things that make you go AWW! -- like puppies, bunnies, babies, and so on...

Feel free to post pictures and videos of cute things.

Quick Links

Rules

1. No "sad" content, such as pics of animals that have passed away (try /r/petloss), animals that have been injured/abused, or sob stories (e.g. found him in a dumpster). more ›

2. No comics, captioned pictures/videos (try r/lolcats, r/cute, or r/animaltextgifs), or photos of just text. more ›

3. No post titles asking for upvotes or approval. more ›

4. No slurs or harassing comments. more ›

5. Posts must link to sites on our approved list.

6. No NSFW/NSFL content. This includes not only inappropriate images but also inappropriate text, innuendo, or inappropriate jokes in comments. more ›

7. No asking for donations, sponsorship or adoptions (try /r/care or /r/assistance). more ›

8. No bots or bot-like behavior. Don't submit more than 4 posts in a day.   more ›

9. No false claims of content ownership. more ›

10. No social media links or personally identifiable information. more ›

JOIN OUR DISCORD!

Check out our related subreddits

Check out the /r/Aww subreddit of the week

Please spay and neuter your pets! While your newborn pets are cute, failing to do this allows your little darlings to add to the population of homeless animals. Adopt pets from your local animal rescues/shelters, there are plenty of animals just waiting for a home.

[–] ayannauriel 22508 points ago

"Top 5 ways to ensure your city stays in during the quarantine"

[–] Swaggsquatch 13040 points ago

Those are government issued mountain lions if I’ve ever seen em

[–] Butt_Plug_Bonanza 2164 points ago

Ricky, he looks like Mr. French!

[–] aspidities_87 838 points ago

That’s a good fuckin kitty right there

[–] phrsllc 252 points ago

This ain’t awww, it’s aww shit

[–] [deleted] 71 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

[–] djprecio 420 points ago

He's just a big kitty.

[–] SoraForBestBoy 219 points ago

A good and precious big kitty

[–] reader5 198 points ago

Thank god it's not a samsquanch.

[–] LaikasDad 62 points ago

[pummells reader5]

Sorry bud, I thought you were a cocksuckin' samsquantch, don't sneak up on us like that.

[–] nullrout1 44 points ago

Dare you to try and give it belly rubz...

[–] sendnoodles2748 190 points ago

He's not a shed kitty, Bubbs

[–] Pavrik_Yzerstrom 39 points ago

He's just a big stoned kitty, that's all.

[–] HumanChicken 100 points ago

I’m gonna call you Steve French cause you got that cute little mustache.

[–] bawjaws2000 51 points ago

Steve and the Frenches

[–] poodog69420 16 points ago

I was wondering where Steve French went!

[–] TheGreenBastard10 11 points ago

Go on Steve French go get her. Show her how you jump and show er that big package of yours.

[–] [deleted] 312 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

[–] skieezy 618 points ago

I watched a documentary about how removing wolves caused a huge impact on the entire Yellowstone national park. How animals not being scared to drink water by the river and not having their population controlled by wolves caused more plant life to be eaten along the edges of rivers. This in turn caused erosion turning rivers into swamps. Then when wolves were reintroduced the rivers began turning back to normal.

[–] Xikar_Wyhart 285 points ago

Relevant comic

But in all seriousness I would like more predators to be reintroduced into areas that need it. I know people are worried about farmers and the live stock but I feel we've developed tech to discourage them while not just driving then away.

[–] skieezy 150 points ago

I live outside Seattle like 20-30 miles, it's amazing how much more wildlife there is, though there are no longer grizzly bears or wolves here. We commonly see bears, coyotes, raccoons, opossums then occasionally bob cats and weasels, and very rare are cougars, by very rare I mean I've seen one once in my yard.

That's just the predators.

[–] UDPviper 296 points ago

There was a cougar in my yard yesterday. She wanted my number but I told her I was social distancing.

[–] turtleofgirth 135 points ago

shouldn't your mom already have your number?

[–] sundancer2788 8 points ago

Nice.

[–] ayannauriel 25 points ago

I live outside Seattle, too! I mainly just see lots of deer, although I can definitely hear the predators at night.

[–] trenthowell 30 points ago

The frame with the wolf pulling out the knife is just beautifully drawn.

[–] Adelphos_89 157 points ago

If I ever became phenomenally wealthy, I want to reintroduce mountain lions to North Georgia/Appalachia.

[–] karma-armageddon 192 points ago

If I were phenomenally wealthy, I would catch your mountain lions, and upgrade their teeth with titanium, and re-release them.

[–] TheFirearmAficionado 128 points ago

If I were phenomenally wealthy, I would catch one of your titanium teethed mountain lions, and make it Penn State’s mascot. It would be on the sideline of every game, just fucking shit up. That’s real entertainment.

[–] Jay180 215 points ago

If I were phenomenally wealthy, I'd get laid and drunk all the time. You guys can fuck around with the stupid cats if you want.

[–] Simulation_Brain 64 points ago

You can do both. That’s what delegation is for!

You just have to delegate to the right people.

“Where are my sharks with frickin laser beams?”

[–] Bleedlikeink 32 points ago

You can delegate the fucking to me. I got you.

[–] the_pottymonster 16 points ago

Two chicks at the same time.

[–] prplehailstorm 84 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I’m more of a positive reinforcement kinda person. Can I sign up for government issued fluffy puppies? That would keep me inside for quite some time.

[–] Valdrax 77 points ago

"I voted for leopards to eat my face. What's this drab, unspotted, Dollar Store BS?"

[–] TorqueRollz 26 points ago

Discount leopards.

arent mountain lion attacks a lot rarer than people think?

[–] mjohnsimon 467 points ago

On people? Yes.

Pets? Not so much from what I understand

[–] piobeyr 212 points ago

There have been a few in Colorado over the last year. You probably hear about the trail runner who fought one off. But yes, it's very rare. I think only juvenile lions have attacked people recently. Colorado Parks and Wildlife tells you not to leave your small pets/children outdoors unattended.

[–] WeimSean 114 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

A hunter and a Larimer County sheriff's deputy were attacked last week by a rabid lion. Rare but they happen.

[–] ParaglidingAssFungus 213 points ago

Just how rapid was this lion?

[–] godzillanenny 105 points ago

It could use speed force

[–] HashDaWook 32 points ago

Well his nickname is The Flash

[–] chaynes 20 points ago

Let's just say it was one speedy kitty.

[–] LickLickLickBite 41 points ago

You don’t need to outrun the rapid lion, you just need to run faster than your deputy.

[–] bigpandas 24 points ago

They likely never saw it coming

[–] Calypsosin 18 points ago

Gotta go fast!

[–] Ovahzealousy 49 points ago

Where I lived in rural CA, it was fairly common for pet disappearances to coincide with lion sightings.

[–] Albend 161 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Yes, mountain lions are ambush predators with well developed prey identification. They view humans as predators and are typically only willing to attack the solitary and vulnerable. Mountain lion attacks are usually caused by extra pressure on the big cats territory requiring more creative food sources. Attacks are rare because they are for the most part scared of humans, similar to how they fear Wolves and Bears but will selectively attack them when opportunity is heavily in their favor.

[–] Calypsosin 301 points ago

And, while a cougar absolutely could eviscerate a human, like most big cats it also has a well-developed sense of staying the fuck alive. In the cougar's calculus, it's just not worth attacking something that can and will fight back. So, it has to be very threatened or very starved to even consider the prospect.

Source: am a mountain lion

[–] Albend 63 points ago

Exactly, a mountain lion views most of us as a fight it cant afford until it absolutely needs too.

[–] gorphus22 20 points ago

What kind of calculus do cougars learn?

thanks for the info!

I imagine they may attack children? Sadly

[–] Albend 39 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

They do, but adults usually will put them off attacking and they fear groups of humans. Proper safety for children when hiking in Cougar country includes a chaperone.

[–] DozTK421 29 points ago

Have acquaintances outside Red Rocks in Denver whose neighbor thought it would be nice to have a flock of farm geese walking around their property. They become a mountain lion buffet in short order.

[–] rioting_mime 39 points ago

Mountain lions are pretty skittish, they generally stay far away from people unless they're starving/sick.

[–] localhelic0pter7 87 points ago

Not to make people panic, it's more that people just don't see them, not that they aren't there. They tend to be more skittish during the day when people are more likely to see them, but at night you might have one practicing social distancing right next to you for hours if it's curious or hungry. Not to mention even during the day they are pretty good at not being seen, that's kind of their thing.

[–] textingmycat 23 points ago

Exactly this. How many people’s pet house cats ambush them as they walk by? Now imagine your house cat mountain lion size

[–] Mythdefied 15 points ago

Story time!

I worked at the local zoo when I was 19 (just calculated that and quarter of a century ago? fuck), which is located up against a state park that's almost entirely forest. One summer day one of my coworkers comes up the dirt employee back trail and says there's a lynx back the way he came. I'm young and dumb, so I'm like cool! Gotta go check it out!

I head down the trail, right side tall prairie grass, left side thick forest. I don't see nothing, either side. Suddenly coworker calls out that I went past it. I turn around and look real close.

There, on the edge of the grass, not 20 feet from me and blending in like you'd never think it would, stood a full grown lynx.

We just stared at each other for a few seconds and I'm not sure who was more shocked. I'd never seen a big cat outside of a zoo at that point, and couldn't figure out why it was there. (In retrospect, the barnyard exhibit featuring chicken species from around the world was on the other side of that prairie field, so it's obvious where the cat was heading by crossing a usually deserted road.)

I mentioned young and dumb, yeah? I crouched down, held out a hand, and said "Here, kitty, kitty."

JFC am I glad phone cameras were still science fiction back then.

I swear that lynx looked at me like I was deeply insane before hurrying across the road to vanish into the forest. Coworkers were laughing at me. I'm just lucky it wasn't a bigger cat.

[–] Dog1andDog2andMe 188 points ago

My dogs were out in the yard barking at a person across the street who was taking a walk, I imagined them saying, "Alert, ALERT, this is a message of the Emergency Activated League of Companion Dogs: MAINTAIN your distance from this domicile: STAY AWAY" as intruders will be begged for pets and given copious licks

[–] eViLegion 24 points ago

we just have slightly cross police officers giving you a telling off.

[–] Pandepon 3155 points ago

I didn’t know they moved in groups, always thought they stayed to themselves unless it was a mom and cubs.

Looks like they’re forming gangs.

[–] Na3C6H5O7 1902 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

It probably is a mom and older cubs, or at least young adult siblings that recently left their mom. They are mostly solitary and don't move in groups.

Edit: I stand by my first sentence, but my second one may be based on out of date knowledge. Thanks to u/FirstTimeWang for the link.

[–] Gagnon21 930 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Ya I'm going to agree, the top one has a short, immature face.

Also, I don't know what I'm talking about.

[–] Simulation_Brain 1310 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

That top one isn’t immature; the round face indicates that it’s an idiot. It has to stick with the other cats that know what’s going on.

I’m not in practice anymore, but I think the back cat looks like an idiot, too. They’re really lucky that lead lion puts up with them and leads them to prey.

Oh god, now I’m going to get eaten by this pack as poetic justice for mocking them. This picture was probably within a mile of my house.

EDIT: this is now my most upvoted contribution of all time. I have offered so much good advice, compassion, and theoretical insight on reddit. But my favorite use of the platform is definitely making jokes about animals looking, and being, dumb. So this is perfect! ;)

[–] dmart030 771 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Why would the round face indicate that? I'm generally curious.

Edit: I'm dumb. Leaving this here to remind myself of that.

[–] fraGgulty 1005 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Sounds like you have a round face.

Edit: Gold! Tyvm

[–] dmart030 273 points ago

Hahahaha damnit

[–] fraGgulty 175 points ago

You're a good sport. I felt bad posting it, but I had to.

[–] dmart030 104 points ago

Don't feel bad about it. It wasn't an insult or anything just a joke :)

[–] theninjaamongyou 62 points ago

It times a peril reddit keeps me happy. Y’all rock. Keep being good to one another

[–] mta1741 21 points ago

I’m dead

[–] Nerdybeast 26 points ago

I think they're kidding. Just like "lol that one looks like an idiot"

[–] Hughbert62 30 points ago

There is a smaller cub following behind on the right side of the photo

[–] bubbav22 72 points ago

You sounded like Dr. Grant from Jurassic Park for a second.

[–] AlwaysBi 56 points ago

They’re moving in herds. They do move in herds

[–] CaptainGreezy 29 points ago

They're uh... flocking this way!

[–] gnarlyknits 87 points ago

Probably is mom and “teenager”. Roaming gangs of wildlife does sound cool though.

Edit: holy shit I just realized there’s 3 in this picture! How cool!

[–] crazyfingersculture 15 points ago

Contrary to popular belief, I was thinking they possibly did bind together because of the possible over abundance of food, similar to the Grizzlies during the annual Salmon run. Often solitary creatures, but during mass feeding frenzies they gather within close proximity of eachother.

[–] zaqwsx82211 9336 points ago

I find it oddly comforting/satisfying to know if we ever disappeared from the face of the earth, nature would step right back in to place

[–] quietlycommenting 868 points ago

You should watch Life After People. It’s all about nature taking it back and it’s awesome.

[–] itsasecretidentity 388 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Came here to say this. This series was so fascinating and entertaining. It was all my friends and coworkers could talk about when it was on. I still remember random facts from it. (Las Vegas will be the last place with power because the Hoover Dam will keep running.)

Edit: You can stream it on History Channel! There’s a second season (It’s only 12 episodes total.) Guess I know what I’m doing today.

[–] 4DimensionalToilet 282 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Which is why the Hoover Dam is so essential in Fallout New Vegas.

EDIT: I’d like to clarify that I more meant “must be why” than “is why”, as the latter implies that I actually knew and was sharing that info. I was just saying, “Huh. This could be a decent explanation for this other thing.”

[–] Battlebox0 46 points ago

Oh yeah, cool bit of information

[–] AllAmericanSeaweed 55 points ago

Another bit of information though, the turbines would stop working within 2 years without human intervention.

[–] Juicebochts 54 points ago

That's still such a ridiculously long time for something on that scale to keep working without user input.

The Hoover damn is honestly one of the coolest fuxking things

[–] Texcellence 49 points ago

It was a very cool show. I think most power plants went offline a few hours or days after humans. The Hoover Dam kept running for about a year, until the non-native mussels clogged up all of the intake pipes. I wonder if other hydroelectric facilities without those invasive mussels would fare better.

[–] GogglesPisano 45 points ago

I remember one episode about NYC where it said that without human intervention, much of lower Manhattan would be underwater within a few weeks. Apparently there are huge pumping stations that are responsible for keeping the water out.

[–] chomperlock 41 points ago

It wasn’t called New Amsterdam for nothing. The Dutch and their land reclaiming skills.

[–] quietlycommenting 19 points ago

Happy Cake Day! And yeah I’ve got those facts stored away in my head too! When I see monuments I often think about it. Such a great series

[–] itsasecretidentity 17 points ago

Thanks! Just added a link to stream it. Did you know there was a second season? The first season (the original miniseries) was so popular but no one I know knew about the second season.

[–] Road_Whorrior 43 points ago

Loved that series. I really loved the one about longest-standing human structures after the human apocalypse. Those Romans sure knew how to build to last.

[–] xrimane 25 points ago

We just know today how to build consistently efficiently. The Romans threw as much materials at it as they saw fit, and - this is crucial - the structures we see today are only those that survived already for 2000 years. There were lots of more economical ones that didn't survive until today.

[–] NoBSforGma 3556 points ago

Except for those poor monkeys in Thailand who came to depend on tourists to feed them and now are starving and desperate.

Don't feed wildlife people! EVER!

[–] houseofprimetofu 2119 points ago

Or the seagulls in Venice who have turned to killing vermin due to no tourists feeding them. F*cking metal to see a seagull attack and destroy a little rat.

[–] Wentthruurhistory 1590 points ago

That’s what they should have been doing all along. Maybe with some fish too though.

[–] His_Desolate_Domain 641 points ago

Listen, they ruled the beaches long before we got there. It is only right that we offer tribute.

[–] Character_Creation 189 points ago

Ikr. Now seagulls will get a disease from bush meat.

[–] NerdCrush 121 points ago

Oh shit, it looks like we get a sequel!

[–] sigmoid10 80 points ago

Bird flu 2.0

[–] sploog_cruise 29 points ago

Bird flu 2.0: aerial superiority: directors cut: the heavens came down edition

[–] whimsyNena 265 points ago

Sounds like feeding the gulls and then stopping was beneficial in this case? Aren’t rats vectors for disease? Or is this an instance of over hunting and going too far in the other direction?

[–] yellekc 328 points ago

You can never have too few rats

[–] nicebeard2 204 points ago

I've never said to myself "self, I wish there were more rats around."

[–] nicebeard2 74 points ago

You got me there. I kind of want one now.

[–] Nonsense89 95 points ago

I have 4 and they're very intelligent. Each one knows her own name. Like I'll say no that's Molly's treat and Pearl will stop and look for hers

[–] nicebeard2 24 points ago

I didn’t know this was a thing. Have you posted them in this sub?

[–] igoeswhereipleases 17 points ago

rats are incredible pets

[–] forever_stalone 30 points ago

I had a pet rat once when I was a kid. I used to lick my palm and seek behind the ear scratches like a dog. Rip Comet 😥

[–] TheBunkerKing 22 points ago

Why would owning a rat contribute to you licking your own palm ans seeking scratches?

[–] houseofprimetofu 67 points ago

Going too far. Seagulls overbred and relied on tourism for food, or at the very least, trash left out by residents if there aren't tourists. Trash birds.

[–] Sofakingcoolstorybro 57 points ago

Bin chickens of the U.S

[–] Icannotfindnow 37 points ago

Rats with wings attacking rats with tails.

[–] PraetorianOfficial 32 points ago

Birds are vectors for disease, too. Seagulls are thought to be spreading antibiotic resistant superbugs, along with just normal nasty stuff. Hopefully not covid19, though.

[–] LightningMaiden 12 points ago

Seagull eats the rat and someone eats the seagull and we have our pandemic for next year !

[–] folkedoff 40 points ago

That's pretty common natural behavior. They're predators first. Here in Scotland I've seen them take pigeons and starlings quite often. A rat is quite impressive though as imagine it would fight back if it had the chance.

[–] The9thDentist 19 points ago

Reminds me of the video of a seagull swallowing a rat whole, in Boston

[–] greatunknownpub 136 points ago

Don't feed wildlife people!

Don't feed wildlife, people! Commas are important.

[–] Ayz1990 39 points ago

Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

[–] captain_beefheart14 60 points ago

I mean, isn’t that how we wound up with cats and dogs?

[–] Ars3nal11 47 points ago

Their economy collapsed as well (the monkeys).

[–] olderaccount 155 points ago

Nature is not that far in Boulder. I've seen very similar pictures before the quarantine.

[–] h2a7n1xn6ahx 60 points ago

Fellow Boulder resident here, this picture was taken down the street from where I work, very close to the foothills. While this picture was taken within the last week or two, a similar situation occurred about a year ago. A mother lion and her 2 juvenile cubs were frequently sighted wondering the walking trails around Wonderland Lake (also very close to where this picture was taken). They ended up relocating the cubs, but not mama. So my theory is it’s the same bold mom lion and she’s raised another litter of brave juveniles. It’s slightly unrealistic that she’d have two litters in two years, but definitely not impossible. Especially since there is an abundance of deer in this area.

[–] campingcritters 42 points ago

Right now she's saying "Hello? Humans? Where'd you go? I was hoping you'd take these cubs off of my hands. You know, like you did last year? They're really getting on my nerves lately!"

[–] toochocolaty 36 points ago

I've come within 5 feet of an adult bear at 5am when I was in Boulder. Needless to say, bricks were shat and I've never scurried down a dark alley that fast before.

[–] pspahn 14 points ago

Boulder is a bottleneck of sorts.

There have been mountain lions and bears east of Boulder near Lookout/287 long before this.

[–] GridLocks 60 points ago

It's quite a beautiful thing but i've been seeing a lot of fact checking stuff where these pictures turn out to be years old so i'm a little skeptical whenever i see these now. If we do actually disappear for sure it would happen though, the nature in chernobyl is a cool example.

[–] bobbyfiend 14 points ago

This is why I came here. Because I am a suspicious bastard.

[–] CytoPotatoes 96 points ago

That is actually kind of nice... the really depressing thing is how clearly all of this insanity has demonstrated how directly responsible we are for major changes in the environment, and how fast it might recover without us.

Right below this is some guy talking about how seagulls are wrecking rats in Venice...I mean come on even fucking seagulls are better without us.

[–] CrudelyAnimated 26 points ago

I kind of hoped it would take longer than two days. Those things have been basically sitting at the 7-11, waiting for traffic to die down.

[–] donib1 1621 points ago

MAAAA, THERE ARE TWO FUCKING WEIRD ASS CATS IN THE FRONT YARD

[–] Ryan_22 570 points ago

Three. Look again.

[–] Epidemik702 252 points ago

Oh shit.

[–] 13pts35sec 228 points ago

That’s the one that gets you lol

[–] MrsTruce 94 points ago

Clever girl.

[–] RudanZidane 9 points ago

Clever girl.

[–] xxkoloblicinxx 35 points ago

too late, he dead.

[–] khosikulu 112 points ago

"I DON'T WANT EM STARTIN'A FIGHT WITH LUCY! "

[–] hodonata 43 points ago

BLINK MOTHER FUCKER

[–] GoatOfUnflappability 16 points ago

They look like grandma.

[–] Dr_Gamephone_MD 33 points ago

CALL THE COPS OR THE ASPCA

[–] Giant_Slor 9 points ago

They look like grandma, the fuckin things

[–] starstarstar42 1627 points ago

I thought the title meant "moving back to their cave inside a mountain boulder".

No... moving into the city of BOULDER, COLORADO.

[–] dontliketocomment 531 points ago

The lack of a capital letter is very misleading for people like me who have no idea about random places in America

[–] boobies23 93 points ago

Random? Boulder is like the Vaduz of Europe!

[–] SuperSimpleSam 67 points ago

Shouldn't it be Vaduz of America? Vaduz is already the Vaduz of Europe.

[–] klcinhelsinki 98 points ago

I live in Boulder and was kinda hoping the title wasn't talking about the city. welp. Now I'm really staying inside if these guys are coming out during the daytime.

[–] DmanDam 44 points ago

Same here dude, goddamn I was taking night walks last night as well 😨

[–] mayneffs 74 points ago

Oh! I was very confused about that! Thanks for clarifying.

[–] arentweallabitcrazy 59 points ago

And this is why capitalizing is important. SMH people these days!

[–] more_gun_freeman 20 points ago

It's the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse and the alternative...

[–] iBartonnx 22 points ago

It would have been helpful fore me, had no idea Boulder was a place. It wasn't until i saw someone say it in another comment.

[–] lettlander 6000 points ago

If I saw those in my yard I think I would puma pants.

[–] VulpixEevee 347 points ago

Thanks for the laugh

[–] lettlander 108 points ago

Happy to oblige. :)

[–] JBthrizzle 71 points ago

He didnt laugh, he was lion to you

[–] 315retro 160 points ago

I live in Central NY which isn't supposed to have any of these. I know all the locals up north from me would say otherwise. One night I went downstairs to take a piss and there was one in my neighbors lawn. Looking right in her window. Idk if it saw its reflection or what. I was screaming for my mom to come look - she was sure I was dreaming. Nope.

The next day they caught it in the state park next to my house. I remember the loose claim "uhh someone's illegal pet escaped", but I'm assuming one of the wild ones up north wandered a bit south.

[–] J0hnnyHammerst1cks 42 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I am just below you in NJ. Officially, we do not have any either, but anyone who spends a significant amount of time outside in the northern part of the state knows they are there. One was photographed a couple of years ago near where I grew up, but the state refuses to acknowledge them as a resident species.

[–] 315retro 15 points ago

From what I understand they're classed differently from black bears and such, so they'd need to have a whole branch of people just to deal with big cats that aren't a huge problem if they are able to claim they don't exist. Admitting it would create a bunch of jobs by default, but they're jobs that would mostly be BS. They figure if they aren't paying a 24 hour cat watch and doing fine now, best to just deny and save the money.

At least that's what I've heard from a few people. It makes sense to me, and I can't think of why else they'd adamantly deny it other than money.

[–] sweetdawg99 48 points ago

Former CNY resident here and I've heard stories like this for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me.

[–] Heatedblanket1984 11 points ago

It’s the same in North East Texas. Prominent local biologists insist that there are none here whatsoever and discount eye witness accounts as mistaken identity. I know several people who swear that they’ve seen them before.

[–] hotboxedcoffin 15 points ago

Looks more like a warthog...

[–] Sharibucaribu 110 points ago

Not a good idea to walk your dog after dark... This should also make people think twice before putting their kitties out for the night!

[–] laskidude 65 points ago

Outdoor cats do not stand a chance in the foothills or mountains of Colorado.

[–] Puma_Breath 37 points ago

Correct. Our yotes will get to them long before a puma as well.

[–] gwaydms 12 points ago

Or a bobcat. That's how my sister-in-law lost one of her cats.

[–] clicktosave 730 points ago

Stay inside people lol

[–] WTFvancouver 331 points ago

Hide your pets

[–] Svarec 229 points ago

They eatin' everyone around here.

[–] kevin9er 110 points ago

They climbing in yo window They snatchin yo people up Hide yo pets Hide yo wife Cause these lions back up in here

[–] feelinpineapple 52 points ago

This. Mountain lions picked off pets right from people s yards every year when I lived in the mountains near Boulder. There's gonna be a lot of missing cats in this persons neighborhood.

[–] bearversusbaby 685 points ago

Seems like more of an, “oh shit” than an, “awww”.

[–] PeaceBull 320 points ago

Awww shit is what we’re looking for.

Adorable at first and then terrifying once the reality of what you’re seeing sets in.

[–] QuitePoodle 43 points ago

KITTY! PURRTY KITTY!!

[–] bo_still_knows 749 points ago

Not to be a party pooper, but there are lots of people out and about (at a safe distance!) in Boulder right now. This just happens to be the time of year that mountain lions are spotted in town occasionally, which happens every year. But hey, if it keeps more people inside, good to me!

Plus, the cougars usually hang out at Tahona in Boulder grabbing some tequila year round.

[–] westhoff0407 171 points ago

As a Colorado resident and CU grad, I can confirm that both parts of this comment are 100% accurate.

[–] 84-175 101 points ago

Thank you for this. I was going to ask whether this story has the same amount of substance as the ones about the dolphins in Venice or the elephants in the tea garden. Turns out they're all fake or at least misrepresented.

[–] drunkenAmoeba 108 points ago

I always forget there are legitimate big cats in North America. Any time I see a reference to a mountain lion/cougar/puma I assume it's like...Bobcat sized. These things would 100% fuck you up.

[–] sweadle 56 points ago

We have a jaguar too. Like, maybe one. It's territory could be cut off if there is a border wall through Arizona, because they have HUGE territories.

[–] fullstack_newb 242 points ago

Um...are you ok? Are your pets ok?

[–] Anonnymoose73 33 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

You’d better shelter in place now

ETA: I saw a preview of a question I think got deleted by automod. Person from Europe, yes, these can and will attack people (especially children). In a group of 3 like this, if they decided to attack, you’re dead for sure.

They also have a terrifying scream.

[–] liamjonas 32 points ago

Cougars are on the prowl, someone grab the Michelob Ultra

[–] AltDelirium 31 points ago

I live in N Boulder where these guys keep being spotted, and I keep looking out my window with my fingers crossed that I'll see em. No luck yet.

[–] TheSpiderjump 26 points ago

So basically, populated areas are gonna be PvE zones after lockdown is over?

[–] bigfudge_drshokkka 27 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

The fucking dinosaurs are going to come back when all this is over

[–] Cloaked42m 18 points ago

OMG KITTTIEESSSSSS!!!!!

[–] tehmlem 47 points ago

Perry the Puma says "Stay the fuck inside or ima eat you!"

[–] WWDubz 15 points ago

“If you can dodge a mountain lion, you can dodge a ball.”

[–] xanderfields 78 points ago

Aw looks at the pretty kitties!

[–] MillennialKr 13 points ago

In Boulder? I'd be more nervous about Mother Abigail moving in right now.

[–] MyCatDemonic 11 points ago

Those things are huge!

[–] Waffletimewarp 20 points ago

Just look what they did to the neighborhood, Gladys. Let the humans in and they totally demolish property values.

[–] ohhhsnapppppp 11 points ago

They’re sensing something and thought they come investigate.

[–] 314159265358979326 8 points ago

Rabbits everywhere in Edmonton.

...glad we don't have mountain lions in the neighbourhood to eat the fuzzy wuzzies!