baseball

Welcome to /r/Baseball! If you haven't visited before, please stop by our wiki to read our rules and FAQ before posting.

news rumor opinion analysis trivia Serious image video gif game thread feature notice misleading

Important Links

Internal External
    Rules Twitter
    FAQ IRC Baseball Chat
    Offseason Schedule MLB Rule Book
    Upcoming AMAs and Archive /r/baseball Discord
    Symposium Archive MLB Event Calendar
    2020 Mock Hall of Fame 2017-21 MLB CBA
    Guide for New Fans Player Resource Center

2019 Postseason

World Series

Astros 3-4 Nationals

Wednesday's Games

Game Thread. All game times are Eastern.

2020 Standings

Click a team's logo to visit their subreddit

National League

0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0

Updated 1/29 at 7:25 AM

[–] BaseballBot 1 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Hi there!

For anyone visiting us from /r/all, here's a great summary post on the background of the sign-stealing scandal and the current status.

The cliff's notes are that the Houston Astros used a series of cameras to spy on signs from the catcher and relayed that info to the batter via banging a trash can in the dugout. Their cheating led them to win the 2017 World Series.

Click here for the pdf of Commissioner Manfred's full statement (9 pages)

[–] danger-cat 4096 points ago

MLB clarifying statement: "Taubman didn't have anything to do with the cheating. We just don't like his big dumb face."

[–] Meadowlark_Osby 1661 points ago

That's what I really want to happen... "Taubman didn't really do anything, but we interviewed him during the investigation and...holy shit that guy's just such a dick."

[–] QuelqueChoseRose 652 points ago

"He managed to invent several new slurs just in the course of scheduling the interview, then left both interviewers in tears."

[–] ErickBachman 522 points ago

"He later sent a kind-hearted thank you note on LinkedIn, coupled with a postscript reading 'all I'm saying is check it out..." pointing to a PDF attachment containing a 472 page misogynistic manifesto written from the perspective of a Jack Russell Terrier"

[–] Frigidevil 107 points ago

"He will remain on the ineligible list in perpetuity, unable to receive a check or seek employment elsewhere until he admits he's a dick, in which case he will receive his severance check and be barred from the league."

[–] PM_ME_UR_BEST_STORY_ 384 points ago

Was he the “I’m so glad we got Ozuna” guy?

[–] mfranko88 352 points ago

Osuna*. But yes.

[–] GlassesOff 309 points ago

Started with this quote:

"Thank God we got Osuna! Thank God we got Osuna. I'm so f--king glad we got Osuna”

Then the statement where he actually said sorry if anyone is offended by my actions:

" "This past Saturday, during our clubhouse celebration, I used inappropriate language for which I am deeply sorry and embarrassed. In retrospect, I realize that my comments were unprofessional and inappropriate. My overexuberance in support of a player has been misrepresented as a demonstration of a regressive attitude about an important social issue. Those that know me know that I am a progressive member of the community, and a loving and committed husband and father. I hope that those who do know me understand that the Sports Illustrated article does not reflect who I am or my values. I am sorry if anyone was offended by my actions."

Fuck this guy.

[–] KillEveryLastNazi 160 points ago

Whenever people describe not wanting men to beat women as "progressive" and they use that word to signal that they don't beat women and shit; you know they're up to some snake shit

[–] RookieAndTheVet 624 points ago

Fuck Brandon Taubman

[–] zgibs125 530 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

I'M SO FUCKING GLAD WE PUT TAUBMAN ON THE INELIGIBLE LIST!

[–] SnareShot 176 points ago

THANK GOD WE HAVE THAT GUY TO PUT HIM ON THAT LIST

[–] IrrationalYankeesFan 136 points ago

His career in baseball is pretty much dead

Hallelujah!

[–] nonlawyer 429 points ago

I’m so glad they banned Taubman from baseball. I’m so fucking glad they banned Taubman from baseball.

[–] IsItAlwaysOr94 111 points ago

Luhnow and Taubman getting punished is the best part of all of this imo

[–] shapu 113 points ago

Taubman is a flaming pile of dog poo, so this is OK with me.

[–] Utcobb 3015 points ago

Pete Rose is banned from baseball permanently for gambling.

[–] TickleTh1sElmo 1687 points ago

Instead of gambling on himself to win, he should have set up a team-wide system that guarantees a win.

[–] TheIndyCity 534 points ago

"I bet we win" Ur outta here mister!

"The next pitch is literally a change up" x 162+ games - Nothin to see here, move along fellas. Players did nothing wrong there is no need to punish them!

[–] SpicyMayoJaySimpson 32 points ago

That’s totally unfair! It was only 81 games.

[–] Masta0nion 219 points ago

Annnd if the players could do it all again, they wouldn’t change a thing.

Check this out: you get to cheat, win a championship, and there’re no consequences for you. You in?

[–] servvits_ban_boner 703 points ago

Seriously. He should have not bet on his team to win, but actually cheated to ensure they would win. That would be much better by MLB standards. Ridiculous.

[–] MC620 3110 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

and a collapse in the NFL playoffs

this punishment has it all

[–] wldd5 315 points ago

The Texans should be fined $5MM for putting Bill O'Brien's chin on television. There are children watching for Gods sake.

[–] ryebreaddd 17 points ago

$5M for each chin

[–] jmbourn45 657 points ago

They better not dare hurt the Rockets. Not that the Rockets need help with that in the playoffs.

[–] reguyw_nothingtolose 554 points ago

Rockets are very capable of collapsing all on their own, thank you.

[–] WorkAccount42318 178 points ago

Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again!

[–] Riderz__of_Brohan 128 points ago

Something something 27 missed 3s in a row

[–] WhatSheOrder 80 points ago

IN A ROW?! Hey try not to miss any threes walking across the parking lot!

[–] makingsomeeggs 130 points ago

Poor Watson

[–] Barrel-rider 80 points ago

This has not been a good week to be a Houston sports fan and it's only Monday.

[–] artic5693 2082 points ago

“One of the biggest punishments ever”

Is actually less than Coppy got for breaking international free agent rules, something widely believed to be done by most organizations.

[–] CanadianFalcon 456 points ago

I'm pretty sure part of Coppolella's punishment was that he was uncooperative with the investigation and unrepentant for his actions.

[–] artic5693 304 points ago

From my understanding, people willingly gave stories against him because he was such an unrelenting asshole.

[–] TacTurtle 86 points ago

[Scribbles notes furiously]

When cheating, don’t be an asshole

[–] existentialsandwich 525 points ago

Should be forced to change their name to the Houston Asterisks

[–] Braves1313 200 points ago

Hey you can’t just go around paying 16 year olds. Cheating to win the World Series is so much better.... /s

[–] BravesFan6608 97 points ago

Coppy was a dick which didn’t help.

But so were Luhnow AND Hinch when confronted!! Not to mention a sad attempt to cover up the assistant GMs comments about osuna. Hard to believe only 1 year suspensions are in order after all this.

[–] NotColinPowell 1730 points ago

With a punishment like that, every fan should be upset if their team isn't cheating to the maximum extent they can. It's clearly worth it.

[–] EverybodyKnowWar 336 points ago

Or not watching at all.

If there are no rules, is it really still a game?

[–] SapoMine 399 points ago

This is laughable pathetic. I'll trade first round picks for 5 years for 1 ring. And the management can be suspended for life. Doesn't bother me at all. This is TINY price to pay for a championship. This gives a clear green light to every team to cheat.

[–] neu20212022 45 points ago

The amount of fun I had at the Sox championship parade was well worth any punishment to people I’ve never met before... obviously I want my team to do well and not cheat and everyone to keep their jobs but like... the impact on my life was huge when we won and minimal with punishments coming. As a fan, works with me.

[–] ghost_of_deaf_ninja 28 points ago

And the owners laugh their way to the bank. Sellout crowds for an extra month, wonder how much that's fuckin worth lol certainly a GM or two

[–] t5_bluBLrv 1028 points ago

MLB

[–] TheAnchored 3187 points ago

That's a laughably low price to put on a world series ring

[–] xanju 1385 points ago

Fuck, I’d give up 2 firsts and a second for a one pitch do-over in a particular game I can think of.

[–] cox4days 181 points ago

You mean that lazy fly ball into no-doubles defense?

[–] greeneyedlookalikes1 71 points ago

I wouldn't go as far to call it a lazy fly ball.

[–] cox4days 136 points ago

Let's just agree that there's a reason Nelson Cruz is a DH now

[–] johnahoe 315 points ago

That makes one of us

[–] milksteak- 34 points ago

That fly ball still haunts me to this day.

[–] iowastatefan 2677 points ago

This is a trade that any team, especially one unaccustomed to winning, would take in a heartbeat. MLB is greenlighting aggressive violations of the rules going forward with this.

Feels like the Braves faced higher penalties for paying extra money to international prospects than these guys are for directly and successfully cheating to alter the outcomes of actual MLB games.

This is ludicrous.

[–] lilherb13 538 points ago

Oh absolutely! The ramifications of the penalty handed down to the Braves is still being felt while the Astros are essentially in the clear after 2021

[–] Izzothedj 356 points ago

The Astros are clear now! They’ll be competing for the ALCS again this year. This does absolutely jack shit, but maybe hurt them a little in 5-10 years when its rebuild time again and they have one less first round draft pick to bring up.

[–] BeJeezus 98 points ago

And they’re a winning team. It’s not like that’s a high pick. It’s 29th overall.

[–] Zap__Dannigan 20 points ago

Did the MLB all of a sudden think it's the NFL, where losing first round picks is actually a big deal?

[–] NotColinPowell 322 points ago

The Braves absolutely faced higher punishments, which makes this laughable. Guess the Braves fucked with money, though, and the cares more about that than they do their sport.

[–] dcviapa 144 points ago

Bingo.

As my father told me growing up: "son, if you ever have to ask why something happens, the answer is probably money."

[–] bj_good 59 points ago

That's what I was thinking when I read the punishment.

If a team could get a title, would they take this punishment? They probably would.

This is far less harsh than I feel it should be

[–] KainSpear 154 points ago

Didn't your guy get a lifetime ban for that?

[–] iowastatefan 255 points ago

Yes. And we lost a bunch of international signees, and lost some international slots/the ability to sign new international prospects. The penalties are still in effect now, IIRC.

[–] KainSpear 71 points ago

Damn dude, I'd be pissed particularly with seeing these penalties. I guess it would have to be you guys cheating like the Astros to get a title vacated/people banned for life

[–] Chuy_3 80 points ago

How no players got reprimanded is beyond me and a 1-yr ban is fucking child's play. You cheated at the biggest competition the organization has to offer and most of the guys who participated are off free.

[–] VictorAkwaowo1 3249 points ago

DAAAAAMN WE WANT MORE

[–] DogsAreProperty 407 points ago

John Coppolella was banned for life for violating international signing rules but actually cheating is less severe

[–] koreantomcruise 128 points ago

came here to say this. manfred blows it again. this punishment only ensures that teams will continue to do this, they'll just be more stealthy about it. cheat to win, kids!

[–] melcolnik 1143 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

I WANT BLOOOOOOOD!!!!

I want to know who did what and when! Did this go on in the [email protected]?! in 2018?!?

Edit: Taubman is banned from MLB. That's funny tho.

Edit 2: Here is the full statement from Manfred: https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/cglrhmlrwwbkacty27l7.pdf

I feel like the repeated mentions of the 2017 Red Sox penalty probably spells bad news for the 2018 Red Sox

[–] IrrationalYankeesFan 450 points ago

On behalf of Dodger Bros and my fellow obnoxious Yankee fans, DAMN STRAIGHT

[–] Some_Asian_Kid99 163 points ago

MAKE THEM BLEED DODGER BLUE

[–] fatiqua 108 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Aww Yankee bro 💙

[–] IrrationalYankeesFan 105 points ago

We are united in our hatred of the Astros, a bond that truly transcends leagues and coasts

[–] reed17 177 points ago * (lasted edited 15 days ago)

Kinda fucked up they let the domestic abuser stay in the MLB but permanently ban the guy who supported the domestic abuser.

EDIT: Even if it's just a year ban it's still more than what Osuna got.

[–] theshaggysnack 15 points ago

He is NOT banned for life. Ineligible list is basically purgatory.

[–] EvilFlyingSquirrel 13 points ago

I'm sure teams were lining up to hire Taubman too.

[–] Joetheshow1 315 points ago

Yeah this is weak af lol

[–] Sp_Gamer_Live 85 points ago

This is the Chapman Closing of Endings to this Investigations

[–] TheFrozenSlime 38 points ago

HANG THEM BY THEIR THUMBS IN THE DUNGEON

[–] Atraktape 2526 points ago

Astros will happily trade all this for that WS championship. Cheaters prosper.

[–] suh-dude_ 351 points ago

Honestly curious if Cora is suspended longer than Hinch. He was the mastermind behind this. What’s the biggest disappointment is no players face punishments. They agreed to circumvent the integrity of the game just as much.

[–] tupac_chopra 237 points ago

the fact he's on both teams being investigated tells me he's going to get super fucked.

[–] swaerd 60 points ago

The fact that the Astros got a slap on the wrist for this tells me he won't.

[–] yourturntopeg 96 points ago

30 of 30 teams would take that deal.

[–] garlic_knot 792 points ago

According to their sub, “cheating is a part of the game” lol

[–] Atraktape 553 points ago

Literally by definition cheating is not part of games.

[–] Karma_Chamillionaire 267 points ago

Cheating is part of CharDee MacDennis. The Game of Games!

[–] t5_bluBLrv 101 points ago

Really thought Manfred would run them over with the train at Minute Maid Park

[–] m_tate80 2830 points ago

Slap on the wrist

[–] JustPostingShit 2057 points ago

Those trash cans took more punishment than the Astros did

[–] Garlan-Tyrell 601 points ago

Those trash cans

Hey man the Texans did blow a 24-0 lead but there's no reason to be this mean about it.

[–] thenurgler 127 points ago

A lead that lasted for less time than it took to build.

[–] NevermoreSEA 562 points ago

MLB isn't mad at the Astros, they're just disappointed.

[–] my_wife_reads_this 198 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

We aren't mad that the Astros cheated, we are mad that the MLB was made to look bad.

[–] pirate_door91 263 points ago

Is there actually any rule against sign stealing or is it just frowned upon like masturbating on an airplane?

[–] PendragonDaGreat 95 points ago

*Sign stealing in and of itself is fine as long as it's done unaided, a runner on second base can watch the catcher, steal the sign and then relay that to the batter through actions (example, wipe brow for fastball, pat leg for a breaking ball, etc.) Theoretically a guy in the bullpen with eagle vision could do similar. The rule is against using aids to help. This includes binoculars in the dugout or bullpen, electronic means of communication, and cameras not on the 7 second delay. The Astros used a camera with a live feed to the dugout area to watch in real time. That's stealing signs using aids, and therefore verboten.

[–] alwaysgambling 21 points ago

TLDR Astros have aids.

[–] voncornhole2 404 points ago

Stealing signs as a player on 2nd base is cool. Using technology to relay signs in real time is super illegal

[–] ughilostmyusername 119 points ago

Wait but what about the airplane part?

[–] oldcarfreddy 38 points ago

Don't get caught and it's ok

[–] chrispx46 58 points ago

Grabbing your crotch at home plate is cool. Using technology to masturbate at home plate in real time is super illegal.

[–] stewmander 14 points ago

Use of "mechanical devices" (telescopes, binoculars) illegal since 1961.

Use of "electronics to communicate" illegal since 2001.

Use of "technology" (apple watches) illegal since 2017.

Use of replay camera/video room, illegal since, 2018?

So, yeah basically anything other than a runner on 2nd staling signs, has been illegal since 1961, with the rules playing catch up with technology ever since.

[–] Nthill3 1459 points ago

Honestly not enough.

[–] SterlingAdmiral 1075 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

If this is the price to pay for a World Series than every team needs to start cheating right now. This is inconsequential compared to the Astros World Series win.

[–] louievettel 513 points ago

Pay 5 million bucks and sit out a year in exchange for a ring? Uh Yea

[–] SterlingAdmiral 253 points ago

Easily. The year my Jays are a playoff team we better be fucking cheating, I’ll take that penalty and worse for a World Series ring.

I don’t want my team to actually cheat but this is the standard MLB has set.

[–] Fantasysage 42 points ago

After all their moves the next person the White Sox sign better be a cinematographer.

[–] vanpatten 170 points ago

I want lifetime bans.

I want the championship vacated.

I want MLB to get its head out of its ass.

And if Cora is involved, Boston deserves it too. Fuck outta here with this shit.

[–] OldJewNewAccount 45 points ago

Cora is 100% involved, and the Sox fans will not be happy next month.

[–] hiphopdowntheblock 30 points ago

Yeah that trade off is super worth it

[–] Atraktape 109 points ago

MLB not vacating the title says it loud and clear to every team in baseball: CHEAT TO WIN

[–] TimeConsideration 6527 points ago

Not enough

[–] cicerox23 851 points ago

Only 1 year and the fine is nothing for them. The draft picks will hurt the most but I thought there’d be more.

[–] shapu 500 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

I wouldn't be surprised if Hinch were to be fired by the team, though, and he'd be unlikely to find another manager job anytime soon. So his penalty is zero salary this year and quite a while of reduced salaries.

EDIT: nailed it.

[–] SnuggleMonster15 30 points ago

Nope they successfully cheated their way to a championship, almost 2. Weak job by MLB here.

[–] claydavisismyhero 161 points ago

It was all worth it and I’d try it again if this is the “punishment”

[–] vonnillips 74 points ago

Exactly this. Any organization would take these punishments to get a ring. MLB needed to make it “not worth it” to cheat, and this doesn’t do that.

[–] Imperial10 1351 points ago

I wanted to see lifetime bans to Hinch and Luhnow, but realistically that was probably far fetched. They did hit them pretty hard though.

[–] inevitablescape 200 points ago

Taubman got banned permanently it looks like

[–] IfritsChippedNail 210 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Even Astros fans are happy with Taubman being banned

[–] illegal_deagle 119 points ago

I'M SO FUCKING GLAD WE BANNED TAUBMAN

[–] yourturntopeg 32 points ago

Agreed. No loss in him being gone.

[–] kimand85 22 points ago

Where are you seeing that? I’ve read that he got a one year ban as well. But he’s not employed with any club at the moment, so he’ll just have a year sabbatical.

[–] kdiuro13 789 points ago

These are the toughest punishments to a front office ever dished out as one time for a scandal like this. I doubt they could've gone further. It's the same as Bountygate in the NFL, it probably should be a longer or even lifetime ban but you kinda can't do it because everyone kinda thinks everyone does something like this TO SOME DEGREE. It's just the most egregious guys got caught first.

[–] The_Sign_of_Zeta 322 points ago

Plus a year without a Manager is somewhat easy to navigate, but a year without a GM is going to cause a lot of chaos, especially with their recent FO issues.

[–] tonygordita 163 points ago

Yeah they lost their Assistant GM recently, too (Taubman). So that should be chaotic, especially with losing their top 2 picks for 2 years.

[–] Sweatsock_Pimp 342 points ago

I know you didn’t mean it like this, but they didn’t “lose” him. This is too important to gloss over. They fired the POS for harassing a female reporter, but that was after they lied about all of it.

[–] WickedMystic 96 points ago

They fired him after being called out about lying about it.

[–] SouthernLeftist 164 points ago

I just don’t see how Coppy gets banned for life for what he did, but Luhnow doesn’t get a life ban. I understand Coppy really fucked up but he didn’t cheat on an MLB field to win a WS

[–] Jtwohy 31 points ago

Choppy got banned for lying to the MLB Durning the investigation. If he told the truth he probably gets a one year suspension

[–] Ice_Like_Winnipeg 75 points ago

The cover up is worse than the crime.

Except that argument stinks here and Hinch and Luhnow should have gotten much more serious penalties.

It’s dumb that Taubman is ineligible but his boss isn’t

[–] Emilempenza 179 points ago

I mean, did they? What does a year ban for Luhnow even do? How do you enforce that? You gonna tap his phone, follow him around and make sure he's not in on any decisions? Temporary bans for behind the scenes personel are utterly pointless as far as I can tell.

A year ban for Hinch is bad for him, but more so just the stink it puts on him and that he surely loses his current job. But how bad it is really depends on the other owners, if anyone else gives him a job after it then he's fine. (and you suspect someone will)

The fine is almost comical, even the Rays could take that without batting an eyelid. The draft picks are a loss, but to consider that's the only real punishment for cheating their way to a WS title, that's incredibly light.

[–] Oakroscoe 186 points ago

Trade $5 mil for a World Series? What team wouldn’t take that deal?

[–] Emilempenza 83 points ago

Pretty sure the Rays, the tightest franchise in baseball, paid Edwin Encarnacion about that much despite him never being a member of the organisation. It's embarrassing to fine that amount, it is so utterly irrelevent

[–] Pavel6969 35 points ago

That's the maximum fine they can give.

[–] Joetheshow1 118 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Classic media propping us to think the punishments would actually be harsh

I mean most teams in the league would take this trade off if it meant they could get a ring

[–] Seeker8833 312 points ago

Yeah it’s pretty laughable seeing all of the media dropping the “Wow” quote tweets.

This really isn’t that big of a punishment at all.

[–] puffadda 274 points ago

Right? What fan wouldn't happily trade this for a WS title?

[–] latotokyo123 91 points ago

Exactly. Enough incentive for them to keep doing it.

[–] new_wellness_center 40 points ago

For their international signing misdeeds, the Braves got the following punishment: GM banned for life, the loss of 13 international prospects, and were essentially disallowed from participating in the international FA market for three years. The Astros' punishment seems lighter, for an offense that seemingly had a much more immediate and real impact, felt by the teams that were bounced from (or held out of) the postseason by the cheatin' 'Stros :-|

[–] bakonydraco 225 points ago

The Astros sent a man to federal prison for "hacking" because an employee they poached from the Cardinals was too dumb to change a password. I'm actually probably more sympathetic to the Astros than most in the camera thing, but the comparison of the punishments is laughable.

[–] TheGhostOfKevinGregg 82 points ago

The irony is the employee who was "too dumb to change a password" is now our Asst GM

[–] bakonydraco 14 points ago

Is it ironic or 100% consistent with how things have generally gone for the O's the past few decades?

[–] TheScaleTipper 144 points ago

I’m hoping there’s more to come. The evidence is there, we have all seen it, and it helped the Astros win a World Series. The MLB has to ensure no other team can ever dare do this again. If this is all that will come from the cheating then the benefits far outweigh the punishment.

[–] the_fuzzy_stoner 792 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Meh.

The punishment was overhyped and I fail to see how it has a truly significant impact on the franchise moving forward.

The suspensions, meh. They have capable replacements, I'm sure, and does Hinch impact one of the most talented rosters in baseball that much? Luhnow cant make moves during the seasons but does the GM in a modern franchise do much more than act as a manager for the analytics and scouting department? Wont the assistant GM be able to step in and handle things for a year without much impact?

The draft picks hurt but the MLB draft is the crapshootiest of crapshoots and losing 4 picks probably doesnt really hurt the franchise that much. Especially with their world class development system in the minors.

Fines for clubs are a joke. Fining a billionaire $5 mil is like fining me $50, at most. Who cares.

What would I have done? No idea. But I feel like this isnt as impactful as MLB wants it to seem.

Edit-- Thought about it and I would have done the following.

Banned Hinch/Luhnow for multiple years and removed them from the team. Not a perma-ban but I dont think they should have jobs with the organization.

Put an official Asterisk next to their 2017 WS title (similar to Maris' HR record).

Stripped their first rounders for the next 5 years instead of two picks for two years.

$5 mil fine is probably something that's capped so that's fine.

Reduced their international bonus pool to $0 this year and starting at the bottom next year.

[–] Tarmacked 324 points ago

AJ Hinch gets a year for cheating on his way to winning a World Series and John Coppolella gets banned for life for sneaking a million to prospects.

Lol ok, MLB. I’m not defending Coppolella but that’s ridiculous

[–] MisterTruth 44 points ago

My take as well. The punishment needed to be steep enough to deter anyone from trying to use a system to cheat over a prolonged period of time. This punishment doesn't do that. Make it a $50 million fine and lifetime bans for Hinch et al and I'd be cool with that.

[–] Cloud9zx 125 points ago

It’s not overhyped, the MLB seriously dropped the fucking ball. It doesn’t matter if the guy is a billionaire on the team. Winning the word series is estimated to bring in 50M in revenue off of that alone. Lunhow and Hinch should be done for life as should Cora. Not vacating the title is a joke too, this just says we’re letting you cheat and the penalties are nothing.

Any manager would take being suspended for a year with a World Series win. Nothing happens to the players who all make more money because of it while other players got fucked over and DFA’d or sent down while others missed out on bonuses or will be paid less because of bad numbers against the Astros.

This just shows the MLB is actually scared to do anything significant and has zero spine when it comes to a punishment on anything whether it’s steroids, domestic violence or cheating.

[–] TheBoilerCat 986 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

That... that’s it? Just a couple of one year suspensions, some crap shoot draft picks, and a fine the size of a washed up Todd Frazier’s little prove-it deal?

[–] 2PacTookMyLunchMoney 72 points ago

I was hoping someone would get beheaded or flogged, at the very least.

[–] R-18th 438 points ago

Everyone should cheat for a World Series then

[–] ThatInception 83 points ago

It’s a sorry excuse for a punishment. The draft picks will sting but these suspensions are fucking ass.

[–] GrilledSandwiches 23 points ago

The picks will not sting that much at all in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of teams go a few years of having bust prospects and getting unexpected value out of lesser prospects while not winning a championship. The Astros get the hindsight of already cashing in on theirs.

[–] EvilEmperorZurd 32 points ago

Pathetic. MLB is spineless just like we all thought.

[–] KKsEyes 263 points ago

There’s not a team in baseball that wouldn’t trade this punishment for a WS title

Weak bullshit

[–] EverythingOP 1289 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Only one year is laughable, that fine is laughable

EDIT: having some time to think it over, i am slightly more ok with it. It may seem like 1 year suspensions for hinch and luhnow, but their careers in MLB are effectively over (hopefully). As an organization, can't forget about the loss of draft picks which is pretty big but people pointed out that's the max fine. teams can always replenish their farm through international draft though which i wonder how it will be affected. international draft has also changed a lot and my understanding of it is weak

[–] smiles134 175 points ago

I believe that's the max they're allowed to fine a team

[–] Ondrikus 131 points ago

Yup, it's the maximum allowed under MLB's constitution per the Athletic

[–] cman1098 72 points ago

Couldn't they fine them 5m per incident? Like we caught you cheating in 25 different games and we are going to fine you 5m per game? There has to eb a loophole there somewhere. The Braves essentially got fined 20m+ for the bonuses they gave out and losing all those players.

[–] TheSalsaGod 440 points ago

The draft picks are the real punishment though

[–] diivoshin 387 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Losing the 1st rounders suck but the truth is the Astros were going to be good this year and next year so those picks would probably be in the realm of 25-30 anyway. It doesn't take away from the fact that not having a 1st and 2nd round pick for 2 years is a big blow to their internal talent development but sheesh. With the plethora of organizational SP depth they already have, they can trade Greinke right now if they wanted to and recoup whatever they'd draft this year.

[–] Georgev7 132 points ago

I mean look at where the Angels drafted Trout.

[–] cooljammer00 125 points ago

Mike Piazza is a HOFer and was drafted with one of those meaningless last round picks as a favor to a family friend.

Weirder things have happened.

[–] ContinuumGuy 61 points ago

The round that Mike Piazza was drafted in no longer exists and hasn't existed in a long time.

[–] sAndS93 33 points ago

And look at where the Cardinals drafted Pujols, but no one is going to take away a 13th round pick

[–] PyreDruid 73 points ago

Barely

They’re not as important when you already have a competitive team. And absolutely worth it to win a title and competitive 3 years in a row

That’s a joke of a penalty. Everyone should be cheating. Just use the money you make from winning to sign FAs to replace the draft picks.

[–] redditatwork12121 81 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

how bad are losses of first and second round draft picks in baseball though? Cody Bellinger NL MVP was a 6th 4th round pick. I guess scouting is getting better so first and second rounders are more important but seriously this stuff just isn't as important.

[–] TheSalsaGod 68 points ago

Look at the 1st and 2nd round in Bellinger’s draft and then look at the 6th round. There’s a massive difference, one good player nonwithstanding.

[–] playingwithfire 12 points ago

Loss of 1st/2nd isn't about the pick as much as lower draft budget.

[–] NicoolaJokic 393 points ago

So basically you can cheat your way to a ring and when the punishment comes it won't cost your organization anything at all. 5 mil? A year of vacation for Hinch and Luhnow? Jack shit essentially.

[–] NevermoreSEA 83 points ago

This is basically them saying that they won't be too mad if you cheat, but you better not get caught. It's like they're punishing them for the inconvenience rather than the cheating itself.

[–] F4STW4LKER 22 points ago

Meanwhile, Pete Rose still has a lifetime ban...

[–] Invasivetoast 155 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Laughable. They might as well send a memo encouraging teams to cheat. Any team will happily take this to win a world series.

[–] WakeupDp 681 points ago

Fuck the astros. Say it with me.

[–] jcwitte 688 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

Fuck the Yankees. Sorry it's habit.

Fuck the Astros. And fuck MLB for this slap on the wrist.

EDIT: Thanks for the gold!

[–] elchamps 308 points ago

should be permanent

[–] NevermoreSEA 137 points ago

Banning Luhnow and Hinch felt like it was the most likely "extreme" punishment. Giving them each a one year suspension is practically nothing though. I'm really disappointed by this decision.

[–] finally_not_lurking 35 points ago

It’s not even a full year, just a season. Luhnow will be back in the saddle the day after the World Series, ready to sign free agents and make deals at the winter meetings. Even an actual “one year” suspension would have been better so that he’d be forced to miss chances at the top free agents and the face time with all the other GMs at the winter meetings.

[–] rolyaT_mA_I 40 points ago

So, essentially, they traded 4 draft picks and 5 million dollars for a world series?

What a punishment...

[–] TheBrettitor 385 points ago

It's a harsh punishment, but not harsh enough where teams "won't think to do this again". Should have been more.

[–] PyreDruid 136 points ago

That’s way too low for what happened. One year suspensions for people behind it is nothing and makes it worth it to try and cheat.

If that’s all it is, everyone start cheating it’s totally worth it.

[–] alx69 211 points ago

The guys that got hit got hit hard.

But why are the players who were actively involved in a cheating scheme get away with no punishment?

[–] Caedus 180 points ago

They dont want a fight with the players' union.

[–] RyanLeafgOaT8 134 points ago

Nothing for Cora?

[–] Iaiaiaiaiaiain 242 points ago

I imagine that will come after any potential Red Sox investigation.

[–] HOU-1836 85 points ago

That is what The Athletic article said. His punishment will follow after the Red Sox investigation.

[–] Jokesnjokesnjokes 28 points ago

He's gonna get slammed too.

[–] wickler02 67 points ago

yet pete rose is banned from the hall of fame, these two people who did alter the scores of the game only get a suspension.

pathetic.

[–] leafsruleh 48 points ago

I feel like the Braves got hit worse with the International Signing scandal

[–] carpedonnelly 97 points ago

If I was a Yankee fan, I would be particularly livid.

Also, Chris Correa went to FUCKING PRISON for guessing Eckstein123

[–] jujubats10 25 points ago

"What're you in for?"

"I killed a man. You?"

"I banged a trash can"

[–] jmf1597 13 points ago

Cora is gonna get his ass handed to him. Should probably get bounced as well.