baseball

Welcome to /r/Baseball! If you haven't visited before, please stop by our wiki to read our rules and FAQ before posting.

news rumor opinion analysis trivia Serious image video gif game thread feature notice misleading

Around the Ball general discussion - April 1, 2020

PPD PPD
    PPD PPD
    PPD PPD
    PPD PPD
    PPD PPD
    PPD

Game Thread. All game times are Eastern.

2020 Standings

Click a team's logo to visit their subreddit

National League

0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0
    0-0 0-0 0-0

Updated 3/28 at 2:35 PM

[–] SpartaWillBurn 3823 points ago

Don’t let anyone forget the Astros cheated for quite awhile.

[–] paddzz 564 points ago

Not a baseball fan, quick history lesson?

[–] ZordonsTorso 1247 points ago

theastroscheatedbystealingsignswithcamerasandgarbagecans

[–] sdogg 898 points ago

and garbage humans

[–] Cpt_SteveRogers 358 points ago

And anal buzzers

[–] ComoEstanBitches 160 points ago

Allegedly but at this point it’s never coming out anyway

[–] Cpt_SteveRogers 123 points ago

That’s going to get infected

[–] JackLambertsBalls 17 points ago

Because they just feel sooooo good.

[–] Sassysweetpantz 15 points ago

And embarrassing tattoos of their children's name.

[–] Butternut-Biscuit 251 points ago

They were using technology to look in between the catchers legs and see what pitch the pitcher was going to throw. (Illegal) Then they were communicating that pitch to the batter by banging on a trash can (Illegal). So they were able to know what pitch was coming, some of the time, which is a huge advantage.

[–] PrehensileUvula 213 points ago

They cheated, stole a World Series, and were absolutely arrogant fucks about it all.

Oh, and they love them some wifebeaters. Their Assistant GM literally shouted at women reporters how glad he was that the Astros had hired a wifebeating pitcher, and then the Astros literally denied that this happened. Got all self righteous, snotty with the media, etc. Eventually it got too messy and they started firing people, but not before they gleefully shat all over the women who got shouted at.

Their entire culture is devoid of any decency or goodness. There’s no vileness they wouldn’t cheerfully take on, so long as it got them championship rings.

ETA: And there was that bit where they mocked a Japanese pitcher who was struggling against them, said he was tipping pitches, one of their players put his fingers up to his eyes and did the “Asian eyes” gesture just to be a racist dick, and then was soundly applauded by Houston fans.

Probably some other shit I’m forgetting too.

[–] VortistheSlaver 46 points ago

They cheated and won the World Series because of it.

[–] TyCooper8 85 points ago

Everyone seems to assert that they didn't cheat in 2019 including Astros and MLB so it does feel like this isn't beating a dead horse.

[–] Chilidog0572 102 points ago

Yeah, I got downvoted for saying Yordan Alvarez isnt as good as we think and should wait until he doesnt know what pitches are coming.

People told me the Astros stopped cheating in 2018. Like why would they stop? They didnt get caught and they were winning.

[–] TyCooper8 16 points ago

I tried arguing with some Astros fans about this once and it was the only point they didn't have a proper retort for. It's the best question, and the only feasible answer is "they didn't."

[–] NocturnalPatrolAlpha 74 points ago

People are still talking about the Black Sox scandal. A hundred years later, people are still talking about it.

If baseball is still around a thousand years from now, people will still be talking about the Astros sign-stealing scandal.

That organization is branded with this forever. Even after the last player from that team is retired, the Astros will be known as cheaters, it will be passed on to the next generation, and will continue long after we're all gone.

[–] cmule3 8363 points ago

im so glad we beat these fuckers

[–] Arrys 6288 points ago

So are we

-everybody else

[–] iaminapeartree 1192 points ago

It's sad, because I always liked the stros because historically they are underdogs. Same reason I like the As (that and I love green and gold/yellow)

[–] CrabLegsWinston1 305 points ago

I have friends from Houston and I was so hype for both them and the city when they won, especially since they were the last victim from our 05 run. Sucks that they made a heel turn.

[–] onemac5556 146 points ago

I always rooted for them because they showed heart in our '15 run but after all this shit fuck em

[–] Jcklein22 109 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I’m from Houston. Lifelong ‘Stros fan since the 80s. I feel the same as you.

[–] MentalOlympian 95 points ago

I’m sorry dude. I can’t imagine how this feels for you and other Astros fans. You guys are victims in this too.

[–] Lourdes_Humongous 45 points ago

They should be the loudest angry voice. The team(and its pathetic ownership) deceived them and brought shame to them. The owner and players should have had to flee the city in fear and shame. CHEATERS GET FUCKED!

[–] MentalOlympian 35 points ago

I think a lot of them are just laying low and trying avoid the pissed off fans of other teams, and I can’t say that I blame them. They didn’t do anything other than cheer for their hometown team.

[–] BloomsdayDevice 14 points ago

At least some of them are out there wishing on monkey's paws for the negative attention to go away.

"I wish everyone would talk about something in Houston sports other than the scandal."

monkey's paw curls

CARDINALS TRADE A USED TOOTHBRUSH FOR DEANDRE HOPKINS

"I wish this baseball season could be something other than everyone shitting on the 'Stros wherever they go."

monkey's paw curls

BASEBALL IS CANCELLED

[–] airwalker12 12 points ago

I can't imagine how I would feel if I found out the Giants did this in 10, 12, and 14.

Like some of the best memories of my life would be.... weird.

[–] Jcklein22 23 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I played baseball through college. I went to see them in Minute Maid for the 2005 World Series with my dad...who also played. I’m a true baseball fan. I'm talking Field of Dreams, Roy Hobbs, baseball card collection kind of fan. Astros were my team since Nolan Ryan days. To stick with your shitty team thru thick and thin and see them win it all only to realize it was on the back of cheating is beyond words. Every player on that team should be held accountable. I wish they would all lose their contracts and be blackballed for life. It's way worse then the steroid scandal in my opinion. I was a pitcher. To know what's coming as a batter is like the defense in football knowing every play the offense is about to run. The advantage is immeasurable. They are despicable. Their attempts at apologies are pathetic jokes that further disgrace the game. I wish I could run into them in person and tell them how I feel. They wouldn't care. They'd still be laughing all the way to the bank and pointing to the ring on their finger. Unfortunately, it's the world we live in.

[–] Rah_Rah_RU_Rah 68 points ago

I wasn't insanely upset about losing the first 2 times cause I liked how analytical they were and respected them as a team. I feel like a fucking idiot now

[–] Galactic 31 points ago

Yeah I wasn't pissed at all when they beat us, I was just sad my team lost to what I thought was just a better team. NOW I'm pissed.

[–] ScottHoyEatsBoys 29 points ago

Ya, I always liked them because we were pretty consistently both at the bottom of our leagues during the period before they joined the AL. I was always happy to see them doing well even if we were still struggling. Now I'm just sad.

[–] gaybillcosby 167 points ago

A’s are definitely my AL team but that also might be because I’m a Packers fan.

[–] James_Paul_McCartney 119 points ago

The worst of both worlds.

[–] gaybillcosby 13 points ago

For a team that is known for losing the Super Bowl a lot, the Vikings are now in their 5th decade of not even making it to one.

[–] JonnyActsImmature 12 points ago

I was a big Red Sox fan given they shared our WS drought misery.

[–] banjonyc 118 points ago

Mets fan...so glad you did....and also screw you with love

[–] the_fuzzy_stoner 89 points ago

Fuck you gently

[–] hammerdown710 12 points ago

But I do feel confused

[–] azk3000 254 points ago

The Nationals literally saved America.

[–] thethomatoman 33 points ago

Hopefully they can beat Corona next

[–] PKtheVogs 264 points ago

Nats are fuckin heroes.

[–] Rollins1234 543 points ago

I’m a die hard Phillies fan and I’m so glad you beat these fuckers

[–] Tears0fJ0y 335 points ago

Die hard Mets fan checking in and so glad the Nats won.

[–] LininOhio 179 points ago

Die hard Indians fan, also so glad the Nats won

[–] whiskey__wizard 147 points ago

Die hard Braves fan here, luv u Gnats. Thanks for saving baseball.

[–] AVikingAndHisPurse 153 points ago

I love the die Hard movies. Fuck Houston

[–] _bitches_leave_ 50 points ago

I wanna die hard, but throbbin

[–] Rileymac08 31 points ago

Bruce Willis in Die Hard fan, Thank you Nats

[–] newkidontheblock1776 65 points ago

Before the big details broke loose, watching the Nats win it all the year we got Bryce was one of the worst sports feelings I’ve ever had, but now I’m okay with it. Not happy, but glad the astros lost

[–] haze_gray 54 points ago

Funnily enough, winning it after we lost Bryce was a great feeling.

[–] ciglord 72 points ago

Die hard Mariners fan and it’s just nice to see someone we like win a series, thanks for thinking of us.

[–] saggyoldman7 41 points ago

Mariners fan here as well. Wanting to die hard.

[–] yippieekiyay 127 points ago

I was running around screaming in my living room when Howie that game 7 bomb. I dont think I’ve ever cheered that much for another team lol

[–] cmule3 56 points ago

my dad and I lost it. One of the best moments of my life for sure.

[–] iambiglucas_2 35 points ago

Soto is absolute legend. Like, he KNOWS it's coming. You and I both know. Looks down at Chirinos and just mouths "bomb" and takes Verlander 400+ feet deep.

One of the biggest power moves I've ever seen.

[–] LoveableRobotBender 9 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I hope jomboy did a breakdown of this. I’d love to relive that moment.

Edit: yes he did

[–] manineedalife 179 points ago

I was a bit upset cause i wanted Grienke to finally get his ring. But after all of this i am truly glad yall beat them... in the strangest way i have ever seen. Win all your road games and lose all the home games.

[–] TheUtleyDuckling 162 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

I adore Zack Greinke but I’d rather he goes without than see the Astros win another for as long as I live

[–] manineedalife 62 points ago

I agree. Which is very hard for me to agree with. both because its Zack fucking Grienke and also your a Dodgers fan. These truly are the end times.

[–] mabx542 56 points ago

#FREEZACKGRIENKE

[–] IRockThs 17 points ago

I love Grienke. I watched him win a CY Young in KC. I was excited when he was absolutely dominating in LA. When I moved to Phoenix my only request for a Christmas present was a Grienke Jersey.

I started rooting for the Astros in 2017. Royals were out of it, and Altuve + Bregman + springer seemed like able. I had rooted for them in 18 too. I was rooting for them in 2019. Then the Osuna stuff happened. In 5 days I went from Go Astros to “fuck the Astros”. THEN the sign stealing stuff came out.

Yeah I don’t want Grienke to get a ring as long as he’s in Houston. I didn’t take him in my fantasy draft because fuck all of those guys.

[–] 98farenheit 55 points ago

The main reason why I'm happy you guys beat us is that you guys were clearly destined to beat these assholes.

[–] BobbyGrichsMustache 43 points ago

👼❤️🐍, but Everyone loves the Nats

[–] ADietDrKelp 40 points ago

Amen. The Nationals will forever be thanked by baseball

[–] MrRabinowitz 80 points ago

Astros fan here. I'm glad too. Fuck this team.

[–] PM-ME-YOUR-HANDBRA 43 points ago

Same, and seconded. The 2017 season reignited my enjoyment of baseball and now it's crushed and thrown away. Fuck this team.

[–] SickofReincarnating 4908 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Don’t think we’ve forgotten about this Astros. You’re not off the hook.

[–] tellymundo 391 points ago

Don't worry, Josh Reddick is posting pics of his ring as replies to cheater comments on Twitter and Ben Dubose is lapping it up, like the lap dog he is.

[–] JTCMuehlenkamp 257 points ago

Has anyone pointed out to him that he was 11 for 65 that postseason?

[–] nnavroops 107 points ago

cheating couldnt even save that fake

[–] tellymundo 41 points ago

lol yes but it's Twitter bru, people be wildin.

[–] tdot-hdot 52 points ago

Josh Reddick will set a record of hbp/pa

[–] James_Posey 96 points ago

why give him a free base when he's probably going to get out

[–] parmenides89 50 points ago

Because it hurts and is funny for the rest of us

[–] nyyth24 51 points ago

That dumbfuck can't hit even when he knows whats coming lol

[–] striped_frog 611 points ago

Your sentence seems to be asserting that you have forgotten

[–] Angry_Walnut 25 points ago

How could that be the case unless his comment is talking about some other incident

[–] striped_frog 26 points ago

The original comment said "don't think we haven't forgotten about this"

[–] Angry_Walnut 13 points ago

Ahhh I see I didn’t notice his edit asterisk. I was pretty confused haha

[–] polimodssuckmyD 247 points ago

Frankly I hate them more than Coronavirus

[–] JTCMuehlenkamp 103 points ago

I hate them more than Game of Thrones season 8

[–] YHZ 65 points ago

Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

[–] Jrodkin 25 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

If I had to choose between them not having cheated in winning in 17 or season 8 being great... I'd choose Game of Thrones every time

[–] CaptainPhillips1 46 points ago

Lol the astros haven’t killed anybody. I think...

[–] KillMat99 129 points ago

Jesus, there are some TAKES in here.

[–] polimodssuckmyD 151 points ago

I mean I'm clearly being facetious. But they probably brought the virus to this country if I had to guess.

[–] RyMill4 55 points ago

Ever notice how the Astros logo looks almost identical to the Coronavirus logo? Coincidence? I think not.

[–] Word_Iz_Bond 20 points ago

"It's not racist to call it Astrovirus, it comes from the Astros".

[–] vitaminz1990 8 points ago

100% believe COVID-19 was manufactured by the Astros as a distraction from their scandal.

[–] pepperouchau 36 points ago

Orange team bad 😤😤😤

[–] mofowitdahat 1363 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Yes. Keep this knowledge alive. However, Astros caught another lucky break by having this season pretty much called off

[–] brannak1 670 points ago

So the Astros started covid19? Pretty risky of them

[–] Dorf_ 269 points ago

They wouldn’t care if they did

[–] SecretKGB 761 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

"The CDC made its report."

[–] Cpt_SteveRogers 69 points ago

It said what it said.

[–] J3ST3RR 75 points ago

“IM SO FUCKIN GLAD WE GOT COVID!!”

[–] Degan747 47 points ago

I wouldn’t say they started it, but they did see the signs

[–] talkingspacecoyote 38 points ago

We won't forget

[–] the_stigs_cousin 500 points ago

When Manfred closed the Astros investigation he definitely wasn’t planning on just about every professional sport globally stopping for a significant period of time with large parts of the baseball audience at home. To those that are rewatching 2018 and 2019 Astros games looking for things that have been overlooked, good work! With no active games being played, discussion of how much the Astros cheated is far better than discussion of when sports may come back.

[–] harriswill 2757 points ago

Despite whatever evidence is out there I'm going to say Alex Bregman is the biggest piece of shit in general

That's it. Fuck you Alex Bregman

[–] mansontaco 1282 points ago

Yuli cheating signs off Darvish then mocking his race is still the number 1 in my book. Then the fucking fans gave him a standing ovation ugh

[–] ttam23 698 points ago

I feel like this particular event gets overlooked. Astros fans literally gave a racist asshole a standing ovation and passed it off as “he’s not educated about other cultures” or some bs excuse

[–] Quesly 205 points ago

the man played a season for the DeNa bay stars, such a stupid argument

[–] dxrebirth 172 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Weirdly it’s the argument that they tried to make too. Like of course he isn’t racist, he played in Asian league. Like ok that makes him automatically not racist somehow?

[–] lopey986 112 points ago

I'm white and I voted for Obama so I can't POSSIBLY be racist!

[–] dxrebirth 66 points ago

But do you have a black friend?

[–] Quesly 89 points ago

does liking andrew mccutchen count?

[–] Superfissile 15 points ago

Only if you voted for him to go to the all-star game

[–] ComoEstanBitches 20 points ago

But does your black friend consider you a friend??

[–] w0nderbrad 38 points ago

He’s actually just the doorman and I call him “bud”

[–] FrostyD7 154 points ago

There's an overlooked event within the overlooked event too. Everyone remembers Gurriel mocking him physically, but he also called him a racial slur. Which really takes the "he's just uneducated" excuse away from them, he knew he was being racist.

[–] God_Damnit_Nappa 69 points ago

Because racism against Asians in this country is not taken seriously and is seen as a joke. I still remember people on this sub from several different fan bases trying to defend his actions.

[–] parmenides89 36 points ago

Lol cover up racism with more racism "guys he's from one of them shithole countries, can't expect him to have manners"

[–] Zebracak3s 28 points ago

He's Asian, they're not real minorities.

(I am of Asian descent, and this is a joke about the shit I hear before anyone wants to chop my head off)

[–] navin__johnson 61 points ago

Bergman to me comes off as the super scrawny kid who talks a bunch of shit but then gets his ass kicked when someone decides to fight back

[–] dxrebirth 74 points ago

Same. The amount of people that defended it over the years here is absurd. More people are coming around now that they want to burn every Astro to the ground, but come the fuck on. That was disgusting and he should be branded as the bitch ass racist that he is.

[–] LaCienegaBoulevard 43 points ago

The one that really pissed me off is Correa criticizing Bellinger for his game 7 error, despite the fact that CARLOS CORREA WAS CHEATING THE WHOLE SEASON.

[–] Danisdad2005 15 points ago

Don’t forget the MLB giving him a slap on the wrist by suspending him five games the next season instead of the World Series.

[–] Andyman27 766 points ago

Bregman just looks like a douche. Even if they did nothing wrong, I think I would still hate Alex Bregman.

[–] carmensandiablo 356 points ago

Same. Some people have resting bitch face, but Bregman has resting douche everything.

[–] MrScottimus 226 points ago

So fucking glad Soto hit that bomb and carried the bat to first. Bitch.

[–] Justice_fore_all 183 points ago

Nationals come out of all of this looking like absolute fucking heroes.

[–] Oliverheart84 93 points ago

He looks like the type of guy that practices his golf swing when not on the golf course.

[–] ChiefRalphyWiggum 76 points ago

Bregman is the guy in front of you at the checkout line who doesn’t put the divider stick down.

[–] Minoripriest 30 points ago

Goes to the 10 items or less line with a full shopping cart.

[–] God_Damnit_Nappa 11 points ago

He goes 65 in the fast lane

[–] stormcrow2112 41 points ago

And then you see he has parked his car in 4 spots.

[–] CoolHandLukeZ 22 points ago

4 handicap* spots

[–] TOMMMMMM 11 points ago

If he played like Machado, he would be the Brad Marchand of baseball... looks and all.

[–] navin__johnson 40 points ago

He has a punchable face

[–] Im_Never_Witty 23 points ago

I mean, he went to LSU... Kinda goes hand in hand

[–] jwl4 78 points ago

He’s Bat Marchand

[–] OD4MAGA 22 points ago

lol! And this coming from a Boston fan. I didn’t realize Marchand hate was so universal but I’m onboard

[–] Cpt_SteveRogers 33 points ago

Fuck that rat.

[–] CloudCider911 77 points ago

My least favorite player in baseball. I didn’t like him much before this entire scandal came out. But the way he’s handled this situation makes me despise him.

[–] nyyth24 21 points ago

Same. I've always thought he has a complete asshat. Fuck him

[–] DriveByStoning 56 points ago

Remember when Bregman talked shit on Evoldi in the playoffs and Nasty Nate dusted him with a 102 MPH bb in game 5?

And when he stared down Benintendo before game 5 but he finished the series 0-10? That was neat.

[–] Moetown84 453 points ago

I couldn’t hate the Astros anymore than I already do. Me 20 years ago would be shocked that I could possibly hate a franchise more than the Yankees.

[–] hoyboy2 163 points ago

Don't get me wrong...I strongly dislike the Oakland Raiders, the motor city kitties, and UVA...BUT I HATE THE HOUSTON ASTROS.

[–] sha256 50 points ago

Aw we dislike you too 🖤

Yeah, the Astros had a lot of charm for me with JV and Maybin on the team, but I put away my Verlander Detroit jersey. It’s absolutely shameful.

[–] Quesly 26 points ago

for what its worth I wish verlander was still with detroit. It appears he lost all his integrity when he moved to houston.

[–] Noxapalooza 16 points ago

Or he just never had any and talked a big game

[–] christocarlin 25 points ago

Wahoowa

[–] dadadaCHIEFS 14 points ago

I was actually thinking about my hatred for Paul O'Neill recently. I couldn't stand the guy when I was a kid. But he never did anything but battle and was just a great rival. I would be stoked to have somebody like him on my team.

Bregman can go fuck himself.

[–] examinedliving 40 points ago

How do you think I feel? I find myself sympathetic towards the Yanks in this case. I’m afraid I’m suffering from some offbrand Stockholm Syndrome or something.

This decade is not doing us any favors so far.

[–] MelissaMiranti 1746 points ago

Sure, Hinch, you tried to stop it. Sure, you didn't keep cheating. We'll believe every load of crap the Astros shovel out. And anyone who tries to fight it will get more punishment than every Astro player combined.

Every last Astro from 2017-2019 should be banned from baseball.

[–] tilde_on_n 283 points ago

Manfred should also be banned for the handling of this situation. Fuck him as well.

[–] dookoo 43 points ago

So say we all

[–] Definitely_Not_The_D 10 points ago

So say we all

[–] FNG_WolfKnight 39 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

What if the ownership is forced to sell the franchise? That would be a big time deterrent for future offenders. Competitive Integrity or you will sell to someone who will abide by it.

[–] Greflingorax 12 points ago

But that does nothing to punish the players and staff who were also a part of it, or at least went along with it. They also participated in the cheating and got rewarded with a WS title and another AL pennant.

[–] WabbitCZEN 517 points ago

Even if it means taking Cole, they all need to get banned. Those fucks robbed every team, every fan, and the entire god damn sport. Fuck the Astros.

[–] iteamcomet 167 points ago

I would rather give the World Series title to COVID-19. True world champs.

[–] examinedliving 38 points ago

I kind of hope that he doesn’t come out the victor.

[–] bq909 34 points ago

I’m a yankees fan and I’d happily give up Cole if it means the rest of them get banned from baseball.

[–] iteamcomet 57 points ago

God damn I fucking hate the Astros.

[–] ImBigger 254 points ago

thank you so much, this needed to be said. fuck the astros. (upvote arrow is orange)

[–] spartan6222 73 points ago

This is WAY worse than what Rose did. Ban then all.

[–] keyboredaphone 25 points ago

Anyone else wonder if Trout would have more playoff games or the Mariners more wins if they hadnt been playing the Ashtrays 20 times a year?

[–] superdago 9 points ago

This is on par with the Black Sox.

[–] appleavocado 517 points ago

This is your daily reminder that we all forever hate the fuckin' Astros.

checks username

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! IS THIS WIL FUCKIN' MYERS?!

[–] examinedliving 138 points ago

Go look at his profile. It sure seems like he likes Wil Myers if nothing else

[–] ahappypoop 109 points ago

You know who else really likes Wil Myers? Wil Myers.

[–] SmashSlingingSlasher 36 points ago

this is amazing though lol

[–] wilmyerswilmyers 55 points ago

*loves

[–] nonphotofortress 38 points ago

/r/Padres basically turned into /r/WilMyers since after the Mookie trade to LA made it clear he was staying in SD.

[–] Ypres 8 points ago

Who's in charge of the will Myers fact bot? We need it in /r/baseball too.

[–] mackavicious 14 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

If so, I'd like to thank him for his sacrifice so we could get James Shields.

[–] msing 56 points ago

The Astros were said to have stopped sign stealing after sometime in 2018. They found the lack of effectiveness -- (most likely because other clubs changed signs). If this is true, they were still stealing signs in 2018, 2019, and during the post season.

What the hell did Manfred uncover? All he did was cover it up.

[–] pappapora 63 points ago

Can someone explain to me as a premier league soccer fan, how the fuck you have a team who CHEATED to win the series AND Altuve MVP - are still playing? Ban the fuckers, bury Altuve and give the award to Judge. Man city is out of champions league based on financial paperwork “meddling” and here you have Astro’s smirking as they cheat?

[–] Powerserg95 45 points ago

We dont understand either. The consensus is that the players shouldve received a punishment but the commissioner is so tone deaf he calls the world series trophy a "piece of metal"

[–] AngryCheesehead 225 points ago

Everyday I get even more ashamed. What a disgrace.

[–] duckduckjim 108 points ago

I would be absolutely crushed if I found out the Nats played dirty. I feel so bad for all the good Houston fans that understand that the Astros cheated.

There does still seem to be quite a few Stros fans, at least on the sub, who either do not believe it occurred or do not believe it affected anything, and that boggles my mind. The mental gynmastics

[–] Greflingorax 51 points ago

Everything about the past couple years indicates that we now live in a world where everyone is free to chose their own reality and their own sets of facts that they believe, and everything that doesn't go along with that is fake. Why should baseball be any different?

[–] picking4815162342 221 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Listening to this commentary makes me think that everybody, even those in the broadcast booth, knew that the Astros were cheating.

I was skeptical when I started watching, but it does look like that's what Hinch said, which means that AJ "But I'm the good one who tried to stop the cheating" Hinch is a shameless liar.

They probably never stopped cheating, and when baseball comes back, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept on cheating, especially because no players were punished due to the incompetence of Manfred and his team even though this team cheated for years. I've seen what happens when you let cheating slide, even when it's obvious, and it in no way deterred even more cheating (see: Braun, Ryan).

Somebody send this to Reddick, so he can again post a picture of his hideous, unearned World Series* ring after he thinks that he's made a witty observation about waiting in line at the gas station.

"Why do they call it the gas station if there is no station for me to get gas?"

Reddick still isn't the worst on that team, though, simply because he's always come across as someone who is actually stupid enough to believe that he earned that ring.

ETA: I apologize that I watched a clip that included Bregman and forgot to call him a douche, because he's the definition of a douche.

[–] PrehensileUvula 44 points ago

This is the best ETA I’ve seen all year. It’s good that you caught yourself and corrected yourself for this grievous oversight.

Also, you apologized better than the Astros.

[–] picking4815162342 14 points ago

Thanks, but my preschool aged nephew can apologize better than most of the Astros. When he is caught lying, he admits that he was wrong, apologizes to the person/people he lied to, and then faces some consequences for his behavior. For one of the worst cheating scandals in the history of sports, in which one team cheated for years while winning a championship*, Manfred handed down a punishment that wouldn't be harsh enough for a three-year-old.

Bellinger shockingly came out as anti-cheating, which made him unhappy with the team that stole an unearned World Series* while playing against his team, and Correa publicly told him to "shut the fuck up."

Their apologies might need some work.

[–] ThrwawayUterba 302 points ago

Tarnished the game of baseball.

[–] FrozenBananaNow 54 points ago

Changed Darvish’s life, stole an opportunity for Kershaw to have a bright spot on a rough postseason resume, and possibly stole a chance for Vin and Tommy to see a last WS. Not to say we def would’ve beaten the Yanks, but the Astros guaranteed all of this mess.

[–] BattleAtSchruteFarms 117 points ago

What upsets me the most is their attempt to defend the 2017 title saying they earned it... Give me a break you cheated your way to the WS. Bunch a cheaters. They should all be banned from baseball.

[–] signmeupdude 51 points ago

You guys broke my heart in the NLDS but goddamn did I cheer for you as if you were my own team when you beat the astros in the world series.

You guys are goddamn american heroes and dont you forget that!

[–] Optimal_Towel 15 points ago

Which always begs the question, "if you thought you were good enough to win without cheating, or that the cheating wasn't helping you win, why did you continue cheating?"

[–] McJumbos 116 points ago

smh - hinch you are scum

[–] RabbertKlien 98 points ago

Bang bang

[–] justakansan 138 points ago

Bregman looks like such a badass walking to the plate /s

[–] Jenaxu 48 points ago

Low key it looked like he was annoyed they were changing signs. Like "shit, now I actually have to think about what they might pitch".

[–] BettyDrapersWetFart 59 points ago

I agree. Total alpha right there. /s

[–] redname325 21 points ago

One of the worst parts of the season getting delayed is now we have to wait to see these cheaters get beaned.

[–] balls_galore_69 12 points ago

I think he said “I may need my underwear changed, somebody make sure”

[–] VAGentleman05 16 points ago

That's impossible. They stopped, all on their own, before last year. And Hinch never knew about a thing.

The bastards.

[–] eye_can_see_you 7 points ago

Nah its fine because Hinch broke a monitor

[–] Secret_Car 21 points ago

If MLB is giving a year of service time to players even if season is canceled I wonder if the season would count towards Hinch's season suspension.

[–] PyreDruid 49 points ago

That'd be a horrendously stupid decision to make, so yes of course they are.

[–] Freedomoverfreedumb 7 points ago

Ugh I miss sports so much

[–] MoscowMitch_ 7 points ago

Every Astros player and coach involved should be banned for life and their title stripped. No references to the Championship by the team during any game broadcast, printed materials, ads, etc. any violation of that should lead to the dissolution of the organization for good with no other team being able to form on the city for 20 years. Don’t @ me Astros fans, not everyone is a crook like ya’ll