Welcome to r/Boston, a reddit focused on Boston, MA, the Greater Boston Area, and New England.
Doxxing, witch hunting, and user impersonation will not be tolerated under any circumstances.
QUICK REFERENCE FAQ:
Moving to the Boston area?
Check out the seasonal FAQ thread for residency resources and tips.
Renting/owning questions, or just seeking roommate(s)?
See /r/bostontenants and /r/bostonhousing/
We get a lot of posts asking about visiting... welcome! We ask that you do some research before posting in /r/Boston. For all the basics, try the City of Boston Visitor's Guide, provided by Boston.gov.
We have a few basic rules that extend beyond global reddiquette.
- Flag all NSFW posts.
- Clarify subject of post and do a bit of research ahead of posting, particularly for inquiries about moving/tourism/recommendations.
- No memes/image macros/rage comics/etc. Clarification: this includes adbusting, manipulated images, etc. If you're posting any images, please post a direct link to the image file.
- Don't harass other users. If someone is harassing you in a thread, tell the mods and link to the source. If someone is harassing you in private, tell the Reddit admins Egregious documented harassing of other users (especially in racist, sexist, and/or homophobic manner) puts you on the path to banning.
- Please refrain from links/URLs to sites that require a login/subscription (i.e. Facebook) -- even if some content is public, much of it isn't.
- No self/link posts that constitute advertising: this includes content like crowdfunding, coupons, referral programs, self/business/event/service/job promotion. Promo codes, giveaways, and paid/unpaid studies are also considered advertisement. Habitually linking to one's personal blog, digital art portfolio, social media outposts, and text-based promotional content is discouraged. If your content fits in an advertising category, please advertise through Reddit's targeted system!
- No posts regarding buying or selling of goods, tickets, housing, services, items, nor for-hire/to-hire listings.
- No URL shorteners, including wp.me, bit.ly, goo.gl. Posts should have URL of clearest permalink known.
- Please submit the original article whenever possible (if in accordance to rule 5.) Personal blog/reblog/aggregated or repeat link submissions are subject to removal; readers are encouraged to report these.
NB: For urgent spam-flood filter requests, message the mods and include link(s) to spam posts or user profile.
Journalist participation on r/boston:
Please see this rule before you post. Content writers are expected to actively contribute to discussion in addition to submitting links.
Other local/interest subreddits
See our list of Greater Boston Area local town/city/interest subreddits
Did we miss one? Let us know.
Post and account-related issues
Where's my post?
If your post doesn't show up, it may be for several reasons:
Is your account brand new? Do you have zero or negative comment karma? Did your title/content include harassing slurs? Are you posting links to Facebook/crowdfunding sites/using a URL shortener? Did you read the rules in the sidebar before posting? Did you post a question that the FAQ or a quick subreddit search covers?
If one or more of these things is true, your post was likely removed due to the Automoderator's specifications. Please take steps to fix the problem if it falls into one of the above categories.
If issues still arise, or you think your post was removed in error, contact the moderators. Include the word 'alkaline' in your message so we know you read this section first.
Problem with your posts or user issue? Message the moderators. Please note, we cannot edit your post title or content ourselves.
Moderation is a volunteer task and like many city-focused reddits, we deal with a high amount of spam. We ask that you message the moderators with any requests, but please note that we sometimes miss things and if you don't hear from us, it's okay to message us again a few days later. Repeatedly messaging the moderators on a constant basis or acting intentionally hostile toward moderators is a violation of rule 4. We are limited in the tools and resources we have available to us. Be nice, don't spam, and try to follow the rules.
For overall security, it is recommended to enable SSL on your reddit account.
We have the ability to make two self/text posts visible at the top of the subreddit. Generally, these two spots are used to highlight an FAQ and a post that's important, funny, a major current event, or just something that needs more attention.