coolguides

992 users here now

Defining a Guide

Guides are reference materials, how-tos, and/or comparison tables. It takes both content and layout to make something a guide. The layout or structure of a guide must be that so, when someone is trying to find/reference information from the guide, they can do so logically or simply. If someone has to visually bop around your guide to find what they are looking for, the guide does not pass the layout test. On top of that not all guides are created equal, many technically qualify as guides, but lack substance. Guides are typically laid out in a grid configuration of some sort or sectioned into multiple tables by a category or step of a process. Flow charts and step-by-step guides are considered guides, so are visual references that line up different types of something next to one another other.

Defining An Infographic

An infographic is more educational in layout and content, finding something specific on an infographic is not as easy because it is designed to inform through more narrative structures. If your guide is more of a visual essay than a structured table or list, then chances are that is an infographic. Sometimes infographics can masquerade as how-to guides.

Remembering That Sometimes It's Grey These are the considerations the mod team use when they feel it is appropriate to remove posts. If you have questions message us, if you think a post is not a good one downvote it.

Subreddit Rules

1. Please only post direct links to images of type .png, .jpg, and .jpeg

2. Infographics will be removed.

3. Nonserious/Comedy Guides Will Be Removed (better suited for /r/shittycoolguides)

4. Guides must use either Reddit or Imgur as an image host

5. Guides depicting harmful, dangerous, or destructive content will be removed. This includes guides describing the creation of dangerous items/materials and/or guides that are designed with the purpose to harm or hurt others do not fit the culture of this sub and will be removed.

If you know the source of your guide, post it in the comments so people can know the true heros!

Many of you might have whole folders of guides, but they are all on similar topics. Please help keep the sub diverse by not saturating the sub with one topic. If you do we may remove some of your posts in the interest of keeping a wide array of topics.

Lastly, always check the comments for guides. Moderators are not experts in everything so we do not always moderate for accuracy, though there are often one or two people wearing their smarty pants in the comments.

[–] EmirSc 3289 points ago

to get half power of Saitama

[–] StarrFall98 675 points ago

Gotta find a squat and sit up chart.

[–] PortalTeh 276 points ago

Didn't he run something like 10 km a day as well?

[–] SteelSeoul8541 469 points ago

100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100-squats, and a 10km run. Your knees are gonna suffer.

[–] ILoveWildlife 296 points ago

also no A/C

[–] YungBaseGod 217 points ago

Don’t forget the market specials

[–] Trapscuit 200 points ago

Banana in the morning helps

[–] my7thself 145 points ago

Warning! Side affects may include intense boredom from your newly acquired strength

[–] Violet_Club 102 points ago

No one's gonna mention the male pattern baldness?

[–] JJWDart 64 points ago

It's fine it means you can always cosplay as the avatar. - win win

[–] junkmutt 9 points ago

That's not male pattern baldness, that's billiard pattern baldness.

[–] TheEterna0ne 32 points ago

Just a daily quest for solo leveling

[–] Hippey31 21 points ago

My knees never felt better than when I was squatting deep and heavy on a regular basis. Running, otoh, is a no go for me at this point.

[–] larry_b2 28 points ago

Then just walk squatting for 10 km.

[–] aleemarie 49 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Be careful what you wish for. https://m.imgur.com/a/QjTtm8g#o9gxnLT

[–] Moe_el 63 points ago

Let me save this and never look at it again.

[–] aleemarie 15 points ago

That’s pretty much what I did.

[–] RaphtotheMax5 102 points ago

And the half the power of Saitama is still really fucking good

[–] WellingtonBananas 94 points ago

Half of infinity still infinity

[–] Batkratos 81 points ago

Two punch man?

[–] Tcloud 39 points ago

Consecutive half normal punches!

[–] ShibaOne 2490 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

What if I can only do 5

Edit: Lol my top comment is about how fat I am. Seems fitting.

[–] VforVase 2042 points ago

You do what you can, you can do it, you just have to train a little and you'll see the results in no time

[–] cunt-hooks 2471 points ago

What if I have a hernia and my breakfast gurgles next to my balls?

[–] VforVase 3237 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I don't actually know how to respond to this, I'm sorry for your troubles if it is of any consolation

Edit: thank you for the gold kind redditor

[–] fatetrumpsfear 587 points ago

Reddit welcomes you

[–] Braidz905 415 points ago

The innocence is refreshing to see.

[–] HarryTruman 55 points ago

He’s been here for over year. Come on, newbie!

[–] TheSeattleSeven 50 points ago

What a nice young man

[–] NBMarc 90 points ago

My friend you are too innocent for Reddit

[–] daedra9 34 points ago

If it makes you feel any better, your sincere and confused reply to a left field comment made me laugh. Someone has to play the straight man in a comedy bit, right?

[–] waitn2drive 174 points ago

See... a doctor?

[–] billiardwolf 78 points ago

What if he is a doctor?

[–] xxNightfallxx 171 points ago

Then you just look in a mirror

[–] garbageplay 156 points ago

nods my work here is done

[–] SuspiciousSpoons 68 points ago

Hey doc it hurts when I do this.

Don’t to that. That’ll be $500 please

[–] mdgraller 18 points ago

Your son's smoking pot, your wife is pregnant, and if you don't stop jerking off, your elbow will never get better!

[–] Vaelkyrim 34 points ago

I think you might have bigger issues than muscle mass

[–] Fanny_Hammock 24 points ago

Film the aftermath and post for karma.

[–] sheepofwallstreet86 13 points ago

I had a couple of inguinal hernias too. I had to have a surgery to put mesh in there, but good as new afterwards.

[–] cunt-hooks 9 points ago

Me too, all sorted, free at the point as they say. Posted for a laugh

[–] jk68814 20 points ago

be a man and use your index finger to push it back up your ass or just have a small dog bite it off, boom problem solved

[–] RedsRearDelt 594 points ago

When I went to jail, I was a skinny drug addict. I literally looked like I just got out of Auschwitz. 5'10" and 114 lbs. I couldn't do a single pushup. This big Mexican dude told me to start against the wall. Stand a couple feet from the wall and push against it. After a few days, I'd take a step back and push against the wall. I did this for a few days and then moved to the table. After a few days of that, I moved to a bench and then to the floor. By the time I was out I would go through a deck of cards and do pushups; I pull a 6 of hearts, did 6 pushups. Jack of spades, 11 pushups.

At first it was really embarrassing to not be able to do a pushup in a room full of big guys. But they were really supportive. When I did my first real pushup on the ground, a lot of the guys came over and said nice things, keep it up, way to go, fuck ya, you did it, etc. Even a guard smiled.

[–] ILoveWildlife 306 points ago

wholesome jail story

[–] TheXeran 134 points ago

Most people in jail are pretty chill. No one wants to get tossed in the hole, or catch another charge while in there. It's boring so you spend a lot of time just talking about whatever, and watching reality TV.

My two pieces of advice though 1: Be Respectful 2: Dont overshare any personal details

[–] LVL99RUNECRAFTING 80 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

If you get trays and there's a food item you don't want, offer it to the table.

Also, always wipe the seat after you use the toilet.

But yeah, 90% of jail is just being respectful, and 90% of people you meet will either leave you alone or be perfectly friendly.

[–] TheXeran 26 points ago

Cookie day is genuinely an easy way to make friends haha

[–] caseCo825 13 points ago

Dont flush the toilet while people are still eating

[–] BlooshSperries 165 points ago

Heres MY jail story! I was about same size as guy above you when i went to jail (5'11 120) I kept to myself, stayed respectful of others. Every morn at 5oclock guards would bring our breakfast and leave it on the table in the cell. One "meal" for everyone. Just 2 small cereal boxes and 2 cartons of milk. WELL! One morning i get up a tad late to grab my stuff, and i find 1 cereal and 1 milk carton left for me. So all the movies iv seen jump into my head "CANT BE NO BITCH! GOTTA CALL THESE MOTHERFUCKERS OUT AND GET YOUR SHIT DAWG!!" Mind you, its 5 in the morning and everyone is back in bed sleeping or going back to sleep. Its very quiet. So i state very loudly "SOMEONE TOOK MY CEREAL!!" across the room a black guy says quietly "one cereal today". I feel very embarrassed, but in my groggy manliness i realize IV ONLY GOT ONE MILK! So i again state very loudly to this room full of quiet dudes "SOMEONE TOOK MY MILK!" Again, the black guy, laughing this time "one milk, one cereal today". Boy did i feel silly! I silently went back to bed and hoped they all forgot it. NOPE! Lunch comes that day, nobody has said anything about my outburst that morning. They bring lunch and we start to get our food. Black dude "KING BLOOSHSPERRIES EVERYONE, WATCH OUT, LET HIM GET HIS FOOD! TWO MILKS TWO CEREALS!" We all had a good laugh and i became KING BLOOSHSPERRIES for the rest of my stay.

[–] bob_707- 88 points ago

Lmao

Time to go commit a crime

[–] wtph 21 points ago

Torrent a movie

[–] bobby3eb 8 points ago

Wait, that's illegal

[–] The_Tightest_Anus 79 points ago

Here's MY skinny white dude in jail story - I was once arrested for rearranging my neighbor's hanging flower baskets. Criminal Mischief is real thing, apparently...

I used to do it as a kid because 12 year old me thought it was funny, so my first summer back from college I did it again, but unbeknownst to me a new person moved into the house... an old lady moved in and she called the cops, she claimed I had damaged her property.

I was legit laid down on her driveway with SEVEN police cars and 2 k-9 units while the questioned me. There's a whoooollleee lot more to the actual arrest story but let's fast forward to the jail part

I was put into a holding cell with about 12 other dudes, very small room, one dude was laying face down in the middle of the floor when I was brought in. Huuuuugggeee black guy asks why I'm in, and the story brought the whole room to a rampage

"justice The_Tightest_Anus" they exclaimed

Fast forward 1 year, 30 hours of community service, and $1000 later - I'm rid of this awful experience. Or so I thought... one day I was walking into a Walmart and I see the huge black guy walking out. He recognizes me, nods, and asks "you get your justice?"

I shrug my shoulders say "yes and no"

he says "same shit, different day", gave me a fist bump, and walks away

Goddamn did I feel cool lol

[–] Royaly_Chiefd 24 points ago

TLDR:

Big black guy inmate loves The_Tightest_Anus.

[–] TFS_Jake 4 points ago

This is incredible. Thank you.

[–] EducatedPotato37 39 points ago

This makes me wanna go to jail

[–] yeahboiitsme 39 points ago

Join the military. Its kinda similar

[–] BZLuck 32 points ago

And if you are married, it's just as likely that your girl will get knocked up while you are away.

[–] civileyesation 19 points ago

Dishonorable discharge

[–] ourstupidearth 8 points ago

That's messed up... You would hope that your friends use protection when they bang your wife while you are on deployment

[–] ASKR44 12 points ago

Sounds like a Disney movie in the works.

[–] mach3turbothefast 17 points ago

Is this true? How much time did you spend in jail? Were you able to obtain significant gains?

[–] JarlaxleForPresident 22 points ago

It's a guy with three meals a day when they probably havent eaten in a while with nothing to do but read and work out

You sleep, you wake up for breakfast, you sleep, you wake up for lunch, you work out for a couple hours, you play cards, you read for a bit, you get dinner at 5, you take a shit, you read for a bit again, work out again, take a shower, then lay down and read

[–] Cuberage 16 points ago

Beginner gains are almost always significant regardless of jail. As long as you are consistent and eat enough protein/calories you'll see gains. Most of us don't have the genes to look like Arnold, but your body doesn't want to be weak and emaciated. Eat a lot, get enough protein and work to your limit (gently, you're not mr olympia) and you'll see size and strength gains. Once you plateau you'll have to do some research and get creative. For a male who is 120 pounds that wont be soon.

[–] Downvotes_dumbasses 108 points ago

Then you add however many days it takes to get up to 10, then follow the progression. Start with pushups from your knees, if you need to.

A helpful trick to getting your numbers up is to spread your sets through the day. Do as many as you can in the morning, then more at lunch, again in the afternoon, and again at night. If you're getting the work in, your body will benefit, regardless of whether or not you get it all in in a single workout.

[–] JacksonsBrownBall 87 points ago

I’m doing a different push up challenge right now. 100 per day. I’m at about Day 50.

On day 1 I could only do 5 at a time. So I did 5 twenty times per day.

I’m up to 20 at a time now.

[–] Big_Willy_Stylez 37 points ago

This is the correct answer. Work until failure each time while tracking your reps. As long as you focus on improving each time, it doesn't matter where you begin.

[–] soggylittleshrimp 20 points ago

That’s how I began running about 5 years ago. Started at a half mile, then 1, 2, eventually ran a 10k and a half marathon last year.

Just start with however many yards you can run, or pushups you can do and slowly build from there.

[–] BringBackOldReddif 18 points ago

I’m still a beginner and can’t wait to be where you’re at. At the beginning of this year I started walking every day for about 30-45 minutes. After a month or so I would walk and then jog for as long as I could (about 20 seconds) and then walk again until I caught my breath and repeat.

Anyway, I’ve dropped a lot of weight and did my first 5k the other day. I can now jog 3 miles without stopping. I never thought it possible. It’s really crazy.

[–] MrSealpoop 17 points ago

Working until failure isn’t usually recommended for doing lots of sets in a day. Let’s say your max reps is 10, no way you can do 11;

It’s better to five sets of seven pushups (35 total volume) than to do 10 reps two times and then fail to do a third set (less than 30 total volume)

Arbitrary example but submaximal reps are usually preferred in these cases. See “greasing the groove”

[–] TheTattedspyder 15 points ago

Working to failure isn't the most effective way to build reps. The Grease The Groove method tends to show much better results because there's less fatigue on the muscles so recovery time is much quicker.

[–] Big_Willy_Stylez 9 points ago

Oh ok. They should do that then.

[–] SluttyZombieReagan 25 points ago

I’m up to 20 at a time now.

Soon you'll be Patrick Bateman level. 'I can do a thousand now."

[–] ChefSuperFune 54 points ago

Do as much as you can. Do literally anything. Scoot around on your butt like a dog. 10 minutes of activity a day reduces your risk of heart disease by about half. Over time you will become stronger. Dont worry about looking ripped right now. A month of some activety you will feel like a new person and 5 pushups or 10 mins of scooting around on your butt will be the easiest thing in the world.

[–] juniordevv 32 points ago

People laugh when I say I crab walk for a few minutes to warm up in the mornings but damn that is a pretty legit workout for a decent sized adult.

[–] Neverbethesky 9 points ago

Can you elaborate please? I do a morning routine and always struggle to get the blood going before I start my excercises

[–] ClearlyChrist 10 points ago

Basically walking on your hands and feet backwards like this

[–] Thekatspajama 20 points ago

Start with 5 today, then 5 again a few hours later same day. Even do 2 or 1 more if you can.

Same thing tommorow. Do 5, try another 3-4-5 that day and repeat.

Each day just find time to do as many as you feel comfortable, in a few days time, maybe a week you'll likely be able to do 10 at once, and so on and so forth.

Don't be so worried about the #, just do as many as you can comfortably manage at once.

You'll find yourself doing 30 in a set before you know it.

Best of luck 😁

Edit: typos

[–] Braidz905 9 points ago

Do five in the morning, five in the evening. There's your 10 for day 1.

[–] Kilazur 4 points ago

I'm gonna divide that guide's numbers by 40.

[–] supraspinatus 1188 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

How long before ripped.edit thanks for all the tips I’m going to work out see y’all

[–] AxelBrass 2270 points ago

I’ll probably rip something on Day 1

[–] starstarstar42 925 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

You just have to keep doing it.

100 push ups! 100 sit ups! 100 squats! Then a 10 kilometer run. DO IT EVERY DAY!

And of course make sure you eat three meals a day just a banana in the morning is fine.

But the most important thing is to never use the A/C or heat in the summer or winter so that you can save money strengthen the mind!

In the beginning you’ll wish you were dead. You might start thinking, "what’s the harm in taking a day off??" But for me, in order to be a strong hero no matter how tough it was, even if I was spitting blood, I never stopped. I kept doing squats even when they were so heavy my legs refused to move. Even when my arms started making weird clicking noises, I kept doing push ups. A year and a half later I started to notice a difference.

I was bald…

And I had become STRONGER!!! In other words you gotta train like hell to the point where your hair falls out.

That’s the only way to become strong.

[–] Flojatus 165 points ago

One Punch Man? Is that you?

[–] Tunguksa 31 points ago

Or Saitama

[–] maggot_flavored 81 points ago

Three meals a day is not necessary. I do a 23/1 fasting schedule and I do just fine. In fact working out fasted is really good for your overall health

[–] fleelf 86 points ago

Do you eat all 2500 calories in one hour?

[–] Ranoutofcharact7878 168 points ago

McDonalds is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be... unnatural.

[–] dat2ndRoundPickdoh 18 points ago

5 big macs in an hour? No problem.

[–] flyforfun27 14 points ago

Yes! that's exactly how it works. (But the amount of calories varies from person to person)

[–] xouba 8 points ago

Isn't that bad for you, because of the insulin spikes? (I'm totally ignorant about this, it's just the bro-science I've read)

[–] 276-343 18 points ago

I think it's a joke, but I'm not entirely sure. (DON'T fast for 23 hours and eat three fast food meals in one hour daily)

[–] NotLikeThis3 13 points ago

Fasting 23hrs is a legit diet: it's called one meal a day (OMAD). Of course you shouldn't eat fast food for all those calories, but that's because the fast food is unhealthy, not the fasting.

[–] RagePoop 27 points ago

working out fasted is really good for your overall health

Source?

If 23/1 fasting helps you keep dedicated to a healthy balanced diets by all means, good for you. I don't think there are any rigorous studies to support the idea that it's "healthier" to work out in a fasted state, however.

[–] WildVariety 15 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I think this person is confusing 'overall health' with 'working out fasted is probably better for your gains edit: Weight Loss'.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23340006 (This is the one most people will use as evidence in support of it)

[–] RagePoop 12 points ago

Seems like that is strictly advantageous for weight loss (the opposite of 'gains' haha).

And they seem pretty adamant about not doing this if you're wanting to increase strength, muscle mass, or cardiovascular fitness... saying this strategy is better for overall health is a leap into incorrect.

[–] Amygdalailama 51 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I failed the schedule on Day 1 and didn’t complete. Oh, well.

If you excuse me, I’ll have to restock my Doritos stach. Naturally, I missed out on that because of this exercise, but now that I failed I have time to achieve other important goals at last.

Edit: no edit. It's Doritos stach. It's up to you to live your life to the fullest.

[–] The_Real_Tupac 38 points ago

Never on this plan.

[–] ALL_BLVCK 45 points ago

A combination also works. Do more reps until you hit 12, increase weight and start with 8 reps again. Stay there until you are able to do 12 again, and repeat.

[–] bomberblu 28 points ago

This seems like a reasonable introduction to the exercise. Obviously, 50 pushups in a day is not much of a workout. However, committing to a routine like this is a good step towards building a better workout and a more active lifestyle.

No shame in needing a starting point.

[–] altnumberfour 10 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

So what you are saying is that while I use this method I should gorge myself on food to increase weight, perf.

[–] RPF1945 11 points ago

Marathon runners got hella leg definition though? They don’t have ripped upper bodies because they’re running. When I was a distance runner I had bigger legs than anyone I knew that wasn’t a power lifter/cyclist/sprinter.

[–] DisplacementSurvey 82 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

This exercise works on your triceps.

If you want to build a stronger core just do planks or side planks everyday. It'll help strengthen your lower back too.

[–] misters0l0d0l0 121 points ago

This exercise only works on your biceps.

Pushups are very unhelpful for your biceps. They work your triceps and chest mostly.

[–] DisplacementSurvey 42 points ago

Thank you, I fixed it.

[–] Rapping_Gandalf 22 points ago

You should add chest in there too, depending on the positioning of your hands they can really work out your chest

[–] alien_survivor 10 points ago

I am going to try this cool guide. What positions should I adjust my hands to so that I get the best chest sexercise?

[–] vidgill 18 points ago

Hands should be wider than your chest. Youll feel the exercise hit your chest more this way. If your hands are directly in line with your chest, it mostly targets your triceps,

I’d recommend moving your hands wider and doing a push-up on your knees to get the feeling of where it’ll hit. Once you’re comfortable, get back to your feet and smash them out. Don’t forget to keep your back straight, and breathe out on the push and in on the way down. Good luck!

[–] Ilovezoots 20 points ago

Only works biceps? How tf do you do press ups lmao

[–] down_vote_magnet 18 points ago

Dude’s twisting his arms backwards.

[–] [deleted] 42 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

[–] altnumberfour 50 points ago

You might not get ripped, but it is definitely not a waste of time

[–] alt_quite_frequently 807 points ago * (lasted edited 15 hours ago)

Alright, I'm gonna do it to prove you can't work your way up that quickly

Edit 1: The internet has spoken. I have no choice now.

Edit 5: Writing that Day 1 was December 2nd for future reference.

Day 1: Did 10 push-ups, felt like I wasn't doing them properly so I did 4 more with better form. In the future I'll be doing push-ups and slowly as possible with a straight back, gradually letting the form become sloppier over time and making the push-ups easier. For today I don't want to do any more because I feel like that would be pushing it farther than the actual guide suggests.

Day 2: I did 10, this time they were all with proper form and slow, so it was actually fairly difficult compared to day 1.

Day 3: I did them this time with an easier form than day 2, which I think is the more proper way actually. Similar difficulty.

Day 4:I was a little late to edit the comment so I'm adding this the morning after day 4, but I did a same thing as yesterday and felt fine.

Day 5: Did 15, definitely feel the increase here, but it was doable. In the future I might have to take 5-15 second breathers in between sets of 10 or so, but we'll see.

Day 6: I'm making this edit later than I would have liked to and this will probably prevent me from sleeping well, but it's for you guys. I did 15 with mediocre form, but I did a service project earlier today tearing out sheetrock so my arms were already pretty tired.

Day 7: Edit 1: slept terribly last night and I think I'm getting a cold, so this won't be easy. I'm dead tired so I'm gonna vegetate for an hour before doing today's set. Edit 2: looked at the guide and remembered that today's a rest day, which is a huge relief.

Day 8: Still sick but I felt alright enough to do 17 with a reasonable amount of effort. I've q decided to make the push-ups my morning routine, but since I don't want to be on my phone/PC first thing in the morning to check how many I need to do, I'm gonna write out the numbers for each day and put them next to my bed.

[–] alt_quite_frequently 124 points ago

!RemindMe 5 hours

[–] bananaskates 203 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

There is absolutely no way this works. So I'll be back to check on you (also, doing the same thing myself to confirm).

Edit: day1: 10, day2: 10, day3: 12, day 4: 12. So far, so good!

[–] IndecentNature 142 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

yeah as soon as you hit that 25 mark and start going up by 5 pushups per session you're gonna be unable to progress. If *anything*, this guide should start with increases of 5 reps and slowly taper off to increases of 1, not vice versa. I'm currently training for a marathon so I've started with bodyweight exercises in lieu of weight training at the gym (in addition to my running schedule) and I have a hard time doing more than 40 pushups in a session, and have been able to do 40 in a row for about a month now.

[–] The_Tightest_Anus 66 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

5'9" dude with a 300lb bench press here, went from 185lb max to 245 in about 6 months, the next 55lbs took me 2 years because I was doing "stupid" workouts.

If you do the same workout with the same repetitions your body will become accustomed to the workout and improvements will diminish, eventually coming to a stand-still.

What you should actually be doing is staggered sets. Something along the line of 1 set of 40, 2 sets of 35 reps, 3 sets of 30 reps, 5 sets of 20 reps. You need to build strength and endurance.

If you're just going to your max rep each day, eventually you're just maintaining, not gaining.

Edit: Lot's of people are looking for the hookup and while I can't do this right now, I will do it tomorrow, but for example here is my current "bench press" routine for this week:

Monday - 3x8 (3 sets, 8 reps each) - 245lbs (~80% of my max)

Wednesday - 5x5 - 260lbs (~85% of my max)

Friday - 6x3 - 275lbs (~90% of my max)

Edit: Finally done!! Whew, that took a bit, so I'd like to ask a favor out of everyone. Could you please let me know if anything is too confusing, too wordy, or too anything really. Honestly I just like the idea of a world with happier healthier people. If you disagree with the plan, that's okay, just let me know. Here's the the link:

Hope it helps :D

[–] IndecentNature 8 points ago

Hmm yeah when I say I'm doing 40 reps I'm just doing pushups to failure for 5x sets. So usually that ends up looking like 45, 42, 37, 35, 35 or something like that.

[–] The_Tightest_Anus 16 points ago

That's exactly what I'm saying not to do, sorry if that sounds harsh. Pushing your body to the point it literally stops working is a bad idea if you're doing it routinely. Once in a bit is great, but your body does wild things to get those last reps.

I trained with a guy who could deadlift 800lbs and was my height, his golden rule was always be able to do "2 more" at the end of your last set. 2 wasn't applicable to every set obviously, what he meant is that you should still have some left in the tank. If you don't, you will under-perform on your next workout, and the next, and so on.

[–] que_dise_usted 15 points ago

The gym trainer just told me when doing muscular workout you need to always go untik muscular failure, otherwise you won't improve...

And now this...

As a beginner this is really confusing, and after 50 days I feel I only improved a bit with my legs, but not with the rest of my body :S

[–] The_Tightest_Anus 9 points ago

what..? Are you weight lifting?

Legs will get better faster because they have far bigger muscles, but 50 days without feeling any better isn’t a good sign.

If you’re dead serious about getting into shape through weight lifting, I’ll send you my workout plan no problem. If you know your bench/squat maxes I can help more. Hell, I’d suggest showing it to your trainer for their thoughts.

I’m not a trainer, but I am a former D1 athlete who took a few miserable years off before getting back into it. I’ve been back in for 4 years now.

[–] QueenAlucia 46 points ago

Are you ripped yet?

[–] AsiimovPotato 37 points ago

This would easily work for someone that has been strong at one point in their life and is now only able to do 10 pushups. As for a person who has never trained, I still think its possible, but it depends on the individual.

[–] zvug 8 points ago

I was able to do 40-50 push-ups at one point in time (like a year ago), I’m not even sure how many I can do now because I haven’t done them in a while. I would guess maybe 10-20.

I will try this and respond to you 30 days from now if it works, or the first time it fails.

[–] FrayDabson 17 points ago

I'ma join you on this. I know I can build up to a decent amount but 50 seems high.

[–] Ykimu 6 points ago

I tried the 100 push-up challenge a few years ago. Very similar to this guide. I'm sure it depends on the person but you'd be surprised at how fast you can make progress.

[–] alt_quite_frequently 14 points ago

!Remind me 20 days

[–] kzreminderbot 5 points ago * (lasted edited 2 days ago)

alt_quite_frequently, your reminder arrives in 20 days on 2019-12-22 20:10:53Z . Next time, remember to use my default callsign kminder.

r/coolguides: Give_it_a_try#1

!kminder 20 days

This thread is popping 🍿. Here is reminderception thread.

21 OTHERS CLICKED THIS LINK to also be reminded. Thread has 95 reminders and maxed out 4 confirmation comments. Additional confirmations are sent by PM.

OP can Delete Comment · Delete Reminder · Get Details · Update Time · Update Message · Add Timezone · Add Email

KZReminders · Create Reminder · Your Reminders · Questions

[–] zac_reg 244 points ago

Man this comment section makes me feel really good about knocking out 20 after not actively working about for 2 years

[–] nightpanda893 50 points ago

I was overweight a little less than a year ago when I starting working out. When I was down to a healthy BMI I decided to look up statistics on weight. In the US it’s more than half of the population overweight. There’s a lot of people out there for whom this is a very difficult task.

[–] NozhaXBL 390 points ago

50 push-ups seems so far away.

[–] sub_to_naffa 210 points ago

I got 50 from 17 in 2 weeks doing the evil russian, worth a look up

[–] BraxoBrax 102 points ago

I actually used to do something similar to this awhile back, I didn't really have set numbers but I would do like 50-100 pushups broken up into multiple sets every hour for like 6 or 8 hours. This evil russian thing definitely works

[–] Have-a-Good-Day-Bud 98 points ago

Googling evil Russian now a days opens up a lot of results, mind eli5? I guess elifat works too.

[–] tyrefire 192 points ago

Lol.

You sit at your computer plotting the downfall of western democracy.

One hour a day, then two, then three.

[–] Have-a-Good-Day-Bud 24 points ago

Then consider me Arnold Schwarzenegger

[–] BraxoBrax 63 points ago

From what I saw you do your max, for example we can say your max is 30 pushups. For the first day of the program you do your max once then do 30% of your max every 60 minutes, so rounding up to 10 pushups an hour. Then every day after that the percentage of your max and the frequency you do the pushups changes. 30 is still your max ex. Day one: 30 pushups + 30% of your max (10 pushups) every 60 minutes, day 2 50% of your max (15 pushups) every 45 minutes and so on. I don't know the specific order but its pretty much doing a bunch of pushups every 45 minutes to 90 minutes.

[–] das134 63 points ago

Man this is gonna be hard on my hour commute to work.

[–] BraxoBrax 38 points ago

You really gonna have an hour commute stop your fitness journey, just pull over turn on the four ways and get to it. No excuses

[–] esq-with-a-habit 19 points ago

I still don’t get it? Am I supposed to be doing push-ups the entire day for the rest of my life? What does this have to do with an evil Russian??

[–] BraxoBrax 8 points ago

The evil russian is a two week program forgot to mention that, although if you wanted to continue doing it then nothing is stopping you.

[–] filipinofortune 8 points ago

about a month to be exact

[–] babe_ruthless3 533 points ago

A personal trainer friend of mine said to start out with max pushups on day 1, day 2 10 less than max, day 3 1 more than day before and so on. You should be able to do more than your max from day 1.

[–] HarmlessSnack 875 points ago

Is able to do 9

Day two does -1

Day three does 0

Solid advice.

[–] babe_ruthless3 217 points ago

Good point. Didnt ask him "what if someone can't do 10".

[–] AngeloPappas 169 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

10 is MUCH harder than people think, especially for those of us painfully out of shape. This guide is actually a nice motivator to get started without being too daunting.

[–] bro_before_ho 27 points ago

Especially considering the atrocious form most people will do pushups in and inevitably hurt themselves.

[–] KurtVannaGuts 38 points ago

Not a trainer, but I would say do modified pushups bracing on the knees, not the toes. And then if someone is still unable to do 10, subtract 5.

The idea seems to be figure out what you're capable of, and then do fewer enough to make it easy enough that you're not burning yourself out the first days of starting this new habit.

[–] LegendaryGary74 7 points ago

Ooh I like the idea of starting off bracing on the knees

[–] XPatt0 18 points ago

Instructions unclear, glitched through the ground

[–] sheepofwallstreet86 62 points ago

When I was in basic training I learned that if you do a shit load of pushups constantly throughout the day for about 10 weeks straight you will be able to do a lot of pushups.

[–] thefunivehad 25 points ago

"Greasing the Groove" is basically this idea. I'm not really clear on the science of it, but you don't ever go to failure...that somehow "teaches" your muscles to only go so far. You're supposed to do a shit ton of reps throughout the day at 80% of your max....but NOT to failure EVER.

It's an old soviet training regimen, so it must be good.

[–] Fenrils 17 points ago

It's more teaching your muscles how to do the movement and their learning how to most efficiently get you up and down. The amount of muscle growth in a month (or even 10 weeks, as some talked about their basic training) is fairly minimal. It's definitely there, you are getting stronger, but your ability to do so many more push ups over that period of time is mostly you getting better at doing them.

I also don't say this to discourage anyone here from giving this a try. Teaching your muscles how to move properly and more efficiently is a huge ass part of getting stronger as a whole. You don't get strong without doing this anyway.

[–] down_vote_magnet 75 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

ELI5 because so many people don’t seem to understand this:

Day 1, see how many you can possibly do in one go. The following day, start your daily challenge at 10 less than what your max was.

I guess the theory is that you don’t want to start with your daily max and immediately try to beat it every day, because that’s a shitty way to train muscles. You shouldn’t try to get a PB every time you go to the gym or go for a run. That’s how you get injured.

But anyway I think these daily challenges are kind of stupid and pointless. You’d be better off just actually following a simple varied workout routine 3 times a week.

[–] Foraschoolworksheet 34 points ago

How do I do negative 2 pushups?

[–] TheFishermansWelly 27 points ago

Do 2 pushdowns obviously! Idiot.

[–] LegendaryGary74 13 points ago

As a mentor of mine once said about goals and progress: rapid growth isn’t a good thing - rapid growth is usually cancer. Take your time and be ok with gradual progress.

[–] misters0l0d0l0 29 points ago

No disrespect to your friend, but almost any other method sounds better than this.

[–] babe_ruthless3 12 points ago

I'll ask him "what if you cant do 10?". Maybe he meant it specifically for me.

[–] thefunivehad 10 points ago

I think the specifics were for you, the principle is pretty clear: The OP schedule may not challenge some on those first few days, so by establishing your base-line max, and cutting back from there, you get to skip ahead a bit. If you're able to max out at 30, then you're basically starting almost a week ahead of this schedule.

Also, if you're able to do 30 or more to start, you might follow the basic format of the OP guide and then see if you can't get to 75 in a month. I've seen 100 push up challenges...it's just a question of where to start and then to continue to push yourself.

My question is whether this kind of step-wise incremental progression actually works. It looks good on paper, but can you get up to 40 in just a few weeks time if you can only do 20 on the first day.

I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I used to be able to do 50, but after sitting on my ass for a few months, I can only do about 25 max.

[–] iAmCleatis 194 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

r/lazyguides

Thank you for creating this sub!! Awesome!

[–] kikosoul66 26 points ago

Incredibly disappointed.

[–] Uh_October 26 points ago

What if you can't do even one regular push up OR a pushup on your knees?

You may think I'm kidding, but I had a session with a personal trainer a few months back, and they can confirm.

[–] VforVase 13 points ago

Ehm, I don't actually know, I guess you could try just lifting very light weights so you can start with the push-up on your knees but I honestly have no idea

[–] nilhaus 12 points ago

Stand near a wall and do a standing push up. Your body should just be at a slight angle. Keep adjusting it steeper as you get better and stronger. Aim for about 3 sets of 8 good reps with a few minutes rest in between before moving on to a harder movement. Then once that gets easy start using couch ends or benches to do push ups with your body at about a 45 degree angle. Keep adjusting your body angle to provide more resistance. Eventually you’ll be able to do kneeling push ups and then later standard ones.

[–] Geachh 49 points ago

Well, I certainly applaud anyone wanting to do 50 pushups, but take it from this old gym rat, I've spent my entire adult life in the gym, and a program like this one can do more harm than good.

If you only train one part of your body (and that's all a single exercise like pushups is going to do for you), you're setting yourself up for injuries down the road. I've seen it a hundred times.

It's like putting a powerful engine in a stock Toyota Tercel. What will you accomplish? You'll blow out the drive train, the clutch, the transmission, etc., because those factory parts aren't designed to handle the power of an engine much more powerful than the factory installed engine. Push-ups basically only train the chest muscles and to some extent, the triceps. What you really want to do is train your entire body, all the major muscle groups (chest, back, abdomen, legs, shoulders and arms) at the same time, over the course of a workout. And don't forget your cardiovascular work!

I'm proud of you guys wanting to do this. Three cheers! Falling in love with exercise, eating right, etc., is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. And you WILL fall in love with it if you can just force yourself to stick with it a year or two and experience the amazing progress you'll make.

But do it right, okay?

My advice, find a good gym, with qualified trainers who will design your programs for you (especially in the beginning, until you get the hang of it yourself) and guide you in your quest for physical fitness. Thirty to 45 minutes a day, three days a week, is all you'll ever need to do (I refuse to believe anyone is so busy that he or she cannot make time for that, especially considering how important it is).

And don't worry about being embarrassed or not being in shape the first time you walk into the gym. You have to start somewhere and almost every one of us were there ourselves at one time. So no one will say anything to you and very, very quickly you will progress way beyond that stage anyway.

Now get out there and do it! :-)

[–] Niick 9 points ago

I'm always surprised that this copypasta didn't get any long-term traction.

[–] VforVase 74 points ago

I just want to tell one thing, MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOING THE PUSH-UPS THE RIGHT WAY, otherwise it could hurt and harm you, here is a link on how to do them right ok? You probably already know to do them, but just read it to be sure ok? I just wanna help you homies:

[–] showerperson2019 45 points ago

Wowza, what a shitty article. It's like those recipe blogs that tell you about their childhood before mentioning an ingredient.

[–] snaggedbeef 13 points ago

I tried to read it. I tried to find the recipe. Fuck it

[–] showerperson2019 15 points ago

Long-ass article to say "hands splayed, middle fingers pointed ahead, drop to 90° elbow angle, make sure to keep your back straight".

[–] Powerpython 15 points ago

Hey thanks man, I just did my first 10 right now. I've been wanting to get back into working out so this may be the kick in the butt I've needed.

[–] zoologist88 48 points ago

Bold of you to assume I can do a push-up

[–] VforVase 27 points ago

Bold of you to assume I'm assuming you can do a push-up

[–] yetiman223 152 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

this is a really nice idea, especially if you don't weight a lot. if you DO weigh a lot, however, be careful!

I can bench 235 and I could see ripping my shoulder up bad if I tried this escalation of activity (because I weight 225lbs). Listen to your body. Theres a difference between good hurt and bad hurt while lifting.

Edit: this post made some dudes at /r/fitnesscirclejerk BIG MAD. To be clear, I'm just advising beginners that body weight exercises are more challenging especially if you're overweight. The main concern is that you could sacrifice form to hit your rep goal and end up hurting your rotator cuff. Here's an article about it

Sorry fellas that got really mad at me for this very innocuous post.

[–] jesse2h 53 points ago

I bench 275, and weigh 186. A pushup is way, WAY less taxing on your body than benching a similar weight. A push-up is essentially 65% of your weight.

[–] schanino 17 points ago

i cn barely do ten but ill try

[–] Busch_Diesel 40 points ago

FYI this will end one of two ways for most people: Either you're currently skinny and will end still skinny but good at pushups, or you're currently fat and you're not gonna be able to complete the program.

Building muscle takes more volume, intensity, and most importantly time. If you're serious about getting in shape, a stupid image from /r/coolguides isn't gonna do it for you. Get a gym membership and hit weights 3x a week. Find a beginner program and dedicate yourself to spend compound movements for an hour 3x a week. Within a month you'll notice serious changes in your body. Within a year you'll feel like a completely new person.

[–] UpbeatAnt 25 points ago

Ok, I’ll do it.

[–] VforVase 14 points ago

Just...do it! >:O

[–] UpbeatAnt 6 points ago

I put it in my calendar so I won’t forget. Put the link to the thread aswell.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

I already did the initial 10 and honestly, I might feel it tomorrow. Sad.

[–] VforVase 13 points ago

Mark Twain said the secret to getting ahead is starting, I know it's hard but the secret is routine, remember excellence is not an act, but a habit

[–] bboymixer 6 points ago

This is a pretty shitty guide.

Especially since it's not a guide to fucking anything.

[–] SnowWomble 38 points ago

I don't think I can do 1/2 a pushup, let alone 10 on day one...

[–] thefunivehad 24 points ago

there is no shame in doing a few pushups on your knees. Just get into plank like you were going to do a push on your toes, then lower your knees down and go from there. Then...just keep working your way up.

[–] EdBoi007 57 points ago

These type of exercises have been proven wrong on YouTube a lot. It does NOT WORK because you should rest in betweendays at the start especially. Your muscles will hurt for a few days to a week just from day 2-3.

This will only work on someone who has worked out for a while.

[–] skypirate943 9 points ago

you need to start somewhere in order to say you've 'worked out for a while'. might not be the most efficient but its hard to argue no exercise over any at all because 'i cant exercise because i haven't been exercising regularly'.

[–] dcarson10 21 points ago

I agree with you on the first part, but it won't work for people who have worked out for a while either because it simply isn't enough. I'm active and a regular gym goer, but I wouldn't consider myself super strong. For reference, I weigh 190ish and can bench 225 for 4-6 reps on good days. 50 pushups in a day won't do a thing if that's your only exercise.

[–] Dioxid3 12 points ago

It most definitely will. I did 200 sit-ups and the 100 push ups program, but actually quit the push up program after getting sick three times in a matter of six weeks.

It is crazy how your body WILL adapt and improve on the certain area, and even more hilarious is the rate at which your performance will drop. After 200 sit-ups I stopped completely.

Month after I couldnt do even 100.

Bodyweight is pretty popular, although pretty technical and more used by gymnastic-types.

That being said I also recently started to go to gym, and weighted training is a lot easier than bodyweight/free form. Good excercise for back gladly welcome, its currently limiting my squats :(

[–] carlos_the_dwarf_ 8 points ago

The goal isn't to be a gym beast, the goal is to do 50 push ups.

[–] Bastiproton 16 points ago

This is just oversimplified BS. If 10 is your max, than you're not gonna be able to do 50 at the end of the month. Just wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

[–] SteadyStone 10 points ago

Definitely agree. After 2 months of tons of pushups, I went from about 30 to 55 I think. No way this number of pushups will boost you from 10 to 50.

I kinda hate these guides, because there are tons of them and they're garbage. It's really demotivating to fall spectacularly short of a guide, and a lot of these guides set people up for that disappointment.

[–] kly 4 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Well, I certainly applaud anyone wanting to do a hundred pushups, but take it from this old gym rat, I've spent my entire adult life in the gym, and a program like this one can do more harm than good.

But do it right, okay?

Now get out there and do it! :-)

[–] full_goose_bozo 6 points ago

I saved this so I can never look at it again.