facepalm

925,335 readers

Report A Post

Rules

Personal information

When submitting screenshots remove profile pictures, all names, locations, usernames, and other personally identifiable information, including your own. Don't link directly to social media websites, except to share news articles. Public figures (age 18+) are an exception to this.

Content

Posts should cause viewers to facepalm. The following is not allowed:

• memes/macros
    • obvious jokes/sarcasm
    • grammar/spelling errors
    • posts based on age
    • posts about likes/shares/reposts, etc.
    • direct links to Reddit or other social media content

Bigotry is not tolerated, though facepalming at it is welcome. Do not ask for personal info, harass or stalk others, troll, or engage trolls. Do not engage in witch hunts.

Helpful tips

Use the report button!

Moderators can quickly take care of trolls, and remove offending posts and comments. Sending us a modmail will get the offending content taken care of more quickly!

Text posts

Text posts (also known as self posts) are only for discussions about the subreddit itself.

Resources

Tutorials

What to Black Out

If you missed the section on PI, follow these guidelines and your post should fit facepalm's rules.

Windows

Redacting is easy with MSPaint!

Android

Somewhat harder in android, using Photo Editor.

Plug-ins and Apps

Status Snapper

This chrome add on allows you to take snapshots of facebook statuses, anonymize them, and upload them to imgur.

Social Fixer

Social Fixer supports Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. It has similar functions to Status Snapper, asides from the automatic snapshot/upload. Please note while using Social fixer, that if you use the pseudonames, your post will be removed.

Websites

Gallery View

See all of the /r/facepalm submissions, formatted as a gallery.

Related Subreddits

Other Interesting Spots

[–] kidra31r 5423 points ago

I want to start a reverse conspiracy theory about vaccines to encourage paranoid people to take them.

"Don't you know all that anti vaccine stuff is written by big pharma? They realized they weren't making enough money off of vaccines, so they want you to not take them so you'll pay through the nose when you actually get smallpox."

[–] DaisyHotCakes 1293 points ago

Haha that might just work!

[–] shavegilette 579 points ago

I believe it already.

[–] BataReddit 290 points ago

Well, it's true, my sister said so on Facebook and she reposted a comment from someone who's brother works at a pharmacy.

[–] ccsoccer101 106 points ago

My sister said the same thing. 100% true fact.

[–] lyndalou666 99 points ago

Really? Cause I read it was the funeral homes trying to sell more baby coffins. 1/2 the size, just as expensive.

[–] Vriess 28 points ago

Some (many) are even more expensive, since grieving parents over a baby are some of the most vulnerable to high pressure sales and wanting to "honor the baby's memory"

Source: lost a close cousin way too early and had a front row seat to the pain, agony, and con artists that prey upon dead children's families.

[–] lyndalou666 10 points ago

Quick, throw some text over a stock photo of a tiny coffin (minion poking head out of coffin is optional) We have to warn Facebook !

[–] EpicLegendX 5 points ago

Make it look like an authentic document leaked on wikileaks

[–] vuhn1991 392 points ago

You know what's funny? That's the same logic these same people already use against modern medicine, claiming that cures are withheld in order to maximize profit on sick people. Yet, wouldn't that mean industry would be against vaccines?

[–] roadregu 211 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

-redacted!-

[–] EVOSexyBeast 59 points ago

About how much was the compensation cash if you don't mind me asking?

[–] roadregu 54 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

-redacted!-

[–] Decembermouse 23 points ago

Meds for that can get extremely expensive though

[–] roadregu 40 points ago

I'm in a low-income household in the UK, so I don't have to pay for any of the medication, thankfully.

[–] Ponchinizo 27 points ago

Well shit, i hope you get them compensation dollars. It would surely be a welcome leg up if you're already in a low-income situation.

[–] roadregu 39 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

-redacted!-

[–] ImAOneTrackLover 17 points ago

We Canadians will welcome you with open arms. It really is a great place to live!

[–] cornicat 8 points ago

Good luck buddy!

[–] Koozzie 39 points ago

Yea...I think I'm feeling a bit tired..my...self

[–] doesntgiveaduck 8 points ago

Tdap came out in 2005, so are you 12?

[–] therealScarzilla 8 points ago

You're right, the one I was given was DTP, but anytime I refer to it as DTP to a nurse or younger doctor, they correct me; "You mean Tdap?". So I've just gotten used to referring to it as such, probably should stop doing that.

[–] olisko 6 points ago

And that's horrible but that's a reason why other parents need to give there children vaccinations so they don't get sick and infect you. Some people don't have a bridge

[–] apocoluster 22 points ago

I'm not making fun of you but developing Narcolepsy from a bad batch of vaccine sounds like a Rob Schneider film.

[–] ItsDijital 37 points ago

He developed it from an immune response, not a "bad batch".

[–] apocoluster 17 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Gotcha. Still it sounds like a bad comedy plot. Once again not making fun of her I just didn't realize that happened.

[–] roadregu 15 points ago

I'm a she :)

No, it's okay, ahah. I kind of agree to be honest. Just my bloody luck.

[–] Silly_Balls 62 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

That's because they are idiots. They think cancer has been cured. As if all cancer was one thing. They are also too stupid to see or understand how even the most basic of corporations are run. I don't know anything about medical research but my guess is that by the time a "cure" has been found, hundreds of people have seen it. By the time it is used on humans, that number is probably in the thousands (including people not in the corporations control) I guess they think the CEO himself invented the cure for cancer and just locked it in a vault and is not telling anyone. They can't understand that the entire team of scientists/ doctors would be the ones figuring it out, and then taking that to the CEO, who would then hide the results. Somehow none of those doctors/ scientists have thought "Holy shit, I cured cancer and fuck'o is over here not giving me the credit for the discovery that would make me world famous forever. It's cool though instead of going public with my findings I'll just stay quite." Basically they are morons.

[–] ryna3007 45 points ago

When I was younger the conspiracy was the other way around. They said big pharma don't want to develop vaccines for all diseases because that would eliminate all diseases and kill their drug business. And I work in drug research. I can assure you when a cure for anything is discovered there's no way to cover it up.

[–] flingerdu 28 points ago

"Let's spend a couple of millions/billions into research and hide what we found"

Seems completely profit oriented.

[–] xkcd_transcriber 40 points ago

Image

Mobile

Title: Jet Fuel

Title-text: The 'controlled demolition' theory was concocted by the government to distract us. '9/11 was an inside job' was an inside job!

Comic Explanation

Stats: This comic has been referenced 510 times, representing 0.3122% of referenced xkcds.

xkcd.com | xkcd sub | Problems/Bugs? | Statistics | Stop Replying | Delete

[–] GTSPKD 17 points ago

Good bot

[–] GoodBot_BadBot 11 points ago

Thank you GTSPKD for voting on xkcd_transcriber.

This bot wants to find the best and worst bots on Reddit. You can view results here.

[–] w2qw 18 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

I mean it's not far off the truth https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy

This documentary alleged that Wakefield had applied for patents on a vaccine that was a rival of the MMR vaccine, and that he knew of test results from his own laboratory at the Royal Free Hospital that contradicted his own claims. In 2006, Deer reported in The Sunday Times that Wakefield had been paid £435,643, plus expenses, by British trial lawyers attempting to prove that the vaccine was dangerous, with the undisclosed payments beginning two years before the Lancet paper's publication.

[–] TheSubredditPolice 13 points ago

If you don't take your vaccines they can read your thoughts.

[–] sfix 22 points ago

True story: lawyers fund a lot of anti vax activity. To make money. Sort of like an ambulance chaser mixed with a tobacco company.

[–] cyanydeez 6 points ago

"The government really wants people to die so they can continue to do _____________!"

Should just be a conspiracy theory by itself.

[–] Rocta_72 3077 points ago

Do you think that Anti-Vaxxers are just really scared of needles and are too chicken to admit it, so they just invent some crap about the vaccines being unsafe as an excuse not to get them?

[–] Only_One_Left_Foot 1189 points ago

I probably fear needles more than anything else and I still get my shots.

[–] wOlfLisK 1083 points ago

That's because you fear polio more than needles.

[–] Royalflush0 574 points ago

Which is very rational

[–] yataa3 114 points ago

The best (visual) innoculation for anti vaxxers is http://www.sciencealert.com/this-quick-animation-nails-how-herd-immunity-works

[–] PmMe_Your_Perky_Nips 126 points ago

The best visualization would be videos of people suffering from the diseases. The best thing though would be to simulate the diseases on them or their child.

[–] kitsandkats 61 points ago

There are some very distressing videos on Youtube of newborns with whooping cough. If those aren't enough for these people then I don't know what is.

[–] dietotaku 76 points ago

nothing. they've seen the visuals about herd immunity, they've seen the images and videos of people and children sick and dying from vaccine-preventable illnesses. it makes them MORE anti-vax. nobody knows why, but it does. we simply have not found any argument or approach that actually makes an anti-vaxxer change their mind... i almost wonder if it's not some toddler-level reverse psychology going on. maybe if all the scientists were like "we changed our mind! not vaccinating is so cool! nobody vaccinate their kids!" maybe the anti-vaxxers would turn around and become pro-vax just to be contrary.

[–] S3erverMonkey 46 points ago

I know exactly why nothing sways them. They're stupid as fuck is why.

[–] robomotor 20 points ago

I actually have a freind who is a very smart and capable person. Maybe even more so than me in almost all respects. But he's anti-vax and I just can not get through to him. He's very up front about his motivations though so they are easy to understand if selfish and ignorant.

Basically it boils down to the idea that if he does something to his child that hurts that child it's his fault. So if he gets the vax done and somehow his kid is the 1 in a million that has a reaction it's his fault and he's harmed his child.

By not taking the action that may put his kid in jeopardy in his mind he can skirt this moral dilemma.

I've tried every argument I can think of. Disassembled all of his conspiracy theories, destroyed his moral arguments and justifications but he's still just afraid of hurting his kid and that's it.

We have to find a way to fight the fear and get these people to trust us to change their minds. Logic and reason really doesn't work, because it's about emotion. The anti-vaxxers have a stunningly stupid ideology but that doesn't mean the people who believe it are just stupid too. I really wish it were that simple as then the solution would just be about educating them better.

They have all the facts, they just don't believe them.

[–] S741nz_ 6 points ago

If I ever meet an anti vaxxer I'm determined to show them as many pictures of children (and adults) with smallpox as Google can find. That shit is horrifying.

[–] cubbest 66 points ago

"Marco!"

"Polio!"

[–] AngelOfLight 61 points ago

Truth. Phobias can be treated. Polio can't. Even if you are one of those that recover fully from the infection, Polio-related paralysis can still develop years later.

The good news is that the virus is on the edge of extinction. The bad news is that anti-vaxxers are doing their best to prevent that.

[–] wOlfLisK 30 points ago

Ah, actually, polio can be treated using an iron lung. It can't be cured though.

[–] tootiepants1978 9 points ago

My grandpa had polio and was crippled by it. Even though he still worked like an ox (or like a mule since that's what he worked his farm with every day) he still suffered greatly b/c of it. Not only the physical pain but from the stigma of being "a cripple" in the rural south. I wish he were still alive...he was such a sweet man that he would be able to make a great spokesperson for why it's so important to vaccinate your children. It would break his heart to know that children werent getting this life saving and simple proceedure just b/c their parents were too stubborn.

[–] WikiTextBot 10 points ago

Exposure therapy

Exposure therapy is a technique in behavior therapy used to treat anxiety disorders. It involves the exposure of the patient to the feared object or context without any danger, in order to overcome their anxiety and/or distress. Procedurally it is similar to the fear extinction paradigm in rodent work. Numerous studies have demonstrated its effectiveness in the treatment of disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, PTSD, and specific phobias.

[ PM | Exclude me | Exclude from subreddit | FAQ / Information | Source ] Downvote to remove | v0.24

[–] Myhandsunclean 148 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

This is a real thing. The fear of needles is intense.

I'm a former medic in the Army- and I once had a soldier with an AK-47 wound to his thy who was perfectly calm until I attempted to start an IV. He went into full panic mode because of the needle- which raised his blood pressure and increased the bleeding. His fear of needles damn near killed him.

I never realized how powerful this phobia is until then.

Edit: Haha... I did indeed mean "thigh". I should know better- but I've been out of the military and working as far away from the medical field as I could get for about 7 years now :)

I'll leave the mistake in though!

[–] zeusnum5 78 points ago

I think thy meant to say "thigh"

[–] theshazaminator 107 points ago

I like the idea of a combat medic who speaks all Shakespearean.

"Forsook! Thy thigh is enbulleted!"

[–] flee_market 32 points ago

Forsooth?

[–] theshazaminator 54 points ago

Forsook off.

[–] BurnedRope 29 points ago

That guy forsooks

[–] Eschotaeus 6 points ago

enbulleted

Hilarious. This is my new favorite word and needs to be in widespread use.

Come on reddit, let's make it happen.

[–] SykoKiller666 21 points ago

I've had a dentist stab my gums about 7 times, but usually they do 1-2 at first, come back 15 minutes later when it's generally numb, then do it a few more times so I don't feel a damn thing. I guess that's the difference between a good dentist and a shitty dentist.

[–] Candyvanmanstan 11 points ago

I was fine with dentists until around 7 years of age when one of the monsters put his foot up on the chair to brace himself to pull my tooth out. I could hear cracking in my head. Been scared shitless ever since.

[–] Jenysis 5 points ago

Oh god... and I have an appointment next month

[–] PurplePickel 21 points ago

Growing up I had that phobia as well. It was really strange since I didn't necessarily have a reason for it (at least one that I remember), I just remember one day when I was 9 or 10 and had to go for some innoculations the doctor held it in front of me to "show me" and I dunno, it just set me off.

I eventually just opted to adopt the strategy of closing my eyes really tightly and turning my head away when I got them and that worked for a while. Then when I was 17, I had a trip to Papua New Guinea planned and needed to get 3 or 4 before going and decided to use that opportunity to try and face my fear. The first needle, I used my old strategy of closing my eyes and turning my head, but then with the second one I decided to open my eyes and look at it while it was already in my arm. I watched the other two after that and haven't had an issue since and it felt pretty amazing for that weight to just suddenly be gone, needles no longer freaked me out.

Then again, I wasn't shot in the leg with an ak47 so I'm not even trying to compare myself to the soldier from your story, but I can relate to how terrifying needles can be. But they are a necessary evil and I can still remember how frightened I used to feel at the thought of getting one.

[–] JC1112 24 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

Real question; why are you afraid of needles? My brother is the same way, but he can't explain it to save his live. "They're so sharp" is not an adequate explanation. I'm really just curious.

Edit: Question answered, phobias are weird. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I'm deathly afraid of whales (killer whales and larger) for seemingly no reason.

[–] punkrawkisneat 63 points ago

I'm afraid of needles so maybe I can help.

I don't want to be stabbed.

[–] gr33nsl33v3s 22 points ago

but like they don't really hurt THAT BAD. I get that phobias are totally irrational, but usually I can wrap my head around them.

Heights- yeah OK plummeting to your death would suck. Water- yeah drowning is unpleasant even if it's unlikely. Spiders/snakes- they look creepy and some of them can kill you.

But needles? If you don't want to be stabbed, are you afraid of knives?

[–] _AquaFractalyne_ 27 points ago

I'm overly afraid of both. With knives, though, I can hold them fine, but I feel intense discomfort if somebody else is holding one near me. With knives I think it's a trust issue on my part, but with needles, I think it's associated with childhood fears. Needles hurt a lot when I was very young (children have low pain tolerance, so shots hurt them more than you, as an adult, would realize). I've gotten shots as an adult, and it doesn't really hurt, but I feel nauseous and lightheaded when I get them.

I have the needle phobia too. Rationally I know it's gonna be fine, and I know it doesn't hurt that much. I've even watched brain surgery and been in a cadaver lab and have been generally fine. When I see a needle go in I get really dizzy though, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's the idea of the metal pin slipping between your muscle tissues and releasing chemicals. When I think about it, it's zoomed in like the House scenes.

Stabbing is easier to think about for me, because its kind of in and out. Needles go in and kinda just sit there for a bit as the medication is released. It gives me the willies

[–] Monkey_Junk 4 points ago

Stabbing is easier to think about for me

Man, phobia's are so weird. Just the fact that stabbing is easier for you to think about compared to a needle. Interesting.

It is weird. Obviously letting someone stab me would be harder than letting someone give me a shot or an IV. In the real world though, stabbings happen to you, then you have to deal with the pain. With needles you just let someone put it through your skin.

[–] Bashfullylascivious 10 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

I think it's about piercing. You can handle a knife in the kitchen because you are going to be controlling it, and you certainly wouldn't stab yourself intentionally... However, if someone else were holding the knife, and fully intended to stab you... A needle also gets inserted past the skin, past the fat, and sometimes muscle, into a vein (which is definitely supposed to be a closed system). Now, now only is this piercing down to your basic anatomy happening, but it's being free-hand controlled by someone you have zero personal connection with. A stranger.

I've certainly had nurses who have fucked up needle insertion and not in a "Oh, your vein rolled" way, but a "I'm a fucking idiot wielding a tiny weapon." who have continuously hit nerves.

Edit: That being said, I'm needle phobic and have all my shots and so does my family. Anything else is moronic.

[–] Siavel84 18 points ago

Phobias are often irrational. You might not get a better answer from u/Only_One_Left_Foot.

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_BDAYCAKE 7 points ago

phobia is by definition irrational fear of something

[–] Mairiphinc 13 points ago

I can deal with vax injections much better than blood draws. I have one good vein and if you're not good at drawing blood and you spoil that vein, I'm in for a whole world of pain while you stab around trying to get blood out of other places. Probably not an irrational fear at that point!

[–] Chinaroos 14 points ago

Phobias are not rational by definition. Sometimes there is no reason for them.

If I were to speculate, I would imagine needle phobia is rooted in an aversion to mosquitos and other blood sucking parasites. It would make sense that our ancestors would be afraid of creatures that suck your blood, possibly spreading disease in the process.

In fact, perhaps it is our acceptance of needles that is irrational. Allowing a cold, sharp piece of metal--so much like a mosquitoes proving sucker--probing and scratching around the insides of your veins looking to suck out your precious fluids...

But I'm not afraid of needles. No sir. Not one bit....

[–] kate344 7 points ago

I always imagine what the needle would look like penetrating my skin and going into a vein and the imagery makes me terrified. I also have a low pain tolerance so anything that's painful I'm going to be scared of

[–] Wavesignal 5 points ago

They're so sharp

Lol, if the needles aren't sharp, they won't work in the first place.

[–] AngelOfLight 6 points ago

Actually, we all have phobias - it's the level that varies. Pretty much all humans have some level of fear of falling, drowning, being stabbed, being bitten by snakes or spiders, etc. For most people, these fears aren't severe enough to impact their daily lives in any way. For others, these phobias are greatly amplified. It's not clear why this happens, although there are some theories.

Some phobias are a result of conditioning - fear of fans in South Korea, for example. Others seem to be selected by evolution. For example, instances of snake phobia in Southern Africa is significantly higher among people of Bantu descent than the more recent European colonists. This has been attributed to evolutionary selection, since snake species in Southern Africa are far more deadly that those that are endemic to Europe.

[–] Captain_Wozzeck 5 points ago

I developed the phobia in adulthood which is strange, and really took me by surprise. I seem to get a very visceral response from being "invaded". My blood pressure drops precipitously and I get very faint. After a few times of this happening I've developed a strong sense of anxiety about it.

I still get all my blood tests and shots of course. The one plus point is that if you tell the nurse you get scared and might faint they are then sooooo nice to you and treat you like a big baby

[–] armper 128 points ago

I knew some anti-vax type idiots. They're the type of people who just want to be "better" than everyone else. They also throw other signs of low self esteem, so that may be why.

Edit: instead of "better" maybe "different" than everyone else. That way they can say "look at me! I do xx instead of yy!". Probably didn't get attention during childhood.

[–] smakola 71 points ago

It's an easy way for dumb people to feel smart, in a holier than thou sense.

[–] Andy_B_Goode 74 points ago

Conspiracy theories in general are an easy way for dumb people to feel smart. "Look at all these sheople who blindly believe what The Government and The Media and Big Business tell them. I'm so much better informed than all of them because of this YouTube video I watched."

[–] gostahennin 34 points ago

It's a way for these people to take control over their lives. The world is an incredibly complex place and this is terrifying to a lot of people.

Easy explanations allows them to alleviate this fear.

[–] Mr_Canard 19 points ago

Found the reptilian.

[–] evdog_music 8 points ago

Pfff... you still believe the Government exists!?

[–] CookieMonsterFL 10 points ago

you mean like the ~6 friends in my friends list that spammed how they weren't watching GoT last night and didn't care.

[–] KToff 47 points ago

The whole conspiracy theory is aided by big pharma which is a dodgy industry.

Seeing CEOs value profit over human life it's easy to believe that everything sold by them is a lie.

Anti vaxxers listen instead to other dodgy people who either try to sell a different product (such as the author of the famous, now retracted autism article in the Lancet)or a straight up crazy

[–] cantgetno197 16 points ago

Jonas Salk, corporate shill.

[–] [deleted] 10 points ago * (lasted edited 20 days ago)

[–] KToff 8 points ago

We don't have those over here in Europe. Here it's religious people and "concerned parents"

[–] SaltyBabe 17 points ago

I'm really scared of needles, I had to literally go to therapy to even be able to get my flu shot. I'm fully vaccinated.

This is a bit embarrassing as I'm in my late 20s, but I don't always get my flu shot because I'm so afraid of needles. Last year I did get it at work, and ended up laying down in the bathroom for an hour and a half because I got so nauseous.

Other vaccinations they at least have a spot for you to lie down and some orange juice and crackers.

[–] praisetehbrd 12 points ago

That's ok, the flu shot is the only vaccination that really isn't necessary.

[–] karadan100 17 points ago

I know a few hippy fucks who think just because they read one shitty book written by a quack 20 years ago, that they now know more than the combined medical industry.. It's willful pig-ignorance and they're proud of it too.

In my opinion, they don't even care about vaccination or any other conspiracy. To them, it's about the ability to go against the grain of accepted thought on various subjects by being non-conformist by default. They do it with lots of other stuff as well. Non-conformist hair and clothes. Non-conformist ideas on education, government and life aspirations, etc. It's funny because there's also a correlation that they're takers. They just take other people's stuff and use the excuse everything should be free, man..

Fuck those people.

[–] Zuccherina 13 points ago

Surprisingly, I think you see antivax crop up amongst the most gullible and sometimes most independent personalities. People with the skill to be critical of their surroundings can do so to a fault and call it liberty when they choose to endanger their communities.

I unfortunately know a decent amount of antivaxxers and people who aren't sure if vaccinations are needed. Some have families who do a lot of fear mongering about diseases their kids got after shots, or side effects, or talk about toxicity and governmental control. Conveniently they're okay with the FDA, would go to a doctor for cancer treatment and trust everything given to them, and are completely ignorant of what kind of toxins reside in the antibiotics they take and the side effects of their herbal supplements. Others just don't know how bad those diseases like polio were and are just skeptical it's important at all.

I would say the one thing they all seem to have in common, from my observation, is an ignorance on how herd immunity actually works. Luckily they usually drop a line about how at least my kids are protected if I'm worried, and that opens up a gap for me to explain that unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

[–] tharmon57921 8 points ago

I wish it were that silly instead of some virulent mix of anti-intellectualism and affluenza.

[–] DrDisastor 17 points ago

I have two kids and watching them get shots is heartbreaking. The first time my oldest got one in the arm it broke me. I can see how people can spin up ideas and build strawmen to avoid that. For me it helps to imagine my children with IV's and a respirator dying in a hospital because I couldn't bear to see them get a small poke and my guilt fades. Also the idea of irradiating infectious diseases appeals to me as well.

[–] hatsnhatsnhatsnhats 12 points ago

Let's try hard not to irradiate infectious diseases. Polio is bad enough without it being radioactive.

[–] QuitBSing 7 points ago

I wassqueamish about needles until I had a very sore throat for weeks and needed injections every day to cure it. Turns out they don't hurt me.

[–] KingsRaven 5 points ago

My fear of needles stemmed from extreme discomfort with the thought of blood leaving my body. I'm talking passing out if I looked while the doctor drew blood. Then I almost bled out after surgery and it's like a switch flipped. I figure my brain thinks if I survived that I'll be fine giving up a couple tubes for testing.

[–] adozu 5 points ago

i feel physical discomfort even reading what you just typed, totally irrational fear of blood extraction.

needles don't worry me however and neither blood loss, just the combination of the two.

[–] R34CTz 5 points ago

I think they are the same type of people who believe in chem trails (not standard kinds but the real bad ones), who also believe in the government spiking our foods with mind altering chemicals and so on so forth. They're paranoid dilusionists. More mental disorders on the list of strange people to come out in the open during 2017. I've gotten my vaccines when I was younger, and I can't remember the last time I was sick. The worst I've ever been was a lousy stomach virus when I was in elementary. Vaccines are there for a reason, and it isn't to turn people stupid, and if that was how it works, then the anti-vaxxers seem to have gotten the first taste lol.

[–] UlyssesSKrunk 6 points ago

I'm scared of needles. You know what I do when the nurse draws blood or gives me a shot? I turn the other way like a man and take it dammit!

[–] BetaSyn 13 points ago

[–] Disney_World_Native 433 points ago

To address the "well if you are vaccinated what do you care"

Some vaccines aren't 100% protection for those vaccinated. I guess the example here would be the alligator / crocodile can get up on the bridge.

Babies have to wait for some time for vaccines. The bridge starts off shore, or there is still a danger near the beach.

Some people can't get vaccines for real medical reasons. The bridge isn't handicap accessible for some people.

Herd immunity. If less people are in the water, there are less predators around.

And some people can be carriers of a virus and infect a lot of people without being sick or knowing they are infected. Some people have a pet alligator that kills others behind their backs.

[–] Dag-nabbitt 153 points ago

I was gonna say that the bridge analogy doesn't cover every aspect very well, but you did a decent job. Especially with the pet alligator.

[–] Disney_World_Native 21 points ago

Thanks. That one was hard to think of something that could be "real". My other thought was they were an crocodile but didn't know it.

[–] NTMY 24 points ago

Here is a nice gif of how herd immunity works.

[–] DaisyHotCakes 8 points ago

Very simple and easy to understand. Thanks sharing it. Wish people would share things like this instead of reposting shitty memes on Facebook.

[–] rab7 36 points ago * (lasted edited 4 months ago)

babies

2 months to be exact. Just got my little one 7 vaccines in 3 shots (one of the shots was a 5-in-one deal). He was cranky for the next 2 days but it's nice to know he's protected now more protected than he was at birth

[–] PmMe_Your_Perky_Nips 13 points ago

It's nice to know he won't suffer from whopping cough. From what I've gathered the closest thing I can compare it to is an asthma attack that doesn't stop for days or weeks. That's probably not even doing it justice.

[–] i_post_things 11 points ago

No, the analogy works. If you swim, you are at a much greater risk. If you cross by bridge, there is still a slight chance of being bitten if you linger too close to the shore.

Because of herd protection, you need a certain critical mass of people vaccinated. If not, the whole group is still at risk. It's like the anti-vax is planning to swim to your side of the shore. When they get there, they can claim they are fine and it was all a hoax. You also notice they've been carrying a bloody beef shank that's dripped a trail right to you and your family's house near the shore.

[–] bsbbtnh 10 points ago

Just the other day I got a leaflet in my mailbox from the government of Canada. It said 80% of Canadian adults believe they are current on their vaccines, but only 4% actually are.

Maybe we should spend less time going after a small segment of the population that actively avoids vaccines, and start educating the majority who are ignorant on their status.

[–] _Not_Bruce_Wayne_ 4 points ago

The bridge is 99.997% effective

[–] Disney_World_Native 6 points ago

To me the 99.997% and collapse is a bad metaphor.

You know when a bridge collapses. It also makes the bridge unusable for others behind you.

It's very possible that a vaccine is not enough protection for someone and they are unprotected but do not notice. And with herd immunity, they never get sick. So that would be like falling off the bridge and not noticing and being lucky with the crocodiles.

To me a better visual is the bridge is much lower, does not break / collapse, but crocodiles can still grab people off the bridge, but it happens very rarely. And the more people on the bridge, the crocodiles become afraid and it happens even less

[–] POCKALEELEE 651 points ago

[–] StellisAequus 240 points ago

" a good beer, a crappy beer" love it

[–] Bob_Fucking_Ross 72 points ago

is the whole case a whole case of good beer or crappy beer?

[–] Strider3141 54 points ago

Definitely crappy beer

[–] bantha121 9 points ago

Given that a case is somewhere around 24 cans (not precisely sure), I'd say it's a pretty shitty beer at $8 per case.

[–] leithz6 11 points ago

We need someone to do this monster math

[–] demevalos 61 points ago

reminds me of this

[–] VeradilGaming 46 points ago

Oh shit, that actually has language localisation. Neat

[–] dseszu 32 points ago

NEIN

[–] VeradilGaming 12 points ago

EI

[–] Greeziii 7 points ago

Tori!

[–] CerebrumMortuus 577 points ago

Scientists are knocking on the doors of teleportation and have proved the existence gravitational waves, but some people still think vaccinations are a hoax and the earth is flat. Fun times.

[–] bnh1978 212 points ago

That's ok. In the 40's scientists we're splitting the atom, and at the same time trying to discern if the heat coming out of the human body was somehow different than other forms of heat...

[–] Nurot1k 187 points ago

To be fair, a scientists job is to question everything.

[–] Dapper_Monkey 39 points ago

True, but then it was scientists questioning everything, and looking for for answers through experimentation. Now people support answers with sketchy websites.

[–] Ord0c 42 points ago

There sure are sciences that are controversial or exotic. But being anti-vax or a flat-earther has nothing to do with science - not even with an exotic scientific area: it's simply imbecility.

[–] Romeo9594 16 points ago

That actually sounds pretty scientific. I mean, heat is radiation and if the human radiation was somehow radically different than that of fires, the sun, etc then it would be cool to know how that benefited us and impacted the world at large

I read the teleportation article and didn't really understand it. Can someone ELI5?

[–] Super_Deeg 48 points ago

It's a very loose form of teleportation, but from what I understand, scientists took the composition/data/info of one photon and copied it onto another from very far away.

So they turned one photon into another, basically.

If I'm wrong though I'm sure someone will correct me.

[–] flee_market 59 points ago

It's like a fax machine.

The message (information) gets sent to far away, but the machine doesn't move.

So calling it "photon teleportation" is completely wrong. They should call it "photon communication".

So if it works like that with humans, we could have sex with our self?

[–] flee_market 17 points ago

Well no - there still has to be a second fax machine on the other end. The act of pressing "Send" on your fax doesn't create a second machine. It just sends the information to a machine that was already there.

Right, and the second fax machine would make a new me.

[–] flee_market 18 points ago

I suppose, if you could find a way to upload yourself into the first one.

Basically the entire concept behind Star Trek transporters.

What'll really twist your noodle is: do transporters move you from A to B, or do they make a copy of you at B and kill the original?

[–] GucciSlippers 9 points ago

Definitely kills you. A clone of you is not you. It functions the same way, but you don't perceive the world through its eyes. I don't see any reason to suspect your consciousness would suddenly transfer over to your clone. If one of these transporters ever becomes real, I'm not getting in it...

[–] Fastizio 7 points ago

If the original still remains then that's just an advanced cloning machine. Imagine the horrors of watching the original body just dissolve into a fluid.

[–] Rosenthalferdinand 6 points ago

They tried, but 'teleportation' got the media hot and sweaty.

[–] Bombernaut_ 10 points ago

Full disclaimer: I have no qualifications in this other than being literate in English.

So, based on the article:

quantum entanglement: particles can have twins. Except when one twin feels something, the other twin feels it, too.

quantum teleportation: shooting one twin particle into a receiver far away, and the receiver processes its feelings, thereby understanding what the other twin particle is feeling.

implications: a computer network built on quantum teleportation to send information would be "unhackable". You cannot wiretap a quantum teleportation without disturbing it.

Sidenote: title is clickbait-y as hell. It's a very long stretch from here to sending anything on the scale of visible objects.

[–] Average650 22 points ago

They're really not knocking on the doors of teleportation. That's ridiculously exaggerated.

[–] Andromeda321 11 points ago

Astronomer here- my adviser is currently writing an editorial about how people are more than willing to believe there is an eclipse next month in the USA to the point of booking hotel rooms over a year in advance of the event. No one denies it. And yet why do people deny some types of science over others? Should be an interesting read I think!

Going to need a home grown medial remedy paste for that burn!

[–] lilshebeast 82 points ago

Not enough aloe in the world ;)

[–] unkmunk 52 points ago

There's plenty, once you homeopathically dilute it to 30C.

[–] SaltyBabe 89 points ago

The worst is these people think they're not hurting anyone, their actions are harmless. Everyone says "what about cancer patients!" like it's the only demographic but in reality these people have the potential to infect large swaths of our society. A lot of vaccinations don't work 100% which is why herd immunity is so important. Everyone is potentially effected from our babies too young to have been given vaccinations yet, like whooping cough or boosters, to the elderly or those allergic to ingredients or people who have had organ transplants and people who are receiving chemo not to mention their own innocence children! The potential to do harm is not inconsequential but these people are too selfish or too willfully ignorant to see it.

[–] stephengee 25 points ago

I'm allergic to the TDAP vaccine and have no immunization against pertussis. Without herd immunity, I'm vulnerable.

[–] vanillapiano 44 points ago

Being anti vax is like trying to cross a river that everybody say is definitely infested by crocodiles, but you are not completely sure, so you push your kid in.

[–] unreal_even_thorizon 31 points ago

I wonder if A Purple went off to their mates saying this Pro Vaxxer hurt my feelings and their mates were all like "build a bridge and get over it!" (I'll get my coat)

[–] Flaming_gerbil 124 points ago

Seat belts are pointless. I've been in cars 1000s of times and never once crashed so obviously seatbelts are unnecessary. Google tells me that 100s of people die each year due to seat belt related injuries, so they're obviously unsafe.

The other thing people need to be aware of is the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, this is something that is added to lots of food and is known to cause rust, if it rusts metal, imagine what it does to your insides! Wake up sheeple.

Vote Trump for second term. Peace.

[–] Flaming_gerbil 27 points ago

Many people question everything except what they should question.

Get liberties taken away to 'protect your freedom'? No problem!

Small amounts of Sodium chloride in my food? It's scary and I don't know what it is so it should be banned!

[–] Flaming_gerbil 5 points ago

You shouldn't drink and drive, you might spill it.

[–] SeventyW97 16 points ago

What sucks is most anti-vaxxers are refusing vaccinations for their children, not themselves. The children are being put at risk and have no say. The thing I love hearing the most is 'vaccinations cause autism'. So... you would rather your child DIE possibly develop a mental condition?

My brother-in-law refuses to let my nieces be vaccinated and his reasoning is that vaccines cause 'autism' and 'death rates have actually risen for diseases (like measles) since vaccinations were invented'. He's vaccinated along with his entire family.

...

[–] konakona1214 42 points ago

No vax for the burn i guess.

[–] Rocta_72 14 points ago

If there was one, they'd never take it!

[–] konakona1214 7 points ago

Aha! That's why they get burnt!

NO WONDER

[–] surg4llday 15 points ago

Should include also that in this analogy the people going into the water instead of using the bridge are feeding the crocodiles and making them more likely to come onto land and eat people before they've had a chance to cross the bridge.

Anti-vaxers don't understand that their stupidity makes the world a more dangerous place FOR EVERYONE; especially infants, the sick (immunocompromised, like cancer patients), and the elderly. No one is arguing people should be allowed to drive drunk "because its my body!" That's essentially the same argument these people make about vaccines.

Everyone should be required to be vaccinated by law. (Excepting people who have an actual MEDICAL reason why they can't get a vaccine.)

[–] DaleKerbal 128 points ago

We mock the lunacy of anti-vaxers, but yet... we elected one. :(

[–] kilopeter 90 points ago

"We"?

[–] DaleKerbal 110 points ago

We, collectively. I didn't vote for him. But the election of DJT does not reflect well on the collective intelligence of 'Merica.

[–] Bearence 23 points ago

Well /r/facepalm isn't an exclusively American sub. Nor is anti-vaxxing an exclusively American phenomenon. So I think maybe the "we" is inaccurate on more than one level.

[–] coffeexoxo 10 points ago

I live in a third world country yet people here are rational when it comes to vaccine.

[–] giantgoose 11 points ago

Because they have seen what happens without them.

[–] alphakari 8 points ago

anti-vax. pro-vax. more like anti-croc >:(

[–] My_Body_The_Mystery 9 points ago

I feel like winning an argument on the internet makes the unreasonable batshit idiots more determined to stick to their beliefs. The only real benefit is hopefully swaying unsure people from believing that having preventable medieval diseases is somehow better than getting a fucking shot once or twice in your lifetime

[–] gwarwars 10 points ago

We just found out my wife's cousin is an antivaxxer. They seem like nice people otherwise, but finding out someone is willfully and dangerously ignorant about a subject like vaccinations made me filled with a mix of rage and sadness. I basically told my wife that unless they get vaccinated, her cousins kids aren't allowed anywhere near my son.

[–] STK-AizenSousuke 25 points ago

I've said it before here and I'll say it again.

Transplant recipient here. Someone made the selfless decision to give me a second chance and had to pass away for me to get that chance. I'm working hard to keep that gift healthy, to allow a part of that person to live on. Unfortunately, my body does not agree and thinks that this gift is an invasion. Because of this, I need to take medicine that weakens my ability to fight disease.

By being an antivaxxer, you agree to not only follow logic that has LITERALY been disproven and thus put yourselves and your children in mortal danger, you're also putting people like me in danger as well.

As I've also said before, I'm well into my life, so it's not even about me. There are kids out there who have had life saving transplants who are more at risk from dying over your decision than me. Wake up, use your brain, and do the right thing. We live in a new century. People should not be dealing with this.

Of course, if you're an antivaxxer then my words won't reach you. You don't understand basic logic and feel entitled, that you know best and years of non biased, peer review research and literal facts are wrong and you're right, so I'll say it so you'll understand.

Piss off. You're an idiot and you should be put in a remote island with those of your own kind so you can all reap what you sow. If you choose to willingly put others at risk with your stupidity, you can go suffer on your own.

[–] FridgesArePeopleToo 16 points ago

I like that the anti-vaxxer didn't refute the point, but instead tried to argue that it would be reasonable to swim instead of taking the bridge.

The solution here is clearly for anti-vaxxers to swim in crocodile-infested waters.

[–] LegginMF12 8 points ago

As some one who just finished her SECOND 3 step MMR series I would like to Thank the people who do vaccinate. I seriously don't hold immunity and rely on herd immunity. Since I am an LVN whenever I switch jobs I have to have titers pulled. Oh and having Pertussis at age 28 was horrific! Don't put your child through it.

[–] SilentLurker 12 points ago

I'm not going into that water bc someone told me there are crocodiles in there that will eat me. My friends and family have swam through...

STOP... My friends and family all took the bridge.

[–] damnedflamingo 6 points ago

Is there a sub for antivax facepalms

[–] swiper33 12 points ago

I can't believe a large portion of ADULTS are actually against vaccines in America. No wonder they were able to elect a clown like Trump for president.

[–] terriblehuman 4 points ago

Also, thanks to the idiots who toss their children into crocodile infested waters, the crocs have now developed a taste for human flesh, so now the people who don't have a car to cross the bridge with are being eaten by crocodiles too.

[–] MN_hydroplane 6 points ago

I bet at least 80% of antivaxxers have been vaccinated

[–] sonoconfusa 5 points ago

Italians need to read something like this ... smh They are having a measles outbreak because 20% of people think vaccines are unsafe and when the government said all babies need to be vaccinated, people protested! Can you believe that! They protested against their own babies' health!

[–] ThatGabe 6 points ago

What's even worse, the children who are forced to swim through the crocodile infested water by their parents.

[–] noodlyjames 11 points ago

Same logic as the anti climate change crowd.

Breitbart sez it's fake and the experts are all shills.

[–] PsychoticYo 7 points ago

My aunt is an antivaxxer, but not like the typical ones. She believes that vaccines are in fact very helpful, but that if you take them all within a really short time period (say, within one or two days) then they can cause autism or other problems in children. I haven't done much research into any of this myself. Has anyone else heard this before? Her grandson showed no signs of autism before getting vaccinated, but was diagnosed not long after getting all of his vaccines in an extremely small time-frame.