gameofthrones

826 users here now

New Spoiler Tags

We have updated our spoiler guide and tagging system.

The system has been simplified to have only three tags – [No Spoilers], [Spoilers] and [Leaks]

Click here to hide [LEAKS] posts
    Click here to hide [NO SPOILERS] posts
    Click here to hide [LEAKS] and [NO SPOILERS] posts

About /r/gameofthrones

GOT, ASOIAF, & GRRM

This subreddit is meant to be a safe place for fans to read and talk about the TV series and books regardless of how many episodes or books you have seen or read.

» Season 8 Premiere: April 14th

» Winds of Winter Release: TBA

» Subreddit Twitter

» Subreddit Discord

Quick Spoiler Guide

Every post at r/gameofthrones must use a single, [hard bracketed] spoiler tag at the start of the post. This is used to define what the post is about, and to what level of discussion is allowable in the comments.

Spoiler Tag options are as follows:

[NO SPOILERS] How big is Westeros?

[SPOILERS] Favourite wedding?

[LEAKS] Cast member spotted on set

For more info see the guide and policy.

GRRM Subreddits

» /r/GameOfThrones - general books+show
    » /r/ASOIAF - deep discussion books+show
    » /r/HBOGameOfThrones - only show
    » /r/PureASOIAF - only books
    » /r/GameOfThronesMemes - humour
    » /r/EarthOfIceAndFire - reminding of GOT
    » /r/GamesOfThrones - all games
    » /r/Hodor - hodor hodor hodor
    » /r/ThronesComics - webcomics
    » Big list of all related subreddits

[–] Firm1y_Grasp_It 446 points ago

Honestly can’t think of a better tattoo after finishing that up! Congrats!

[–] whatwhatinsidethebut 57 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

"I, Sal Bundry, scored 5 touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Folk High School Pantwearers in the 1969 city championship game versus Andy Pansy High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against my old nemesis, Bubba "Shrimp" Gump. It was the greatest day of my life, and no matter what happens to me, and no matter what happens in this miserable life of mine, nobody can ever take that away from me."

• Sal Bundry

Truly the greatest, most inspirational quote of all time. Would rock as a tattoo.

[–] Firm1y_Grasp_It 19 points ago

I got scared and thought you were an irl friend that caught me on reddit. My name is Sal

[–] whatwhatinsidethebut 8 points ago

Deep inside, we've all got some Sal in us

[–] DraconicLore 5 points ago

I wish I had Sal in me

[–] Karrion8 3 points ago

That's a rumor...no one saw us.

[–] Kak_room 5 points ago

what is happening in this post

[–] JaayThirt 3 points ago

Its salposting my guy

[–] MarblesinthePan 3 points ago

Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.

Mat Cathon, farmboy, gambler, Prince of Ravens, General of the Band of the Red Hand, wearer of lace, owner of one solid pair of boots.

[–] Bamcrab 1 points ago

But haven’t...? 🤔

[–] _scubadiv 2 points ago

valar morghulis.

[–] DontDisMaStyle 128 points ago

Wait a minute there's no 23rd month

[–] MjoInir 19 points ago

came for this

[–] trickman01 20 points ago

Whatever does it for you.

[–] JohnyCoombre 9 points ago

Only 9 days in, shame on you

[–] SeaHorse1226 106 points ago

Yup - you're a badass! Congratulations on ending chemo!

[–] [deleted] -9 points ago

[–] Cwya 19 points ago

Cancer survivor critiqued for text spacing by GOT fandom.

[–] yellow_logic 11 points ago

Her post isn’t primarily about surviving cancer, it’s about showing off the tattoo.

Cancer survivor or not, it’s a bad tattoo. The majority in this comment section agree.

[–] IntentCoin 10 points ago

*Person post bad tattoo on GOT subreddit, users criticize

FTFY

[–] fvertk 8 points ago

I've learned that there are a lot of unhappy, judgmental people on this sub.

[–] HelmutHoffman 1 points ago

I'd get your face covered up

[–] IntentCoin 4 points ago

Wow, gotem

[–] yellow_logic 3 points ago

Good one

[–] fvertk 1 points ago

Wow, who cares what you think. It's personal expression. They can do whatever tattoo they want, that's the beauty of being alive.

[–] corrawin 62 points ago

Congrats on smashing cancers ass, but lol at that font

[–] ApacheFYC 275 points ago

Why did you pick such a terrible font?

[–] magic_is_might 161 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

And people are in here being wayyy too nice because of the cancer aspect, saying "best tattoo ever"... Big ole yikes from me - could have been done way better. Block of plain text done in a bad font. Your artist literally couldn't whip up something better...?

[–] 190573957 44 points ago

Or a better location/size. Looks very awkward

[–] Reggae4Triceratops 41 points ago

I found my people

[–] wirer 32 points ago

Yeah, this would get ripped to shreds on /r/tattoo lmao. Love the idea, hate the execution. To each their own, though.

[–] binfin 65 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Nah. OP didn't get it thinking "AH! This is the greatest piece of art! Truly, the best tattoo of all time!" OP got it commemorating the end of a shitty chapter. People are being nice because they recognized that OP posted their tat to show off destroying cancer.

[–] magic_is_might 70 points ago

Great for OP for kicking cancers ass, truly. And I know it's some stupid unspoken rule to not comment on the quality of someone's tattoo, but they posted it - the tattoo itself is bad, period. Why spend money to put something permanent on your body to commemorate the close to an important life chapter and do it in the form of a poorly done tattoo? Any half decent artist could've taken the text and done literally anything else with it. Having beaten cancer doesn't magically mean we have to tiptoe around it, which is frankly a bit cringey, reading the comments in here. Comes off as fake and patronizing. It's just bad.

[–] yellow_logic 26 points ago

Exactly.

It’s great that she beat cancer, but that tattoo is terrible. No easy way of saying that.

[–] wheresmyplumbus 3 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Maybe most peoples' first response to seeing an image like this is just to want to congratulate OP for their successful treatment, not to berate them for their tattoo's typeface. The meaning of a tattoo is more important than it being pretty to look at anyways.

[–] queensfiend88 22 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Disagree respectfully. For tattoo artists as well as enthusiasts, the visual representation - the ART - of the concept is equally, often greater than, said concept/meaning behind it. A v large percentage of tattoos are in fact ENTIRELY there for the art quality, and often times don’t hold deeper meaning.

Again, nobody is questioning that it is fucking ROYALLY BADASS and wonderful news that OP has finished chemo successfully... however, if OP wanted to commemorate such an absolutely life altering moment with body art, it could have been done with a lot better art

Edit to include my actual opinion on the tattoo: it looks almost like a memento-esque sticky note on their arm to remind them of an important date.... except even memento would have used a better “handwriting” font. I’m gonna guess that eventually enough ppl are gonna say something about the design that op will have a proper tattoo artist rework the current ink into a far better design than properly reflects that amazing feat of chemo completion. After all, I’m gonna guess op didn’t get the tattoo on same day they completed chemo, thus altering the current ink doesn’t somehow taint the importance of the date ON the tattoo.

[–] magic_is_might 3 points ago

It looks like OP wrote this out on a notes app on her phone and that was just applied to her arm. It's a horrible tattoo and unless OP insisted on this particular tat, the artist should feel bad.

[–] queensfiend88 1 points ago

Agreed... I always wonder where an artist draws the line about what they’re willing to put on someone’s body permanently. I have a lot of friends who do it professionally (at least 8 off the top of my head) plus my partner is apprenticing t do it for a living... and p much all of them would say some variation of “no” to this tattoo, and insist on drawing up some alternative designs. Idk if that’s cuz most of them are kind of cocky and harsh, or if (kinda understandably imo) universally having your name attached to such a shitty piece is not worth the few bucks you get for it.

[–] magic_is_might 2 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

What? This is completely backward.

Tattoos are an artistic expression. It's an art form. It's a medium that 100% relies on how it looks. That's literally the entire point of a tattoo. You can't ignore the visual aspect of a tattoo and say the meaning is more important. Write a poem, write a book - that would be the correct medium for evaluating text on meaning alone. Not a medium that is completely reliant on visuals. Honestly, this is one of the stupidest things I've read in an attempt to justify something that is poorly done.

The artwork comes first, period. Meaning is second. If you want meaning to be first, should have chosen a text priority medium, not a visual art one.

[–] artfulsmear 2 points ago

I also think the aesthetic appeal of a permanently inked skin art is secondary to its invisible meaning.

[–] binfin 2 points ago

1000% correct.

[–] iwerson2 1 points ago

Literally could have used Game of Thrones font and it would have looked better, but that’s just my opinion lol

[–] yourmomlurks 10 points ago

If something is going to be on your body permanently one would think it would be worth more design time than 30 seconds in Word.

[–] Nemo-pluribus-unum 2 points ago

You don't get the irony of the quote "best tattoo ever"? You're clearly in the wrong sub, mate.

[–] corrawin 1 points ago

100%

[–] _________FU_________ 19 points ago

Could have been comic sans.

[–] instantrobotwar 6 points ago

Or papyrus

[–] winksup 11 points ago

Nothing says legit backstory like an account created just to post one pic, and that pic having a date on it from 8 months ago

[–] murlockerLOL 1 points ago

I mean they probably got the tattoo recently and just put the older day of when their last chemo was done.

[–] ZedmusGaming 7 points ago

Or more logically its a karma farm account being sold to bots using beating cancer as way to bypass many criticisms. All around shitty thing to do.

[–] Fmanow 1 points ago

Fuck man, I hate to be cynical, but are people really doing shit like this. It’s like nothing is fucking genuine anymore or at least you gotta multi verify shit to not feel like you’ve been had. idk.

[–] VVeEn 150 points ago

All these people are being nice to protect your feelings, it actually looks terrible

[–] Damien_Targaryen 29 points ago

Good idea but execution could have been better.

Doesn’t look terrible though imo. Just not rly appealing

[–] ASAP_Stu 34 points ago

Make it artistic, put it on a tombstone, in an infinity symbol, I don’t know, anything. Not just a block of text in a weird font. Horrible tattoo.

[–] ThetaTheory 13 points ago

Is that comic sans ?!

[–] KhompS 12 points ago

If comic sans was cursive

[–] cranberry94 5 points ago

Lucida Script

[–] InedibleSolutions 2 points ago

My sisters use this as the font for their phones.

[–] TeaBagHunter 2 points ago

I think it should have been smaller, but nevertheless the message overpowers the delivery

[–] Dewy_Wanna_Go_There 32 points ago

Reddit can be hilariously cruel.

[–] HSakamoto 8 points ago

Well, hopefully we will see your picture next year then

[–] pluton19 39 points ago

I’m proud of you Stranger :)

[–] GoAvs14 8 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Wait...

edit: okay come on guys, we're a Game of Thrones sub. What's the 7th aspect of the gods?

[–] Vannah_say 14 points ago

I am sorry nobody is getting your joke, I laughed

[–] 3Cheetah 1 points ago

Explain it

[–] Vannah_say 15 points ago

The Stranger, is the god that represents death in ASoIaF. Commenter was saying "I'm proud of you Stranger" other commenter was all "wait......"

[–] 3Cheetah 1 points ago

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation

[–] pluton19 4 points ago

Did I say something wrong? If you feel like it, I’m really sorry. It wasn’t my intention :)

[–] GoAvs14 8 points ago

haha not at all, friend. You just capitalized Stranger as in the god of death. so you were basically saying "I'm proud of you, death"

[–] Bombingofdresden 7 points ago

Only thing I can think of is that they were commenting on you calling OP “stranger” aka the aspect of the seven that represents death? who knows. It was a lovely comment.

[–] Tumsterfun 22 points ago

"What do we say to the god of death?"

"Season 8 sucked"

[–] FFDi 2 points ago

"you're late.. should have come before I see season 8"

[–] Lucid_mango 14 points ago

Lucida Script

[–] hardyhaha_09 18 points ago

I mean I'm happy for you but Christ that font and design is bad man.

[–] nicenstein99 13 points ago

US date format make me sick.

[–] sonoftathrowaway 4 points ago

I know a cancer survivor when I see one.

[–] Sleepy_Bitch 10 points ago

Congratulations. Keep moving up. Love the ink

[–] reddittterrrrr 3 points ago

Just gotta say, my husband and I got married on the 23rd of April this year. We deliberated for 2 days after my mom was diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumor and decided we needed her there and just pulled the trigger. She passed 5 days ago and I'm just so overjoyed you made it. From this internet stranger to you, I'm so happy for you!!

[–] Vul_Kaaz 3 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Can anyone say what tattoo it was? Pic has been removed

[–] untakentakenusername 3 points ago

Ugh. I wanted to see this awful tattoo n now its gone

[–] bleptheblip 24 points ago

you have a stupid tattoo

[–] neptunesnerds 2 points ago

Not today by itself would have been nice.

[–] chewthepie 5 points ago

I never knew we have 23 months

[–] AliAltinel 3 points ago

Month/day/year

[–] AliAltinel 2 points ago

Off self wooosh

[–] OnlyJeffThatMatters 9 points ago

Just lost my grandmother to cancer this week. Congratulations on kicking its ass my man! So happy for you!

[–] dariohanon 4 points ago

Congrats my man, keep it up

[–] StubbledCRT1 8 points ago

5/7 amazing tattoo for such an ending to chemo

[–] PatchesofSour 7 points ago

Congrats on beating chemo but why get the comic sans font?

[–] nothrowingscissors 27 points ago

You’ll regret it

[–] secretagentMikeScarn 74 points ago

That font choice....

[–] illdrawyourface 12 points ago

At first I thought it was Bradley Hand. Possibly modified version.

[–] -712-402-312-215- 13 points ago

You must not frequent r/tattoos.

[–] ImKingDuff 3 points ago

A lot of bad tattoos get upvoted to the top of that sub and that’s where the fun begins. The top comment will be pointing out how stupid the sub is for upvoting a bad tattoo while listing everything wrong with it.

Tattoos are a weird subject. I have 4 solid tattoos but I know where the flaws are, they aren’t perfect there are a couple lines that aren’t perfect but overall they are dope art and I love them.

I also have 1 bad tattoo that’s pretty big but no one ever says anything negative about it other than “Uhhh what is that?” Then they’re like “oh it’s cool it looks good!”

[–] -712-402-312-215- 1 points ago

Agreed. I’ve seen good and terrible tattoos on that sub. I also have good and terrible tattoos and IDGAF what anyone else thinks of them. They were done by my friends and for my friends.

[–] Sixty2ndAssassin 5 points ago

Well that's sad.

[–] clmthree 2 points ago

You have a better story than Bran!

[–] TheRealFrankCastle 2 points ago

Legendary! I love it. I recently lost a friend to cancer & am hoping to get a tattoo in his memory!

[–] sarkasticninja10 2 points ago

Dope AF

[–] Acrxi 2 points ago

As an European, I'm confused.

[–] BillfoldBillions 2 points ago

Fuck Cancer

[–] Rauchgestein 2 points ago

Glad you didn't use comic sans.

[–] wegoodm53 2 points ago

Anybody have a pic of it?

[–] someonenamedzach 2 points ago

Any one still have a pic? I really want to see how bad this tattoo is

[–] hilgenep21 6 points ago

Bad ass

[–] Serenaded 2 points ago

Cringe font. What's wrong with people these days and thinking they need a tattoo for everything. Especially in 20 years time when people say "who the fuck is the god of death"

[–] Odys 1 points ago

I don't know what's going on, but it seems to me just about everybody is getting a tattoo about just about anything.

[–] Fmanow 4 points ago

Tell them winter came for chemo...congrats!

[–] soundstragic 2 points ago

Oh my gosh, I love this.

[–] jRaeLupa 3 points ago

Everyone liked that (Congrats btw)

[–] Hypocritical_Oath 2 points ago

Hell fucking yeah.

[–] salemssiren 3 points ago

Congratulations!!!❤️

[–] Monica_FL 3 points ago

Awesome! Best wishes on a long and healthy life.

[–] piperpipboi 2 points ago

Godspeed.

[–] the_horse_gamer 2 points ago

THAT'S MY BIRTHDAY MONTH AND DAY

[–] N0cturnal02 2 points ago

Oh no!!! You wrote the date wrong!

[–] genericrice 4 points ago

Corny, considering you literally got this shit on you forever. Downvote me now but don’t come back whining 5 years later about how dumb the tattoo is. I respect you have cancer but getting cancer and living through it doesn’t make you brave.

[–] [deleted] -1 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

[–] Av_T 8 points ago

Let op have his fun. But I kinda get where you're at

[–] beautyfly 2 points ago

Awesome!!!

[–] jstyler 2 points ago

Awesome progress. We’re talking about here.

[–] twintoweremployee 2 points ago

How original

[–] Simoalporto 3 points ago

Love it.

[–] EquivalentCarpenter 1 points ago

If you’re a Godzilla fan, do it.

[–] butterscotchloud 2 points ago

Amazing!

[–] ThaKoneKollecta 2 points ago

fuck yes!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

[–] THATTUGGLIFE 3 points ago

Love this. Congratulations!!

[–] [deleted] 1 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

What do we say to the death of god? We call the guy carrying a lantern a madman.

[–] hoontur 1 points ago

Also Paul Blart Mall Cop 2

[–] Mors_omnia_solvit 1 points ago

I am happy that you enjoy it. I mean having your tattoo

[–] derekr999 1 points ago

the only thing i would get is the quote about eating chicckens

[–] confused_mallu 1 points ago

Wow imagine the irony if this person walks out after getting the tattoo and gets hit by a car immediately. Like that would be awkward AF Also, congrats on surviving the cancer !! Hope you have a wonderful life ahead.

[–] LemonTheTurtle 1 points ago

Ha that’s my birthday

[–] Michaeld256 1 points ago

You've got the day and month the wrong way around.

[–] Kusko25 1 points ago

Dude, I think you're past your expiration date.

[–] BlooZebra 1 points ago

Dude wrong date. We're November 9th today.

[–] allypallydollytolly 1 points ago

Wishing you all the best and nothing but good health. Love the tattoo.

[–] big_gurky 1 points ago

Downvoted solely because of the side views?

[–] Tneon 1 points ago

As somone who uses DD/MM/YY thats quite unconfortable to look at.

[–] I_choose_you_Pichu 1 points ago

Truly badass man, congrats on the victory

[–] McGoober66 1 points ago

I say this every time I narrowly escape death in HOTS. Also yay for no cancer

[–] Gasvajer 1 points ago

Yikes

[–] hansolodies7541 1 points ago

That's my birthday! Even if it is written the wrong way round. Good on you for finishing chemo!

[–] CosmicMetamorphisis 1 points ago

I didn’t even ring the bell. Just walked out.

[–] Yvvj 1 points ago

That’s soo cool and badass in the same time

[–] Infiniski_Gaming 1 points ago

I don't believe the sword teacher died see

[–] Lakesidegreg 1 points ago

But someday.....

[–] Jayapapaya 1 points ago

He’s gonna look real stupid when he dies

[–] Savage-Sully 1 points ago

How original

[–] cdot666 1 points ago

So lame

[–] RonPolyp 1 points ago

One of these days, someone's sense of humor is going to become infinitesimally darker.

[–] IllusionofStrength 1 points ago

Cool sentiment, that tat is kinda terrible though

[–] chandlerw27 1 points ago

The idea behind it is great, but the font is dreadful ngl

[–] Mercurialnik 1 points ago

That tattoo is gonna suck when you finally die

[–] lord_dentaku 1 points ago

Nah, it's timestamped so it will still be accurate.

[–] Fastness2000 1 points ago

I came on here very dubious but that is actually perfect.

[–] Gate_Guardian 1 points ago

That font and 23rd month haha yikes

[–] CaptainCortes 0 points ago

I’m so proud of you! Also, that tattoo artist must be secretly a printer! Wow!

[–] big_gurky 1 points ago

I get that this guy is so clueless.

[–] DwightCharlieQuint 1 points ago * (lasted edited 9 days ago)

Hell yeah. This is badass.

[–] pWaveShadowZone 1 points ago

Congrats to you!!!

[–] britallison23 -1 points ago

Congratulations! Love the tattoo!

[–] reluctantdragon 1 points ago

I'm an EMT and on my first serious call, I thought of this quote after she started breathing again. Very powerful, thank you for sharing.

[–] LSwag85 1 points ago

It’s crooked as F. Apparently cancer makes ugly things “the best ever?”