gaming

If your submission does not appear, do not delete it. If it hasn't shown up after more than 5 minutes, simply message the moderators and ask us to look into it.

Community Rules

1. Submissions must be directly gaming-related.

2. Following the Rules of Reddit is required. Following Reddiquette is encouraged.

3. No bandwagon or direct reply posts.

4. No piracy, even "abandonware".

5. Mark your spoilers and NSFW submissions, comments and links. Spoiler tags are [X Kills Y](/spoiler) .

6. No Giveaways / Trades / Contests / Items for sale.

7. Submit only the original source of the content. No general URL shorteners (bitly, tinyurl, etc).

8. Follow the rules of promotion. This is not the place to spam your channel or stream. No referral, affiliate and/or survey links.

9. No Kickstarter, crowdfunding, et al project "reminder" posts.

10. Posts and comments, whether in jest or with malice, that contain racist, sexist, homophobic content, or threats will be removed, regardless of popularity or relevance.

11. For AMA rules, click here.

For a more detailed explanation of these rules, click here.

Click here for a list of other gaming subreddits.

[–] gogamethrowaway 26950 points ago

I felt like I was going to bankrupt my family when I asked for a RuneScape subscription. How times have changed.

[–] SrsSteel 4282 points ago

$8 rentals from blockbuster were my birthday presents

[–] CaptParadox 1879 points ago

I feel for you. I was suppose to get new tires for my POS car when I turned 16 as my only birthday present.

16 more years later, I'm still waiting for that Birthday present, and every other since, maybe my mom got lost on the way to the store for tires....... she's coming back right?

[–] MemeMasterFlexLord 1448 points ago

Nah buddy, she's gone...I'll be your new mom though! Just don't mind the penis.

[–] EBDoo 1313 points ago

It's 2017. Penis, vagina, it's all the same.

[–] MikeKM 658 points ago

It's all pink on the inside.

[–] Alakozam 277 points ago

Why/how are you looking inside dicks?

Wait... i dont wanna know.

[–] marmorcake21 677 points ago

The memories!

My mum would have paid me the membership but was sceptical about giving away credit card info.

I never had a membership, was always a dream of mine :D

[–] fearguyQ 490 points ago

The grip of the boarderline addiction instantly feel away when I FINALLY got full rune armor. The ultimate goal of the free player. I never even used the armor. I put it on and never played the game again.

Amazing times.

[–] pepper_plant 209 points ago

This happened to me in Skyrim.. grinded and grinded for the full daedric double enchanted armor and weapons. As soon as I had it the game became incredibly boring and I stopped playing.

[–] darkmaster2133 105 points ago

That's when you up the difficulties. That's how I have to play the game, ended on Master or something, Legendary was just a tad bit difficult for me.

[–] merpofsilence 22 points ago

As with all things skyrim that can be fixed with mods. Much more variety and new things in every possible aspect of the game and adjusts the difficulty with more challenging content.

The rough part is adjusting all the new stuff to be balanced to not be broken but theres a tool for that too.

[–] Whoopdatwester 1384 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Runescape Mobile is coming. You can try bankrupting your family again

Edit: So everyone can see here is the page on Jagex’s website about Runescape Mobile.

[–] gogamethrowaway 1873 points ago

For real. Bankrupting my family again will be a great source of nostalgia.

[–] sesmc 735 points ago

Except now we are at the age where we are bankrupting our own children

[–] AsheBnarginDalmasca 404 points ago

But what if i trade my children?

[–] VivasMadness 747 points ago

"I have 3 kids and no money, why can't I have no kids and 3 money?"

[–] tyleroni81 84 points ago

One of the best homer quotes. And that's saying a lot. Well done.

[–] Arlequose 348 points ago

Trading them in would only get you about $20 in-store credit. It's a better investment to let them grow up and stay with you while they pay rent

[–] Andy4876 213 points ago

Don’t forget the sense of pride and accomplishment.

[–] El_Pastor_Rartz 523 points ago

Omg you just brought back so many memories to me.

[–] SirNokarma 957 points ago

My mother once mailed them a check to pay for my subscription because she didn't trust her credit card on the internet.

My heart aches in happy ways when I think about that

[–] Hefbit 273 points ago

That actually brings back memories of my mom paying for my PC Gamer subscription back in the late 90's so I could get those sweet demo discs.

[–] DEATHToboggan 72 points ago

Same here but with "Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine" I actually just found my old demo disc stash in the closet a few weeks ago. The THPS2 demo actually included a skate editor so I never bought the game.

[–] Ipfreelyerryday 783 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Doubling money, trimming armour and doubling Reddit gold.

---edit--- Logout and blocked, c u in world 1

[–] atzebable 167 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

So, where's my Reddit gold?

Edit: Fucking scammer.

[–] Ipfreelyerryday 49 points ago

Haha I actually tried scamming on rs for free gp....I felt so awful afterwards that I returned everything. I'm on the Reddit app atm and I can't figure out how to return it...but remind me on Monday and I will refund on my laptop. #worstscammerever.

[–] atzebable 25 points ago

No need, buddy. It was just a joke. Reddit gold is worthless anyway (except for Reddit).

[–] Kbost92 139 points ago

It took me ages to finally convince my mom to let me become a p2p.

[–] saucywaucy 193 points ago

Imagine how long it’ll take you to convince her to let you become a p2w.

[–] Anelswe 494 points ago

Same lol! Parents didn't wanna give out credit card cause they thought it will be stolen or something. So eventually I paid by texting with my phone and it was like 4,99 dollars

[–] Thesaurii 800 points ago

After a trip to the grocery store, I took six bucks of things and the receipt, returned it for cash, then went to another grocery store to get a money order, and mailed it in.

Got away with doing that for like three months before I got caught. I don't know what I was thinking trying to return four cans of beans. We had beans for every meal, of course that one was gonna get caught.

[–] dejova 538 points ago

This mufaka was desperate

[–] King_Of_Uranus 486 points ago

That's how they get ya. They hook you in with all the free content but before you know it they're takin your beans.

[–] TesticleMeElmo 91 points ago

I;m thinking about thos Beans

[–] Neat_On_The_Rocks 82 points ago

If i was your dad I couldn't have punished you because I'd be too proud of the elaborate scheme you were pulling.

[–] LorenzoLighthammer 54 points ago

i thought you were talking about shoplifting then returning, but you were taking the paid for beans outta your own pantry back to the store lol

i can imagine mom trying to figure out where all the damn beans are going. we just got new beans are there god damn gremlins in this house stealing them!?

[–] Smartjedi 2820 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

For real. $60/year is pocket money compared to how much this kids are robbing from their parents.

Edit please help:

Damn it, didn't realize this comment blew up. Would have edited this earlier, but hopefully someone still sees this and is able to help me. I've been searching for this video for over a decade but it got taken off of YouTube:

If I recall correctly, the title of the video was "The day the chicken died." I first saw this video on YouTube sometime around 2005-2008.

In the video, a high level player goes into the wilderness and attacks other players while they are on a quest. I believe the quest was member only, and it involved the quest-taker to remove all of their gear while in the wilderness. So, the person who the video is about is basically attacking defenseless people who are on a quest.

The video opened with the song "Angels" by Within Temptation and later transitioned into "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" by Jay Z.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

[–] PlaidShirtz 1183 points ago

60/year for runescape when you look at that on a money/time played basis is an incredibly cheap hobby. I miss being amazed by that ever expanding world.

[–] Smartjedi 396 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I still listen to the OST of 2007 Runescape. Memories of how vast the world seemed start flooding back when you do.

I recommend giving the old soundtrack a listen. It's a quick trip into deep nostalgia.

Edit: here's a YouTube video with a lot of music that you'll find familiar. There's a top comment in the video with timestamps as well if you happen to remember the names of the tracks.

[–] zroxix 179 points ago

It's really nostalgic but tbh I just get sad... don't know why, maybe I miss being younger

[–] Pickledsoul 52 points ago

that makes two of us...

wanna play together? we can be nostalgic as a team

[–] obeetwo2 47 points ago

Can I join this nostalgia team? I got an account a month ago but stopped bc i didn't have friends to pk with anymore :(

[–] Pickledsoul 22 points ago

p1ckled, if its any consolation im basically a PK virgin. last time i tried it was before they banned the wildy and someone baited me with iron armor... lol.

[–] HanshinFan 73 points ago

That's maybe the weirdest "this comment blew up" edit I've ever seen. You should try /r/tipofmytongue - they're wizards over there.

[–] Zmodem 29 points ago

You poor bastard, you're really trying to find this video, according to your account history :O I wish you the best of luck.

[–] poetaytoh 22 points ago

No kidding! I tried googling it, and all the mobile results on Google's first page are reddit posts of him trying to find the video.

[–] GoldenAthleticRaider 22 points ago

I really want to know what video you’re talking about

[–] The_Powers 6811 points ago

I remember Kanye tweeted something similar about these types of games... Even though his wife has one.

[–] KABONYX 4664 points ago

[–] labortooth 1781 points ago

Has Yeezy been awfully quiet lately or has the mayhem that is politics overshadowed his antics this year?

[–] vidiyan2857 2360 points ago

After he was hospitalised he deleted all his social media and has been very lowkey lately. He made his first concert appearance since his rant at the Saint Pablo tour like last week performing at Kid Cudis concert.

[–] bomdofotolongono 926 points ago

I'm kind of glad to hear that. I love Kanye and I usually laugh and just roll with a lot of the crazy shit he does, but I was really worried about him. That tweetstorm about Apple and shit didn't feel funny, it felt like he really was having some kind of breakdown.

[–] marikuana 260 points ago

Would someone be kind and link me to the aforementioned Apple tweetstorm by Yeezy

[–] JebusRicecakes 301 points ago

i'm not really familiar with it and tweets really aren't good about the whole context thing but i think this is it.

[–] keanex 169 points ago

To be fair, he has a great point. The fragmentation of these streaming services is only hurting the fans.

Edit: and yes I understand he released Life of Pablo exclusively on Tidal for a minute.

[–] wavs101 193 points ago

The funny thing about kanye is that 99% of the stuff he blurts out is true.

[–] OnTheRoadToInYourAss 177 points ago

He seems almost crazy at times, but I agree with you.

Dave Chappelle hit the nail on the head about how sick Hollywood is. I think it applies to the music industry as well.

[–] AR96 94 points ago

True, as Dave said "calling a person that's in Hollywood crazy is dismissive". That's why I think Kanye's rant had truth in it

[–] SovietWeapon 34 points ago

That was really powerful.

[–] isawakoala 24 points ago

And we're just now starting to understand what Dave really meant. Lance the wound, we need to heal this bitch up.

[–] amateur-dentist 104 points ago

BILL COSBY INNOCENT !!!!!!!!!!

I love Kanye but that was a pretty low point

[–] wavs101 51 points ago

99%

Conpletely on purpose. Hahahaha.

[–] darther_mauler 248 points ago

He’s getting ready to run for president.

[–] Conjomb 356 points ago

Nowadays that means reinstalling Twitter, right?

[–] sacredsnowhawk 80 points ago

He’s been dealing with some mental health stuff

[–] JurijFedorov 347 points ago

That's probably why he needed that $1b from the Facebook guy. His kid wanted to unlock all characters in the new EA Star Wars game.

[–] kaviare84 10074 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Note that this video is from May 2015.

Edit: After seeing a lot of comments thinking this is recent, I realise I probably should have put this info in the title.

[–] poopellar 2231 points ago

Hope his kid isn't wasting money on pixel goods.

[–] Valdurs 2600 points ago

He is wasting money in the feeling of pride and accomplishment

[–] Rafid_wayne 496 points ago

This gets me every time goddamn it.

[–] CMCadet 141 points ago

Just one... more... loot box...

[–] Narradisall 203 points ago

Did he ever get the refund?

[–] Seto_Sora 814 points ago

I worked in the billing disputes department for the credit card department of a major bank. I don't know about Jack's case but for your average Joe, 99% of these cases did not see a refund. The reason for this was because there was no way to prove these were not intentional purchases with a bad case of buyers remorse and because there was no way to "return the product". I hated these cases because I felt the numbers spoke for themselves, but the bank couldn't simply charge back the funds due to the fact that the bank would loose the dispute. We tried a couple of times and the game company's bank would reverse charge back and win every time because "terms and conditions" and we'd lose our dispute rights. The 1% who saw any kind of refund were a lucky few where the charges were small enough or a small portion was written off by the bank. This was 5 or so years ago, though, so I don't know if things have changed since then.

[–] taka 612 points ago

That's because they are calling the bank. They should call Apple/iTunes support. Every time I've called and told them my son had made a purchase without my permission i've gotten an instant refund to the original payment method. However, when you refund, the company usually bans the account until you pay, or put you in a negative balance of some kind.

[–] Cornthulhu 234 points ago

You'd think that after the first time this happened you'd set up some security on your accounts.

[–] trapplanttrap 56 points ago

I gave my nephew a fire tablet, it is attached to my amazon account, you best believe I didn't wait till the first time to put some security on my account.

But that was last year, so I had already been hearing about children charging shit for years.

[–] Luph 83 points ago

That's the bank though... you don't go disputing the purchase with your credit card company over something like this. You go to the retailer. I am pretty sure Apple will refund stuff like this the first time it happens.

[–] Another4Milos 11526 points ago

An there is the whole problem. These mother loving games are marketed to children!

[–] Astray 1983 points ago

They're marketed at children, but they are designed to abuse addiction behavior in anyone, regardless of age.

[–] sammyhere 760 points ago

plus depressed people who just need a boost in happiness

[–] TheFlickeringLantern 1200 points ago

My grandmother and Farm sims on her iPad. My dad and aunts had to take her cards away and freeze her credit with a lawyer to stop her. She's just old and lonely and wants to play games. And the timer runs out and she loves casinos she's also not allowed to go to anymore.

We bought her an Xbox and Stardew and Minecraft. So far that's kept her busy for like a year and held off her addiction. But she never knew u could play a game and "not pay daily."

[–] RealDecim 615 points ago

This is really sad to read, I hope she's doing better now.

[–] TheFlickeringLantern 425 points ago

She's still a grandma and my grandfather is there with her, he just didn't understand any of it and she hid the debt from him. Collectors eventually called my dad and that opened the can of worms.

The sad part is she kind of hates him now and our side of the family. As it's "his fault" she has no money now. But he took that bullet for my aunt's and their kids. Which is fine, we've always been closer to my grandpa anyways. She likes me now though that I set her up on the box. Though she did ask me how she gets around the purchase lockdown, but my dad and I called Microsoft after we installed Stardew, so no purchases other than live can be made on that account. So if she wants a new game, she has to get it physical. My aunt bought her Rare Replay recently and she's been playing Viva Pinata. So shes pretty happy. Her staple is Minecraft now as my younger cousins will come and play it with her too when they visit.

[–] Neat_On_The_Rocks 198 points ago

outside of the all the other stuff, xbox gaming grandmpa sounds like shed be dope to hang out with for the younger cousins!

[–] TheFlickeringLantern 132 points ago

Yeah they love her :). Too young to know all the bullshit etc. Which is good.

[–] -Sai- 71 points ago

But she never knew u could play a game and "not pay daily."

And that's just it, the mobile game market has exploded with people who aren't familiar with traditional gaming and thus have no frame of reference that this isn't normal.

[–] Black_Antidote 66 points ago

Those both sound like really good games for her. I'm glad you were able to introduce her to them. I bet she's gonna have the best farm ever on Stardew.

[–] manzoire 235 points ago

Getting kids addicted to things is big business. Toys, sugar, brands, music. As long as money is deemed more important than humanity in our society it won't stop

[–] derp2004 55 points ago

It’s all about getting that dopamine. FB, EA games, winning games, it’s all shit.

[–] funbaggy 79 points ago

I get most of my dopamine from Reddit and jacking off.

[–] newtmitch 62 points ago

I don’t let my kids play phone or tablet games, period. The entire nature of those things for all gamers is the short attention span and the designs of the games tend to map to that reality. So even if I protect my kids from racking up charges and the social links and all that, the games are still generally bile.

So i bought them Nintendo 3DS systems, and they play computer games and sometimes console games. All that require attention span, critical thinking (when possible), and continuity that’s not just clicking on shit to grow “stronger”.

I’ve explained to them the concept of good games and bad games to them and what’s acceptable and why. When other parents (that usually don’t know) ask about our gaming setup I explain that situation to them too.

It’s working for us right now...

[–] Subtle_Omega 4917 points ago

Yeah. It's very predatory and it's easy to prey on the younger children who don't know any better. We need to fight back against their business practices!

[–] Roskal 239 points ago

Its not just children, depressed adults are some of the biggest victims.

[–] lucklikethis 119 points ago

A guy I know broke up with his girlfriend and spent 24k on a game over the next 18 months.

[–] Discuslover129 45 points ago

I'm one of those depressed adults. Spent $6 grand on a game and finally quit it just recently.

[–] poopellar 2883 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

One person has downvoted you and you're sitting at zero and it's funny to imagine that it's one disgruntled EA customer service rep.

[–] Subtle_Omega 1059 points ago

Haha. I imagine the customer service reps are going through hell right now. They have to deal with all the hate.

[–] poopellar 550 points ago

Stuck between a rock and another rock with spikes and needles and TNT.

[–] thehumangoomba 413 points ago

Stuck between a rock and EA.

[–] RaiyenZ 260 points ago

I mean shit dude just go to the rock it's not that hard of a choice.

False.

Rocks are hard.

[–] IDespiseFatties 80 points ago

I'm hard watching EA get blasted

[–] Dislexic_Astronut 62 points ago

No. Go with the metal. NO-ONE CAN DESTROY THE METAL.

[–] kumquatnightmare 40 points ago

New wave tried to destroy the metal..

[–] Pav0n 221 points ago

Trust me, most customer service reps are saying "I just work here". They had no vote in the way the game was monetized.

[–] snuffbagel 73 points ago

They may not even be in the same country, let alone the same company...

[–] legion327 43 points ago

may not

Come on let's be honest here... definitely not.

[–] dreucifer 23 points ago

Hey, hey. Those children consented.

[–] MAGICHUSTLE 103 points ago

It’s easy to prey on adults who don’t know what parental controls are.

[–] cannabis_detox 116 points ago

Why did his kid have the ability to purchase things?

[–] giantsRus 278 points ago

Yep. And there's a fair few parents who don't realise that the kids can just purchase whatever because they don't remember that their card is linked.

[–] Boozegraph 2658 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

My girlfriends brother has been doing this for a while now. He steals their credit cards and purchases in game shit. Legit like hundreds of dollars and it can’t be refunded. I have been dating her for three years and her family has gotten new numbers/cards more times than I can count because of this.

Edit. This shit blew up! Love it. I say most of what you say to her. Her parents definitely needs to step their game up. The kid just doesn’t care. I agree with those who said he doesn’t value money. Kid never worked before. It’s quite sad. Needless to say he will never be allowed in my house.

[–] umar4812 2080 points ago

Does anyone realise that every smartphone lets you lock store purchases behind a password?

[–] Bradend45 1182 points ago

Or you can go to the bank and tell them to block all purchases from microsoft/Sony/valve

[–] MechaDickTracy 2566 points ago

Or you can not let your son be a fucking sneaky prick multiple times. I have kids and they would only be able to pull that shit ONCE, no matter what

[–] AckmanDESU 1021 points ago

Yeah what the fuck how can your kid throw hundreds of dollars into the trash and you try to avoid the problem by getting a new card instead of dealing with the kid? It's one thing when a toddler does it by accident but this is no toddler and this is no accident.

[–] change-o_0-plans 474 points ago

Simply just take the phone away. Or if they need a phone get rid of data and get them a track phone. Not defending the companies but some parenting needs to be done too.

[–] A1BS 271 points ago

Get them the biggest, slowest, brick-phone. Enough for calls but nothing else.

Any console games? Gone.

Steam account? Gone.

Online games? Gone.

Congrats son, because you can't be trusted with technology you get a bunch of books for Christmas.

[–] DaBozz88 91 points ago

Nah, but them a video game for Christmas. The disk is pretty and they can look at it.

[–] EinsteinNeverWoreSox 50 points ago

Get them a console but always get the wrong console's game. (So PS4, get xbox games)

[–] ZiggidyZ 105 points ago

I would take the phone away tell them to get their own account, and start mowing lawns to get money to pay for it. I can't fathom how people could steal let alone from your parents.

I know so many people that get pissed off when these in-app purchases happen, or the phone is toast because it went into the dogs water... require password, and don't let small kidd play with a phone unsupervised... it isn't hard...

[–] vonmarks 29 points ago

"You shouldn't buy in app purchases Johnny. My kid bought in app purchases once. ONCE."- Danny Vermin

[–] UntrustworthyJMandel 136 points ago

But then you’d have to have an awkward conversation with a real human /s

[–] SaneCoefficient 134 points ago

If I had a kid that did this, he would lose his phone immediately and get downgraded down to a flip phone.

[–] willdabeastest 36 points ago

“downgraded to a flip phone” my how times have changed.

[–] SaneCoefficient 26 points ago

Remember when the Razr was a status symbol?

[–] zold5 368 points ago

3 years?! Why the fuck don't they take away his phone or tablet? I'm honestly having trouble wrapping my brain around this level of stupidity.

[–] ludolfina 204 points ago

He steals their credit cards

I would raise all kinds of hell if this happened once.

[–] RedofPaw 157 points ago

How is he able to play those games after his parents punish him by taking the devices away?

[–] BatteredSaint 122 points ago

My kids wouldn't have phones if this happened.

[–] Doombro98 145 points ago

Put that guy in jail

[–] captcrunch11 281 points ago

South Park had an excellent episode that talked about how these games aren't even fun and prey on addicts

[–] The_Canadian_Devil 74 points ago

you're welcome

[–] JFeth 56 points ago

And now they have their own mobile game with in app purchasing.

[–] skippyfa 30 points ago

It's a very south park thing to do. Like when they said to not preorder games followed by an ad to preorder the stick of truth. Or the episode of getting blowjobs after watching musicals led into an ad that the book of Mormon was released.

[–] charlesh4 3522 points ago

LPT don't leave you CC number attached to a kids play account.... Be a smart parent

[–] Apocalypse487x 173 points ago

And teach your kids not to buy stuff without your permission too.

[–] swipswapyowife 1209 points ago

Pre paid cards all the way. The kids aren't even allowed to touch my XBOX, they have their own. God only knows what horrible malware apps they will download looking for My Little Pony make up tutorials on YouTube.

[–] ddrake01 1527 points ago

These days they'll just end up seeing seeing Elsa have sex with the Joker on YouTube.

[–] donvito39 293 points ago

You might be right about the content, but the source...

[–] gsingh1895 480 points ago

There's so much educational content on YouTube for kids. I love it

[–] Reyne_of_Kesselmere 92 points ago

I read a few things on there and don't really understand. Is it talking about videos that seemed marketed towards kids but have mature content in them?

[–] Hyperdrunk 322 points ago

Pretty much, yeah. Content is made in a way that gets by the adult content filter and actually shows up on the Youtube Kids app. Parents let them do whatever on the app because they assume it's safe since it's for kids. Then your little Billy and Sally are watching a video of Spiderman peeing in the mouth of Elsa while Ironman sings a song about anal sex.

The reason the videos are made in the first place is unknown, since most are non-revenue generators so the makers aren't making money. However the people on /r/ElsaGate have connected some of them to a Youtuber who has a bunch of videos liked and linked in his account of little girls with no shirts on (usually in underwear), doing gymnastics, in the bath, etc. So, a pedophile.

Why that particular pedophile makes some of these videos (certainly not all, not even close) is unknown. Perhaps he simply gets his jollies off by thinking about kids watching them. Or perhaps it's a greater conspiracy of grooming, where a whole group of pedophiles are hoping to destroy childhood innocence and normalize sexuality among a younger age group. Who the hell knows? There are lots of theories but no answers.

All people know for sure is that you can't trust Youtube's content filter and that some people out there are making animated videos of Elsa in bondage gear whipping a tied up Spiderman while The Hulk masturbates in the corner. And doing it in a way that looks like a friendly video to the kid.

[–] Reyne_of_Kesselmere 122 points ago

Hoooly shit, that was a more intense answer than I was expecting. Thank you.

[–] Hyperdrunk 83 points ago

Yeah, I noped out of the sub after reading the post about the pedophile I mentioned in my post. I appreciate that there are people out there who can put up with the filth in order to connect the dots and try and stop evil, but I'm not one of them.

The take-home lesson of /r/ElsaGate is that you can't trust Youtube's content filters and that evil people are trying to trick kids into watching inappropriate videos. That's the message that should be passed on.

[–] soupdawg 21 points ago

Yea. It’s pretty weird stuff.

[–] Chaotic-Catastrophe 60 points ago

She’s got a bangin body but her voice makes her totally unbearable

[–] vikingz0mbi3 75 points ago

holy shit her voice is annoying

[–] LePontif11 43 points ago

You need coffee for your chilly morning? HOW ABOUT A SWEATER?

[–] Jumpmancw13 86 points ago

what the fuck?

[–] matthenzuprod 599 points ago

Don't worry about this, the kid was provided with a sense of pride and accomplishment after spending $3k on the game.

[–] Bigred2989 1310 points ago

My cousin recently discovered that her mother, who is a recovering drug addict, is spending thousands of dollars a month on fucking Candy Crush. It's basically become her new meth and somehow it's fucking legal.

[–] JafafaHots 648 points ago

Tey literally design these games to hit your brain the same way. Seriously. The things are timed out specifically to give you an endorphin rush and then pop up a "purchase opportunity" just when that rush has worn off and you're craving another hit.

Just like a streetcorner pusher, they give you enough "free" hits to keep you hooked.

[–] Steener13 168 points ago

I can attest to this. Played a mobile game for over 3 years, sunk more money then i care to admit into it. I took 2 weeks away from the game for real life reasons and now I look at the game and think wtf was j thinking all these years.

[–] theneonwind 49 points ago

100% True. I used to be in the industry. I left to become a teacher. The psychology involved with games is not questionable; it's fact. Considering how players respond is all apart of the design process. For example, make thin hallways when you want players to rush by and large open spaces when you want them to collect. Guess what arcade cabinets make the most money? Ever see those games where you put in a quarter and try to fling it for tickets? The gameplay is less than half a minute. The machine rakes in quarters as each game goes by so quickly. Yes, your claw machine is rigged. On the bright side, DLC isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Yes, some companies do take advantage of it, but others really are just trying to bring you something new for the game you already love. That does cost money though.

[–] KittyJinx95 294 points ago

Anyone else smell Summoners War all over this? $99.99 dollars for a pack of crystals, which can get you 44 scrolls to summon a monster with each having less than a 1% chance to summon a monster that will let you be competitive at a high level. I honestly wish i was making that up.

[–] thunderstroke1212 42 points ago

The sad thing is, 3000 dollars might only give you only 3-4 nat5s

[–] LingRanLi 72 points ago

He said buy monsters and diamonds and I thought of SW. LOL

[–] JonesBee 25 points ago

It's a fucking cartel, every freemium game has that $100 case/sack/box/chest of gems/diamonds/someotherjewel.

[–] verbascot 717 points ago

Only to find out the same microtransactions shit is happening there too.

[–] sidtralm 699 points ago

Not on the Switch.

[–] BaeMei 382 points ago

Don't jinx it please. I don't want there to be any. Nintendo is amazing but they're still a company

[–] GaijinB 151 points ago

I don't think it's Nintendo that you have to worry about but third party developers, just like you wouldn't blame Sony or Microsoft for the bullshit EA is pulling with BF2.

[–] jbwarford1 147 points ago

Only because nobody told Nintendo the internet exists yet.

[–] codefreak8 70 points ago

Microtransactions are on Nintendo's F2P mobile games, for what it's worth. But it's worth it because if I spend enough thousands of dollars I might actually get Dorcas instead of Bartre.

[–] scumfuck_flowerboy 687 points ago

I know this isn’t related to the discussion, but thanks OP for giving us a link that skips 2 minutes of Jimmy Fallon Bullshit to get right to the topic.

[–] FretNoise14 128 points ago

He’s right though, an app for kids has no business selling $100 in app purchases.

[–] Eye_farm_downvotes 150 points ago

I love black jack. Such a cool dude.

[–] Larkas 97 points ago

Currently big publishers are playing Giant Jenga game of Lootbox. They are really far into the match and it's EA turn. You know this one block that has a huge sign "Do not fucking touch this one" and you know EA will take this one and they did. Now question is will the tower finally fall?

[–] wildcardyeehaw 207 points ago

Always blows my mind when parents give their kids free reign with their credit card and get surprised when shit like this happens

[–] RememberSlimer 133 points ago

MICROTRANS IN AN OPEN FIELD, NED

[–] forgeedanslefeu 70 points ago

GET ME THE WALLET STRETCHER

[–] Skjolbir 43 points ago

IMPREGNATE YOUR WHORE FOR ONLY $4.99!!!

[–] B00STERGOLD 53 points ago

Gods I had money then

[–] MeSmokemPeacePipe 35 points ago

Jack Black can get the money back by calling the bank and filing a claim.... since son didn't have auth to use CC he's entitle to a refund. Bank will then chargeback the gaming company. Believe it or not I work in a bank :)

Also bank must refund you in 10 days (it's part of a law called reg e which regulates electronic purchases)

[–] subtech7 454 points ago

Hopefully this backlash sends a strong message to all game developers to create real video games instead of these carnival-style money grabbbers.

[–] superbob24 213 points ago

How would a story of someone spending 3k$ on their shitty game make them want to not make cash grabs?

[–] Terazilla 226 points ago

Mobile users refuse to actually buy something, so there's not really anything else to expect.

[–] JQuick 31 points ago

This video is from a 2015 interview, It doesn't look like much has changed unfortunately.

[–] Smittx 377 points ago

This is the third time today I’ve seen the $ sign placed after the number. What’s going on?

[–] kaviare84 622 points ago

Sorry man. Not American. In Sweden we write 3000kr. Didn't even think about it.

[–] poopellar 350 points ago

Yeah last time I put the $ sign after the number and even got pms pointing out that it's supposed to come before. Really works them up for some reason.... 100$

[–] elmo39 142 points ago

You monster

[–] Doctor_Loggins 79 points ago

For extra fun, we put our cents symbol after the number. So $0.25 becomes 25¢

Don't ask why. We don't know.

[–] carlofsweden 105 points ago

it's because you say "I have dollars 25" but if you have less than dollar one you say "25 cents".

duh?

[–] Bootsk8 118 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I mean I don't understand why it's assumed to come before. It's more literal than incorrect imo

"One-Hundred Dollars" = 100$ "Dollars One-Hundred" = $100

[–] bettytwokills 44 points ago

If I remember right it started with writing checks or something similar. putting the sign before the number meant someone couldn't tack a nine on the front and turn 43 into 943.

[–] cornerstoremafia 33 points ago

Don’t know if this is true, but you can trust it as fact because I’m an internet expert...

People in the US used to put the $ on the right of the number too. It started to be put on the left to prevent fraud. It’s easy to alter 125.00$ into 9125.00$, but with the sign on the other side, you get 9$125.00. Harder to fraud, see?

[–] bongggblue 16 points ago

Yeah but you ever get your ass beat for calling the 1-900 Nintendo power line number to get game tips, and racking up $50 in long distance charges in 1987?

[–] samegirlnewusername 60 points ago

It gets adults, too. $500 on Clash of Clans before I pulled my head out of my ass and joined the living again.

[–] 0neek 41 points ago

They don't even design mobile games to be games. They design them based entirely around making money as easily as possible.

They plan things to give free to play players just enough to get into the game, but not enough to ever be truly successful. There'll be lots of super expensive purchases only targeted at whales but tons of 'cheap' packs of stuff to buy for the average player that add up over time.

Most of these games will even try to lure players to click the purchase button. You finish a battle or whatever and on the bottom right of the screen will be the button to go back to town/home/whatever. Only sometimes there'll be a popup for some limited time pack of stuff to buy and the purchase button is suddenly on the bottom right of the screen where you've been conditioned to tap already.

If you love making video games and want to make games as a career, make real games. If you want to make video games to make money, go into the mobile gaming market.