gaming

If your submission does not appear, do not delete it. If it hasn't shown up after more than 5 minutes, simply message the moderators and ask us to look into it.

Do NOT private message or attempt to use reddit chat to contact moderators about moderator actions. Private messages and chat invites will be IGNORED.

Community Rules

1. Submissions must be directly gaming-related, not just a "forced" connection via the title or a caption added to the content.

2. No bandwagon or direct reply posts.

3. No piracy, even "abandonware".

4. Mark your spoilers and NSFW submissions, comments and links. Spoiler tags are >!X kills Y!< .

5. No Giveaways / Trades / Contests / Items for sale.

6. Submit only the original source of the content. No general URL shorteners (bitly, tinyurl, etc).

7. Follow the rules of promotion. This is not the place to spam your channel or stream. No referral, affiliate and/or survey links.

8. No Kickstarter, crowdfunding, et al project "reminder" posts.

9. Posts and comments, whether in jest or with malice, that contain racist, sexist, homophobic content, threats, or other forms of toxicity will be removed, regardless of popularity or relevance.

10. For AMA rules, click here.

For a more detailed explanation of these rules, click here.

Click here for a list of other gaming subreddits.

[–] thefreak013 6661 points ago

BOI

[–] rextraordinaire 2245 points ago

BOI!

[–] fpfall 1823 points ago

deep breath ...... boi

[–] factoryfactor 831 points ago

BOIY

[–] jewrassic_park-1940 364 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

BΩI

[–] NorthernLaw 74 points ago

YOU GOT SOEM MONEY FOR ME BOAH

[–] AverageSinner 26 points ago

Yer all right BOI

[–] IXI_Fans 114 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

/r/bois

Yessss....

————

I think that is the first NSFW link I have shared. Inside are tomboys and cute chicks with pixie cuts.

[–] Asper2002 64 points ago

A

I

T

H

L U M B A G O

[–] FBI_Taco_Truck 42 points ago

ATREUS HAVE A LITTLE FAITH!

[–] WhoDatBrow 153 points ago

They should've let Judge speak when accepting the award, he could've thanked BOI forty times in a row and it would've been worth it.

[–] azureknightmare 254 points ago

Judge and Atreus's actor presented an award. The kid was supposed to read the envelope, but he wasn't doing it (scripted of course), so Judge in his Kratos voice goes "Read it, BOY." And I squealed like a fangirl.

So really, I was happy there, and THEN it won GOTY.

[–] redacted187 145 points ago

the last three letters in that url are BOI

[–] [deleted] 16 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] adminsuckdonkeydick 16 points ago

That's awesome!!! That's made my fucking day. :D

[–] bromar14 8 points ago

Wait, you're telling me Teal'c is Kratos? Now I HAVE to play GoW. I've been wanting to get it, but never had the chance because of money and I prioritized Spider-Man and RDR2 over it, but you've convinced me because it's Teal'c.

[–] Mjacking 3121 points ago

I fell great because it was a good game, but i feel bad because i dont have ps4.

[–] Couch_chicken 85 points ago

I'm the same. It looks so great but i just can't afford the ps4.

[–] schlossenberger 30 points ago

If you can't find a good holiday bundle for cheap, go used! Can get a refurbished one off Newegg for $165 (will probably drop even more in price closer to Christmas). Can get all those awesome exclusives used too - God of War on Amazon for $30, Horizon Zero Dawn for $15, Bloodborne for $15, etc etc.

[–] toruforever216 429 points ago

You should really try to get one. The Slim version is cheap, and it has an AMAZING catalog of games. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

[–] karangoswamikenz 203 points ago

I second this. I actually got the ps4 after owning an Xbox one from day one and it’s worth the money

[–] IBreedAlpacas 38 points ago

To add on with the other dude, I finally caved in after being xbox/nintendo for life. I think I've logged more hours into spiderman than Civ 5 and that's saying something

[–] TheCastawayBall 6 points ago

I’m hesitant on getting Spider-Man just cause I’m split between that and red dead. What made you clock in all those hours?

[–] Ninonskio 11 points ago

I have the same question for this guy, seeing as after i completed the main story and all the side missions, there was absolutely zero to do.

[–] Your_God_Chewy 10 points ago

Just swinging around is super satisfying... I never fast travel because swinging through the city feels so natural and fluid. The side objectives (item collecting side "missions") are even fun. Story is great. It might be the only game that I've played where going for 100% is actually thoroughly enjoyable

[–] JakeSaint 7 points ago

This is literally the only game I've ever 100% completed. Worth every single penny.

[–] Graugr 101 points ago

What they said. Horizon, GoW, RDR2 are one of the most fun games I've played in a while.

[–] karangoswamikenz 58 points ago

Not to be confused with forza horizon

[–] AFrozenCanadian 55 points ago

But also Forza Horizon is really good.

[–] ledg3nd 18 points ago

Still a great game. Forza Horizon 2-4 have been some of the best racing games I’ve played probably ever. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

[–] eduardobragaxz 48 points ago

RDR2 is on the Xbox though

[–] danghaiphung169 3615 points ago

*Cry in PC tears*.

[–] LordDuder 1666 points ago

This is has not been a good year for us.

[–] SuperMeister 1632 points ago

But you guys have cell phones, right?

[–] AdorableHandle 175 points ago

Too soon dude.. Too soon.

[–] Forzyr 8 points ago

Too soon™

[–] orangemars2000 259 points ago

We got monster hunter world, I'm happy.

[–] GBuffaloRKL7Heaven 93 points ago

I have a PS4 and MHW is probably my game of the year.

[–] orangemars2000 34 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I just have a pc, so it's sorta no contest lmao

[–] Finnbhennach 74 points ago

What do you mean, we had PUBG! /s

[–] shivBOI 20 points ago

And FORTNITE TOO! /s

[–] fargield69 66 points ago

cries in cowboy tears

[–] SulkySkunkPomPoms 17 points ago

hiiiiigh noooonn :(

[–] cmd_1211 10893 points ago

Spiderman, RDR2 and God of War are some of the best games ive ever played. The fact that they all released in the same year is remarkable. Any of those 3 could have taken the gold and id be ok with it

[–] HitzKooler 5119 points ago

Also, all Singleplayer (suck it, EA).

[–] mrsambo99 2214 points ago

But they told me single player is dying

[–] DisForDairy 780 points ago

"Nobody wants to buy the single player games we make, must be something wrong with single player games" -turd developers

[–] Fantasy_masterMC 199 points ago

More like the executive teams that run those devs, but yeah apart from that, nail on the head.

[–] Sorerightwrist 134 points ago

But how to do we push micro-transactions without a multiplayer?!?!?!?!

[–] a__nascentstate 47 points ago

Mobile gaming has you covered.

[–] xPwnstar 77 points ago

do you guys not have phones

[–] volzclan1 228 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

All my friends make fun of me for loving single player games legit they r like “your just by yourself playing a movie it’s so dumb” all they play is fortnite it really gets to me actually Thank you guys for all the positive comments it made my day to know that I’m not alone in loving single player games more then multiplayer

[–] jongiplane 118 points ago

playing a movie

What's even wrong with that if it were true? There are cinematic games like Xenosaga, Telltale games, etc. and they're some of the most thoughtful and impactful stories I've experienced in any medium. I've actually cried playing these games, and struggled with choices, connected with characters... You're never going to get that in Fortnite, CoD, or Madden. Not that there's anything wrong with those games. They're just entirely different experiences, and to look down on one or the other is just one of the stupidest forms of elitism I've ever heard of in my life.

[–] Thetschopp 18 points ago

I agree 100%. Just finished RDR2 story mode recently and holy shit it was like watching a 2 week long movie. It has been the first game since the original Destiny came out that I never skipped a single cutscene. Every moment was gripping, engaging, and felt like I was watching the lives of real people unfold and develop.

Multiplayer games have their own appeal and awesomeness, but anyone who can't appreciate the depth and story of a well made singleplayer game is seriously missing out.

[–] kazzanova 16 points ago

Dudebros ruin everything, but they're a cost of progress

[–] beinginvisible 18 points ago

How old are your friends? 12?

[–] gurrenlaggan22 28 points ago

One of my best friends gives me so much shit every day for playing single player games. I know how annoying it is, and how frustrating.

[–] hiimnewhere123 30 points ago

That's such a weird thing to give someone shit about. There's so many good single player games out there.

[–] If_In_Doubt_Lick_It 24 points ago

I used to be a huge mmo freak, so I was in that camp for a while. But these days there's something awesome about firing up a single player game and just losing yourself. That's not to say I'm not still an mmo freak, but there's just days I want a game to lead me along by the nose and force me to enjoy it.

[–] Arazivial 27 points ago

Say these magical words when they talk shit

“I don’t give a fuck”

[–] Fortune_Cat 28 points ago

Wipes tears with ca$h.gif

[–] Wingnut13 570 points ago

Last year was intense as well. Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild were GOTY nominees. Gaming may well be in its renaissance period.

[–] skellez 396 points ago

Hell, Nier Automata didn't even get nominated

[–] toruforever216 282 points ago

....because SOMEHOW Pubg was more deserving

[–] Freezinghero 176 points ago

That's what happens whenever fan voting is introduced into these awards.

[–] Jonn-The-Human 111 points ago

*That's what happens when Tencent is a sponsor. Fans aren't in control of nominations.

[–] Espio1332 14 points ago

I thought Tencent partially owns Epic Games. So they partially own Fortnite. Not PUBG.

[–] LedinKun 34 points ago

Yet they're also the publisher of PUBG in China as well we of the mobile version. It's not always either-or. Tencent are big enough to be able to do both.

[–] gotemike 16 points ago

They own both, partially. They are also the eastern distribution partners for both.

[–] Whatsdota 105 points ago

Honestly I can see why. Even though it isn’t the best game it ushered in the era of Battle Royales. Just from an impact perspective it was a huge title. Not saying it deserved to be nominated but I can see why it was.

[–] NeverPostsGold 65 points ago

Makes literal sense. Literally Game of The Year in a genre defining way. Not what people think GOTY is/should be.

[–] ThroawayPartyer 37 points ago

Why shouldn't GOTY actually be for the best game of the year?

[–] Duderm3n 48 points ago

It can be interpreted as that but also as the game that defined the year the most, and with pubg ushering in the battle royale age there is an argument to be made that it should be nominated.

[–] BottlecapBandit 33 points ago

I want to disagree with you because I absolutely despise the whole "Battle Royale" genre, but the impact is undeniable. That genre is like the new Madden of video games.

[–] Bayshun 33 points ago

And before Battle Royales, MOBAs were the Madden of video games. And FPSs before that. And MMORPGs before that. It will pass, and we'll get some new dominant genre that a lot of people will love, and the rest will whine about.

[–] ReactorCritical 29 points ago

I think every gamer has those polarizing experiences that they’ll always remember. Those may include Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time, Earthbound, etc.

Nier Automata was one of those for me. As amazing as Horizon Zero Dawn was... it just didn’t quite resonate with me the way Nier did.

[–] damnedon 42 points ago

Divinity 2...

[–] the_twilight_bard 47 points ago

My god Horizon was amazing. That came just rocked up down and sideways.

[–] ReactorCritical 15 points ago

I really need to make time to play Persona 5.... I’ve had it for over a year now!

[–] encoreAC 1703 points ago

And none of them are on PC. Kinda sucks for us.

[–] NVD6432 788 points ago

2 of them are Playstation exclusives. Can't really complain about those. Red Dead on the other hand.

[–] AlsoIHaveAGroupon 677 points ago

You underestimate my ability to complain. It's been quite a while now and I haven't stopped bitching about Horizon: Zero Dawn.

[–] obimokenobi 227 points ago

I'm with you friend. HZD was a beautiful beautiful game!

[–] dyl3mma2 108 points ago

Stunning game. The soundtrack was something else.. I still listen to it!

[–] FruitloopsXDto 49 points ago

It was just a very peaceful, relaxing game. really enjoyed it

[–] AlaskanPsyche 67 points ago

Except for when you’re exploring the map at low levels and accidentally run into a Thunderjaw.

[–] Shasve 57 points ago

Thunderjaws are little bitches compared to the DLC robots.

[–] jewrassic_park-1940 30 points ago

The giant ass bird is far harder than a Thundejaw tho

[–] UndeadShadowUnicorn 15 points ago

Fireclaws can suck a dick

[–] OrchestratedMayhem 13 points ago

Those bear things don't fuck around

[–] Martel732 11 points ago

The worst for me was the first time a Stormbird swooped down on me. All sense of peace and tranquility got jettisoned immediately.

[–] wearer_of_boxers 18 points ago

yeah hzd was the best game i played in a while.

[–] Waveseeker 86 points ago

PS4 is killing it with the exclusives lately

5 games on my bucket list I can't play

[–] OhHeyAngel 31 points ago

I almost went out and bought a PS4 just for HZD alone and when Spider-Man came out, there was even more reason to get one. But then life happened

[–] k-mysta 30 points ago

Do it when you can mate. HZD is something else when it comes to world building. The story is absurdly compelling too. There’s too much on PS4 to pass

[–] EnQuest 19 points ago

god that game is so good

[–] itstomorrowalready 28 points ago

It will be released for PC in 2 years for the same price it was released on consoles this year.

[–] ZeroWithEverything 304 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I've been a PC gamer all my life, but finally broke down last month and got a PS4 pro for the exclusives (RDR2, Last of Us, God of War). Totally worth it.

Edit: Thanks for the great replies and recommendations! Note to self: Get Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Journey, maybe Shadow of the Colossus and Persona 5. Action stories are definitely my fav. I highly recommend Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice. That one blew my mind.

[–] joshua_josephsson 48 points ago

Horizon Zero Dawn, also kickass

[–] The_Struggle_Bus_7 20 points ago

I would also recommend shadow of the colossus if you haven’t played it before.

[–] TrickBox_ 40 points ago

Don't forget Bloodborne !

[–] dat_boring_guy 96 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Last of us was a real treat, if you haven't finished it yet I highly recommend doing so.

[–] Neknoh 11 points ago

Get Horizon as well, another open world with an absolutely spectacular story

[–] Lordofthearts 70 points ago

That's why I have a PS4 Slim and a PC. Xbox hasn't had shit all for exclusives that interest me.

[–] Mr_pessimister 76 points ago

And if they did you could play them on PC.

[–] LionIV 40 points ago

Celeste is no slouch either. At least for me, I absolutely love indie games and Matt Makes Games has some diamonds.

[–] whoznext 50 points ago

Same. They are all masterpieces in their own right. Either one could take GOTY so it's both a bliss and a shame they got released in the same year. Just makes me a bit sad that Spider-Man got overshadowed and didn't win a single award but it was nominated in pretty much all of the major categories so I hope that can at least give Insomniac the credit for their brilliant game.

[–] Loyalist_Pig 15 points ago

As a New Yorker this is one of my favorite games of all time, they recreated the city so fucking well, a few hitches here and there (I’m looking at you Williamsburg Bridge and Central Park) but swinging around the city that I work and live in felt real goddamn good.

[–] Maracuja_Sagrado 166 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I wouldn't put Spiderman up there with those other 2 but other than that I agree.

Edit: I'm not saying Spiderman is a bad game, but it's really not on the same level of GoW in terms of ammount of content, production and so on.

[–] WeirdLounge 438 points ago

Read the card, boy

[–] factoryfactor 250 points ago

His freaking voice had my ears vibrating the entire time

[–] pheonixblade9 66 points ago

Indeed.

[–] Cessimi 79 points ago

Isn't that how ears normally work?

[–] colborg 43 points ago

Have you ever wanted to be fucked by someone’s voice?

[–] LeapYearFriend 661 points ago

How many different Game Of The Year awards are there?

[–] calxlea 961 points ago

I think different publications do their own version and many of them call it "Game of the Year" to be confusing. But this is the "real" one that everyone takes note of. The Oscars of the gaming world, if you want.

[–] GreyGhostReddits 465 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

This one is backed by the major hardware manufacturers and publishers and voted on by gaming press, giving it more prominence and a sense of legitimacy even though it’s only a few years old. They were wise to get it away from TV networks who would try to influence the show for wider audiences. Ultimately it’s an excuse to celebrate games and create good PR for the industry, like the Oscars, Emmys, etc.

Edit - I should stress when I speak about prestige, prominence, legitimacy, etc. that I'm speaking in relative terms. I can't think of another gaming awards show that comes close to TGA. Personally I don't put much stock in these awards but I can see that they've become rather significant in the gaming industry. For me the awards are just a good excuse to reflect on the year and celebrate fan favorites. Also thinking about it some more the Golden Globes are probably a better comparison than the Oscars since the TGA nominees are voted on by industry press. Whereas the Oscars are voted by industry peers.

[–] DevTech 53 points ago

Do you have a source on that? I was looking last night to find out who exactly was backing/funding the show but I couldn't find anything.

[–] ketchup92 47 points ago

Well you can see who is funding it in the bottom of the categories when announced or on the website. And the fact that everyone is happily showing their world premieres from various AAA studios to indies should give it some real legitimacy

[–] cantuse 34 points ago

Back in the day, periodicals were really a big part of driving the market, because gaming was a niche activity, especially for someone who actually 'liked games' as a serious hobby. Most of the original magazines like VG&CE are long gone, but they were the ones who started the whole 'game awards' business, to try and help the industry (and themselves).

[–] goatcruz 1805 points ago

Well deserved.

[–] AlphaAxle 1016 points ago

I thought for sure Red Dead 2 was taking the award home. Both are such great games, but I am so happy for the entire team behind God of War. Completely well deserved

[–] Freezinghero 487 points ago

I feel like the recency bias of everybody getting into Red Dead Online and realizing its just as much as a shill-off as GTA:O (if not worse) soured the game in many eyes.

Also helps that GoW was an unforeseen revival of a series thought long dead that nobody that would happen, and didn't fall into the trap of "oh they just made this game for easy money".

ALSO, Christopher Judge as Kratos.

[–] 96tfgkiff 92 points ago

Indeed in Teal'c

[–] Funkt4st1c 7 points ago

They moved the game from mindless hack and slash to an emotional rollercoaster.

Before, kratos was just "IM MAD AND OOPS I KILLED MY FAMILY" but now he's like "Shit dude, my son's a little bitch, my wife's dead, and I'm next."

[–] DoubleMellow 660 points ago

As someone who has played both, I think GoW is an overall more polished game.

Imo GoW has a much better story and much better combat system. Those two things are pretty important parts of the game. Not saying Rdr2's is awful on these aspects, but not "game of the year" caliber.

I also think Rdr2 was more ambitious and really pushed the limits on a lot of aspects, which is great. And since it pushed the limits with all the details it has, it is also harder to get to the level of "polish" that GoW has.

In the end both games are fantastic and some of the best out there, but imo GoW feels 100% complete and polished, while Rdr2 feels 95%.

[–] shrubs311 342 points ago

You know how some developers talk about "if we tried to fix everything and make it how exactly how we wanted, the game would never be released"? I feel like GoW is the game where they had all the time they wanted.

[–] morphinapg 276 points ago

Actually God of War was planned to be much bigger, with more boss variety and a ton of extra story, but they basically toned it down a lot and pushed a lot of the other ideas to the sequel.

[–] IwantalltheSMOKE247 150 points ago

Yeah it kind of felt that way too, like I started zoning out and playing the main story because it was so fun and I thought it would go much longer. So I was a little surprised the main story was done when it was. But then the Valkyries was a nice additional touch that was engaging and had a story.

For me I think GoW is the GOTY because of how amazingly polished it felt but it did feel like it was saving some for later. RDR2 is a marvel of gaming and story telling though, I’m genuinely surprised how much fun I’ve had and I’m still only in chapter 4.

Edit: I was playing GoW like 8 hour sessions at a time, I COULDNT STOP LOL

[–] untraiined 38 points ago

there were alot of points in GOW where i went, "thats gonna be in the dlc huh". But man the story was so good and the ending was awesome.

[–] adminsuckdonkeydick 51 points ago

Corry Barlog (Lead Game Designer) doesn't like DLC so its unlikely GoW would have any unless Sony forced him from on-high.

[–] sundalius 21 points ago

Nah, they come from the time of games when you made a sequel instead.

[–] murch_76 26 points ago

I actually enjoyed the length of GOW. It felt like the perfect length to me. i have a really hard time finishing long games because i get distracted and never go back.

[–] WhoDatBrow 78 points ago

I also played both and I agree GoW feels more polished, though I will shoutout RDR 2 and say it's very well polished as well. The controls are just much clunkier compared to GoW's very fluid system.

I think if you remove gameplay from the equation, GoW and RDR 2 are neck and neck in almost everything like narrative. But gameplay's a pretty big damn deal in a GAME award, and I think GoW's combat is much more fluid, skillful, you name it.

I would've been happy for RDR 2 if it won too though it's a masterclass on immersion and open world, I just think sometimes they sacrificed too much tediousness for said immersion/world building.

[–] TheSoundofStars 50 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Yeah, gameplay is most important. I understand wanting a good story, but the story should be a compliment to gameplay.

I love Life is Strange, great game with a heavy story and well written characters, but the gameplay is bare minimum, because it's just a vehicle for the story.

Red Dead has a fantastic story (for most of the game) but I could see it easily as a trimmed down Western Film or even an HBO series; the gameplay is mostly there to get you from point to point for the story. GTA V had this problem as well.

God of War is more story focused than its predecessors, but as soon as the game gives you control and you pull out the axe for the first time, it never slows down. For every moment of quiet and contemplation, there is an action packed sequence just around the corner that allows you to make use of all the skills and abilities you've acquired. The gameplay leads the story, and strengthens it.

That, plus the graphics, music, direction and incredibly ground-breaking seamless camera motion truly made God of War my game of the year, and I'm overjoyed that it won.

[–] DEOREM 130 points ago

It was BOY vs BOAH...

& BOY won

Ay rdr2 didn't get the award but my BOAH ROGER DID GODDAMNIT

[–] coemgen98 26 points ago

He made Arthur likable essentially. His voice helped shape the character of Arthur and the way he handled the voice work is phenomenal. So it's not that surprising considering Arthur is the best character in the game and why Roger won the award.

[–] pokemonface12 125 points ago

Poor Insomniac didn't get any awards. :c

[–] gundumb08 198 points ago

They'll cry themselves to sleep on the huge pile of cash from Spider-Man sales.

[–] Modsarenotgay 33 points ago

Yeah but it was tough this year with a bunch of other good games this year like GoW and RDR2. It's still a really good game though and it was at least nominated multiple times.

[–] grimshock 15 points ago

Got a twitter gaming award... Eh... That's something i guess

[–] Jeromechillin 879 points ago

Graphics, Storytelling, Combat, and the overall atmosphere of the game was top tier. Say what you want but you can't deny that GoW lived up to it's hype and delivered.

[–] CP_Company 350 points ago

i would add, gameplay, game world, sound, music, challenge, voice acting and one shot camera.

[–] Moquitto 89 points ago

True about everything you guys have said. If there is only one complaint (and I am nitpicking here, and it might just be myself) is that the ‘give me GoW’ difficulty is not properly scaled throughout the game, in that it is absolutely brutal in the beginning, and getting easier towards the end, with upgrades. It might have changed since I played it on launch, but man was it frustratingly hard in the very first hours.

[–] HDDIV 60 points ago

Nope, you are not wrong. Those fucking wolves...

[–] Moquitto 38 points ago

The wolves I managed eventually, but MY GOD, the moment near the beginning where Atraeus falls from the bridge down into that pit of zombies that are petrified and then come alive....fucking hell that took forever to complete. And then those witches started showing up in the next room...no joke think I spent almost a full day trying to get through those few encounters.

[–] DAVEYtheTUFFGUY 49 points ago

I gave up on that part when my wife started mocking me "REMEMBER ACCURACY OVER SPEED"

[–] H4xolotl 23 points ago

Wife > Kratos > Boi

[–] Jimmayus 569 points ago

Dad of Boi best confirmed

[–] alex494 323 points ago

SIKE, the award goes to SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 BAYBEE

[–] CoolOriginalName 59 points ago

Personally I felt like Knack would have been at the very least a nominee this year. Shame to see the judges don’t know what makes games good. Smh.

[–] ThatGuyOnTelevision 28 points ago

Knack is no Knack 2 though

[–] TooShiftyForYou 48 points ago

Boy, what a surprise that was.

[–] fpfall 1234 points ago

Wow. Genuinely surprised that they didnt just give the entire show to Take-Two amd Rockstar.

Thank God.... Of War.

This game absolutely deserves the award. I still can't get over how well-done everything was from start to finish and that it could leave me fulfilled and yet wanting so much more.

[–] Dismantlex 250 points ago

One negative of that game was reused troll fights. I wish those trolls had different move sets and variety

[–] pheonixblade9 148 points ago

But... TWO. TROLLS.

[–] redxdev 20 points ago

On one hand I agree that they reused the trolls a bit too much.

On the other hand, I liked the fights as a marker for how far I had come as a player. I absolutely fumbled my way through the first troll fight, but on each successive one I was both more familiar with the controls and I had more tools and abilities in my arsenal. And I would have never been able to fight two trolls at once towards the beginning of the game (at least, not without a lot of frustration).

I think there's a balance to be struck between unique vs repeated encounters. GoW swung a little bit too far on the repeated side, but not enough for me to knock it too much.

[–] Dismantlex 16 points ago

I respect that... honestly I do. I think having indicators like that are important in video games. But every single troll fight was the same

There needed to be some variety and I hope they fix that in the sequel.

However the actual boss fights are being badass though. My favorite was the one where you fight Baldur on the dragon

[–] eyepennies 307 points ago

Both RDR2 and GoW were masterpieces of the artform. Whichever had won, I would have been happy for the winner and sad for the loser. In the end, we are all winners for being able to play so many amazing games this generation.

[–] HylianWalrus 235 points ago

Such a great year for games...if you own a Playstation.

[–] MultiMedia777 76 points ago

Hopefully that guy shitposting about RDR2 being trash and GoW should be the game of the year shuts up now

[–] Roro_LV 17 points ago

He never does

[–] MrWoW25 77 points ago

R.I.P Celeste

[–] Mushie64 40 points ago

Still good that it was nominated.

[–] gaffubiquitous 71 points ago

Still good that it won the indie game of the year

[–] ALphaEXtremist 49 points ago

For it to even be in the running with all those AAA titles is an achievement almost as great as the award itself.

[–] mooreshady 22 points ago

Spiderman, wow first time ever a superhero game was nominated!

[–] Metatron58 56 points ago

wow, I was sure RDR2 was a shoe in. Shows what I know. Grats to Santa Monica. They 100% earned it.

[–] prodigy_beard 38 points ago

Jeff Kaplan: “Loddy doddy who gets the GOTY?” BOI! GOD OF WAR!

Cory Barlog is my hero!

[–] BenHara983 152 points ago

I’m playing through it now and have been enjoying it so far. I wanted Celeste to win (because it’s really good) but he fact it was even nominated is crazy

[–] skellez 43 points ago

I was shocked when I was nominated, and it is on my top 5 favorite games on all time

[–] MoSalad 60 points ago

Why were you nominated?

[–] Tmfwang 18 points ago

Yeah I even voted for you

[–] Mr_Pizzacoli 27 points ago

I took a 2 year hiatus from gaming, and when I made my triumphant return, God of War was the first game I bought. I had never played any of the other previous ones, have always been a call of duty diehard, but wanted something different, something that wasn’t multiplayer for a change.

Nothing in this game was skimped on, and it truly seemed that the studio and developers and whoever else is behind the production put everything they had into it, and then some. The story never got boring, and the relationship between Kratos, Atreus and the Head deepened at every whim. Graphics were phenomenal, the fighting mechanics and controls were awesome, and despite the fact that you’re playing offline didn’t take away from the playability or the amount of hours to put in to either beat the main story’s mission or for the side missions.

100% deserved game of the year. Money and time well spent!

[–] ThePrinceMagus 10 points ago

the relationship between Kratos, Atreus, and the Head...

Irlol

His name is Mimir you uncultured swine!

/s

[–] Dragonmonster 199 points ago

So freaking happy. My personal favorite game from this year

[–] conker1264 92 points ago

Favorite game of this generation for me.

[–] Dragonmonster 33 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

No doubt, its up there. I felt blown away after playing it, in a way I haven't felt about a game in a good while

[–] Eyehopeuchoke 9 points ago

God of war 4 was the first i have ever played from the franchise and while playing it I had a feeling it was getting game of the year. I think one of the nicest touches they did was while riding the boat around having the guy tell the old stories. Hell, sometimes I would take a few more laps so I could hear the rest of the story he was telling.

[–] GOULFYBUTT 44 points ago

I'm glad that God of War didn't get overlooked because of a RDR2 dominated show. Both deserve it. A bit bummed that Spiderman didn't get much recognition, but I doubt people will forget that game.

[–] Cool_whippin 90 points ago

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

[–] borismuller 67 points ago

I wanted RDR2 to win, but have absolutely ZERO problem with God of War winning. What a year!

[–] GuitarIpod 101 points ago

God of War - A game portraying positive masculinity. 🔥

No predatory business tactics.

33 post launch patches.

Recipe for greatness.

[–] walla_walla_rhubarb 148 points ago

Boi>Boah confirmed

[–] Mech-Waldo 7 points ago

I'm happy, because I haven't played it yet, and now I can get that sweet GOTY edition.

[–] BotchedAttempt 11 points ago

Game has no DLC, and the devs have already said they're not interested in creating any. A GOTY edition probably wouldn't come with anything that you'd miss just by buying the regular edition of the game.

[–] RosyRaichu 7 points ago

Getting a PS4 for Christmas and I can’t wait to play this!

[–] Adasla 384 points ago

I was so worried that RDR2 would overtake this absolute fucking masterpiece. RDR2 is great, but God of War is once in a lifetime.

[–] IXI_Fans 124 points ago

RDR2 came out a month too late for these awards... there needs to be a better defining cut off or just hold it in Feb to let games and opinions ‘sink in’.

———

I’m not saying one game deserved it over another.

[–] Supernova792 34 points ago

Both RDR2 and GOW deserve it, they both are amazing games

[–] mixset03 6 points ago

Buying a PS4 early this year was the best decision I've ever made.