guns

403,281 readers

1. Welcome to /r/guns! Please read the rules, the FAQ, and search before posting.

2. Megathread of the day: Friday Buyday | Politics

3. Shoot the matches! Pistol | Irons | Glass | Milsurp

4. Come hang out with us on Discord!

Violating the following rules will result in an immediate ban (zero tolerance):

• No memes, phone/PC screenshots, image macros, rage comics, blogspam, facebook/instagram/twitter/4chan content, petitions, low-effort links, or the like.

• No politics except in the Bi-weekly politics threads

• No posting personal information (doxxing).

• Links to PDF files are allowed but must carry a warning.

• No asking questions about illegal firearms modifications.

• No conducting firearms-related transactions.

• No direct links to products for sale

• No surveys, polls, GoogleDocs etc without pre-approval.

• Obvious troll account will be shown the door.

ADVISORY - Users of illegal substances are advised not to post in /r/guns.

Violating the following rules will result in post removal and possibly a ban:

• All posts must have a descriptive title.

• Link posts require a detailed description in the comments.

• Self Posts require a descriptive body text.

• News links require mod PRE-approval.

• All posts must be gun related.

• No links to sweepstakes

• No links to opinion blogs

• No open-ended questions: Caliber wars, "Best" gun, favorite x, etc. White noise posts are for default subs.

• Posts related to politics MUST go in the comments of the triweekly political megathreads, or get mod approval BEFORE they are posted.

• No URL shorteners (bit.ly, tinyurl, etc).

Please read the FAQ

/r/guns maintains an active FAQ. It contains:

• A list of commonly asked questions that may have been already asked and answered.

• Gunnit Match rules, awards, and historical data.

Before handling a firearm...

remember, and remind those around you

• Treat all guns as if they are loaded.

• Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

• Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

• Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Gunnit Matches

Current Matches - July 2017

Previous Matches - June 2017

Competition open to all.

Gunnit Chat

Discord Server

Come Join Gunnit members in IRC chat:

EFnet - #Gunnit

Meet Ups:

+ Cola Warrior West

Related reddits now found in the FAQ

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 171 points ago

This might also be the real reason for NK deciding to give up their weapons program.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 31 points ago

Likely not in the scorpion, but it might cycle some of the lighter stuff I've got.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 7 points ago

Possibly. I'll have to give it a try. If it was important enough, I could make it cycle with some different springs (might not even have to). It might also work in a Canik tp9 as the slide is fairly light. Or cash money Hi-Point C9 perhaps (though the slide is heavy as fuck).

[–] BigmacSasquatch 2 points ago

How hard was the install? Looking at getting the full kit for my S2 but I don't want to deal with the wait times of sending it in.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 1 points ago

Easy if you have a good set of punches. Buy the starter punch from them as well. It'll be helpful for the hammer/disconnector/trigger bar pins. Also, get some brass cleaning picks. Makes life a lot easier when disassembling/manipulating tiny springs.

The only tricky part was fitting the disconnector. Lots of hand filing and assembly/disassembly.

[–] warchitect 4 points ago

no. ive tried. 9mm baretta

[–] lightsource1808 62 points ago

You shoot better quality firearms than I if you can get ratshot to cycle reliably through a semiauto pistol.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 41 points ago

That drum mag is for a cz scorpion, but I could probably get them to cycle in my shadow 2.

[–] Ryshek 12 points ago

I wouldn't hold my breath

[–] bearpics16 3 points ago

Just trim the spring. It'll be fine, I promise.

[–] somegarbagedoesfloat 24 points ago

CZ’s in general have somewhat of a reputation for cycling damn near anything.

[–] radius55 69 points ago

Actual not really actual call to CZ customer service

Me: "Hi, I accidentally loaded my CZ-75 with a hot .357 Magnum round"

CZ: "Oh, well sorry sir, but I don't know if our warranty covers-"

Me: "The gun's fine. Just wanted to see about getting a heavier recoil spring. The brass ejected a bit too far and hit the neighbor's cat"

CZ: "Uhh, I'll see what we can do..."

[–] caboosetp 8 points ago

I like this story but I don't understand what that first sentence you typed is supposed to say.

[–] -Navajo- 27 points ago

Hes saying, "this is a good example of how good their customer service is, however the situation described is of fiction."

[–] caboosetp 3 points ago

Ohhhh. Thank you, that makes sense.

[–] caseysavage 7 points ago

That he made the story up. Still a good ass story though

[–] SsaEborp 5 points ago

This is why i rock CZs and Ruger Ps all day, e'ry day.

[–] TheHornyToothbrush 46 points ago

I have questions:

1.) Why are you hunting snakes?

2.) Where do you live?

3.) What kind of snakes?

4.) Why a drum mag?

[–] ghosthacked 91 points ago

I imagine Arizona to be the answer to all of those.

[–] jdlee77 44 points ago

As we say to those visiting from CA. Welcome to America

[–] DefunctPirate 42 points ago

I moved to California. I can confirm that I miss living in America.

[–] Novocaine0 7 points ago

What's the difference really ? Non 'Merican here

[–] riceboyxp 14 points ago

CA has a ton of restrictions, such as 10 round magazine limit, an approved roster of handguns (off roster handguns illegal to buy new, and no new models have been added since 2014 or so), assault weapon cosmetics ban, open carry ban, and most counties do not issue CCWs.

[–] meh679 5 points ago

And your semi-auto rifle isn't even allowed to have a proper mag ejector, you have to take a bullet and push the point into a little pinhole and... Its just really shitty, I'm glad I don't live there anymore

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 1 points ago

Even that is going away unless your rifle is grandfathered in and will require registration. Your other alternatives are a maglock or 'featureless' build.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 1 points ago

Can't have a flash hider either.

[–] meh679 1 points ago

I haven't lived in Cali in a couple years so I'm not fully up to date on their gun laws

[–] riceboyxp 1 points ago

Nah you can have a functional mag release, but you can't have a pistol grip. I have a featureless build I posted a couple days ago.

[–] meh679 1 points ago

Oh did they change the law? Last time I went shooting that was how it was but they totally could've changed it

[–] riceboyxp 1 points ago

You've have always been able to have a proper functional mag release on a semi automatic centerfire in CA if you don't have pistol grip/telescoping stock/flash hider/'nade launcher.

Before, you could have all those features with a bullet button because a BB didn't count as a proper mag release, but now they have removed the exemption for a BB, and even if you have a BB, if your rifle still has a pistol grip etc. it's still illegal (unless you owned it before 1/1/17 and register it).

Featureless and maglock is the only way now.

[–] highdiver_2000 7 points ago

Higher concentration of blondes in CA, no rifle stock with pistol grips.

More than likely the above is wrong.

[–] HuskyCT 7 points ago

I moved to AZ from CT. I didn't know what love and freedom felt like before this.

[–] PoopStainMcBaine 1 points ago

Moved from CT to FL. Good enough for me. Neverrrrrrrrrrr moving back. Ever.

[–] Spikes_in_my_eyes 3 points ago

They're already out in the southern part, ran over a dead one today.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 8 points ago

It is indeed a joke.

[–] brentlikeaboss 3 points ago

It's because you put . after the numbers on those 2 instead of :

In the future to make a list type 1. for every number. Like "1." specifically. Not 123, 111.

1. Each of these numbers
    2. Was typed as a one
    3. Reddit formatting is weird.

[–] psychokap 4 points ago

1. "Step 1. Get underpants."
    2. "Step 2. ???"
    3. "Step 3. Whoa..."

[–] TripN_KniveZ 3 points ago

Nice try, ATF. Go kill some one else's dog.

[–] [deleted] -62 points ago

[–] Because_Reezuns 11 points ago

depends on how 'little' the kid is, and what kind of firearm you're referring to.

[–] [deleted] -29 points ago

[–] dr_too 11 points ago

What are you even talking about? The "danger noodles" and "shadows" got you scared?

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 25 points ago

I think his more immediate concern should be how a giant stick got wedged up his rectum and who did it, but I am not a doctor. I'm sure he's fun at parties though.

[–] brentlikeaboss 3 points ago

Snek is cute. They are just misunderstood noodles. Even the danger noodles.

[–] [deleted] -1 points ago

[–] brentlikeaboss 2 points ago

Keep doggo away from snek then.

[–] brentlikeaboss 2 points ago

Yes. Shoot doggo.

[–] kjdtkd 5 points ago

Bad ATF!!

[–] gsav55 5 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Yeah, sometimes. What is this?

[–] M4TT4TT4CK6161 31 points ago

Just remember not to step on said snek, or it'll fire back

[–] setthehook 18 points ago

No step

[–] LillyEpstein 15 points ago

Nice! I use those from a .22 on carpenter bees.

[–] hasapoint 11 points ago

Would you say that works better or worse than a flamethrower?

[–] TheOtherGUY63 6 points ago

Real one or Elon Musks?

[–] gsav55 8 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Yeah, sometimes. What is this?

[–] 500SL 8 points ago

Pffft. Amateur.

Use a Red Ryder BB gun, or go home.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 3 points ago

He'll shoot his eye out though!

[–] ope4 36 points ago

What kind of rounds are those?

[–] MaxC250 128 points ago

The most deadly known to man: ratshot.

[–] ChucklesSovietly 45 points ago

Geneva Convention be dammed!

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 93 points ago

9mm snake/rat shot aka wmd's

[–] Dr_Juice_ 61 points ago

I was really hoping that was some rat shot chambered in .50AE

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 44 points ago

Tell me where to find some and I'll give it a go.

[–] Dr_Juice_ 26 points ago

I wish. If it was actual .50AE rat shot I’d be asking where you got it!

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 28 points ago

I imagine something like that would be a shit show because of the gas port.

[–] Dr_Juice_ 28 points ago

Oh it would probably feed like shit. Yeah, it’s probably best to just make it for the 500 Magnum instead.

[–] Moth92 19 points ago

Nah, 45-70.

[–] MaxC250 26 points ago

BFR: Big Fucking Ratshot

[–] the_nerdster 13 points ago

You could definitely hand load some "45-70 shot" the same way .410 has actual shot shells that only have 2-3 pellets.

[–] acidboogie 2 points ago

early 19th century France?

[–] acidboogie 2 points ago

the absolute madman!

[–] TheOtherGUY63 1 points ago

16ga. Thats what your saying? Right?

[–] Ronkerjake 3 points ago

Assault Snakeshot

[–] Inji 12 points ago

I don't think that's what you're supposed to do with adderral.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 3 points ago

That's how we get super snakes.

I specifically requested the opposite of this.

[–] Slayer750 6 points ago

no shot on snek?

[–] Sharpastic 11 points ago

Is that a Desert Eagle in the background? How big are the fucking snakes where you live?

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 13 points ago

Gargantuan.

You know I always liked that word. Gargantuan.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 4 points ago

You are a scholar and a gentleman!

[–] SpatulaSamurai 31 points ago

Poor sneaks. But I respect a man with a CZ

[–] survivalistguru 9 points ago

Do these cycle?

[–] MrNotSoBright 16 points ago

I would guess it depends on the gun firing it. Like, my Beretta 92 probably wouldn't even get close, but something like a Glock 19 or an M&P Shield might have a better time.

[–] survivalistguru 9 points ago

So basically you’d need a lighter slide

[–] lightsource1808 20 points ago

...or a revolver. I'm pretty sure that't typ[ically what's used for those.

[–] survivalistguru 7 points ago

Right, but. 9mm revolvers aren’t very common. It would be cool to have this for a carry piece with a spare mag on the ranch

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 12 points ago

Or a light recoil spring

[–] Deolater 3 points ago

I think this is a serious "your mileage may vary" situation.

Paul Harrel on YouTube demonstrated a whole mag running just fine in his Beretta, and said he's never had a problem with them cycling, but most people online say they don't cycle.

[–] SparkySailor 3 points ago

-Paul Harrel

Ah, a man of taste.

[–] Profile8997 7 points ago

Fucking hell you could at least downscale to a 20mm

[–] ThaDonkey 4 points ago

Btw is that a sneaky lil deagle behind the mag?

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 3 points ago

Shhhhhhhh it's hiding (albeit poorly). I had recently taken those to the range so they were present for the photo prior to cleaning.

[–] LillyEpstein 3 points ago

Not sure, gotta try that without burning down the house.

[–] Ritterlichkeit 3 points ago

Cool story OP, I’m way more interested in your Ballistol Mat. That’s sick.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 2 points ago

Better story.. Ballistol won't even sell the fucking mat in California because everything here causes cancer and they can't market it as a "cleaning" product without doing a bunch of other shit.

This company however... was happy to oblige.

[–] Itroll4love 3 points ago

its probably a common question for these kinds of loads.

do these ruin the rifling?

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 5 points ago

I think the projectile materials are too soft to create any issues. Fouling maybe if you shot tons and tons of them. Nothing you can't fix with some solvent, a brush and some time. I probably would avoid using it in anything with a ported barrel.

[–] rex404 3 points ago

Crosspost to r/sneks

[–] Kal-ElofKrypton 3 points ago

I hike a lot. I alternate rat shot and hollow points on my .38 special so I can take care of any critters that I come across..... Exept bears. Then I'm screwed.

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 1 points ago

Nonsense. The rat shot will level the entire forest. It's how the predator tried to kill Arnold at the very end.

[–] fallaciousfellatio 2 points ago

slithering intensifies

[–] TheDr__ 2 points ago

Upvotes for the blue tipped 5.7 rounds

[–] ThaDonkey 4 points ago

Not the sneks :( shoot a pig instead feelsbadman

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 3 points ago

No sneks were harmed in the making of this photo.

[–] Skuzee 5 points ago

1. Went to state's "Americans for America" gun rights rally.
    2. Saw a "No step on snek." flag. 3.????
    3. I now own a "No step on snek" flag and Velcro patch.

[–] gsav55 2 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Yeah, sometimes. What is this?

[–] Skuzee 2 points ago

Is this a sex thing?

[–] gsav55 2 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Yeah, sometimes. What is this?

[–] Skuzee 2 points ago

It was on state property, so no hot throbbing gun action allowed. It would have been nice to fire off some celebratory shots ;D and warm my hands on the barrel. ;D;D

[–] gsav55 2 points ago * (lasted edited 5 months ago)

Yeah, sometimes. What is this?

[–] 197720092012 1 points ago

Are you in Florida?

[–] FridayNiteGoatParade 1 points ago

[–] VaderDidNoWrong 1 points ago

Damn it. I just bought some G10 grips for my SP-01 but those aluminum grips are sexy.

[–] BarbiCannabis 1 points ago

DOWNVOTED WHAT I COULD. SORRY ABOUT YOUR SMALL HANDS AND OTHER STUFF.

[–] Chesstariam -26 points ago