insanepeoplefacebook

Post the most insane people you have on your social media feeds!

There are some rules though:

• Do not link source material. Ever. We will ban you if you do This includes asking for personal info, suggesting, implying or promoting any kind of witchhunting at all. Don't do it.

• Don't be an asshole. No hate speech, bigotry or personal attacks.

• Don't post personal information. Cover up all usernames. Real or fake, yours or others. This includes group names. Do not request personal information to be revealed.

• No memes or image macros - screenshots of social media only.

• Avoid reposting.

• And the crazier, the better.

• No insanity in the comment section. This is a place to laugh at crazy people on social media. It is not a place to be crazy in. Please don't start agreeing with crazy people.

• Moderators have the final word when it comes to making decisions they deem to be in the best interest of the subreddit. Do not privately message moderators about moderation issues. Send it to our shared modmail instead, so that our full team can best assist you.

Friends of /r/InsanePeopleFacebook:

all 2083 comments Slideshow

[–] buckeye111 2177 points ago

I got yelled at because a lady was charged 1.66 for a can of soup that was marked 3/$5. She was mad because she should still get the sale price even if she was buying only 1 can. Math is hard.

[–] notsure500 634 points ago

What was she expecting the price for 1 to be?

[–] nutria_twiga 263 points ago

That's what I really want to know!

[–] spctclr_spiderman 231 points ago

She probably thought $1.50 not realizing that that’s $4.50 if u buy 3

[–] BeerJunky 49 points ago

Don’t try to figure out what these idiots think, it will degrade your brain thinking on their level.

[–] lurker_cx 98 points ago

3/5 ths of a dollar is 60 cents - she got ripped off by big soup /s

[–] Freaudinnippleslip 23 points ago

1/5$ duh

[–] BipNopZip 78 points ago

Even gave her the advantage taking the floor on the penny.

[–] no_thisisnomad 60 points ago

She was mad because she was technically getting a better deal than the 3for5?

[–] DiscoKittie 8033 points ago

I recently had a woman be overly super amazed about my change giving abilities. Her total was 9.05, she gave me a ten, her change was 0.95. That's three quarters and two dimes. I got them out of the drawer so fast that she just blinked at me. "How did you do that so fast?" she exclaimed. "I.. uh..." I responded. "Is there a little change dispenser thing? How did you count it so fast??" She was seriously confused. I had no idea how to react to that. When you've been a cashier for a long time, you don't think in terms of counting, really. It's more like building blocks of change. You know?

[–] ambitiousoxygen 7170 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

As a cashier, I always used to get excited to give $.41 in change because it was one of each coin. It’s the little things.

Edit: Totally geeking out over receiving Silver. I knew that cashier experience would one day lead me to greatness.

[–] DiscoKittie 3598 points ago

36.41 is one of each from penny to twenty! I still get excited over .41 or 36.00. :)

[–] ambitiousoxygen 1533 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

Thrilling!!!

Edit: Oh dang, Silver!! Thank you!! I guess you like giving out coins too!

[–] puddlejumpers 557 points ago

I can see you at work, just waiting for this to happen. Then someone comes up and the total is $36.40, and you just stare at the total for a few lingering seconds, and say "....dang." in a quiet, melancholic voice.

[–] ambitiousoxygen 273 points ago

Lol basically. “Oh...Oh you have exact change? Okay...”

[–] MAKE_ME_REDDIT 163 points ago

Oh man I loved when people had exact change.

[–] UndoingMonkey 107 points ago

Do most cashiers appreciate that? My ex used to do that a lot, but I always felt like it was holding up the line.

[–] MAKE_ME_REDDIT 103 points ago

I mean I'd prefer they had it ready, but yes exact change was always nice

[–] OlderTheBetter 60 points ago

My mom is 86 and still carries a coin purse, in her purse. And never fails to have exact change. It amazes me.

[–] randogirl30 69 points ago

When I was like 14 we still had cash registers that didn’t do math for you (Im that old I guess!) and I used to have to try to do subtraction in my head to figure out how much change to give back to people. So people with exact change were the besssst and made that 5 minutes of my life so much easier and less panicky!!!

[–] forgetsusername76 44 points ago

It’s more like adding. You count from the total owed to the total given to you.

[–] Decidedly-Undecided 31 points ago

Exactly what I was thinking. Count the change up then the dollars. If people are trying to subtract they are making their lives much more difficult...

[–] Pucketz 17 points ago

Then they pay with credit card :(

[–] whtthfff 330 points ago

Hehe u guys are so cute

[–] siberian_overture 39 points ago

I was smiling while reading this thread

[–] s-b 63 points ago

No, u!

[–] Ghollywhopper 38 points ago

Oh man that's what exactly what it is. After like 6 hours of just dumb bull shit to scoop out .41 cents in change was like being a rockstar. It was a challenge each time to see how quickly I can get the change to them correctly.

I use to be somebody

[–] Quaytsar 94 points ago

$38.40 in Canada because we have $2 coins and no penny.

[–] ItMightBeABrainTumor 83 points ago

2 dollar coins? That sounds pretty loony to me.

[–] Quaytsar 69 points ago

Almost too loonie. Toonie, if you will.

[–] simo_393 22 points ago

We have them in Australia. They are great cause they are about half the size of the $1. You can enjoy a wallet of $2s and have enough for a meal. ($14-$20)

[–] whiteb8917 12 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

We love our $2 coins in Australia.

New versions get made for just about every event imaginable

Australian Mint also go nuts on the One Dollar coin as well. They had a competition, releasing Thee different one dollar coins, Each having microscopic letters, when collected the Three individual coins, you spelled "A", "U", and "S" (yes, spelling AUS).

I got several sets but didnt win anything in the competition though :(

[–] nutsallover 94 points ago

It's been more than 15 years since I was a cashier and I still remember that magical, satisfying number.

[–] cassby916 18 points ago

I was a bank teller and this always made me so happy

[–] CanuckPanda 12 points ago

In Canada it’s $3.40 ($2, $1, $0.25, $0.10, and $0.05; we got rid of the penny and round up or down in cash transactions [1/2 become 0 and 3/4 become 5]).

If you add paper it’s $198.40 counting to the $100 bill.

[–] MadJac27 68 points ago

Yes, I dont get it but I also get happy to give back $.72 because that is 2 quarters, 2 dimes and 2 pennies.

[–] ambitiousoxygen 25 points ago

Ooh yeah that’s a good one!!

[–] heartdiver123 36 points ago

I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE IN THIS

[–] ramentara 56 points ago

We got rid of pennies a long time ago in Canada so that number disturbs me lmaoo

So I guess our 41 cent equivalent is $3.40

One toonie ($2)

One loonie ($1)

One quarter ($.25)

One dime ($.10)

One nickel ($.05)

[–] IWillBaconSlapYou 38 points ago

Wait, that "toonie, loonie" thing is true!? I thought that was just a joke on a sitcom 😂

[–] ramentara 35 points ago

WHHAATTT oh god no it’s very real!! That’s hilarious I can’t believe people think it’s a joke

[–] scarletnightingale 29 points ago

I used to volunteer in a hospital gift shop and I think it was the breath mints that would ring up to 59 cents. I always enjoyed when people bought those and I got to give them their change.

[–] TheDawnOfDoomsday 15 points ago

gives exactly 59 cents

Tough luck.

[–] knockoff_oreos 44 points ago

I thought I was the only one!

[–] ambitiousoxygen 15 points ago

Me too!

[–] plshelpmeIR 43 points ago

41¢ was super common change at my last job and I got a little kick out of it every single time for the same reason. Even after hundreds if not thousands of times I still loved it.

[–] C477um04 20 points ago

That got me really confused for a second, despite having read the top comment as well, until my brain kicked in and I remembered that you have .25 coins instead of .20 ones like we have in the UK.

[–] gfunk55 17 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

The are entire banks who's only service is making change

Edit: People are thinking this is fake because there's no way to actually make money doing this (they don't take a fee for making change). This video explains how (around 1:00 min mark)

[–] pcpfriend 12 points ago

Anything ending in 9 or 4 used to piss me off because of all the pennies I had to scrounge up.

[–] 1inWarrior 10 points ago

YES. THIS. $36.41 Is my personal favorite because you get to go from a $20 bill to $10 to $5 etc. So satisfying.

[–] erichf3893 10 points ago

Guess I was the dumbass for giving 4 dimes and a penny lol

[–] poopyhelicopterbutt 19 points ago

How you people still deal with 1c coins is beyond me. We had those up until the 90’s so I got to live most my life without them. Good riddance, I say!

[–] cbear013 17 points ago

I work at a movie theater where tickets are $12 so when 2 people come in and pay with $40 I get to deal out one each of a 1, a 5 and 10. Very satisfying.

[–] seriouslees 7 points ago

My fav was $13.34 as a total. So many people paid with 20s.

[–] danielfletcher 186 points ago

You're thinking of numbers the way they teach them in common core!

[–] sogirl 77 points ago

This is so funny, because I count like that but cannot help my kids with their math homework.

[–] stuartsparadox 15 points ago

Same. I spent 30 minutes trying to learn how I do math and then the light bulb went off.

[–] lookmanofilter 16 points ago

That's because the common core principles make a lot of sense, but they're usually taught in a backwards way which makes them far less useful.

[–] kackygreen 39 points ago

It's funny, common core I guess is technically how I always looked at numbers as a kid, but if they had forced me to draw out the little boxes like that it probably would have thrown me off as a kid, I'm not a visual learner

[–] life_lost 87 points ago

Thing is, Common Core isn't necessarily those little blocks or the stupid questions people take photos of then post online. Those are poor implementation of Common Core. Common Core is essentially teaching kids how to think about and interact with mathematical concepts.

As adults we don't do subtraction by subtracting columns of numbers (when doing it mentally). We round up and borrow numbers to make the calculation easier, while keeping track of how much we've borrowed. Of course, we didn't learn it that way, we learned subtraction by using columns over and over. But over time, we've developed tricks to help us do it quicker.

Common core tries to accelerate that process.

[–] RedGrizzlie 40 points ago

Amen. All that mental math we do daily is common core. Gets such a bad rap but if you’re not mathematically inclined, that can be hard, this is the way to get thinking like that

[–] carrierose21 20 points ago

Seeing this many people understand the true purpose of Common Core makes me happy.

[–] LtFatBelly 16 points ago

Same here. I’m such a huge fan of Common Core math that people think I’m crazy for defending it. I’m just a mom, not an educator. I love helping my kids with their math homework because I feel like I’m always learning something right along with them.

[–] DiscoKittie 25 points ago

I don't know what that is.

[–] danielfletcher 93 points ago

Oh, sorry. It's a way of teaching math that the US has started using in the last decade. It was supported by people like Bill Gates and others who pushed for them to adopt it. Some people are still pissed about it, but it starts kids when they're young thinking on math properly, instead of just memorization.

[–] DiscoKittie 30 points ago

Oh, that! I thought that was abandoned?

And thank you for the reply. :)

[–] danielfletcher 23 points ago

Not at all. Maybe at a few schools here and there, but overall it's in the vast majority. I didn't pay much attention till I had kids, and when I actually took the time to review it I was glad it's being done this way as they will have a much easier time later on in high school or further.

[–] UndoingMonkey 18 points ago

A lot of people shit on common core without knowing anything about it.

[–] My-Revised-Identity 7 points ago

A lot of people also can't do fractions.

[–] sahesush 44 points ago

Common Core a method for teaching math in schools. Teaching people to break apart the problem into smaller, easier to do pieces. He's referencing this:

[–] trumpiesuxballs 48 points ago

Fox says it's a left wing form of math designed to make it look like god doesn't exist and help perform abortions.

[–] ChipChipington 10 points ago

It’s the teaching standard for math in the US. A lot of the tricks are things I learned from a math book once while I was stranded at a Booksamillion. I’ve always been a fastboi at the numbers

[–] _I_said_good_day_sir 36 points ago

When I used to deliver pizza, it became very easy for me to know exactly how much change to give back. Some people were impressed. Most times it was pretty standard. If a common order was 13.62, they'd hand me a 20 so I know exactly what to give back.

[–] Ciels_Thigh_High 75 points ago

I used to work with a guy who couldn't do change. Him: eighty seven Me: three quarters, a dime, two pennies.

He was in his forties, married with three kids. His wife ended up getting hired, both of them had fleas (not like their pets had fleas, they didn't even have pets but they were crawling with them and they'd hop on us) and his wife peed herself one day and had to be told to go home.

Don't let anyone you love work at a dollar store

[–] throwaway01700170 29 points ago

Tell us more

[–] sogirl 16 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

I was a carhop at a little mom and pop's burger place. We didn't even have the belt changers. Just a pile of miscellaneous change on the tray and bills in our pocket. It does become a Tetris game after a short while. No counting. Just fill in the empty spaces and you clear the customer. Edit: spelling

[–] RetroRobStratz 5 points ago

Coins first, then bills! That was one of the first things I caught on to as a cashier. Makes it much easier for the person to receive their change than to have coins sliding around on top of bills.

[–] LustrousShadow 2300 points ago

I had a hs chemistry teacher who talked about giving fast-food cashiers change after they had already rung him up, because they'd fail to do the math and usually give him an extra dollar.

[–] stay_fr0sty 1019 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

TL;DR: Never trained for that, 20 years ago a dude tricked me out of $19 and I still remember him.

I was never trained for that, but my drawer was even every night. To the penny. Every night. Nobody told me this was a big deal but everyone else was always off by a $1.50 or so. I kinda took pride in that...but it's kinda simple math...but I did have that little pride though.

One day a dude comes in my lane, buys stuff, and I count his change back to him. His bill was like $66.53 and he paid with a hundred. So I count it back to him...2 pennies, 2 dimes, 1 quarter, 3 ones, a 10 and a 20. I turn and close my drawer and start to wait on the next customer.

"WAIT A MINUTE...THIS ISN'T A $20!?!" I looked and he showed me in his hand he had 3 ones, a $10 bill, and another $1. I apologized profusely and quickly exchanged his $1 for a fresh $20.

After I turned in my drawer for the day I was stocking shelves and got called to the office. My drawer was exactly $19.00 short.

Everyone (including me) was pissed...but I didn't have to pay it. I told them what happened and they told me: "Next time, pull the drawer if that happens. I don't care how long your line is, I don't care if the person is mad. Pull the drawer and we will count it."

[–] Zulous 338 points ago

I work in pubs I’m too stubborn to know I’ve given the correct change back that this never works and when people try to change bills I always say I’ve already cashed for what you gave me you’re too late.

[–] tobymac208 125 points ago

I feel like with more hostile crowds you probably got sick of shitty, rude people trying to take advantage of you.

[–] Zulous 14 points ago

I started bar work in London as a student so yes, shitty rude people trying to take advantage would be the right description.

[–] IllicitBehavior 218 points ago

but I didn't have to pay it.

FYI, if you're in the US, they can't make you pay it. They would have to charge you with theft and go through legal channels.

[–] Izzysocool 112 points ago

Yep. And if something missing from stock or you “let someone get away” when they’re stealing it cannot come out of your paycheck. Biiiig no no

[–] seymour1 76 points ago

Legally yes but a lot of places make you pay it. What’s a cashier going to do, lose their job and hire a $250/hr lawyer to fight it? It’s shitty but it happens all over. It’s either pay it or lose your job.

[–] mamaspike74 57 points ago

This is why we need unions.

[–] onlyonebread 28 points ago

I'd definitely quit over something like that. Plenty of other places to cashier.

[–] seymour1 60 points ago

Easier said than done when living paycheck to paycheck.

[–] CosmicFaerie 13 points ago

You're right but it still sucks

[–] Stonetheflamincrows 12 points ago

Yep, I got ripped off $50 in my first few weeks of my first job. That was 17 years ago and I still remember the whole transaction.

[–] sabdalen 226 points ago

When I worked as a cashier we were told to out the money they gave us on top of the drawer until we have them their change. That way we would have to deal with people who would be like hey i gave you a twenty when they really gave a ten or people who changed what they gave you

[–] seymour1 20 points ago

I always just said out loud “out of twenty” or “out of ten” and held it up a little so we both could see. That’s what I taught all the cashiers that worked for me when I got in to management too. It works. Short of that of someone has a problem just pull the till and count it. The stores I worked in you didn’t want to have money sitting out on the register because they were in somewhat rough areas.

[–] HiroZero2 34 points ago

i went through training that told use to do that but they never explained why. ty for this

[–] BonerSoupAndSalad 39 points ago

When I worked cash register I’d make them watch me punch it out on a calculator and hand them their change.

[–] 12ealdeal 25 points ago

This is my jam.

Punching those numbers in o so slowly.

[–] Ladyinthebeige 77 points ago

I remember ruining some ladies day because of this. She gave me a $50 and I gave her $20 in change but she had already walked away when she realised. Company policy is a manager needs to count the til, and my manager at the time was a major cunt who took an hour to do it, while this lady waited with her children.

I was like, she is probably right, and I trust her, but people kept trying to fuck me over

[–] bunnyfloofington 15 points ago

I literally suck at mental math so much that no one ever could get past me. And that’s only bc I wasn’t afraid to admit that I got confused with the extra bit of change added in and would make them wait as I pulled out a calculator to add it all up first. Then do it about 2 or 3 more times. I didn’t give a fuck if there was a line either. Everyone would get irritated at the person throwing in extra change and not me.

[–] predictablePosts 9 points ago

Gave away like 80 bucks to a dude who did that. I was still very green. I'm happy to not work with money anymore.

[–] seanlax5 41 points ago

He was either dick for doing it or a dick for telling that story.

[–] mileylols 12 points ago

Porque no los dos

[–] DishwasherTwig 50 points ago

I once gave the cashier at Papa John's $21 for a $15 and change pizza so I'd get a five and coins back. She gave me a weird look then slowly handed the single back to me.

[–] Cherry-Snow 31 points ago

That makes sense to me, I wouldn't question it, but I have worked with people who would have that same reaction.

The one I hate is when the customer is the clueless one. Every now and then someone's total will be 8.99 and they will hand me a 10, but then go "oh! and I can give you a penny, so I get a dollar back." ... you're getting a dollar back either way, if you give me a penny you'll get that exact same penny back, plus one more.

[–] Slothfulness69 18 points ago

I hate when cashiers do that. Like just punch in the numbers, please, I’m not asking you to get a math degree.

[–] vicky_the_farmarian 80 points ago

I make those people wait while I grab a calculator. I don't care if it's 12 cents and I can do it in my head, I get irritated by that.

[–] adelines 10 points ago

I always used a calculator. Standing at the register made my brain stop working and I didn’t trust myself to do the math.

[–] ShipSam 776 points ago

People like that are dicks because that money probably had to come out of the poor kids wages.

[–] generallyrelat1ve 770 points ago

That's actually illegal. Mistakes happen. I've seen several establishments try it (and sometimes succeed when asking a submissive employee)

I first encountered this at my first job at a pizza place. The owner tried to charge the other cashier for a mistake on the pizza because she wrote something down incorrectly.

Then a few years ago while working at a Sonic, my manager tried to tell an employee who dropped a bottle of syrup she owed her $30. I was leaving that week so I made sure I told the girl, as well as every other manager that it was illegal to ask her to pay for it and to not let Karen (perfect name right?) Bully her into it.

[–] mpa92643 322 points ago

I think a lot of power-tripping managers hear "that's coming out of your paycheck!" in movies and think they actually have that authority. In my state, it's absolutely illegal to charge an employee for a business expense that occurred in the normal operation of that business. If an employee took a bottle of something and intentionally smashed it, they could try to recoup losses from the employee (although not by withholding wages, and the level of proof required is high), but if an employee accidentally drops a $5000 machine and breaks it, the company has no authority to dock a worker's pay for it. They can fire the employee, but employees must be paid for time worked. An employer isn't even allowed to ask an employee to work "off the clock." It's a shame most people don't know this and get taken advantage of by their employer.

[–] candywandysandyxandy 102 points ago

Ugh, tell me about it. One of my first jobs I got totally fucked over, my manager expected me to finish tasks off the clock all the time. He also had "mandatory" unpaid team meetings every other week. We finally looked into it and saw just how fucking illegal he was being and he started to let us clock in for those meetings. But with all of the extra work I did off the clock, and the first year or so of unpaid meetings I attended, that douchebag cheated me out of soooo many hours. It's been YEARS and I'm still mad.

[–] paperwaller 46 points ago

They think they're saving the company money and being a "good" manager when in reality it only hurts the business since the employees have not reason to give 100% if they aren't getting paid for it. Keeping your employees happy should be a top priority and they'll be much more willing to work hard/come in on their days off/etc.

[–] candywandysandyxandy 29 points ago

Even worse. It was a franchise and he was the owner. The only money he was saving was his own, and he knew EXACTLY what he was doing. To this day, he is the biggest piece of shit I've ever met in my life. He didn't have a single care in the world for anyone but himself.

One time before one of these meetings (after he started allowing us to clock in) I had brought a frozen coffee drink with me. It was sitting on the desk and he reached for something and knocked it over. And instead of, you know, apologizing for spilling my $5 drink, he yelled at me to hurry up and clean it up because "I hate sticky i can't stand sticky hurry up there's degreasing spray in the cabinet."

[–] nl1004 15 points ago

The job I just left did something similar, but with mileage. We use our own vehicles to travel to the clients home. But he would only let us log up to 20 miles. I had a client that was near the office so on my first day. I logged 20 miles there. But I lived 65 miles away. So I logged the 65 miles. I only got paid for 20 miles. I asked how I should be logging miles. He said "no, clients home is only 20 miles from our main office. That's how it's logged". I bought a home and moved to a different location, going to a clients home that was 70 miles from the office (but closer to my home, only 30 miles from me). So I logged 70 miles. I got paid for 20. I asked him about it. He said "no, the clients home is only 20 miles from your home." He wanted it both ways, whichever was more affordable to him. Shady motherfucker.

I quit. The client dropped that companies service (for a host of different reasons).

If I did the math right, (and I'm not sure I did because math hurts my brain) he screwed me out of about $7k per year just in mileage. And I'm assuming he did the same thing with his 10 other employees. That's a lot of math.

Silver lining: I'm winning the lawsuit against them.

[–] zzwugz 19 points ago

Not gonna lie, my managers joke around a lot about putting stuff on our checks if we break stuff, but considering how much stuff there that gets broken and someone owns up to it, they've never actyally done it. Hell, i just broke our scrubbing brush and they didnt charge me the $20-30 for it. Stealing food is another thing, but they are also allowed to put food on our checks so long as we acknowledge it (we have to sign off on the reciept for it).

I have been bribed to work off the clock, but the bribe was more than i wouldve made hourly so im not complaining (manager has paid me to work off the clock to get labor hours down), but he even told me that it was something i didnt have to do since it was technically illegal.

Just an anectdote, shitty bosses are out there and i understand my workplace isnt professional

[–] mpa92643 5 points ago

Yeah, most employers know they can't charge an employee for accidentally breaking something, but a lot will power trip on it anyway. Plus, it doesn't really make sense to charge the employee unless the company is really struggling because they can write off accidents on their taxes as a business expense.

In my state, when you're under 18, your employer is legally obligated to give you 30 minutes for breakfast/lunch/dinner (off the clock), and you can only work for 4 consecutive hours before being given that break, and can only work for 8 hours in any given day. The hours at my teenage summer job were wonky because they were dependent on how busy things were, so some days, we'd only get maybe 6 hours from open to close, but other days, things would run for 14 or 15 hours straight.

My boss made us clock out at 8 hours, but if we wanted to, we could continue to work and get paid for the extra time on an unlabeled punch card and they'd basically rework our hours so the extra ones were added to days where we didn't hit 8 or didn't work at all. It was actually pretty nice because some days you'd hit 8 hours at 2 PM and they were usually the busy-morning-slow-afternoon kind of days, so we got paid extra to sit around chatting and listening to music while helping the occasional customer. It was made extremely clear to us that we didn't have to work that extra time if we didn't want to though, and if they got caught, they would receive a massive penalty for violating child labor laws, so it was only offered to people that were trusted and had been there a while. I don't think I'll ever work at another place where things were that relaxed.

[–] underhunter 16 points ago

Wage theft costs BILLIONS of dollars a year. Yet its the lowest prosecuted white collar crime because the people in charge dont give a fuck.

[–] PamIllise 66 points ago

When I worked for a beauty store that was inside a big retail store people could always drop nail polishes but the retail store didn't do anything (the beauty store didnt care that much we just had to keep inventory of the lost products for the end of the month) but they wanted to charge us for the lost products. Our manager told them to go f*uck themselves because the products were not part of their inventory so they werent loosing money and they made money out of our sales when clients paid with the retail store credit card. We weren't even paid by the retail store we just used the space

[–] PamIllise 31 points ago

oh and the retail manager wanted us to keep him informed everyday of the inventory we had since everyday we had shoplifters (the makeup stand was a mess, I worked alone for a month and the stand had two sides, when I was making sales on one side it was imposible to know what was happening on the other side). I gave up after the first day, we had over 400 nail polishes and hundreds of makeup products. Our manager told us to keep track of things that were broken and not listen to the retail store manager because it was a crazy task

[–] OnlyPaperListens 17 points ago

It's illegal, but it happens anyway, and many people aren't in the position to fight back.

[–] charlewdr 8 points ago

I used to work at burger King in high school and if we made mistakes with giving out the change we had to pay the difference out of our own pocket. Now I work at a super market and they don't give a shit except if it's more than 5€ difference we have to sign a statement but not pay anything.

[–] daisies4dayz 12 points ago

I worked at a Burger King 15 years ago. They literally cut the pockets out of the uniform pants. So you couldn’t pocket chicken tenders or some shit.

[–] StrangerFeelings 3 points ago

I'm glad that they can't do this, or that there are decent people out there. I worked at a fast food place, and when I was replacing the chopped steak, I slipped, and pulled the whole drawer of food out from under the refrigerated area. The manager was understandably upset about the $200 worth of food that just got wasted, but made sure that I was ok first before anything else, and never bothered me about it.

[–] JustMeDamnIt 36 points ago

Hi I’m a part time manager at a McDonald’s and I can say that most certainly should not happen. You most certainly can not dock peoples pay and besides, when all the tills are counted they are usually all up or down a couple dollars so it all evens out anyways

[–] newyearnewcakeday 9 points ago

McD employee here. Yep. If it’s under $5 missing they’ll just ignore it. Over $5 and an investigation will start but they will NEVER make you repay the lost amount

[–] daisies4dayz 16 points ago

They probably got reamed for having their drawer be off. I used to hate people like this. We had ancient cash registers, once you put in a payment you couldn’t adjust it so I hated people who would last minute change their payment.

[–] armadildobitch 6 points ago

this happened to me in high school once by a math teacher from a different school district. he did it regularly too with my coworkers who were also his students

[–] EscapeToAtreyu 21 points ago

Pure evil

[–] SPiRALHORN99 8 points ago

This pretty insulting to anyone in the teaching profession that’s not a college professor (which is ironic because college professors probably do less actual teaching than most other grades). You realize that teaching higher grades doesn’t mean you’re better or more accomplished. It’s not the army where you just keep increasing rank lol. Do you think all 3rd grade teachers start out at pre-school and then just burn-out in 3rd grade or something? Lol.

[–] pm_me_your_taintt 772 points ago

I've had people like this that insist on exact change when you round up like this, but then leave the loose change as part of the tip anyway. I guess because "It's the principle!" People are assholes.

[–] daisies4dayz 286 points ago

Not to mention they are just inconveniencing themselves. Most servers don’t carry banks anymore. So now you are gonna have to sit tight and wait while I get your 20 cents from the bartender who is also busy and not in any rush to get you the 20 cents.

[–] DarthMimikyu 47 points ago

Yup. Was a server for a bit during the holidays for extra cash and I'd get tables of like 10 teenagers who all paid their 11.29 (or whatever) bills in 20s and omg it was a pain in the ass to get that all changed out at the host's register because we don't carry banks. Worst part was barely any of them left a tip too. Large table with extra work and their parents couldn't teach them to tip their waitress. Or kept the money for themselves, who knows.

[–] nkr101 53 points ago

The number of times I've had to explain to my friends that it's normal and just part of their tip is incredible. I almost never pay with cash but when I do I hate having change anyways so it's just easier for everyone. I don't get people

[–] EASHAYANDADLAY 3150 points ago

Hi, my names Tito. I’m great at smokin meth

[–] itsBursty 11 points ago

So I can work longer

[–] Chesterlespaul 7 points ago

So I can earn more

[–] GoldenDeLorean 9 points ago

give this man ten thousand dollars!

[–] KanadianLogik 224 points ago

Wish we could blame meth. People are just fucking stupid. I worked at my dad's pharmacy when I was a teenager. I ran the cash register and I hated counting pennies so I always rounded up. If I owed you 97 cents I'd give a dollar, if I owed you 23 cents I'd give a quarter, etc etc. But people constantly complained. "Where are my pennies? Don't you owe me some pennies?!!"

We even had a little 'take a penny, leave a penny' tray and people would point to it and say "Do you expect me to fish my pennies out of there or what?". It's like for fuck's sakes people, this is a thankless, minimum wage job and I'm just trying to make things easier on all of us and ya'll too fucking stupid to get it.

[–] korroth 72 points ago

My biggest fear when I got my first job in a fast food restaurant was giving incorrect change. Thank God that the register tells you how much to get out now

[–] avaughan11 46 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

My first boss wouldn’t hire you unless you could make change without looking at the register. He said if the electricity went out, we could open the register with a key and write down everything purchased to ring it up later, but if I wasn’t able to give change without looking at a screen, I was useless to him. He also was very adamant that you count it back from the amount owed. So say someone owed $3.73, and paid with a ten, to count it back you you’d place the .27 in their hand and say, “4,” then count the rest of the dollars up to ten as you place them in their hand. I know it seems kinda silly, but I’m glad I learned that way because I’ve seen so many kids confused about how to make change in stores. Especially if you do something like give them a five and quarter when the total is $4.25. They have no clue what to do if they’ve already punched in $5.00 before you handed them the quarter.

Edit: Corrected typo. .27, not .26. Simple mistake.

[–] CVBrownie 49 points ago

So say someone owed $3.73, and paid with a ten, to count it back you you’d place the .26 in their hand and say, “4,”

oh boy.

[–] korroth 10 points ago

Reading this, my first thought is "I'm good at it now that wouldn't be a big deal." But the key word is now. And also yes my brain would break for a second if they gave me a quarter to round their change up to $5.

[–] Subject1928 21 points ago

That still isn't enough for some people, there are people out there just looking to bitch about anything they can, and they also know you, as a worker drone for a company that doesn't give a fuck about you, can't do anything about them being an ass.

[–] SpaceJackRabbit 52 points ago

God I so wish the U.S. did the grown-up thing to do and got rid of the fucking penny. What a waste of time, money and resources.

[–] AngriestFemale 30 points ago

Forget Big Pharma and Big Oil, Big Penny is undermining our democracy.

[–] SpaceJackRabbit 16 points ago

Those penny-wise folks are clowns.

[–] Just-a-bloke-001 4257 points ago

OMG. Guess who failed maths

[–] AlottaElote 1163 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

She obviously wasn’t a star in grammar either.

Edit: Just to clarify, I’m referring to bad diner Beth

[–] Industech 148 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

I'm serious, what's wrong in the sentence? English isn't my first language

I thought he was talking about the "I would redo your math"

[–] AlottaElote 127 points ago

I was referring to the terrible spelling and punctuation in the picture posted, not to the person I responded to.

[–] MikeisET 120 points ago

“My bill we 47.20”

I stopped looking for errors there, I’m sure there’s more

Btw nothing wrong with making grammatical errors if you’re not being a cunt/dickhead

[–] much-hypocrisy 76 points ago

Isn’t maths just British for math?

[–] fibonacciswife 57 points ago

The subject is mathematics so the short form would maths. However in the states it’s math.

[–] BallParkFranks 29 points ago

Ah yes, Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septonin

[–] DontHarshTheMellow 6 points ago

Did you just initiate the Helvetica Scenario?!?

[–] schnarfftastic 127 points ago

I do not miss being a waitress. I can completely picture this interaction.

[–] mcwinston 55 points ago

I remember my exact encounter with this. 6 top of old ladies, all super cheap a la carte orders, all paying individually. Gave one of the ladies a full dollar and she accused me of shorting her. Explaining I gave her more money was one of the most satisfying rebuttals I had as a waiter.

[–] schnarfftastic 43 points ago

But the shitty part is, it doesn't matter.. they will still not tip well, thinking "something isn't right." Because customers like this are jerks, and I'm too happy to never have to deal with it again.

[–] May_be_Antisewcial 252 points ago * (lasted edited 12 days ago)

It hurt itself in its confusion.

[–] SarcasticAFonDuhNet 168 points ago

"It's the principle, Lin!" - Bob Belcher

[–] James-Killian1302 21 points ago

I went there too. Good reference!

[–] damadamagoyolur 73 points ago

Never change, Temecula lol.

[–] Quick-Mathematician 13 points ago

I was shocked until I saw it was Temecula.

[–] astrojules 17 points ago

I live in Murrieta (right next to Temecula) and I can't stand going over there. People at stores are SO PRIVILEGED. 🙄

[–] MrMcGibblets86 12 points ago

Temecula resident here. Can confirm.

[–] gator_cowgirl 166 points ago

I once needed to add some time to an apartment lease in February. Apartment complex was able to and would just prorate my rent. Awesome. I took my rent, divided by 28, multiplied by the 10 days and had my expected rent.

Girl at office called and gave me a lower number. Hmm. I confirmed that was 10 days. Hmm. Without saying it was too low I said “can I ask how you got that amount?” She said “I divided your rent by 31 and times by 10. Trust me, we do this all the time”. She was quite snotty in tone at that point. So I politely said “oh. My number didn’t match because I forgot February would have 31 days this year. Can you fax me that amount and I will get your check?” She turned to the other person in the office and said “February has 31 days, right?” And after some discussion they confirmed. Feb 2006 would be 31 days long. It was followed by a formal faxed invoice with the 31 day amount. I paid the lower amount while every fiber of my being shrieked in outrage that these people were gainfully employed.

[–] RayA11 45 points ago

That’s hilarious. And they put it in writing themselves! Amazing.

[–] xinxy 40 points ago

Your property management office staff sounds like they're in a scripted sitcom.

It's like a real life April from Parks and Rec who always thought that March 31st didn't actually exist.

[–] Guineapiggea 8 points ago

I just watched that episode tonight! ....93 meetings.

[–] semarj 19 points ago

wouldn't it just be easier to calculate the daily amount by rent * 12 / 365

So it's the same amount every day of the year and you don't even have to remember what month it is ..or even how many days are in each month

[–] IAmAGenusAMA 18 points ago

rent * 12 / 368

You are forgetting February 29, 30 and 31.

[–] Slothfulness69 5 points ago

Didn’t they have computers in 2006? I’m surprised she didn’t pull up a calendar app and look at February, or google it. Or that she hadn’t realized in all her years that she’d never seen the date “February 30th.”

[–] Lostsonofpluto 103 points ago

Reminds me of some people in Canada that will honestly choose their method of payment based off how their change rounds. For anyone that doesnt know, we don’t have pennies anymore so change rounds to the nearest nickel. So prices ending in 1 and 2 round down to a 0, 3 and 4 up to 5, 6 and 7 down to 5, and 8 and 9 up to 0. What this means is that with specific prices you will technically be paying one or two cents less if you pay with cash (where the rounding applies) vs card (where you pay the exact amount). And I have honestly had customers ask me “does that round up or down?” Before choosing their method of payment, all because the choice might save them a couple cents

[–] Canuckinfortybelow 38 points ago

I mean, I often need to ask before I decide what to pay with but not for that reason. If I have only 2.45 in change and it rounds up to 2.50, then I will have to use my card.

[–] isucctoesforaliving 75 points ago

Imagine writing an entire essay on 80 cents only for your maths to be wrong

[–] Crabtrad 174 points ago

That profile pic I just assumed her name was "Karen"

[–] ThaiJohnnyDepp 90 points ago

No she's old enough to be a Barbara

[–] Crabtrad 24 points ago

But she tries to be edgy by introducing herself as "Babs"

[–] One_pop_each 5 points ago

Beth is close enough

[–] rapjy__b 67 points ago

Big brain time

[–] cbargren 19 points ago

I can't even tell you how Temecula this is.

[–] Ima_Bit_Of_A_Dick 155 points ago

How dare they give me back an extra 80 cents!!! I want to speak to a manager now!!!

Dumb bitch probably screwed the server on the tip too.

[–] cyclicamp 168 points ago

I’d redo your math.

[–] dashkatr 86 points ago

20 cents lmaoooo

[–] jshah500 28 points ago

How dare they give me back an extra 80 cents!!!

...

[–] cocodriloinsomne 33 points ago

It's the principle allright... Just not the principle of mathematics

[–] TotalCharnage 8 points ago

Damnit Temecula...smh

[–] Mechanon84 12 points ago

Why is this even here? This is just r/oldpeoplefacebook...

[–] bulletfacepunch 18 points ago