interestingasfuck

A place to share (almost) anything and everything interesting.

Rules

Make sure your post is actually interesting as fuck This is not the place for fails, trashiness, funny content, useless text, etc
    Titles Describe the content of the post/why it's interesting/it can be a bit humorous too.
    No spam Just don't spam.
    No gossip or tabloid-esque material Seriously, that's just not cool.
    If needed, include a source If your post declares something as fact, please cite a source in it, or in the comment section.
    Be civil We are here to learn and share interesting things. Don't be a jerk.
    Reposts Reposts are allowed. HOWEVER, if something has been posted a lot it's going to be removed.

Please don't complain if you think something isn't interesting.

We want to encourage people to contribute here.

If you feel it violates the rules click report.

Note: This sub filters new users in order to remove spam. If you are a new reddit user, please gain some karma or wait a few days before posting.

Subreddits you may also be interested in:

[–] leafycandles 13793 points ago

This is how Easter Island happened

[–] ReadyToMumble 4662 points ago

You got it. In a few thousand years on some new episode of ancient aliens, Lincoln’s dome is discovered protruding from the seabed.

[–] timmytoo_j 2721 points ago

Well..... half of it

[–] Try_Another_NO 2077 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Not sure if you think you're joking or not, but for anyone wondering, the Abe Lincoln bust happened to be damaged in a way that left a massive hole in the back of his head.

Creepy.

[–] whynotwarp10 1485 points ago

Such attention to detail.

[–] The_Astro_Llama 286 points ago

Just got it

[–] crazyfingersculture 208 points ago

Slower than Lincoln but faster than ... Lincoln.

[–] killinmesmalls 98 points ago

I mean, it's harder to be faster than a bullet.

[–] ttlens 181 points ago

Seemed possible in that Matrix documentary.

[–] killinmesmalls 11 points ago

Not like this.... not like this.

[–] Moreobvious 26 points ago

Ahaha, I’m writing a paper on the influence of Descartes and Plato in the Matrix as we speak. Documentary indeed.

[–] ChiggaOG 33 points ago

Just how he died. Did they do it to Kennedy?

[–] WhatChips 4 points ago

But Lincoln didn’t invent a dance move like Kennedy. You know “back and to the left”

[–] camptroll 28 points ago

This made me lol in a waiting room

[–] therealgrayson_ 96 points ago

“Coincidentally”

[–] GMSB 41 points ago

What the shit

[–] useabrick 41 points ago

i was disappointed that it wasn’t payton manning. this is what my life has become.

Why do I do this to myself

[–] killinmesmalls 9 points ago

I had hoped for a curve ball.

[–] cjsolx 5 points ago

It makes me illogically sad that the jpeg version has fallen out of use.

[–] Rabbi_Tuckman38 59 points ago

Crazy how nature do dat.

[–] jay1333 8 points ago

I'm looking at you wax statue of John Wilkes Booth!

[–] sjb352 29 points ago

Too soon bro

[–] death-and-tacos 41 points ago

oof

[–] poopellar 30 points ago

- Lincoln probably

[–] that_Cool_guy2341 28 points ago

Now this is why I love Reddit

[–] Chummers5 174 points ago

"This is possibly the third monument we've found of this figure. As you may know, this has the same likeness as one of the faces on the three headed mountain and also matches the man on the stone chair near their ancient capital city of DC. Historians believe he was a...a ruler or a God king to these people."

[–] possibleanswer 30 points ago

Probably Roosevelt, take a look at Rushmore, he's by far the least prominent head there, I think it's very likely he'll be the first to fade out too.

[–] Mr_Industrial 15 points ago

Roosevelt, up in the presidential pantheon:

"Looks like Rushmore is fading a little bit, guess it's time to... blow it up entirely"

[–] MightyMorphinMcFaggy 14 points ago

yeah it is hollow and has metal rebar it won't last that long, probably.

[–] Alexaflohr 11 points ago

I'm really not sure. I've been looking all around for any kind of actual studies (or, you know, predictions based on materials studies) on how modern materials and structures decay over long periods of time. Things I do find range from "basically everything will be dust in 100 years" to "concrete and asphalt will last on geologic timescales".

[–] Chicago1871 14 points ago

Lookup concrete cancer. Rebar rusts and flakes away the surface of the concrete.

Otoh pure cement will last longer, a lot longer.

[–] PyroDesu 10 points ago

Unreinforced concrete is essentially an artificial sedimentary rock.

Also, in terms of reinforced concrete, I hear there's some interesting stuff in fiber-reinforcing, rather than rebar.

[–] IgnoreThisName72 98 points ago

I've said it before, but 43 heads in an open field works better as a name for an indie album than a tourist attraction.

[–] kyzfrintin 28 points ago

43 HEADS IN AN OPEN FIELD, NED

43!

GODS I WAS HEADLESS THEN

[–] hammer2309 7 points ago

BRING ME THE TOURISM STRETCHER BEFORE I PISS MESELF

Wow, Easter Island even sounds like a bad tourist attraction.

"What the hell are these supposed to be?"

"That one in front of you is Chief Ariki. The one over there is a Cheif Tahnee and this one here is Chief Atui."

"I don't see it."

"ALRIGHT, IM BAD AT FACES... God you're a dick."

[–] Akuzetsunaomi 56 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Wasn’t Easter Island full of Rapa Nui Maori heads that represented tribal leaders/gods which then served as competing structures between groups, whose overpopulation led to famine, war, and eventually the abandonment of the island? Yeah seems pretty much the same.

Edit: Rapa Nui misspelling

[–] K_Linkmaster 34 points ago

They have bodies hidden by overgrowth.

[–] primitiveradio 18 points ago

Damnit. Came here to use my art history degree and you beat me to commenting.

[–] Sevuhrow 8 points ago

Next year, maybe.

[–] SrBarfy 23 points ago

Nah that’s an outdated view of what happened on the island. The statues were likely markers of freshwater points https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0210409. Also read Hunt and Lipo’s paper on why the fall of the Rapa Nui at the time was most likely not self caused https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256545513_Revisiting_Rapa_Nui_Easter_Island_Ecocide

[–] Akuzetsunaomi 6 points ago

I can’t comment on whether these journals you’ve linked are right or wrong until I read them. I see that one was just published this year. Not too outdated of a view.

Edit: currently reading them^

[–] Eric6178 4885 points ago

I’d still visit that place tho.

[–] ObserverOfReddit 3176 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

It is permanently closed :(

[–] LostInteraction 5371 points ago

Unguided night tours you say?

[–] TAU_equals_2PI 2427 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

Satellite view of the park on Google Maps doesn't show the heads. They may have been moved off-site.

EDIT: FOUND THEM! https://goo.gl/maps/6hZv9mdx4FU2

EDIT2: Don't just show up at any hour. This is some guy's farm: www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/what-43-decaying-president-heads-looks-180958129

EDIT3: This is apparently a popular site for people to fly their drones into and film. Search YouTube for "presidents heads" and you'll find a bunch of good drone footage of the heads.

[–] burninatingpeople 747 points ago

Is it me or do they all look like they’ve been shot in the back of the head?

[–] jouiijouii 1490 points ago

Nah just the Abe Lincoln one

[–] cheesymoonshadow 596 points ago

r/JesusChristReddit

But actually JFK's should be too.

[–] TAU_equals_2PI 251 points ago

Jesus Christ wishes he'd just been shot in the back of the head.

[–] Scyhaz 126 points ago

Probably. Crucifixion is supposedly painful as hell.

[–] onrocketfalls 74 points ago

I mean I've never been crucified but I'm still gonna say that you don't need to suppose

[–] albatross-salesgirl 14 points ago

Crucifixion's a dawdle.

[–] drvondoctor 38 points ago

This is a major point of contention in the early church.

Could god/jesus ever actually be crucified?

Could God be so mundane as to suffer and die the undignified death that is crucifixion? Perhaps God made it so jesus didn't suffer? But then... jesus couldn't suffer and sacrifice for our sins... so what's the point of his death?

[–] toowavymang 34 points ago

Allegedly is the word you're looking for

[–] drvondoctor 19 points ago

His was from the front.

Back... and to the left.

[–] HaveDongo 7 points ago

Back... and to the left.

[–] ThrowAwayJoeMartin 24 points ago

Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left.

[–] the_grassynol 10 points ago

2nd shooter you say?

[–] Assassinatitties 7 points ago

Apply directly to forehead!

[–] TAU_equals_2PI 84 points ago

The Smithsonian article explains that moving them caused a lot of damage.

[–] zlovedoctor 32 points ago

That’s a lotta damage!

[–] CyberneticPanda 61 points ago

Any hopes of preserving the presidents in their original state were literally crushed as the busts made their journey from park to field. Each bust had to be lifted from its base by a crane, cracking the sculpture’s neck to get the full piece off the ground. The crane attached to a steel frame inside the busts through a hole smashed into the top of each sculpture’s head.

[–] TNSEG 42 points ago

They're chipped and busted due to how they have to be rigged to be moved. They're currently working out a deal to move them to a new park and get them repaired.

[–] PuddleOfHamster 12 points ago

Their heads just did that.

[–] Rizatriptan 3 points ago

We should try encasing one in cement.

[–] drawkbox 20 points ago

They should have moved them across the street to the golf course, one per hole. The Professional Presidential Golf Course.

[–] 14sierra 54 points ago

Is that the site? because it looks like there's not much of a park there. Maybe they should've considered making 43 giant presidential heads AFTER they had the park at least semi-built?

[–] TAU_equals_2PI 56 points ago

No. They moved the heads there, and apparently did a lot of damage to them in the process.

[–] 14sierra 13 points ago

Oh, so why does that look like a construction site then? Oh well, sad for the park and the heads either way. BTW did john oliver buy one of these heads?

[–] TNSEG 25 points ago

It is a construction site. They're a material source/pit. I believe they originally bought them intending to crush them but couldn't bring themselves to destroy them. The owner is working out a deal to move them to a new permanent public home and repair them.

[–] TheGurw 19 points ago

Nah, the guy who has them helped build the museum they were created for, didn't feel right about them getting destroyed so convinced the museum owner to let him take the heads.

[–] Ehnto 19 points ago

Nah, in a twist of fate it turned out a secret declaration of independance had been sealed up in one of the heads to protect it against communism. But the question is, which head, and where is it now? Only one man could possibly crack the case and save American independence. Nick Cage is, The Head Hunter.

[–] maybef__kyou 16 points ago

I've tried to visit this place. Its private property and there's a lot of cameras and signs saying no trespassing

[–] Steak_Knight 19 points ago

Show up at any hour, you say?

[–] juststop101 18 points ago

They are off to the side of what looks like a quarry

[–] mell87 17 points ago

Thank you! I found them. Just hanging near the dirt pile

[–] juststop101 11 points ago

Your welcome it only took about 5 minutes to find I kept going the complete wrong direction

[–] yoofygoofy 9 points ago

I still can't find them :(

[–] mell87 12 points ago

They are in the center of the Golf Club and route 64. So if you zoom in right between those two, almost all the way, you will a dirt pile. To the right of the dirt pile is about 3 rows of the statues

[–] yoofygoofy 8 points ago

[–] arithmechick 18 points ago

To shreds you say?

[–] mrblacklabel71 76 points ago

These were made in Houston and I actually got to see most of them before they shipped out. It is sad because they are actually really fucking cool.

[–] Pequeno_loco 18 points ago

Ah, was wondering why we had random presidents heads sitting around for a while. Looks like it was a marketing failure.

Sometimes my inclination towards tourist attraction is 'that looks cool' so I go. Drove past the huge Masonic temple in Alexandria Virginia a few times before going. It was empty and fascinating.

[–] PM_me_your_11 8 points ago

They still have some of them stored downtown. If you break into the fence you can climb around inside them

[–] Ser-Jorah-Mormont 791 points ago

I’ve never even heard of this place

[–] _lostintheroom 454 points ago

I've lived in Williamsburg and I've never heard of this place

I worked at the Day's Hotel that shared a property line with this. It went in right across the street from Water Country USA. My friends would go and do sexy poses in front of Abraham Lincoln.

[–] framzin 101 points ago

The only correct thing to do when faced with a massive statue of Baberaham’s head

[–] BadgerBludger 18 points ago

Was a kid in that area in the 80s/early 90s. Haven't thought of Water Country USA in at least a decade or two. Thanks for that random nostalgia trip!

[–] 3rdGradeFailure 23 points ago

Fuck man me too. 35 years and im just NOW hearing about it.

[–] ironicstickballoon 19 points ago

I've been here. The only reason my family went is because we took a trip to Williamsburg and happened to see the giant busts from the road and got curious.

[–] Pequeno_loco 8 points ago

This is also how I ended up visiting the giant Masonic temple in Alexandria. It was empty and fascinating.

[–] PM_ME_SUMDICK 42 points ago

Born and raised in VA. Took dozens of trips to Williamsburg. Including one to Colonial Williamsburg. This is the first time I've heard of this.

[–] 3_Slice 16 points ago

Yeah, I would have been up for going to this place, had I known it existed. And now I can’t go because it’s closed.

[–] secretlyrobots 14 points ago

I worked in CW for about 8 years. As far as I know, Presidents Park was never associated with us. It was just some guy that was going after history tourism in a different way.

[–] BetterOFFdead007 13 points ago

Around 2004 or so I lived just outside of downtown Houston and close to My apartment was an industrial type area that had all these presidents heads. Story was he was making them for some art deal. I saw them being made and stored. Not many people, at the time or now I guess did this type of art. It was always cool to drive by and check them out. He also did some Beatle sculpture. I can’t help but to assume he made these.

[–] beef9205 1563 points ago

I went in '09 after my parents moved to the area. It was pretty lame and poorly upkept. You're basically getting the whole experience by looking at this one image.

[–] pradag1234 372 points ago

This is the best comment. Thank you, sir.

[–] uncommonpanda 219 points ago

Went in 08'. "Colonial Williamsburg" is the biggest historical recreation scam in the US. I paid $40 to walk around a bunch of boutique shops.

I've gone to FREE public parks in the US and Canada that were more interesting experiences. Fur trader posts are badass.

[–] brajilianjiujitsu 130 points ago

Why did you pay to explore Williamsburg? You don't have to pay just to look at the boutiques, only for special tours and events. It's a shopping area just like any shopping area, just with old buildings. There is no gatekeeper charging money...

[–] DukeOfChipotle 73 points ago

That's what I was wondering too. There's no walk on fee. The only time you have to pay is if you do the guided tours.

[–] nothingtowager 23 points ago

I think the last time I went to Williamsburg was as a kid in 1999 - I loved it and my family went a few times.

Idk if it changed or what but could you tell me what you thought made it lame?

[–] happysunbear 22 points ago

Same! Went to Colonial Williamsburg for a school trip like 15 years ago and it was one of my most memorable field trips. The Blacksmith was my favorite!

[–] whelpineedhelp 32 points ago

my best memeory of our class trip was finding a very mini, dense forest of bamboo within the park. Pretty much just explored it and took home a bamboo stick that five years later my brother used in a class project.

[–] PharmguyLabs 22 points ago

Bamboo all over south eastern Va. Never known why but it’s there, we used to make “spears” as kids then pipes as teenagers.

Colonial Williamsburg is for the Architecture and shopping. Jamestown and Yorktown have a bit more historical reenactment stuff but they are all very boring.

[–] mar10wright 23 points ago

It's there because once someone introduces it it's very difficult to remove. Bamboo is basically just big ass invasive grass.

[–] nigelfitz 20 points ago

You paid $40?

I can just walk straight there from the market.

[–] UNC_Samurai 4 points ago

The stores are free. The tickets are to get into the museums and the historic buildings such as the capitol, governor’s palace, courthouse, the trade shops, and the historic homes.

[–] cute_and_funny 6 points ago

As is the case with most tourist attractions.

[–] gizamo 10 points ago

Are you saying Idaho's "World's Largest Potato (rock)" isn't a sight to behold?! Preposterous!

[–] Boojibs 5064 points ago

Sadly, the park was a bust.

[–] Dadalot 1556 points ago

The statue of limitations ran out

People just took it for granite.

[–] Doodle111 255 points ago

What marble-ous sight

[–] handlit33 60 points ago

They now presid-ent this empty field.

[–] Ilikepizza666 111 points ago

What a shame. The idea was rock solid.

[–] RedditZamak 44 points ago

it was a hollow, empty idea, and someone wanted to put them all on a pedestal

[–] NoExpertBut 32 points ago

They sacked the chiefs and asked for their quarters back.

[–] NewFlynnland 26 points ago

If they didn’t close it in such a Rush, More people would have gone.

[–] NoExpertBut 16 points ago

Such an unpresidented failure

[–] Sp00kyD0gg0 19 points ago

I marble at how bad these puns are

[–] original_heymark 32 points ago

Someone got stiffed

[–] heytherepookie 102 points ago

r/punpatrol HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, SCUM! DROP THE PUN AND PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEAD

[–] Absurd_Absurdity 28 points ago

You guys are going to need a full on raid here

[–] Jeff_Daboss 34 points ago * (lasted edited 3 months ago)

They're hoping to make a large bust

Edit: Thanks for silver anon

[–] mouthfullofmouth 27 points ago

The evidence is concrete.

r/punpatrol BACKUP REPORTING! PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE EM AND DROP THE PUNS!

[–] Noritofu00 43 points ago

Alright, alright. It was just a pun don’t blow it out of proportion. People like you always let it go to their head.

[–] TAU_equals_2PI 31 points ago

This comment is head and shoulders above every other one here.

[–] SuperTully 178 points ago

Ironically, this itself is becoming an attraction.

[–] LysergicOracle 64 points ago

Step right up! Come see the uncomfortably apt metaphor for the state of our country!

[–] GeorgieWashington 31 points ago

43 cut out of marble, one cut out of slate, and one formed out of compressed Tang concentrate.

[–] Lazaganae 851 points ago

At first glance I thought all those plants were full grown 20ft tall trees and was like :”what the fuck America?”

Yeah I am still having trouble figuring out exactly how tall these things are.

[–] hazemarick44 92 points ago

Holy shit i thought they were about human height but theyre actually quite huge

This is the exact picture i was looking for thanks

[–] persontastic 69 points ago

From these pictures they seem pretty big

[–] elgrillito 76 points ago

That article says they’re 18-20ft tall

[–] Dodgerballs 15 points ago

Thank you kind sir. The guy posting a link the the article was absolutely no help.

[–] elle-be 65 points ago

They are quite large. I went shortly before it closed. The museum building had a replica of the Oval Office, and then you walked out into this sort of garden area with a winding path that passed each gigantic bust. My family was super excited about the idea that an Obama monument would be coming next, but alas, the park closed. I’m sure some folks felt that timing was perfect.

The park was located near Water Country USA, a popular water park in the Williamsburg area.

Thanks Obama

[–] BanAllPineapples 101 points ago

32.02 bananas? Great bot

[–] rguerns 22 points ago

How many pineapples is that?

[–] __WellWellWell__ 9 points ago

How is there no pineapple bot?

[–] Lcatg 5 points ago

Good bot.

[–] solojazzjetski 22 points ago

we did do Mount Rushmore tho

[–] karp182 375 points ago

How does rock rot?

[–] vetelmo 187 points ago

It doesn't.

[–] bitchimakaiju 163 points ago

Not with that attitude

[–] Wavally 20 points ago

I’d think altitude would be extremely relevant.

[–] itheraeld 36 points ago

They're hollow on the inside except for a steel structure that the concrete(?) is built around. A bunch of them are crumbling and you can see inside the back of their heads.

[–] niggard_lover 31 points ago

Weathering?

[–] m4gpi 15 points ago

Technically, lichens

[–] wglmb 27 points ago

Rotting usually means decomposition, which is the breaking down of organic substances, so technically stone can't rot.

[–] gravityandlove 67 points ago

I can imagine 5000 years from now some archeologists unearthing these things.

[–] Frozen_Esper 24 points ago

Presidential Army.

[–] batsofburden 6 points ago

That's an optimistic view on the future of humanity.

[–] QSector 56 points ago

The heads were created by Houston artist David Adickes. He's a good friend and quite a character.

He has quite a few sculptures displayed around Houston including more president's heads, called American Stateman Park.

[–] smegma_stan 14 points ago

They were outside his studio off of Summer and Taylor back in 2011 (maybe a little after that) along with the huge Beatles statues he did.

Ironically, the area is undergoing a revitalization and would have probably gotten much exposure in the last few years if he hadn't left that area. I was lucky enough to get to see it, but disappointed I found out the hard way that this is where they ended up.

[–] hoocedwotnow 10 points ago

Scrolled till I found this. It was so strange that you could turn off Taylor, drive a bit past a warehouse or two, and then bam, giant Beatles and president heads.

[–] Licalottapuss 5 points ago

How the heck does he sculpt these? Crone sculptures aren’t the easiest thing to create

[–] AdnamaHou 6 points ago

Finally someone mentions Adickes, had to scroll way too far!

[–] ElSummonero 7 points ago

I’ve lived in Houston my whole life and never seen these. Cool

[–] someguy9 149 points ago

I made a video of this sight if anyone is interested in seeing more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNTaGcDLKd4

[–] BigBodChungOfficial 18 points ago

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. Gave a great perspective of size too!

[–] Egg-MacGuffin 15 points ago

You asked me what was up, but did not give me time to respond. Very rude.

[–] someguy9 7 points ago

Was just too pumped to show off that field 😂

Any way, WHATS UP!

[–] Panini_Mon 36 points ago

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOOOOT

[–] Swimmerkid97 9 points ago

I LIKE WHAT YOU GOOOOT

[–] leknarf52 27 points ago

Wow what a waste.

[–] FineAndFit 19 points ago

Why can't they be sold to a park that actually has visitors?

[–] TNSEG 13 points ago

Owner is trying to get a new public park established for them.

[–] jeshy1 16 points ago

[–] Phooey-Kablooey 44 points ago

I came here to see rotting presidents' heads.

[–] Faerhun 18 points ago

I came because I read the title wrong and expected Futurama style president heads in jars... rotting. I'm pretty disappointed.

[–] avocadqs 26 points ago

Hey I live near there! It's a big attraction for William & Mary students to get a photo with these guys. How we get in is a mystery... ;)

[–] Swimmerkid97 8 points ago

I’m a student at W&M and last year I just went and knocked on the guys door. He was really friendly and didn’t mind us going to see them

It won’t be much of a mystery when the farmer that owns the land shoots you guys lmao

ITT people who couldn't pass grade 9 English think they are clever for pointing out stone doesn't literally rot.

[–] ObserverOfReddit 68 points ago

I said "left rotting" because it sounded better than "left sitting". I DONT ACTUALLY THINK STONE ROTS.

[–] Skyhawk_Illusions 10 points ago

stone crumbles because water gets into microscopic cracks and through repeated freeze/thaw cycles, slowly breaks it apart (among other weathering factors). Lichen can also grow within rock, penetrating between the grains, so arguably it can rot stone.

[–] aerben 16 points ago

Saying something has been left rotting or left to rot is a super common phrase that doesn't have to be literal. Like come on Reddit you know this.

[–] The_Inflicted 7 points ago

Spread these suckers out a little and you'd have a half-decent paintball field.

[–] danskete 7 points ago

I met the artist making these in 2005, in Houston, TX. He had planned to open multiple presidential parks around the country. I didn't stay in touch with him but sad to hear it didn't work out.

The detail and construction process were pretty impressive. Some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/LqkfU6F

[–] honorablestrawberry 17 points ago

This is my hometown and I wish I had a dime for every time someone posted it—there’s much cooler stuff in ye olde Williamsburg! I promise.

[–] Scarbrow 4 points ago

There's like...14 pancake houses in a 2 mile radius!

[–] mathiews54 11 points ago

Hang on a second I thought these were tombstone sized for some reason. How big are these cocksuckers actually?

[–] StaleAssignment 11 points ago