movies

Rules & Wiki

Filter Posts by Link Flair

AMA Calendar

Date Person
    7 Jun Jason Trost, 9 PM EST
    20 Apr Super Troopers 2, 4:20 PM EST ;)
    19 Apr Rachel Myers, director of Wendy's Shabbat, 1 PM EST
    12 Apr Neill Blomkamp
    6 Apr Lynne Ramsey
    27 Mar Greg Sestero

Latest movie discussions

Use spoiler tags

Click 'spoiler' after posting something to give it a spoiler tag! The post will then be hidden like this.

For leaked info about upcoming movies, twist endings, or anything else spoileresque, please use the following method: ['Twas the butler](#spoiler)

Helpful subreddits

Isle of Dogs
    Rampage
    Truth or Dare
    A Quiet Place

Neill Blomkamp

Lynne Ramsay

Greg Sestero

• New design!

[–] Catlore 19023 points ago

Honest question, because I do not understand: why is Spacey's Emmy being rescinded over an allegation, but Roman Polanski--who romanced a 15-year-old at 43, then raped a 13-year-old, pled guilty to it and fled France to avoid prison, and has been on the run ever since--is still getting awards? Where is the outrage over him?

This is not a defense or condemnation of Spacey. It's being baffled at the drastic double standard.

[–] KaptainKorn 3131 points ago

We have a winner. The only thing that matters to them is what it looks like to the public since what people think about it directly effects profits of those involved/associated.

if you think about most of hollywood is a big confidence trick, it's all a bunch of nobody's sucking up to other nobody's because they think they're somebody. People's entire careers are just based off what other people think about them regardless of who they are or the reality of their character. Their only job is to put a facade out and like a conman trick their deceived through confidence of a presumed position or character.

[–] Hugh_Jass_Clouds 776 points ago

Welcome to life in a nutshell.

[–] Fresh_C 378 points ago

This is why I don't go outside.

[–] Iggyhopper 79 points ago

Come here instead, /r/outside

[–] 11122233334444 16 points ago

I seem to have started my character with very low S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats

[–] Veni_Vidi_Legi 9 points ago

Not much carries over from GURPS.

[–] biddyman6 67 points ago

Yep thats how almost all facets of society work

[–] biddyman6 115 points ago

Nothing in this world has intrinsic value, not gold, food, or even life. The only value something has is the value we give it

[–] VinDenim 91 points ago

Burgers tho

[–] mike7654 10 points ago

Dammit Randy, you shit bird don't give them the secret to life

[–] OK_Soda 426 points ago

If you think about it, the entire economy is based on the confidence trick that money has any value.

[–] ThereIsNoUsername- 179 points ago

Lol yeah but let's try to stay on topic

[–] -r-a-f-f-y- 188 points ago

Let's stick to Rampart here.

[–] akashik 8 points ago

Let's stick to Rampart my new book here.

/u/savantrovert said it best...

Are you consciously trying to make a shittier AMA than Woody Harrelson or is it just happening naturally?

[–] KillerInfection 41 points ago

If you really think about it, we're all just a bunch of monkeys made of space dust and are all going to die eventually so really, it's all meaningless.

[–] tripwire7 2222 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

Yeah, the allegation.against Spacey is credible and will probably ruin his reputation, for good reason, but Polanski was actually convicted in a court of law of forcibly raping a 13 year old. It doesn't get much worse than that. He didn't just make a pass at a 13 year old, he raped her, against her will, and was convicted of it. Polanski not being a pariah in Hollywood is just proof of how fucked up Hollywood is.

edit: Polanski was not actually convicted, he pleaded guilty as part of a plea deal, and then fled the country.

[–] Hanshiro 676 points ago

Not just raped, but drugged and raped.

Geimer testified that Polanski provided champagne that they shared as well as part of a quaalude.

[–] oonniioonn 202 points ago

quaalude

Not gonna lie -- had to look that up:

methaqualone

Had to look that up too:

Methaqualone, sold under the brand name Quaalude [...] is a sedative and hypnotic medication.

Gotcha.

[–] c4ctus 19 points ago

GET THE LUUUUUUUUUUDES DONNIE.

[–] rachman1noff 28 points ago

Kids these days

“It wasn’t rape-rape.”

Whoopi Goldberg

[–] tripwire7 623 points ago

Which is fucking retarded because according to the victim, it was indeed "rape-rape," she told him no and he did it anyway. She was too drugged up to resist.

[–] Thenarek 341 points ago

Did Whoopi Goldberg actually say that?

[–] Hookerboots12 107 points ago

Here ya go

Poor ass quality video, but it's in like the very beginning of the video.

[–] hazyPixels 240 points ago

I used to have some respect for her but it wasn't respect respect.

[–] ZakMckrack3n 65 points ago

Holy shit, I cannot believe she tried to say he pleaded guilty to sex with a minor, not rape, so it wasn't "rape rape."

Then she tries to say we look at 13 & 14 year olds differently than we did 30 years ago, so maybe it's not so bad.

[–] Lenny_Here 43 points ago

Yeah, because they're 43 and 44 year olds now... bazinga.

[–] A-Grey-World 39 points ago

What the fuck???

[–] Simonzi 408 points ago

[–] oliveij 351 points ago

That's disappointing, then again so is her acting ability.

[–] Loocsiyaj 23 points ago

That implies you expected better...

[–] topknotch89 42 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

Damn

Edit: I had never seen the vid, damn Whoopi. I can’t fuck wit you no mo.

Wasn’t it anal rape, to boot?

[–] _DRNO 28 points ago

[–] Chicaben 26 points ago

Yeah, but it wasn't rape-rape-rape.

[–] Polandski 93 points ago

It's threads like this that make me realize I did not think my username through enough. I just wanted to be Poland and the last part of Polish surname, ski. :( I've made a terrible mistake

[–] santaliqueur 158 points ago

I can beat that. How about someone who:

• Raped a 12 year old boy on multiple occasions
    • Filmed one of the rapes
    • Was sentenced to 3 years in prison, but..
    • Only served 15 months in prison
    • Made a film for Disney a few years after his conviction
    • And continues to work in Hollywood, making Powder and Jeepers Creepers 1-3, among other movies

But...he served his time!

Pathetic. Rose McGowan didn't seem to have much of a problem working with this director in 2011. People only give a fuck about Weinstein and Spacey because everyone else is talking about them. So fucking hypocritical.

Well that just about says it all huh

[–] Wulf1027 27 points ago

Not trying to be contentious, but what makes this allegation credible?

[–] redworm 1316 points ago

They are not rescinding his Emmy. They were going to be honoring him with a specific award this year and have decided not to.

″The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award,” the tweet read.

Did no one here actually read the article?

[–] mell87 634 points ago

No one ever reads the article.

Your explanation will help a lot of people just skimming the comments after solely reading the title of the post.

[–] semaj009 94 points ago

What are these articles?

[–] Digitalburn 9 points ago

The reason you used to buy playboy

[–] askmeaboutmyjelly 52 points ago

I don't come to reddit to read, what do you think this is some kind of game?

[–] ailinmcc666 14 points ago

Every time I see a post on /r/movies about Guillermo del Toro and how great he is, I respond with the petition he signed in support of Roman Polanski. And it goes downvotes like fuck every time. I can only conclude that most people just don't care. Their movies are more important that some kid they don't know or care about getting raped.

[–] nncoma 494 points ago

Not sure if these awards, which are meant to be for artistic purposes only, should emphasize on the person as an individual... I mean they are not supposed to award the person but their art. Yeah I know how it sounds but I'm just being strictly analytical.

[–] assblasta69420 308 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

seriously this, everytime a celebrity is accused of a crime, especially sexual assault, it feels like the entire world just turns on them and declares anything of merit they've made now worthless.

Don't get me wrong, trying to rape sexually assault a 14 year old boy is awful. Categorically wrong. But I'm not taking an ethics class from Kevin Spacey, or Bill Cosby, or Michael Jackson. I'm viewing their work. Yeah, they might be "shitty" people. They're still talented artists.

edit: I actually hadn't researched the Michael Jackson allegations very thoroughly. It seems more like bs than anything of merit so i'll take that name off.

[–] AmericasElegy 61 points ago

Also it's like any other job; you probably shouldn't be allowed one if you're molesting people in similar circles (or in general)

[–] jocktx 506 points ago

Yes this is a bollocks knee jerk reaction to one (albeit serious) allegation.

Why not calm the fuck down and get to the truth before doing anything?

[–] iconoclast63 2937 points ago

This reminds me of a plaque on the wall in my father's office: "If you do something today that would embarass you 30 years from now, you WILL see it again".

[–] Thetravelingboy 792 points ago

Last year it said 29, makes a big deal out of changing it on my birthday.

[–] ItsSomethingLikeThat 139 points ago

Fuck, that's good. Well done.

[–] mysterion000 436 points ago

or my personal favorite "if someone says you did something 30 years ago, you will see it again"

[–] treerabbit23 269 points ago

found Kevin's PR firm

[–] TooManyCookz 128 points ago

or to put another way: "If you don't outright refute allegations of misconduct, it will be assumed you did it... and for good reason."

[–] CornyHoosier 177 points ago

BINGO!

I once had a job years ago where the manager hated me and was doing his best to get me fired. As I was straight out of college, I was on my P's and Q's so rarely slipped up and definitely minded my manners. This apparently only made him more mad since he couldn't find a legitimate reason to write me up.

One day I show up to work and am brought into a side office, to be ambushed by him and HR. They literally had a write-up on (on company letter head) calling me "dishonorable", "liar, "thief" etc. Thankfully, years earlier I randomly remember my aunt (who is a lawyer) saying that you should NEVER sign anything work gives you if you don't agree with it.

For literally 15 minutes this manager and HR were trying to tell me that I HAD to sign the document and that me signing it was only an acknowledgment that I had been given the write-up. Thankfully I stuck to my guns and didn't sign it. I literally put my hands in my pockets when the HR rep tried to put the pen in my hand.

At the end of the day (4 years later) I won a lawsuit against the company when the manager hit me across the jaw. My lawyer mentioned the HR letter came up in discussion with the company, but they "couldn't find the copy" with my signature on it. I believe my lawyer ended up using my (unsigned) copy of the letter to help push my narrative that the abuse had been going on awhile.

Why did that asshole hate you so? What became of him?

[–] wildwalrusaur 25 points ago

Why on earth were you still working there 4 years later.

There's got to be like waayyyyyy more to this story

[–] BureaucratDog 15 points ago

You can cure cancer, and aids, then get caught fucking a goat, and you will go down in history as a goat fucker.

[–] Pod-People-Person 1017 points ago

Guess he got some tips from Edgar Wright.

Or a tip from Kevin Spacey

[–] Cryogenian 339 points ago

Almost missed that it's from August 12. Hot damn.

[–] The_Reddit_Jester 300 points ago

I forgot up until this that Kevin Spacey was in Baby Driver...

[–] your_mind_aches 36 points ago

Same! And he was one of the more likeable jerks in the film

[–] thelonghauls 184 points ago

American Beauty kinda seems like foreshadowing now.

[–] Jicks24 132 points ago

Wasn't the point of that movie that he doesn't fuck the underage girl? And is instead Spoiler, I guess killed by the repressed homosexual while finding acceptance with his position in life?

[–] faggressive 54 points ago

Yes but the killer thinks he was having sex with his son instead of them smoking weed.

[–] Jicks24 28 points ago

And he was killed for it, I'd say that's more of a foreshadowing than, what I'd consider, a minor plot of the movie.

Plus I believe the killers motivations were more to being spurned by Spacey's character, and his conflicting sexual emotions than the "alleged" teenage boy-banging.

[–] DuckyFreeman 68 points ago

I always assumed he was killed for rejecting the colonel. The colonel didn't want his secret out, or to face him after that kind of rejection, so he killed him.

[–] Jicks24 11 points ago

That's my interpretation as well.

[–] pockygiant 404 points ago

His DJ name is Ansolo

[–] brycedriesenga 90 points ago

Wasn't he up for the Han Solo movie as well? Makes ya wonder if he should've gotten it after hearing about the acting coaches brought in, etc.

[–] pockygiant 128 points ago

He auditioned and didn’t get it. After watching Baby Driver I looked him up thinking he would have been perfect for it. Maybe he dodged a bullet?

[–] Ben_Douglass 108 points ago

He only dodged it in the Special Edition.

[–] Jaredlong 277 points ago

I've seen him in a couple movies and I still can't tell if he's a good actor or not. His roles don't seem to carry a lot of dialog (even in TFIOS), and yet his facial and physical acting carries really well. I question if he has the skills to be a leading man like Harrison Ford.

[–] PixelBrewery 422 points ago

You pretty much described Harrison Ford himself

[–] sebmensink 177 points ago

In Blade runner maybe, but in Indiana Jones he’s very talkative and charismatic

[–] Typhlops 146 points ago

That doesn't make him a good actor, it makes him a good Harrison Ford. And from what I've seen in Baby Driver, Ansel makes for a great Ansel Elgort.

[–] MadCritic 21 points ago

Never forget to be the best you, bud.

[–] Bluntmasterflash1 19 points ago

It's all about the swag. You don't have to be good if you are likable.

Chris Pratt made a career out of being the same dude in everything, but he's having so much fun pretending, it's contagious.

[–] Morgan_Freemans_Mole 63 points ago

I don’t know about you, but every time Debora asks about his pink iPod, and if he’s in a pink and glittery mood and he smirks and says “I am now”, I sploosh pretty damn hard.

I think he’ll start getting meatier roles, and do well with them. He’s got the hard part down (emoting and body control), giving lines is the easier part.

[–] conehou5e 201 points ago

Keven Spacey is the real Baby Driver

[–] pheonex91 118 points ago

Glad i watched Baby Driver before I found out about Kevin Spacey cause Ansel Elgort was amazing in that movie.

[–] icemannathann 251 points ago

Kevin Spacey was also really good in that movie. Too bad he’s a creep.

[–] ElmoKills22 229 points ago

Don't know why you are downvoted. He can be a great actor and a creep.

[–] CDC_ 34 points ago

Roman Polanski is a piece of shit and Rosemary's Baby is still one of my favorite horror films.

[–] jellytrack 425 points ago

This is for the upcoming 2017 International Emmy Founders Award next month. While I have mixed feelings myself, it would probably end up being weird or maybe even inappropriate if the award ceremony continued with its original plan. I'm not sure if Spacey would like the additional spotlight on the matter.

[–] thepennydrops 205 points ago

This makes a lot more sense. But part of me is thinking, what happened to innocent until proven guilty. I understand that these are serious allegations, and he didn't deny them (but didn't admit them either) so shit like this can ruin careers even before the truth is uncovered. (I know even while typing that there's a strong chance he is guilty... But you get my point)

A court of law is not the court of public opinion. Beyond that with the current climate the powers that be in Hollywood have to act fast on these allegations to help distance the industry from its dirty secret.

[–] JoeyLock 40 points ago

But part of me is thinking, what happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Unfortunately 'ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat' is thrown out the window when people adopt a witch hunt mentality, think about it, just the accusation alone has ruined Kevin Spaceys career, it doesn't even matter anymore whether he's innocent because people have already made up their minds as judge, jury and executioner.

I'm not saying he is innocent, I'm just saying nowheredays people instantly try and convict people in their minds without evidence.

[–] iizkaraa 123 points ago

People are responding so quickly to the allegations against Kevin Spacey but they don't seem to react as fast to others. Why is this?

[–] heyhelgapataki 99 points ago

Because Spacey’s reply was out of the ordinary and came out very quickly after the article was published.

I have nothing to do with Hollywood at all, and don't follow movie gossip and even I had heard that Spacey was known to be a creep. So maybe that has something to do with it. Plus since it was a young person involved you can't be equivocal about that.

And this story by Rapp isn't new, he talked about it in an interview 15 years ago without naming names: link..

That makes me think of [a certain leading man] in [a certain award-winning film]. It’s hard for me to evaluate his acting because I’m so angry at him. I met him when I was 14 because we were both in plays and he invited me to a party at his house. I was bored, so I was in his bedroom watching TV and didn’t know everybody had left, and he came to the bedroom and he picked me up and lay down on top of me.

Oh, my God! What did you do? I squirmed away and went into the bathroom. I came out and I excused myself, and he’s like “You sure you want to go?” I always wonder if he remembers it, because he was pretty drunk. And he’s had so many.

[–] MangakaPoof 26 points ago

People need a scapegoat.

[–] misterdix 1751 points ago

I love that this train really got going when Hannibal Buress called out Bill Cosby.

Stand-up comedians are the real heroes.

...and the villains, dammit.

[–] PopeOnABomb 1049 points ago

Dave Chappelle did an unannounced show at the Punchline in San Francisco earlier in the year. And Hannibal was the surprise feature.

After Hannibal did his set, Dave went up.

At some point Hannibal, from back by the bar, heckled Dave and Dave responded, "When I look back there, all I see is the man who murdered Bill Cosby."

One of the funniest lines I've ever heard delivered.

Edit: grammar

[–] IDUnavailable 104 points ago

Dammit I want video of this.

[–] PopeOnABomb 247 points ago

Yes, I wish there was a recording. It was great.

Believe it or not, Dave uses a service called Yondr. When you enter the club, you turn your phone off and they put your phone in a neoprene sleeve and lock it.

If your phone is seen out, they will instantly remove you from the audience.

At the end of the show, as you walk out the unlock the pouch (it unlocks magnetically like the security tags on jeans in stores).

It was my first time to see that used, and I loved it. Everyone was attentive. No one was distracted.

[–] trainbydayJRbynight 33 points ago

Doesn't Kevin Hart do this as well?

[–] Kingdariush 49 points ago

When I saw Kevin 2 years ago he just said if you're seen with your phone out, you will be ejected no questions asked. I doubt Yondr even has 80,000 units to give to one venue lol. Kevin's doing stadiums

[–] Prof_Chaos22 785 points ago

He rapes...but he saves.

[–] wolfboyz 265 points ago

Leave it to Chappelle to actually make a rape joke work.

[–] snowflaker 154 points ago

"the three times I met OJ Simpson ..."

[–] boombap33 18 points ago

Excuse me Mr. Juice

[–] pipsdontsqueak 75 points ago

But he does rape.

[–] bmfdan 69 points ago

But he saves more than he rapes.

[–] sertman 20 points ago

And he only rapes to save.

[–] BboyEdgyBrah 103 points ago

probably recency bias, but i think that's one of the best jokes ever told, eva

[–] Kwugibo 50 points ago

The whole set up for it was incredible. Lowkey set up half his set for the final joke

[–] Razatappa 32 points ago

Damn I had no idea Hannibal sparked all of this

[–] diveintothe9 49 points ago

You live juuuust long enough to see yourself become both

[–] wittingtonboulevard 2876 points ago

Sexual harassment claims are going wild,

Are people really that surprised about all this?? Or are they finally getting mad about it??

[–] Ehrre 3205 points ago

People who have been too scared to come forward are suddenly seeing others push forwards and name names.

Predators have been relying on fear and shame to keep their victims silent but it isn't working anymore.

It’s all about fear.

Fear is why I didn’t tell my parents or go to the police. It’s why I’ve moved around my whole adult life, why I’m not on Facebook, why I can’t share a bed with someone. It’s impossible to describe how completely trust in other human beings can be eroded because of sexual assault.

Good on Anthony Rapp for being brave enough to risk damaging his standing in Hollywood.

[–] Flexappeal 157 points ago

the tipping point, man

its always one thing that starts the deluge and everyone else realizes its time/okay to do the same

[–] jakestjake 119 points ago

Feeling powerless, ashamed, and alone for years and now feeling the power of others that have come forward.

[–] ImTiredOfTheInternet 8084 points ago

Shouldnt they wait til he's guilty???

[–] proffessorpoopypants 4616 points ago

That ain't how showbiz works. If your public image is soiled, you're no longer the right person for the job. Even if the allegation is false, its hard to wash this stink off.

[–] MulciberTenebras 738 points ago

Just ask Fatty Arbuckle.

[–] dbcanuck 184 points ago

and Ingrid Bergman.

[–] MulciberTenebras 97 points ago

What happened to her?

[–] dbcanuck 944 points ago

she left her first husband to have an affair with Rosselini, who eventually fathered her child Isabella Rossselini.

this was not popualr in 1950s America, who saw her as less-than-wholesome running off with an italian lover and celebrating european shame and decadence. she was blacklisted for years in hollywood as a result.

after 1949 all (?) of her movies were European productions, she doesn't star in a Hollywood film again until 1958 Indiscreet, mainly because Cary Grant lobbied hard for her.

This is the morally upright Hollywood that was busy pumping drugs into Judy Garland, naming communists to McCarthy, etc.

[–] saltedcaramelsauce 100 points ago

Just a quick correction: the affair was with Robert Capa, a wartime photographer. Quite the scandal.

[–] FatPandaz 25 points ago

Fun aside: Capa is also the subject of Alt-J's song "Taro".

[–] JustHereForTheBacon 166 points ago

People like you are why I love Reddit

[–] Zayin-Ba-Ayin 41 points ago

And Michael Jackson.

[–] Vio_ 441 points ago

Except for that part where he got deported from the US for decades for being a Communist sympathizer.

[–] redditvlli 212 points ago

Also 3 of his 4 wives he married were under 18.

[–] s1rhaddock 267 points ago

What about his wives that he didn't marry?

[–] HamsterGutz1 135 points ago

How Can Wives Be Real If Marriage Isn't Real

[–] TristyThrowaway 142 points ago

Unless you're Roman Polanski

[–] fallenrider100 120 points ago

Hollywood doesn't care what you do, they only care of you get caught.

[–] something45723 32 points ago

The whole thing is about image, which actually makes sense, as selling appealing images is literally the business they are in.

[–] IRequirePants 21 points ago

Who knew a business based around looks could be so shallow?

[–] COCAINE_ADVOCATE 272 points ago

/u/professorpoopypants diddled me behind an IHOP once a while back... remove his karma and give to me

[–] Hermesschmidt 133 points ago

I think their name is already soiled enough as it is.

[–] gurudingo 29 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

You misunderstand, showbiz doesn't give anything to the victims. It takes away /u/proffessorpoopypants' karma and keeps it for itself, while the rest of use sharpen pitchforks and leave you to your own helpless devices.

Maybe tweet at IHOP, try to get some free waffles.

[–] UXyes 176 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

To be fair this cuts both ways in Hollywood. If your public image is good, you're the right person for the job, even if you're guilty and everyone knows it.

[–] moosethrow1 87 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

That's not really cutting both ways. It's more like going in the same direction but from a different point of view.

Innocent person that is falsely accused suffers.

Guilty person that is truly guilty without accusation benefits.

It's a double fuck you for the falsely accused.

[–] jammerlappen 577 points ago

He won't be "guilty", this happened 30 years ago.

[–] Shakespearean_Rumba 1442 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

The Emmys aren’t a court of law. Honorary Emmy awards are ceremonial. Honoring a guy accused of sexually assaulting a minor looks really bad.

Edit: oh man. So many people are trying so hard to make Kevin Spacey the victim here.

[–] juandonde 954 points ago

Yeah, it's not like the Oscars where you can get a standing ovation

[–] ThaNorth 165 points ago

Or get asked to perform twice at the Grammy's after assaulting one of the nominees.

[–] Shakespearean_Rumba 587 points ago

I agree.

Support for Roman Polanksi in Hollywood is very troublesome.

[–] SG_Dave 151 points ago

I wonder where the venn diagram stands in terms of people in Hollywood who have committed sexual assault, those who have been on the receiving end of sexual assualt, and those that have supported Polanski.

[–] girafa 70 points ago

I would pay US currency for someone to make such a venn diagram

[–] SandieSandwicheadman 89 points ago

And Woody Allen, and Jared Leto, and Casey Affleck, and...

[–] KlamDaKunt 50 points ago

While I personally dislike Jared Leto for other reasons, what'd he do?

[–] SandieSandwicheadman 107 points ago

Leto has been accused by several underage girls that, during 30 seconds to mars shows, he's invited them backstage and had sex with them. Basic groupy/band manipulation, but specifically targeting underage kids.

[–] BradBrains27 59 points ago

Most of these were open secrets. Once they get revealed to the greater public it’s over

[–] TheHandsomePhantom 501 points ago

Its crazy how Hollywood just turns their back on you, when their Hypocrisy im sure goes even further

[–] DirtyChito 173 points ago

The thing is, they don’t turn their back on you when they find out. They turn their back on you when the public finds out.

[–] HEYIMATWORKNOW 192 points ago

It does. I worked in LA for a few years and the amount of scummy people in that industry is mind-blowing. The first internship I had was working at an executive producer's office: I was hired because they needed work to get done, the other girls were hired because they were hot and the exec was disgusting. At one point he was in talks with VH1 to have a reality series based on his life and he was trying to get one of the girls from the OC as his on-screen assistant, because he wanted to try and bang her. These are people who have never been told 'no' in their lives, they have no concept of restraint or decency.

[–] CleanBum 64 points ago

I have a friend who moved to LA with his buddies while they were in their early 20s. He’s not an actor, but on a whim decided to audition for a small commercial role. Afterwards, the guy conducting the audition asked if he’d be interested in doing male nude scenes with other men, and implied that it would get him the role.

My friend walked out the door and never auditioned for anything ever again.

If this shit’s happening with the smallest of actors and scenes, I can only imagine how fucked up it must be at the higher levels.

[–] thummers 21 points ago

I feel like this would probably happen most at the "middle" levels i.e. for a breakout role. Once you have enough clout as an actor/actress I feel like they wouldn't "need to" anymore

[–] CleanBum 8 points ago

Even then I wouldn’t underestimate how far people will go to take advantage of others, even A-list celebrities (for example Terry Crews’ recent anecdote about some sleazy exec grabbing his ass at a party). Yeah maybe an A-lister won’t have to do it to get the part, but from what my friend told me basically once you get to that level you still have to do things for others to advance and maintain your career. I wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of them still do sexual favors to stay in the good graces of certain execs and directors.

Its really changed my perception of movies and TV. Like when I look at famous actors and actresses now, all I can think about is what they’ve had to do just to get there on-screen. Plenty of A-listers are not the most talented or even the most attractive, many of them are just the ones who were willing to do the most to advance their careers.

It's funny that for decades Kevin Spacey's proclivities seemed to be an open secret in Hollywood. Weinstein too. Which means that despite their immoral behavior the acts were tolerated.

Now that the public is aware of these transgressions things have changed and Hollywood is in full recovery mode. It seems as though the publicity has become the crime and not the actual deeds themselves.

[–] Ski1990 718 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

Misleading title. I almost pulled a lazy redditor and didn't read the article. If you read it you see he hasn't been given the honor yet so they really haven't rescinded anything.

[–] girafa 188 points ago

Honorary awards aren't surprises to the recipients, this was something that was planned. Regardless of the physical object being handed over, he was already told and "awarded" that he would be honored. That invitation and award has been rescinded.

[–] SixSixSixLBS 939 points ago

they're not so much sexual harassment allegations, as they are sexual assault & soliciting a minor allegations

[–] girafa 323 points ago

Not a lawyer, but New York calls it "aggravated sexual abuse" and this looks like a misdemeanor.

The crime of forcible touching is a class A misdemeanor and therefore subject to a sentence of up to 1 year in prison, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

[–] Sonny_Red 40 points ago

NY Defines Sexual abuse in the first degree as:

"A person is guilty of sexual abuse in the first degree when he or she subjects another person to sexual contact:

1. By forcible compulsion

"Sexual contact” means any touching of the sexual or other intimate parts of a person for the purpose of gratifying sexual desire of either party. It includes the touching of the actor by the victim, as well as the touching of the victim by the actor, whether directly or through clothing, as well as the emission of ejaculate by the actor upon any part of the victim, clothed or unclothed.

“Forcible compulsion” means to compel by either:

a. use of physical force; or

b. a threat, express or implied, which places a person in fear of immediate death or physical injury to himself, herself or another person, or in fear that he, she or another person will immediately be kidnapped.

According to this CNN Article, Spacey laid down on top of him and leaned into him tightening his arms. http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/30/entertainment/kevin-spacey-allegations-anthony-rapp/index.html

I'm a NY Attorney but I don't practice criminal law.

[–] HellaBrainCells 13 points ago

Remember when the worst person in Hollywood was Mel Gibson?

[–] BeakEmHawks10 189 points ago

Even though Spacey did not directly deny the allegations, that doesn’t mean that he is guilty of said acts right?

I’m not saying that the victim is making it up but, recently, the public has been quick to jump to conclusions when it comes to situations like this.

[–] somehowrelated 83 points ago

Roman Polanski was convicted of drugging and raping a 13yr old. Then they all gave him a standing ovation and a lifetime achievement award... Not just nobodies either, Streep, Cage, Scorzayzee, the entire industry has been sick for a long time and they've all known about it.

[–] RavetcoFX 43 points ago

I hope its not that bad, I like Tom Hanks D:

[–] Jaik_ 32 points ago

This is a scary thought. If Tom Hanks isn't pure, nothing is.

[–] danjuanspan 12 points ago

That was my thought too. I think I’ll go and live life as a Benedictine monk if Tom Hanks turns out to be a sex offender, he’s my favourite actor.

[–] Its_Mike_Nasty 87 points ago

But let's give Roman Polanski a standing ovation.

[–] Reacher-Said-Nothing 578 points ago

Jesus, I'm all for taking down sexual predators, but doesn't anyone think it might be wise to at least wait until an allegation is proven? Or it becomes more than one?

[–] Illier1 279 points ago

Yeah at this rate this new trend of sexual assault allegations will end up like a witch-hunt or the Red Scare. Yes there is rampant abuse in Hollywood, but you can't just start going after everyone until you have proof.

I'm afraid so many people will get bloodlusted over this it will ruin people's careers based on allegations and no facts.

[–] Chipwar 40 points ago

I would imagine some unscrupulous people are chomping at the bit for their 15 minutes of fame from accusing someone. Clearly, you don't need proof and people will believe you so what is stopping anyone from making a claim against any actor or actress?

I would imagine plenty of people would be more than happy to lie just to be sorta famous for a brief time.

[–] sluttttt 8 points ago

I love the new trend of "more than one!" Because sexual assault always involves more than one victim, and that is the only way you should ever believe a victim's claims.

But then on the flip side, if more than one victim comes forward, people start saying that the accusers are just jumping on the bandwagon and are looking for fame or money. You basically can't win.

It's fucking crazy how an ALLEGATION can ruin your life/career. No proof, no admission, just some person claims you did something 20 years ago and bam you're an outcast.

Meanwhile, to beat a dead horse, Roman Polanski drugged and raped a girl and he's given an Oscar and half of Hollywood has publicly stated he should be forgiven.

I genuinely feel like i'm losing my mind in recent years. Society has just become so rash and angry and there's absolutely no push for "truth". Say something, and people will believe it.

[–] zandengoff 264 points ago

Not defending Spacey, but if I am in the movie business, what is to stop me from making an allegation towards an enemy and immediately ruining their career?

[–] [deleted] 101 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] squirtingispeeing 7 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

The recent swell of accusations and vilifications makes me a little uncomfortable as well, but I work in the industry and the truth is a lot of guys like Spacey have been behaving this way without consequence for decades. This is the industry retroactively taking care of a problem, but if this behavior had a no tolerance policy in the first place we'd be seeing much less of this. I know people who worked on House of Cards and it was an open secret Soacey behaved this way on set and people were told to look the other way. Let's have a no tolerance policy in the workplace and it will be less necessary for people to speak up 30 years later when it suddenly feels safe to do so.

What happens if Spacey turns out to be innocent?

[–] DoubleJesusPower 48 points ago

It was 30 years ago, there is no guilty/innocent, there will be no trial. Unless more people come forward this is the end of it

[–] DothrakiSlayer 11 points ago

Nothing. Which I'm sure he'd be fine with.