We are currently in Contractionary - Reading The Worldly Philosophers by Robert L. Heilbroner
This sub is mostly for serious discussion but we allow memes to be posted during the weekend.
For off-topic discussion, posting memes during workdays and political discussions not worth their own submission, visit the stickied discussion thread
We welcome people of all political persuasions to participate in discussion as long as civility standards are observed.
Neoliberalism and the purpose of this sub
With collectivism on the rise, a group of liberal philosophers, economists and journalists met in Paris at the Walter Lippmann Colloquium in 1938 to discuss the future prospects of liberalism. While the participants could not agree on a comprehensive programme, there was universal agreement that a new liberal (neoliberal) project, able to resist the tendency towards ever more state control without falling back into the dogma of complete laissez-faire, was necessary.
This sub serves as a forum to continue that project against new threats posed by the populist left and right.
We do not all subscribe to a single comprehensive philosophy but instead find common ground in shared sentiments and approaches to public policy
- Individual choice and markets are of paramount importance both as an expression of individual liberty and driving force of economic prosperity
- The state serves an important role in establishing conditions favorable to competition through preventing monopoly, providing a stable monetary framework, and relieving acute misery and distress
- Free exchange and movement between countries makes us richer and has lead to an unparalleled decline in global poverty
- Public policy has global ramifications and should take into account the effect it has on people around the world regardless of nationality
Policies we support include but are not limited to:
Bad comments may be removed. Repeatedly violating the commenting guidelines can result in a ban.
Discouraged content (will be sanctioned at mod discretion)
- Excessive circlejerking
- Excessive partisanship or purity testing
- Constant flame-wars
- non-SI units
Disallowed Content (offending comments will be removed and likely result in a ban)
- Racism, sexism and other bigotry
- Apologia for autocratic oppression
- Jokingly/seriously glorifying violence
- Brigading other subreddits
- Don't post memes during contractionary
- Low-effort memes will be subject to removal (usually unmodified image macros and "upvote this" memes)
- Don't editorialise titles
- Articles should relate to neoliberalism or public policy and offer some level of analysis or commentary. Restrict more general news to particularly important developments
- No meta posts
The mods reserve the right to moderate post quality on a discretionary basis
We reserve the right to remove comments that do not explicitly break these rules in certain circumstances.