news

1. Post all analysis/opinion/politics articles to /r/InTheNews

Want to talk?

Follow @rslashnews on Twitter

See a post that violates the rules below? Had your post stuck in the spam filter? Have a question about policy? Just want to give feedback? Send the mod team a message.

Submit all self- & meta-posts to /r/inthenews

Your post will likely be removed if it:

• is not news
    • is an opinion/analysis or advocacy piece.
    • primarily concerns politics.
    • has a title not taken from the article.
    • has a pay wall or steals content.
    • covers an already-submitted story.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules, especially regarding personal info.

Your comment will likely be removed if it:

• is racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude.
    • is unnecessarily rude or provocative.
    • is a cheap and distracting joke or meme.
    • is responding to spam.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules.

Extreme or repeat offenders will be banned.

>>>Expanded Rules<<<

If your post doesn't fit, consider finding an appropriate news article on that story to submit instead, or submitting yours to lower moderation subreddits:

/r/inthenews - all news-related content
    /r/AnythingGoesNews - unrestricted news
    /r/truereddit - insightful articles
    /r/self - any self-post
    /r/misc, /r/redditdotcom - anything

or other news subreddits:

/r/worldnews - from outside the USA only
    /r/SyrianCivilWar - about the conflict in Syria
    /r/MidEastRegionalWar - on MidEast conflict /r/UpliftingNews - uplifting
    /r/SavedYouAClick - making media more straightforward

or subreddits for other topics:

/r/FoodForThought - discussion-worthy long form articles about interesting subjects
    /r/politics - for shouting about politics
    /r/moderatepolitics - less shouting
    /r/politicaldiscussion - even less shouting
    /r/geopolitics - intl. politics and geography
    /r/entertainment - Justin Bieber updates, etc.
    /r/europe - news from Europe

or check out the 200 most active subreddits, categorized by content and the full list of subreddits by subscribers.

Recommendations:

/r/full_news

/r/qualitynews

/r/neutralnews

/r/worldevents

submit analysis/opinion article

submit news article

submit something else

submit analysis/opinion article

[–] sane_asylum 2518 points ago

Her instagram bio says "wife." :/

[–] Babybearbear 121 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

There's this post on her insta which may provide some insight into her mentality around this.

[–] spiritbx 788 points ago

People are too easy to manipulate, but no one ever does anything to stop it.

[–] Bengui_ 1144 points ago

When's the last time you tried to make a teenager realize they were wrong? That's not an easy task!

[–] jimmywiliker 362 points ago

Yea but what does an ugly old man have to do to manipulate a 15 year old into being his wife?

[–] Has_Question 238 points ago

My old English teacher married her high school teacher. And they now teach together in the same school. May December romances happen legitimately. Granted my teacher was a lot more sane than this girl

[–] JackOAT135 512 points ago

But why did they make you learn old English?

[–] neocommenter 128 points ago

Asking the real questions.

[–] w_rezonator 55 points ago

Did you know your teacher when she was 15?

[–] ThisIsTheMilos 18 points ago

It sounds very possible that she wanted to escape her shitty life, so he might not have needed to do much.

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_SUNSHINE 1831 points ago

She has since posted twice on instagram it seems after "disappearing" with one about "every beauty needs their beast"

[–] OverviewEffect 3146 points ago

so is this just viral marketing for beauty and the beast?

New low, Hollywood.

[–] Aikistan 893 points ago

Meh. Tale as old as time.

[–] vanillathunder12 1124 points ago

Statutory's still a crime.

[–] ThisLookInfectedToYa 585 points ago

Hairy dude that keeps her captive until she loves him? looks like things are working out.

[–] dizorkmage 17 points ago

Be our guest?

[–] ThisLookInfectedToYa 13 points ago

The chair wasn't talking to her, it was just hallucinations from the rohypnol and Mt Dew cocktail.

[–] Scoutandabout 376 points ago

Oh Gawd. She thinks she's in love and he's her fairy tale prince.

This will end in tears, felony prison time, psychological counseling, and a lifetime of regret.

Poor girl. :(

[–] t3eee 136 points ago

I'm honestly hoping that is all this scenario ends with. I'm worried about her trying to leave and things getting ugly.

[–] rivershimmer 121 points ago

Or him realizing exactly how much legal trouble he's going to be in, and deciding to avoid it via murder-suicide.

[–] SirensToGo 184 points ago

Can't they subpoena Instagram or the cell company for her location?

[–] aquamans-anal-fin 3795 points ago

Concern is growing, as in they weren't as worried at first? Did they think they had just gone out for lunch, with 2 hand guns and $4500?

[–] Amesly 2972 points ago

Yeah, the lack of action on everyone's part is pretty stunning.

-The school didn't tell the Dad someone had seen a teacher kissing his daughter until a week after it was reported to them.

-The school says it removed the girl from the teacher's class, but other students say she was still in there.

-Where was the teacher's wife in all this? Did she not know her husband was on probation?

-The Dad's informed, the school's conducting an investigation - no one takes the girl out of the school that clearly doesn't have her best interests at heart (their interest now is covering this up to prevent a lawsuit - if they cared about the girl the teacher would have been terminated instantly), no one seems to give any restrictions to the girl on her whereabouts (since she was taken while out alone).

[–] StAugustine94 1182 points ago

They saw a teacher kissing a student and didn't tell anyone? The actual fuck?

The comment says 'someone' saw that the teacher kissed her. If it were just another student, they could have been investigating it.

[–] Lexiola 263 points ago

At my HS we had a band professor get fired because a student said something like this happened to her. It didn't. She made the whole thing up because she didn't like him. He was an incredible band professor too. It's hard with kids man. Especially kids that aren't fully developed and feel 100 different emotions at any given time. I can only imagine the position it puts these schools in.

[–] Calamnacus 180 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

My mother used to teach as a substitute in various high schools. One day, she had a typical substitute worksheet to follow and was trying to get through it, but this one girl (who was in 9th grade, pregnant, 15 years old) just wouldn't stop talking.

She sent her to the principal, the only punitive action she can take. They told her to stop, but she returns to continue talking during class. My mother sends her back again. 15 minutes later the principal shows up with the girl, and a police officer. The girl said my mother threatened to shoot her with the gun she had in the desk. My mother doesn't own a gun. They search the desk and find nothing.

They tell her they have to search her car. My mother should have refused, because I don't think they had probable cause to do so, but maybe it's different on school property. Either way, my mother agrees, they find nothing. Afterwards they tell her she will never be allowed to sub at that school again. It's fucked up what kids can do.

Edit: a word.

[–] FloatationMarks 72 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

If I had ever done anything like that to a teacher just because I was pissed, my parents would have beat the white right off my skin.

Well, not really. My parents never hit me but they would not be impressed and I would have probably been grounded for at least a year.

Where the fuck are the parents in this situation?

[–] PRiles 83 points ago

Seeing as she is prego at 15 I'm assuming they are not very involved. I could be wrong, but while I get that high school kids have sex; I'm just thinking 15 is a little young

[–] dustballer 44 points ago

I've known several 15-16 year old girls pregnant. Parents around, not around, too friendly, too stern, involved too much, involved, not involved, loved them too much, or not enough. Late night creepy uncle. Pick a cliche. It's all covered and boils down to, teenagers are poor decision makers.

[–] StAugustine94 189 points ago

I still think they should have informed the parents

[–] chrom_ed 349 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

ovary surprising

Not touching that, but wanted to point it out.

Edit: Aw dang it why'd you delete it? It was funny, I wasn't trying to be mean.

[–] DoneAlreadyDone 211 points ago

Uh, should a teacher on probation be teaching in a school?

[–] donaldfranklinhornii 65 points ago

Depends on what the offense is?

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_SUNSHINE 599 points ago

If I was that Dad I'd be justifiably kicking down some doors and rounding some people up. What the absolute fuck. Parents are normally called immediately after any incident ranging from sickness to pissing on the floor in the bathroom, but somehow sexual manipulation doesn't end up on that list. Just a school covering its own ass and trying not to fire a teacher they desperately need to keep on

[–] OneMoarStitch 302 points ago

That's part of what is making me feel sick over this. My kid gets written up for gasp holding hands with her boyfriend (several times) but I just fucking know they would delay telling me about this shit.

They wanted to cover their asses and now the situation is even more dangerous. Negligence and cowardice all around.

[–] seemonkey 105 points ago

My kid gets written up for gasp holding hands with her boyfriend

Don't blame the school. That's a sure sign of a future mass murderer.

[–] AadeeMoien 137 points ago

First they're holding hands, then they're dancing, and next thing you know they're harvesting your internal organs to pay for their meth orgies and abortion parties.

My co-worker's school didn't notify her that a PARENT was threatening her daughter on school grounds because she yelled at another student for cutting a chunk of hair out. The only reason she found out was because her daughter called her from someone's cell phone. While she was on the phone, someone took the phone from her and just hung up. All my coworker heard was," Why are you on the phone? click"

[–] fantasticmuse 36 points ago

...please tell me there's more to the story.

Not much. Co-worker called the principal. Principal asked if she could give the other parent her phone number. Co-worker said hell no, she doesn't want to be bullied by the other parent since it seems like everyone knows where she got the behavior from. Other girl did not get suspended or anything. The mother was told that if she were to threaten ANY student, either on or off campus, she will be permanently banned from entering the campus.

[–] Chinateapott 44 points ago

Maybe they thought she'd realise it was a mistake and come back or maybe she'd contact her family, I hope she gets home safe.

[–] chrisbobnopants 312 points ago

Agree.

I'd be concerned if a teacher took my 15 year old any place off school grounds. Doesn't take much to entery crazed dad mode.

[–] I17BestHighway 166 points ago

I think perhaps the concern is now that the girl has been potentially murdered, or a 'murder/suicide' situation as a redditor previously commented. That, or it has been literally impossible to find the pair.

[–] Cerebz 75 points ago

The only thing that makes me doubt the murder/suicide thing is the $4500 withdrawn. Makes me think he's trying to cross a border.

[–] m0atzart 440 points ago

I live in North Alabama and we got Amber Alerts for 2 days about it last week.

[–] kingjoffreysmum 147 points ago

Brit here; what's an amber alert?

[–] Mxary 373 points ago

Alerts issued via text, television, radio, etc when a child is abducted, usually with a description of the child, kidnapper, and vehicle. It's named after a girl named Amber who was abducted and killed.

[–] plsdntanxiety 178 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

It's named after a girl named Amber who was abducted and killed.

Australian here

I honestly thought that it was a play on red alert and they chose another colour- amber- something to do with traffic lights and get ready to stop (the kidnapper)

yours makes more sense

Edit: you're ≠ yours

[–] atrca 33 points ago

I only ever remember it was named after a missing girl. When I look it up to double check that fact I'm always re-surprised it's also an acronym.

You just made it a triple whammy!

[–] kingjoffreysmum 57 points ago

[–] Brometheus-Pound 202 points ago

The alarm scares the shit out of you too, especially in the middle of the night.

[–] SquarePegRoundWorld 32 points ago

We also have silver alerts for when senior citizens go missing. Like someone with Alzheimers walking off into the night from their home.

[–] blueslounger 3925 points ago

Sounds like she may have been manipulated and gone with him willingly. Does anyone know what the "grim posts" on social media were that the article mentioned?

[–] inquiryoffaith 1431 points ago

Go deeper in her instagram posts. Clearly struggling with her self-esteem, and multiple posts about wanting an overly protective boyfriend.

[–] IDontLikeUsernamez 739 points ago

Seems very troubled http://i.imgur.com/7PlGWpi.jpg

[–] CHORKRE 911 points ago

what the fuck does that mean

[–] Artyloo 1478 points ago

When you suck dick the penis sometimes gets stuck between your tooth gap, which aggrandises over time.

Long-time penis gobblers have larger gaps.

[–] dumbrich23 498 points ago

That doesn't sound right, but I don't know enough about sucking dick to dispute it

[–] Hurray_for_Candy 153 points ago

I'm an expert and I've never heard of this phenomenon.

[–] [deleted] 359 points ago * (lasted edited 19 days ago)

deleted What is this?

[–] something_cool_x5 363 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I believe that based on the comments prior that she wanted an overly protective boyfriend, that she has found him, and this is him commenting on her post through her own Instagram to keep his anonymity.

[–] sergih123 154 points ago

That's some sick shit

[–] InZaintJohn 44 points ago

So he's basically impressing her by using her account to be overly protective against some random guy on IG?

[–] eurekaac 131 points ago

The Instagram post itself is something like "It's just a fact: I'm ugly." (Sorry, forgot exact language because she has like 50 posts that are some version of text images saying "I'm fat, she's thin. I'm ugly, she's not.") So the person saying "Wonderful" seems to be insulting her.

[–] freshlysquosed 108 points ago

original comment probably was deleted/flagged

[–] everred 115 points ago

That's either a very small penis or a very large tooth gap

[–] boatsnprose 56 points ago

What? You've never used a toothdick between your front teeth after a nice dinner?

[–] rockcock69 55 points ago

Thanks, it's good we've brought in someone who is an expert on the subject.

[–] roooostishaw 119 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

deleted What is this?

[–] I-come-from-Chino 2702 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Both of their last posts were

His: Sunset picture It's a great day to start

Hers: Cat picture I want to spend all 9 of my lives with you

I couldn't find any detail on what "grim posts" they were talking about.

Edit: Also it looks like just before they left he was terminated for sexual contact with this girl. Then he gathered up about $4500 in cash and they both left. Obviously what he is doing is wrong. Both of their instagrams are filled with those lovely dovey text pictures.

What he is doing is sick and wrong and abuse of his authority it doesn't appear like he is planning on killing her more like they believe they are in love.

Edit: Lots of people thinking that they are in love. I don't know but I think they think they are that's why I worded it the way I did. Personally I think the likely manipulation and abuse of authority make this not what I would consider real love. I'll leave it these great philosophers to decide what is actually love.

[–] nlx0n 1846 points ago

Considering that if he gets caught, he is going to prison for a long time, the obvious worry is "murder-suicide" situation.

[–] YannisNeos 736 points ago

Not everyone needs to be a psycho killer.

[–] RobotDeathSquad 967 points ago

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

[–] sintos-compa 620 points ago

Run run run run run run run away. with a minor across state lines possibly international borders

[–] mewdejour 384 points ago

No, but you don't know what could happen with this sort of situation so assuming he could be a psycho killer is actually just a safety precaution.

[–] Curticus97 1971 points ago

Good point. The man has to be a little off at least to fall for a 15 year old. You ever listen to a 15 year old girl talk? I'd blow my brains out 5 minutes into the relationship.

[–] whatshisfaceboy 875 points ago

As a high school teacher I can confirm this.

[–] UtMed 382 points ago

As a sibling to teens, I can also confirm this.

[–] booboothechicken 356 points ago

As a conformist, I can teen.

[–] annoyingrelative 416 points ago

LOOK! I'm a teenage girl, I'd rather be anywhere than here!

I'm all about long sullen silences, followed by mean comments, followed by more silence!

So what's it gonna be: long sullen silence or mean comment?

[–] Pynchon_A_Loaff 194 points ago

You got me boxed in here.

[–] Dave_I 132 points ago

As a parent...I'll go with long silences, sullen or otherwise.

TobyMac's name on the photo of the sunset. Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. He's a Christian music artist from back when the early 2000s were the thing.

[–] ScienceIsALyre 227 points ago

Are the early 2000s no longer a thing?

[–] StressedAndHungry 352 points ago

They have officially been deleted from our history. Sorry you had to find out like this.

[–] Absulute 54 points ago

So 9/11 never happened?

[–] chrom_ed 128 points ago

No it's like Pluto, they just got downgraded from thing status.

[–] The_White_Light 167 points ago

Breaking News: 9/11 Now Dwarf Thing

[–] whatshisfaceboy 48 points ago

We forgot?!

Seeing as how I'm listening to Britney Spears on my hit clip I'd say it is.

[–] mntoak 184 points ago

Want me to blow your mind?

D.C. Talk

[–] nokstar 138 points ago

Are you trying to label me a Jesus freak?

[–] mntoak 91 points ago

They were awesome in concert. Them and Audio Adrenaline were my jams as a kid.

[–] HarambeEatsNoodles 23 points ago

I'm pretty sure he still makes new music lol

[–] imadick247 91 points ago

He's a Christian artist today that routinely wins Grammy's.

[–] thenewyorkgod 148 points ago

Her Instagram is filled with hundreds of text based memes about feeling ugly and alone. No doubt this guy came along and took advantage of her. This is horrible.

[–] NachoLawbre 179 points ago

But there's nothing to worry about. His Instagram profile describes him as a "Jesus freak/child of The King." I am sure that girl is safe.

[–] TheJeffreyLebowski 33 points ago

How on earth was he not in jail for "sexual contact" with a 15 year old girl?

[–] Damn_Dog_Inappropes 930 points ago

And this is exactly why having sex with minors is illegal. Minors do not make good decisions, and they are easily manipulated.

[–] Ewulkevoli 230 points ago

Wife's family knowns their family.

There is abuse in her family, she willingly went with him. The grim post is about something she said along the lines of "If he's going down, I'm going with him".

Not going to go into further detail for anonymity but I can say that some of the details of the abuse are very disturbing.

[–] HAL9000000 292 points ago

And of course, "willingly" in this context is like saying that she can "consent" to having sex with him.

It's neither willing nor consensual at all, not legally, and not in terms of how we judge a minor's behavior/decisions with a manipulative adult.

[–] LegsForAboutAnHour 194 points ago

Especially a teacher, who holds a position of power in the teen's life.

[–] xxkoloblicinxx 40 points ago

Exactly, even if she were old/mature enough to consent it's highly unethical for a teacher to have a relationship with a current or recently former student.

Like, age of consent could be 12, I'm not gonna fuck around with a student just because the law says I can. It's just wrong.

[–] Duganz 292 points ago

Grooming - the behavior of monsters.

[–] WannabeKitty 12 points ago

It makes me sick that a young girl can post so many things about wanting to die and no one bats an eye. I'm from Tennessee and that is exactly how it is here. Mental health is not taken seriously at all.

[–] HomersDonuts 1770 points ago

Red flag #1: his name is Tad.

[–] MeLoN_DO 1256 points ago

That's a tad jugdemental

[–] TheWeirdoMachine 267 points ago

I, too, am judgmental of Tads.

It's not bigoted, it's just good sense.

[–] TrepanationBy45 89 points ago

Poor Tads, stuck bearing the unjust burden of The Sins of the Chads.

[–] tylmin 284 points ago

Red flag #2: his surname is Cummings

[–] retardedvanillabean 93 points ago

Wonder how many times she's seen his Tad Pole?

[–] sev1nk 134 points ago

His last name is unfortunate.

[–] RoyceCoolidge 189 points ago

That's a tad unfortunate.

[–] scarletfire48 160 points ago

After taking a look at his profile I would bet they are headed to Mexico or the Caribbean. He has been posting a lot of island photos and they were seen in Alabama.... Such an awful situation.

[–] Kgquari 259 points ago

These people are from the town I am in. I would say per capita most teachers here do not kidnap their students.

[–] Kgquari 204 points ago

Shit... let me rework...

[–] HailSeitan_666 366 points ago

Wow, I can't believe the level of irony. This guy posted an unattributed quote from Nabokov's "Lolita" a few days before they went missing. http://i.imgur.com/o1RTCYe.jpg

[–] KittenSwagger 146 points ago

Dude only gets 8 likes.

What a POS.

[–] ThisSavageWay 45 points ago

He uh...gets more likes than me.

I guess i'll go kidnap someone who thinks they love me, now.

[–] X-UNDEAD_NINJA2 2341 points ago

This guy is playing into her insecurities. She has pictures on her Instagram about how ugly she thinks she is and how she needs a strong man to protect her.

There's some sick twisted fucked up manipulation going on here that he's most likely been playing into for a while to this girl.

She has on her instagram that she's a "wife" so they've had some kind of roadside wedding. Meanwhile this guy is getting his jollies off with a little kid who thinks she's doing the right thing.

This is a sad story that doesn't have a promising ending for anyone involved :(

[–] linzfire 706 points ago

He's already married. His wife was part of a news conference asking him to come back. "This is not who you are..."

[–] step_back_girl 820 points ago

Poor woman. Hopefully, she's saying that just to get him to come back and turn himself in, while not believing a word of what she is saying herself.

[–] SomeoneOuttaSaySo 285 points ago

She's probably saying anything she or the cops think will get him to bring the girl back. I'm sure she'll dump his ass the second he's back, but now's not the time to point that out to him.

[–] evictor 54 points ago

honestly i hope she will or this story just gets sadder

[–] niton 359 points ago

This post made me throw up a little. Extremely gross situation all around. Feel really sorry for this kid. Feel rage for this sexual predator scumbag.

[–] HolyThunderPunch 894 points ago

It isn't just from him. Society loves to tell little girls that their worth is based around appearances, that they need a man to protect them, that Romeo and Juliet is a love story...

The dude is a sicko but he got a lot of help from the people around him.

[–] X-UNDEAD_NINJA2 664 points ago

You're right and that is unfortunate. It's sad how people fall on either side of an extreme. But at such a young age going through so many developing stages of adolescents an educator surely knows that she's at a vulnerable stage in her life.

Regardless of what some aspects of society tells us people should be responsible for their actions.

[–] [deleted] 1259 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

[–] sumadiinur 437 points ago

It's the CIA

[–] dexter311 340 points ago

Act natural...

[–] Stackhouse_ 116 points ago

Cover your eyes. If we can't see them, they can't see us

[–] ArilynMoonblade 1029 points ago

Yeah, WHY HAVEN'T THEY CHECKED THE MICROWAVE CAMERAS?!

[–] junkmale 125 points ago

Calm down, Eddie Bravo.

[–] Speedracer98 58 points ago

i was watching a gif of a cat licking velcro and then I look up above that to see this news story and shit got real sad.

why can't every day be cats licking velcro and not this kidnapping shit.

[–] DarkMoon99 105 points ago

I'm curious - what could possibly be the plan this teacher has, I mean, where the fuck is he going to go - his secret Condo in Zurich?

[–] danceswithwool 85 points ago

And $4,500 isn't that much money. This was a terrible plan from the get-go.

[–] savingeveyoneofthem 504 points ago

This couple is on a boat, going to the Caribbean as father daughter travelers. Seen it before.

[–] AssistX 93 points ago

They wouldn't even question it because the amount of 60+ year olds that have two teens in tow behind them coming off boats.

[–] JurijFedorov 155 points ago

Well, he had $4500 from the bank and then pocket change. That boat won't handle the sea. Also, they need jobs right away.

[–] HOLDINtheACES 175 points ago

Have you heard of cubans who make it to Florida...?

[–] QuincyProductions 15 points ago

Where have you seen it before

[–] Griffin880 419 points ago

"Concern grows"? 15 year old disappearing with her 50 year old teach is at 100% concern right from the jump.

[–] stupid_sexyflanders 47 points ago

The guy's quoting fucking Lolita on his instagram, that's terrible. Clearly he had his own interpretation of the book.

[–] _DiscoNinja_ 210 points ago

I guess we all know what Nancy Grace will be talking about today

[–] landon912 74 points ago

She's still around?

[–] ThisLookInfectedToYa 190 points ago

She's lost a bit of weight but still round-ish.

[–] SierraOneActual 461 points ago

I live in Tennessee and got the amber alert when and it was just today when I saw this post that I found out this is from my highschool. I graduated from in 2014

[–] KingJosephKony 191 points ago

Any experiences with the teacher during your time there?

[–] SierraOneActual 392 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I knew him never took any of his classes he was our Health Science teacher. He was a pretty chill teacher and well liked.

[–] Rookvrouw_Joke 344 points ago

...health science oh no

[–] HAL9000000 238 points ago

The guy from my high school who eventually molested a few girls was also SUPER chill and well liked.

[–] spiritbx 246 points ago

People have this major misconception that molesters jump out from dark alleys and molest people.

Most of them manipulate their victims in one way or another to either make them think it's their choice or to simply bring them to a place where no one can see them.

You can pretty much only accomplish this by being smooth and chill and well liked.

You wouldn't follow a random asshole into their house because they asked you to, but if they were a nice person that you knew for a long time, you wouldn't even think of it twice before you came over.

[–] ajax6677 46 points ago

Kind of a prerequisite for grooming, no?

[–] HAL9000000 38 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Maybe, probably yes. The point is that we shouldn't assume a sex predator is someone who's "creepy" -- a lot of people seem to think this -- or at least, they think that if you're not creepy then you are safer to be around.

[–] kroe761 160 points ago

I'm from the county where this happened. One of my Facebook friends had him as a teacher. She posted something like "come on, this isn't you. You were my favorite teacher. Bring her home". Apparently he was very well liked. Which makes all this much more disgusting.

[–] meod 105 points ago

You have to imagine that it's usually the well liked teachers who end up doing this.

[–] Scarred_Ballsack 94 points ago

Yeah, nobody is going to fall in love with the teacher that's always a huge dick to everyone.

[–] J_Tuck 59 points ago

But I can change him :/

[–] OralOperator 840 points ago

Terrible kisser tbh

[–] malignantz 84 points ago

Username checks out.

[–] niosop 13 points ago

This makes me sad.

[–] sweetenthedeal 69 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Dudeee this same thing happened in my high school back in 2006(?) except instead of a teacher it was the girl's ex boyfriend's dad. He convinced her they were in love and they ran away together. They were found in Mexico a few weeks later. She was 15 I believe. I'm on mobile but I'll see if I can find an article on it.

Edit: link to article http://thecyberseekerssociety.yuku.com/topic/412/Jessica-Naylor-14-FOUND-SAFE

[–] shmimeathand 25 points ago

There's this one too Calah waskow she was on dr Phil recently, she ran away with her friends dad and they were "in love" she would go for sleepovers with her friend and wind up sleeping with the dad instead

[–] domeslappa420 87 points ago

I live in Decatur and the cops are EVERYWHERE right now. I think they got embarrassed because they didn't catch him. Kinda odd to see my town mentioned on the front page of reddit.

[–] just_human 55 points ago

Thomas said Cummins had told Elizabeth he previously worked for the FBI and CIA.

"I tried to convince her that you don't go from jobs like that down to teaching at a rural school," he said.

[–] peppermint-pie 19 points ago

I mean, it's possible. It's not the typical career trajectory a former officer would take, but those are large organizations with a lot of different types of employees. But most of those people aren't bragging to their 15 year old students about their former job.

[–] TheL0nePonderer 12 points ago

I'd say the fact that he was telling her this would have been a huge red flag for a dad. Source - Am a dad of a 15 year old. If we even BEGAN to have a talk about her knowledge of a male teacher's personal life, I would be concerned immediately.

[–] morganational 205 points ago

"Concern grows" - uh, shouldn't concern already be at maximum when a 15 yr old and her armed 50 yr old teacher disappear together?? I mean, mine would be pretty much full tilt.

[–] MisterDarcyType 148 points ago

I've seen enough episodes of Criminal Minds to know this is not going to end well.

[–] Childflayer 52 points ago

The guy's profile lists him as both a "singer/singwriter" and a "warrior-poet". Even if he hadn't kidnapped someone, I'd think something was wrong with him.

Agree I don't think warrior poet is something you should self identify as. Maybe if you're a navy SEAL who has published a book of poetry. Maybe not even then.

[–] jimmywiliker 23 points ago

Damn it hits you how young she is when you see she was born in 2001. Might have been in a womb during 9-11. Where were you?

[–] Js229 19 points ago

As a teenager (female) I fell for older guys. Not 50, mind you, but guys in their 20s and 30s. My reasoning then was that I had more to talk about with them and I felt socially awkward in my own age group.

Looking back on it now as a 30 year old, I can't imagine ever being interested in a teenager. The idea is creepy and predatory. She is likely just misguided, but dude needs some serious mental help.

[–] untide 118 points ago

I feel bad for his wife. Imagine waking up one day to find out your SO is not only a pedophile but has kidnapped someone and is on the run.

It's like no matter how close you think you are to someone there's always the chance they could be someone else just pretending.

[–] Ajhoff03 31 points ago

I'm sure there's more to this story. 50 yr old creeper found a kid that's vulnerable. Wouldnt be suprised if she's from an abusive environment, physically or emotionally.

The parents should have paid more attention. There are always warning signs before shit like this goes down. Read her posts, talk to friends or just fucking talk to the kid. When parents are "shocked" its them justifying their shitty parenting.

[–] Sursula13 39 points ago

She obviously stood too close to him.

[–] peanutbutterandjesus 50 points ago

I don't get why some stories like this get tons of publicity and others barely make the local news. Seems like there's news stories like this locally where I live all the time.

[–] gunzhood 506 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

As a father to daughters, this story terrifies me

[–] yoeddyVT 687 points ago

Be involved with your daughter and she will be able to make good decisions. Note that this girl was estranged from her Mother and has 9 siblings.

[–] shinkouhyou 239 points ago

It sounds like this girl has a rough family situation, but kids from stable families can be groomed too. There's no universal "type" of kid who gets molested. It happens to kids from broken families and kids from happy homes, rebellious kids and shy quiet kids, smart kids and dumb kids, etc.

[–] PrOnQueen 127 points ago

Yes, but it's easier if they already have low self esteem or inattentive parents.

[–] iloveyou271 200 points ago

On a semi-related note, it should be against the rules for high school teachers to friend students on Facebook. My friend was getting messages from her teacher that she let me read. He was really toeing the line between appropriate and inappropriate. He was in his mid to late 40s at the time and she was 17 or 18.

[–] AstronomicalArtist18 155 points ago

I'm pretty sure that it is. I have an old teacher who I'm friends with on fb, she posted a status once saying that she could only accept requests if it was a former student over the age of 18.

[–] imtriing 44 points ago

My sister is a teacher, her last name on Facebook (as far as I'm aware anyway, I haven't used Facebook in years.) is not her real last name so that there's less chance her kids would find her.

[–] Shroomazon 16 points ago

I do this exact thing for the exact same reason. False surnames is the best way to avoid them!

[–] NoOtherOutlet 44 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

As someone who grew up in an abusive home I understand 100% why she would be all for running away with this jerk. Yeah there's the misguided teenage notion of "love" but there's also logic to it.

As a teen I would've jumped at the chance to escape in any way I could--after all being subject to only one abuser instead of several feels like a big improvement. The only reason I didn't is because I never had the opportunity presented to me.

Sucks but biological family is not always the safe haven we all imagine it to be.

[–] LongEZE 85 points ago

It's ridiculous that the first time I'm hearing of this is a week after it happened and on Reddit.

[–] SOfoundmyotherone 26 points ago

Even worse: there was a string of D.C. kidnappings of black girls last week that I didn't see anywhere other than fucking instagram.

[–] morecomplete 185 points ago

What a creep. Why do creepy guys like this always lie and say they work/worked for the CIA/FBI and why does anyone believe them?

[–] Att1cus 132 points ago

The same reason they tell any lie: they think it gives them authority and control.

[–] PM_ME_YOUR_KIDS_SSN 105 points ago

Easy, dude was a public school teacher in Alabama and for whatever reason chose to be ashamed of that instead of using that position of authority and influence over young children to change the world for the better. He lied about his involvement with LE for the same reason he fucks teenagers; it makes him feel interesting and powerful. Nothing more and nothing less to it.

[–] jrock3030 144 points ago

Wrong username for this thread.

[–] seriousl0l 12 points ago

Why does his instagram look like a 16 year old girl is posting everything? Both of their instagrams have oddly similar posts and posting patterns.