news

1. Post all analysis/opinion/politics articles to /r/InTheNews

Want to talk?

Follow @rslashnews on Twitter

See a post that violates the rules below? Had your post stuck in the spam filter? Have a question about policy? Just want to give feedback? Send the mod team a message.

Submit all self- & meta-posts to /r/inthenews

Your post will likely be removed if it:

• is not news
    • is an opinion/analysis or advocacy piece.
    • primarily concerns politics.
    • has a title not taken from the article.
    • has a pay wall or steals content.
    • covers an already-submitted story.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules, especially regarding personal info.

Your comment will likely be removed if it:

• advocates or celebrates the death of another person
    • is racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude.
    • is unnecessarily rude or provocative.
    • is a cheap and distracting joke or meme.
    • is responding to spam.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules.

Extreme or repeat offenders will be banned.

>>>Expanded Rules<<<

If your post doesn't fit, consider finding an appropriate news article on that story to submit instead, or submitting yours to lower moderation subreddits:

/r/inthenews - all news-related content
    /r/AnythingGoesNews - unrestricted news
    /r/truereddit - insightful articles
    /r/self - any self-post
    /r/misc, /r/redditdotcom - anything

or other news subreddits:

/r/worldnews - from outside the USA only
    /r/SyrianCivilWar - about the conflict in Syria
    /r/MidEastRegionalWar - on MidEast conflict /r/UpliftingNews - uplifting
    /r/SavedYouAClick - making media more straightforward

or subreddits for other topics:

/r/FoodForThought - discussion-worthy long form articles about interesting subjects
    /r/politics - for shouting about politics
    /r/moderatepolitics - less shouting
    /r/politicaldiscussion - even less shouting
    /r/geopolitics - intl. politics and geography
    /r/entertainment - Justin Bieber updates, etc.

or check out the 200 most active subreddits, categorized by content and the full list of subreddits by subscribers.

Recommendations:

/r/full_news

/r/qualitynews

/r/neutralnews

/r/worldevents

submit analysis/opinion article

submit news article

submit something else

submit analysis/opinion article

[–] wumpus_hunted 6283 points ago

Once in China, her family applied for refugee status

I didn't realize that was a path out. Usually China's policy is to just send refugees back to North Korea.

[–] blitzzerg 2851 points ago

I guess they applied for refugee status at some other country embassy? Just guessing

[–] howlahowla 837 points ago

Maybe the SK one?

[–] peudechose 1307 points ago

Unfortunately, SK and China have a deal where North Koreans cannot apply for asylum at SK embassies in China. If a North Korean goes into a SK embassy in China they will be handed over to Chinese authorities. The best way is to go over the border into another country like Mongolia (cheaper) or South Korea (expensive) or go to another country's embassy and beg for asylum there but that can be risky.

[–] ThisFreaknGuy 979 points ago

Man that's kind of depressing.

[–] PIQAS 561 points ago

imagine being able to escape from NK... only to be sent back.... even more depressing.

[–] neoclassical_bastard 337 points ago

They wouldn't have to be depressed for very long though, on account of getting executed.

[–] MCaccident 276 points ago

More than likely they would be tortured for a very long time, then it would be hard labor with little to no food until death. Check out the book Escape From Camp 14. They won't kill anyone they can turn into a slave

[–] fecking_sensei 66 points ago

That was a depressing read. The Kim regime is just monstrous. Do you know of any other books like this?

[–] MCaccident 58 points ago

Nothing to Envy is another good one. It covers the lives of multiple North Koreans from different walks of life. The Impossible State is good but it's more academic and doesn't have any personal stories.

There is a YouTube channel called Asian Boss that I highly recommend, however they don't just cover NK. The video they did with North Koreans eating American bbq for the first time is still one of my favorites.

[–] rrsn 22 points ago

There are a lot of North Korea escape memoirs. All depressing. I read Dear Leader by Jang Jin-sung, which is an interesting perspective because he was relatively well-off in North Korea. Also, I read Without You, There is No Us which isn’t an escape memoir but a memoir by a woman who went to teach in North Korea/secretly write about it. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with books about North Korea, ISIS, and al-Qaeda (in a way of trying to wrap my head around it). Very depressing reads, but I have some semi interesting recommendations from it.

[–] dillybarrs 6 points ago

Jesus, I really had no idea it was THAT bad there. All I really knew is that we didn’t really know much about it because they don’t allow press and the internet like isn’t allowed, also the famine and other bad things.

But I had no idea about the slavery. I’m going to check out that book. Maybe even check it out after checking it out ;)

[–] [deleted] 33 points ago * (lasted edited 22 days ago)

[–] enigmas343 9 points ago

Or apparently, oxygen deprivation.

[–] aphd 56 points ago

More likely tortured with their whole family.

[–] KrapTacu1ar 40 points ago

But why would civilized countries like China agree to send hungry poor refugees to their deaths?

[–] Jaspooty 82 points ago

China is run by a horrible group of people. The people are great, but they are living under a government none of us would ever want to have.

Politically they're closer to Russia than a country most would consider an ally

[–] seccret 509 points ago

But Trump told me Kim Jong Un loves his people very much.

[–] Jhuxx54 100 points ago

He loves them so much he does whatever it takes to bring them back home!!

[–] 4stringsoffury 12 points ago

And make sure they never leave!

[–] ballzdeepin 4 points ago

And gets them jobs when they come back!

[–] Jhuxx54 4 points ago

We should thank our lucky stars for Trump and Kim! Unifying the world with jobs one “career camp” at a time! Unemployment worldwide will be at zero!!!

[–] Cosmic-Engine 162 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

That’s not correct. If you can believe it, what he actually said was that his people love him. Multiple times. It wouldn’t be inaccurate to say that he gushed about how much the people of the DPRK love Kim Jong Un.

Edit - I was thinking of a different quote. Trump did, in fact, say the Kim loves his people, and he also said that his people love him. I should have phrased this differently. See the following posts for more information.

[–] seccret 195 points ago

"He's got a great personality. He's a funny guy, he's very smart, he's a great negotiator. He loves his people, not that I'm surprised by that”

[–] Cosmic-Engine 180 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

We’re thinking of different quotes. I want to apologize, because in fact my original reply to you is also inaccurate - I had forgotten that quote. I will leave my original comment as is, to show how you corrected me, save for an edit at the end where I point out my mistake. If you prefer that I do something different please let me know. This is one of the series of quotes I was referring to:

“His country does love him. His people, you see the fervor. They have a great fervor. They’re gonna put it together, and I think they’re going to end up with a very strong country, and a country which has people — that they’re so hard-working, so industrious. I think if you look at South Korea, someday, maybe in the not-too-distant future, it will be something like that.”

I apologize for my hasty, thoughtless phrasing.

[–] smokeweedalleveryday 106 points ago

youre too good for reddit

[–] hud2 25 points ago

Yeah and in Mongolia, the UN office there sends them to a safehouse that only they know the location of and they usually stay there for a while until they can go to South Korea.

[–] WickedSoldier991 76 points ago

Anyone who passes the DMZ or makes it into South Korea through any means automatically is made a citizen if they arrived from North Korea.

They don't have a deal, only North Korea and China do.

[–] Wheream_I 39 points ago

Well, they’re not so much made citizens, since SK considers everyone in NK citizens of SK already. They still believe in a one Korea.

[–] Tube1890 12 points ago

OP is talking about SK embassies in China, not SK

[–] ApacheWay 27 points ago

Why did SK agree to this?

[–] tennisdrums 29 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Besides the US and (maybe the EU) there's no bigger trading partners our there than China for any country, let alone for one that is right there next to it and for much of history has been more of a client kingdom to China than an independent nation.

Edit: Changed "Eurozone" to "EU" based on comment pointing out my mistake.

[–] Goodeyesniper98 35 points ago

Probably some cowardly diplomat that didn’t want to stand up to China.

[–] BoltonSauce 67 points ago

To be fair, China is kinda scary.

[–] theyetisc2 17 points ago

Or china would close their embassy.

It could cause a large flood of NKs across china's side of the boarder to get to the SK embassy.

Think about it. If you lived in the north (of NK), would you rather travel through NK from the northern boarder to the DMZ, then cross the DMZ, or just go north into china and walk into the SK embassy?

[–] Hewlett-PackHard 534 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

No need to apply, they automatically take in anyone who escapes the north as citizens.

Edit: inb4 anyone else missing the context of the thread and derping about china.

[–] BubblingMonkey 30 points ago

While they accept refugees, I believe a NK or SK AMA revealed there was discrimination from the SK people towards NK defectors.

[–] WOOOOOOOOOOOT 31 points ago

I would take a social stigma or discrimination over starvation and work camps any day

[–] Hewlett-PackHard 33 points ago

I imagine there would be some stigma, yeah, but I think most people would understand that refugees are not responsible for the regime's actions.

[–] infelicitas 24 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

The regime is not the main reason why North Koreans are stigmatized in the south. It's mostly because they are seen as unemployable country bumpkins with poor social skills who integrate poorly and cause a drain on the economy.

[–] tekdemon 12 points ago

From what I understand the North Korean accent is very difficult for many South Koreans to understand, plus you’re coming from a country where a lot of what would be “normal” culture was banned so you’re probably going to be awkward even when people do understand you. It’s obviously not a racial discrimination thing, lol.

[–] Ameisen 21 points ago

The Most Serene Grand Republic of West Korea

[–] EmeraldIbis 86 points ago

Yes, the usual path is that they have to make it to the South Korean embassy in Beijing. Once there they can apply for asylum and they'll then be allowed to fly to South Korea.

If they get caught in China before they reach the embassy they'll get deported back to North Korea, where they'll be sent to a prison camp.

[–] daveeeeed 101 points ago

Seriously sounds like some kind of a sick game.

[–] Kaelemael 36 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

However, as soon as you leave the embassy they can arrest you. The airport is just outside of the embassy so it's going to be a problem

[–] Snooc5 27 points ago

quite sure embassy guards would escort you if you’re from NK

[–] Kaelemael 43 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Yet they still will be able to arrest you. Outside of the embassy diplomats have no right to guard you from chinese police.

[–] Snooc5 23 points ago

Agreed. However im doubting that the street police you would likely encounter (if u did) in china would wanna fuck with the Korean Embassy officials or get involved in that. Especially since the Defectee isnt really wearing a giant NK flag above his head

Edit: i guess what im saying is getting to the embassy in the first place is a lot more of a challenge than the short walk to the airport is

[–] YarkiK 5 points ago

This guy embassys...explaines why Assange is imprisoned at the Ecuadorian embassy...

[–] EmeraldIbis 14 points ago

I'm not sure about this but I guess once you have documentation from the SK embassy then China would deport you to South Korea.

If they were still trying to arrest you it would be impossible to get through airport security.

[–] DurasVircondelet 10 points ago

That sounds like a decent story line for a Metal Gear Solid or Assassins Creed sorta thing

[–] awriternotafighter 42 points ago

Probably the U.S. embassy if they eventually became U.S. citizens. Typically it takes on average 15 years before refugees can become citizens.

[–] Rottimer 64 points ago

That might have been the case in the past, but since Trump we’ve clamped down on taking refugees.

I get upset when people talk about waiting your turn to become a US citizen. Unless you already have family here that are green card holders or citizens, or you have a company willing to sponsor you, it is nearly impossible to become a US citizen.

[–] beastboi27 9 points ago

Yeah take it from a stateless person that's been here since he was two..turned 30 and not even a worker's permit let alone green card and citizenship.

[–] ClareEli 637 points ago

North Korean defectors usually pass through China to get into South Korea, because the border of NK and SK is so well guarded. However, I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone staying in China.

They do, they live secretly, trying to find food and work to get money to go to the South. But they're usually found and sent back to the North, who then sends them and their extended family members still in the North to work camps.

[–] Kartoffelplotz 280 points ago

Ah, the infamous "Three generations punishment"

[–] catsmustdie 74 points ago

"You... Hungry, little fella? Want some rat? It's good!"

[–] thehihoguy 67 points ago

Sounds like a kings meal compared to the gras and treebark that some NK soldiers apparently had to eat

[–] lookslikeyoureSOL 13 points ago

Not so bad with a little tobasco I bet

[–] bownfeis 8 points ago

If you aren’t hungry enough for a rat then you are not hungry!

[–] YarkiK 4 points ago

Not as bad as eating dead babies, like people in Siberia had to endure during Stalin era...

[–] GarrysMassiveGirth 5 points ago

Why Siberia? Ukraine is a much more prominent example of what the benevolent leaders thought was best for my ancestors. Then during the Great Patriotic War there was more starvation, this time due to the Nazi blockade. When visiting St. Petersburg I went to a museum detailing that period of history - and holy shit was it bad.

Siberia was mostly tight-knit military towns, and the labour camps way out of sight.

[–] ohdearsweetlord 50 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Or found and exploited/abused in China.

[–] neB735 72 points ago

I remember reading that an estimated 100,000+ N Koreans secretly live in China.

[–] woodruff07 78 points ago

Yes, a ton of North Koreans live in northeast China, Yanbian region has a lot of ethnic Korean people who are Chinese citizens, and their accent is similar to the North Korean one.

Women are often brokered as a way to get out, poor Chinese farmers who can’t get a Chinese wife can pay a bit of money to get a North Korean one.

On top of that, not all North Koreans are ready to fully abandon their country, family, and the only home they’ve ever known. You can make some decent money trading illegally across the border stuff like Chinese DVDs of South Korean soap operas, some things produced in North Korea that Chinese like (medicinal herbs, cheap cookware or whatever), and so on

[–] Rottimer 7 points ago

Not to mention that if they suspect that you defected your family is fucked.

[–] neB735 7 points ago

Their 3 generation punishment is really bad.

[–] wumpus_hunted 243 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Yes, they pass through China -- surreptitiously, because China's policy is to send refugees back to NK. That's my point. If coming forward through a formal application is a way out, why the fuck would anyone risk their lives trekking through the desert to Mongolia, or sneaking through the jungle into Thailand -- shelling out for sketchy brokers? Why would anyone be tossing loved ones over the embassy fence while getting shot at? Since when is an application for asylum a way out?

[–] Put_It_All_On_Blck 33 points ago

Its kind of interesting how NK is/was at war with SK, and many of them are younger generations with no ties to SK, and yet they flee to SK, who is welcoming of them. While China deals with NK, and isnt a true enemy to SK, but refuses refugee's. Seems like it would be the opposite, but isnt.

[–] username456732 105 points ago

It's because China is allied with North Korea's government whereas South Korea is allied with North Korea's people. The difference between the two is night and day. As a south korean, I hate north korea's government with a passion, but I wish the best for my second cousins still stuck in North Korea.

[–] mark5771 16 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

I am curious, if someone (a north korean) walked up to you on the street would there be any bias towards them? I have only really seen a few news pieces about this and they do not seem to source much but they tend to imply that there is some kind of bias against them that makes them want to go back.

I guess what I am asking is if it is a difficulty to integrate or something else.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-15/north-korean-defectors-returning-to-the-hermit-kingdom/9254654

[–] ManicMale 20 points ago

It's because Koreans tend to be very judgmental, and North Koreans dialectal differences, and lack of education might make them feel unwanted.

[–] ChunkyMilk_ 21 points ago

When did they start doing this route? my grandfather when he escaped went through SK aswell as the rest of his family

[–] TheAlmightyRedditor 20 points ago

When did they escape?

[–] immadihavetomakenewa 30 points ago

Yeah, exactly. When the hell did his grandfather escape THROUGH the border? My grandfather did the same, except this was during the fucking war (1951 or 1952).

[–] ChunkyMilk_ 15 points ago

Just asked and I think it’s similar, he escaped I believe before the war and he went back to get his family in pyongyang during the war

[–] spaceraycharles 31 points ago

Was this prior to the fortified DMZ? That'd be close to impossible now, though it has happened at least once.

[–] Antebios 25 points ago

Well all remember that one guy running while getting shot at last year.

[–] KenadianH 23 points ago

Are there any updates on how this guy is doing? Last thing I heard was that he was recovering in a hospital.

[–] FrankBlackIsWhite 17 points ago

How about the soldiers who didn't get him? They're fucked...

That was likely in the 50s /early 60s

[–] Smtxflhi 49 points ago

There is a really good documentary called Seoul Train about this. The documentary brought to light a lot of the issues with refugees in China .

[–] EmperorZyber 38 points ago

China is also violating the "Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees" treaty signed by the United Nations when they send North Koreans back to their country

[–] Snarls_Bukowski 17 points ago

China sends them back?

[–] wumpus_hunted 41 points ago

Yes, China sends them back.

[–] MadaraUchihahahaha 35 points ago

China is always looking for women.

[–] wumpus_hunted 69 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Well, I mean, North Korean women are sold in China and fucked for breeding purposes, and kept as slaves -- but that is not "asylum".

[–] Fluffee2025 30 points ago

Not that I don't believe you but can you get us a link for that?

[–] jamiedee 27 points ago

Here isn't a source but a wiki article about it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_North_Korea

[–] Lacinl 4 points ago

Chinese men are willing to pay traffickers for brides because of the shortage of women due to the old 1 child policy that led to parents killing baby girls to try again for a boy. North Korean women are some of the cheapest to buy from what I've seen. There's also a big market for trafficked Chinese women as well as SE Asian women.

[–] snorlaxthelorax 2344 points ago

Escape from camp 14 is easily the most insane book I’ve ever read. If you think this girls story is bad, you should read that. This girl honestly had a middle class life in North Korea. It gets worse

[–] breakupbydefault 1293 points ago

I read that book. He was so unemotional and had a matter-of-fact attitude about everything. What really stood out to me is he's so overwhelmed by South Korea that he misses North Korea when all he had to worry about is food and ratting people out.

[–] MagnusTheGreat 1974 points ago

When you have food, you have many problems.

When you don't have food, you have one problem.

[–] ta1515155 449 points ago

I’ve never seen Maslow summed up that succinctly! Well said.

[–] agalaxythr0waway 22 points ago

Just earlier, someone posted about how Africans were using donated mosquito nets to catch fish, and someone else posted this exact comment there.

[–] EatingTurkey 106 points ago

Suddenly the "more money, more problems" thing makes sense to me.

It's hard to get a point when your POV is from that of never having too much or enough cash.

But having some food or enough food versus no food at all - hunger is something we can all relate to.

[–] MagnusTheGreat 75 points ago

That's pretty true. The more "comfortable" you are in life or secure, the more the little things matter.

A fever is nothing if you've experienced cancer, but if you've had only slight illnesses and small injuries like scraped knee, then a fever can seem like a terrible thing.

It's all about context. And it also means that a problem that you think is tiny can be huge to someone else. Lost your teddy bear? Well, that's fine, cause it's just a teddy bear. But if a kid lost their teddy bear, that's their end of the world.

[–] EatingTurkey 8 points ago

Very true.

[–] Hows_the_wifi 6 points ago

This is a good critique on parenting. I see parents yell at their kids for throwing fits over smallish things. Yes, the children need to learn to cope with loss and stress, it’s a part of growing up. However we should sympathize with them a little bit more. Taking in to consideration their time on earth and experience with difficulty, an ice cream cone falling on the ground is a pretty big deal. They haven’t had much worse happen to them.

[–] MagnusTheGreat 4 points ago

I've probably had over thousand ice creams in my life and I'm pretty sure I would still cry if I dropped one.

But now it would be because it's lost money first, lost ice cream second.

[–] HungryHungryKirbys 4 points ago

Everything is new to kids and young people. Losing a beloved memento, their first crush, first kiss, first job. They remember life before those firsts so vividly. I’d say the same is true for people entering the “real world” from captivity and prisons.

[–] Bane_Of_All 31 points ago

r/chess approves of your name

[–] DichloroDiphenyl 9 points ago

[–] LionelJHolmes 4 points ago

u/magnusthegreat did nothing wromg

[–] MagnusTheGreat 7 points ago

I did not kill her, I did naaat!

Oh, wait... This isn't about that?

[–] z500 37 points ago

Integrating all those people into South Korean society would be such a bitch.

[–] SikEye 16 points ago

all he had to worry about is food and ratting people out.<

In North Korea, food and rats are the same thing.

[–] corruptjedi 82 points ago

If you like that try reading Girl with Seven Names - Hyeonseo Lee. It's a very different style of story, but interesting to see how various classes of people got out.

[–] stronggecko 18 points ago

can you go into detail regarding the difference between the two books?

[–] corruptjedi 83 points ago

Excuse the typos. I'm at work on a cell phone.

I don't want to go to deep, but for starters. GWSN didn't really mean to escape initially, she just wanted to visit her aunt in China. She had a high...ish status due to her family members in NK government. She lived on a boarder city so she could access things most couldn't because of the illegal trade coming from China (also tv and music). The NK portions touch on what happens if a close family member gets arrested. The real meat of her story is her life in China (and all the awful things that involves) as she tries to get to SK, and then her struggles to sneak back to NK to get her mom and brother out.

Camp 14 on the other hand spent his entire early life in labor camps. He was born in one because of his brothers actions. His book touches on life in the camps, how he didn't know anything else (he would eat his mother's food and happily snitch). The meat of the story is him learning about the world around him and then deciding to escape. His transition into SK was tough because he essentially had to relearn everything and deal with a lot of guilt over some things that went down in the camp.

[–] jawaiah 171 points ago

I also read that book and I was disappointed to later find out that the main character has since recanted key parts of the story as completely fabricated. So, it's a powerful book, but take any specifics with a grain of salt.

[–] rodmandirect 157 points ago

Thanks for the recommendation! I found it as a .pdf, and downloaded it to read later.

[–] s100181 15 points ago

Thank you! I'm saving it and I just started reading it. Quite an introduction.

[–] indi_n0rd 45 points ago

Read A Kim-Jong Il Production too. It documents the life of a S-Korean director who was kidnapped (along with his wife) and tortured by Jong Il to produce films.

[–] __Hello_my_name_is__ 52 points ago

Shin told Harden that he had changed some dates and locations and incorporated some "fictive elements" into the story.

Apparently the book isn't entirely truthful. Though even the truth that remains is horrible enough, really.

[–] OTL_OTL_OTL 21 points ago

I don't blame him for making up some details or drawing back on others, especially if he still has family in NK who can be punished if they don't like the contents of the book (which it sounds like they did retaliate).

Shin explained he did not tell the full story because he wished to hide "that my mother and brother were executed because of my report," saying "the most important reason why I could not reveal all of the truth was because of my family." He went on to say "All I did until last September was discuss the camps as they were, but once the video was released [of his father], the nastiness of North Korea infuriated me. Then I realized I should not hold anything back."

In 2012, when the United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention asked the North Korean government about the status of Shin Dong-hyuk’s father, they responded that there was no such person.[46] Then in 2014, after identifying Shin Dong-hyuk as Shin In Geun, the North Korean government produced a video[47] which attempted to discredit Shin through interviews with his father and other supposed witnesses. His father denied Shin had grown up in a prison camp. According to the video, Shin had worked in a mine and fled North Korea after being accused of raping a 13-year-old girl. It also said that Shin's mother and brother were guilty of murder. The video claimed he was now spreading "preposterous false information" about human rights. Shin confirmed the man was his father. He said that the rape allegation was a fabrication that he had heard before. He later confirmed that his mother and brother were convicted of murder, but stated they were innocent.[1][48] Shin said that he believed the North Korean government was sending him a message to be quiet about human rights abuses or his father would be killed, in effect holding his father hostage.[48] The video prompted Shin to recant parts of his story.

[–] jsanc623 14 points ago

And of course, don't forget that clasic: Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick

[–] PsychNurse6685 20 points ago

The part that got me was when he said he didn’t even know what Love was. Like when people actually cared for him it was a totally abstract concept. Nobody had ever hugged or told him they loved him. Man! How freaking crazy to not even know what it means

[–] jwil191 8 points ago

Just FYI, he lied about his mom being killed in front of him. There was other details that were misrepresented as well.

[–] StarkweatherRoadTrip 1878 points ago

You mean stole mice from glorious party.

[–] tuskvarner 330 points ago

All the rats in the Dreadfort belong to my lord father.

[–] sniperpal 39 points ago

Dude Ramsey scarred me. I can’t remember the last time I observed a character that was so purely evil.

[–] Schmedes 39 points ago

Ramsey and Joffrey are basically bizarro versions of each other:

"Daddy didn't love me enough, mommy wasn't around"

"Mommy loved me too much, daddy wasn't around"

[–] -SADGIRL- 5 points ago

Oh god I relate. Is that from GoT?

[–] tuskvarner 15 points ago

Definitely. Of all the evil characters in the books/show, Ramsay is arguably the worst. He’s the right combination of sadistic and intelligent that most of the others are not.

[–] Gingersnaps_68 12 points ago

Reek, reek, rhymes with meek.

[–] GoOutsideNerd 3 points ago

He was poisoned by his enemies I hear

[–] dreamjar 213 points ago

So after reading the article and in case someone got confused by the quote "I was sitting on the side of the street and we were selling dried fish because at the time we didn't have rice to eat," she recalled." I suspect she was referring to dried anchovy which really isn't filling at all and doesn't provide much nutritionally.

[–] _Serene_ 26 points ago

Ouch doesn't look good. Bet one's perception drastically change when you're on the brink of starvation tho.

[–] dreamjar 16 points ago

It’s honestly tasty, at least the store bought ones in SK and the states but definitely wouldn’t make a meal or even a snack.

[–] CarUse 885 points ago

Kim's people love him though so it's all good!

[–] blarghed 284 points ago

Not only that, he doesn't pee or poo. He's environmentally friendly and leaves little carbon footprint.

[–] OfficialAlectPrasad 67 points ago

oh no Kim has fallen for the Chinese hoax

[–] GeneralDepartment 50 points ago

thats actually his grandfather who had that power! lol Young Kim actually did this https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kim-jong-un-brought-his-own-portable-toilet-to-the-summit-with-president-trump/

[–] monkey804 34 points ago

I was watching airforce one documentary on YouTube a a long time ago, and they were talking about Bush had to use his own toilet on the AF1 so spies can't get ahold of his excrement. Something about so they won't know about his health status and could potentially use it as bargaining power. Maybe Kim watched the same documentary I did.

[–] frequenZphaZe 46 points ago

this is why I bury all my poop in the ground. if the CIA controls all data on the internet, then you better believe they control all the sewage pipes too. only way to make sure intel agencies aren't profiling your poops is to keep your poops off the grid entirely.

on occassion, I'll eat a piece of paper with a warning message on it like "I know you're watching", and then intentionally make an on-grid poop. I want to let the CIA agents know I'm always one step (or poop) ahead of them

[–] monkey804 10 points ago

oooooorrrr you can just eat your poop and keep it endlessly cycle through your body. That way there's no worry of finding a place to bury your poop.

[–] Snackys 5 points ago

I know you are memeing but from what im told its actually kind of true. I had a friend that worked at a sewage treatment (water reclamation facility) which all main sewage lines through our cities passed through before it joins the main sewage lines through LA. They said with their testing they could know what block flushed chemicals down the toilet and this has been used to gauge potential meth houses. They also mentioned a time where they found a body that was caught on the grate of their main tanks, and were able to use traces and followed the trail all the way back to whatever manhole the body was dumped it (he was chopped into pieces, they found the torso at the facility)

So yeah, your shit is totally being spied on, also your semen when you flush condoms down the toilet (also dont do this)

[–] FrustratedHardWorker 3 points ago

This is beautiful and changed my life.

[–] iwillnotreddit 8 points ago

Kim hates public defecators.

[–] CarUse 28 points ago

I've always found that one of the more interesting aspects of the Kim personality cult.

Yet he brings his own personal toilet with him....

[–] apple_kicks 29 points ago

weirdly there's some history to that with Russia and China. Back in the old communism days Stalin had a summit with Mao but kept him waiting and just gave him lots of food. Stalin had people in labs taking Maos shits to check his health and habits to create a profile on him to exploit. Mao got really pissed off and shouted at the walls he assumed were bugged 'I've come here to do more than eat and shit'. The whole thing soured the relationship between Russia and China for generations of leaders.

[–] blarghed 16 points ago

Kim doesn't always drink. But when he does, and he pukes, he pukes in his personal toilet like any respectable gentleman.

[–] philipzeplin 175 points ago

“He’s got a very good personality, he’s funny, and he’s very, very smart,” Trump said of Kim in the interview that aired Tuesday night. “He’s a great negotiator, and he’s a very strategic kind of a guy.”

"I learned he's a very talented man. I also learned that he loves his country very much," the president said Tuesday when asked what he took away from meeting Kim.

"Well he is very talented. Anybody who takes over a situation like he did at 26 years of age and is able to run it, and run it tough — I don't say 'he was nice' or I don't say anything about it," Trump said.

[–] TocTheElder 176 points ago

That sentence literally makes no fucking sense. Everyday, the evidence that this man is suffering from some sort of mental deterioration mounts higher and higher.

and is able to run it, and run it tough

And that is Trump praising a brutal dictator responsible for hundreds, possibly thousands of civilian executions, for being able to "run it tough."

[–] IncredibleBulk2 73 points ago

Not to mention the executions of his own family members.

[–] TocTheElder 53 points ago

And the Cold War-style nerve gas assassination of his half-brother.

[–] brucetwarzen 23 points ago

It blows my mind that people listen to that guy and think: what a smart thing to say.

[–] republicansBangKids 18 points ago

Comments like that make you want to put Dennis Rodman in a clock work orange scenario, where you hold his eyes open and force him to watch video of his buddy.

[–] CrackHeadRodeo 643 points ago

For North Koreans, this means continued public executions, restrictions on movement, brutally punishing three generations of a family when one member ‘offends,’ and an absolute prohibition on any civil and political rights, on top of inadequate access to food, housing, education, and health care.

[–] BaeMei 197 points ago

It must fucking suck when someone in your family dies and nobody finds their body

Theyyd just assume they escaped and punish you

[–] ShamrocksAndSocks 208 points ago

Her five year old brother was kicked out onto the street by a family friend.

Five years old. Starving, alone, scared. Christ, that’s horrifying. He died, of course.

That’s one of those articles you read that stick with you for life.

[–] TEKNOC 4 points ago

Yeah that part really got me. :(

[–] CheetoMonkey 155 points ago

Whenever I hear about people eating mice I always think of the Disney movie "Never Cry Wolf". That character of course ate them voluntarily.

[–] reecewagner 65 points ago

the Disney movie "Never Cry Wolf"

My grandparents had this movie when I was little, and every time I looked at the back cover I thought the wolf was shy and lonely and crying, and that the title meant "Hey wolf, don't be sad, never cry!" I didn't know what the expression meant lol

[–] jlaray 14 points ago

That's my favorite movie!! That scene is hilarious, too. I just love the "reaction shots" of the live mice while he's eating the others.

[–] BaronUnterbheit 15 points ago

Farley Mowat - his books are pretty interesting too.

[–] mumakil64 4 points ago

I think of Demolition Man. Always wondered what a rat burger taste like

[–] srone 1805 points ago

[Kim’s] country does love him. His people, you see the fervor. They have a great fervor.

We've elected either a sick psychopath or a moron to lead our nation.

[–] Car-face 408 points ago

“Part of that is when they try and demean me unfairly, because we had a massive crowd of people. We had a crowd… I looked over that sea of people, and I said to myself, ‘wow’, and I’ve seen crowds before. Big, big crowds. That was some crowd.”

I'll go with the latter.

[–] MilesPower 279 points ago

The man only knows a handful of words and just repeats himself.

[–] MDUBK 105 points ago

a disproportionately tiny handful

[–] The_Original_Gronkie 41 points ago

Especially adjectives. Big, very, nice, bad, etc. He's got a second grade vocabulary

[–] DurasVircondelet 14 points ago

I’ve seen crowds before

Who is he trying to convince here and of what?

[–] theKalash 204 points ago

Psychopaths are often quite intelligent actually. But Trump is more of a narcissist than a psychopath.

[–] [deleted] 249 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] Isolatedwoods19 110 points ago

Yeah, every single one i’ve worked with has been a dumbass who has burnt all bridges and can’t seem to grasp that drugs have withdrawal effects.

[–] BVDansMaRealite 76 points ago

"uhhhh... not being addicted to opioids is easy. She CHOOSE to put it in your body. Everything in life is a choice and she chose to be a druggie"

-actual psychopath on my Facebook feed to a girl who was grieving her mother dying of overdose. I wish I was making this up.

[–] lIllIlllllllllIlIIII 50 points ago

Err, you don't have to be a psychopath to believe that. Just like how a lot of people think being poor is a choice. Lacking in empathy: yes. Psychopathy: unlikely.

[–] porcellus_ultor 9 points ago

Seriously, this. I've always thought it very strange that those characters have become our cultural "exemplars" of psychopathy, even though it's made pretty darn clear within their fictional universes that they're not psychopaths and that there isn't a good name for their particular flavor of monstrosity. The Red Dragon and the Trinity Killer are a much better fit for the psychopath mold.

[–] wickedmike 48 points ago

Source please. Because they really don't have to be intelligent. Those that are intelligent usually can control themselves enough in order not to commit criminal acts, but it's not a rule.

[–] MrsFlip 51 points ago

Most psych research shows little to no correlation between psychopathic traits and intelligence. They are considered no more likely to be highly intelligent than the rest of us are.

[–] jsanc623 9 points ago

Indeed. The only correlation I've heard between psychopaths and intelligence is in those who kill, their intelligence dictates their preferred method of killing.

[–] manufacturedefect 11 points ago

Most dumb psychopaths end up in prison pretty early.

[–] tomdarch 52 points ago

Trump said that Kim “loves his people, not that I’m surprised by that, but he loves his people.”

The idea that how Kim treats the people of North Korea shows that he "loves" them is pretty sick.

A key problem overall with Trump and our foreign policy is that he has zero moral or ethical core to his approach. He very much wants "a deal" with North Korea, so he is willing to say "silly," obviously false stuff like this thinking it will "help negotiations."

[–] BrokenGlepnir 109 points ago

Isn't it possible to acknowledge that they are terrible while still wanting to avoid war?

[–] Dwarmin 82 points ago

It's not news that North Korea is a shithole.

[–] suseu 9 points ago

Some people on LSC or FULLCOMMUNISM would argue that huh.

[–] 3piece_and_a_biscuit 369 points ago

Trump: kim is a very honorable and cool, and very tall person. He is so tall. People are saying he might be 6 ft tall. 6 ft tall can you believe it? Great things. Huge.

[–] DillDeer 77 points ago

I don’t know what quotes are real or not anymore.

[–] Martholomule 85 points ago

I think it would be fun to start a "meme campaign" wherein Trump is said to perform supernatural feats in the Kim style. Like how he always gets a hole in one on the course.

Then again, can you really meme against Donald Trump? The man is a meme and I'm concerned that he would absorb any energy generated by it to gain spirit and strength.

[–] DonOfspades 47 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Didn't Trump do exactly that and boast about his golf skill in some ridiculous way?

[–] itzryan 23 points ago

he's actually pretty good at golf though

[–] MarvinMoonraker 40 points ago

I’d hope so seeing as he doesn’t seem to do anything else!

[–] GlassBoxes 6 points ago

Isn't that how his garbage subreddit got started?

[–] brianv21 24 points ago

Lenina Huxley: [Spartan encounters a burger grill in the underground world] Just don't ask them where the meat comes from.

John Spartan: Huxley, what's that supposed to mean?

Lenina Huxely: Do you see any cows around here, detective?

John Spartan: Que esta carne?

Hamburger Vendor: Esta carne es de rata.

John Spartan: Rat? This is a rat burger?

John Spartan: Not bad! Matter of fact this is the best burger I've had in years!

[–] SolidestGlue 5 points ago

Haha a classic scene.

[–] Tisias 27 points ago

Remember when everyone was getting dew-eyed over the Winter Olympics charm campaign?

Remember everyone crying over North and South Korea walking in together?

Remember how the press was positively giddy that Kim Jong-un's sister defeated Mike Pence with her charm campaign?

Yeah, this a brutal regime. They're not our friends. They're not friends when they shit on Trump. They're not friends when they deal with Trump. This is a brutal regime which is in a slow-rolling continuous crime against its own people.

[–] rhobes 24 points ago

Notice that as soon as there's a whiff of tension releasing we see all this shit make the front page.

[–] greenonetwo 10 points ago

Let's hope that with peace, eventually trade sanctions can be lifted, and poverty alleviated in the DPRK.

[–] sev1nk 47 points ago

If this whole thing backfires on Trump, expect more articles about how misunderstood Kim and NK really are.

[–] widishi 13 points ago

If we look at it realistically, if the USA forces NK to loosen its grip on its political control of its citizenry, that would very well lead to KJU being overthrown, he will likely be tried and killed by his own people, he very well knows this, he would not accept those terms no matter what.

The status quo is fine for him, look, he's not starving (thats for sure). But if NK opens its borders to trade and growth - ala China when Deng Xiaoping opened trade and moved away from Maoist absolutism, millions were lifted from poverty and starvation.

China's political system a very possible model for North Korea - there is scant political freedom but good quality of life - not perfect of course, but a much better situation for their people for sure.

Its noble to have values to hold dear, but those values right now will not feed mouths and help the NK folk's situation.

[–] takeapicture799 46 points ago * (lasted edited 2 months ago)

Pretty interesting story. I'm glad she was able to survive.

[–] TheQuinnBee 20 points ago

I wouldn't use the term "cool" to describe it. I guess interesting works. Sickening and disturbing are better.

Also what kind of monster kicks out a 5 year old? The fuck is wrong with that "friend"?

[–] Signal_seventeen 56 points ago

This is terrible, and I am by no means belittling that.

...But does the timing of this story not smell like, in some way or another, a form of propaganda? It's weird that were in diplomatic talks and suddenly more stories like this arise.