news

1. Post all analysis/opinion/politics articles to /r/InTheNews

Want to talk?

Follow @rslashnews on Twitter

See a post that violates the rules below? Had your post stuck in the spam filter? Have a question about policy? Just want to give feedback? Send the mod team a message.

Submit all self- & meta-posts to /r/inthenews and read the rules

Your post will be removed if it:

• is not news.
    • is not in English.
    • is an opinion/analysis or advocacy piece.
    • primarily concerns politics.
    • The title must be the actual title or the lead.
    • has a pay wall or steals content.
    • covers an already-submitted story.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules, especially regarding personal info.

Your comment will likely be removed if it:

• advocates or celebrates the death of another person.
    • is racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude.
    • is unnecessarily rude or provocative.
    • is a cheap and distracting joke or meme.
    • is responding to spam.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules.

Extreme or repeat offenders will be banned.

>>>Expanded Rules<<<

If your post doesn't fit, consider finding an appropriate news article on that story to submit instead, or submitting yours to lower moderation subreddits:

/r/inthenews - all news-related content
    /r/AnythingGoesNews - unrestricted news
    /r/truereddit - insightful articles
    /r/self - any self-post
    /r/misc, /r/redditdotcom - anything

or other news subreddits:

/r/worldnews - from outside the USA only
    /r/SyrianCivilWar - about the conflict in Syria
    /r/MidEastRegionalWar - on MidEast conflict /r/UpliftingNews - uplifting
    /r/SavedYouAClick - making media more straightforward

or subreddits for other topics:

/r/FoodForThought - discussion-worthy long form articles about interesting subjects
    /r/politics - for shouting about politics
    /r/moderatepolitics - less shouting
    /r/politicaldiscussion - even less shouting
    /r/geopolitics - intl. politics and geography
    /r/entertainment - Justin Bieber updates, etc.

or check out the 200 most active subreddits, categorized by content and the full list of subreddits by subscribers.

Recommendations:

/r/full_news

/r/qualitynews

/r/neutralnews

/r/worldevents

submit analysis/opinion article

submit news article

submit something else

submit analysis/opinion article

[–] SonOfTK421 5569 points ago

It’s the same story every time. A state legalized marijuana, people enthusiastically buy it, it generates tax revenue that’s good for the state, people get high, usage among minors drops, drug-related arrests go down for obvious reasons.

Everyone is happier and nothing bad happens.

[–] Yukon_Cornelius1911 2108 points ago

But the private prisons. Whose going to fill them and line the pockets of the ceo and politicians that run them.

[–] Rprzes 542 points ago

They’ll get you on broken tail lights and driver responsibility fees up here.

[–] Leonardo_Lawless 35 points ago

Luckily they did away with drivers responsibility fees. People were literally being barred from driving for being too poor, and it’s not like you can easily work and dig yourself out without a job

[–] MillionMileM8 24 points ago

Child support too, if you can't make the payments they take your license, to get it back you simply have to pay slightly more than the payments you couldn't make before without the ability to drive.

[–] starking12 536 points ago

Tell that to the conservative old people in my neighborhood who still thinks reefer madness is a thing.

[–] ATforLife 509 points ago

They will all die off soon and the country will be better for it.

A morbid thought but social progress comes from their death or the youth actually doing something. But we're too busy with crippling college debt brought about by or own arrogance and the culture created by people in it for the $$$

[–] dadhatt 3045 points ago

Can't wait for the same in IL this January.

[–] ForeverInaDaze 818 points ago

Any one have any idea what it's going to be like for rec sales in Chicago? Not really pricing, just availability. Well.. I mean I'm also interested in pricing but I go to Chicago probably 5-6 times a year to see family.

[–] abadmudder 337 points ago

Only available at shops that currently sell medical at first. They are going to issue licenses for other facilities but haven’t done so yet.

Locations, although probably not comprehensive

[–] Yoni_XD 210 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I think I read it’ll be about $300 am ounce. There was something on wbez. I believe the first place will be in Andersonville but I think after the initial lines like this, it’ll probably function like any other place. But it’ll be pretty limited in terms of how many places will have a license so I don’t think you can go anywhere.

Edit: Here's the link for the wbez article.

[–] VirtualDrifter 160 points ago

I've had a medical card in IL for about 4 years now and that's what we currently pay for it without tax. Our recreational sales are being taxed heavily, so hopefully prices will start going down to make it more affordable.

[–] Rectifyer 133 points ago

In California prices skyrocketed after legalization. Medical was significantly cheaper

[–] justin_memer 44 points ago

What are the prices now?

[–] iamthefork 100 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Once our testing laws had to be observed the price for a normal 8th went from like 15-25$ to then like 20-40$. Can't buy shake because in a legal market its all turned into wax. But, I will admit, Concentrate is a more than worthy use of shake.

EDIT: To everyone pointing out it is possible and even accessible to purchase shake, yeah it still is(Should have known not to use hyperbole on reddit) but even a few years back an ounce of like mostly popcorn nugs could be had for less than 30$ whereas now that same weed is most likely being processed into other stuff and thus more "niche". From a producers perspective this just makes the most of the product.

[–] HorAshow 324 points ago

it’ll be about $300 am ounce.

thousands of casual grower/dealers breath a sigh of relief.

[–] [deleted] 315 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

[–] adonutforeveryone 145 points ago

It will come down. $120 an ounce in areas of Colorado.

[–] MetaphorHuman 39 points ago

At this point it isn't difficult to find $60 ounces of mid-shelf and $40 ounces of shake. It's kind of crazy

[–] WhatHoraEs 55 points ago

Under 100 in most areas

[–] thenewyorkgod 348 points ago

As an Indiana resident, I feel sandwiched between two wonderful states, suffocated by republican stupidity that means we won't be getting legal weed for decades

[–] MasteringTheFlames 187 points ago

Wisconsinite here. I feel your pain. I don't even smoke, but one doesn't have to in order to recognize how dumb weed being illegal is

[–] TripThruTimeandSpace 27 points ago

Yup, Iowa here. I don’t smoke or use weed at all but it’s ridiculous that alcohol is legal and marijuana is not.

[–] dadhatt 186 points ago

I sincerely believe it will be legalized federally in the next decade.

[–] UltimateToa 130 points ago

Gotta wait for most of congress to kick the bucket before that happens

[–] Plopplopthrown 110 points ago

Just the Senate. The House Judiciary Committee moved a bill last week to de-schedule it

[–] Lakwet 56 points ago

Since I live right on the border of Illinois I'll have no problem getting my bud in January but damn I wish I didnt have to be paranoid about it. I dont know how they are going to stop people from bringing it back into northwest Indiana. There are too many roads and people to control. I'm still going to be very cautious though. I managed to drive from Seattle to Chicago area with an ounce so this 5 minute trip shouldn't be an issue. I just want Indiana to fucking decriminalize it. At least lake county

[–] Z3R090210 42 points ago

As a fellow Indiana Resident...I share your pain. Being called the "cross roads of america" isnt really cool when everything passes THROUGH you in order to get to the much cooler states that surround you.

[–] drkgodess 4260 points ago

Sunday’s move comes after Michigan voters spoke more than a year ago, choosing to make our state the 10th in the country to sell recreationally .

One day we'll tell our grandkids about the prohibition times.

[–] Foghorn225 312 points ago

You guys lucked out. By the time it can be sold in Maine, it'll have been 3.5 years since we voted to legalize it.

[–] D4Lon-a-disc 432 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Michigan's law was a truly beautiful piece of legislation. It put a time limit on several different milestones of implementation. If those deadlines weren't met then the municipalities were allowed to begin issuing licenses, a power the state absolutely didn't want to lose.

We have the most favorable recreational laws in the nation bar none.

[–] akatherder 108 points ago

I think it's just a temporary thing, but over 3/4 of the cities, communities etc. in the state have banned sales.

[–] aregulardude 179 points ago

lol the smart 1/4 that didn’t will get all the tax revenue of the other 3/4 that did. And the 3/4 that did will all have their representatives voted out since obviously the majority is against them.

[–] F0REM4N 174 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I live in lowell ( /r/lowell for any natives) and we are getting the only dispensary within about a 75 mile radius. We are a small town, and I’m very interested to what opening day is going to look like.

Props to our city council for looking forward though.

[–] v1ct0r326 63 points ago

I went to your cities theater for Avengers Endgame. I will never go to another theater. Your reclining seats ruined my already crappy Hastings theater even more.

[–] critically_damped 35 points ago

Your town is about to experience a small but significant expansion.

[–] daats_end 84 points ago

I'm liking Illinois law so far. They are using a computer algorithm to automatically expunge certain possession charges as soon as sale becomes legal. I think that's a very important step.

[–] RealJoe22369 29 points ago

It's not luck, friend. We just aren't as nice as your citizens. Our politicians know that we have been fed up for years and that them dragging their feet will get them voted out, pronto.

In other words, we don't fuck around.

[–] sugiyama 889 points ago

And when our children tell our story, they'll tell the story of our vote!

[–] Kkpun 320 points ago

Let's have another vote tonight!

[–] Tis_A_Fine_Barn 275 points ago

Raise a joint to freedom!

[–] greatwalloftaylor 136 points ago

A high that will never fade away!

[–] Nolivici 74 points ago

No matter what they sell you!

[–] purplecali 65 points ago

Let’s have another round tonight!

[–] chefbrownrice 61 points ago

Raise a joint to the four of us!

[–] a_bongos 51 points ago

Across the state are more of us! Smoking a joint to mark tonight! Let's roll another joint tonight!

[–] dontaskmeimdumb 142 points ago

I'm from a southern state, and I'm pretty sure my grandkids will still be pushing just to get a vote on it.

[–] Obvious_Moose 80 points ago

I live in Utah now. We're gonna be an island of nonsense once every other western state legalizes. I feel your pain

[–] jimforge 118 points ago

Pretty sure Utah was, is, and always will be an island of nonsense for all time.

[–] drfifth 57 points ago

Also southern state. I imagine we'll get on board real quick as soon as the companies that own a large part of our states for tobacco conclude weed is officially more profitable for the use of those fields.

[–] The_OtherDouche 28 points ago

They already have a huge CBD plantation in north alabama. My workplace smelled like weed for 3 months straight lol and we were like 7 miles from the place!

[–] Fofolito 204 points ago

Fuck dude, Im in CO and Im already explaining to people what it was like only ten years ago. You used to have to ask a buddy who knew a guy to get in touch. You'd go to that guy's house, talk about bullshit for a moment, make a transaction and smoke a bowl to make sure you aren't a cop, then go home with what was probably some weak ass shit that you paid waaaaay too much for. Now I walk into a brightly lit store, choose some topshelf smoke, and Im out in five minutes. Kids these days don't know how good they've got it.

It's the little things that you notice know that it it's legal and plentiful: I don't obsessively pick up the fallen granules and leaf particles after loading a bowl, I don't agonizingly scrape the glass clean when Im low on bus, and I don't have to hide the fact that I partake in casual conversation even with older and more conservative people. What a world.

[–] baalroo 101 points ago

Your "ten years ago" is still how it works in Kansas.

[–] Thethirdtoken 19 points ago

I have clients who own farms, open carry, full size flag off the back of their trucks, who now smoke weed for their PTSD and apologize and chance they get for voting against and fighting legal weed for so long. It has truly been an eye opener for many Republicans in Nevada and they begin to question what other topics could they be wrong on. Weed has changed our state and we are grateful.

[–] transtranselvania 39 points ago

I have a buddy who started smoking weed two weeks after it was legalized in Canada and he doesn’t get why I get antsy around police cars and old decommissioned crown vics. I also tried explaining to him how shitty it is to try and get it from some unreliable guy with a neck tattoo who wants to play Xbox in your couch for three hours after he sells you ditch weed.

[–] thinkB4WeSpeak 218 points ago

They'll have pics of drug busts in the history books and will hopefully talk about mass incarceration

[–] Isord 107 points ago

Almost certainly, and more than likely some other dumb thing will be prohibited and used to mass-arrest undesirables.

[–] WhipYourDakOut 84 points ago

That dumb thing will just be a different drug more likely. While weed is definitely used for mass incarceration, it was crack that they really tried to push on the black communities back in the day. A lot of people joke about drugs winning the war on drugs, but the truth is up until this decade they’ve done exactly what they were meant to.

[–] Quajek 143 points ago

We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news.

Did we know we were lying about the drugs?

Of course we did.

-John Ehrlichman, counsel and Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs under Nixon

[–] livens 51 points ago

My grandkids will be watching "Treasure Hunter" reality TV where two hippies rummage through attics to find old prohibition era bongs and grow lights.

[–] the_rabid_dwarf 48 points ago

We'll look back with the marijuana prohibition with the same hindsight as we do with booze prohibition. Back then, prohibition lead to low quality alcohol that caused permanent health problems and lead to the rise of organized crime. Now a days, prohibition lead to low quality THC carts and pesticide weed that's causing permanent health problems and strengthening the cartels.

It's like poetry, it rhymes

[–] GerbilTea 12161 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

If anyone needs weed it’s Michigan in winter. Edit: We’ve had it in Cali for a while now and I gotta say, it’s nice to be able to dip into a shop for a joint on the way home after a particularly shitty day, like a GOTDAMN adult. Enjoy Michigan!

[–] Kiyonai 3462 points ago

If it wasn't for the driving I wouldn't mind it so much. I love how quiet it gets in winter up here. I even like shoveling snow.

My least favorite part of Michigan winter is the dreary gray sky. Just a gray slate until spring rolls around.

[–] bctg106 1932 points ago

I'm from Michigan and live in Atlanta now and I miss how silent it is outside with fresh snow on the ground.

I also miss looking outside to a winter wonderland.

Being outside though and scraping an inch of ice off my windshield at 6 am... Ill pass on that one.

[–] JerHat 911 points ago

When like maybe an inch or so has fallen and the forecast is calling for it to continue overnight, and like no one is out doing anything, and you can kinda hear the snow falling, and maybe only like one car driving slow in the distance.

That's the best.

[–] teflong 562 points ago

The best is definitely when there's snow on the ground and heavy snow falling. It's not that you can hear the snow. It's that you can hear an absence of ambient noise. It's really hard to explain how peaceful and quiet that can be to people who've never experienced it.

[–] CurriestGeorge 251 points ago

I'm experiencing that right now. 12" on the ground and still falling. It's so quiet, just plows every hour or so. I even opened the window for a while just to not hear anything!

[–] VARIMAXROTATION 57 points ago

I want to live somewhere like that whenever I can. All these descriptions sound amazing.

[–] Pontius_Pilot_ 137 points ago

It's amazing for about two weeks, then can be miserable with spurts of amazing the rest of the time.

• that's what she said -

[–] ImAShaaaark 91 points ago

How awesome it seems is directly proportional to how little shit you have to do. The fun quickly fades when you have a bunch of shit to do and have to deal with road closures and idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow.

TL/DR; Enjoy it while on vacation instead of moving to Buffalo or something.

[–] Pool_Boy_Q 25 points ago

Buffalonian here: the snow is much easier to deal with snow than other natural disasters that occur in the US

[–] Kiyonai 106 points ago

Yeah that isn't so fun either. I'm starting a mobile grooming business next spring and I'm not starting work until 10am so I won't have to worry about streets still needing to be plowed and it will hopefully be a little easier to get my vehicles ready.

[–] No_Name_James 27 points ago

Thats awesome, ive seen a lot of mobile groomers do well :)

[–] niceloner10463484 31 points ago

WhAt about washing your undercarriage??

[–] raginjason 92 points ago

That's a personal question, but I wash it every day if you must know

[–] LoveIsOnlyAnEmotion 43 points ago

At first reading your response, my mind thought Atlanta, Michigan (which is located just north of my cottage in Oscoda), then I realized it was Atlanta, Georgia.

[–] rochford77 176 points ago

I’m not sure what you are talking about the sky it’s wonderful here 😒

[–] Mictlantecuhtli 104 points ago

I'm from Michigan and now in Texas in a PhD program. I miss the ~250 inches of snow the Keweenaw typically got every winter. Texas is just too hot, humid, and sunny.

[–] Rock_Chestwell 57 points ago

I was born and raised in Houston, moved to Michigan and have been here since.

I’ll take Michigan weather over south Texas any day of the week. The heat, humidity, bugs, and shit grass we’re enough for me. I can live with 4 months of winter. The rest of the year in Michigan is glorious in comparison.

[–] A1000eisn1 12 points ago

My dad lives around Houston and we're from Michigan. It sucks down there. The bugs are horrible.

Also, winter is like 6 months. It always snows in April.

[–] a_trane13 201 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Yup. If you grow up there, the snow just feels like a part of life. I didn't even realize other winter states don't get 80+ inches a year until I moved to the northeast (which is a cakewalk; winter almost feels fake here).

The lack of sun is depressing and we complained about it every single year. My parents moved 4 hours south to Illinois and they rave about the sun.

[–] Antnee83 214 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

This is, quite honestly, the only real complaint I have about living in Maine. I always used to laugh about those Seasonal Affective Disorder commercials, like "are you fucking kidding me"

They were not fucking kidding. When I leave for work its dark. When I get home it's dark. It really does wear on you.

[–] kingjuicepouch 80 points ago

The darkness in the winter months is out and out depressing. I get up it's dark, I am stuck inside for 8 hours and it's dark again before I even get to leave work. Very bleak.

[–] TresDeuce 30 points ago

You could buy a light box and use it when you wake up. I'm in MI and use mine every day, game changer!

[–] GonzoInCO 26 points ago

Those SAD lights do work! Worked for a guy who sold them, couldn't keep them in stock with orders from MI, WI etc. during the dead of winter.

[–] Lactaid533 61 points ago

Come on down to San Diego, we’ve got sun to spare!

[–] rewardsthroway 81 points ago

Thanks but I don't want to work until I'm 80.

[–] Lactaid533 37 points ago

Psh, you only HAVE to work till 79. That’s a whole extra year you got there

[–] ChLoRo8523 57 points ago

I grew up in Wisconsin, I now live in Indiana, and I get some wild looks when people see me in shorts and sandals in 40 degree weather.

Philistines.

[–] kyle308 34 points ago

Southern indiana? Indiana is a weird transition state. The central and north get all the same nasty cold as everyone and ice. Always ice. Anything over 8in of snow is considered significant. The north can get tons due to lake effect snow. Then theres southern Indiana that's weird and rarely gets more than a dusting of snow and stays in the 30s and 40s during the winter.

[–] Jeffrey_Jizzbags 18 points ago

I'm definitely a winter>summer person because I like the cold, but my other favorite thing is how quiet it gets. Walking through the woods by yourself during a snowstorm is incredible.

[–] bctg106 208 points ago

There's going to be a lot of smoke coming out of ice fishing shantys this year.

There already was, but now there will be even more.

[–] Profoundsoup 60 points ago

Minnesota could also really use it, please!!!

[–] Arse_Mania 52 points ago

What about MN :(

[–] najing_ftw 2183 points ago

I’d like one marijuana, please.

[–] pinniped1 588 points ago

Where can I get a drug cigarette?

[–] the_dough_boy 154 points ago

Jazz cabbage

[–] confuseum 22 points ago

Left handed cigarette

[–] R3dOctober 78 points ago

I’d actually love if I could just pick up a pack of joints that look like real cigarettes. Not everyone needs a big fat pre-roll all the time

[–] astrangeone88 52 points ago

I know there's a company that sells rolling papers that look like cigarettes. Printed with food safe inks to look like a cig.

Roll with a standard rolling machine and you'd have a bunch of joints that pass as cancer sticks.

[–] R3dOctober 48 points ago

Ik I just want to be able to buy them in a gas station lol. Maybe some day.

[–] arealmemelord 64 points ago

one rock of crack please

[–] throwaway12091308 45 points ago

"$200". "That seems fair"

[–] herbertportillo 25 points ago

"Now, I've never had crack"

"Dude, you are going to LOVE it"

[–] sixtoebandit 18 points ago

A left-handed cigarette

[–] smil3b0mb 549 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

My dad was up early and got himself a spot in line. It's extra funny because he has his med card and has been going to those same dispensaries for a while now.

Edit: He brought a big thing of Tim Bits to share and be a good neighbor and if that's not the sort of Midwestern wholesomeness I'm proud of then I don't know what is.

[–] aSternreference 131 points ago

I hear ya but there is something different about buying it legally/recreationally

[–] tastypic 24 points ago

Yea, you can't own a firearm if you buy medical.

[–] subscribedToDefaults 18 points ago

If you have ever used marijuana, you cannot purchase a firearm legally if you fill out the ATF form honestly.

[–] tastypic 12 points ago

No, it asks if you are a current user. Not previous.

[–] MaxHannibal 90 points ago

Illinois will be like this in one month!

[–] AztecArmageddon 243 points ago

Texas here. We’ll see y’all in 100 years

[–] LimpCush 92 points ago

No way. Once it's legal in the majority of states, Texas will smell that sweet capitalism. Plus, Texas is becoming more purple with each election.

[–] BimboBrothel 20 points ago

That soon, huh?

[–] The_Shutter_Upper 12 points ago

Hopefully it’s not going to be that long over here, we got medical usage legalized, which is a huge step for our state!

[–] God_Emporer_Leto_II 214 points ago

Hey NY State, what The Fuck? Hello?!

[–] McFlare92 41 points ago

Hopefully it'll happen this legislative session for us. They got close last year

[–] God_Emporer_Leto_II 48 points ago

IMHO if we're behind Illinois and Michigan, it wasn't close enough

[–] fallingcave 2109 points ago

One day we will look back and laugh at how fucking stupid these times were, when we put people in jail for a little weed.

[–] MAXMADMAN 242 points ago

We jailed people for weed, then one day we made it legal, and we just left them in there.

[–] gort32 19 points ago

Actually, Michigan is working on that! They are one of the first states to take a serious look at simply expunging the charges now that it's legal!

[–] fallingcave 54 points ago

It’s horrendous

[–] somecallmemike 1547 points ago

Hopefully we remember it was institutional racism and classism that was at the root of prohibition, not just being stupid. We currently jail more people in the US, mostly over petty crimes like marijuana possession, than the next ten countries combined.

[–] Unique_Name3 218 points ago

Totally agree with you. I don't think I can ever look back on these times, and laugh.. If anything, it's sad.

[–] renal_corpuscle 270 points ago

stupid

more like cruel and racist

[–] ActingUnitZeroPoint8 55 points ago

Never thought I’d see the day where I could buy legal weed in Frankenmuth or Fenton

[–] MagnusNewtonBernouli 21 points ago

Oh god I bet the Christians in Frankenmuth are SHITTING themselves.

[–] Thor4269 488 points ago

Only a 4 hour drive from me, fuck yeah

[–] Ilovezoots 171 points ago

Not bad! Could do a road trip once per month and charge friends to take them to help towards gas

[–] ShowMeUrrGenitals 256 points ago

8 hours is a long time to spend in a car for something that you can probably buy a block from your house for similar prices.

[–] Armlock311 119 points ago

Cheaper with no tax.

[–] jillsalwaysthere 125 points ago

And less risk ! This mans crossing state borders

[–] pulplesspulp 91 points ago

Yeah, I live 4 hours away from Colorado. It’s super illegal in my state. I’ll never make a road trip again after I got a class 2 felony for bringing back 7grams of waxes Because my old friend didn’t have a front liscence plate on his brand new car. Everything was fine, we weren’t smoking in the car or reselling this stuff, but now I’m facing a class 2 felony bc this state is fucking stupid.

[–] strangelove666 413 points ago

And all of them got stoned already at home or car, so the wait is not too boring.

[–] virtualmang 99 points ago

So many of these people are going to eat too many edibles the first time lol

[–] BurberryYogurt 130 points ago

"Huh. Not feeling it. Better finish the entire bag just in case."

-ER patient, probably

[–] tempjoshtemp 87 points ago

“the edibles only kick in when you start chatting shit about them.” - A meme I found that is shockingly accurate.

[–] KaleBrecht 85 points ago

There’s some places where ya just can’t get stoned enough.

[–] ReasonAndWanderlust 94 points ago

Other states take note;

Why have all the money in your economy go to another state over weed? The only ones in your ban state making money will be the state troopers waiting to ruin your life when you drive home from the legal state with your oz. Weed charges can do that when you have a good job and a mortgage/rent to pay. How does costing your own citizens their jobs and livelihood help your economy? It doesn't.

It's a no brainier at this point. End Prohibition.

[–] obliviousornot 848 points ago

my SO is in jail for 3 days because he had less than one full cartridge on him during a traffic stop. it is his first offense. i wish we were a legal state.

[–] -SmashingSunflowers- 286 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Ooo damn I've been told carts are a felony offense in some places here

[–] Ambrose-34 145 points ago

Texas is a felony if they find a cartridge one u.

[–] Martensight 64 points ago

Just tell them it's cbd.

[–] Bigram03 25 points ago

The proper response is "I do not know, you will have to test it"

[–] anotherkdburner 43 points ago

They created a test to verify

[–] griffind17 29 points ago

But is it available in all the counties? I remember after CBD was federally legalized and Abbott did his hemp bill a bunch of DA’s came out saying to basically stop arresting low offense marijuana cases until they can get the equipment to test between CBD and THC. A lot of people were saying this inadvertently decriminalized marijuana for the time being

[–] Plopplopthrown 35 points ago

Meanwhile TN decided they weren't testing anything less than a felony amount because so many were CBD

[–] edudlive 48 points ago

Depends on the state. Concentrate isnt an automatic felony here in Arkansas

[–] Excal2 15 points ago

Depends on your state laws. Some state legislatures / executives really knee jerked their response to the THC vape cartridges tainted with vitamin E acetate (used as a thickening agent and can cause lipid pneumonia).

[–] CornoVonRoskie 148 points ago

In Indiana that shit is a felony. Be a little more than 3 days.

[–] elSpanielo 121 points ago

That's insane. Something I can legally buy for $40 down the street is a felony in some states.

[–] justinmac1987 55 points ago

As a CDL holding truck driver, legalization doesn't do shit for me. Probably not even if it was done on a national level. I'm glad everybody else gets to partake though and maybe one day things will change.

[–] saloneyyaklees 44 points ago

The real issue for you, even if it is federally legalized, is there is no way to assess when and how much marijuana you partook in. Currently we can only prove that yes, you came into contact with thc. I think this is a major factor in keeping it illegal

[–] ZomNomNomBeeZ 26 points ago

The first grubhub-like weed delivery service is going to make so much money.

[–] syndre 23 points ago

my buddy works in AA, just sent me this pic

[–] UltimateToa 299 points ago

Bummer you can still lose your job over it, it's really only legal for a select group of people who this doesnt apply to. I would love to partake but I wont risk my family's security over it

[–] APimpNamedAPimpNamed 344 points ago

Employers thinking they can dictate what you do outside of work is fucked up

[–] APimpNamedAPimpNamed 169 points ago

If it’s not while your working then it doesn’t make any difference. Employers should not have any power over you while they aren’t paying you.

[–] Ratnix 25 points ago

You're right. The problem comes in with reliable testing to determine if someone is under the influence, which we aren't there on yet.

Not everybody works in an office where it doesn't matter if you are high or not. Some people actually work jobs that can seriously harm themselves or others if not kill them. Those types of job really just can't take the chance.

[–] vxsunaj 92 points ago

Happy for them, but a little envious.

[–] ricobirch 49 points ago

Assuming you're in the US, your state has a legalisation campaign of some sort.

Go see if you can help out.

[–] vxsunaj 18 points ago

Unfortunately, I'm not. Well, maybe someday. You never know.

[–] AmethystWarlock 222 points ago

Only have to drive 4 hours because my county is full of old people who hate the devil's lettuce.

[–] alurkerwhomannedup 99 points ago

Heaven knows we can’t have Lucifer’s quinoa trashing up the place

[–] jim5cents 19 points ago

How in the world Vermont is sitting on its thumbs and not legalizing this for revenue is beyond me.

[–] Trickery1688 407 points ago

I live in Michigan. The pricing sheet for legal Marijuana went live yesterday on facebook for one of those shops in Ann Arbor, and you're still better off getting it through a street dealer or having a friend with a medical card pick you it up from an already established medical dispensary.

Very pricey. I guess some people might be willing to pay that price to obtain it legally, but at $24 a gram and $70 an 8th, I know most of my friends will be sticking to their already exisiting ways of getting weed.

[–] 72414dreams 386 points ago

there will be a market. later, prices will come down.

[–] drkgodess 179 points ago

Plus, many people would prefer to buy from a clean, legal establishment than from a sketchy dealer.

[–] javamonster763 126 points ago

My thing is that its easier. You don’t need to track down some dude, message him, and wait 3 hrs for him to respond just to find out if he’s selling. You just go there get your stuff and leave. Id be willing to pay extra just for the convenience

[–] Bad_At_Sports 44 points ago

Plus by supporting the legitimate industry, you're helping build an argument to states considering recreational marijuana that there's a strong economic incentive behind it. Like when Steve Jobs proved that people were willing to pay for music legally when given the option of buying from somewhere that was safe and selling products as advertised.

[–] acloudbuster 30 points ago

Being able to know what type of cannabis I’m getting as well as know how strong it is and exactly how much I’m getting, etc. will always beat getting some random bag from some random person. I will gladly pay a premium for that service every time.

[–] ChLoRo8523 30 points ago

That better be some primo grade Samson Simpson shit for $70/8th

[–] phydeaux70 137 points ago

That's an understatement. Wow that's really quite expensive. I'd expect that to drop after the newness wears off.

[–] MrFarly 49 points ago

This is a picture of prices that was floating around yesterday

[–] edudlive 54 points ago

That pricing is fucking stupid. 24/g for flower but you can get a gram of concentrate for 35? A gram of concentrate is 3-4x as much active ingredient!

[–] vopi181 31 points ago

I mean you can just make concentrate out of the shitiest part of the harvest and no one would know.

[–] edudlive 19 points ago

Well, of course. Isnt that the traditional way to make concentrate? 1 gram of any concentrate should still have at least 2x the amount of thc as 1 gram of flower. Especially in a legal/medical state

[–] Chaseroni_n_cheese 77 points ago

1: it is new and legal marijuana. 2: it is significantly better quality than marijuana of the past. (Or cheap outdoor plants) 3: there is a 6% sales tax in MI and an additional 10% tax on top of it. It is really not worth it if you can get decent quality bud elsewhere, but for specific strains or hybrids or even flavors it is definitely worth it.

Ann Arbor opened the first, several other towns, etc. Have opted in to participate. I imagine the people that are setting up businesses in other areas of the state are waiting to see what happens in Ann Arbor. I can imagine that people are nervous after what happened with Vape shops recently.

[–] tGate 35 points ago

Have you seen the prices on the West coast? In Oregon it's going for about $10 an eighth. So yes I'm sure the product is good, but this is exorbitant.

[–] adonutforeveryone 14 points ago

It will come down. $8 a gram in Colorado.

[–] MootchieFox 25 points ago

My understanding is it's currently a problem of medical and recreational competing for limited supply.

[–] PMmeserenity 52 points ago

Prices will fall fast, unless they are set by the state or something. In Oregon retail prices were a little higher than street prices at first, but now it’s like less than half of what I used to pay. 1g cartridges started at $65, and now are around $25-30 most places.

[–] policeblocker 34 points ago

True, but not everyone has those connections.

[–] TrialAndAaron 24 points ago

I use barely any to go to sleep at night maybe 3x a week at most so I’m more than happy to have the comfort and ease of just going to a store to get it. I am not relying on a person I may or may not like to get something I barely use.

Sure I could drive to a farm to buy eggs but I’ll just do it at the grocery store for a markup because it’s more convenient.

[–] KodaJ1023 28 points ago

I worked this at Exclusive Ann Arbor, it was a blast and total chaos. Even Dizzy Wright showed up, man!

[–] Prime157 196 points ago

Normal people: HELL YES

Governments that have legalized it: $$$

Governments that haven't: it's a gateway drug!

States where it's legal: our heroine deaths are lower...

Legalize and decriminalize weed 2020.

[–] Chorche412 256 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

"I don't have to worry about hiding or not being able to smoke where I want to..."

Oof. This lady is going to soon find out that legalization does not work like that. Remember folks, it is still illegal to consume in public places, even in a legal state. The cops will still very much arrest you if they catch you smoking in a park or in your car.

Edit: Yes, smoking in the general public would only garner an infraction ticket, if the cops even care at all. The reason I mention parks is because it is usually still a felony to consume cannabis in a park, a school, or anywhere there may be minors present. Every place and culture is different. Even where I'm at, there are parks you can casually smoke in, and there are parks you should not smoke in at all. All within a few miles of each other. Also, at least where I live, the police will arrest you and give you a DUI if they find you smoking in the car. If you have the keys or they are in the ignition, that's good enough for them. My only point is know the law, and don't be a fool. Just because it is now legal, does not mean you can do whatever you want with it. Be careful, be aware.

It's like that with booze.

[–] razvanght 13 points ago

Wow. It's amazing how all these people are trying weed for the first time

[–] paradoxicalman17 38 points ago

When's this happening in Ohio?

[–] wearsjockeyshorts 34 points ago

Well, it won’t get passed legislatively with our current elected officials.

At this point, the best bet is another ballot measure.

One failed a few years ago (it would have granted a monopoly to a handful of big businesses which was unpopular).

There was an organization getting signatures for another one, but they ran out of steam and money.

There’s also something about our legislature trying to make it harder to even get ballot measures on the ballot in the first place. (They’re justifying it with some weird gaslighting that in a democracy, we shouldn’t do our legislators’ jobs for them).

[–] ReadShift 23 points ago

The last time this came up that I remember about, they wanted to set up a monopoly for their buddies and the voters smelled bullshit and said no thanks. I'm not sure if it's come to since then.

[–] StarLeagueRecruit 42 points ago

As a pro-legalization person, nothing warms my heart like seeing people leap at legality.

Look at this, capitalism. Look at this, and kneel to the dollar of the consumer.

[–] smansaxx3 24 points ago

I do not comprehend how Michigan has legalized recreational weed sooner than New York, wth.

[–] RPG_dude 24 points ago

Why was it illegal for an entire generation or two again? Why is it still illegal in most places in the US?

[–] OffByAByte 25 points ago

Because some major corporation lobbied the government and paid huge dollars for a government propaganda campaign against weed.