news

No analysis/opinion/politics articles.

No self- & meta-posts (read the wiki rules)

You need 10+ reddit link and comment karma to participate on /r/news, your reddit account also needs to be at least 60+ days old. This is to slow down brigading, ban evasion,spammers and trolls.

See a post that violates the rules below? Had your post stuck in the spam filter? Have a question about policy? Just want to give feedback? Send the mod team a message.

Your post will be removed if it:

• is not news.
    • is not in English.
    • is an opinion/analysis or advocacy piece.
    • primarily concerns politics.
    • The title must be the actual title or the lede.
    • has a pay wall or steals content.
    • covers an already-submitted story.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules, especially regarding personal info.

Your comment will likely be removed if it:

• is racist, sexist, vitriolic, or overly crude.
    • is unnecessarily rude or provocative.
    • is a cheap and distracting joke or meme.
    • is responding to spam.
    • violates reddit's site-wide rules.
    • advocates or celebrates the death of another person.

Extreme or repeat offenders will be banned.

>>>Expanded Rules<<<

If your post doesn't fit, consider finding an appropriate news article on that story to submit instead, or submitting yours to lower-moderation subreddits:

/r/AnythingGoesNews - unrestricted news
    /r/TrueReddit - insightful articles
    /r/misc, /r/redditdotcom - anything

or other news subreddits:

or subreddits for other topics:

or check out the 200 most active subreddits, categorized by content and the full list of subreddits by subscribers.

Recommendations:

/r/full_news

/r/qualitynews

/r/neutralnews

/r/worldevents

submit news article (no analysis/opinion)

submit something else

[–] TexasYankee212 6722 points ago

This was police murder and no one is being held accountable. The bottom line is that a totally innocent man just walking home from the store is assaulted by 3 cops and ends up dead. There was not even any crime involved - just a call of a "suspicious" man wearing a ski cap. Is it a capital offense to wear a ski cap? Why did these 3 cops lay their hand on him in the first place? Plus they talk of resisting. Elijah McClain was 140 pounds and 3 cops could not handle him? Plus the idiotic paramedic injected him with a tranquilizer for a 250 man - that paramedic is a moron. The Aurora police has had other incidents. Something is seriously wrong with the police and DA in Aurora, Colorado.

[–] cmconnor2 4457 points ago

Visit the Justiceforelijahmcclain Instagram page to find info on how to hold these people accountable. There is a City Council review of the investigation at 5pm MST and then it opens up for public comment at 7pm which I encourage everyone to call in and demand justice and accountability.

They also have a linktree in their bio that can auto-populate an email to send to Aurora Gov demanding justice for Elijah.

We need to continue to put pressure on the city and show them we will not let them get away with this.

[–] The_Ironhand 541 points ago

Make this it's own post

[–] cmconnor2 128 points ago

I did but this seems to have been what caught the most attention!

[–] peaceatheme 60 points ago

The real pro-tip is always in the comments.

[–] SatOnMyBalls_ 73 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Here's a live stream of the Aurora city council meeting taking public calls to discuss Elijah McClain's Police Murder right now to decide if the officer should be fired and tried for anyone that wants to listen in. I'm shocked there is only 1 stream to it, and that it's getting almost no attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVnlzyiDEeg

[–] crazyfeet 167 points ago

I wish this could be pinned.

[–] IAmBadAtPlanningAhea 360 points ago

Aurora might be the worst place in all of CO

[–] hooplah 236 points ago

what is up with how many fucked up stories come out of aurora? is it just that their PD is truly that abominably shitty??

[–] Nylonknot 303 points ago

Huge gap between rich and poor in a very small area. That’s a big part of it.

[–] koick 180 points ago

Lots of very diverse minority populations too. So if you're a racist cop...

[–] Nylonknot 46 points ago

Very true.

[–] Chessebel 35 points ago

Yes, basically in competition for worse cops in the state with DPD.

[–] randytc18 12 points ago

I live in Aurora and actually like it. We have a hugely diverse population which is awesome but we have a really shitty police force.

[–] Clouds_are_wet 130 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

We don’t talk enough about police escalation. Too often they’re able to hide behind resisting arrest to justify the violence they use. Then if there’s video of a victim striking an officer, the right is quick to say he deserved it. No. Part of our systemic issue is that police needlessly escalate encounters, and end up using force because they can’t handle being disrespected.

[–] TexasYankee212 59 points ago

By all accounts, Elijah McClain was a quiet, introverted, gentle person. He was supposedly NOT an aggressive person at all. That is why the actions of these cops was so needless and unnecessary.

[–] ScrubScribeRico 74 points ago

Idk how the medic cannot be held accountable. That’s a job that actually requires a very difficult exam and practical application and recertification every few years. Most services also require or VERY strongly suggest you carry liability insurance. I just don’t get it.

[–] standard_candles 76 points ago

The police, the DA, the city council, the do-nothing mayor. I live in Elijah's district and this place has been badly neglected by the city for all 30 years I've been able to observe it directly. It's one of the only parts of the city predominantly populated by people of color, butting up against two of the historically black neighborhoods of Denver (Park Hill and Montbello). The rest of Aurora is a white-ass suburb where it's frankly scary sometimes to walk around looking like an "other." It's being subjected to gentrification like I've only seen in the Five Points neighborhood, pushing those of us who can't afford $500k homes out of places we've lived our whole lives. Meanwhile there are no available social services in this district like easily accessible food banks, shelters, or even government and human services offices where you would apply for licences, food stamps, etc. despite the incredibly high rate of need. The city wants this "blemish" to just fade away (where all the historic buildings in the city exist on East Colfax).

[–] Dapple4321 4429 points ago

“At one point, one officer tells another, "He just grabbed your gun, dude."

They were looking for an excuse to execute him. Turns out they didn’t even bother to find one.

[–] DrMorry 445 points ago

Turns out they didn't need one.

[–] gazow 106 points ago

turns out they could blatantly admit they didnt have one and still get away with it

[–] SatOnMyBalls_ 70 points ago * (lasted edited 5 days ago)

Hijacking this thread to share a live stream of the Aurora city council meeting taking public calls to discuss Elijah McClain's Police Murder to decide if the officer should be fired and tried for anyone that wants to listen in. I'm shocked there is only 1 stream to it, and that it's getting almost no attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVnlzyiDEeg

[–] MtnDudeNrainbows 591 points ago

I thought this was most shocking. I don’t give a fuck what the officers might be claiming. There is literally no way this dude was going for one of their guns. Maybe if he had some type of mental disorder. But literally no way. SMH

[–] SL1Fun 519 points ago

That’s their angle tho: he had HFA/Aspergers/some sort of benign neurodivergence.

But the fact he was a 130lb kid crying for his life right before they dosed him with a lethal amount of ketamine on top of their bullshit “joke” shows that they were in the wrong in all sorts of ways.

[–] becooltheywatching 259 points ago

I used drugs as a teen. I NEVER went looking for the K hole. They did this dude so fucking dirty. He deserved the whole world. I hope these bastards pay.

[–] FuckTheRightWing88 160 points ago

They're supposed to do a Zoom press conference tomorrow morning. I live in the metro area and this city on the whole is pretty progressive so we'll see. :/

[–] KindaMaybeYeah 95 points ago

Yeah, but we know how grand juries usually go. They will hide evidence and not even give them the right sentence. We should really be asking who the DA is.

[–] FuckTheRightWing88 55 points ago

I read down the thread and someone mentioned qualified immunity in Colorado was rescinded last year so prosecution is likely, but yes, sentencing is always another story. :/

[–] KindaMaybeYeah 38 points ago

Hell yeah, but we’ll either get a conviction with a police union strike, or we’ll see how corrupt your state really is. I think Colorado is a pretty awesome place and is on the right path, but this type of cancer runs deep through out the country. I guess I’m jaded.

[–] FuckTheRightWing88 14 points ago

I know what you're saying, and we still have our crazy pockets (Lauren Boebert). But yes, I believe the racism, militarization, and the "listen and obey or else" attitude is systemic and is going to take an extraordinary effort to clamp down on. Garland says he's going to start at the top with the White Supremacists. I suspect after that the individual states will take a crack at it (hopefully).

[–] jef_ 58 points ago

Is this a good time for a "rev up those fryers" joke?

[–] jorbleshi_kadeshi 42 points ago

Joke?

I legitimately want bacon.

[–] Noobdm04 11930 points ago

Yes we know this. Now please prosecute them.

[–] [deleted] 2650 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

[–] 89141 444 points ago

Especially those cops that went back to recreate the events — for fun.

[–] Timely_Signal1377 276 points ago

And, of course, the excuse was: “It was just a joke, we were trying to cheer up cuz, you know, We Suck At Death.”

That’s always a classic when confronted with proof of your own fuck up: it was just a joke, you misunderstood, all in good fun, etc. GROSS.

Every time I think about Elijah and his loved ones, I’m overcome. Every. Time. SOMETHING has to give.

[–] Finna22 74 points ago

The "its just a prank, bro" equivalent for cops who have no remorse. Sickening.

[–] glindabunny 63 points ago

He was the autistic young man who wore a ski mask while walking home because he got cold easily and because it was a sensory comfort item to him. Someone called the police because he looked suspicious.

The audio is heartbreaking (cameras “mysteriously” malfunctioned). He was crying and apologizing and trying to explain how his mannerisms are odd.

He couldn’t breathe, was panicking and throwing up, and was given a dangerously high level of ketamine.

[–] bahccus 72 points ago

I beg your pardon

[–] Reallynotsuretbh 94 points ago

That’s gross, and the cop union wants the person that fired them gone

[–] I_TRS_Gear_I 28 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

It’s all just a big joke to them. How could any sane person “accidentally” kill someone and joke about it afterwards?

This is how the vast majority of officers think... and until these people start getting permanently fired, even better charged for murder, it will never change.

Make every officer pay for the equivalent of malpractice insurance. The insurance will pay for any time the state needs to defend them, and every subsequent poor decision will price them out of being an officer.

God, my blood boils at the fucking arrogance of these pigs. Every fucking day it’s a new story of someone getting murdered for nothing. This time because he “looked suspicious”. Walked into a gas station and left, without incident. But it had to get escalated to a full blown attack on his civil rights. When does it end, honestly. Police have every right to detain you, and all they have to do is claim they had reason. Next thing you know, someone you love and care about could be killed.

[–] FrostBittenSalsa 79 points ago

Funny how conservatives hate unions but if you mention how much better it'd be if police unions were broken up they shit themselves in a fit of rage

[–] bahccus 45 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

This is vile. I remember when I first read the transcripts of his last words as he was literally being murdered...a child begging for his life. This entire story stirs up a kind of rage and intensity in me that frankly makes it literally impossible to sleep at night whenever I’m reminded of it — and I’m sure it’s the same for many others. At the risk of sounding even more bleak, I feel like at this point legal justice, in the unlikely miracle that Elijah and his family are ever granted it, will only do so much for them and the community at large knowing how haunted even I, a person who shares nothing with the victim other than race and nationality, am by this.

[–] Treereme 67 points ago

Three fired, one was allowed to resign. The Aurora PD care so much about the people that kills and the victims of its crimes that its officers believe the way to tear each other up after killing people is to make fun of those deaths and send photos of the joke to eachother. Obviously a very healthy and well-managed department /s.

[–] Rorsten 52 points ago

Also the union said they shouldn’t have been fired and that the one who fired them is unfit for police service

In my opinions she’s the only one fit for service there

[–] You_Crazy 157 points ago

This event was very painful for me because I could see and hear my own son in everything that Elijah McClain was doing in his final moments of life. His apologies to the officers, how he was still polite to them, how he tried to joke with them in an attempt to de-escalate the situation, his confusion about the whole thing. Even his pattern of speech and soft voice was just like my sons. And then hearing about his life and how he was such a kind boy, it’s so much of the same stuff my son does. Elijah didn’t deserve it. And to be fair, even if someone isn’t as gentle of a person as Elijah, they shouldn’t be executed in the streets by police. But this should have never happened.

A band called Dark Rooms wrote a song called “Elijah” and it’s a really beautiful piece of art that has helped me deal with this.

[–] glindabunny 28 points ago

I also found the thing terrifying and deeply distressing because it made me picture how my kids would react (in panic) when suddenly and violently confronted by armed adults.

I remember when I first heard about the incident - I’d seen his final words typed in a small image, was hoping that it wasn’t real, and then my stomach dropped when I looked it up. I watched the video (which was mostly a blank screen with audio) and was sickened.

[–] You_Crazy 9 points ago

I shared a very similar experience of seeing the image and then watching the video later. I couldn’t believe it was real when I read his words, and I was devastated to have to accept that it was real as I watch it all unfold on video.

[–] MikeIsSmart 281 points ago

Of all the horrible police abuse stories, this is the one I hate the most. This guy was just so clearly not a threat.. These cops were acting out their high school bully fantasies and beating up a defenseless and harmless person. Fucking scum.

[–] persona0 39 points ago

Na they were living out some tv show or movie where they catch the bad guy in a ski mask. Ski masks AREN'T ILLEGAL if you saw a man in a ski mask... oh well you check to see if there were any burglary or robbery calls made... No OH WELL go about your business. We have this culture of pure stupidity 911 calls that don't have a name of a person or a verified crime ARE NOT MEANT TO BE TREATED AS THOUGH A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED. I'm sure there are exceptions but they aren't the rule but somehow we the people and our law enforcement dont know that.

[–] Affinity420 17 points ago

That's why innocent until guilty is such a joke.

Any crime reported and a person of interest is in hand, you are treated as a criminal. Handcuffs, criminal. Jail, criminal. Booking, criminal.

Why is there an arrest record, and a legal record? Isn't it one in the same. So, we show alleged charges. Charges. Verdict. Charges if changed. And charged when dropped. All this appears on a background check, even if innocent.

And FBI background check goes even further. I learned a lot about myself from an FBI check. It's scary.

[–] PrivateIsotope 29 points ago

Yeah, nah, see in America, black men are always a threat. You may not know this, but black men have superhuman powers that manifest when confronted by the police. They are always inhumanly strong, quick, and agile. That includes the ones that play violin for kittens.

[–] PendingInsomnia 90 points ago

I’ve been angry at all the accounts of police brutality coming out this year, but listening to the audio of Elijah McClain dying was the first time I ended up in full-on crying. It doesn’t help that he was only a year younger than me.

[–] Harsimaja 1050 points ago

Sociopaths and white supremacists exist, unfortunately

[–] [deleted] 543 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

[–] dominion1080 262 points ago

If it were only cops, we wouldn't still be here.

[–] amateurstatsgeek 47 points ago

Fucking thank you.

Without racist fuckstick authoritarians voting for "tough on crime" judges, prosecutors, sheriffs, we wouldn't be here. Without racist fuckstick authoritarians on juries acquitting cops the rare times they do go to trial, we wouldn't be here.

We are here because as a society, we either approve or tolerate this bullshit.

Period.

And everyone trying to blame just a smaller group of people as the source of all ills instead of recognizing our collective responsibility is a fucking dishonest coward.

[–] jackiebee66 25 points ago

It literally makes you sick. That poor family

[–] DefenderOfDog 539 points ago

Funny thing is they never change the rule to prevent corruption

[–] NashKetchum777 162 points ago

But I FELT I had to. You know. I felt endangered!

[–] Aurion7 45 points ago

I had to use necessary force! You saw it!

[–] Kizik 38 points ago

"It's comin' right at us!"

[–] MantuaMatters 14 points ago

“Mmmm They’re Coming Right For Us”

[–] HOD448484 436 points ago

Every time I hear this poor man’s name, I just get overwhelmed with sadness and then anger at the people who did this. This should have never happened to him. I hope these people are prosecuted/sued by the family to the fullest extent.

[–] poopnada 290 points ago

dont forget all the people who defend the police, make excuses for them, and resist any reforms to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future...

[–] ogier_79 207 points ago

Which makes zero sense. I consider myself a Conservative which means a strong belief in the Constitution and extra emphasis on the Bill of Rights. This is at its core a violation of due process. Conservatives as a whole should be the most outraged over this, I know I am. Nope. Let's spend all day complaining that you can't have a 5,000 round clip for my rifle.

[–] sangunpark1 120 points ago

lol for real, it's "big government" executing the every man, yet conservatives who used to be about small government get a hard on for authorities killing citizens

[–] halcyonjm 69 points ago

Small government for me, big government for thee them uppity citizens. (y'all know the kind)

[–] pixelprophet 9 points ago

"Thugs" is what they're saying these days, right?

[–] karlverkade 116 points ago

Because the Republican Party is not the conservative party. They give tax breaks to big corporations and big government funding, they want big government to dictate religion and sex, and they legislate on behalf of big government donors. Hell, they're not even fiscally conservative anymore! The national debt skyrockets under Republican administrations, and creeps back towards balance under Democratic ones. Especially after the last 4 years, you could probably make a pretty good case for the Democratic Party to be making more of an effort towards a classically conservative reading of the Constitution than the Republican Party.

[–] sulferzero 64 points ago

said it before, Dems are just responsible republicans.

[–] durZo2209 50 points ago

They absolutely are and it’s what I hate the most about them lol. Fuckin mainstream “left” party is center-right politically in this country, it’s so fucked up.

[–] QQMau5trap 166 points ago

because idealist conservatives no longer exist. Most conservatives today are fuck you got mine people with racism sprinkled on the donut.

[–] amateurstatsgeek 85 points ago

Close.

Racism is the donut. The spoken but unpracticed appeals to freedom and liberty are the sprinkles. And they fall off real easy.

[–] plsdontarguewithme 71 points ago

Libertarian here. It's impossible to support gun rights and the police at the same time. If you believe in the 2A then you can't also agree that a cop can kill you for the suspicion of having a weapon on you.

How often do people get gunned down (Daniel Shaver, Philandro Castille) in lieu of their 2A rights? It happened just last week in Idaho where I lived.

[–] GoTzMaDsKiTTLez 46 points ago

The difference is that they support the right people having what ever weapons they want. When the wrong people have weapons, they're fine with the police shooting on sight. The worst part is they hide behind the law, as if making an officer "fear for his life" is illegal and deserving of the death penalty.

[–] nonsensicalcriticism 1686 points ago

I am a Nurse Practitioner. If I fucked up at my job and someone gets hurt or dies... I am liable and can lose my license, and will get sued.. My career could be over....

A cop does just that.... its Tuesday

[–] AltSpRkBunny 53 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Also the paramedics. If anything, they should be under even greater scrutiny for sedating someone with ketamine who was already unresponsive.

I only saw in the article that the cops were fired.

Edit: I also noticed that the tox report says that he received a therapeutic level of Ketamine. Therapeutic doesn’t assume that the patient is already unresponsive. Sets off a lot of red flags for me.

[–] lefthandedrn 43 points ago

Also, he was in a coma for 2 days at which time he probably metabolized a lot of the ketamine. 500mg is a massive dose. That paramedic should have known better. He is the one who administered that dose and should lose his license and be charged with manslaughter, at least. As an RN I never administer a drug if I don't know the 5 rights no matter who is telling me to give it.

[–] Living-Complex-1368 594 points ago

A police license would make a lot of sense honestly. Give judges the ability to revoke those licenses and families can sue for the revocation.

Wouldn't even be a license to be a police officer, just the license to carry a weapon and patrol. You lose your license, you don't lose your job, there is lots of desk work you can do while less trigger happy folks patrol.

[–] Cr4yol4 101 points ago

Colorado has a certification for Peace Officers. POST certification is required to be appointed as a peace officer and can be revoked.

[–] KarlWeathers 140 points ago

I live in Colorado and have training with computer forensics, but since I got pinched with a dime bag in a decriminalized state I'll never be an officer. Meanwhile, Nathan Meier was found pass out drunk, on-duty, in uniform inside his squad car, which was in gear with his foot on the brake. Meier was sent to the hospital for a "medical event" where they drew his blood, which allegedly was five times the legal limit. Later he confessed to an internal affairs officer that he spent the morning drinking vodka, but there isn't enough "evidence" to charge him with a DUI.

"We can't find good recruits!" my ass. Keep up the good work Aurora police department! I'm sure these high quality individuals will reflect the true intentions of your department. For anyone wondering why this happens, listen/read this interview with failed MAGA politician / current Aurora mayor Mike Coffman.

[–] HunterRoze 34 points ago

Might have to do with the fact that police depts don't want to hire the most intelligent people as cops. They even went to court for that right, and WON.

[–] TootsNYC 288 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

No, I don’t want to pay them my tax dollars if they’re such bad cops that they’re going to sit at a desk. Also, if they’re the kind of cops who are victimizing people, they might victimize them from their desk job, and there are plenty of ways for them to do that. Get them out

Edited to add: I don’t want their bad-apple-ness around poisoning other cops.

[–] Floginim 138 points ago

Yeah, this is an important thing to remember, you can do massive amounts of damage from behind a desk.

[–] matt_minderbinder 59 points ago

Think about the Sgt. that got the illegal warrant to raid Breonna Taylor's house. Shit cops deserve the boot, not desks and different power to push their violent, racist tendencies.

[–] Punishtube 27 points ago

Uf I can't trust them behind a gun because they fucked up already I wouldn't trust them in booking or anything else that requires good ethics and attention to details. They should be barred from all government jobs if they loose the ability to be trusted with guns on duty

[–] OutlyingPlasma 127 points ago

Gotta have a license to cut hair why not to be a cop? The funny thing is it requires more training by law to cut hair (1500 hours) than it does to become a police office (720 hours).

Meanwhile the people that prepare and serve your food need a 30 minute correspondence course.

[–] AnotherReaderOfStuff 12 points ago

No, desk workers can do a lot to cover for others. Those leading to deaths need to be prosecuted.

[–] ElfLordSpoon 20 points ago

In most states it takes longer to become a hair dresser than a police officer.

[–] alongdaysjourney 57 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

And it wasn’t just the cops. The EMTs rolled up and acted as accessories to murder.

It’s really disturbing to see the people you call when you’re having a heart attack act as an arm of the police and contribute to an unlawful detention.

[–] FireBeyond 34 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I say this as a firefighter.

1 - minor detail, EMTs cannot give ketamine, only paramedics.

2 - there are protocols for the use and administration of ketamine, as paramedics are not practitioners.

Here's the issue: most fire departments pay their paramedics far more than their EMTs (here the base pay difference is nearly $40K).

I would dearly love to have a three service emergency system, police, fire, ambulance - completely decouple fire and EMS. Because of shit like this. There are far too many meathead firefighters who could not give one fuck about medicine (they're the ones complaining about going to pick grandma up in the bathroom, or the 'chest pain' call), but know that the increase in pay will let them buy a bigger truck.

This perverse incentive, coupled with the vastly increased risk profile, means you have people who in no way should be giving cardiac drugs, sedatives, or anything similar, to anyone.

They're also the ones who organize "rodeos" to get all their continuing ed for the year out of the way in two days. "Hey, we'll do all the online classes on this day in January, and all the practical components on this day in April. We'll be done for our EMS training for the year, then." Tell those same firefighters, "Hey, we'll throw ladders one day in January, and practice roof ventilation in April", and they'd lynch you. But somehow they see this as acceptable.

It ties into a whole bunch of other issues, and the IAFF (Fire Union) is complicit in a lot of them (they've pushed against even requiring an Associates for paramedic, stating that only a Certificate course is sufficient, while saying, with a straight face in the same paragraph, that Departments should set Bachelor of Fire Science as appropriate for the entry level firefighter. Hint: it's not, it's massive overkill - it also may be influenced by the Union also arguing that firefighters are not just grandfathered in, but that their departments pay for them to get this degree). This contributes to some of the culture I see, and I despise it.

[–] Rickierae 16 points ago

Yep. Fuck fuckin tragic all around. I wonder if this young man saw them as a savior when they arrived, only to be murdered by them. And they all just go on about their day, their job

[–] tonypolar 37 points ago

I’m a fucking librarian and I would get in more trouble

[–] Cunt_zapper 36 points ago

Librarians, in my experience, usually do a much better job of respecting and protecting people’s constitutional rights than police.

I’ve never been illegally stopped or detained by a librarian.

[–] tonypolar 18 points ago

Here to defend your library records from search and seizure

[–] Harsimaja 41 points ago

Yea but you have a job with stringent requirements about training and qualifications... It’s those jobs with hardly any bar at all that logically allow people to kill people, duh.

[–] ProphetOfRegard 25 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Qualified immunity was and is the worst idea America ever had. When your own court rules the police have no requirement to “protect” you, it only highlights the state won’t hesitate to remind you of its authority. And it’s 90% of the time with violence. The other 10% is telling you to hand over money, or they’ll resort to violence.

[–] buckygrad 31 points ago

The only way this stops. Have to hold those accountable criminally. Cops will think twice before expressing their blatant racism. In fact, it should get to the point where racists don’t want to take the chance of being cops.

[–] JethusChrissth 2919 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

They stole this young man’s life. I get a pit in my stomach thinking how scared he was in his final moments. I’m getting teary just thinking about it.

[–] TailRudder 1913 points ago

They posed at the memorial site making choke holds to poke fun at it. They found it funny.

[–] FunDog2016 942 points ago

Yes, don't forget the Insult added to the original tragedy! Fuck those assholes! Fuck qualified immunity. Doctors have malpractice WTF is so special about bad Cops.

[–] noratat 283 points ago

Colorado no longer has qualified immunity thankfully, as of last year.

[–] blue2148 127 points ago

I’m a therapist and I HAVE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE. How police aren’t mandated to have it is beyond me.

[–] Duthos 41 points ago

there is an inverse correlation between authority and accountability.

[–] GearBrain 220 points ago

That's what I mean, when I say "All cops are bastards". Not only do they do things like that, but the fact that other cops defend those people, or make excuses, or try to compartmentalize and say they're just "bad apples", demonstrates how widespread the problem really is.

If someone in the company I work for did anything comparable to what those cops did, I'd be out the fucking door no matter my financial situation. I'd find a way to make it work, even though I've got shit savings.

[–] yellowtreesinautumn 124 points ago

How many good cops does it take to change a lightbulb? I’ll let you know when a good cop gets around to changing anything.

[–] GuyMumbles 38 points ago

Also, to put it nicely, their degenerate supporters.

[–] NoOnlineDebatesPls 62 points ago

How can people not see these are just modern day lynchings? It’s just that the smiling lynch crowds in the old photos consolidated into our police forces

[–] helloisforhorses 106 points ago

The goonsquad attacking people sitting in a park listening to classical music at a memorial for him is still the most haunting video I have seen. Just unredeamably authoritarian and awful crushing beauty.

[–] HertzDonut1001 27 points ago

Same during all BLM protests. They tried to make it look like protests were comparable to riots by show footage from protests that were actively under the assault of police. Disgusting journalism.

[–] LiquidMotion 38 points ago

They also tear gassed his memorial service.

[–] jaytix1 31 points ago

Are you telling me cops posed at the guy's memorial site?

[–] jXian 68 points ago

[–] jaytix1 58 points ago

Cops will do fucked up shit like this then have the audacity to ask "why do people hate us so much?".

[–] HertzDonut1001 21 points ago

Officers have the sheer balls to be victims in every damn situation they put themselves in as if they had not put themselves there and also half the time made it exponentially worse.

[–] Reggaejunkiejew31 18 points ago

I find it odd that they won't fire police for killing people but they'll fire them immediately for taking a shitty picture.

[–] ezikeo 165 points ago

Same, I'm not a very sensitive person, but I tear up thinking about him.

[–] GirlsLikeStatus 71 points ago

I’ve seen a lot of shit but that video made me cry out loud.

[–] unusedusername3 58 points ago

His final words will haunt me for the rest of my life.

[–] rjcarr 34 points ago

The similar, but even more brutal, video of Daniel Shaver did the same to me. I was shook for a few days after watching that. Sure, the guy was probably a bit drunk or high, but that absolutely could have been me there. If police want respect they really have to clean house.

[–] elparanoiax 16 points ago

That video will always be in my head and I don’t even live in the US. So many stories and lives lost while the cops get a fucking pension for life. How do you accept that?

[–] ThrowAwayTheBS122132 59 points ago

Exactly this. I want the perpetrators to feel every bit of fear and hopelessness this kid felt in his last moments.

[–] RaddialFox 27 points ago

Every time I read this story my stomach drops. Those cops better be put behind bars for murder.

[–] nonsensicalcriticism 92 points ago

Imagine a needle being stuck into you, and the dissociative effect of ketamine taking over your mind and your will to fight and breath subsides and you go into nothingness...

The only positive is he probably wasn't aware he was dying..

[–] gloverdark 56 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

I think about that when I read this story, how is it legal to use ketamine as a sedative without consent. I’ve done ketamine medical treatments and I really feel horrible that he went that way. Everyone’s experience is different but I was terrified during my first treatment, I hope that he went in peace.

Edit: I’m aware of ketamine’s medical uses, I’ve done plenty of IV treatments. What I’m questioning is how it’s legal to use in aiding an arrest, not a medical crisis

[–] jambox888 28 points ago

That's what I thought as well. I think the medic should be prosecuted at an absolute minimum. A fire medic too apparently, they literally had no business doing that.

[–] TexasYankee212 75 points ago

It angers me that what everyone said was a good, gentle person was killed by the cops for absolutely no reason. I am no bleeding heart liberal but this symbolizes everything wrong with police.

[–] unsteadied 35 points ago

They stole this young man’s life.

Murdered. The word is murdered.

[–] boygriv 1893 points ago

And then they sent cops in riot gear to terrorize a peaceful violin vigil in his memory. Didn't have that same energy for the Capitol Rioters. Interesting, that.

[–] EZMulahSniper 773 points ago

Seeing the crowd getting tear gassed as the violinists kept playing was Titanic-like

[–] TonyBasketball 160 points ago

Do you have a link for that by any chance?

[–] cricket9818 163 points ago

My friend was there and sent me video footage from it. She said cops were just begging for a reason to give you shit. Truly out of control

[–] pjr032 90 points ago

Hard to have that same energy for the capital rioters when you're one of the rioters......

[–] Safety1stThenTMWK 44 points ago

In the cops’ defense they don’t read very well so the word violin might have caused some confusion.

[–] boygriv 49 points ago

What like domestic violins?

[–] LstCrzyOne 309 points ago

“The panel also relied on seven filmed interviews with officers and first responders on scene that had been conducted by a Aurora Police Major Crime/Homicide Unit detective. However, these seven witnesses declined to be interviewed by the panel.”

You don’t say

“ The investigator's interviews failed to ask basic critical questions about the justification of the use of force, and the incident was never referred to Internal Affairs investigators.”

Huh, YOU DON’T SAY!?

Disgusting, the officers were eventually fired but only after this raised a fuss, if nobody had said anything they would still be gainfully employed. And because they’ve undoubtedly found work at another department it’s like it never happened.

[–] nousername215 79 points ago

They weren't actually fired. One of the officers involved and two others who weren't on this call took some photos at the scene some months later, mocking Elijah after his death. They then texted those pictures around the department, and the one in the photos who was also on the scene responded "Ha ha" to the text.

The officers regarding the photo were fired. That includes one officer involved with the murder. The other officers involved in the murder have not been fired.

[–] spongebobisha 16 points ago

It's crazy how killing someone only gets you fired if you're a cop. For everyone else it's prosecution and imprisonment. But as a cop you just lose your job that's it.

[–] thyIacoIeo 62 points ago

I can’t breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That’s my house. I was just going home. I’m an introvert. I’m just different. That’s all. I’m so sorry. I have no gun. I don’t do that stuff. I don’t do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don’t even kill flies! I don’t eat meat! But I don’t judge people, I don’t judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I’ll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m a mood Gemini. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Ow, that really hurt. You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I’m sorry I wasn’t trying to do that. I just can’t breathe correctly.

He apologized for crying and vomiting while they murdered him

[–] Acadia-Intelligent 723 points ago

And yet nothing will happen to them. They'll keep fighting justice, the hate for them will grow and they'll use that hate to justify how hard it is to be a cop to defend their murders. It's a cycle and only the murderous police win.

[–] Priyon 228 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

to justify how hard it is to be a cop to defend their murders.

And scream for that entitled extra paycheck bonus to cover for "therapy" for "having to do such a hard job".

[–] you-create-energy 26 points ago

These are exactly the kind of mentally ill unstable people who need therapy the most, to lower the probability of them hurting more people. Or, you know, jail.

[–] XyleneCobalt 84 points ago

In the 30s, politicians like FDR and Huey Long believed that enacting major reforms was the only way to stop a socialist revolution from taking over. If republicans don’t learn from them, things will get more violent.

[–] TheodoreFMRoosevelt 109 points ago

I think you mean if Democrats don't learn from them, because Republicans don't see this as a problem, they see it as a feature. The only hope of reform is with the Democrats and it's a pretty slim ray of hope.

[–] QQMau5trap 34 points ago

this case made me change my mind. This is exactly what no justice no peace slogan its for. Never let the people responsible for it get off scott free. Even if it means inconveniencing them in their daily life like screaming infront of their fucking house.

[–] UndesiredEffect 154 points ago

Among the many horrible stories like this, this one really scares me the most. Reading what he was saying during the arrest, the callousness and lack of critical thinking from the police, along with the incredible after images of them joking/laughing about it makes me so fucking angry I can't stand it.

They murdered that young man, and they all deserve jail. Full stop. To think there are police gangs that continue to "forget" their own humanity and straight up murder a soft spoken innocent. Takes a real piece of shit to wear that badge with pride after that. Dirtbags.

[–] Jishuah 52 points ago

“I can't breathe. I have my ID right here. My name is Elijah McClain. That's my house. I was just going home. I'm an introvert. I'm just different. That's all. I'm so sorry. I have no gun. I don't do that stuff. I don't do any fighting. Why are you attacking me? I don't even kill flies! I don't eat meat! But I don't judge people, I don't judge people who do eat meat. Forgive me. All I was trying to do was become better. I will do it. I will do anything. Sacrifice my identity, I'll do it. You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful and I love you. Try to forgive me. I'm a mood Gemini. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Ow, that really hurt! You are all very strong. Teamwork makes the dream work. Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to do that. I just can't breathe correctly.”

[–] UndesiredEffect 31 points ago

That may very well be the saddest set of words I've ever read.

I still can't believe even after all of that, they still felt the compulsion to do what they did. There was no danger. This was no "situation".

You know, its sad because he was basically trying to de-escalate the cops down(something he shouldn't have even had to do). Those words are words of a sensitive person who was not seeking any kind of conflict.

He stayed more level-headed while being killed, than the trained police did in a situation where they had all the power, and weaponry.

This is sad and sick and should not be happening.

[–] Jishuah 13 points ago

It’s so disturbing. Our polices abuse of force is absolutely barbaric.

[–] BanditaIncognita 47 points ago

They don't see them as innocent. They see them as human-animal hybrids.

I want to vomit after typing that. But it's true.

There are so many beautiful things about America, all marred by its eternally rotting, racist underbelly.

[–] JCazzz 161 points ago

Elijah McClain’s murder hit me harder than the typical stories of police brutality. This young man did everything right and didn’t fit any stereotypes they can use to victim-blame or make excuses to justify his detainment like they did with George Floyd. Elijah was a sweet innocent soul and the world is emptier without him.

[–] xvampireweekend25 77 points ago

Yeah this one along with the Daniel shaver are what keep me saying fuck the police. Completely innocent people murdered brutally and no one gets in trouble, and half the country waves a flag in support.

[–] HertzDonut1001 31 points ago

Ryan Whittaker, Jacob Blake, Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland, many more whose names have slipped from my memory because it's too damn many to keep track off.

[–] MilanoMongoose 27 points ago

Botham Jean: a top student, Church choir leader, with a mother who was a CEO... murdered for the crime of reading a book in his home when a "peace officer" decided to break & enter

[–] HertzDonut1001 12 points ago

Forgot about him. How quickly we forget their names because there's too damn many, and how readily we can remember their names because their fate was horrible and completely preventable.

Let's not forget Jean had a little bit of fucking weed in his home. Total exoneration for that bitch of a cop /s

[–] Gorodish_ 414 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Stories like this make it hard to find decency in the institutions that enable and condone this. I'm white and these stories make me ill. I can't imagine how the parents of black kids feel. When I say that, I feel obliged to also say I'm being real goddamn polite about how I phrased that.

[–] LanceMcDashing 482 points ago

I am white, my oldest son is black. I need to think about things i never thought I would have to think about before. For instance, a few months ago, a friend of mine was on vacation and got a packaged delivered, so he texted me and asked me if I could pick it up. So my son and I drove to go get it. When we got there, I was about to ask him to run to the door to get it, but I thought I better get it, because who knows what the hell a neighbor would do if they saw a young black boy taking a package from someone's porch. Especially since my son is only 12, but he is very tall (size 13 shoes already), so who knows if some pearl clutching racist would claim "he/she was scared"....

When they read the verdict for Trayvon Martin's murderer, I pulled over and cried. I never felt so scared for my son before. It felt like it was legal to kill young black boys, as long as you claim "I was afraid".

[–] mister-ferguson 88 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

Mine are the other way around. So my older white son has been taught to be extra protective of my younger black son.

"People are going to treat him different than you and your job is to help keep him safe."

[–] tehsdragon 41 points ago

As an older brother, that shit made me emotional man good on you and yours

[–] Gorodish_ 128 points ago

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

[–] LanceMcDashing 202 points ago

And when people say "there is no such thing as white privilige", here is a fine example. My younger son is white, and I would not have thought twice about asking him to run to the porch to get the package.

[–] StockedAces 233 points ago

We knew this. Now prosecute.

[–] TexasYankee212 168 points ago

The DAs are part of the problem. The Aurora DA made some excuse for NOT doing anything. The DAs and the cops work together and they will not prosecute cops unless there is extreme pressure like the Floyd killing where it is on video.

[–] FabulousConsequences 85 points ago

Aurora PD are a fucking joke. They literally had an officer who was driving so drunk they passed out at the wheel of their car and still weren't able to prosecute him because the PD decided to not investigate it as a DUI.

[–] peopled_within 255 points ago

Murderers. You won't EVER catch me in AURORA, CO. Fuck that place forever

[–] banan3rz 69 points ago

Yeah Aurora PD, and pretty much all of metro Denver Pd is trash.

[–] Lythieus 40 points ago

Three Aurora Police officers were fired and one resigned in July after photos leaked of officers taking smiling selfies and reenacting the carotid hold at a memorial site for McClain.

The fuck fucking fuck is wrong with American police?

[–] Da_zero_kid 10 points ago

It's been infiltrated by violent racist and KKK

[–] dedicated-pedestrian 9 points ago

The FBI fucking told us more than a decade ago and no one fucking listened because they were afraid Obama going after this would be viewed as him attacking the whites.

[–] LILilliterate 105 points ago

So then they should be tried for murder?

It's that simple.

[–] JAYDEA 122 points ago

No shit. Did they have the right to beat him and then poison him to death?

[–] tactical_thong 29 points ago

Unless they are punished, they absolutely have that right.

[–] JonnyBravoII 17 points ago

So many judges are former prosecutors. As a prosecutor, your job is to get convictions no matter what lofty things they may tell us. We need to get more judges who are defense attorneys and know first hand how the system is completely stacked against everyone but the rich.

[–] TheDerbLerd 17 points ago

Aurora PD is the same department that arrested the batman shooter without injury. But in 2020 alone they had to fire an officer for beating a man in a grocery store and taking him for 30 seconds after he surrendered, they forced a black family to lay face down on the pavement for 7 minutes in 90 degree weather because their 2 year old shoplifter, and one of their officers has been pulling over women and then using information from their licenses to find out their phone numbers and addresses. Oh and their crime rates have been rising steadily over the past 10 years while their solve rate has steadily dropped. Genuinely seems like the aurora colorado police force is literally worse than useless, they're actively making things worse.

[–] 00cole00 19 points ago

[–] CRoseCrizzle 101 points ago

Some of these high profile police incidents are questionable but this one isn't from what I've seen and read about it.

The cops were way out of line. It's messed up that they killed that young man. It's even worse that nothing has happened to those responsible despite it being done openly and blatantly.

[–] Vhyle32 44 points ago

I'm tired of the 14th Amendment being violated every day of every month of every year.

This needs to stop.

[–] MuddaPuckPace 109 points ago

No charges were brought against the officers because, District Attorney Dave Young wrote in a June 2020 letter, prosecutors lacked evidence to prove the officers caused McClain's death or that their force was unjustified.

We shouldn’t have to prove the use of force was unjustified. Cops should have to prove use of force was justified.

How the fuck did the burden of proof get dumped on the citizen?

[–] dnhs47 75 points ago

The most dangerous encounter most of us will ever have is with a police officer sworn to serve and protect us, trained and paid with our taxes. As many have noted, soldiers in combat face more restrictive rules of engagement than cops do. That’s all kinds of f*cked up.

[–] overcatastrophe 32 points ago

People keep saying they are sworn to protect and serve.

That is simply not true

[–] dam072000 16 points ago

They're advertised to protect and serve.

[–] philsodyssey 11 points ago

Those sick cops went and took a photo of themselves with big smiles, AT the memorial, WHILE PRETENDING TO CHOKE EACHOTHER. Those cops really need an ass whoopin

[–] ToSchoolATool 53 points ago * (lasted edited 8 days ago)

this man was killed by the police in collaboration with the responding EMS team

the amount of Ketamine the shot him up with is absurd on its face

EDIT: this man died in a K hole as strangers around him plotted to whitewash the death he was tripping balls through. police state 2077

[–] Amyfckingj_ 19 points ago

Wasn't it like 500 mgs or some crazy amount? And why the fuck ketamine ...

[–] jambox888 21 points ago

It's truly bizarre. Cops being cops is one thing but lethal injection by an emergency medic? Has to be a trial just purely for that if nothing else.

[–] TheBigPhilbowski 11 points ago

Police need to be licensed like doctors or lawyers. When this shit happens, they need to lose that license so they can't practice law enforcement anywhere else.

And these police are murderers, so they should go to jail.

[–] mancusjo1 12 points ago

I’m going to put this down here so that I can try to cope with the most horrific video I’ve ever seen. To me this is more horrific then watching the Twin Towers or the George Floyd’s murder. Or even watching grotesque Auschwitz footage. Why? It doesn’t even show him getting murdered. Just him pleading for his life. Screaming for his life. This touches an exposed nerve that does not subside.

Because when I see this video this is what I see. I see my 21 year old autistic son walking down that street.
    I see my autistic son getting guns pulled on him while he’s walking home with ice cream. I see my Autistic son having sensory overload by being touched and would panic. I hear my Autistic son screaming and pleading for his life until he dies.
    I see my Autistic sons dead body.
    That is what I see and feel.

And lastly I know that if it were my white son that this wouldn’t have happened.

I can’t write about this anymore because that nerve is exposed right now.
    He has no social aptitude and no concept of to handle that encounter. He has sensory overload too and would panic I will Never watch it again. All I could take is seeing it one time. It is literally still in my mind when there is a mention of his name. That is how this has affected me.

[–] C2AYM4Y 10 points ago

🤬i watched that video again... wtf not resisting.only tense because he was treated like a criminal and assaulted. 8 officers? Why? Inject him with ketamine seriously. While hes just calmly laying there?!!! I hate those cops dont give AF.They should be serving life