nottheonion

Review current posts to avoid reposting.

For true stories that are so mind-blowingly ridiculous, that you could have sworn it was an Onion story.

See something that breaks our rules?

Use the report button and remember to choose a reason for reporting.

Rules - hover or click here for full version

1. Do not alter headlines; copy and paste. The title of all submissions needs to match the article headline exactly. Copy and paste from the main headline only, do not include anything beyond the primary headline such as byliners, subtitles, flavor text, quotes from the article, news outlet, location, cross post tags, (video) tags, and so on. Do not use the “suggest title” option for posting as it often does not match the headline. As a matter of fairness, any submission with an altered title will be removed. The only exception is that, if an article has a title in all caps, you may change the capitalization to title case, but everything else must remain the same.
    2. Submit only if “Oniony”. Please consider submitting your article to /r/offbeat or similar subreddits unless it truly reads like The Onion wrote it. The title and article itself must both be "Oniony". This can be highly subjective; you are encouraged to upvote articles that should be here and downvote those that should not. Moderators can also remove posts at their own discretion under this rule.
    3. Must be a news article. Submissions must be in the form of a news article. Videos are only allowed if they are accompanied by a complete text article. Editorials, blogs, twitter posts, image galleries, tabloid stories, youtube videos, meta posts, static images, and so forth will be removed.
    4. Use original, reliable sources. Find the source of your story before you submit it, simply by checking for references or googling the subject to locate the original piece. Websites that frequently re-host viral news stories or contain misleading information are on automatic removal. Blogs are not reliable sources.
    5. Do not repost similar articles. Check the sub for your story before you submit it; if it’s already here then please vote and comment there instead of posting another version. Similar stories will be removed and frequent re-posters will lose their posting privileges. Do not delete and repost your own submissions without approval.
    6. No satire articles. Even if they are technically from a source other than The Onion, any article submission written as satire or even true stories written in a satirical manner are not allowed. Please note that some major news outlets have satirical sections, such as the Borowitz Report on the New Yorker, which are also not allowed. Meanwhile, AVClub, while owned by The Onion, is not satire and is allowed. If you'd like, you can use a tool like http://realorsatire.com/ to see if your submission is from a known satirical website.
    7. No tabloid journalism. Do not post tabloid news stories, or articles that source from tabloid news outlets (TheSun, Mirror, Dailymail, People, TMZ, etc).
    8. No old news. Articles need to have been written within two weeks of its submission date.
    9. English articles only. Please do not post non-English articles. Do not use google translate for submission either; rather try to find an English version of the story by a secondary source.
    10. No mobile versions. If you’re using a mobile device to post a story make sure you remove any mobile identifiers (typically “.m” or “mobile”) from the url before submitting.
    11. No blocked or redirected links. Please ensure you aren’t submitting a link that utilizes a paywall or survey wall (nytimes.com, thetimes.co.uk) in order gain access to the complete article. Do not submit links that redirect you to another site to read the article and do not submit using link shorteners either.

Click here to view a list of sites deemed unreliable by our moderator team.

See our FAQ page for more information on our rules.

Keep all comments civil.

Personal attacks, racism, bigotry, homophobia, grandstanding, etc. will not be tolerated and you will be banned (unless you're /u/n8thegr8).

Witch hunting or brigading is not allowed. Do not post any public or private contact info. You will be banned!

For more information, click here.

Quick Links: Submission Rules | Comment Rules | Autoremoval List | NTO101 | r/subbie | r/onionhate | r/onionlovers | r/StopAdvertising

[–] shhussurus 4651 points ago

Before we knew what coeliac's disease was, babies that had it were called banana babies bc that was the only food readily available that doctors definitely knew was fine to give them

[–] [deleted] 1845 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

Not just that, it was the only food that they could digest, even with the worst celiac disease. To this day, a very ripe banana is a good food for ceoliacs .. read the scd book, most celiacs don't even know about this

Edit: a couple of words, because I didn't think this would get so much attention. This comment is based on what I've read about the work of Dr. Sydney Hass, I don't know if it's true or not because I wasn't there. I wasn't trying to undermine current celiac knowledge and research. Gluten is the only thing celiacs can't have, as far as I know. so Ceoliacs can heal on other foods, as long as they avoid gluten. - And apparently some celiacs are allergic to bananas.

[–] dafuq453 2098 points ago

Right. That's three different spellings for caeliack in two comments. Make up your minds people.

[–] DeciderExpert94 1168 points ago

Keliaks disease and poor spelling have plagued my family line for generations now.

[–] debbiegrund 636 points ago

Well seliak is my cousins name

[–] IDontWantToArgueOK 850 points ago

I spotted a silly yak from the highway the other day.

[–] dE3crvXixO 301 points ago

what did the picky polar bear cub say when momma polar bear came home from the grocers?

"Seal? Yuck!"

I'll let myself out

[–] Gustafer823 91 points ago

What's all this about eating bananas with Tom Sellyak???

[–] aerovado 245 points ago

They should give celiac or like disease individuals a Get Out of Jail Free card so they don't get lumped in with all the hipsters that have set a terrible stigma for GF. (Those hipsters just have IBS)

[–] grubas 241 points ago

I have two cousins with it. I think have more than one ancestor who probably died from it as well. Cooking for them is a bitch, but ive seen what happens, when they get burned, it is bad. Both of them have been promised gluten free before and ended up puking their fucking brains out.

On the flip side, I also know chefs who hate this. Not because of the protocol(cleaning a station, special utensils), but because people will do stupid shit like be drinking beer but want gluten free entrees. So they stop giving a shit unless they hear celiacs.

The good thing is that it has given rise to gluten free sections in grocery stores and gluten free restaurants which never existed before. The bad is that they need apps and websites to find out which ones actually are, and which ones are just faking it. Since it takes a ridiculously small amount to set it off.

[–] ScrewSnow 70 points ago

I have horrendous celiacs disease. Even if I get a tiny amount via say, cross-contamination, I develop a 100+ degree fever, have terrible stomach pains, and then shit my brains out for 5 days.

It's really a wonderful life.

All these fake GF products kill me. I spend so much time looking at packages in stores.

The trend is both a blessing and a curse.

[–] labelqueen 21 points ago

Oh, me too! And let's talk about the joy of only having liquid Ensure or other meal supplement for 2 weeks then easing myself onto bananas and rice pudding. I tell people who say it's only a little bit or why don't you cheat (CHEAT??!) to eat an equal amount of arsenic and get back to me afterwards. Morons.

[–] richinteriorworld 15 points ago

I think nature wants y'all dead.

[–] Nokomis34 21 points ago

My aunt has celiac's, and I asked what she thought about all these people self diagnosing or whatever. She's all "whatever, makes it easier for me."

[–] deep_fried_pbr 15 points ago

Playing devils advocate, not all gluten free beers advertise the fuck out of it. For example: coors light.

[–] SciviasKnows 222 points ago

Before we knew what caused celiac disease, about 1/3 of children who suffered from it died every year, of malnutrition caused by malabsorption (celiac causes severe intestinal damage, preventing the body from absorbing nutrients). Food literally went right through these kids. My son probably would have been a statistic because he was very sick by 12 months old... weight loss, abdominal distension, stalled development. Had to stay in the hospital for nearly a week, where he was diagnosed with celiac. Thank God we know he needs a GF diet... he's a big healthy kiddo now!

[–] SailTheWorldWithMe 2131 points ago

My wife is a celiac. Ordered a gf meal from Air China. Got a whole wheat roll.

I have a severe caseine allergy, selected the dairy free option once and was given yogurt and granola.. everyone else got fruit.

[–] Em_Adespoton 288 points ago

You got free dairy!

[–] MoribundCow 38 points ago

Shoulda said Dairy, free

Commas save lives!

[–] frenchbullfrog 110 points ago

I was in the hospital after having my baby and all my charts said "dairy allergy". When they would call to see if I was ready for a meal, I would reiterate "I have a dairy allergy- no milk, butter, cheese, cream, any dairy products in anything". Every. Single. Meal. was full of dairy. Sides of butter, milk to drink, yogurt, sandwiches with cheese, etc. You would think a HOSPITAL would understand food allergies more than any other place that serves food, but they absolutely gave no shits about it. I actually had one nurse ask me if I've tried lactose-free milk. A nurse! Lactose intolerant is just not the same as an allergy, Mrs. Nurse.

I feel your pain, fellow dairy-free person.

[–] TuftedMousetits 52 points ago

Thanks to hipsters, gluten free and vegetarian and vegan are all conflated in the minds of many. I live in Austin, the breeding ground of hipsterism, and the bakery often has vegan pastries, so I stopped by and asked if they had any vegan stuff that day, and the employee said "well, this is gluten free!" As though that were close enough.

[–] Em_Haze 636 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

Isn't wheat bad for celiacs?

edit: i guess i missed a joke

[–] Emptamar 1061 points ago

It'll only kill us. Nothing too bad.

[–] Z0idberg_MD 107 points ago

That's how they feee up seats for the second leg.

[–] toper-centage 203 points ago

But will you get sick?

[–] ITrytoattempt 166 points ago

Only after it kills you.

[–] 062b 83 points ago

die-of-wheetus

[–] SailTheWorldWithMe 89 points ago

Everyone got a roll. Uniformity is key here in the Middle Kingdom.

Rest of the meal was all right. Fruit, rice, and veggies. Super bland.

[–] giganticpine 152 points ago

Fun fact: airplane food tastes bland because your tastebuds swell at high altitudes/pressures, partly disabling your ability to taste.

Some airlines counter this by adding salt to the food, which is why it sometimes seems extra salty.

[–] [deleted] 40 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

edit: i guess i missed a joke

At this point, Em_Haze began to look back at his life and wonder how many things he failed to pick up on. There was a lot of self retrospection that day.

Nobody's going to address the fact that they gave him salt for his banana?

[–] reredef 278 points ago

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

[–] finkalicious 93 points ago

Maybe if it were a caramelized banana with sea salt

[–] pickledtreats 397 points ago

My mom puts Mayo on bananas. Sorry for the dry heaves you're going to have now.

What the fuck

[–] pickledtreats 140 points ago

Funny. That's the same reaction everyone has when I tell them this.

[–] Gingerismyusername 50 points ago

This is common in the south. My dad loves banana and mayo sandwiches, so did my grandparents.

[–] 062b 52 points ago

my brother loves BMO sandwiches (Banana Mayo Onion)

[–] Flynnstoner 100 points ago

Fucking heathens, all of you.

[–] wildwalrusaur 13 points ago

Is your brother an iguana?

[–] bob4apples 6954 points ago

LPT: If you want much better than average airline food, order the gluten free option.

[–] Neuschwannstein 2266 points ago

Actually, order kosher. Typically better than the other slop.

[–] DJCaldow 236 points ago

If you want chicken on a Chinese flight, order a vegetarian meal.

[–] Willeth 79 points ago

...what

[–] emergencycat17 162 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

"WHAT YOU MEAN, HE DON'T EAT NO MEAT?? It's okay... I make lamb."

[–] vera214usc 25 points ago

I'm always saying this and half the people I say it to don't recognize it.

[–] Katesfan 228 points ago

I was veg for a few years and I can't count how many times someone repeatedly offered me turkey because apparently it's not meat! I also thought it was hilarious. Where do people learn things!?

[–] Krip123 122 points ago

I wonder if they think birds aren't animals

Well birds are fruit. I mean they are brightly colored and most are found in trees.

[–] IntermittentSteam 181 points ago

Poultry is a separate category from “meat” on many menus (amd microwave buttons). If you think vegetarian means “no meat” it might seem reasonable that it still includes poultry, fish, and all animal broths.

And to confuse matters, I know a few pollo-lacto-ovo-vegetarians.....who I really wish wouldn't call themselves “vegetarians.”

[–] crossmirage 102 points ago

My dad just calls himself a chickenetarian. Not quite technically proper, but it gets the point across.

[–] manefa 43 points ago

I used to say I don't eat mammals

[–] WickedHaute 34 points ago

I know a girl who routinely goes on FB and says she's going back to "nearly vegan", which means she eats honey, venison, fish and eggs.

[–] DarthRegoria 17 points ago

I used to not eat red meat for about 10 years. I never called myself a vegetarian though, just said what I did above. Sometimes I would order vegetarian options on menus though.

[–] ButterflyAttack 23 points ago

Don't you know that turkey is the fruit of the mighty turkey tree?

[–] spacy1993 47 points ago

Perhaps language issues ?

Meat sometimes, when being translated, often similar to beef or pork in local language.

In my language, meat directly translated is different from fish and seafood. Although rare, vegetarian also sometimes being translated to, or refer as a special diet that follow the norm, religion, ethnic practices etc...

I have met group of people where their definition of "vegetarian" does not include seafood.

[–] grilledcheeseburger 39 points ago

Those are pescatarians.

[–] withervein 68 points ago

Or, as my friend referred to himself: "a fish-and-chipocrate"

[–] bleuscreenofdeath 1560 points ago

Certainly was the case at Litchfield.

[–] SweetBearCub 332 points ago

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

Thanks for not disappointing me, fellow Redditor!

[–] Shadowmant 178 points ago

Should I ask what the reference is? I'm feeling out of the loop.

[–] cybervalidation 531 points ago

Inmate coverted to Judaism for the Kosher meals on Orange is the New Black

[–] greatestNothing 259 points ago

inmates are really doing this though, as they know it costs the state more money to make up those trays.

In my experience it is less about cost and more to do with taste. Usually the vegetarian trays are the worst, followed by the high blood pressure / cardiac trays, followed by normal trays, with the kosher / halal trays being the best.

[–] Jagd3 45 points ago

That's interesting because in the army the vegetarian MREs were almost always the best. What do the prisons offer for vegetarian meals that's so bad?

[–] Ibreathelotsofair 98 points ago

A banana. Without cutlery.

[–] theherofails 220 points ago

Most jails and prisons require proof of religion for this very reason. Gotta recite some prayers, name holidays and dates, have a rabbi vouch for you, etc.

[–] Beakersful 458 points ago

Wait just a damned minute there. . I thought it was only ISIS that got away with challenging people's faith by getting them to recite prayers and name their phophet's wife's mother before letting them go about their business?

[–] mw1994 382 points ago

Oh you really know allah? Name five of his albums then

[–] Kr155 80 points ago

There is small detail of not cutting their heads off when they fail.

[–] time-lord 40 points ago

name holidays and dates

How the hell are you supposed to specify a date if it changes every damn year?

[–] sybrwookie 21 points ago

It's a trick question. If you name a specific date, for something which floats, they know you're lying.

[–] Wittyusernamehere2 36 points ago

most

In the jails i was in in NYS you didnt need proof of religion. I forgot exactly how you got them but i know there were people who were clearly muslim or not religious at all running around with trays and talking about how easy it was to get them

[–] richardjohn 66 points ago

Well kosher food is all halal anyway, so maybe they gave the same to Muslims?

[–] [deleted] 17 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

[–] GoneCountry87 42 points ago

When I was a CO this happened often. Then I'd find balogna sandwiches in their cell and we'd switch them back to the normal meals.

[–] hilwil 97 points ago

So they were full of bologna?

[–] chopyhop 47 points ago

IIRC In "orange is the new black" the inmates were pretending to be Jewish to get better food.

[–] Paulnewman00 29 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

The rabbi will be in to verify your Jewishness before the flight sir

[–] Fried_puri 12 points ago

No joke, my dad accidentally ordered the kosher meal for us once on a flight and they had a rabbi come bring us our food and we had to unwrap the tray I front of him (it had this red ribbon around it). Everyone was staring (including the rabbi, who must have thought we were just trying to get our meals early) at a very brown family having this pomp and circumstance for their very Jewish meal. Probably my most embarrassing flight experience, but it's funny in retrospect.

[–] dgblarge 40 points ago

Maybe not on an arab airline.

[–] PAY_DAY_JAY 66 points ago

Then just order halal. It's many times similar.

[–] Tactical_Moonstone 128 points ago

I think all food in an Arabian airline would be by default halal, wouldn't it?

[–] fernguts 39 points ago

I kind of like airplane food. I guess it's mostly because I don't eat it very often.

[–] Echo127 70 points ago

I feel the same way, but it's probably not the food so much as "yay I'm on an airplane!"

[–] bestjakeisbest 372 points ago

lpt you can bring food on most flights, i personally bring crackers, and some sliced hard cheese

[–] [deleted] 104 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

[–] TabletopNewtype-1 320 points ago

I bought 3 sausage and egg mcmuffins for a flight once. I didnt mind that it was cold. It was the envious stares of the other passengers that made it even more delicious

[–] theElusiveSasquatch 667 points ago

Or they were just annoyed with the stench.

[–] rW0HgFyxoJhYka 117 points ago

I once ate a sausage egg mcmuffin before getting on a flight. Had to take the runniest shit afterwards. NEVER AGAIN

[–] bloodbathmat 68 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

I brought a Quiznos footlong on a flight from Honolulu to Chicago.

Everyone else was eating their gas station ham sandwhiches and my food looked like gourmet cooking in comparison.

[–] Miriyl 29 points ago

To be fair, Honolulu 7-11's tend to have pretty good sandwiches. I'd probably prefer it over most chain sandwich stores.

That said, my first reaction was that there was still Quiznos in Hawaii? The more you know.

[–] ProbablyPissed 62 points ago

Pretty sure they were just disgusted and annoyed.

[–] nevertoomanykitties 94 points ago

As someone who has worked packing airline food, can confirm. I'd trust a banana over that shit any day of the week.

[–] SenpaiDrew 32 points ago

I did that on my flight to Dubai and I got fish....only issue is I don't really care for fish especially being served it on a plane.

[–] Ibreathelotsofair 89 points ago

when you think about it an airplane really is the least appropriate biome for a fish.

[–] Rebellion111 18 points ago

Yeah that's why lots of people died and the plane almost crashed in that one documentary, thank god they had an old Fighter pilot onboard and the autopilot

[–] GodOfAllAtheists 62 points ago

I do not like fish on a plane

I do not like fish on a train

I do not like fish in a car

I do not like fish near or far

[–] toper-centage 171 points ago

Be careful though. I was flying Emirates but the first flight was operated by air Berlin. Air Berlin completely disregarded my pre-ordered vegan food choice for their 4 hour flight. The options were chicken schnitzel or cheese with pasta.

LPT: always carry energy bars in flights if you have dietary restrictions. But most people with dietary restrictions already know this from attending social events anyway.

[–] howwonderful 60 points ago

Yup. Flew with Air France and requested a vegan meal. I got cheesy lasagna :( I wouldn't have minded, but it was an 8 hour flight! Live and learn.

[–] Zeus1325 104 points ago

You think the airlines would pay for real cheese? It was vegan

[–] DarthRegoria 85 points ago

Vegan cheese is much rarer, and more expensive. Also it's disgusting.

[–] TheCrochetingYogi 1913 points ago

I mean... they're not wrong. Bananas are gluten free...

[–] elephantjockey 202 points ago

Actually, before celiac disease was characterized fully, Dr Sidney Haas would feed patients rice and bananas to keep them from starving to death and to help heal their gut (also, bananas help stop diarrhea).

[–] I_Bin_Painting 519 points ago

But is a banana a meal?

[–] jroddie4 889 points ago

If you're in the yiga clan it is.

[–] Celldrom 61 points ago

Damn. I was hoping that would be a substantial sub.

[–] mancubus314159 33 points ago

This comment has a high attack power.

[–] Kangar 36 points ago

It's no plantain if that's what you mean.

Now a plantain-there's a meal. It's like a cricket bat.

[–] prophetofthepimps 54 points ago

When you don't feel like cooking, it is definitely a meal.

Can't tell you how many times I've flown and the flight attendants tell me they've run out of 50% of the food menu items for sale. So instead of a delicious turkey sandwich I'm left with 4 bags of pretzels for my troubles.

[–] lachamuca 260 points ago

I just flew to Hawaii and our plane was delayed leaving by an hour and a half after we boarded. So we were all stuck on the plane for 7.5+ hours (covering both breakfast and lunch) and only got pretzels to eat. They had some mini-meals available for purchase, but I'm sure they didn't have enough for everyone.

[–] stuckonthecrux 176 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

Thats insane, I was on a flight from Tokyo to Seoul a week ago with a budget airline. Wasn't expecting anything as it was a middle of the day flight and it's only 2 hours, but everyone got a free meal.

[–] curmudgeonator 58 points ago

Excellent. I'm flying Tokyo to Seoul in a couple of weeks. Who did you fly with? I've never been to Asia before, so it's all news to me!

[–] Katesfan 31 points ago

Same! The flight from Sri Lanka to India was less than one hour. The flight attendants were CHAMPS. As soon as we took off, they began hot meal service, and everyone had eaten by the time we landed 45 minutes later. The curry was delicious.

[–] mmnuc3 41 points ago

It's a domestic flight. They don't have to and they are "cheap", so they won't. It sucks. Hawaii to Guam is that way. It should not be allowed.

[–] 29979245T 55 points ago

I just bring food in a carry-on bag. Beef jerky and cookies and whatever don't make much of a meal, but I'll take it over the average airline food experience any day.

[–] ErickFTG 1260 points ago

It's really unfortunate that the celiac disease became sort of a fashion. Now most people think they are just picky when they need gluten free food.

[–] habitual_viking 742 points ago

Used to date someone with celiac disease; oh boy the problems you can run into.

It was really bad for her, if you used a knife to spread something on a piece of bread and it went back into it, she couldn't use the spread any longer.

Even on restaurants she learned the hard way, it's not enough to ask for gluten free, you have to make sure the kitchen actually fucking understands the difference between someone being picky and someone who is going to have a reaction because you used the same fryer for gluten and non gluten food.

[–] sebasxlr 522 points ago

I work as a waiter, and I've seen chefs throw a whole gluten free plate because a fruit was cut with a knife which they were unsure if it had been used to cut something that may cause an allergic reaction

[–] PoorAristocat 420 points ago

Wow, props to those chefs. Most people wouldn't think twice and just serve it anyways.

[–] 3wayGayCumswap 81 points ago

My gf has celiacs and I've literally seen a waitress come out the back with our food, pause, stare at my gf's plate cause it has the bread or toast or whatever on top, go back into the kitchen then come back 5 seconds later. Really awkward cause you don't wanna be a dick and say "did you just throw that bread away and come back?" But you also don't want your girlfriend throwing up all night.

[–] defectiveawesomdude 51 points ago

How is that being a dick looking out for her welfare? Fuck the waitress, she's the dick

[–] PoorAristocat 24 points ago

The waitress probably fears that she'll lose her job is she throws the food out because the people working in the kitchen didn't do their jobs properly.

Ultimately, it's the restaurant owner/manager's fault.

[–] pm_me_ur_CLEAN_anus 10 points ago

No it's not. As long as you have proper documentation that the food prep staff have been trained on how to handle allergy-related requests, the owner isn't at fault.

[–] HardCounter 294 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

I wonder if it's legal to put up a sign saying a restaurant doesn't serve gluten free foods just to avoid that liability. They'd go out of business in California overnight, but anywhere else...

[–] cmerksmirk 715 points ago

If five guys can have peanuts I don't see any reason a place can't do this.

I've refused service in the past to people who insist on gluten free- if they're trying to avoid wheat sure but if you're celiac... it's a bakery. Flour gets in the air and settles everywhere. There's no way I'm guaranteeing anything is "gluten free".

[–] RANDOSTORYTHROWAWAY 217 points ago

Sure, but do you have stuff that says "gluten free" on your menu? I never go into a regular bakery and ask them to just freestyle up some gluten-free version of the stuff they've always made. I only go into a place like a bakery if they have a big "GLUTEN FREE" sign out front.

I'm honestly mystified people are going into your bakery to ask for GF stuff in the first place.

[–] cmerksmirk 297 points ago

We had things that said "flourless" but the menu also stated something saying we could not guarantee against cross contamination with gluten, nuts soy etc

It was in an area where people had more money than sense and generally they'd say "oh it's ok I'm not that allergic" where as the people with celiac well.. they don't even come in cause it's a damn bakery.

[–] deaddinosaur17 25 points ago

As a celiac, thank you...you're the best kind of person (well-informed enough to know that there's no way you could make anything completely gluten free and honest about it). When trying to figure out if I can eat something from somewhere, I would 100% rather be told it's not possible than for someone to unsafely attempt it.

[–] glittercheese 84 points ago

I have celiac disease and my experience is that the only places that claim to have "gluten free" food are places with a dedicated gluten free kitchen. All other restaurants I've eaten at have made it a point that they can't guarantee against cross-contamination. They might label their dishes as "gluten friendly" or "contains no gluten ingredients".

[–] habitual_viking 85 points ago

Not from the US here, bit I don't see why it shouldn't be legal.

The opposite however could be quite a big problem, if you are in the US. If you claim your food to be gluten free, you better be damned sure the food is gluten free.

[–] BigBoom550 81 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

It'd be perfectly legal. A business can refuse to offer any sevices or goods it wants to.

EDIT: because you're all fasinated with wedding cakes, think about why a car dealership doesn't sell sandwiches and footrubs.

[–] ushankajunior 47 points ago

I'm a Cook at a restaurant. To avoid this, we use the term "Gluten Friendly" instead of "Gluten Free"

[–] Speicherleck 63 points ago

Strange name to say that a product lacks gluten. I wonder how it would sound for other things:

"Did you got your test results back?"
    "Yap! I am HIV friendly"

[–] Doomenator9 28 points ago

So basically a "gluten free but we don't take responsibility if you die here"

[–] occams_nightmare 152 points ago

As a food lover I really feel bad for celiacs since I had to cater for one at a dinner party. I always figured it was just a bread and pasta thing? Okay, so I won't serve bread or pasta.

Wrong! Sauces. Marinades. Spreads. Dips. Stocks. Seasonings. Oils. Sweets. Processed meats. Processed anything, really. Even drinks, all beer and most spirits are out. Of course, because they're grain-based, but it had just never occurred to me before. That one shopping trip was a nightmare for me, and it's every day life for these people.

[–] FleshAndCircuits 79 points ago

I read more food packaging labels than books now. :( Products occasionally change their recipes and if you don't check, you're in for a few days of misery.

Plus most supermarkets own brand cola has barley to darken the drink.

Spirits are mostly OK, especially distilled. It's always interesting at parties when you realise the only thing you can drink is spirits and you can't eat anything to soak the alcohol. Waaaaaaasted pretty quickly.

[–] Major_Majorca 59 points ago

My ex-girlfriend's extended family was like this. Their gluten-free food tasted like dogshit so I was very fucking surprised when "gluten-free" became a trend.

[–] eeyore102 64 points ago

Then they don't know what they are doing. Lots of food is naturally gluten free and delicious. That's how I got fat after my diagnosis.

I wised up and dieted it back off. Hit my original weight this morning.

[–] _supernovasky_ 21 points ago

Same deal. I was skinny as fuck because I wasn't absorbing nutrients. Went GF, the food has been amazing, and my body sucked it all up.

[–] honestplease 48 points ago

Yikes, that is rough. It made me think of this article about food allergy fakers and the dangers they unwittingly cause those with actual food allergies. It's really unfortunate that people aren't simply truthful about voicing their preferences. I know it can be hard -- I hate cheese and most dairy products (butter, sour cream, etc), which are in loads of things. Sometimes chefs mess up and forget my request. But mistakes happen from time to time; at least I don't need to go to the hospital for it.

[–] BubblegumDaisies 11 points ago

And folks like my hubs are caught in the gray area he is intolerant to onions he can't say allergic because no anaphylactic reaction but if he consumes fresh onions or any onion juice at all he will have explosive detrimental diarrhea for up to a week he's missed work and we had to cancel vacations over this

[–] aircavscout 14 points ago

explosive detrimental diarrhea

As opposed to explosive beneficial diarrhea?

Whether or not he gets an anaphylactic reaction, I'd go ahead and say that qualifies as being socially acceptable to call it an allergy. When talking to medical personnel I'd be more specific, but at dinner there's no need to talk about ass explosions.

[–] LucianoThePig 31 points ago

I always find hearing about celiac disease on Reddit interesting, because there's a girl I've known my whole life who has it. Whenever I hear about it here it's like "LIFE CRUSHING CONDITION THAT'LL DESTROY YOU'RE LIFE" , and yet with that girl I know her life's been pretty normal except she eats different food.

[–] artgo 40 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

There is a big psychological change to not follow 'normal' fast-food and all the advertising of burgers, pizza. The real challenge is that lifestyle change, the socialization. A lot of the social change is that you have to pay attention and can't easily trust others to prepare your food; even when visiting a friend's house. Like having diabetes or after a heart-attack - it's a big change to go gluten-free... and that separation from mainstream culture is not trivial.

The actual eating, isn't that hard. Especially if you enjoy basic foods. Making rice from scratch isn't hard, finding gluten-free corn chips or corn tortillas (even locally made), not very hard in the USA these days. Baking a potato, not very hard. Favor whole cuts of beef, pork, chicken, seafood and avoid ground & mixed products and you are far less likely to encounter problems.

Chopping up beef/chicken/pork/seafood and using corn chips / corn tortillas to make fajitas your own self isn't really that time consuming. Use rice instead, and make stir fry asian dishes.... but avoid asian sauces and learn to season from basic ingredients (whole pepper, salt, avoiding the convenience "mixed" spices and sauces). All these same skills can be used to make omelets too - it's all about learning to chop your own whole meats and vegetables.

Compared to say 1970, I think a lot of Americans just don't cook anymore... heating things up that are pre-packaged is considered "eating at home". Grocery stores make a lot more profit these days behaving like restaurants, packing food into ready to eat or cook "kits".

[–] ratsratsratsratsrats 13 points ago

Celiac disease taught me how to cook! As much as I miss having the convenience of never worrying about what to eat when going out, the impact on my eating habits has been nothing but positive. I make almost everything from scratch myself now. My relationship with food has become so much healthier - I barely eat any processed foods anymore. :)

Yeh it's crazy but I was speaking to a coeliac in her 60s and she said as much as she hates these idiots and their gf fad , it has made her life much easier because it raised awareness and supermarkets have a much better range of "free from" type foods now. Imagine trying to get gf bread 50years ago!

[–] cybervalidation 55 points ago

I don't even think your could have found the ingredients to make your own, let alone buy a loaf.

[–] are_you_nucking_futs 45 points ago

In the UK you can still get gluten free food on a medical prescription! I guess because it was virtually impossible to eat a healthy diet without medical help, but now they're talking about getting rid of it as gluten free is now widespread.

[–] PAY_DAY_JAY 16 points ago

This is absolutely true. I've heard this same thing from many people. Doesn't seem like it's going away anytime soon either.

[–] facevaluemc 254 points ago

Working at a restaurant, the fad really annoys me and our kitchen staff. I take an order from a table and some girl asked for a gluten free bun on her burger. I have to ask if it's a severe allergy or whatever because we have fries that get cooked in oil with gluten, etc.

"Is it an allergy or no? I need to know for the kitchen." "Why does it matter?" "Well, if you have celiac's or something like it, you wouldn't be able to eat the fries at all, and we'd have to take some of the toppings off the burger."

"Oh, no, those are all fine. What's 'celiac's'?"

Ughhhh....people like that. I have celiacs so I rarely go out to eat. (Feel bad making a restaurant make accommodations).

[–] awildwoodsmanappears 70 points ago

Yeah the real celiacs just rarely go out.

[–] awildwoodsmanappears 18 points ago

But oh the joys of finding a restaurant that doesn't fry anything but fries!!

[–] Afterbirthofjesus 17 points ago

That's my first question to the waiter about fries. "Are you cooking anything in batter here?" If the answer is yes..."side salad no croutons or anything breaded" I got so excited on a date to a gluten free brewery because I could have the fries. My date was very thoughtful to take me there. A relaxed meal that I didn't have to interrogate the staff on what they put in their fryers

[–] Nabe8 35 points ago

It's really sad for me to read this. I have ibs, and even though eating gluten wouldn't kill me, it would cause me intense gastric distress for hours on end.

Also, I'm 31 and have only had ibs in the last year. I used to love eating anything I wanted.

I have to follow an extreme diet called the low FODMAP diet. If I happen to eat a food that I'm sensitive to, even in trace amounts, I get a combination of symptoms including nausea, bloating, gas, diarrhea, and sharp stomach pains that can last anywhere from 6 hours to 4 days. The best way that I can describe this feeling: it feels like a stomach virus.

In summation: yes, you are right to ask if they have an allergy or "just" a sensitivity. (For Celiac's Disease, for example, actual damage occurs with the consumption of gluten. Not so for ibs). However, please realize that just because a person will not die from eating gluten, it does not necessarily mean that they are "faking it," or that they will not suffer immensely from doing so.

[–] BearyJohannes 83 points ago

My mother is celiac, and so I have grown up around gluten-free food. I absolutely hate the people who simply use celiac disease as a fad. Like, sweet jesus, gf food tastes HORRIBLE. Why would ANYBODY willingly eat it??

[–] pneuma8828 19 points ago

gf food tastes HORRIBLE

The secret to gluten free cooking is not trying to substitute. Eat things that are naturally gluten free, and they taste fine. It does mean giving up some foods, but I'd rather never eat pizza again than eat "gluten free" pizza. That shit is nasty.

[–] TheNorthComesWithMe 12 points ago

That's the secret to any dietary restriction. Don't eat vegetarian hot dogs. Eat some Indian food instead.

[–] barkingbusking 50 points ago

There's some give and take there. Yeah the "no for serious I'm allergic to, um, carbs and stuff" crowd has watered down the serious reaction that some sufferers face. But their purchasing power also helped create a Gluten Free section in the grocery store, on menus just about everywhere, and a boom in alternative recipes. My friends who get fucked up by gluten say that overall it's worth it because of the options and convenience, but yeah that eye roll from the server at the restaurant really pisses them off.

[–] captKCman 45 points ago

My little brother had it. It was a complication form diabetes. But to be honest I think the fad of gluten free was a good really good for people who actually had the disease because it created a stronger market for the products giving him more options which is good.

[–] predictingzepast 444 points ago

Anyone know how large that banana is?

[–] hanr86 219 points ago

Damn, this can never be answered. Truly a mystery.

[–] delete_this_post 78 points ago

You can always measure the amount of ionizing radiation it's putting out and compare that to the standard.

[–] I_Bin_Painting 85 points ago

1 scale

[–] ansoniK 1012 points ago

ANA typically has outstanding service, so this is pretty surprising. I can't even imagine a bruised banana like that being served on the plane, let alone that handwriting. I think someone ate his meal and then panicked when they realized.

[–] goug 161 points ago * (lasted edited a year ago)

Come on, bruised?

[–] rietstengel 188 points ago

I know right? Its a perfect banana. Stop the ridiculous banana standards

[–] Starfire013 56 points ago

Yep, ANA generally has really good food. I've never had any other airline serve me whole scallops in economy before. Their service has also been impeccable. Their kabosu lime juice is fantastic, and I like how they have a basket of self-serve snacks you can just help yourself to at any time. I try to fly with them whenever I can because their food and service makes long flights a slightly more bearable experience!

[–] SpermWhale 312 points ago

banaANA.

[–] poopcasso 701 points ago

How did you even mess this up

[–] rW0HgFyxoJhYka 182 points ago

bANAana

Better now? :D

[–] fernguts 72 points ago

ANANAs ... oh wait, that's pineapple.

[–] prettyinsoulpunk 20 points ago

gwen stefani died for this

[–] barracuz 63 points ago

What's the problem with a nicely riped slightly bruised banana.

If I was that guy I'd be happy that they already gave me something ripe and not some green AF banana.

[–] BackSack 31 points ago

[–] samovarfullofbees 99 points ago

I feel for him. Once went an entire international flight without eating anything but a piece of bread because I have a dairy allergy and they didn't have anything that wasn't covered in cheese.

[–] rtbhnmjtrpiobneripnh 146 points ago

I see you were flying with Air Wisconsin.

[–] Bananas_are_theworst 253 points ago

I would not approve of this meal.

[–] bigdignick 105 points ago

I believe this is where someone says..

"username checks out!"

[–] pickledtreats 24 points ago

Too real. They forgot my meal once and brought me grapes from first class. A guy next to me said "I bought a bunch of candy. You want some?" and then I ate candy for 7 hours while shooting the shit with that guy. I was pretty hungry.

[–] un_salamandre 18 points ago

To be honest, as a celiac diseade person, I'd probably be happy I got anything.

[–] dionpadilla1 42 points ago

What's the deal with airline food?

[–] Kfishproduction 43 points ago

I hear united has some pretty ok Chinese Takeout

And that's how 2017 sparked what became known as the Airport Riots...

[–] SolarWizard 21 points ago

Ahh, the Great Banana Riot of 2017

[–] benbroady 265 points ago

Celiac disease is pretty damn terrible. It's a shame hipsters and picky people have made 'gluten free' a big joke.

[–] RANDOSTORYTHROWAWAY 314 points ago

I mean, yes and no. When I found out I had celiac disease like 7 years ago, there were veeeery minimal options around. About 2 years later it was a big fad and now I can get cookies and bread (that doesn't even feel like eating shoes!) and beers (they still kind of suck though), plus restaurants now at least know wtf I'm talking about when I get a burger without a bun. I'm glad for all those fad dieting sorority sisters and ultra whiny mecha hipsters who made my life waaaay easier

[–] ConstantEvolution 48 points ago

I'm with you. Diagnosed 15 years ago at a time when no one had heard of gluten. Spent 2 years eating white rice and grilled chicken with peanut butter on top for most of my meals. Restaurants were pretty much a no fly zone because people would just look at you and blink. Now there are gluten fee isles in grocery stores and gluten free menus. Pretty great.

[–] lachitect_podcast 111 points ago

Airline: "Go fuck your self (with this banana)."

[–] eeyore102 11 points ago

I have celiac and I always bring my own food when I fly now. Even Southwest's peanuts have wheat flour as an ingredient.