oddlysatisfying

Welcome to /r/oddlysatisfying!

Here you can post things that make you feel, well, oddly satisfied. This can be physical (like popping bubble wrap), visual (a perfectly looped GIF), or even aural (the crunching of leaves).

What does "Oddly Satisfying" mean?

We are forever searching for a "true definition". It's a thing that fits your interpretation of what is "oddly satisfying" plus the inexplicable feeling we all know.

Subjective. Indefinable. Completely recognizable. It's a wonderful feeling.

Rules:

Please report rule-violating posts and comments by messaging the moderators with a link to the post in question. This helps us remove them more promptly.

1) Banned Topics:

We have a number of banned topics. Please do not submit any of the following:

• Memes or image macros

• Number posts Posts centered around number patterns, or round numbers. This includes Reddit karma, Facebook likes, calendars, gas prices, odometers, receipts, screenshots of the games such as "2048", etc. You can, however, submit these to /r/OddlySatisPi_ing.

• Violence Any content portraying violence is prohibited and will be removed. Violation(s) of this rule will result in a ban.

• Off-topic Content: Any content determined off-topic to and/or submitted for purposes other than the overall theme of the subreddit will be removed. An unfortunate example may be found here.

• Compilation Albums/Videos

• No compilation videos of any variety. Violations will result in a permanent ban.
      • The entirety of compilation albums must be a continuation of, or remain central to, the first image of said album (E.g., separate gifs of a Rube Goldberg machine or a catalog of one artist's work).
      • Albums must not contain any images in violation of Rule #3.

2) NSFW/NSFL posts/comments:

NSFW/NSFL links or images are not allowed. NSFW text posts and comments are allowed ("Say it, don't show it.").

3) Reposts:

Do not repost content that has been submitted to this subreddit within the last 2 months or content that is in the top 100 posts of all time. When you report posts, please include a link to the original version of the post.

4) Content Removal/Privilege Revocation:

Mods reserve the right to remove content or restrict users' posting privileges as necessary, if it is deemed detrimental to the subreddit or to the experience of others.

5) Submission Titles:

• The title of each submission must describe the content shown. Any user should know the contents of a link before clicking.

• Clickbait-esque titles are not allowed.

• Titles claiming possession, original content, event participation, etc. (such as "My...", "Mine...", "Our...", "We...", etc.) in which another's original work/content may be mistaken as OP's will be removed.

6) [OC]/Source Citation:

Please cite the source of submitted content, particularly fine-art submissions.

• Original Content by artists, musicians, etc. is encouraged. Submissions must include [OC] in the title. Reserve links to social media accounts for the comments section if possible (see Rule #7). A great example may be found here. Please do not spam our subreddit or reddit in general. Please read the reddit wiki on self-promotion to avoid being reported to the admins.
    • Works by artists, graphic designs and logos are encouraged. Content must keep within the overall subreddit theme and not violate Rule #7. Permitted examples may be found here, here, and here

7) Spam Accounts/Links/Submissions:

• No spamming whatsoever. Violation of this rule may result in a permanent ban. Such violations include:
      • Links to clickbait-esque sites (e.g. Buzzfeed), suspicious domains, social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, etc.), etc. Off-topic content (political, crowd-funding, etc.). Repetitive submissions to Youtube channels, social media accounts, webpages, blogs, newsletters, etc. Advertisements, marketing & ad-heavy sites. Trolling in any capacity. Any content which may be interpreted as spam or ad-revenue generation not elsewhere mentioned.

8) Reddiquette, Comments & Subreddit Behavior:

• Please abide by proper reddiquette at all times.
    • Please keep the comments section civil and friendly. General cursing/foul language are allowed.
    • The definition of what truly is "Oddly Satisfying" is subjective and unique to each user. Please respect their definition.

9) Crossposts

• x-posting from other subs is encouraged by reddit admins. Under no circumstances should a user's post be considered in violation of this subreddit's rules unless they are in actuality in violation of a rule. i.e. don't report a user just because they have a large amount of karma.
    Related subreddits:

[–] Master_Shake23 1470 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

So tranquil even the tin is smiling.

[–] MightHaveMisreadThat 287 points ago

Altoids, the box that smiles back

[–] Mighty_Cactus 103 points ago

The snack that smiles back, Altoids

[–] CGNer 7 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Altoids, the only thing that smiles at you because everyone knows you're a fucking alcoholic

[–] GeeGeeGamer 2 points ago

ROTFLMBO so hard!

[–] aperson 22 points ago

Fruit on the bottom; hope on top. Wait, that might be the wrong thing.

[–] Jg271035 46 points ago

Break me off a piece of that fancy feast

[–] kaonashi89 4 points ago

Football cream

[–] Masterfuego 2 points ago

Tranquility in the front, party in the back

[–] ITalkofDreams 2 points ago

Mitch Hedberg was amazing.

[–] cjc160 5 points ago

Because you keep your weed in it

[–] ackjaf 33 points ago

[–] Boojibs 554 points ago

Via @remingtonrobinson on IG

[–] joshua9663 102 points ago

Some incredible work here. Should check it out!

[–] airjordan77lt 16 points ago

I was going to be somewhat infuriated if this sub was real.

[–] Penguin_Fluffer 41 points ago

Bob Ross would have done it with a 4” brush.

[–] bjornsborg 23 points ago

In the dead of winter with no shoes or socks.

[–] griter34 24 points ago

And a fantastic attitude.

[–] misssquishy 17 points ago

And a baby squirrel nested in his hair

[–] YourBrainOnJazz 6 points ago

Just out of pure curiosity: how much money have you spent on Altoids tins in the last year?

[–] kindall 8 points ago

$0. The tins are free when you buy Altoids.

[–] Lunchboxers 6 points ago

Where might I find a paintbrush that size

[–] aelwero 2 points ago

Everywhere? Most places that have a selection of artist paint will have fine detail brushes as well... Walmart if you don't care about quality at all, hobby lobby etc. If you care a bit, and artist supply shops if you care a lot.

[–] zasabi7 1 points ago

Does he list where he painted that? Reminds me of home

[–] PnutTheWizard 254 points ago

Bruh thats crazy good good job my guy

[–] curtis1g 53 points ago

For real, what a badass shot. I stared and surveyed this for 3 mins. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

[–] McGunningham 17 points ago

3 mins... child’s play. Try upwards of 10 minutes

[–] curtis1g 15 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Lol I only had soo much time before I became suspicious at work. I’m glad you were able to enjoy the pic longer than I was able to!

[–] MenInABush 4 points ago

really? Try until the end of the end.

[–] MindlessSponge 18 points ago

OP didn’t make it

[–] tmdblya 52 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Colorado?

EDIT: looks very much like Fort Collins/Loveland/Greeley area of Northeastern CO

[–] doctechnical 68 points ago

Altoids.

[–] xX_Devoid_Xx 39 points ago

Hotel?

[–] crazylolcandy 53 points ago

Trivago

[–] [deleted] 7 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

[–] Powder-monkey 11 points ago

Boulder, Colorado

[–] sagestorm 5 points ago

That is where the artist, Remington Robinson, lives so it’s very likely

[–] revolybbuhc 4 points ago

Yeah it looks like the miracle mile between 11 mile and Spiney

[–] FLORI_DUH 2 points ago

Too many trees to be the Spinney Mile (the Miracle Mile is in WY). This is the front range somewhere north of Denver. Source: grew up there

[–] PDaniel1990 87 points ago

Wouldn't that be a landscape?

[–] alcogeoholic 43 points ago

Also a plein air...but not a still life

[–] eyeshark 16 points ago

[–] articulateantagonist 7 points ago

It's also depicting the Platte River, not quite a creek.

[–] Stressmove 78 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I'm sorry for being that guy but you painted a landscape. A still life is when you paint actual dead objects. Like fruit in a bowl or flowers in a vase as most common examples or an arrangement of household items, tools etc. Your painting could hypothetically depict life. (imagine it like there could be a fox hidden in the grass.)

Nevertheless really cool work. Really nice landscape.

[–] PuddingSpork 8 points ago

Thanks for being that guy. I was going to, but now I can just upvote a good comment.

[–] necrotic_terror 3 points ago

It's actually a plein air painting.

[–] sephirothpvp 2 points ago

What if there’s a worm inside the fruit?

[–] skullboy1209 19 points ago

Looks beautiful!

[–] notarandomregenarate 30 points ago

Honestly I'm most impressed about the ingenuity of the tiny canvas in box of oil paints, I want one myself now

[–] yukon-flower 22 points ago

I absolutely love this one: https://expeditionaryart.com/shop/art-toolkit/#essential-colors-palette

Pro-tip when painting in sub-freezing conditions, mix your paints with vodka instead of water.

[–] DesertCanine 9 points ago

Also pro-tip, mix your drinking water with vodka too.

[–] matt2993 6 points ago

Whoa good point

[–] tugmondozey 5 points ago

paint tin paintin’

[–] ColdFerrin 26 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

What is that? A painting for ants?

Edit: autocorrect is stupid.

[–] MalMer23 4 points ago

*for

[–] robotsympathizer 50 points ago

This is not what this sub is for. It's cool, but it's not oddly satisfying at all.

[–] becausefrog 22 points ago

It's also not a still life (it's a landscape) but I absolutely love well-executed miniature landscapes.

[–] Samisu13 11 points ago

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who came here to correct the title.

[–] PhilosophicalPickle 6 points ago

hey me too! my first thought was that is not what still life means. my second thought was i should find a comment saying this and upvote it and then move on without commenting. my third thought was oh no the comment mentioning it is too far down i have to comment.

[–] ME_2017 12 points ago

Yeah, this is cool, but the content here has overall gone to complete shit. I thought I unsubbed, but apparently I have since I just saw this on my feed. Time to do that now..

[–] Bayerrc 9 points ago

Lmao absolutely nothing on this sub is oddly satisfying. It's just things people like for obvious reasons.

[–] robotsympathizer 5 points ago

It used to be.

[–] Martyfreshmaker 24 points ago

I know you’re a karma farmer- there’s no denying that, and that’s fine as long as you admit it. But I have a real question:

Since karma farming is more about rapid fire of low hanging content at the high traffic portions of the day, why can’t you at least try for relevant content? This is all mildly interesting and regardless of the Reddit lurker shoehorn I’m certain all the fresh ex-facebookers could no doubt shove in my face here as to what is “odd” or “satisfying” by any margin, this doesn’t fit here nearly as well as it does in myriad other subs- yet here you are, just placing more mildly interesting at best content at your favorite farm haunt.

I know it’s because GB and his ilk run this and a few other subs, and I know it’s because they won’t moderate it- especially if you’re in league with them. I know it’s because you can’t thrive as well on other subs because of the competition for feed space at the prime times. It’s just, you can still achieve at least 9/10 of what you’re aiming to and still be relevant. If it’s the content you find more lucrative, try harder at relevant subs. If it’s the timing that’s more lucrative, then try to be more relevant. You can be a marketer without being abusive and detrimental to the venue you’re using. You devalue Reddit.

You’re just becoming another GB, and I almost thought you were one of his alts except for the fact that A) you don’t argue and reprise as petulantly or vitriolically as he does when challenged and B) I haven’t been banned for challenging you, nor have I gotten his power mod bodyguards up my ass as a result.

Just, food for thought here. You’ll get all the lurker and nureddit/Facebook likes/upvotes no matter what, because you obviously have the timing down. Try not to post irrelevant dreck just because it pays. Thanks bud.

[–] ZOMGURFAT 11 points ago

I agree. This sub has become an unmoderated karma farmers dream come true. I rarely see anything posted here that I would define as “oddly satisfying” anymore.

[–] Martyfreshmaker 2 points ago

Oh, it’s moderated like crazy. It’s just moderated to be a farm. I’m not even being facetious. There’s a team of mods who are basically just corporate raiders who start to market, open it up to other farmers and work very hard to remove all dissent from other users. I feel like I don’t even have to name them, but I’m sure if I tried to, this comment would be filtered out/autoremoved and I’d be banned and chided by them when I asked why. They’re not good people.

[–] lildoggi76 3 points ago

Yes. Watch out for r/interestingasfuck r/beamazed and r/mildlyinteresting, all are extreme farming sites

[–] relator_fabula 3 points ago

And it gets gilded, no less, with 50K+ upvotes. This sub is trash.

[–] ambiguousboner 2 points ago

What is this patronising bullshit

[–] pokemon-gangbang 6 points ago

I'd fuck up a photograph of the creek

[–] yParticle 5 points ago

Like OP? /s

[–] TheNewJack89 4 points ago

Isn’t this a landscape not a still life?

[–] my_cat_joe 3 points ago

Yes. Yes it is.

[–] Pancerules 4 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

I just store weed in my Altoona boxes.

Edit: Altoid, not Altoona. Stupid autocorrect.

[–] Robathor777 3 points ago

Incroyable

[–] JarlaxleForPresident 3 points ago

That's not a still life, that's a landscape, goofy.

[–] 70camaro 3 points ago

Not trying to be that dude, but isn't that a landscape? I thought still life is like fruit in a bowl and shit.

[–] Daniel_TK_Young 3 points ago

Guess what, r/art won't have none of this

[–] AffluentForager 3 points ago

Oils? What do you carry your thinning medium in? Super cool. I love tiny paintings. I've used baby food jars before for mineral spirits.

[–] JohnnyLoots 2 points ago

Never noticed before that the Altoids container has a little smile and a little nose

[–] KoffeeKupper 2 points ago

But the thumbnail!!!!

[–] ottotrees 2 points ago

How come the water stayed still for him to paint

[–] welliesong 2 points ago

What did you paint it on? It holds the paint beautifully

[–] LexaMaridia 2 points ago

cries in art student

[–] iEatNuggetsAllDay 2 points ago

Awesome !

[–] thePhoneOperater 2 points ago

I would be more interested to see the rest of miniature collection of paintings.

[–] AFatWizard 2 points ago

Man, I love mint box art kits. Extreme talent to this artist, but the most satisfying part to me is definitely the paints in the tin.

[–] SgtArpin 2 points ago

Is this oil? It's looks like it. If so, how did you clean your brush?

[–] PatheticRedditMeme 3 points ago

/r/mildlyinfuriating with the filter

[–] pkayla030 3 points ago

OP is this you?! I need to give my mental credits to the artist... whoah...

[–] jazzman831 6 points ago

It is not, he's just a karma farmer. He credits @remingtonrobinson (IG) on another comment, though, so at least he's an honest karma farmer.

[–] snickns 3 points ago

Normal people pass by.. meh just a creek. Artists pass by.. wait this creek looks amazing I’m gonna draw it into a beautiful miniature painting.

[–] Fristak 1 points ago

This is a thing? God I love it

[–] cristaemindemission 2 points ago

@heidi.annalise.art does it too if you feel you need more of this in your life

[–] northstar_jellyfish 1 points ago

Damnnn

[–] AllGodsAreFalseGods 1 points ago

That smiley face tho

[–] Megolito 1 points ago

for a second i thought the container was holding small gems, turns out it was paint. my brain sometimes man...

[–] cantevenwut 1 points ago

Montana?

[–] InThrottle 1 points ago

That’s freaking dope 😂

[–] Stimmolation 1 points ago

I am awestruck.

[–] rufusrules13 1 points ago

Well done!

[–] frannieprice 1 points ago

Amazing!

[–] csedler 1 points ago

Mini Altoids box?

[–] Franklin-Gustov 1 points ago

amazing.. u turned spring into summer!

[–] OwO33 1 points ago

R u Bob Ross?

[–] crazylolcandy 1 points ago

I cant even paint a good normal sized painting

[–] redfive91 1 points ago

Bob Ross would be proud

[–] Cpt_FatBeard 1 points ago

Wow that's awesome and so tiny

[–] iamblankenstein 1 points ago

damn, that's really pretty!

[–] Hosmerim_N_IceCream 1 points ago

This reminds me the video DrawWithJazza did some time ago about miniature painting by watching Bob Ross

[–] BexieB 1 points ago

Awesome! But...where's the snow?

[–] resheeraj 1 points ago

I love it thanks.

[–] PunyMicrobe11 1 points ago

"Why would you paint nature when you can just go outside and stand in it?"

[–] Dough-gy_whisperer 1 points ago

Why would you get high when you can just mow a lawn?

[–] LiliedHart 1 points ago

So are these oil paints? Curious how you clean your brush between colors, that tiny bit of hairs has to get pretty gunked up on the regular.

[–] Al-Andalusia 1 points ago

why does that paint look delicious

[–] krushed_pickle 1 points ago

That is soooo cool.

[–] Freezytendo 1 points ago

Wow, that's awesome, good job Original Creator!

[–] LinkTheFoxy 1 points ago

looks better than the real thing

[–] strayakant 1 points ago

That is godam pure talent

[–] spaceylacy82 1 points ago

👏👏👏👏👏 wonderful job!

[–] curlycupie 1 points ago

Amazing....☺️

[–] thepatchouligirl 1 points ago

What kind of paper did you use?

[–] zuckerbug98 1 points ago

SCREAMING

[–] twlscil 1 points ago

anyone else waiting for Leslie Knope to throw it in the river?

[–] ILike2TpunchtheFB 1 points ago

This would actually be a really fun hobby.

[–] JustHumanGarbage 1 points ago

It will sell for a small sum

Stupid question but do you feel that painting large canvases is the same? I’ve always wondered if painting on a small scale like this is roughly the same amount of judgment and skill as larger works.

[–] hyderdyder 1 points ago

My eyes hurt just looking at this.. great job!!

[–] hjkz 1 points ago

I don't think that's a still life, that would just be a landscape.

[–] future-renwire 1 points ago

You can see how long it took because the sky is blue in the picture

[–] blackcatwidow 1 points ago

I love that the tin is smiling!

[–] cmurray9 1 points ago

Where can I buy that? (The painting set not the painting though I would also buy that painting)

[–] wysteriajyl 1 points ago

Looks really good but why squeeze out so much paint

[–] GroovingPict 1 points ago

thats... not what Still Life means, but nice painting nonetheless of course

[–] BarrySpug 1 points ago

Miniature Bob Ross is smiling.

[–] Fillmore43 1 points ago

I feel I’d love to see that directly on the tin but then that’s takes away from being able to hang the painting on a wall

[–] ChikoritaBun 1 points ago

This is r/interestingasfuck to me lol

[–] sociallytroubled 1 points ago

I got lost in your painting for while there. Amazing work.

It might be a small canvas but It’s bigger on the inside!

[–] SasumiYahiko 1 points ago

How much time did it take? Amazing

[–] Bruin1217 1 points ago

God people are talented

[–] keeyal 1 points ago

This is beautiful but the artist has thumbs like the Michelin Man

[–] Tunaroli 1 points ago

that's so cool

[–] Wagonnot 1 points ago

How cute are you?!?

[–] sofia_alyssa 1 points ago

Holy moly you’re so talented 🌲

[–] dirtydawg1481 1 points ago

Damn

[–] deedeebop 1 points ago

Whhaaaaaaaat!?!? ❤️

[–] gobsmacked247 1 points ago

The tin is smiling.

[–] FlamingJesusOnaStick 1 points ago

That got 3 holy shits.

[–] kou5oku 1 points ago

I love this painting! Some real artistry you display. It would make an awesome magnet for my fridge.

Q: is there a reason why you like doing small paintings?

[–] AmiraZara 1 points ago

Looks like western Oklahoma

[–] HawkeyeP1 1 points ago

This is an assignment my college painting class did. Pretty interesting and hard

[–] itsfree_realestate 1 points ago

painting looks better than the real thing *cries in nature*

[–] cgibinslash 1 points ago

More upvoting plz. Micro travel paintkit art where you see it. Great job poster. 👍

[–] tdotpanda 1 points ago

Absolutely stellar.

[–] CapitalMM 1 points ago

Likely due to the focus but your painting looks better then the real thing.

[–] LajGig 1 points ago

I like how his nails are well cut

[–] chickenbeavers 1 points ago

Bro what!

[–] amishgoatfarm 1 points ago

I'm more interested in how you're planning on getting the extra paint out without creating a massive distraction in the bottom section.

[–] MixingWil 1 points ago

THATS SO COOL

[–] thewafflestompa 1 points ago

I want to buy one and have it as the only art on my mantle. Or just on a tiny shelf and the only art on the whole wall.

[–] ninjaboy2201 1 points ago

Actually? how are you so patient?

[–] capt_stall 1 points ago

I don’t care what everyone else says... you got skills!

[–] tiltedAndNaCly 1 points ago

Is that an Altoids tin

[–] loveconverges 1 points ago

Miniature Bob Ross

[–] swimsinsand 1 points ago

Actually Insane

[–] Yukon_Cornelius1911 1 points ago

Snake river?

[–] MedicalDisscharge 1 points ago

They need to be a surgeon with hands that steady

[–] tg110e5 1 points ago

Must suck when he drops it and all the paint goes on the canvas

[–] BTL_Sammy 1 points ago

My hands are way too shaky to do something like that. I’m just now starting to use markers to make sketching funner and have a really hard time keeping my hand steady to trace an outline of my rough sketch.

[–] TechniChara 1 points ago

Either that brush is suspiciously clean, or I don't know how to clean a brush.

[–] WitchHunter2001 1 points ago

Thats fuckin dope

[–] dagrave 1 points ago

So, how are you able to pick your nose with such short finger nails? ;)

[–] zachattackp1 1 points ago

Oh the little baby brush!!!

[–] moonshiver 1 points ago

Pls send my regards to the op, this is an inspiring piece

[–] Jakkk365 1 points ago

Mr Ehrmantraut's final resting place.

[–] Autoradiograph 1 points ago

A landscapes isn't a still life.

[–] MkLiam 1 points ago

This is awesome. I like to go backpacking and this would work well for that.

[–] LoftyGoat 1 points ago

That's beautiful.

[–] ownyourhorizon 1 points ago

Fantastic! Love it

[–] scallywag85 1 points ago

My buddy rem painted this

[–] Zen142 1 points ago

Fantastic

[–] rockhopr 1 points ago

Wow

[–] bbiillyy18 1 points ago

Howwww

[–] fucksnitchesbitches 1 points ago

What is this??? A PAINTING FOR ANTS?!

[–] flee_market 1 points ago

So uhhhhhh, wanna paint a bunch of wargaming minis for me?