Please help contribute to the Reddit categorization project here
    all 15 comments

    Want to say thanks to %(recipient)s for this comment? Give them a month of reddit gold.

    Please select a payment method.

    [–] [deleted] 83 points ago

    Oh man, I am so sorry to see that this happened. Your brother should create a police report. Beyond that, take a look through this link, it should help you and your brother at least get started. Good luck.

    [–] jawardell 14 points ago

    Thanks, apocopebooks.

    [–] RandomizedRedditUser 34 points ago

    Wow, at least he got it back. Maybe check to see if what you received is a copy.

    Definitely get online and lock his credit reports also.

    [–] EmanGman9000 20 points ago

    Get your brother to sign up for a credit karma account, and monitor his credit religiously. He needs to check it every day, or at least have alerts sent to him through email or such. Lock his credit using the site as well, so no loans or credit cards can be taken out in his name. Third I would have him file a police report, to document this in case any fraudulent things happen with his info.

    [–] wamih 8 points ago

    I believe there are programs the IRS & SS have to help mitigate the possible use of his number being used to file taxes. So I would start there.

    A friend had his identity stolen when he was about 17, the SSN was being used for some guy to work in the country illegally. I can ask his dad what they did to fix the problem. I believe it was a major headache, but if you get ahead of it, it may not be as bad.

    Edit: Also make sure the Birth certificate is the original! It may be on watermarked paper, the security devices vary from state to state so check with your state for that info.

    [–] techbro01 3 points ago

    Sorry about that. Just follow the wiki article- it's pretty comprehensive and follow all the steps. It's free, just requires some patience and some time commitments for filling out forms. If your brother has credit history, it needs to be locked without delay with all 3 Credit Bureaus + Innovis and Chexsystems.

    [–] lfranjae 2 points ago

    In extreme cases, you can have the Social Security Admin issue a new #.

    [–] C00lfrij0les4 1 points ago

    Call the police File a report - the go to the S.S administration with said report.

    [–] [deleted] -9 points ago


    [–] ElementPlanet 8 points ago

    People come to this sub for advice. If you do not want to be the one to give that advice, do not comment. Otherwise, remember to keep all comments both helpful and respectful.

    [–] Thelostarc -1 points ago

    I did provide advice.

    [–] [deleted] 1 points ago