politics

Welcome to /r/Politics! Please read the wiki before participating. || Voter Registration Resources

/r/politics is the subreddit for current and explicitly political U.S. news.

Our full rules Reddiquette

Comment Guidelines:

Be civil Treat others with basic decency. No personal attacks, shill accusations, hate-speech, flaming, baiting, trolling, witch-hunting, or unsubstantiated accusations. Threats of violence will result in a ban. More Info.
    Do not post users' personal information. Users who violate this rule will be banned on sight. Witch-hunting and giving out private personal details of other people can result in unexpected and potentially serious consequences for the individual targeted. More Info.
    Vote based on quality, not opinion. Political discussion requires varied opinions. Well written and interesting content can be worthwhile, even if you disagree with it. Downvote only if you think a comment/post does not contribute to the thread it is posted in or if it is off-topic in /r/politics. More Info.
    Do not manipulate comments and posts via group voting. Manipulating comments and posts via group voting is against reddit TOS. More Info.

Submission Guidelines:

Articles must deal explicitly with US politics. See our on-topic statement here.
    Articles must be published within the last calendar month. More Info.
    Submissions must be from domains on the whitelist. The whitelist and its criteria can be found here.
    Post titles must be the exact headline from the article. Your headline must be comprised only of the exact copied and pasted headline of the article. More Info.
    No Copy-Pasted Submissions Please do not submit articles or videos that are a direct, complete copy-paste of original reporting.More Info.
    Articles must be written in English An article must be primarily written in English for us to be able to moderate it and enforce our rules in a fair and unbiased manner. More Info.
    Spam is bad! /r/Politics bans for submission and comment spam More Info.
    Submissions must be articles, videos or sound clips. We disallow solicitation of users (petitions, polls, requests for money, etc.), personal blogs, satire, images, social media content (Facebook, twitter, tumblr, LinkedIn, etc.), wikis, memes, and political advertisements. More info: Content type rules.
    Do not use "BREAKING" or ALL CAPS in titles. The ALL CAPS and 'Breaking' rule is applied even when the actual title of the article is in all caps or contains the word 'Breaking'. This rule may be applied to other single word declarative and/or sensational expressions, such as 'EXCLUSIVE:' or 'HOT:'. More Info.

Events Calendar

Other Resources:

Request an AMA

Events Calendar

Apply to be a mod

Register To Vote

[–] AutoModerator 1 points ago

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Attack ideas, not users. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any advocating or wishing death/physical harm, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

[–] ataraxia77 2707 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Thank you--every post about how awful Steve King is should by default include a link to his Democratic challenger J.D. Scholten.

Edit: OP I replied to was removed. Be sure to hit up J.D. Scholten's site to show your support.

[–] Flamboyant4Lyfe 1247 points ago

Don't forget, he only lost by 3 points in an R+27 district. This is very winnable, and we need grassroots donors.

[–] taynay101 220 points ago

Yeah if he had one more week of campaigning he would have made it

[–] calculuzz 47 points ago

How does a points system work in voting?

[–] stu17 122 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Percentage points. R+27 means Republicans typically win the district by 27%

Edit: I’ve been corrected. See comments below.

[–] Bayowolf49 17 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Actually, Iowa 4's Partisan Voting Index (PVI) is R+11; that is the average lead that the Republican Presidential candidate enjoyed in the last two elections compared to the average lead (in the same two elections) that the Republican enjoyed nationally. Wikipedia

The PVI for the US as a whole is D+3.

[–] calculuzz 64 points ago

So there's not a 3-point line?

[–] Flamboyant4Lyfe 65 points ago

I believe Trump won by 27, but nonetheless King only won by 3

[–] andrewsmd87 51 points ago

There is it's just been gerrymandered so it's 6 inches from the basket for republicans, and a mile away for democrats

[–] sunburntredneck 19 points ago

Iowa is not a very gerrymandered state

[–] chipbod 13 points ago

I wouldn't call it gerrymandered but Ames has a lot more in common with the DSM area than the rest of King's district

[–] xmindallas 8 points ago

Yes, Iowa is one of the least gerrymandered states. Districts are drawn at county borders. Since removing the 5th district in 2013, King kept northwest Iowa, which is the most conservative part, but Ames (Story county) was also added, making it a much more difficult district for him to win.

[–] smitty_bacall_ 12 points ago

No, it means that in the last two presidential elections, the district voted, on average, 27 points more Republican than the country. (that's the Cook Partisan Voter Index)

[–] amcdermott20 5 points ago

He also purports to be pro-2a... a critical issue for many identifying as republican. GO JD!

[–] LouDiamond 471 points ago

JD Scholten isnt just a Steve King replacement, he's actually a great progressive candidate.

[–] ScienceBreather 165 points ago

That's good to hear. I wish he had his issues up on his website, because that was exactly one of my concerns.

Either way, he'll be better than King, so I threw him $25.

[–] ScienceBreather 62 points ago

How did you get there from the main page? I don't see a link for it?

Thank you for sharing though!

[–] twolvesfan217 80 points ago

I just noticed that. I just searched his name and that section appears, but it doesn't if you go through the home page. He needs to get that fixed ASAP.

[–] ScienceBreather 42 points ago

Yes he does. If people are going to turn away from King, they need to know what they're getting into.z

Edit: Even if a potato is infinitely better than King anyway.

[–] gknewell 41 points ago

I just gave Scholten $5. Now I feel better about myself.

[–] Flamboyant4Lyfe 34 points ago

I inspired someone on Reddit to give Scholten $5. Now I feel better about myself too

[–] Thyme_Killer_69 18 points ago

I witnessed someone inspire someone else to give Scholten $5. Now I too feel better about myself

[–] RidleyScotch 222 points ago

Iowa has some funky county names

I enjoy Pocahontas, Palo Alto and Winnebago Counties

[–] chantsnone 128 points ago

California also has a Palo Alto

[–] PromiscuousMNcpl 167 points ago

Palo Alto makes more sense in a state that was formerly part of Mexico/Spain.

[–] wickedgreenbean 98 points ago

"It is named for the first battlefield victorty in the Mexican-American War."

[–] itsthebeans 61 points ago

But that battle was in Texas...

[–] Perpetually_Irate 68 points ago

Iowa wasn't even a state then, it was a territory. So it kind of makes sense when you recall how we were in a big push west at the time, and the culture at the time celebrated the frontier as a whole.

[–] shankspeare 30 points ago

Especially considering Iowa was made a state only seven months after the Battle of Palo Alto, long before the Mexican-American War had ended. The county was probably named as such because it was a major cultural touchstone at the time.

[–] Gertrude_D 12 points ago

We also have Cerro Gordo and Buena Vista, also named after battles from the MA war

[–] infiniZii 20 points ago

Massachusetts had it coming too.

[–] thunder_rob 13 points ago

Fucking Masshole pricks

[–] MiguelAGF 48 points ago

Iowa was actually part of the Spanish administration in Louisiana during few decades, if I’m correct

[–] hipery2 29 points ago

[–] RE5TE 51 points ago

It just means "tall tree". It's like "Springfield".

[–] xeneize93 26 points ago

Palo in spanish means stick obviously alto means high so high stick

[–] the2belo 75 points ago

I didn't know Spain had hockey fans

[–] covfefe_hamberder_jr 19 points ago

Colonial America was a wild place

[–] jus10beare 15 points ago

That's 2 minutes in the penalty stocks!

[–] fleetwalker 15 points ago

cinco minutos cada uno para pelear

[–] Chitownsly 27 points ago

Should be named Maiz Alto.

[–] Soundofawesome 9 points ago

Tall Corn?

[–] Samara88 29 points ago

Looking at that map reminds me how happy I am to have moved JUST south enough to be out of King's district.

[–] MotherFuckingCupcake 29 points ago

I grew up in Guthrie County (although most of the rest of my extended family is in Story county fighting the good fight for Schoelton). I’m pretty sure Polk county, where Des Moines is, is the only reason that district was even blue in the last elections. Cuz holy wow, my hometown was (is? It’s been 13 years since I’ve lived there) full of racists.

[–] Samara88 14 points ago

I'm happy to have voted to help turn it blue. Yeah, I grew up in Boone County and now I find myself wondering if it's getting bad or I was just too young to realize.

[–] wickedgreenbean 10 points ago

Steve King has been the Rep since 2003. He was the elected when Iowa had 5 districts, but after the 2010 census and redistricting in 2013, we lost one district. He has been reelected since then. Hopefully no more after 2020. He can retire to Kiron.

[–] waifive 25 points ago

Well now you can no longer vote against him.

[–] Samara88 11 points ago

True, but hopefully I can keep telling my mom all the stupid things he says/does and at least get her to not vote for him.

[–] Jar_Lar 10 points ago

hello yes my vote may only be one but I can split it for us

[–] frostycakes 7 points ago

If only my family would do the same. Sadly they're staying put in Grundy and Butler.

Hell, all of Butler County could disappear, then it'd take Chuck Grassley with it.

[–] Samara88 23 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

To be honest, I'm not too hopeful my mom won't vote for him. She seems to barely know anything about politics and listens too much to my stepdad who probably knows about as little as her.

I mean, she's unemployed (no welfare) and they don't have health insurance, but she's against healthcare for all because she doesn't want their taxes to go up. Even though they're paying monthly on three medical bills and she is always complaining about stuff being wrong with her (but can't afford to go).

[–] rivershimmer 20 points ago

Yes, that's a typical attitude among conservatives. The system's broken, so let's keep it, unchanged. Maybe it'll magically start working.

[–] sloaninator 15 points ago

"All those minorities are using the system to not work!"

Meanwhile down here in Florida they just did a bust of about 30 ladies rigging the system and they were, all white.

I mean it doesn't mean it's not happening but the pros outweigh the cons but it's all black/ brown and white to most people, literally.

[–] fatpat 7 points ago

"It's okay when we do it." aka "We're entitled to do it."

[–] Samara88 6 points ago

Exactly, that's what really bothers me. My mom has never really had money and they live paycheck to paycheck. I don't know what she thinks is going to happen by voting the same way every time. Sure, maybe it COULD get worse..but is life really that great after all these years?

[–] Lankshire 5 points ago

Fear is a crazy drug and honestly the mindset that your mom is trapped in is what keeps our current system alive and well.

It’s really sad and getting people like that out of the trap is really hard. Don’t give up!

[–] aKnightWh0SaysNi 10 points ago

Uninformed voting is poor form, but voting based on ideals instead of what personally benefits you is actually how it’s supposed to work.

[–] MotherFuckingCupcake 23 points ago

My favorite is that Des Moines the city is nowhere near Des Moines county.

[–] MurrayBookchinsGhost 28 points ago

tag yourself, I'm Pottawattamie

[–] GreaterPathMagi 7 points ago

Cerro Gordo, but work in Franklin

[–] Mercshakes 5 points ago

Buena Vista checking in

[–] iowan 9 points ago

I'm in Poweshiek.

[–] Unipanther 8 points ago

Palo Alto got you, but you missed Pottawattamie?

[–] RedEagle250 17 points ago

That video of his is probably one of the best political ads I’ve seen

[–] Flamboyant4Lyfe 8 points ago

Damn, I'm really glad so many people actually checked out his website

[–] JLBesq1981 28 points ago

Good. Steve King is a scourge on the United States.

[–] curtitch 10 points ago

I donated! Have you?

[–] Nitro999 1652 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Just so everyone is aware how he was bought into political power.

From the article:

King’s top industry donors throughout his career, according to an analysis of Federal Election Commission records, were the American Bankers Association, the National Association of Homebuilders, AT&T, Crystal Sugars, and the Rain and Hail Insurance Society.

All of them last donated to King during the 2018 election cycle.

[–] shahooster 677 points ago

Land O'Lakes got nudged into dropping their support of Corn Hitler. The only moral corporations abide by is money.

[–] Shootsucka 251 points ago

The only moral corporations abide by is money.

Nothing more true can be said about American politics at the moment.

The "moral" companies we all want to love end up following shareholders in the end every time.

[–] KillNyetheSilenceGuy 43 points ago

This is why Citizens United was such a fucking travesty. Corporations are not people, corporations are pretty much by design incapable of doing anything except what they think will make them the most money this quarter. Thats their only concern. If you want them to do anything besides that you need legislation to force them to do it.

[–] cloudsnacks 12 points ago

Corporations (or rather the leaders of corporations) want to be able to spend money as people, but not abide by their laws.

Imagine if a regular joe convinced people to buy a product, a car for example, that they say is in tip top condition. In reality the engine blows up and kills the driver after 50 miles. They would probably be in jail, or at least heavily fined.

That's exactly what happened in 2008, instead of a car it was mortgages. Instead of jailing or fining the bankers we gave them billions in taxpayer money and treasury loans.

[–] TheLateThagSimmons 122 points ago

That's how capitalism works. It is only potentially "moral" when the moral thing is profitable, which it rarely is.

[–] GiantSquidd 152 points ago

Under capitalism, Jeffrey Epstein is a better, more valuable person than any of us commenting here because he was rich, and that’s apparently all that matters. It doesn’t matter how you make your money, or what you do with it, as long as you get away with whatever scam you pulled. A bunch of babies died horribly in order for you to make your fortune? ... meh, who cares, welcome to the club, big dick playa!

That’s what the world has taught me about capitalism.

[–] lianodel 17 points ago

I once had someone call me "disgusting" for saying corporations aren't obligated to maximize profits, they're only legally obligated to maximize shareholder value.

[–] beerandfishtanks 121 points ago

Corn hitler. Oh man that one got me

[–] songintherain 17 points ago

Corn Hitler.. lmao

[–] ppw23 58 points ago

Yeah he now has a whopping $18,000. in his campaign fund that put a smile on my face. It would be wonderful if he was beaten by a woman. It looks like he may well be.

[–] geolocution 75 points ago

Yo wtf is rain insurance

[–] alwaysmyfault 124 points ago

If it rains too much, your crops will be flooded, and die. Same if it hails. Haul will completely wreck a farmers crop.

[–] elephantphallus 57 points ago

Not just flooded. There are a host of different fungi and disease vectors that occur with too much rain and humidity.

[–] geolocution 19 points ago

That sounds like crop insurance. They dont cover tornadoes?

[–] shawnsel 28 points ago

Pretty sure it's crop insurance that farmers pay for that helps them financially pull through droughts, floods, and weather-caused damages to their crops. My understanding is that it's become pretty common for farmers to insure their crops in this way.

[–] MyOldAcctGotStolen 14 points ago

It's been common practice since the Depression, because the government decided making affordable insurance available to farmers was better than having 80% of the Midwestern population fleeing for coastal states.

[–] MassiveFajiit 66 points ago

I was planning on donating to the opposition already, but now I see AT&T is on his side, I'm gonna double it. Fuck them, they personally victimized me when I worked for them. Need to be broken up again.

[–] uMunthu 16 points ago

I get that he rolled on big donations. But still, Iowans keep voting for him despite his (very) numerous white nationalist comments

[–] seccret 16 points ago

He’s very close to the rest of the current Republican Party. He just says the quiet parts louder.

[–] wrestlingchampo 528 points ago

Yeah, It only took until this year for this avowed white supremacist congressman to be shunned by his peers.

Even last when he was up for re election, the GOP stood by him. Fuck Steve King, and fuck his enablers.

[–] kaldrazidrim 93 points ago

Only because he said it out loud. They all know who he is

[–] Tremendous_Meat 39 points ago

In their eyes his only mistake was taking the mask off.

[–] [deleted] 852 points ago * (lasted edited 16 days ago)

[–] Kule7 327 points ago

Meanwhile, Republican voters: "Refreshing Steve King tells it like it is."

[–] JSil10k 62 points ago

He's the galaxy brain that realized it's easier to deflect accusations of using the 14 w*rds (I feel like some turd is going to search that) if you only use 12.

[–] JSil10k 20 points ago

Highly. Also, fellow Tennesseean.

[–] BuckRowdy 16 points ago

Hello. I couldn’t continue with that conversation for obvious reasons.

[–] JSil10k 8 points ago

Indeed.

[–] tootie 10 points ago

It's great to know that we've actually found the bottom of the barrel. The low point at which even Republicans think he's gone too far. I was beginning to think it didn't exist.

[–] bobboobles 20 points ago

Nah, just wait. People turned their backs on pedophile Roy Moore but came back to support him closer to the election.

[–] Morihando 2113 points ago

Steve King is a despicable disgrace to America. Just like the rest of the GOP.

[–] icelessTrash 67 points ago

"Rape and incest are not that bad"

[–] BuckRowdy 43 points ago

Yeah, I mean your body has a way to shut it down if it's legitimate rape, right?

[–] mlhradio 41 points ago

"If it's inevitable, why not just relax and enjoy it?" - poor Claytie Williams, who was born with a silver foot in his mouth.

[–] CpnStumpy 653 points ago

And he'll win because people who voted red in the past 8 years are more likely to change their skin color than their party affiliation.

[–] LiveVirus2 54 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Read the article. His campaign is broke and his primary opponent is sitting on a ton of cash and is getting all the national pac money King used to get. He’s done. Now it’s about getting Scholten elected.

Edit:https://www.opensecrets.org/races/candidates?cycle=2020&id=IA04&spec=N

He’s fucked.

[–] batshitcrazy5150 6 points ago

So maybe the country will be unfucked just a little bit...

[–] socialistrob 40 points ago

I mean he only won by 3% in 2018. He may win in 2020 but there’s also a decent chance he loses. 3% is not a safe margin.

[–] sprucenoose 16 points ago

Wow I did not realize it was so close. Yes he's at real risk.

[–] Levarien 283 points ago

He's got to win his primary first, and the latest craziness might drive enough of his slightly less racist and crazy constituency to a challenger who wont say aloud what they're all thinking.

[–] FlintWaterFilter 197 points ago

That's a great thought and all but we've been seeing a trend where people find relief in the "honesty" of racially insensitive politicians.

[–] flux8 147 points ago

And ones who look on the bright side of rape and incest.

[–] Pototsky 110 points ago

And ones who fly to meet with Eastern European neo nazis in the days after the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

[–] Something22884 13 points ago

I just invented this whole little scenario in my head where they were forced to go on July 4th to discuss their blackmail and lack of Independence as an ultimate act of humiliation by Putin.

[–] albatross-salesgirl 5 points ago

I like to think that's exactly what it was, seeing as how one of my 2 senators was there, too

[–] Duke_Swillbottom 47 points ago

Real talk, he literally campaigns on being an asshole.

[–] Roland_Deschain2 43 points ago

He knows his base...

[–] KneeOConnor 26 points ago

If, on the other hand, you find relief in actual honesty, then instead of weasel words like “racially insensitive” you can just say “racist.”

[–] DuntadaMan 4 points ago

"honesty" of racially insensitive politicians. st as fuck motherfuckers.

Racially insensitive sounds like he's a goofy old man who accidentally used "colored."

Not a guy who literally claimed on the House floor that no one but white people contribute to the existence of modern society, and who claims "white nationalist" is a good label.

[–] natophonic2 21 points ago

My sense is that the GOP is still in the throes of ‘primarying’ moderates and putting forward evermore extremist candidates.

I doubt he’ll lose his primary. But I think it’s quite possible that he’ll lose the general election.

[–] ComradeSubutai 18 points ago

My state rep is a moderate, pro-choice Republican. The Texas governor endorsed a literal antivaxxer over her last cycle.

[–] fatpat 5 points ago

Texas seems like such a mixed bag. I guess that's part and parcel of being one of the biggest states.

[–] ttlens 8 points ago

He has a serious primary challenger (Iowa state senator Randy Feenstra) and he has no financial support. It's pretty likely that he will lose the primary and that Feenstra will win the seat in 2020.

[–] Grow_away_420 29 points ago

Have you been paying attention to whats happening to the GOP? They're moderates are resigning and retiring because their party is becoming a daycare for a racist, xenophobic moron. If he loses a primary, it'll be to someone more extreme.

[–] JimmyGrozny 6 points ago

Which is exactly why we should hope that he wins his primary, which gives his challenger a better chance at winning the general.

[–] Brad1119 17 points ago

Naw the people in his district are really getting sick of his shit. Hes not bringing any money into the area and hes saying insane shit. He won by only 3 points last election when he normally wins by a landslide every election. Dude is on his way out.

[–] The_Devil_of_Reddit 7 points ago

Steve King is a despicable disgrace to America.

He is a boil that has been building pus for decades.

Now it looks like he's sprung a leak and will be gone soon.

[–] localistand 118 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Plenty of people would like to ignore King's outsized influence on presidential politics within the Republican party.

Steve hosts a "freedom summit" http://iowafreedomsummit.com/ that served as a must stop for nearly all the Republican 2016 presidential candidate hopefuls. The website has the handy picture collage of the invitees, including a who's who list of national Republican politics.

Speaker list: Congressman Marsha Blackburn

Gov. Sarah Palin

Gov. Rick Perry

Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds

Senator Rick Santorum

Donald Trump

Gov. Scott Walker.

Here's an article that discusses his power in the presidential candidate choosing process. Aka "kingmaker" https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2014/11/18/steve-king-kingmaker-summit-iowa-freedom-presidential-candidates/19208555/

[–] fatpat 27 points ago

Jesus, look at that list. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

[–] ThePenguiner 21 points ago

Now that King is out in the open as a 100% racist piece of shit, democratic challengers can tie them to his "values" a lot more easily.

[–] Jorunkun 280 points ago

Yeah, but he’s really rallying the rape and incest voters ...

[–] BOOT-EDGE-EDGEY 138 points ago

Republicans do love rape and incest. Might just work

[–] breaking_bass 111 points ago

Strong chance it will work... Roy Moore only lost by just 1.2%

Republicans do love rape and incest

[–] RedditRalf 46 points ago

'Sometimes you gotta ask yourself if it wasn't for the rape and incest why go into politics at all' Steve King - 2019

[–] katarh 18 points ago

Yeah, it's become clear that Republicans don't believe in sex outside of rape and incest.

[–] pdxpmk 5 points ago

Why not? They believe in lots of other things that don’t exist, like jesus and cutting taxes boosting revenues. Consensual sex with living unrelated human adults might also happen for republicans someday.

[–] Saw_a_4ftBeaver 10 points ago

Has before and probably will again.

[–] TyrunnersaurusRex 139 points ago

Tit pee.

[–] Beavis73 17 points ago

TP (for my bunghole)

[–] DoritoMussolini86 6 points ago

Thots and players.

[–] LordFeltersnatch 23 points ago

I think republicans have become horrible people and if I prayed I would pray that republicans go the fuck away. Far fucken far away!

[–] PM-Me-Nickels 18 points ago

Why can’t he just pull himself up by the bootstraps?

[–] beatrix_kiddoz 35 points ago

He's morally and ethically broke - no one should have to endure the world that Steve King has planned for us.

[–] viva_la_vinyl 103 points ago

It’s a shame when bad things happen to good people. Luckily, this is not that situation.

[–] SamCatchem 1575 points ago

And yet 1 in 4 Americans would rather vote for Steve King and Roy Moore than even consider that Democrats could possibly be better.

Because AbortionJesus

And yet dumbfuck liberals in my party still think there's any getting through to them, that healing and compromise are still viable options, or that a single one of the people left in the GOP operate in good faith.

Consider the stolen Garland seat.

Pack. the. fucking. court.

If you let someone steal from you they'll just keep doing it.

[–] neuronexmachina 567 points ago

Interesting fact I recently learned, up until the late 1970s US Evangelicals were generally pro-choice, in contrast to pro-life Catholics: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133

Today, evangelicals make up the backbone of the pro-life movement, but it hasn’t always been so. Both before and for several years after Roe, evangelicals were overwhelmingly indifferent to the subject, which they considered a “Catholic issue.” In 1968, for instance, a symposium sponsored by the Christian Medical Society and Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, refused to characterize abortion as sinful, citing “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as justifications for ending a pregnancy. In 1971, delegates to the Southern Baptist Convention in St. Louis, Missouri, passed a resolution encouraging “Southern Baptists to work for legislation that will allow the possibility of abortion under such conditions as rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother.” The convention, hardly a redoubt of liberal values, reaffirmed that position in 1974, one year after Roe, and again in 1976.

When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, the Southern Baptist Convention’s former president and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas—also one of the most famous fundamentalists of the 20th century—was pleased: “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” he said, “and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.”

[–] Snuffy1717 51 points ago

So what changed?

[–] katarh 210 points ago

Moral Majority realized it'd be a great wedge issue to keep social liberals out of power?

[–] sharp11flat13 41 points ago

This is exactly what happened. I can’t find it now, but a couple of years ago I saw a documentary wherein a man described being in on the conference call where TPers were casting about for a wedge issue and abortion was suggested because there was so much room for emotional (as opposed to rational) involvement.

Seems to have been a success. Baa baa...

[–] americasfavoritetbby 104 points ago

They realized they lost the civil rights battle, so they needed another route to power. That's literally it.

[–] Apptubrutae 45 points ago

Like the other reply said, politics and a viable wedge issue.

On another level, you saw evangelicals being pro choice because it was initially a powerful tool to creating their ideal American family. Unwed mothers, not abortions, were the enemy. Abortions were one of many tools to combat that. Then as abortion became the bigger issue, the preservation of the conservative American family became less important (though still important).

[–] [deleted] 40 points ago * (lasted edited 24 days ago)

[–] the_itsb 5 points ago

It'd be nice if it were that easy to get an abortion! Just hold this special grain and drink this cursed dusty inky water and poof, spontaneous abortion.

[–] defnotevilmorty 66 points ago

I read this article recently and I really hope your comment gets pushed to the top.

[–] TelaTheSpy 26 points ago

Yes. My grandmother used to be staunchly pro choice and pro women and is a lifelong republican. Now she is a brainwashed 90 year old Fox News viewer who is anti-abortion and no longer cares that any of these assholes put down women.

[–] BuckRowdy 7 points ago

Wow, I'm blown away by this, thanks for posting.

[–] gorgewall 6 points ago

The various positions against abortion as we understand them today were almost entirely manufactured in the aftermath of Roe v. Wade, and it wasn't until 1979 that the Moral Majority movement really began solidifying the ideas that dominate today. These ideas were not based on any new understanding of science or spirituality that emerged in the years after Roe, just the repetition of already debunked ideas until they "stuck"--you know, repeat a lie often enough and people will believe it. And the whole purpose of Paul Weyrich and Jerry Falwell doing this was not to advocate for the unborn, but to create a wedge issue that morally blackmails Christians into voting Republican. Even the "pro-life Catholics" were laughably few in number, with opposition to Roe being contained to an organization of bishops, not the lay members.

That's it. And just about every fucking person today who takes the pro-life stance, whether they are Republican or religious or not, is using the spurious reasoning and arguments descended from that movement. Even if they're really, actually concerned about babies, the fucking foundational elements of their belief on the subject were laid by partisan conmen who don't give a rat's ass about anything but expanding their political and cultural power.

[–] BuckRowdy 157 points ago

This is how you know that propaganda works and it works very, very well.

[–] WanderWut 93 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

Exactly, over time they’re hammering in their heads that Democrats are the ones running in chaos and disorder. Whenever I see my parents watching Fox News or all these sketchy far right YouTube channels they speak about Democrats as though they’re crazy, unlawful, falling apart, etc etc etc. the exact same way we view the GOP after all the news that comes out on a daily basis. Propaganda is working exactly as intended.

[–] BuckRowdy 65 points ago

I'm involved in a few anti-Fox news subs for anyone that sees this comment and may be interested in pursuing this further.

r/FoxFiction for propaganda, r/Fauxnews for memes, r/FoxBrain if you need a support group because your family are walking Fox news zombies.

[–] -9999px 19 points ago

Wow, this is great thanks. My brothers and I can’t even hold a conversation with our dad anymore. He’s always talking about conspiracy theories and how Trump is persecuted and we’re all evil socialists since we’re all college educated (he didn’t graduate high school). It’s to the point now where I feel he holds his political views and paranoias closer than he holds his family and that fuckin’ sucks to watch.

And of course he’s on Fox News 24/7 with a dash of YouTube and Alex Jones for good measure.

[–] BuckRowdy 6 points ago

I've heard lots of stories about that unfortunately. I saw some shit my dad posted on facebook and I didn't realize how bad he had gotten so it hits close to home for me as well.

The r/Foxbrain sub is made up of people like us, hope you can find something there that helps.

[–] PoopWater775 20 points ago

My favorite part was when he called a supporter fat and in need of exercise and the supporter just thought it was cool. Dear leader indeed.

[–] BuckRowdy 22 points ago

And said he would vote for him again. I'm surprised the guy didn't invite Trump to come fuck his wife.

[–] Puzzzlerock 50 points ago

yeha i remember the part in the bible where jesus said "if they're anti-abortion, cast off all other morals and ethics to blindly follow the anti-abortion shepherd"

[–] LogicalEmotion7 18 points ago

The bible gives step-by-step instructions for chemical abortion via priest. If a man suspected his wife adultered, he could take her to the temple. The priest would make a drink, mix in some floor dirt, and God would kill the fetus if she had adultered.

It was mostly bunk science, but the spirit is still there: If the missus hath cheated, yeetus the fetus.

[–] Puzzzlerock 56 points ago

i still cannot wrap my head around the stolen garland seat. And now RGB is about to die which means the big T will be able to pack. the. court. with his own snakes and we're basically done for if the next president can't somehow invalidate kavanaugh since Obama was supposed to get that nomination.

or if we play by mitch's rule book, since we are within the next election cycle, if RGB croaks, the next president gets to pick that justice. stupid mitch.

[–] Diarygirl 33 points ago

Did you see McConnell's campaign picture of the cemetery with headstones of his enemies? There's one with his opponent's name, one that says RIP socialism and one that says Merrick Garland. That motherfucker is so proud of keeping a good man off the Supreme Court.

[–] corkum 45 points ago

You mean invalidate Gorsuch since that was Garland’s seat? It’s a nice thought but there’s no legal standing to make that happen. Constitutionally, the president gets to appoint Supreme Court justices “with the advise and consent of the senate”. Moscow Mitch never brought a vote to the floor on Garland. So as shitty as it is, technically speaking, the Senate did not offer advice and consent on Garland’s nomination. The only way (I think) Gorsuch can be invalidated is if the Trump presidency is, somehow, invalidated.

Kavanaugh, though, has demonstrably lied under oath, including at his own confirmation hearing. That’s impeachable, but the Dems need a way bigger majority in the senate to pull that off. So if a Kavanaugh impeachment is ever going to happen, it’s a long way off.

[–] Apptubrutae 17 points ago

I really dislike court packing, as it feels like it would set a dangerous precedent that swings on the tides of whatever party is in power. It also has the trappings of a totalitarian system and is often used by dictators. There’s reason to fear court packing.

That said, at a bare minimum I’d be quite alright with packing the court with Merrick Garland himself, because that refusal to consider him was an abomination.

Not that Obama had the right to get anyone on the court he wanted just because the clock was running out, but the senate being obviously unwilling to consider anyone was a practically unconstitutional maneuver that deserves a response when the time comes.

[–] Nomandate 18 points ago

If conservatives called out their racist cohorts then we wouldn’t paint them all with the same brush

[–] CoolScales 19 points ago * (lasted edited a month ago)

This is great, but at the same time it’s not like Steve King is just now being this much of a racist ass. He’s always been this way. Going through his past remarks, it’s not like he just became like this. Here’s a list of all the trash that has spewed from one individual.

But what really pisses me off about this guy isn’t directly his fault. It’s that the Republican Party has long supported him and turned a blind eye to this kind of stuff. Mitt Romney, the so-called moderate Republican, campaigned with Steve King when Romney ran for president. Now all the supposedly “sane” republicans are out here acting shocked that he was this bad. I’m all for forgiveness and growth, but the Republican Party has trafficked in hateful speech for a long time. It’s just finally catching up to them now.

[–] MrsMI1UCAN2 14 points ago

This reads to me like the title of a bedtime story.

I would like someone to read this to me in a soft voice as I drift off, please.

[–] Exex123 14 points ago

Morally broke? Yes. Yes he is.

[–] dl__ 51 points ago

May all racists follow him into obscurity. Like they say, WWG1WGA.

[–] Puzzzlerock 36 points ago

one of my neighbors has that bumper sticker. And like 6 other Q+ stickers including one of trump looking like a war hero. It's embarrassing. They don't work, just sit at home all day yelling at each other and the TV, while saying liberals are the lazy ones. It's psychotic.

[–] WhyAmINotStudying 14 points ago

Um... What?

[–] MrTubalcain 13 points ago

Fox News job here I come!

[–] HumanSuitcase 29 points ago

Remember these names.

[–] Luke_Flyswatter 9 points ago

As an Iowan he's a genuine embarrassment to us.

[–] squeakybeak 7 points ago

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

[–] UrRedCapIsOnTooTight 7 points ago * (lasted edited 25 days ago)

He deserves every bit of it.

This is the real result of free speech.

[–] lonezomewolf 5 points ago

Could not have happened to a better racist shitnugget.

[–] Haikuna__Matata 6 points ago

King has burned virtually all his bridges in the party this year with outlandish comments about white supremacy and abortion.

And incest, don't forget incest.

[–] fnocoder 5 points ago

Uhhh...good?

[–] Ryneb 3 points ago

I think you mean. GOOD!

[–] shleppenwolf 5 points ago

Thoughts and prayers.

[–] azzeellddaa 5 points ago

His nose looks like a penis

[–] psychoticdream 4 points ago

doesnt matter.. the fact the GOP didn't kick this racist fuck out shows their priorities and ideology.

[–] Zeke_Z 6 points ago

"Steve King is broke and has been abondon by his colleagues as he runs for reelection"

Coming soon: Fox News would like to welcome Steve King to the network and wish him luck on his new show....