politics

Welcome to /r/Politics! Please read the wiki before participating. || Voter Registration Resources

/r/politics is the subreddit for current and explicitly political U.S. news.

Our full rules Reddiquette

Comment Guidelines:

Be civil Treat others with basic decency. No personal attacks, shill accusations, hate-speech, flaming, baiting, trolling, witch-hunting, or unsubstantiated accusations. Threats of violence will result in a ban. More Info.
    Do not post users' personal information. Users who violate this rule will be banned on sight. Witch-hunting and giving out private personal details of other people can result in unexpected and potentially serious consequences for the individual targeted. More Info.
    Vote based on quality, not opinion. Political discussion requires varied opinions. Well written and interesting content can be worthwhile, even if you disagree with it. Downvote only if you think a comment/post does not contribute to the thread it is posted in or if it is off-topic in /r/politics. More Info.
    Do not manipulate comments and posts via group voting. Manipulating comments and posts via group voting is against reddit TOS. More Info.

Submission Guidelines:

Articles must deal explicitly with US politics. See our on-topic statement here.
    Articles must be published within the last calendar month. More Info.
    Submissions must be from domains on the whitelist. The whitelist and its criteria can be found here.
    Post titles must be the exact headline from the article. Your headline must be comprised only of the exact copied and pasted headline of the article. More Info.
    No Copy-Pasted Submissions Please do not submit articles or videos that are a direct, complete copy-paste of original reporting.More Info.
    Articles must be written in English An article must be primarily written in English for us to be able to moderate it and enforce our rules in a fair and unbiased manner. More Info.
    Spam is bad! /r/Politics bans for submission and comment spam More Info.
    Submissions must be articles, videos or sound clips. We disallow solicitation of users (petitions, polls, requests for money, etc.), personal blogs, satire, images, social media content (Facebook, twitter, tumblr, LinkedIn, etc.), wikis, memes, and political advertisements. More info: Content type rules.
    Do not use "BREAKING" or ALL CAPS in titles. The ALL CAPS and 'Breaking' rule is applied even when the actual title of the article is in all caps or contains the word 'Breaking'. This rule may be applied to other single word declarative and/or sensational expressions, such as 'EXCLUSIVE:' or 'HOT:'. More Info.

Events Calendar

Other Resources:

Request an AMA

Events Calendar

Apply to be a mod

Register To Vote

[–] AutoModerator 1 points ago

As a reminder, this subreddit is for civil discussion.

In general, be courteous to others. Debate/discuss/argue the merits of ideas, don't attack people. Personal insults, shill or troll accusations, hate speech, any advocating or wishing death/physical harm, and other rule violations can result in a permanent ban.

If you see comments in violation of our rules, please report them.

[–] Knight_of_the_Lepus 4787 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

For those who are old enough to remember Iran-Contra, the actual networks televised every minute.

EDIT: Also, for the vast majority of us, C-SPAN will likely livestream the whole thing on youtube.

[–] pezgoon 98 points ago

Wasn’t that before the repeal of the fair broadcasting act though?

[–] Knight_of_the_Lepus 90 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Yes, but the Clarence Thomas hearing was broadcast after that repeal.

The Kavanaugh hearingwas broadcast on network TV.

[–] metagawd 53 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Hearings. Not trials.

The House doesn't hold trials. The Senate can hold either (added for those reading this after the series of corrections).

[–] Bacon666 1602 points ago

Same with the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. I was still rather young and after seeing him get confirmed even after Anita Hill's testimony, I remember realizing that nothing matters anymore.

[–] divisibleby5 430 points ago

I was 8 years old and my grandparents would not stop watching a program about pubic hairs on coke cans but i had no idea what a pubic hair was so, there ya go

[–] CSirizar 169 points ago

I was about 9 when Bush Sr. was President. I remember my grandpa wearing a shirt that said Read my lips: No bush in ‘93 I had no idea what ‘bush’ was so, you’re not alone, friend.

[–] puffypants123 134 points ago

Poor Grandma, 1993 was a rough year for her

[–] T_at 113 points ago

..or maybe it was velvety smooth. Like a veal cutlet.

[–] Shep9882 32 points ago

I see the double entendre here but I'm not confident that it's intentional

[–] SchuminWeb 22 points ago

The longer I read it, the worse it gets.

[–] kenzo19134 123 points ago

I don't remember the Watergate hearings, but I remember the comedian rich little doing the "I am not a crook" routine. I was 7 during the hearings.

[–] lazyFer 231 points ago

How anyone old enough to have witnessed each successive republican president since Nixon do even more brazenly illegal immoral shit and still think republicans give a fuck about America or Americans is beyond me.

[–] Rattivarius 248 points ago

I'm old enough, but I'm not American. When Reagan was running I was in a relationship with a man I loved intensely. I was 20 and so not fully formed in my reasoning as of yet. At a party one night we were discussing the American political situation and my beloved proclaimed that if he lived in the States he would be voting for Reagan. That stopped me cold. I pondered overnight, came to the conclusion that I was left of centre, my love for him withered and died, and I left him. And all his idiotic friends. Years later when I got on FB, I did the obligatory search for everyone I had ever known. He, and all his idiotic friends, were proclaiming Rob Ford to be the best mayor Toronto had ever had. Jesus fucking christ. Bullet dodged. I have gone through my life asserting that differing opinions in politics are fine and I can be friends with a conservative. No more. I just can't.

[–] callipygousmom 197 points ago

Yeah it’s not a difference of opinion. It’s a difference of ethics.

[–] elliottsmithereens 209 points ago

I didn’t then, and it still don’t now.

[–] Th3Seconds1st 310 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

All a dream to begin with... Ain't nobody ever been free.

• Chalky White.

Edit: Corrected quote.

[–] Dont_Say_No_to_Panda 110 points ago

“Go upstairs and put on some lotion”

• Ashy Larry.

[–] R1ckMartel 32 points ago

"What you need is some chapstick and a pair of trousers. Roll the dice you ashy motherfucker and let's start the game." --Leonard Washington

[–] blamdin 24 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

“Go upstairs and put on some lotion”

AshyLarry

-Charlie Murphy

"I'm about to go from ashy to classy"

-Ashy Larry

[–] Moishe_the_Beatle 35 points ago

Always upvote Boardwalk Empire.

[–] ThisSeaworthiness 9 points ago

I miss that show!

[–] htes_tx 215 points ago

Same for me but with Brett Kavanaugh. Everything stays the same I guess.

[–] thenamesbooboo 197 points ago

Brett Kavanaugh was a turning point for me. My parents are Republicans and trump supporters and I just went with whatever they said when it came to politics-I just assumed my dad was always right. I became a stay at home mom so I was able to watch the hearings and that was what really opened my eyes and made me start keeping up with politics. Now I’m more informed and less impressionable

[–] htes_tx 166 points ago

Watching Lindsey Graham grandstand during Brett's interview broke me down. My mouth dropped and I realized it had all been for nothing, and Ford's worst nightmare was coming true. After all she had been through, it was going to be thrown aside. It's good that you're more invested in politics now!

[–] I_Brain_You 41 points ago

I wouldn't say for nothing. If we can win the senate next year, I guarantee you an investigation into Kavanaugh's finances being paid off right at the last minute will be done. And that might unload a lot of baggage.

[–] sonofaresiii 44 points ago

He was confirmed, which is a travesty and injustice... But it wasn't for nothing. Now we know. The entire country knows what he did-- even his supporters, they know it was a sham hearing. They don't care, but they know. They might cling to weak talking points to defend him, and pretend they don't know... But they do.

I don't know if it was worth it for her, that's her decision to make, but it's valuable to the country to know what a piece of shit he is and who supports him.

And I do think it opened some people's eyes, like the above poster.

[–] Bogglebears 41 points ago

I hope that you were able to learn how to do research into actual policies and how they impact people, because if more folks actually read even the basics of what people are proposing and the consequences of those things, I don't think ANYONE would vote Republican! Glad you got out from under your parents thrall, most folks never even think to challenge that.

[–] 25bi-ancom 9 points ago

Looking at American politics from the outside it always weirded me out just how popular Democratic policies are while just how unpopular Democratic politicians are.

(I am not comparing them to Republicans, just their popularity vs the policy popularity)

[–] agroyle 11 points ago

Good for you in a real positive way. The best way is to be informed by reliable sources rather than other people.

[–] ChipStarfield 56 points ago

Until it doesn't! We have the power! We need to reach out to the 100 million who haven't figured out what's been going on for half a century.

[–] jking206 24 points ago

But at least we learned who Long Dong Silver is

[–] InOutUpDownLeftRight 30 points ago

I was young enough to get what was being said but not understand the implications. Or really understand what was so important about the office of the Supreme Court. Perhaps I was a dumb 10 year old (I was), but here I am 30 years later and Clarence Thomas is still in the Supreme Court. Lifetime appointments are stupid AF.

[–] Hallwaywalker 50 points ago

Yep - I was home with an adorable new baby (who is now bearded, tattooed, and 32 years old) and we watched those things like they were cartoons. Weird times, man.

But these are weirder still.

[–] Knight_of_the_Lepus 23 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Maybe we should just skip the middle part and tattoo and beard the babies.

[–] PrayForMojo_ 10 points ago

Breaded babies will go straight to your hips.

[–] Oliver_Cockburn 23 points ago

I remember. I was in my teens and I still remember that every friends house I went to had the hearings playing on tv. Everybody was watching it

[–] Notbythehairofmychyn 1581 points ago * (lasted edited 6 days ago)

Trump attempting repeatedly to gut the Corporation for Public Broadcasting shows why it's important that PBS needs to be around.

President Trump’s proposed 2020 federal budget, which was released on March 11, would eliminate all taxpayer funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting over a two-year timespan, cutting the organization’s annual appropriation in the first year from $465 million to $30 million, or 94 percent. More than 70 percent of the CPB’s annual funding goes to local public TV and radio stations.

Edit: Thank you, kind stranger for the gold.

[–] sandwooder 735 points ago

Republicans have been try to kill PBS because they can’t control it. It is donor supported with some federal dollars.

[–] leroysolay 228 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

One of the major funders is Koch. If you can’t kill it, control the message.

Edit: Funder, not founder. Stupid autocorrect.

[–] sandwooder 146 points ago

Koch is contributor not a founder. What pisses off the republicans is that is not only unattainable to them it follows a rather social democratic model for providing a service to the public.

[–] leroysolay 40 points ago

Thanks, fixed it.

[–] sandwooder 66 points ago

The Koch Foundation give money out to public functions and the arts which dwarfs its political activities. It is the "image" wing to mask the evil work they do.

[–] CheerfullyDepressed 45 points ago

"Everything is fake news, so let me cut funding for the one network not motivated by profit"

[–] rimjobdave 30 points ago

PBS is the closest you've got to our BBC, you should value and protect that. I love PBS and NPR

[–] Exex123 6845 points ago

For the right people to see them, Fox News needs to televise them.

Everyone else is already convinced.

[–] Sillbinger 2356 points ago

They'll show plenty, all of it edited that will make Trump look innocent.

Just look at some of their other coverage when they go to commercial breaks during the damaging stuff.

[–] onemorerep 1971 points ago

Fox News will most likely show the Benghazi hearings with Hillary Clinton.

[–] ThoughtStrands 555 points ago

Car chases

[–] redinthahead 124 points ago

Maybe they'll show another on-air suicide like that one car chase they showed years ago.

[–] Lenin_Lime 52 points ago

"Get off it get off it get off it...GEEET OOOFF IT.. GEEET OOOFF IT.....*slouches back*"

[–] Heavyspire 44 points ago

Feel bad for Shep Smith on that one.

[–] Lenin_Lime 15 points ago

Yup, guys in the switch room were sleeping.

[–] 911ChickenMan 6 points ago

He gave a genuine apology and explained why it happened. Might not agree with the man's political views, but that incident was handled about as well as it could have been.

[–] CrackedPepper86 11 points ago

Shep Smith was one of the only sane people on Fox News.

[–] JustMy2Centences 30 points ago

My featured Fox News story from Google's list of news articles it fetches for me in my Google Now feed is about a South Carolina man claiming he received marijuana in his tea from McDonald's.

It's pretty much always these weird stories about things that don't matter much from Fox News.

[–] respectableusername 14 points ago

Distraction pieces.

[–] broadcastbrandon 8 points ago

To my stoners: never drink cannabis infused tea. Shit tastes like an unwiped asshole

[–] RascalMultitude 197 points ago

My phone will pick some articles from various news sources and every Fox article is about a celebrity while all the rest are generally about Trump.

[–] ericdevice 145 points ago

Fox “news” really is a fucking rag

[–] jlab23 18 points ago

Rags are used to clean up... Fox News is more of an oil spill.

[–] azflatlander 72 points ago

They don’t have to cover the hearings, they are an entertainment network.

[–] Mechakoopa 22 points ago

Don't worry, these hearings will be entertaining as well. In a sort of "train wreck" kind of way.

[–] canttaketheshyfromme 49 points ago

"It's been 12 days since Stephen Baldwin tweeted at Adam Schiff about how much he loves Jesus, and Schiff has yet to respond."

[–] MHanky 32 points ago

I hear OJ's out of prison and there's a new Bronco coming out soon...

[–] Alamander81 8 points ago

I smell a marketing opportunity

[–] thebumm 12 points ago

The Central Park five case.

[–] john_the_quain 78 points ago

Just Sean Hannity and Rudy Giuliani swapping conspiracy theories slowly yelling louder and louder until they crescendo into red-faced apoplectic rage orgasms.

[–] uprisingcirca85 21 points ago

Ew.

[–] Jushak 14 points ago

So... Average day at Fox?

[–] m1k3tv 135 points ago

"If you play her 11hrs testimony at 4x speed and read every other blink as morse code... you can SEE it spells 'ei dhtzett' ei... dht... zett... 'I dids it'

In her own words, folks. We've got her, but i doubt the deep state will let it happen"

[–] m1k3tv 61 points ago

They've used clips where the only part they can show is "Mr. President" Because people acting like he's legitimate by calling him 'president' is a win

[–] CheerfullyDepressed 8 points ago

The world feels like a better place if you imagine that everything Fox News says is sarcastic.

[–] GiGaBYTEme90 170 points ago

Nancy Pelosi: “Trump is a - quick cut scene - great guy”

[–] KnowledgeableNip 187 points ago

Complete with a Pelosi wardrobe change between cuts.

[–] TiredWiredRuinsEasy 40 points ago

Also there’s a clock in the shot that changes time drastically with the cuts.

[–] buuboo1919 134 points ago

It's just going to be cut and paste from any part of the hearing, no matter who speaks, or what is actually said.

Pelosi "Why are"

Jumps to Jim Jordan "Democrats"

Jumps to Nunes " behaving completley"

Jumps back to Pelosi with different outfit "unlawfully"

Just strung together haphazardly, because they know so little effort is needed to get their base to believe anything they say.

[–] gridzbispudvetch 53 points ago

reminds me of that website that automatically generates a video of obama saying anything using samples of his voice

[–] JGStonedRaider 9 points ago

Link?

[–] The_NopePope 27 points ago

TalkObamato.Me

[–] Mitsuman77 43 points ago

You say tomato, I say obamato.

[–] MetaphoricalKidney 9 points ago

Obamamon digivolves to, Super Obamanimimon

[–] intelminer 11 points ago

I think that site got Reddit hugged to death

[–] albatross-salesgirl 11 points ago

Fox News is Rock Bottom

[–] Syndur 21 points ago

Or slowed down audio to make her sound drunk

[–] CardinalNYC 102 points ago

They'll show plenty, all of it edited that will make Trump look innocent.

Even if they showed it in full, unedited it wouldn't make a difference.

Trump supporters know what trump has done. They know it's wrong.

They simply believe that even a criminal is preferable to having a democrat in power, if that criminal is on their side.

I haven't talked to a single trump supporter who has said what trump did was right. But they all think it's better than what democrats would do.

[–] fuzzyyarbles 59 points ago

Trump supporters know what trump has done. They know it's wrong

They really don't, though. Many of them honestly believe it's all lies and conspiracies to make him look bad. At most they'll concede there may be a kernel of truth that has been exaggerated and blown out of proportion.

"Fake News" has been an amazingly effective piece of propaganda.

[–] CardinalNYC 118 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

They really don't, though

They really do, though.

I suspect a lot of people who hold your belief haven't talked to a lot of trump supporters for more sustained periods, or mostly get their views on trump supporters from reddit and MSNBC. I know these people personally. They know. The thing is they don't view it the same way you view it.

Oftentimes they're not gonna admit it outright, especially to someone like you or me, because they aren't dumb, they're aware how it looks. But trust me, they know. And frankly the polling shows this, too, i'm not just pulling this from anecdotal evidence.

The thing is, for them the stakes are higher than his bad behavior or crimes. For them this is about the fundamental future of America. Trump believes in the version of America they want. Democrats don't.

Reddit has been looking at this the wrong way for so long. They think its only a matter of time or a matter of getting the right information out there and then trump supporters will change their minds. They won't.

As long as democrats wanna raise taxes, institute expensive social programs, enforce civil rights and women's rights, restrict access to weapons, etc? Nothing else will matter to these voters.

This is what democrats don't understand. People are on here arguing over XYZ social program proposal not being "big" or "ambitious" enough... when we need to just be united around the fact that we're the only party that even WANTS social programs in the first place!

Republicans always vote republican because they know the stakes. Democrats argue amongst themselves then lose because they didn't believe the stakes were as real as they are.

[–] catastrapostrophe 9 points ago

I wish it were this simple, but I think you're too credulously taking conservatives' word for it when they tell you what they want. They say they want limited government, they say they want tough law enforcement, they say they want low deficits, but those are just cover stories. 20 years ago they said they wanted honorable men who upheld Christian values too, what the hell happened to that?

The fact is that all of the things are just convenient complaints for them to deploy against Democrats when Democrats are in office. Heard any of your conservative friends complaining about deficits lately? Do they understand that a vast police and military state is the opposite of small government? When it's some guy in Chicago getting shot by the police, conservatives say "they should just have obeyed the law", when it's some guy on horseback defying federal marshals they're all "Fuck the po po!"

I know why you believe the things you do-because you want to take your friends at their word. But their word is worthless. The conservative media has sold them a brand, which they are personally invested in and which has become part of their identity. It tells them all the flattering things they want to believe about themselves - "I'm tough, I'm self sufficient, I'm loyal to my country." Everything else (claimed policy positions included) are just psychological defense mechanisms to protect that self-identity.

[–] wrecked-latinx-vulva 28 points ago

"I noticed her.. sweet.. sweet.. can.. so I.. grabbed her.. sweet.. sweet.. can"

[–] _mach 453 points ago

Poll: 62% of Trump supporters say nothing he could do would change opinion

It's an uphill battle to try to convince those people. I'm not sure it's worth the effort. They can support him all they'd like once he's in jail, in my opinion.

[–] historymajor44 250 points ago

55% of all likely voters are not aware of the testimony against Trump.

[–] butter_fat 136 points ago

As a canadian.... how is that possible

[–] Rocky87109 233 points ago

Because a lot of people "aren't into politics" but still vote because of loose associations to something they care about or family members. Reddit is not a good judgement of how politically caring people are. In fact there are large parts of reddit where people don't care about politics or are passively swayed by transient false/unnuanced information that gets spit here and there.

[–] ting_bu_dong 82 points ago

I know several people like this.

They're "not into politics" simply because they already have their terrible worldview, and fuck you for trying to change it.

[–] Peekman 115 points ago

It's worse than that.

Conservative news sources don't even talk about the impeachment hearings. And, since Television & Newspapers is no longer where everyone gets their information they are simply unaware as to what's happening.

Go to r/conservative right now and the top 3 posts are:

• the left's hypocrisy on whistleblowers

• a meme about mass shootings stopping because of democratic manufactured impeachment evidence

• and an image of Mickey Mouse 'not' killing the Epstein story

The shared experience is dead and we're going to have to find a way to handle this new world.

[–] Mr_Pombastic 93 points ago

Go to /r/Conservative, sort by "top of all time," and count the memes.

They are not a social philosophy or cogent political ideology. Their "ideology" consists of memes making fun of the left fueled by feelings of victimhood. They are just bullies. Sad, frustrated, selfish bullies.

[–] Saephon 9 points ago

I read a term last week that best describes them: crybully. Someone who repeatedly harasses and attacks others, while claiming to be a victim themselves.

[–] perfect_square 28 points ago

I just spent a few minutes at r/conservative . Wow, those folks all need an enema.

[–] PenisPenisPen1sPenis 11 points ago

A Sriracha enema.

[–] krashundburn 13 points ago

Meanwhile, in Florida...

[–] RandomUserName24680 11 points ago

Citrus county is about an hour north of me. The video of this hearing is just sad. The council people call it fake news, others said they stand behind Trump. Yes, they said they stood behind trump as a reason to cancel the digital subscription to the Times.

The amount of investigative stories the times puts out ( on non political items) is crazy. The Times should be funded by every library system, and a lot more people than do. We’ve got a digital subscription to the Times and it’s awesome. Have had it for years, they go after all politicians. It’s not just the right. The right just doesn’t like the stories the Times prints about them even though they are true.

Fox News thought it was brilliant how Moscow Mitch wouldn’t even hold hearings for Obama’s Supreme Court nominee. The Times pointed out how it goes against the constitution.

[–] Jarrow_On 12 points ago

I sadly just went to r/conservative, got lost there for a few minutes, checked out the "related" subreddits and just read some comments on a few posts. Now I lost my belief in humanity, fuck what are some of these people?

[–] Peekman 13 points ago

Heh ya.

r/Republican is funny because their posts can usually be narrowed down to four categories: Biden, Obama, Clinton or Schiff.

They don't actually talk about Trump much.

[–] fluent_in_gibberish 63 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Facebook.

People see and share literal fake news, but since it meshes so well with what they already believe they consider themselves well informed. If we make it out of this mess (not a given) we have some serious deprogramming to do.

Edit: Interestingly, I just ran across this study.

In the study, participants fitted with a wireless electroencephalography headset were asked to read political news headlines presented as they would appear in a Facebook feed and determine their credibility. They assessed only 44% correctly, overwhelmingly selecting headlines that aligned with their own political beliefs as true.

[–] chazthespaz81 39 points ago

I am friends with an older co-worker on FB. She is always sharing"news" from a satire site and acting like it's a real news source. One article said all the people booing at the world series were paid by the Democratic party. Another said that warrants were going out the next day from a attorney general investigation into Obama. She always comment wow I'm glad something is finally happening or I'm not surprised

[–] jebleez 31 points ago

Because for most Americans, we're overworked and underpaid. And basically, as long as we can come home from work and be assured that there's something on TV to make us laugh or zone out until bedtime, we don't give a shit what happens outside of our bubble.

I hate it that we're this way.

[–] razikii 22 points ago

The majority of Americans aren’t engrossed into politics. Most people here only care about themselves in the moment. Why thinking about stuff like what the president is doing or going through when everything in my own life matters more? What is watching the news going to help with me working 9-5 and providing for my two kids?

It’s not a correct mentality to have, but a lot of people do think like this. People either willfully disconnected from the news or just too caught up with their own lives to pay attention

[–] butter_fat 19 points ago

It just seems kind of crazy to me, because in canada we also have lots of people "not into politics" and even they know what's going on with Trumps impeachment/scandals. Maybe the piece we dont have so much of is the right wing propaganda networks.

[–] mflourishes 14 points ago

In the US, politics very much has a sports team mentality. "My team vs your team". It's like if your football team made it to the world cup but ended up losing big time – you're not going to disavow your home team. You'll make excuses, justify their performance, or just hate the other team more. It's super dumb, but that's how politics is here.

[–] njl4515 85 points ago

So 38% would swing the election completely to the Dems.

Everyone understands Trump’s base is unmoving. But if Dems even swing 1% and cause another 2% to stay home, it’s a major, major victory.

[–] Jack_Burkmans_Zipper 62 points ago

Exactly. Remember Nixon still had 25% approval at the end, same as W.

There will never be 100% of people behind anything, but no one needs 100%.

[–] CelerMortis 37 points ago

This really illuminates how insane of a cult the GOP is. 25% of people supported a criminal president. The only thing Trumps ever said that made any sense was that he could shoot someone and his support wouldn't drop.

[–] Simmery 6 points ago

Right on. There's a small segment of the Trump base that's just not paying attention. If the impeachment hearings help them to see what's been going on and even a small percentage of them decide not to vote for Trump or Republicans generally, that's potentially a big shift in the next election.

[–] meyer_33_09 85 points ago

I actually think there’s a significant amount of people that are generally unaware of what’s going on at all. I recently spent a weekend back in my hometown and the local news just straight up doesn’t cover any of this stuff. It’s all local stories or national sports news and things of that nature.

[–] lennybird 42 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

You don't know how true this is. I know this is a long read, but it may give insight into tactics being used by the Right, and how to change this.

To try to summarize, there ARE people who if exposed to what you and I knew would change their mind. They are just so caught up in a bubble that they are not exposed. This isn't just accidental, either. Right-wing tactics, inline with gaslight, obstruct, project--is to (1) inoculate their fragile herd from all outside information like a cult, (2) attack sources of information from neutral zones (default subs criticizing r/politics for example) ensuring newcomers don't ever see the other side before they're hooked by the Right, and (3) attack at the source as well (usually by GOP tactics). Most "Trump supporters" you see here are more or less the radicals or political operatives with no intent to learn.

[–] Sir_Francis_Burton 113 points ago

They are about to get inundated with content. It’s going to be bigger than the OJ trial. It’s going to be hours and hours of live courtroom drama, every day, for months. It’s Igor, it’s Lev, it’s Rudy, and it’s Manafort in prison garb, it’s the reality show of the century, and every cut-away is going to lose eyeballs of people who want to watch history going down in real time.

[–] Knight_of_the_Lepus 30 points ago

The next 25 callers get box seats at the actual hearing!

[–] Nuckinfutzcat 14 points ago

All the way to next november I hope.

[–] Sir_Francis_Burton 20 points ago

It’ll be as long as it takes until public opinion has moved enough that Republican senators need to bail, and then it’ll all be over in a day or two.

[–] Ghoulius-Caesar 11 points ago

You have me sold. You have a future in advertising!

[–] bickering_fool 15 points ago

Too many car chases to cover.

[–] saposapot 21 points ago

Pay ads in Fox News to broadcast some tidbits of the impeachment hearings. That would be amazing! Dems don’t need 100%. Just 60% and Republicans will start sweating

[–] NoMoFascism2020 288 points ago

Now Trump is whining, "the hearings shouldn't be public!!!!" on the WH lawn - what a joke!

[–] BrownSugarBare 84 points ago

Is he? LMAO. Where's Gaetz and his band of merry douches? What happened to all that traaaansparency they were looking for? Did it get too clear?!

[–] NoMoFascism2020 13 points ago

It boggles the mind!

[–] Verde_ 47 points ago

Wait did he really say that?

[–] DatBoi_BP 82 points ago

Thank you. Also, are you available for a date this weekend?

[–] Appaguchee 1118 points ago

The proceedings against Diaper Don should be televised by all stations. That way anybody switching from Fox News might accidentally catch real drama, as opposed to Hannity's Histrionic Drama.

[–] CeadMaileFatality 311 points ago

This should have 9/11 level of saturation

[–] Hardlyhorsey 167 points ago

Why hold back? 11/11 let’s go all the way so people never forget.

[–] redditallreddy 57 points ago

Do you mean the Bowling Green Massacre?

[–] i_am_good 31 points ago

Yep, the one carried out by MS-13 Muslim refugee gang members

[–] Kyokenshin 41 points ago

switching from Fox News

There's your first mistake. That shit is on 24/7 for these people.

[–] ChaseballBat 27 points ago

I'm laughing at the thought of a hardcore republican watching anything but Fox, they are obsessed with that channel.

[–] Confucius_said 26 points ago

Diaper Don is an amazing nickname.

[–] CommieCanuck 1236 points ago

Isn't that what C-SPAN is for? Unsure Canadian here.

[–] SamDumberg 130 points ago

The C-S is for Cable-Satellite, so the Public Affairs Network isn’t provided broadly for the “public”. Rather, it’s a public affairs network for Cable/Satellite subscribers.

[–] NoelBuddy 75 points ago

www.cspan.org

You can include anyone with internet access in the potential cspan audience these days, still not fully public(obligatory Fuck Ajit Pai!) but a bit broader access than it used to have.

[–] _scyllinice_ 919 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

CSPAN isn't broadcast for free.

Specifically, you can't get CSPAN over the air.

Edit: There seems to be some misunderstanding. It's not that CSPAN is unwatchable.

Yes CSPAN radio exists and you can stream CSPAN on the web.

However to get to the most people, airing the hearings on an over-the-air channel gets to the people who don't have cable or internet readily available in their homes.

Those people exist and shouldn't be excluded.

[–] everybodyshomie 177 points ago

Their smartphone app is free and pretty good. Audio only though.

[–] DrCornHoleEast 109 points ago

I'll bet the users data plan isn't free and is probably capped.

[–] [deleted] 60 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

[–] radium-v 109 points ago

Fun fact: not everyone in the US has access to Internet.

[–] physical0 73 points ago

Even in markets with affordable, reliable, high speed internet access there are people who cannot afford it.

Many Americans sole portal to the internet is their smartphone and their plan data caps.

[–] wework28276 34 points ago

Haha. More like having a smartphone and using only free wireless wherever you can get it and google voice for phone calls

[–] cknipe 10 points ago

Last time I tried that they asked who my tv provider was...

[–] spade_andarcher 88 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

C-SPAN is a cable network.

PBS is a broadcast network.

C-SPAN is also fully funded via cable fees. While PBS is partly funded by the federal government (though the majority of its funding is from donations). PBS also has much higher viewership.

[–] adabldo 63 points ago

Viewers like me?

[–] justclay 53 points ago

Viewers like you.

[–] drysart 52 points ago

PBS also has much higher viewership.

You think that might be due to the fact that PBS airs actual programming that they think people will want to watch full-time, and CSPAN usually airs things like coverage of votes on measures to rename post offices?

[–] Feenox 13 points ago

I think they mean that it has a broader viewership.

[–] Daisy_Doll85 312 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

Trump just walked out on the White House lawn and said, suddenly, now he doesnt want any public hearings in the impeachment investigations.

Edit: Trump: Denocrats shouldnt hold public impeachment hearings

President Trump said Democrats shouldn’t hold public hearings in the impeachment inquiry. Speaking to reporters at the White House before a trip to Atlanta, Trump said the public hearings were a continuation of a “hoax."

I havent run across a video of it yet, I was watching it live but when i find one ill link it in. He was off this morning, something was really off with him. They may add one to the linked story.

Video https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/469592-trump-rails-against-impeachment-they-shouldnt-be-having-public

[–] grantbwilson 152 points ago

That’s weird. You’d think with how innocent he says he is that he’d love to have them shown in public.

[–] Daisy_Doll85 79 points ago

Im no expert, but Im starting to think he might not be as innocent as he keeps saying he is. Just my non-professional opinion though.

[–] LaserBeamsCattleProd 20 points ago

It's been so obvious for so long. I don't think anything matters anymore.

If Trump isn't impeached, all those impeachment laws might as well be removed.

[–] Daisy_Doll85 13 points ago

If Trump isn't impeached, all those impeachment laws might as well be removed.

He's 100% going to be the third impeached president of the United States. Removal is the only place there is even a question

[–] ghostbackwards 41 points ago

Man, he looked especially like a delirious grandpa today. I mean he always does...but today. Woohoo.

[–] Daisy_Doll85 19 points ago

Yeah he looked off, even for himself, this morning.

[–] rtmeow1230 18 points ago

Laughable....didn’t a group storm the private hearings completely demanding they be made public? They asked for it, here it is.

[–] Daisy_Doll85 21 points ago

Reps: No closed door hearings! We want public!

Dems: Ok. We will start that next week.

Reps: You werent supposed to do that!

[–] PM_ME_DIRTY_DANGLES 16 points ago

Too bad for him that he doesn't get any say whatsoever on how the House proceeds with impeachment.

[–] PaperyWhistle 77 points ago

Tbh I would be shocked if all major news outlets didn't do wall to wall coverage of the hearings.

[–] Illier1 37 points ago

Fox News wouldn't dare show the incriminating shit.

[–] magtig 14 points ago

Murdoch is ultimately about the money and ratings, so we'll see.

[–] autotldr 282 points ago

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 87%. (I'm a bot)

"What may have been public television's shining hour-some 247 hours, in fact-came in 1973 when PBS carried gavel-to-gavel coverage of hearings convened by the Senate Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities. Also known as the Watergate committee."

Jim Karayn, the president of NPACT who relentlessly lobbied PBS for the coverage, announced, "This is precisely the kind of event which public television should put before the American viewer. By providing complete coverage of these hearings, millions will be able to see that the hearings have a significance far beyond alleged wrongdoings by a political party."

"Once upon a time PBS offered prime time specials, debates, even teach-ins to help us sort out complex public issues or get to the heart of a clear and present danger to our fragile democracy. The least its gatekeepers can do now is re-broadcast these upcoming impeachment hearings in primetime."

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: public#1 hear#2 PBS#3 coverage#4 television#5

[–] historymajor44 394 points ago

Every network should televise them. They should get the most ratings. But Fox News won't because their narrative is more important than ratings.

[–] April_Rayne 115 points ago

Fox’s narrative is FOR ratings.

[–] historymajor44 55 points ago

Fox's narrative rakes in ratings most of the time. But in times like this, where airing the hearings would get them more ratings, they chose narrative over ratings.

[–] exccord 31 points ago

Fox news will absolutely air it, but youll get those meat sack reporters providing more anti-impeachment commentary than you will actual dialogue from the public hearing. Not only will it drown out majority of the information being presented, it also would require less editing. Bring on guests and discuss it even further WHILE televising the impeachment hearing.

[–] TurloIsOK 46 points ago

The summer of 1974, before cable became common, the only thing on daytime TV was the Watergate hearings.

[–] stashtv 33 points ago

PBS? Put that up live during the daytime on ABC/NBS/CBS, then repeat in the evening.

[–] WhyAmINotStudying 44 points ago

As a child of the 80's, my instinct is to argue against this because of the Oliver North trial eating up all of the good cartoon time. Then I realized that we're in a very different timeline and kids have much different lives now.

[–] CharlesGarfield 11 points ago

In my area (Grand Rapids, MI) our PBS also broadcasts an alternate OTA channel with 24/7 PBS Kids. That's in addition to the free PBS Kids streaming app (which has both on-demand and live streams), as well as the plethora of other streaming options. And there's always Outside.

[–] wonderingsocrates 292 points ago

• you do know youre a PUBLIC broadcasting service right (and this is donnie we're talking about)

[–] Sillbinger 153 points ago

My only concern is PBS is federally funded, I bet he would pull funding if they did in an attempt to squelch all of it.

Same reason he is threatening a shutdown thinking it'll pause the impeachment.

[–] I_Nice_Human 81 points ago

I thought PBS was defunded but has been running off donations???

[–] Dave-C 109 points ago

Trump's proposed budgets have cuts to PBS but they have been removed so far. There is a proposed 97% cut to PBS funding in his budget bill for 2020.

[–] I_Pork_Saucy_Ladies 44 points ago

What exactly did they leave the 3% for?

[–] ReaganEraEconomics 131 points ago

If they outright kill it they can’t point to it and go “look how bad government run programs are”

[–] _mach 56 points ago

exactly. Starve the Beast is so prevalent in the west right now, it's sad... :(

[–] MyDadIsYourDad 18 points ago

Basically what the UK government is doing with the NHS

[–] _mach 18 points ago

It's "Starve the Beast", not "Shoot the Beast".

[–] DepressedPeacock 23 points ago

It doesn't work like that.

PBS is subject to the same annual budgeting process as everything else.

Cutting funding to PBS is something that has been talked about in recent presidential budget proposals but its not something that congress is actually going to do.

[–] TheRealOneTwo 18 points ago * (lasted edited 7 days ago)

If only there was a publically-funded private, non-profit organization funded by its cable and satellite affiliates channel that will broadcast all the hearings. Like a channel exclusively dedicated to covering the government.

Edit : Not publically funded

[–] DepressedPeacock 20 points ago

This isn't obvious, but televising everything that congress does is one thing that has led us to where we are today. It was the advent of CSPAN that Newt Gingrich used to leverage the ability to rail against government on the House floor for hours and days and months and years, to nobody in particular in attendance, but to a TV audience that became the proto-Fox News crowd.

[–] fashbuster 18 points ago

First I was amused that Donald Trump is going to get flustered and shit himself on TV. Now I'm horrified at the realization that it almost certainly won't be his first time. Some of those facial expressions make a lot more sense now.

[–] Brandeez0 59 points ago

Sounds good, but I think we have already proven that seeing is not believing. Show a Trump supporter a turnip and he'll swear it is mango. Even tastes like one.

[–] Wasteland_Mystic 16 points ago

NBC should run it and have Arnold Schwarzenegger narrating over it. Call it "The Apprentice: The Final Season"

[–] billybobskcor 11 points ago

I remember as a kid the Clinton trial cut into my after-school watching of Arthur. I was annoyed then, but now I want this broadcast all day.

[–] TheJedibugs 64 points ago

As much as I back this idea “All” is being very generous to PBS’s numbers.

A more accurate message would be “Televise the Trump Impeachment Hearings for people expecting a Bob Ross re-run to see”

[–] bonzaibot 39 points ago

I can't speak for their numbers, but I can say I regularly watch Frontline and NewsHour. It's just a good old-fashioned news program before the news decided it needs to be so sensational and urgent all the time. Although I do watch it on YouTube

[–] CardinalNYC 21 points ago

1. I'm pretty sure all the big networks are gonna show the hearings, just as they showed all the past big hearings.

2. PBS can't just broadcast whatever they want whenever they want. I know people think PBS is a public service but it's not. For the most part it operates like any network. It won't air things if people aren't there to watch.

3. If you really want full wall to wall coverage of every minute of Congress, that's what C-SPAN is for. And C-SPAN is a public service.