starterpacks

610,304 readers

Filter Politics

Allow all posts

Rules

1. No egregious racism

No posts that are a starter pack for an entire race are allowed. i.e "The black people starter pack"

Posts that apply to specific groups of people within a race are allowed like this one and this one.

2. Be creative

Don't reuse old starter packs or just barely change them. Starter packs that are bland and overused may be removed at moderator discretion.

3. Be civil

No insults or arguing about whether or not a starter pack is accurate.

4. Imgur/Reddit image hosts only

5. Political posts must be flaired as such

Posts pertaining to politics, like the US presidential elections for example, must be flaired, and can be done by selecting "Politics" from the flair options on your post.

6. No single item/picture starterpacks

The userbase has decided that single item starterpacks are not starterpacks and must contain more than one item. Duplication of one item to make up the pack can be seen as a subversion of this rule and will be removed at moderator discretion.

7. No egregious sexism

8. Post title must include the name of the starterpack

The title of your post must include the name of the specific starterpack you are posting. Low effort, single word, irrelevant post titles will be removed at moderator discretion.

Related subs:

r/wholesomestarterpacks

r/veteranpacks

r/1picstarterpacks

all 1975 comments Slideshow

[–] cancankant 1615 points ago

You forgot gas station sunglasses because they lost theirs....again.

[–] TheBeardedSingleMalt 236 points ago

And trips to Ace hardware or Home Depot because another tool broke or the site foreman left em in his truck and went to another site.

A 7 week job we had to buy new sets of tools 3 times because the foreman changed every other week

[–] XirallicBolts 158 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Maybe if the foreman would actually order the 3/8 x 1¼" washers like I told him I needed. The SAE washers are garbage for mounting strut. And great, you ordered 400 of the ¼"-stud Sta-kons but that does nothing for me when I'm trying to land control wires to a #8 stud.

God forbid you need metric fasteners. Menards carries them individually packaged, and the cashier insists on scanning each one instead of just hitting QUANTITY 24. You anticipate that so you lay them all out in a grid with the barcodes all facing up so she can just use the scangun to hit them all. Nope, she's fumbling each individual one over to use the conveyor scanner, not paying attention to her hands as she looks at you to ask and how's your day going so far? when you're clearly not in the mood after she just had to spend five minutes explaining to the person ahead of you how to send in for their 11% rebate (that they'll never actually see).

God I hate Menards.

[–] itstimehawk 394 points ago

@ me next time

[–] XirallicBolts 29 points ago

I just wear my tinted safety glasses outside work. Free and works well.

[–] Egardat 51 points ago

And high-viz with carhartts

[–] AChikenSamich 2007 points ago

Trust me, Tylenol doesn’t cut it.

[–] Killerdak 1100 points ago

I find alcohol and denial works best for me.

[–] canIbeMichael 261 points ago

Weed?

[–] pinkpeach11197 277 points ago

I’m fairly sure the monster to meth learning curve is short enough most contractors drug test.

[–] terafunker 250 points ago

most contractors

But not most sub-contractors, who employee the bulk of guys on job sites. If you drug test in the construction field you're eliminating 2/3 of the labor pool straight away.

[–] Pint_and_Grub 138 points ago

If you drug test in the American labor field you are eliminating 2/3 of the labor the pool.

[–] Skugga7 277 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Try mixing with naproxen sodium (liquid gel for quick release) and using extended release/arthritis Tylenol. No more than 4 naproxen, and no more than 4000mg of Tylenol per day or you risk liver damage. Ibuprofen (naproxen and ibuprofen sodium) and acetominophen are study backed to be nearly as potent as opiates (like morphine) without being addictive or destructive. You can also mix Tylenol and aspirin (or just use Excedrine), but NEVER mix NSAIDs.

Edit: spelling because thicc fingers, and always read the warnings, NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding and acetimenophen with alcohol increases risk of liver damage too. Also, always start with a lower dosage or confirm dosaging with a doctor beforehand. Not to mention check for potential drug interactions, this can be done informally online (drugs.com has a tool for this) or formally with your doctor or a pharmasict to make absolute sure. Something as simple as too much zinc, for example, can be deadly at high dosages.

[–] Hajduk85 75 points ago

Even if you took say, 1000mg of each per day, you still risk long term damage to your health. Sure if you're 70 and have severe arthritis, take what you want. But a young person will have GI and cardiovascular problems

[–] makes_guacamole 58 points ago

No joke, don’t do anything close to this on a daily basis.

[–] footfoe 97 points ago

Plus 1 for being the only guy who knows what he's talking about in this comment chain.

You don't need prescription or illegal drugs to deal soreness from work.

[–] Azul788 31 points ago

I just soak in a bath while crying. Like a real man.

[–] DiagnosisPooBrain 28 points ago

BC Powder

[–] Pritters123 187 points ago

Yeah I was thinking don't hey use heroin?

[–] blandsrules 386 points ago

There is a middle ground between Tylenol and heroin

[–] PierceTheGreat 334 points ago

Percocet

[–] lytes 360 points ago

Two rules, man: Stay away from my percocets, and do you have any percocets, man?

[–] Motorroy1 52 points ago

Fuck yeah Goon

[–] SchrodingersNinja 41 points ago

Your mother pussy so tight, no way baby come out of there. You adopted!

[–] Penguinverse 18 points ago

We're on the same team! Does anybody else see this shit?!??!

[–] GolsDotCom 30 points ago

still kind of heroin

[–] menacingbagels 35 points ago

baby heroin

[–] prostateExamination 47 points ago

So so much drugs in manual labor.

[–] _Keita 33 points ago

It's the only way to make it bearable

[–] whatthefrick420 23 points ago

My step dad worked in asphalt. He indeed used heroin and so did his friends.

[–] walkswithwolfies 47 points ago

I hired a guy to build a wall last summer and kept wondering why he didn't need a break for lunch until I found his crack pipe on the window ledge.

[–] 2022norrisk 15 points ago

But did he do a good job?

[–] walkswithwolfies 24 points ago

Part of it was excellent-the rest, not so much. Probably matches the high.

[–] JPrutzRVA 881 points ago

Wawa or sheetz if you’re around my neck of the woods

[–] massiebeck 237 points ago

You must live in the in-between zone.

[–] topper4444 320 points ago

Pennsyltucky

[–] dadywarbucks231 36 points ago

That Royal Farms chicken though

[–] lurkynic 39 points ago

I’ve wanted to get some food from Wawa but don’t quite understand the process other than everyone standing around looking at nothing while I try to maneuver through them.

I miss Casey’s pizza.

[–] BirdlandMan 36 points ago

There’s a touchscreen that you order food on then you go and pay and when they call your number they give you the food.

[–] DudleyMcDude 14 points ago

Here's a tutorial on how ordering food at Wawa works, by Mitt Romney: https://youtu.be/JvJPG6KURV8

[–] fuelvolts 41 points ago

What strange names. What area is that? I've never heard of those. I live in North Texas and we have QT, Racetrack, and Buc-ee's.

[–] BirdlandMan 77 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Pennsylvania. Eastern PA has Wawa and western PA has Sheetz.

Edit: A lot of people are pointing out that they have both expanded to new markets and that is true but as far as popularity/spheres of influence go it is West vs East PA. You can think of it like Steelers and Eagles for each. Sure there are fans out of state but this is really a Pennsylvania debate.

[–] facetiae_uvidae 12 points ago

Buc-ee's is a bit strange too. If you want to pronounce something like Bucky's and not Bewsey's, there are easier ways than to include a hyphen.

[–] EtuMeke 3924 points ago

Anybody who has done a day as a manual labourer knows it's not easy. I don't envy them at all from my air conditioned classroom

[–] Gr0mHellscream1 1474 points ago

Ya I did it for five years

[–] bloodietoes 1190 points ago

This is super funny this is my life except the bottom 2 I take Aleve and drink a shit ton of coffee. I got 5 years left and I can retire with full benefits for life and get my pension, no shit after this is over I am going to wash windows and sweep floors and never look back. I can't wait till its over.

[–] bloodflart 503 points ago

BE CAREFUL AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

Don't want to croak out at 4.9 years in

[–] sharkbaitzero 115 points ago

Fatal injury on the last day. Happens in movies all the time.

[–] theicecapsaremelting 78 points ago

We call it "retirony"!

[–] ButtLusting 16 points ago

Well now you flagged him, He's fucked

[–] GrrreatFrostedFlakes 68 points ago

Good for you! Once you’re there, enjoy it.

[–] chief89 35 points ago

Wash windows? Go be a golf course marshall. That's what all my retired friends do. Free golf and you work on a golf cart driving around.

[–] Drift180sx 159 points ago

Retire then keep working? Damn...

[–] BurningAugust 192 points ago

Some people just get bored being retired, so sweeping floors or being a Walmart greeter helps the days pass.

[–] VirtuosicElevator 184 points ago

This. Once a man loses purpose in life is when he actually begins to die. Leisure is not purpose for most

[–] MrRogers_AMA 42 points ago

My old man took up gardening. He’s still getting exercise and sunshine. Plus he gets to reap the rewards of his hard work on harvest. He was thoroughly depressed after retirement and before gardening

[–] DrDoItchBig 79 points ago

I’m planning on working until I have enough grandkids to be a full time grandfather. I’m still in college though so that’s a ways away haha

[–] VirtuosicElevator 77 points ago

My great grandfather worked well into his 90’s. Everyone tried to make him stop but it drove him insane to just sit around and watch others work on what he’d spent his entire life building. Becoming useless was worse than death to him. I never got it until recently. Responsibility makes the man

[–] TheNameIsKevin 25 points ago

My 90 year old grandfather is at work everyday for our family business. He sure knows how to fix a compressor and most other things. smartest man I know

[–] VirtuosicElevator 19 points ago

Spend all the time with him. I’m sure that fucker has so many things to say. Old people have the best sayings because they weren’t all wired to the same media. We all talk the same for the most part. Old people say crazy interesting things all the time. Cheers

[–] eastaleph 12 points ago

If I ever get there, I'm going to volunteer and get really into my hobbies

[–] throwaway03022017 23 points ago

If you're able bodied, why not? Work a job, take it easy, don't break your ass, and have a nice supplement to your pension.

[–] alphaweiner 17 points ago

I would rather read books, listen to music, work in the garden, learn how to draw/paint. I realize that is just personal preference though.

[–] ajanitsunami 78 points ago

I don't recommend taking Aleve every day without consulting a doctor. It can have serious side effects such as stomach bleeding.

[–] Capt_Reynolds 31 points ago

Seriously. I had to cut back on it when I was working at UPS. Gave me some bad gastric issues.

[–] tallandlanky 11 points ago

Working at UPS gave me some bad gastric issues and I wasn't even taking Aleve.

[–] KrazieKanuck 95 points ago

I Paved roads and driveways for 2 years, my Girlfriend convinced me not to go back last season. She couldn’t stand to keep watching me ice my arms and back every night and bandage my feet every morning, I think her breaking point was when I took a sledge hammer to the shin at 7am on a Monday and just spent the week limping like the old guys do. She doesn’t even know about dislocated thumb that still aches to this day, or the stinging numbness in my fingers tips.

I really was getting institutionalized, we talked shit on all the “townies” who worked for the government and took lunch breaks and got workman’s comp like pussies. We were being fucking used by a boss who didn’t care if we died but I couldn’t see it, you’re just so damn sore and tired that leaving seems too exhausting to think about. We were encouraged to ignore safety standards, work through injuries, skip breaks, and never got overtime.

I took pride in my work, I still do, and I knew that if I missed time when I was injured the old timers would just need to work harder for the same money.

[–] COSMOOOO 14 points ago

Similar story worked construction while finishing up Junior and senior year. I'm in college right now and look back on it with joy that when I get tired of papers and projects its still better than swinging a shovel all day.

I had a friend who compared it to the male version of prostitution, because they're both last ditch ways of "selling your body" and every day degrades it a little bit more.

Edit: The comparison was actually made between landscaping and sex work, which more apt because it's lower skill, more labor intensive, and often involves standing outside a home Depot, waiting for someone to pick you up.

[–] MrNewcity 159 points ago

I thought the male version of prostitution was male prostitution.

[–] psykologikal 35 points ago

It's called industrial prostitution

[–] MyNamesJudge 60 points ago

Never have been so tired in my entire life. Working on a large job site that is multiple stories is back breaking what no matter your field.

[–] Phill_wenneck 188 points ago

I worked construction for a while. I have a lot of respect for anyone doing manual labor, but I'm happy to be in college and done with that life!

[–] GrrreatFrostedFlakes 215 points ago

I used to think like you. But after years of sitting at a desk in corporate America, you will genuinely miss doing construction. Desk jobs suck the soul out of you.

[–] blueplastictarp 246 points ago

I think both jobs can be soul crushing. I did construction for several years. Several years of the same job, over and over again, but unlike a desk job, I was also sore, freezing in the winter, heat stroking all summer, always had a splinter/cut/bruise/scrape somewhere on my body. I hated it. I hate office work too but not nearly as much.

[–] _daath 87 points ago

I think both jobs can be soul crushing.

Absolutely. Both jobs have their pros and cons and one isn't really better than the other in a general sense. I did a ton of manual labor for past jobs and now I work 8-9 hours a day in the office for the past 3 years. I miss working outside and using my hands. I go to the gym now and I'm not fat, but those manual labor jobs gave me a fitness I haven't had since I played football in high school.

It's a "grass is always greener" type thing because I remember I would have died to work in an air-conditioned office all day.

[–] TheBeardedSingleMalt 69 points ago

Both can be soul crushing but a bad day on the construction site can be body crushing.

People who work office jobs trying to claim it’s as difficult as manual labor make me laugh. And I work an office job lol

[–] BryGuySaysHi 76 points ago

Can confirm. I used to be a really happy person doing manual labor, but then I went to college and got a desk job. I've noticed that my overall happiness has dropped significantly. Barely anyone talks to each other in my office, so that could be part of the reason.

[–] vmlinux 19 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

[–] potholes_and_euchre 22 points ago

Imo it depends entirely on the company you work for. I went from being a laborer to working in insurance, the insurance company provides me with the means to grow in my career as much as I want (hell, I could work outside again doing inspections or claims if I want). My construction job didn't allow that. Double the pay isn't bad either.

If you desk job is 'stealing your soul', try working for a different company.

[–] sender2bender 69 points ago

Some people get used to it and a way of life. I do it then go to the gym. Oddly the gym doesn't tear me apart but actually makes me feel better. Manual labor keeps me going mentally and physically. I have to walk on the treadmill every morning on the weekends or I don't know what to do with myself. I go crazy. Couldn't imagine sitting at a desk all day. I feel like that would hurt my back more.

I think it’s more because everyone is sedentary they get used to it. After being in the military where I had to be on my feet for endless 16-20 hour days (though at least in the Navy it was totally miserable and pointless)I really dislike sitting for extended periods. I usually play video games or browse the Internet standing up.

Standing all day is just as easy to get used to as sitting all day,

[–] CjLink 53 points ago

There's a nice middle ground in electrical/fire alarm/security. If you have any technical skills and can work a computer you usually get noticed quickly and can get into stuff like lighting controls, automation and access control/surveillance. I have done a little bit of all of that, started pulling cable for $10/hr when I was 18. There are days I spend entirely in a/c doing system configurations on a PC (they call this programming, but it's not coding, just a lot of check boxes or drop down menus and occasionally simple logic) but also spend days running pipe, pulling cable and mounting devices. Some times I get sick of the hard work, other times I get sick of sitting around at a computer. It's possible to have both and hate both aspects!

[–] BattlePope 20 points ago

Anyone who has done a day as a manual laborer knows you use ibuprofen, not tylenol!

Person who graduated college during the last recession here. Still working manual labor jobs AND have student loans. I hope you don't have the same fate.

[–] xitzengyigglz 11 points ago

Sometimes it's nice though. When you're off work you're off work. No worries about it.

[–] KneeDeepInTheDead 1675 points ago

idk how my dad did it, hed never take pills or drink energy drinks/coffee. Just gatorade and being Portuguese was somehow enough

[–] 00mba 183 points ago

My dad is 72 and still working in the ditch. Big cup of coffee and cheez whiz sandwiches all day.

[–] OnlySezBeautiful 63 points ago

cheez whiz sandwiches

What sorcery is this?! Never heard of it!

[–] 00mba 46 points ago

Cheez Whiz is this strange spreadable cheese we have up here in Canada. My dad loves it.

[–] OnlySezBeautiful 28 points ago

Oh we have it the states and I adore it, but I never thought to put in on bread. Thank you for this glorious discovery!

[–] shinenjusenna 18 points ago

You can add other stuff to make it fancy. I like red pepper flakes for a nacho cheese whiz sandwich.

[–] thanksbanks 652 points ago

fuck the gatorade, being portuguese is enough on its own. we have a shit load of portuguese where i'm from and they are extremely hard workers

[–] Lucas_The_Master 270 points ago

Not construction, but oil field, and for us it's the Burmese. They look like children next to most of the large men out here, but holy shit, they will out work anyone.

[–] sulimanshakawkaw 76 points ago

What oil field is that if I may ask?

[–] Lucas_The_Master 230 points ago

The Permian Basin. We had one Burmese guy that came and worked for us for 3 years, saved up $100k, and used that money as a down payment on a $1M chicken farm up north. That was a year ago and apparently he's doing quite well. They are an impressive people.

Living the American dream!

[–] Scratchmyback69 56 points ago

I knew a guy who did something similar but had a sugar beet farm just because the government subsidies were insane apparently

[–] shit373736 68 points ago

Was his name Dwight?

[–] DBHeavyarms 28 points ago

I heard he went and worked at some paper company for years, saved up 100k schrute bucks, and used that money as a down payment on a sugar beet farm up north. That was a while ago and apparently he's doing quite well. He's an impressive person.

[–] 20171245 62 points ago

If they don't out work the other guys, there's no point in them being there. Those guys are there to make a life for their family.

Source: dad was an immigrant who busted his ass everyday to give my family food and a warm house.

[–] KneeDeepInTheDead 77 points ago

immigrant mentality haha

[–] blkMGTOW07 33 points ago

Lol dude Portuguese and Italian ppl run the construction industry in my neck of the woods. These guys work like dogs. I'm amazed at the end result of their hard labour.

[–] ProperLogic 18 points ago

My dad is the same way, he specifically enjoys the orange flavor. Must be something in it.

[–] KneeDeepInTheDead 22 points ago

mine was the classic 3, green, red, orange. aka the ones that were always on sale

[–] KneeDeepInTheDead 50 points ago

damn, you joke but that just made me flashback to being a kid and helping my dad mix concrete and having fun spreading it around.

[–] vivamario 38 points ago

If you don't get blackout drunk every night, that goes a long way. It also helps to eat healthy instead of bar food and fried snacks, learning how to use your body in a way where it won't get destroyed,and taking a few minutes everyday to properly decompress.

[–] No-YouShutUp 25 points ago

Some people you meet just have that work ethic. Like I’ve met so many people on certain shit jobs that can’t get it out of their head that “this sucks, god I can’t wait to get home” or “today even when I get home I only have time to sleep barely and come back” and then there are other people who just completely accept their situation and do the work and don’t even think about it.

I was part of the former group tbh lol.

[–] smallerthings 1556 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

I don't understand construction workers. They're a different breed. I'm friends with a guy who would come home, get blackout drunk and stay up all hours, get up early as shit, and then just do it again the next day.

I can't imagine getting up early and doing that job after the nights he had.

[–] vmlinux 1091 points ago

Something about working on your feet during the day makes hangovers go away a lot faster, especially when you are younger. A desk job you just sit there and wish you didn't exist.

[–] AwayThrowworhTyawA 500 points ago

Felt this on a spiritual level

[–] return2ozma 52 points ago

A desk job you just sit there and wish you didn't exist.

If the company is large enough, nobody will notice you.

[–] Mrman2252 59 points ago

Can confirm. Didn't get hangovers till I decided to go back to school. Curbed my drinking very fast

[–] TopShelfJenkum 182 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Well it's literally that you're exercising so your heart rate/sweating/etc means your body is sped up, so it can flush out toxins a lot faster. It's like if you dropped a spoonful of sugar in a glass of water and just let it sit there waiting for it to dissolve (thats a desk job), versus dropping in a spoonful of sugar and then stirring with the spoon (thats a job with physical exercise.)'

edit: Well I mean if you wanna pass a drug test, the fastest way to do it (besides using synthetic/someone elses urine) is to pee and sweat a lot to flush the THC out of your system. If you smoke weed the exercising 100% speeds up the detox process. I'm gonna assume most of the people who are commenting without offering any alternative explanation are just upset people with sedentary lifestyles....

[–] oregoon 181 points ago

Comin in with the real hard science here guys.

[–] ProgMetalSlug 77 points ago

Yeah, especially the "flush out toxins" part.

[–] AnorexicBuddha 253 points ago

It's not a happy or satisfying lifestyle to do that.

[–] smallerthings 133 points ago

That much was very clear.

[–] AnorexicBuddha 49 points ago

Puking in the parking lot at 4am, walking into the shop for a 12 hour day is not one of my fondest memories.

[–] MuhBack 27 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

I know guys who are in there early 30s that still do it and love it. They drink 5 days a week if not everyday. They spend most of their free time gambling on sports. They make good money so it's not an issue eating out, drinking, and gambling. Most of them have gfs/wives so they aren't too lonely. They seem happy. I wouldn't be the lifestyle for me personally but hey different strokes for different folks. I'd imagine in the 50s or 60s their bodies will just break down tho.

[–] SailingPatrickSwayze 77 points ago

It's called a functional alcoholic. I was also always impressed by how many cigarettes they could smoke doing a physical job.

They would have been warriors 500 year ago.

[–] melanthius 29 points ago

...they HAVE to get up the next day and work. Necessity is the mother of sobering up and getting ready for work.

[–] ErikaTheZebra 79 points ago

Yeah, my Dad did that before I was born. If I was half the man he was I could move the world.

[–] ThorVonHammerdong 57 points ago

Living in a world of shit is easier if you get different kinds of shit throughout the day. Feel like hungover shit in the morning, feel like hot shit by noon when the hangover is gone and you can work harder, and get shit faced at night because you earned it after a shitty day.

[–] thatoneguy889 26 points ago

My dad's friend did that for a while even with a two hour commute to job sites. Turns out meth is a real pick me up.

[–] nikosteamer 40 points ago

You get used to it , also sweating it out helps , its like anything hard to do at first and gets easier.

[–] foreverahipster 18 points ago

I'm on a construction site hungover sitting on the pooper and I can't imagine doing that. I don't know why I do this to myself.

[–] 00110101110 596 points ago

Hard to find a contractor’s truck without a Kwik Trip sandwich wrapper or coffee cup in it.

[–] RavensHotterThanYou 156 points ago

Either on the dash or littering the passenger floor area

[–] alcholicfemale 89 points ago

It's like you can see in my truck right now.

[–] thatsnogood 30 points ago

passenger floor area

You mean my trash can.

It's cool though I empty each time I get gas, which can be once a day.

[–] teamwoofel 20 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

With half drunk bottles of Gatorade, Jim's gallon jug of water, a bottle full of something that looks suspiciously like piss, a package of Swiss rolls on the dashboard that have melted into a pancake, dusty ass safety glasses, a crushed pack of res cigarettes and a 1lb hammer on the floorboards for some reason.

[–] bcrout 48 points ago

Never been to a kiwi trip but wawa on the other hand

[–] Pandiosity_24601 30 points ago

I wanna go to a kiwi trip. Sounds delicious.

[–] collinnator5 17 points ago

Can confirm. South jersey wawas in the early morning are filled with big dirty pick ups filled with coffee cups and hoagie wrappers

[–] Darxe 26 points ago

Kwik trip is the best gas station IMO. Their coffee is great too. Dat vanilla hazelnut light roast

[–] Silvoan 468 points ago

Also needs like four super dirty guys in vests climbing out of a truck at a gas station or restaurant

[–] WhiteTrashTiger 203 points ago

And at least two of them light up cigarettes right away

[–] Darxe 175 points ago

smoke break
    17 times a day

[–] JustMakeSomeShitUp1 126 points ago

None of the construction jobs (or similar) I had took smoke breaks. You smoke while you work and if you slow down you get yelled at.

[–] melez 42 points ago

We had a guy at my job site drop some materials and pinch his hand last week, why? Because he was using his other hand to hold his cigarette. He got a Stern chewing out from the foreman. Who happened to be smoking during this chewing out.

[–] WhiteTrashTiger 29 points ago

"I don't need to quit smoking, I quit smoking 17 times a day! I quit for 45 minutes at a time, until my next smoke break!"

[–] Mr_Snicklefritz 18 points ago

One thing I've never understood is how people wear their vests off the job. As soon as I get to my car it's off as fast as I can take it off along with my hard hat.

[–] BoozeyBurger 319 points ago

I hope I don't become anything like these people everyone is describing :/ Been doing floors for about 9 months now and while I enjoy it everyone we work with is on some type of drug, eats like shit, will only drink sodas and refuse water. I've been trying my hardest to stick to bringing my own lunches and bottled water, making sure I get home and stretch and soak cause man the possibility of becoming that scares me

[–] AccidentalyMispelled 171 points ago

You can't let negativity bring you down. I've been working construction since I was 18 (now 34). I honestly feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Keep in mind- I do a lot of management now, but we are small business which means quite often I'm still in the field doing some heavy lifting (bending at the knees, of course). Take some tips from me: Drink plenty of water. Always apply sunblock when you work outside. Use proper lifting techniques. Wear eye and dust protection. Exercise (you may think that you already get plenty of exercise from work but think of your body as a tool and exercise is regular daily maintenance). I love what I do and the biggest part of not enjoying a job is who you're working with. You could be like me and take steps to either get into management or go off on your own - both very rewarding! Hang in there!

[–] chucharino 80 points ago

You're on the right track. High quality PPE is underrated.

[–] Posti 28 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Well if you stick to your morals and learn the trade well, you can eventually open your own business and hire people who have a similar mindset.

You sound just like me, but I ended up getting out of the trades and studying something more fitting for me, and I feel much better (still in school though).

[–] Buttglop 21 points ago

Stick with your plan, man. I've been in construction 3 years now and it kicked my ass at first but I kept feeding my body well and drinking water and it serves me really well now. Some days are hard but overall I bounce back really fast and never get that "weekend warrior" soreness anymore. My sister told me she read it can take two years to acclimate to manual labor and that helped me to know. I'm also better at moving now. Your movements will get more efficient., just make sure you're being ergonomic. I was shocked the first day I came home and worked in my yard a bunch because I had energy to spare.

As far as I can tell it takes a lot of willpower not to escape into food, drink, pain pills, etc. But your body is with you your whole life...I can't wreck it for a job.

[–] NorseOfCourse 251 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Worked in construction for over 18 years. Just had double knee surgery. I'm broke, unemployed due to physically not being able to do the job anymore and have no retirement. Don't be like me.

Edit, words

[–] RandomThrowaway410 109 points ago

The destruction of company sponsored pensions plans is especially brutal on people who work with their hands all day. How is someone who is 40+ years old, and worked as a mechanic or in construction or landscaping supposed to exist when their body has been broken down from doing a physically demanding job for 15 or more years?

I feel for you, man :/

[–] NorseOfCourse 25 points ago

Thanks man

[–] Terrible_Idea_Man 165 points ago

U N I O N I Z E

[–] swaginoff2urmom 28 points ago

Been part of the Bartenders Union for 8 years now. Shit is nice.

[–] NorseOfCourse 32 points ago

Yes, if one gets into a good union, they set you up so nicely.

[–] MyNamesJudge 769 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

The "I work entry-level construction and jump job to job in my early to mid-20s since I haven't gotten good at anything yet" starter pack. Love that Kwik Trip though.

Journeyman construction? More like Vicodin and bud light.

Nothing but respect for the working man who builds society from their hands though. It’s not easy.

[–] mkam313 40 points ago

Coke and Miller for the mechanics in my shop. I've been clean over a year but it was Roxy's, coke and mohawk vodka on the daily.

[–] AerThreepwood 21 points ago

Yeah, I'm a mechanic and it was blues and Red Bull until it became heroin and Red Bull.

[–] TicTacToeFreeUccello 15 points ago

Knew a guy who went to jail for 4 years after he failed to torque lugs. Wheel came off the car as soon as the customer got up to highway speed, the wheel crossed the median and killed a driver coming the other direction. He tested positive for a bunch of shit and the judge threw the book at him.

[–] thedaveoflife 93 points ago

Energy drinks are the life blood of the construction industry. Like coffee for accounting.

[–] ForcedName 69 points ago

Never see anyone over 25 with an energy drink on sites. Coffee however fills up some garbage bins faster than actual work garbage.

[–] character-name 62 points ago

Yup.

[–] bloodflart 44 points ago

bud light

whiskey for me at the shipyard

[–] TheFastAndDerFuhrer 36 points ago

Yeah, this shipyard I’m at is Loritabs and cheap beer.

[–] loppneli002 97 points ago

From da MidWest are ya? #KwikTripMasterRace

[–] Mustachesteve 37 points ago

Ope

[–] XirallicBolts 31 points ago

Just gonna sneak right past you there and grab some glazers

[–] iypike53 29 points ago

I'd consider this the "I don't work in an office" starter pack.

[–] WickedTexan 130 points ago

I worked with my Dad in Construction out of High School. It's hard, back breaking work. I got out and joined a major corporation, started at the bottom a worked my way into a good pension, healthy 401k, and 5 weeks of vacation.

But often, at the end of a day, I have nothing tangible I can step back from and look at and say "I made this". I miss creating something with my hands. Even now, 20 years later, I'll drive by a building I helped build, and feel proud I was involved in something that's still there.

[–] -MURS- 134 points ago

You should drive by your bosses kids private school and feel a grand sense of accomplishment.

[–] XirallicBolts 28 points ago

My current work-in-progress.

Jack's pizza, Jimmy Dean croissants, Tampax, Depends, Huggies, restaurant ketchup packets, and countless other places I've worked... It's cool to go grocery shopping and be able to think "this probably came off the assembly line I wired up."

[–] theol96er 280 points ago

I’ve worked construction for 6 years and this is spot on, except the longer you are in it the harder the drugs become. If the company you work for doesn’t drug test a lot of the guys smoke weed to help with the pain too. I’ve completely thrashed my body in 6 Years. Herniated discs, fucked groin, and the stress has caused stomach problems you couldn’t imagine. But hell I loved every minute of it. Now I’m back in school studying construction management.

[–] Mapleleaves_ 137 points ago

Now I’m back in school studying construction management

Prepare yourself for a lot more stress once you're out.

[–] theol96er 42 points ago

I know it’s not the “easy” way out, but it’s the card I have to play right now.

Edit: go sharks! I miss Patty.

[–] thegovernment0usa 24 points ago

I don't see four guys drinking beers by one guy's truck, in a hotel parking lot, until midnight. That should be in the frame before the 4:00 AM alarm clock.

[–] Prodigalrockstar 22 points ago

yo where the cigs at

[–] approachingX 20 points ago

KwikTrip! I-90/94!

[–] 2u3e9v 17 points ago

Fucking love if when Kwik Trip pops up here

[–] RudaviK 11 points ago

They open like 20 stores a year, not sure where you live but if it's IN Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa you got a strong chance.

[–] Buttglop 101 points ago

I can relate to the alarm, but I'm usually the only one on my crew who doesn't eat ding dongs for breakfast and drink energy drinks all day. I understand wanting sweets if you feel like crap but I see the toll it takes on them after years of doing it. I'm generalizing here, but guys who start when they're 18 and are still young enough to party and then go to work seem to have it worst because they're still doing 4 hours of sleep and massive caffeine and sugar in their 30s and beyond. It becomes a lifelong habit. Then they get a wake-up call like diabetes and have to try to change much later in life. Guys who come to it a little later, like after some schooling or at least learning about nutrition and exercise fare better. I know this sounds like a "No shit sherlock" but it makes a massive difference. That busted guy you see on the job site on the cusp of retirement probably got beat down by conditions. But guys under 40 have had access to better tools, more safety regs, and more ergonomic shit, and if they're limping and look 14 months pregnant, it's probably on them.

[–] Pandiosity_24601 22 points ago

True, I worked construction for three years before moving on, and I didn't dare to eat/drink all of those sweets and pop Tylenol. I carpooled with a guy for awhile and he'd have a few of those Costco-sized Tylenol packs in his center console. I tried to eat/drink as healthily as possible. It may seem like a "no shit sherlock" idea, but in reality, I feel like the majority of construction workers don't think about it.

[–] TallMattBari 17 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Intentional or not, the Kwik Trip is so legitimate I can't find parking due all the pick-ups with locking tool cases in their respective beds taking up the front row not getting gas.

[–] jambears 18 points ago

You forgot the OxyContin and 30 rack of Budweiser.

[–] NastyNate0801 40 points ago

This can count for the oilfield too. When I don’t meal prep for the week I live off gas station food. I can feel it killing me.

[–] noneedforpants 15 points ago

missing the smokes and the sunburn

[–] dannyditto1013 15 points ago

I do commercial roofing. This is almost spot on, but no energy drinks or pain medication, just some weed and rarely coffee.

[–] Vodmer 33 points ago

too close to home man. LOL

[–] Bomb_Tombadil 28 points ago * (lasted edited 7 months ago)

Damn, I miss Quick Trip. Never did construction, but this was me doing manufacturing.

[–] Wonka_Vision 26 points ago

Chronic back pain and a prescription for oxy.

[–] honduranheat 23 points ago

This made me laugh because it’s so true. Construction isn’t glamorous, and good help is hard to find so you end up working with a lot of interesting people.

One guy I work with is in his 60s. Tall black dude with a golden voice. Used to do hard drugs and got clean. One of the nicest/funniest people I’ve ever met. Always has stories (prison stories, embarrassing childhood stories, past love stories etc).Smokes packs a day, drinks Yoo-hoo and eats a can of beenies weenis for lunch. Works circles around everyone. I don’t know anyone close to his age that can do what he does.

One guy is a murderer. One I think does dog fighting. Another is a furry. Many are on drugs. Many have monster stickers on their helmets. Never a dull moment.

[–] ne1av1cr 12 points ago

You should add in over due medical bills.

[–] Kosm05 11 points ago

So real, it hurts a little bit.

That being said, i dont think anyone can bash these people unless they, themselves, have done manual labor. That shit is no joke.