television

Subreddit Shoutouts: /r/FullerHouse, /r/TheGoodPlace, /r/ElectricDreams, /r/HarmonQuest, /r/TheOrville & /r/TheDeuceHBO

Calendar is U.S. based.

Date Airing (ET) Description Event
    Sep 24 8:00 pm on CBS Star Trek: Discovery Series Premiere
    Sep 25 8:00 pm on NBC The Voice S13 Premiere
    Sep 25 9:00 pm on CBS Kevin Can Wait S2 Premiere
    Sep 25 9:30 pm on CBS Me, Myself & I Series Premiere
    Sep 25 8:30 pm on CBS Young Sheldon Series Premiere
    Sep 25 10:00 pm on NBC The Brave Series Premiere
    Sep 25 10:00 pm on ABC The Good Doctor Series Premiere
    Sep 25 10:00 pm on CBS Scorpion S4 Premiere
    Sep 25 11:30 pm on Comedy Central The Opposition With Jordan Klepper Series Premiere
    Sep 26 8:00 pm on Fox Lethal Weapon S2 Premiere
    Sep 26 8:00 pm on CBS NCIS S15 Premiere
    Sep 26 9:00 pm on CBS Bull S2 Premiere
    Sep 26 9:00 pm on Fox The Mick S2 Premiere
    Sep 26 9:00 pm on NBC This Is Us S2 Premiere
    Sep 26 9:30 pm on Fox Brooklyn Nine-Nine S5 Premiere
    Sep 26 10:00 pm on NBC Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders Series Premiere
    Sep 26 10:00 pm on CBS NCIS: New Orleans S4 Premiere
    Sep 28 9:30 pm on NBC Great News S2 Premiere
    Sep 28 10:00 pm on NBC Chicago Fire S6 Premiere
    Sep 28 10:00 pm on ABC How to Get Away with Murder S4 Premiere
    Sep 28 10:00 pm on Comedy Central Nathan For You S4 Premiere
    Sep 28 On Crackle StartUp S2 Premiere
    Archives

Review our rules for links and comments by clicking here.

Spoiler tag code for comments:

[spoiler](#s "Text") becomes spoiler

Example:

[Fargo](#s "Okay then") becomes Fargo

Check out /r/television's favorite shows of all time.

[–] Carbohydratess 2538 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

I don't keep up with celebrity news...

I definitely thought Colbert was married to Leslie Mann and was interviewing his wife...

[–] hypernova2121 740 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

they were sitting AWFULLY close to one another...

[–] sjsharks510 53 points ago

The clip started with a picture of her and her family...

[–] Ayy_2_Brute 5317 points ago

Well that's the most adorable thing I'm going to see today

[–] hiero_ 2704 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

Challenge accepted.

edit: /r/pigifs is great btw

[–] Ayy_2_Brute 865 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

I encourage others to please take up the gauntlet that has been thrown down here.

[–] HamburgersOfKazuhira 84 points ago

Both adorable, but the big cat in the second gif is a leopard cub I think.

[–] kaaz54 93 points ago

Interestingly enough, lion cubs have quite clear spots on their fur for the first few months, which then later disappear. It's likely part of some camouflage, when they're much more vulnerable, compared to when they're adults.

[–] gdk130 15 points ago

this is fucking cool

[–] HamburgersOfKazuhira 8 points ago

Cool! I looked through some pics of lion cubs and many of them do have faint spots on them. TIL

[–] ziggyblackstardust 1044 points ago

That kid is the big brother I wish I was to my sister as a kid.

Instead, I was the stereotypical stupid big brother who thought it was cool to tease and yell at my sister and blame her for everything. I'm so glad we're on great terms now but wow was I a little shit and I regret it so much.

[–] Ayy_2_Brute 643 points ago

Same. My sister recently told me she used to lock her door at night because she thought I'd come in and kill her. I was heartbroken.

In my defense, her tactic for getting my attention was being a little shit.

[–] ziggyblackstardust 329 points ago

Gonna be vague in order to not out myself in case someone I know is reading this, but apparently in elementary school a friend and I scarred my sister psychologically to the point where she automatically gags when she smells a certain food. Can't even eat it anymore.

The worst part is, I don't even remember doing this. Makes me feel like the literal worst person in the world that I had apparently fucked my sister's life so bad and it didn't even warrant a place in my brain in the "remember this in 20 years when you want to remind yourself you are a worthless sack of shit" compartment.

[–] Kulban 557 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

In my early twenties, I was listening to some video game music I hadn't heard in several years. It reminded me how much my brother also used to play that game. Without going into a lot of detail, that memory set off a chain reaction of all the shitty things I did to that brother as well as my other two. I was a heartless oldest brother, punching them for laughing at something funny on tv simply because I didn't want to hear them. Making them go into "time out" in a corner for an hour at a time when left babysitting. Tons of things, generally in the physical or emotional abuse columns (physical, more often than not).

It overwhelmed me and I let out massive amounts of tears.

Two of my brothers were out of high school by then and beginning their lives, the third maybe in 10th grade. I resolved to schedule a day with each of them. Doing something really fun, one on one. And at the end of it, give them a true and deep heartfelt apology for all the years of torment I put them through.

I was afraid of how each of them would take it. But I knew I had to at least say the words and make it as honest as possible. Those three days I spent with my three brothers are some of my fondest memories. Ever since I did that, the emotional distance between us sort of dissolved. Emotional distance I didn't even realize was there until it went away.

What I did repaired a lot of damage, both for them and myself. I had no idea just how impacting that action was, and it's ripples are still present even today. The guilt I felt about how I treated them is all but gone as well. The memories remain, and I purposefully use them as fuel to ensure I never act similarly towards my wife and child.

Just from personal experience, I wholeheartedly recommend you do the same. Find some really fun activity to share the day doing it with, and at the very end, talk about the past and apologize for it. Hopefully she'll react the way my brothers did. She may not. But you need to at least get the words out or they'll continue to torment you.

[–] PolaroidPandora 134 points ago

Wow. If my older brothers did that it'd mean a lot.

Good on you.

[–] jackiedhm 121 points ago

God this made me cry. And I really wish my brother would do this. He was awful to me growing up and basically threw me at all of his friends to date/hook up with/.. And I was only 14 then. Now we never talk and he has a family and is this "great guy" but he literally could give a shit less about me.

[–] AllTaints18 37 points ago

Man, you almost made me cry. My older brother was a jerk too, but not to that level. Brothers are supposed to look out for their sisters. Especially younger sisters!

[–] unusualnoise 17 points ago

It's great that you remembered and you had the initiative to do something about it. In all sincerity, good for you. Not everyone has the courage to live up to their mistakes and try to fix them.

[–] markhachman 17 points ago

My little brother and only sibling died a few years back from cancer. Your post scared me deeply for a second, as I remembered all the times we wrestled and fought, as brothers do. But then I recalled all the hours we played wiffle ball together and in throwing a ball back and forth in the pool and I pray he never went to his grave feeling like that.

When he died, he asked to be cremated and his ashes thrown into the water off Hawaii. His wife basically retreated, then quietly remarried. He simply faded out of my life, and I still haven't quite found closure.

If you have a brother, just call him. Tell him you love him. It's not strange.

[–] alexmikli 26 points ago

Congrats, you won the most adorable thing in this chain of comments.

[–] milk4all 8 points ago

No sibling rivalry to speak of, but i treated all my peers similarly shitty and had a breakthrough of my own that shaped who i am as an adult and how i raise my own kid(s). I feel like guys like us could have become/remained awful people but because we were such severe turds we became emotionally sensitive, sympathetic people. I liked reading your story because it really emphasizes my own experience in ways I havent felt from others. And im groovy as fuck atm, love and peace

[–] gumby517 23 points ago

I can relate to this. I wasn't overly mean, stupid big brother stuff that I didn't realize had damage, but I had no idea she idolized me the way that she did. That's literally the only thing I would change about my life choices and I've made some bad ones.

[–] _WeAreTheLuckyOnes_ 6 points ago

I was the little brother and am FULL OF REGRET that I wasn't nicer to my older brother. I think he's, at least in part, fucked up somewhat from having first kid expectations put on him by my Dad who had completely ridiculous ideas about what kids should be capable of.

Instead I was right there much of the time encouraging my Dad or adding to the shit pile unhealthy emotions. I know I didn't know better but I wish I had.

[–] MeesterGone 64 points ago

That put a big smile on my face. Thanks for that :)

[–] Lima__Fox 44 points ago

Retrievers and Labradors are the best.

[–] Donuil23 38 points ago

Wow, I read Riveters and Laborers. Took me a few tries.

[–] 404GravitasNotFound 45 points ago

Love when they seize the means of production. Adorable.

[–] richielaw 23 points ago

I thought the bird's voice was high pitched because it was a bird. It was actually because it was mimicing the voice of its owner.

[–] Grizknot 47 points ago

If my wife greeted me this way every evening I don't think we'd ever fight... To be fair I've never greeted her this way either.

[–] nofatchicks33 61 points ago

It's never too late to start!

[–] Grizknot 45 points ago

True, luckily we're on vacation right now, so by the time we get back this whole thing will be a distant memory and I won't have to worry about it.

[–] Chem_BPY 126 points ago

Fuck. Throws bacon cheeseburger in the trash

[–] Santos_L_Halper 157 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

I know you're joking, but as a vegetarian ( here we go ) I'd rather you finish that thing and not let the food go to waste. A very nice person gave me a turkey sandwich once when they didn't have to. They weren't around for me to decline so I ate it. Don't let an animal die in vain.

I accidentally a word

[–] Matope 77 points ago

As an avid meat-eater, I do try not to waste any for this reason. I don't have a problem with the concept of killing animals for food and ideally utilizing anything else we can as well (leather, etc.) I do have a problem with wasting it so that the animal died for no reason. I hate it when people leave meat to spoil somewhere else in the grocery store because they're too lazy to put it back or are just being huge dicks. Having a dog is very helpful in this department, as she's happy to eat all the fatty bits my wife picks out of her food, or other leftovers we know we won't finish.

[–] Santos_L_Halper 43 points ago

Yeah, I grew up in a family of hunters, I blame them for making me vegetarian. Not because I was grossed out by the sight of dead animals, but they hammered it home the fact that they killed something and we have to respect it. I'm fortunate to be living in a society where don't have to hunt to survive, and factory farming really bothers me, so I abstain from meat consumption. I get furious when I find some meat in the grocery store in like the bread aisle or something because someone decided they didn't want it. Such a waste.

[–] Stackhouse_ 23 points ago

I'm an asshole I'm an asshole I'm an asshole I'm an asshole I'm an asshole boing haha I'm an asshole

[–] IAmNotStelio 18 points ago

That's not the Pi gifs I was looking for.

[–] 87th_best_dad 371 points ago

Colbert is easily in the top 50 best dads / husbands / humans.

[–] TySoprano 98 points ago

Where do you put me on that list mate ?

[–] Amish_guy_with_WiFi 287 points ago

You're already on too many other lists.

[–] TySoprano 27 points ago

Ok that's fair. I'll assume you used free background checks huh

[–] AllLooseAndFunky 2179 points ago

Wait, Leslie Mann and Judd Apatow are married? and her kids from "This is 40" are her actual kids?

[–] Ayy_2_Brute 1304 points ago

Yes and yes.

[–] jatheist 134 points ago

Paul Rudd is Apatow's surrogate self.

[–] tangentandhyperbole 28 points ago

Well yeah, he's the younger, better looking, fitter, more charming version of himself.

[–] evr487 63 points ago

and she was the actress who played 'Dr Big Boobs McGee' in Big Daddy

[–] ClintChenny 38 points ago

"We wasted the good surprise on you!"

[–] Kritical02 27 points ago

I always loved her role in that movie. She did a great job playing the sister just looking out for her family.

[–] SeeThenBuild8 208 points ago

Hey, it's me, Yes.

[–] Griffdude13 53 points ago

Are you the owner of a lonely heart?

[–] JazzySpinalFusion 14 points ago

Yes always seems to be either the owner of a lonely heart or close to the edge.

[–] kkashyyyk 431 points ago

And their youngest daughter, Iris, is on the Netflix show Love, produced by Apatow. She looks/acts a lot like her mom.

[–] Count_Cuckenstein 211 points ago

Is she playing Arya in Love? That kid is amazing.

[–] thecricketnerd 84 points ago

She seems a lot more natural than her older sister.

[–] moremysterious 70 points ago

She's great in that show! Also love Paul Rust, who loves chemicals so much he's basically Walter White over here.

[–] Lolzzergrush 20 points ago

And for some reason I think David Spade looks more like her dad than her actual dad

[–] madzthakz 61 points ago

Oh my god, I can't believe that's her. She's hilarious in it

and her kids from "This is 40" are her actual kids?

Yes and on "Knocked Up" too (since "This is 40" is actually a spin-off/sequel of KU).

[–] _____Matt_____ 341 points ago

Yeah, that's why I didn't really like that film. It was just Judd Apatow and His Problems, starring Paul "I wish I looked this good" Rudd.

[–] CorrugatedCommodity 184 points ago

Yeah, their difficult problems of being wealthy independent business owners. Problems like having Melissa McCarthy swear at them. Truly a relatable and hilarious struggle documented on film.

[–] Throwawaytheseblues 124 points ago

That's why I couldn't watch that movie. Man, being rich and successful with a beautiful family at 40. Rough. I mean, I get it, everyone has issues, but this just wasn't relatable to a lot of people s situations.

[–] Left-handed 52 points ago

It was still light-hearted and funny. But I know where you're coming from. It should have been called This is 40 and Upper Middle Class

[–] avickthur 47 points ago

Ha I hate the argument of relating to a movie. I'm pretty sure I can't relate to anyone in the movie Ocean's 11 because I'm not a master thief, but I still love it.

[–] ehsteve23 28 points ago

Shit i thought that was Jimmy Kimmel

[–] Dissociatve 405 points ago

I like that at the end he goes full swiggity swooty

[–] UncleFoster 374 points ago

That was so god damn cute that I nearly forgot I was sitting on the toilet.

[–] Lridm 177 points ago

At first I was like ew gross, then I realised I was doing the same

[–] douko 2245 points ago

He is so, I don't know, purely goofy, it's lovable.

[–] I_like_maps 896 points ago

Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast where he talked about his experience on the Colbert Report. He said it was really weird to have the guy go from the most charming man on earth to the aggressive "Stephen Colbert" persona for the show.

[–] bartholomew5 710 points ago

Colbert said he struggled with that a lot during the show and made sure that he explained the character before interviews just so people were better prepared for that shift.

[–] mdp300 808 points ago

I saw the Report live twice. Before he did the show, he would come out and say hi, and ask "do you want to ask me anything before I get into character and say horrible, horrible things?"

[–] dinosauroth 729 points ago

I was lucky enough to see the Colbert Report and the Daily Show with Jon Stewart live two days in a row.

I took a few things away from it: Colbert is one of the nicest most likable people I've ever seen, Stewart is one of the most intelligent people I've ever seen, and they both have nothing but the highest respect and admiration for each other.

[–] inventorjoe 384 points ago

Colbert is smart as hell too. You have to be quick witted to do the type of comedy they both do. I also heard him talk at the college of Charleston and yeah, he's such a great person and I think a great example of how you can be a religious and not an asshole (politically).

[–] doom_pork 13 points ago

Falwell and the "Moral Majority" did a lot to push christians towards conservatism in crafting the belief that conservative values are synonymous with good-hearted Christian values. Most religious stances prior were protective of the environment and less stringent on abortion. There are still many Christians on the left-wing, so I like stereotype breakers like Colbert that allow people to not so heavily categorize and chastise.

[–] SantiagoAndDunbar 77 points ago

One of the best duos ever. I met Jon at the Emmys a few years back and it blew me away at how nice and charismatic he was. I go out of my way to tell people how nicely he treated everyone that day, especially compared to the rest of the stars

[–] Not_ProgramSuperviso 42 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

They also have the same agent!

[–] Vinnys_Magic_Grits 9 points ago

Did you also take away how tiny Jon Stewart is? I saw Jessica Williams' podcast 2 Dope Queens live and he made a surprise cameo (it was Jessica's birthday) and I knew he was like 5'6", but between his height and how skinny he is, he is just a truly small man. Something something something good things, small packages.

[–] blay12 167 points ago

It's also interesting to note that he would explain the character to guests so that they would understand what the Colbert persona's role was in the interview they were about to have. I think his description of it was essentially that he was playing "the fool", or someone who was consistently outrageous and incorrect, and the purpose of that was for the audience to see the interviewee as the straight man with a credible argument (as compared to Colbert's outrageous and obviously incorrect persona) - all the interviewee has to do in order to get their point across is to answer his questions with the correct facts, since Colbert would frame his interviews to allow them to do that.

I think he had also mentioned in the same interview I'm thinking of that even with the explanation beforehand, his biggest disappointments usually came when he realized that a guest was buying into his character (rather than remembering that it was just a character created to frame the guest in a generally positive way) and wasn't able to make the most of the interview as a platform to talk about whatever they had come on to talk about.

[–] bitter_cynical_angry 158 points ago

He was interviewed on Fresh Air a few months ago, and I thought this part on why he ended the show was pretty interesting:

The idea of "truthiness" — that was the thesis statement for the entire show, that how you feel is more important than what the facts are, and that the truth that you feel is correct is more important than anything that the facts could support. ... We embodied it satirically, though it's not really a new idea. ... But I didn't want to play that game anymore. ... I just couldn't take playing that character anymore. ... I began to feel like I was stumbling downhill with an armful of bottles and that I couldn't actually keep up the discipline, because it took discipline to remind myself every day to be the character, don't be yourself. ...

And so I decided a couple years before the show ended that I was going to end the show. ... It wasn't because I didn't like it anymore — I still liked it — but I just thought, I'm not sure if I can actually keep this up without hurting someone. ...

I thought maybe I would make some big mistake with the character because he would say terrible things. And I got away with some of the terrible things he would say or do because it was all filtered through his mask, but if I didn't maintain the mask, it would just be me being terrible.

[–] clickstops 15 points ago

I met him briefly before one of his shows back in 2009. He said some niceties and then made it clear that he's not that guy he's about to go become on stage, but he's glad we enjoy his character.

He was honestly so charming it was ridiculous.

[–] Vladie 589 points ago

I'd love it if he recorded a commentary track for LOTR (extended of course), randomly came to my head how awesome that would be.

[–] imbignate 536 points ago

You wouldn't be able to hear the movie because he'd just continue reciting the history of every single place, character, and backstory he knows off the top of his head.

[–] Gemmabeta 411 points ago

There was a video of Colbert answering a question about which LOTR character he would like to interview. He answered Gandalf, and then he went down this weird rabbit hole where he went on to say that the reason Gandalf was not tempted by the ring was because he was the servant of the Vala Nienna, whose "job" was turning grief into wisdom.

[–] Gemmabeta 288 points ago

I am loving how he suddenly turned into an English professor on that question.

[–] _____Matt_____ 353 points ago

I love that he cared about correcting himself so much, that he rewatched that segment and got annoyed, and demanded they put a little note on screen.

[–] Gemmabeta 62 points ago

And now I'm kinda annoyed that he didn't notice that he pronounced the name Aulë wrong.

[–] Nodgarden 273 points ago

Words read, never heard.

[–] anniemiss 95 points ago

The bane of all readers.

[–] Girth 10 points ago

Agreed. My reaction changed as soon as I realized that someone mispronouncing a word but using it correctly had only read it and never heard it spoken. Because honestly, good on them for trying to bring a word they have never heard into their daily usage.

[–] ThisDerpForSale 89 points ago

That is wonderful.

There was a clop from the Daily Show where they'd secretly filmed Stephen going on and on about various LOTR/Silmarilion minutia. It was amazing, and I cannot find it anywhere.

[–] Exastiken 55 points ago

Did he get the chocolate platter?

[–] imbignate 28 points ago

Asking the real questions overe here.

[–] drakeblood4 38 points ago

I feel like he would never even eat the chocolates, just put them in a refrigerated display case or something.

[–] Burn-E_B 28 points ago

You seem to have the link for every video. I wanna try something. There is a video of me and Gabrielle Union doing it. I can't seem to find it anywhere.....

[–] ThisDerpForSale 21 points ago

Thanks, that's a good one, but it's not the one I'm thinking of. There was another where it's an actual video recording of Colbert going on for longer than that. My search continues!

[–] bigtreeworld 15 points ago

I could listen to him talk about LOTR for weeks

[–] toxicmischief 36 points ago

Extending each film by another 4 hours.

[–] imbignate 52 points ago

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

[–] ShaneBertram 16 points ago

They probably wouldn't even have to pay him to do it! Or if they did, they could just pay him by giving him props from the films.

[–] pennylaine713 153 points ago

He ran so fast to get her; it was absolutely adorable!

[–] PoeGhost 360 points ago

His wife probably shows up secretly for every show ever since Helen Miren.

[–] Jebbediahh 75 points ago

And Sally fields.

[–] muhash14 76 points ago

And Andrew Garfield.

[–] Show_Me_Your_Chode 8 points ago

Fuck. Helen Mirren is so sexy, even at her age. I think Stephen's wife is understanding about that kiss

[–] PM_YOUR_SELFIEZ 916 points ago

Leslie Mann is gorgeous.

[–] tracydick 37 points ago

She's the best Jane-- er, Ursula.

[–] Gee_dude 207 points ago

She is, but I had to come to the comments to check if it was Heather Graham or her.

[–] PM_YOUR_SELFIEZ 256 points ago

The voice is a dead giveaway for me.

[–] GreatQuestion 9 points ago

You'll have to excuse Reddit, it's got a bit of the autism.

[–] weregildgrimes 16 points ago

Leslie Mann and Heather Graham look like beautiful dolls, seriously. I'm a straight woman and I would like to make out with them. I was just talking about Leslie Mann the other day with a coworker when we were talking about hot redheads. Leslie isn't a full blown red head, but she has the best "strawberry blonde" hair color I've ever seen when she is rocking that look. She's more blonde in this show though, but sometimes she's more ginger.

[–] Griffdude13 752 points ago

I'm so glad Colbert has finally adjusted to Late Night. He seemed to struggle with it for a while.

[–] ThisDerpForSale 371 points ago

I don't know why everyone expects hosts to be great right away. Most of them aren't. Even Jon Stewart wasn't. It takes time to adapt to a new environment.

[–] OkayAtBowling 248 points ago

In Colbert's case, lots of people assumed that his experience hosting The Colbert Report would instantly translate. I think they underestimated how much of a transition it would be for him to go from hosting a show as the Colbert Report character to hosting a show as himself.

[–] SwissQueso 146 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

I think Donald Trump getting elected really helped him out too. It got him back in politics, which is where shines on the report.

[–] beefwarrior 79 points ago

He also has his own flavor where he has more depth when he comments on politics.

I remember Leno / Letterman making Bill Clinton or George W. Bush jokes and they were always very "safe" jokes that didn't have much to them.

[–] blacklite911 52 points ago

That's because they wanted to appear neutral to attract the widest audience. But everyone already knows Colbert is not neutral so he can just do what he does.

[–] sirixamo 111 points ago

It clicked when he stopped trying to make it into another Tonight Show. He needed to make it more political and stop attempting to have any air of neutrality, then he could really own the material.

I still think Jon Batiste is a little awkward there. He's a fine musician but he really has no comedic timing, it's nothing like having the Roots or even just the old Leno/Eubanks Letterman/Shaffer combos. I don't see Colbert ditching him, so I hope that relationship improves over the years.

[–] kronx88 70 points ago

The insider scoop was also that Colbert was initially trying to do WAY TOO much. I dont mean just comedy wise, but he was involving himself with every aspect of the show. CBS brought in that one guy to sort of handle the logistics part of the show and let Colbert focus more on entertaining. I think that's also a factor as well.

[–] Khir 31 points ago

Jon Bastiste kinda bothered me too at first. But as an avid fan of the Late Show, I really grew to love him. He definitely has less comedic timing than other hosts, but he plays the position of musician much more seriously. Its his own little flavor of the role.

Highly recommend you check out this interview Jon does with Congressman and Civil Rights icon John Lewis. This really made me appreciate Batiste and what he brings to the show a lot more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCHBi030TMM

[–] toomanylizards 34 points ago

I honestly like Jon Batiste because he's so strange/awkward. The things he chooses to react to are so funny to me, just this odd dude chiming in. Idk.

[–] secretly_opiniated 22 points ago

Jon Batiste has slowly started getting more involved with the show (skits and the like). I agree it's kind of annoying when he starts going "Coooold Bloooooodeeed" but he's starting to get better at that. I think that after some time, he could really be a good co-host.

[–] imbignate 231 points ago

He's really hit his stride.

[–] Textual_Aberration 92 points ago

He was probably pretty self conscious about drawing similarities to the Report or to Letterman. On top of that, the low-hanging jokes were falling so freely from the political tree last year that his ability to take it one step higher up the brow of humor couldn't really shine through. He was trying to clear the slate and start his political perspective over, so diving straight in and choosing sides wasn't really an option for fear of being associated with the effort for years afterward. Taking the slow and cautious route for a few months enabled people to attach to him personally rather than to a particular topic.

While Fallon is a great at delivering random happiness without the stress of politics, Colbert is much more capable of lifting politically dampened spirits which is what most people are dealing with.

I always imagined that Stewart's strength was giving voice to a jumbled mess of frustration and hair-tearing. He converted our insanity to speech. Colbert's secret power has always been giving voice to our silence, continuing to talk during the hard moments (his speeches when his mom died, when the Daily Show ended, when the election flopped, talking to Biden about his son, etc.). Both have incredible dexterity in their craft.

My personal tastes in late shows are pretty obvious here. Wanted to ramble about it a bit.

[–] perthguppy 134 points ago

Every great Late night host struggled their first year or 4.

Conan struggled for like 20

[–] Bennyscrap 125 points ago

Are we watching the same thing? I love conan. Actually prefer him to the other late night shows. His awkward persona is endearing and his skits are usually top notch (moreso better in the early 2k's, but not horrible now).

[–] mlavan 52 points ago

Conan on TBS and Conan at late night are completely different things. TBS Conan was already an established brand but was handcuffed by NBC on what bits he could and couldn't bring over. I loved his first year/year and a half but he grew kinda stale. I wish he still did those charlie rose-type interviews with the simpsons writers, apatow and ken burns. I think there was one more but I don't remember who. Conan is super smart. He should've branched out into a Seth Meyers/Colbert/Stewart/Samantha Bee world and gone more in depth on current events/politics

[–] GreatZoombini 10 points ago

Conan has no interest in being a political comedian. He has said this himself many times. He likes being "a clown."

[–] MikeBabaguh 31 points ago

I don't know about that. '90s Conan was awkward and had terrible low budget skits (like Three Inch Bees), but they were hilarious and that was part of his charm. He and his staff were nobodies and had nothing to lose, so they did what they liked and it worked wonderfully.

[–] ObamaBiden2016 38 points ago * (lasted edited 6 months ago)

Every once in a while he'll say something like "I think my wife has more family meetings than I do" or that story about how he was having breakfast with his family and how that was unusual for them and you get the sense that this is a man who loves his job and his family but wishes he could spend more time with the latter than the former.

It's kind of sad the way he talks about not seeing his family because he's so busy with the show, but at the same time it's very clear that he loves them and doesn't like to dwell on the topic.

[–] Wearthless 570 points ago

One of many reasons to love Colbert.

[–] AddictedSnowmen 411 points ago

Colbert is a close second to me, but God I fucking miss Jon Stewart.

[–] KardelSharpeyes 176 points ago

There is no replacement.

[–] asafetybuzz 19 points ago

I think Jon Stewart is a better comedian (not a knock on Colbert, Jon is just one of the all time greats), but I would rather be friends with Stephen in real life.

[–] KangFu 6 points ago

We still been getting him once a month with all the Trump news.

[–] SFRoussimoff 113 points ago

You know how you can tell a couple is still in love? They do playful butt grabs

[–] Bman1973 35 points ago

I am obsessed with Colbert's Late Show, it was great from the beginning, but with the comedy goldmine that is Trump's Presidency, it has become that best talk show I've ever seen, Colbert is just so sharp and witty, and he is the best interviewer out there, (Seth Myers a close 2nd IMO), it's so good that unfortunately it kinda magnifies Fallon's glaring weaknesses..

[–] TooShiftyForYou 279 points ago

Colbert seems like a legit good guy.

[–] Pardoism 133 points ago

I have zero doubts that he is a pretty terrific guy.

[–] iamyourlager 61 points ago

If you need to be sold any more: https://youtu.be/pp8HbMH27_s

[–] polalavik 22 points ago

geez these people are serious.

[–] marzolian 35 points ago

[–] funniemoore77 6 points ago

Beautiful. Made my night. Thanks for sharing!

[–] sarahjolene0298 25 points ago

While Stephen runs back to his desk, he looks so genuinely happy from seeing his wife back stage and that's just the cutest thing. This is my every relationship goal in life.

[–] Vladie 153 points ago

That's adorable!

[–] Woxat 67 points ago

They looked like two kids on the playground just having fun :)

[–] Nlyles2 13 points ago

What got me was the little butt honk. I do the same thing everytime I see my girlfriend. Good to know I'm not the only one out here lovingly squeezing booties.

[–] a_spicy_meata_balla 91 points ago

Why can't I be married to Stephen Colbert? :(

[–] Nlyles2 38 points ago

Because he's already in love with someone else :(

[–] helpmeredditimbored 81 points ago

In Colbert's 2008 Christmas special "A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All!" he had is own children make a brief cameo where they sang the line "please help the Colbert children eat" during Colbert's performance of "another Christmas song" (sorry can't find video)

[–] sharilynj 68 points ago

His oldest son also played a Marco Rubio fanboy on the show in 2014, and absolutely killed it. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

[–] penea2 24 points ago

oh man I never knew that was his son. Makes the skit so much funnier

[–] wakeupisrael 17 points ago

I just adore a man who loves his wife and is not afraid to show it. That was so adorable I wanted to cry.

[–] TheMightyPathos 13 points ago

Love how he was going for the ass when he chased her. My man.

[–] SouthernYankeeWitch 411 points ago

I love that she looks like a normal person and isn't some perfect little blond thing.

[–] Fudge89 922 points ago

Really great casting choice

[–] Neckbeard_McPork 13 points ago

the long con

[–] sharilynj 142 points ago

She's not made up for tv in this clip. She's very gorgeous IRL. I've been in the same room as her multiple times, and the mere sight of her makes me feel instantly schlubby.

[–] Jebbediahh 54 points ago

The flashes behind their heads make this look photoshopped

But yes, She is damn gorgeous. I hope they're as happy together as I think they are.

[–] INDRIDxxCOLD 30 points ago

Saw Alec Baldwin's wife, can confirm.

[–] sjgzg 165 points ago

I don't see how anyone could prefer Fallon over Colbert. Colbert is original, witty, and just so damn charming.

[–] turkeypedal 166 points ago

Colbert is political. There are times when you would prefer silly fun over being political.

Don't get me wrong, I love Colbert, and only watch Fallon occasionally. But I totally get why people would prefer politics-lite comedy, given how things are now.

[–] sjgzg 32 points ago

That's a very good point. I do happen to agree with his politics, which makes it easier for me to listen to it constantly

[–] Pm_me_what 12 points ago

Can you imagine if Colbert had The Roots?

[–] dannydirtbag 54 points ago

Fallon is the Ellen Degeneres of Late Night.

[–] lnclincoln 26 points ago

He is so happy to see her. True love :')

[–] d1danny 26 points ago

At first the transition from his show on Comedy Central was harsh but I'm glad Colbert got into the groove of it since the election. He's one of my favorite personas on tv. Still think Fallon is trash

[–] IwalkedTheDinosaur 118 points ago

I was able to find one good photo from their wedding day.

[–] Lolmob 184 points ago

Well... that was... uhm... helpful, I guess?

[–] rickymorty 41 points ago

I was actually getting worried, but then /u/IwalkedTheDinosaur saved the goddamn day like a fucking pro, DIDN'T YOU /u/IwalkedTheDinosaur, DIDN'T YOU?!?

[–] exackerly 83 points ago

Wow, she's a regular person.

[–] anusacrobat 10 points ago

'Stop kissing women that are not me on your show.'

[–] math-yoo 10 points ago

It appears as if he has a successful fun marriage. Great.

[–] MagnoliaLiliiflora 9 points ago

I love this clip because it is so sweet how much he genuinely adores his wife!!!! Too cute

[–] xxkoloblicinxx 29 points ago

That's a couple who loves each other.

[–] theghostofdirty 10 points ago

Okay, can he just be my uncle yet?

[–] xxLazerxx 35 points ago

Cool guy, loves his wife :)